PDA

View Full Version : Duhon's next uni

rotogod00
07-06-2010, 09:54 AM
4 yrs/$15M with the Magic

Sorry, I know he's a Dukie, but seriously?

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5357340

theAlaskanBear
07-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Thats great for Chris! He will be playing for a winning team! CD is a great backup PG. He may be overexposed as a starter (especially with his back injuries) but I think this is a great signing for Orlando, especially given the dearth of tested NBA PGs available this year. Obviously, Nelson ain't goin anywhere, expect back-up minutes.

COYS
07-06-2010, 10:30 AM

Definite defensive upgrade for the magic, but it does seem like an odd fit given the magic's strategy of surrounding Howard with tons of three point shooters. Duhon does not exactly qualify as a lights out shooter.

theAlaskanBear
07-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Definite defensive upgrade for the magic, but it does seem like an odd fit given the magic's strategy of surrounding Howard with tons of three point shooters. Duhon does not exactly qualify as a lights out shooter.

Consider him a replacement for Jason Williams, who is a worse career 3-pt shooter than Duhon, and Duhon is a better player in every other facet than JWill (except maybe FT shooting)

COYS
07-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Consider him a replacement for Jason Williams, who is a worse career 3-pt shooter than Duhon, and Duhon is a better player in every other facet than JWill (except maybe FT shooting)

That is definitely a good point. Plus, the magic had no one besides Nelson that could even pretend to be a point guard before signing CDu. I look forward to the possibility of Duhon and jj reuniting in the NBA.

tbyers11
07-06-2010, 11:12 AM

What part of this do you have a problem with? As others have said, I don't think he is a full time-starting point guard in the league (on a good team at least) but for ~20 minutes a night I think he is a very good backup PG. His defense and playmaking abilities also seem to be a good fit with the Magic.

As for the salary, the contract averages $3.75 million/year. According to this article (http://www.insidehoops.com/nbasalaries.shtml), the average NBA salary last year was $3.4 million. As an "average" NBA player, this seems about right for Chris.

Now if you want to discuss why any athletes are making $3 million dollars/yr, that is an entirely different story :)

CDu
07-06-2010, 11:45 AM
It's a great fit for Duhon. He can now play a backup role for the Magic on a very good young team. He plays defense and distributes well.

For the Magic, it's an upgrade over Jason Williams. The price might be a bit high for a backup PG, but it's not a ridiculous deal.

The Magic have enough shooters on the roster that having a defensive minded, pass-first backup PG is not a problem.

rotogod00
07-06-2010, 11:49 AM
What part of this do you have a problem with? As others have said, I don't think he is a full time-starting point guard in the league (on a good team at least) but for ~20 minutes a night I think he is a very good backup PG. His defense and playmaking abilities also seem to be a good fit with the Magic.

As for the salary, the contract averages $3.75 million/year. According to this article (http://www.insidehoops.com/nbasalaries.shtml), the average NBA salary last year was $3.4 million. As an "average" NBA player, this seems about right for Chris.

Now if you want to discuss why any athletes are making $3 million dollars/yr, that is an entirely different story :)

it's the number of years more than the salary. not sure how his play the last 2 seasons with the knicks justified a contract twice that long. but hey, more power to him.

BigZ
07-06-2010, 12:09 PM
I hope he has JJ as a teammate but I wouldn't be suprised if they just switched teams with JJ become a Knick.

MisterRoddy
07-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm thrilled Chris will get to play on a good team and finally get a little national attention. Also glad that he and JJ might be teaming up again.

Olympic Fan
07-06-2010, 12:35 PM
it's the number of years more than the salary. not sure how his play the last 2 seasons with the knicks justified a contract twice that long. but hey, more power to him.

Blame the market.

Not a lot of point guards out there and it looked like Orlando paid the going rate for a player of Duhon's caliber.

Check out the recent deal Steve Blake got with the Lakers -- four years at $16 million. Pretty similar.

Blake and Duhon have fairly similar numbers. Duhon is two years younger ... last year he averaged 7.4 points and 5.6 assists (1.6 TOs). Blake averaged 7.3 points and 4.8 assists (and 1.6 TOs). Blake shot better -- .395 to .349 on 3-pointers ... but Duhon was over 39 percent the year before.

Anyway, that seems to be the going rate for a quality backup point guard, which is what Blake and Duhon both are. It will be interesting to see the deal that Ray Felton, who is in the same class, gets.

BTW ... Does this mean that Duhon and Redick are now the Magic's backup backcourt?

roywhite
07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
I hope the Magic hang on to JJ and we get a chance to see him and Duhon both on the floor.

Seems to me that JJ can be a good influence/help to Duhon.

MisterRoddy
07-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Blame the market.

Not a lot of point guards out there and it looked like Orlando paid the going rate for a player of Duhon's caliber.

Check out the recent deal Steve Blake got with the Lakers -- four years at $16 million. Pretty similar.

Blake and Duhon have fairly similar numbers. Duhon is two years younger ... last year he averaged 7.4 points and 5.6 assists (1.6 TOs). Blake averaged 7.3 points and 4.8 assists (and 1.6 TOs). Blake shot better -- .395 to .349 on 3-pointers ... but Duhon was over 39 percent the year before.

Anyway, that seems to be the going rate for a quality backup point guard, which is what Blake and Duhon both are. It will be interesting to see the deal that Ray Felton, who is in the same class, gets.

BTW ... Does this mean that Duhon and Redick are now the Magic's backup backcourt?

I would argue that Felton is a quality starting point guard, he just needs to lose weight...

roywhite
07-06-2010, 12:49 PM
I would argue that Felton is a quality starting point guard, he just needs to lose weight...

Stop hanging out with Sean May?

Still laugh remembering the Cameron Crazie who tried to reel in Sean May with a Happy Meal box attached to a fishing line.

Dukiedevil
07-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Well this is a bit harsh...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Chris-Duhon-agrees-to-terms-with-the-Magic;_ylt=AtvR1UplB6H535lX4LDhTWE5nYcB?urn=nba,25 3938

Sounds like this guy has it in for Duhon a bit. Maybe he is a frustrated Kncks fan or something.

rotogod00
07-06-2010, 01:58 PM

agreed. felton's PER last year was 15.25, while blakes's was 11.61 and duhon's was 10.72

CDu
07-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Well this is a bit harsh...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Chris-Duhon-agrees-to-terms-with-the-Magic;_ylt=AtvR1UplB6H535lX4LDhTWE5nYcB?urn=nba,25 3938

Sounds like this guy has it in for Duhon a bit. Maybe he is a frustrated Kncks fan or something.

Actually, I didn't find it that harsh. I think he's a Bulls fan (or at least has followed the Bulls) for what it's worth. His comments seemed to be about a certain coach (Skiles) and a certain team in the American Midwest (Chicago), where he kept getting a bunch of minutes despite many fans' desire to see more of Hinrich and Gordon (or Sefalosha).

He simply says that Duhon is a pretty poor shooter. He actually compliments Duhon's ability to learn the playbook, to be unselfish, to push tempo, and to play great defense. He even notes Duhon has perhaps one of the best backup PG in the league. He just notes that Duhon is a really poor shooter (which is true - his shooting percentages are not very good, and he's really streaky).

roywhite
07-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Actually, I didn't find it that harsh. I think he's a Bulls fan (or at least has followed the Bulls) for what it's worth. His comments seemed to be about a certain coach (Skiles) and a certain team in the American Midwest (Chicago), where he kept getting a bunch of minutes despite many fans' desire to see more of Hinrich and Gordon (or Sefalosha).

He simply says that Duhon is a pretty poor shooter. He actually compliments Duhon's ability to learn the playbook, to be unselfish, to push tempo, and to play great defense. He even notes Duhon has perhaps one of the best backup PG in the league. He just notes that Duhon is a really poor shooter (which is true - his shooting percentages are not very good, and he's really streaky).

Well, yeah, but he also throws in a reference to off-court behavior:

And because (speaking from personal experience) it's so damned hard to find a proper pub in Orlando that isn't situated inside of a chain restaurant, Duhon and his big-boy contract will pick up Stan Van Gundy's offense

A reference to partying too much, I took it. But, fewer distractions than NYC could be a good thing.

CDu
07-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Well, yeah, but he also throws in a reference to off-court behavior:

A reference to partying too much, I took it. But, fewer distractions than NYC could be a good thing.

Well, the off-court behavior has been an issue with Duhon, so it's not really out of place. He definitely had his troubles with the bar scene in Chicago.

I think it was a fairly reasonable summary of what you get with Duhon: steady floor generalship, strong defense, streaky/poor shooting, and a history of off-court issues with the nightlife.

roywhite
07-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Well, the off-court behavior has been an issue with Duhon, so it's not really out of place. He definitely had his troubles with the bar scene in Chicago.

I think it was a fairly reasonable summary of what you get with Duhon: steady floor generalship, strong defense, streaky/poor shooting, and a history of off-court issues with the nightlife.

Fair enough.

Ever since he won the 3-pt shooting contest at the McDonald's All-American weekend, I had hopes for his outside shot. Never could hit it consistently, though. :(

Chris has done some nice things for people in Louisiana after the Katrina disaster. Wish him luck in his new gig in Orlando.

CDu
07-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Fair enough.

Ever since he won the 3-pt shooting contest at the McDonald's All-American weekend, I had hopes for his outside shot. Never could hit it consistently, though. :(

Chris has done some nice things for people in Louisiana after the Katrina disaster. Wish him luck in his new gig in Orlando.

Agreed. The guy just couldn't ever get consistency in games.

And aside from his social life (just a little too much of a partier), there's not much other than positives to say about Duhon's character. He's a team-first guy on the court, and he does wonderful things for charity off the court. It is just too bad he could have just curtailed the drinking a bit.

And there's always time for him to improve that reputation. Hopefully as he's gotten older he's seen the importance of better judgement.

Olympic Fan
07-06-2010, 03:27 PM

think you seriously overrate Mr. Felton ...

last year, he averaged 33 minutes a game ... Duhon at 30 and Blake at 27

He did average 12,1 points and 6.7 assists, better than Duhon (7.4/5.6) or Blake (7.3/4.8). He also averaged significantly more turnovers (2.6) than Duhon or Blake (1.6). His defense is substandard and while his 3-point shooting was decent last year (385), he's still a career .327 3-point shooter (Blake is .393; Duhon is .362).

Based on career win shares/48 minutes, Felton is the WORST of the three guards we're talking about ... Duhon the best -- Duhon at .085; Blake at .071; Felton at .065.

yeah, I still say they are in the same class ... but if you think Felton is "a quality starting point guard" ... you are welcome to him.

I'm still curious to see what kind of free agent deal he gets.

MisterRoddy
07-06-2010, 03:40 PM
think you seriously overrate Mr. Felton ...

last year, he averaged 33 minutes a game ... Duhon at 30 and Blake at 27

He did average 12,1 points and 6.7 assists, better than Duhon (7.4/5.6) or Blake (7.3/4.8). He also averaged significantly more turnovers (2.6) than Duhon or Blake (1.6). His defense is substandard and while his 3-point shooting was decent last year (385), he's still a career .327 3-point shooter (Blake is .393; Duhon is .362).

Based on career win shares/48 minutes, Felton is the WORST of the three guards we're talking about ... Duhon the best -- Duhon at .085; Blake at .071; Felton at .065.

yeah, I still say they are in the same class ... but if you think Felton is "a quality starting point guard" ... you are welcome to him.

I'm still curious to see what kind of free agent deal he gets.

You can throw out all these exotic stats that you want but the point is, he still was the starting point guard on a playoff squad, and while averaging 12.1/5.6/3.6 in 33 minutes, that qualifies as a quality starting point guard in my book.

hedevil
07-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Congratulations to Chris. This move should provide Orlando with a solid backup point guard for the upcoming season. Duhon's pass first style of play should prove to be a nice change of pace for Orlando's offense when needed.

Billy Dat
07-06-2010, 04:22 PM
As a Knick fan, I saw a lot of Chris these past 2 years. He played huge minutes in NY, probably too many as he seemed to hit the wall around Game 60 each year. He made between $5MM - $6MM per year in NY so he takes a bit of a per year pay cut but gets the 4 years pushing his career salary earnings to between $35MM - $40MM. Not bad for a second round pick, and further proof that the second round is not a death sentence. Nice work, CDu.

He'll be a solid back-up to Nelson in Orlando. I wouldn't count on he and JJ playing together, though. Once the big free agent dominoes fall, JJ is going to be a hot property and may be elsewhere.

AZLA
07-06-2010, 06:33 PM
I hope this means JJ is one step closer to getting out of Orlando.

MisterRoddy
07-06-2010, 06:34 PM
I hope this means JJ is one step closer to getting out of Orlando.

Why? It seems like the other possibility is Boston and he wouldn't start their either...

mgtr
07-06-2010, 07:32 PM

Wow, what nifty point! OK, not meant as a pun. I hope that the Magic want JJ as much in dollars as they want him in words. This would probably be the best backup backcourt in the NBA.
If the Magic actually have a player who would rather pass the ball than shoot (Duhon), Orlando might turn out to be a great place for JJ. I agree that the Magic have not played JJ enough, have not run any plays for him. On the other hand, JJ started out with some minuses, but has dealt with those during his time with the Magic. He is now a much, much better player than he was at Duke. And, the Magic have treated him with great patience while he developed. Credit to both sides.

AZLA
07-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Why? It seems like the other possibility is Boston and he wouldn't start their either...

(a) Until this year, IMO, I don't believe JJ received fair consideration for enough PT and I happen to think he's more talented and deserving.

(b) I'm not a SVG fan and the only two people that should be referred to by his own acronym which includes the letter "v" are Eddie Van Halen (EVH) and Stevie Ray Vaughan (SRV). Why? Because they rock.

(c) Jameer Nelson couldn't get an assist for helping an elderly woman cross the street, let alone pass the ball to JJ.

(d) Florida, the lightning capital of the United States has more deaths than all other states combined and is ranked #1 in spending for lightning awareness campaigns. Combine that with the certainty that lightning would first strike JJ before he's made the number 2 or 3 shooting option on Magic's offense, I fear a tragic end if he gets the "green light." Did you not see what happened to priest in Caddyshack when he missed the putt for the club record and cursed to the heavens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYbUx6wZ7z4)?

(e) In all seriousness, I would like to see an opportunity out west for a fresh start for JJ -- plus, selfishly, I would get to see him play more. I wasn't aware Boston was his only hope. But, if you say he wouldn't get more PT in Boston, than I defer to you. I wouldn't know.

Sidebar

If JJ does stay in Orlando, I just hope Patrick Ewing can bestow his own wisdom on JJ and pull a few strings. Heck, if Patrick Ewing Sr. can, as an unbiased assistant coach, so fairly observe and eloquently say about Ewing Jr., "From being a coach in the NBA I see a lot of the talent in the league and I know what talent he has, there's no way in h*ll he should not be in the league;" then there's also no doubt in my mind Coach Ewing can make JJ a career All Star.

So, he's got that going for him.

MisterRoddy
07-06-2010, 10:48 PM
(d) Florida, the lightning capital of the United States has more deaths than all other states combined and is ranked #1 in spending for lightning awareness campaigns. Combine that with the certainty that lightning would first strike JJ before he's made the number 2 or 3 shooting option on Magic's offense, I fear a tragic end if he gets the "green light." Did you not see what happened to priest in Caddyshack when he missed the putt for the club record and cursed to the heavens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYbUx6wZ7z4)?

Lets be honest, at this point, JJ isn't likely to be the 2nd or 3rd option on a Championship-caliber team.

(e) In all seriousness, I would like to see an opportunity out west for a fresh start for JJ -- plus, selfishly, I would get to see him play more. I wasn't aware Boston was his only hope. But, if you say he wouldn't get more PT in Boston, than I defer to you. I wouldn't know.

Boston has a star point guard in Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen is likely coming back. I'm not sure about Tony Allen but if JJ were to go to Boston, he would most likely be relegated to the bench.