PDA

View Full Version : NBA Summer League

CameronBornAndBred
07-05-2010, 04:42 PM
G had a solid game today, although the Bobcats barely won after leading by at least 16 points in the first half. Henderson finished with 20, and had some really nice looking shots fall. Gordon Hayward made his pro debut in that game with 8 points.

McBobs just got tossed out of his game against Orlando for getting in a scuffle with Daniel Orton. He had 10 points before he got heaved.

Zoubek and Thomas play tonight at 7. I don't pay any special fees for NBAtv, but I'm able to watch the games, so if you have it you should be able to watch.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-05-2010, 04:48 PM
awesome man thanks for the heads up

MisterRoddy
07-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Before his ejection, McBobs looked pretty impressive, knocking down threes, getting good rebounds. The only concern I have is that at times, he was just standing around the perimeter on offense, but I was still highly impressed.

Gerald Henderson definitely stood out in the Bobcats/Pacers game. His mid-range jump shot was falling and he was very active on defense. He also made some nice dishes. Impressed with him also.

moonpie23
07-05-2010, 04:55 PM
McBobs just got tossed out of his game against Orlando for getting in a scuffle with Daniel Orton. He had 10 points before he got heaved.

i don't encourage fistacuffs, but.....for some reason, i kinda like that....

MisterRoddy
07-05-2010, 04:58 PM
i don't encourage fistacuffs, but.....for some reason, i kinda like that....

It really wasn't anything, Daniel Orton started it and almost threw an elbow, Josh shoved some. Neither should've really gotten tossed out but I understand that they are trying to clean up the game.

muzikfrk75
07-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Stephenson is looking pretty good at PG. I read an article that Bird is gonna try to play him at that position.

Orton was looking bad. I think he finished at 1-8 with 4 TOs.

I think that the games are also on nba.com...

CameronBornAndBred
07-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Stephenson is looking pretty good at PG. I read an article that Bird is gonna try to play him at that position.

Orton was looking bad. I think he finished at 1-8 with 4 TOs.

I think that the games are also on nba.com...
Orton looked real bad, and getting ejected didn't help, but he doesn't have to worry about making the roster. He should worry about impressing though if he want's playing time.
The games are available to watch online, but you have to pay $15. (Still not a bad price if you want to watch your Dukies)

CameronBornAndBred
07-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Does anyone know who makes the choice to play for players that are currently on the team? McRoberts is obviously playing, and probably helping himself by playing, and Henderson can't do anything but help himself, he said so in a recent interview. Hansbrough isn't playing, and although he will get his NBA minutes, he could probably use the experience. (Maybe his ear still hurts.) So, do the coaching staff ask the players to play, or do the players request to be on the roster?

Azdukefan
07-05-2010, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=McBobs just got tossed out of his game against Orlando for getting in a scuffle with Daniel Orton.QUOTE]

When does it stop? We value character so much but how did we let this one slip by? Daniel Orton is no saint but you have to stay away from guys like that. smh smh smh

Duvall
07-05-2010, 06:58 PM
McBobs just got tossed out of his game against Orlando for getting in a scuffle with Daniel Orton.

When does it stop? We value character so much but how did we let this one slip by? Daniel Orton is no saint but you have to stay away from guys like that. smh smh smh

Really wasn't that big a deal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kabelR5lgsI).

CameronBornAndBred
07-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Really wasn't that big a deal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kabelR5lgsI).
I liked how the announcers discussed it, one asked the other if it warranted an ejection. His response..."no." It was obviously worthy of the two T's, but shouldn't have ended the game for the players.

moonpie23
07-05-2010, 07:24 PM
7:21....boston game running over......

Verga3
07-05-2010, 09:36 PM
NJ and Philly in close game. Zoubek is in game with 4 minutes left.

Verga3
07-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Philly puts it away at the end. Good minutes for Zoubs, but didn't see Lance.

CameronBornAndBred
07-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Henderson is the Bobcat's leading scorer late with 19, but has gone cold in the closing minutes. They are down 5 with 2 to go.

nicktonyg22
07-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Didn't see the end of the game, but saw that G and the Bobcats won today (G's statline: 21 pts, 8 rebs, 4 assists).

CameronBornAndBred
07-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Didn't see the end of the game, but saw that G and the Bobcats won today (G's statline: 21 pts, 8 rebs, 4 assists).
They interviewed him after, he said he is there to work on all parts of his game, knowing that he will be playing heavy minutes. Said there are some really good offensive players there, so it's a good chance to work on his D, plus keep on his shot. He said he feels pretty fresh since he didn't play that much last year.

Bob Green
07-06-2010, 06:04 PM
This link (http://www.nba.com/summerleague/games/20100706/CHAOKC/gameinfo.html) includes an end of game video and a clip of Gerald Henderson delivering an alley oop pass to Jeremy Pargo.

CameronBornAndBred
07-06-2010, 06:14 PM
This link (http://www.nba.com/summerleague/games/20100706/CHAOKC/gameinfo.html) includes an end of game video and a clip of Gerald Henderson delivering an alley oop pass to Jeremy Pargo.
Thanks Bob. Gerald setup the chance for the game winner by getting to the line and sinking his two FT's with seconds to play. It was a fun game to watch, but I only caught the last 5 minutes. Zoubs is up later tonight.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-06-2010, 07:22 PM
McRoberts Vs. Zoubek!!! on NBATV. both look good so far.

Newton_14
07-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Watching Zoubs vs McBob live now. Zoubs just might be the best screener in the world right now. He looks good out there. McBob is still a great passer also.

In this Nets vs Pacers game, getting to see those 2 plus Favors, Lance Stephenson, and the James kid from Texas. Not sure about guys on the bench.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Watching Zoubs vs McBob live now. Zoubs just might be the best screener in the world right now. He looks good out there. McBob is still a great passer also.

In this Nets vs Pacers game, getting to see those 2 plus Favors, Lance Stephenson, and the James kid from Texas. Not sure about guys on the bench.
def a fun game to watch for all the Duke fans out there.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Wheres Hansboro?

theAlaskanBear
07-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Zoubs is going to have to fight for a shot attempt. Damion James is dominating the ball...and not in a good way. Terrence is doing well...someone said that he is being developed by Jay Bilas...anyone else know that?

theAlaskanBear
07-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Wheres Hansboro?

OBrien just said he still has vertigo.

Indoor66
07-06-2010, 08:12 PM
OBrien just said he still has vertigo.

I thought he might be reacting to the meds he takes for traveling.

Newton_14
07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
LMAO...

Damian James just ran Marcus Williams into the Great Wall of China, better known around here as "The Beard". James made the jumper on the wing, and Marcus Williams got off the floor shaking the cob webs out and asking did someone get the license plate number....

Fear The Beard..:D

In other news: McBob is now like 2 for 14 on 3 attempts....

amazinballer323
07-06-2010, 09:16 PM
I watched Zoubs yesterday but haven't been able to catch today's action. He was moving really well out there

SilkyJ
07-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Zoubs played 20mins (up from 13 in the last game) and pulled down 8 boards, 4 offensive. Only scored 3 points, but that's not his job out there. He also only committed 1 foul, as opposed to 5 in the previous game (fouls are not very telling in this league tho since they can't foul out and the referring can be spotty)

McBob with a 3-18 night, 2-12 from 3. Someone tell this kid he's not a game shooter...he did have 6 boards, 6 dimes, and 2 blocks.

Box Score (http://www.nba.com/summerleague/games/20100706/INDNJN/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore)

Note that Lance is not listed in box score, even as a DNP. Must be a practice player??

ACCBBallFan
07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Zoubs played 20mins (up from 13 in the last game) and pulled down 8 boards, 4 offensive. Only scored 3 points, but that's not his job out there. He also only committed 1 foul, as opposed to 5 in the previous game (fouls are not very telling in this league tho since they can't foul out and the referring can be spotty)

McBob with a 3-18 night, 2-12 from 3. Someone tell this kid he's not a game shooter...he did have 6 boards, 6 dimes, and 2 blocks.

Box Score (http://www.nba.com/summerleague/games/20100706/INDNJN/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore)

Note that Lance is not listed in box score, even as a DNP. Must be a practice player??
I read somewhere recently that when Nets cut the roster from 18 to 11 Lance did not make the cut.

SilkyJ
07-07-2010, 06:49 PM
I read somewhere recently that when Nets cut the roster from 18 to 11 Lance did not make the cut.

didn't realize they already had cuts. thanks.

CameronBornAndBred
07-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Damn, McBobs is 100% from the floor so far (and FT line), including a 3 pointer. 2-2, 1-1, 10-10.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Damn, McBobs is 100% from the floor so far (and FT line), including a 3 pointer. 2-2, 1-1, 10-10.

10-10?? is what?

BigZ
07-07-2010, 09:28 PM
10-10?? is what?

free throws

Newton_14
07-07-2010, 09:49 PM

Jim O'Brien joined the commentators early in the game and one of the commentators asked O'Brien if McBob would be allowed to pull the trigger from 3 (He had already shot like 4 by that point in the game) in real games.

O'Brien said and I quote
"We demand that Josh shoot the 3. We want our 4-Man to play outside, shoot the 3, and open up the lane for our other big. Josh has the skill to do that and is very good with the ball in his hands. We intend to take advantage of Josh's abilities in that role"
Well, McBob followed directions to a T. I agree with the approach with the exception being a full blown green light on the 3. Josh has all the skills in the world to be a great Point Forward. He threw a lob last night that was sick. He has guard like skills both ball handling wise and passing wise. But great shooter he is not. At least not in last nights game.

But all he needs to do is show he can hit the 3 if left open to make the defender respect him to open up the other stuff. But last night was brutal. Wide open 3 after wide open 3, mostly missing. His stroke does look better and maybe it was an off night? He was horrible on free throws as well.

dukelifer
07-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Jim O'Brien joined the commentators early in the game and one of the commentators asked O'Brien if McBob would be allowed to pull the trigger from 3 (He had already shot like 4 by that point in the game) in real games.

O'Brien said and I quote
Well, McBob followed directions to a T. I agree with the approach with the exception being a full blown green light on the 3. Josh has all the skills in the world to be a great Point Forward. He threw a lob last night that was sick. He has guard like skills both ball handling wise and passing wise. But great shooter he is not. At least not in last nights game.

But all he needs to do is show he can hit the 3 if left open to make the defender respect him to open up the other stuff. But last night was brutal. Wide open 3 after wide open 3, mostly missing. His stroke does look better and maybe it was an off night? He was horrible on free throws as well.

If basketball did not involve shooting, McBob might be an All Star. He does so many things well with the ball- but shooting is not one of them. His stroke may be a little better but it is definitely not comfortable and pure. He needs to put many more hours into it. Still he can help a team.

CameronBornAndBred
07-07-2010, 10:13 PM
If basketball did not involve shooting, McBob might be an All Star.
Thank you very much, I'm going to wake up still laughing.

On a serious side note, on your All Star team I would submit Duhon, who has made a career of doing "the little things". (And still trying to shoot)

Newton_14
07-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Thank you very much, I'm going to wake up still laughing.

The sad part is he is right. If McBob could simply find a way to put the round ball into the hoop he would be an all star. But unfortunately, that is one of the umm more important areas of the game???

You should have seen the little dribbling exhibition Josh put on last night during a break in the action. He was going behind his back then in between his legs from behind, and back around again walking forward. Over and over again all in one motion (With his right hand).

He made it look easy and most guards could not do it as easy as he was, if at all. He has incredible talent, but the dude just cannot shoot...it's maddening..

gadzooks
07-08-2010, 12:46 PM
I read that, too, though I can't find the article now. He hasn't played in any games.

CameronBornAndBred
07-08-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm crying in laughter. The announcers were just nicely talking up Zoubs after he had a pretty pass lob inside, and then fouled on a shot. While they are still discussing his chances of making the team (which they think are good) he airballed his first free throw. Poor Z, but that was funny as hell for timing. To his credit, he swished the second one.

theAlaskanBear
07-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Just to update everyone on some under-the-rader Duke players who are participating in the summer league:

Demarcus Nelson will be competing with the Bucks, and trying to crack a rotation that already has Dukie Corey Maggette.

Shavlik Randolph will be playing with Jon Scheyer for the enormous Heat team. Really, they have like 20 players showing up.

Elliot Williams will be playing for the Portland team.

Eric Boateng will be playing for the Knicks team.

None of these players have yet to play, and it looks like all of them will get some burn on Sunday!

CameronBornAndBred
07-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Shavlik Randolph will be playing with Jon Scheyer for the enormous Heat team. Really, they have like 20 players showing up.

The Nets' roster was huge too, but obviously they cut it down at some point, which was why we never saw Thomas play. That will be fun to watch Shav and Scheyer share the court, if they do. I never got to watch Randolph in any NBA games, but he must being something right to have the years that he has.

theAlaskanBear
07-10-2010, 04:08 PM
The Nets' roster was huge too, but obviously they cut it down at some point, which was why we never saw Thomas play. That will be fun to watch Shav and Scheyer share the court, if they do. I never got to watch Randolph in any NBA games, but he must being something right to have the years that he has.

It just got harder for Zoubek to make the Nets roster...according to NBA.com the Nets just inked a 3-yr deal with C Johann Petro

mgtr
07-10-2010, 10:39 PM
I haven't seen this elsewhere, but I notice on the NJ Nets roster for the summer league, while Zoubs is correctly listed as Duke, Lance is lister as "unknown" under college. Probably a fair assessment of Lance's "publicity."

SilkyJ
07-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Just to update everyone on some under-the-rader Duke players who are participating in the summer league:

Demarcus Nelson will be competing with the Bucks, and trying to crack a rotation that already has Dukie Corey Maggette.

Elliot Williams will be playing for the Portland team.

Eric Boateng will be playing for the Knicks team.

None of these players have yet to play, and it looks like all of them will get some burn on Sunday!

Very cool. Thanks.

Elliot plays at 6pm Eastern, Jon and Shav at 10pm

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/gameline/20100710/

He got some real burn in Philly when he first joined the league (I'm from there). Played in 57 games as a rookie. Also, check out his NBA.com picture...

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shavlik_randolph/career_stats.html

MisterRoddy
07-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Jon Scheyer is playing for the Heat on NBA TV in the Summer League now. Tune in!

94duke
07-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Don't forget Shav!

MisterRoddy
07-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Don't forget Shav!

Yes, he's performing really well. I believe he has 4 points right now and has showed high IQ in the low post. Jon hasn't come into the game yet.

EDIT: Jon just checked into the game.

moonpie23
07-11-2010, 10:40 PM
jon had a good assist......shav is "the most experienced man on the court"

_TheFakeJWill_
07-11-2010, 10:50 PM
so cool to see Scheyer out there right now... is it me or does the heat not have a lot of guards?!

mgtr
07-11-2010, 10:53 PM
so cool to see Scheyer out there right now... is it me or does the heat not have a lot of guards?!

Well, they have James, Wade, and Chalmers plus a few of the guys in the summer league. Jon could get a spot if he shows good team and basketball smarts.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Well, they have James, Wade, and Chalmers plus a few of the guys in the summer league. Jon could get a spot if he shows good team and basketball smarts.
nice turn around for Shav... and i was thinking of a more 1 or 2 guard. I know James can play point but was talkin more Chalmers so everyone else could play their more comfortable positions i guess.

MisterRoddy
07-11-2010, 11:06 PM

I believe he has a very good shot. Also, the Heat are probably going to sign 1 or 2 more guards through FA (Fisher/Jason Williams & maybe Raja Bell).

Jon has led 2 very good fast breaks (stole the ball on one and took the ball in for a layup and three-point play, the other he (impressively) laid it off to Shav who missed the dunk. He also had another steal and has played some impressive D. As for minutes, he came in halfway through the first and hasn't come out since (halftime now). Overall, he's been impressive thus far,

_TheFakeJWill_
07-11-2010, 11:13 PM
I don't feed into Scheyer having a somewhat off shooting night. Id love, and think he need to prove his self on defense mostly and that he can hang with the quickness of other guards. So far i def love his play so far just hope he starts knockin down some 3's soon :D

On the other hand Shav looks fluid out there... would have been very sweet if he would have dunked that assist from Scheyer though :cool:

billyj
07-11-2010, 11:13 PM
http://www.nba.com/summerleague2010/players/shavlik_randolph/index.html

Saw Shav's profile picture on nba.com. Very nice, usually it's only player in their jersey or no picture at all.

jipops
07-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Scheyer with a huge 3 and free throws at the end. I don't see how he doesn't get a serious look from the Heat. I'm optimistic on him making the team given what he can provide as a combo guard / role player off the bench. Showing that he can make shots is huge. By now it has to be well known how he can take care of the ball and always be in position on defense.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Scheyer with a huge 3 and free throws at the end. I don't see how he doesn't get a serious look from the Heat. I'm optimistic on him making the team given what he can provide as a combo guard / role player off the bench. Showing that he can make shots is huge. By now it has to be well known how he can take care of the ball and always be in position on defense.

I couldnt have hoped for a better end to the game! Anyone know Scheyers stats???

MisterRoddy
07-12-2010, 12:09 AM

To add, Scheyer had 7 of the Heats last 9 points (11 pts, 5 rbs, 3 ast, 2 stls in 29 mins total) and was one of the primary options down the stretch in a close game.

theAlaskanBear
07-12-2010, 12:13 AM
I couldnt have hoped for a better end to the game! Anyone know Scheyers stats???

Scheyer had 11pts 5 rbs and 3ast. Not a great shooting night, but he hit the go-ahead three at end (before it was iced with FTs). Had 3 (4 but a missed dunk) really nice assists. A couple of steals. Just an overall solid game. Most of his outside shots are short...so that is something to work on.

Shav finished with 18 and 6, was the leading scorer. Showed some nice footwork and good moves....on occasion had trouble finishing but overall a very good touch and great mobility. Sucked at his FTs, but imma chalk it up nerves. This was the first Heat summer league game so a lot of rust and anxiety (a TON of team turnovers...20+ I think).

Boateng got some token minutes with NYC and ended with 2pts 1rb, Elliot Williams was a DNP for Portland.

MisterRoddy
07-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Also, Shav had 18 points and 6 boards in 30 minutes.

MisterRoddy
07-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Scheyer had 11pts 5 rbs and 3ast. Not a great shooting night, but he hit the go-ahead three at end (before it was iced with FTs). Had 3 (4 but a missed dunk) really nice assists. A couple of steals. Just an overall solid game. Most of his outside shots are short...so that is something to work on.

Shav finished with 18 and 6, was the leading scorer. Showed some nice footwork and good moves....on occasion had trouble finishing but overall a very good touch and great mobility. Sucked at his FTs, but imma chalk it up nerves. This was the first Heat summer league game so a lot of rust and anxiety (a TON of team turnovers...20+ I think).

Boateng got some token minutes with NYC and ended with 2pts 1rb, Elliot Williams was a DNP for Portland.

You beat me to the punch with Shavs stats but Kenny Hasbrouck was actually the leading scorer for Miami with 24 (10-15 fg), and yes, he is a shooting guard so he could possibly challenge Jon for a roster spot.

theAlaskanBear
07-12-2010, 12:32 AM
You beat me to the punch with Shavs stats but Kenny Hasbrouck was actually the leading scorer for Miami with 24 (10-15 fg), and yes, he is a shooting guard so he could possibly challenge Jon for a roster spot.

Ahh thats right, forgot about Hasbrouk. Was he the one with all the turnovers? But yes, he shot well.

MisterRoddy
07-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Ahh thats right, forgot about Hasbrouk. Was he the one with all the turnovers? But yes, he shot well.

No, that was Patrick Beverly, who had a fairly unimpressive day. As a Heat fan, I don't know why the Heat traded away the rights to Marcus Thornton for Beverly last year. Thornton had a very productive year in the NBA while Beverly played overseas and, from the looks of it, probably won't make the Heat team this year. smh

SilkyJ
07-12-2010, 01:57 AM
No, that was Patrick Beverly, who had a fairly unimpressive day. As a Heat fan, I don't know why the Heat traded away the rights to Marcus Thornton for Beverly last year. Thornton had a very productive year in the NBA while Beverly played overseas and, from the looks of it, probably won't make the Heat team this year. smh

Jon had 4 TOs as well, same as Beverly. Good to see that he got 29 minutes last night. Bodes well.

Elliot didn't play for some reason, and he was the Blazer's #1 overall IIRC. Maybe injured but it said DNP-CD

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/games/20100711/MIANOH/gameinfo.html

theAlaskanBear
07-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Jon had 4 TOs as well, same as Beverly. Good to see that he got 29 minutes last night. Bodes well.

Elliot didn't play for some reason, and he was the Blazer's #1 overall IIRC. Maybe injured but it said DNP-CD

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/games/20100711/MIANOH/gameinfo.html

A couple of those turnovers were not his fault. The most obvious one was by Pittman who refused to seal his man inside. McHale tore into Pittman.

CameronBornAndBred
07-12-2010, 10:38 AM
A couple of those turnovers were not his fault. The most obvious one was by Pittman who refused to seal his man inside. McHale tore into Pittman.
Both points are true. And that was one of the rare times McHale had anything to say about the game itself, the announcers were terrible. Scheyer went to line once all by himself, I'll never know if it was for a technical or something else because they were so busy talking about Phoenix and Turkoglu, they ignored the game in front of them for the rest of the half. They are obvious graduates of the Dickie V school of broadcasting, but at least Vitale usually waits until the game has a decent point spread before he ignores the action on the court. This game was always close and they barely paid attention to it.

CDu
07-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Both points are true. And that was one of the rare times McHale had anything to say about the game itself, the announcers were terrible. Scheyer went to line once all by himself, I'll never know if it was for a technical or something else because they were so busy talking about Phoenix and Turkoglu, they ignored the game in front of them for the rest of the half. They are obvious graduates of the Dickie V school of broadcasting, but at least Vitale usually waits until the game has a decent point spread before he ignores the action on the court. This game was always close and they barely paid attention to it.

Most likely it was a defensive 3-second violation. The NBA still has an adaptation of the illegal defense rule, and if you're penalized the other team gets one free throw and the ball back.

94duke
07-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Most likely it was a defensive 3-second violation. The NBA still has an adaptation of the illegal defense rule, and if you're penalized the other team gets one free throw and the ball back.

I believe you are correct. I saw the baseline ref motion 3 seconds with his hand. Then Jon shot the FT.

CameronBornAndBred
08-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Did anyone notice that DeMarcus Nelson had played for the Milwaukee Bucks this year? I didn't know they had signed him, but he did play and had some solid minutes. (Two games he led in that stat.)
It would be great to see him on an NBA court again.