PDA

View Full Version : K's influence on free agency

FanFair
07-03-2010, 12:13 PM
I just heard a story on Sportscenter that Wade, James and Bosh may join in Miami with a center (?), perhaps Boozer. When I heard that, I immediately wondered what and how K's influence on the pros, through the Olympic team, may have on this free agency process. Has the "team" concept that is so apparent in college ball finally filtered to the pro level? That would be wonderful for fans....especially me, who just has nothing from April through November, though team play wins NBA championships.

ChicagoCrazy84
07-03-2010, 03:01 PM
I just heard a story on Sportscenter that Wade, James and Bosh may join in Miami with a center (?), perhaps Boozer. When I heard that, I immediately wondered what and how K's influence on the pros, through the Olympic team, may have on this free agency process. Has the "team" concept that is so apparent in college ball finally filtered to the pro level? That would be wonderful for fans....especially me, who just has nothing from April through November, though team play wins NBA championships.

I think this thread should be closed now before it gets started, no offense to you or Coach K. I just dont think you can accurately get a parallel between Coach K and Free Agents. All these guys have their own entourage and honestly, it doesn't include Coach K.

Lastly, the Bosh, Wade, and James thing in Miami is 100% not happening. This speculative story broke a few days ago and Chris Bosh pretty much squashed it. It would not work whatsoever, both financially and emotionally with these guys and how you got Boozer in this, I have no idea. Whoever does not get Bosh will probably get Boozer as the consolation.

El_Diablo
07-03-2010, 04:03 PM
It would not work whatsoever, both financially and emotionally with these guys and how you got Boozer in this, I have no idea. Whoever does not get Bosh will probably get Boozer as the consolation.

These guys can't each settle for $5-10 million per year. They've got kids to feed.

moonpie23
07-03-2010, 10:54 PM
el diablo, if you're a unc fan, i just want to say, your avatar creeps me out..

and if you're a duke fan, let me just say, your avatar creeps me out....

WiJoe
07-03-2010, 10:57 PM
el diablo, if you're a unc fan, i just want to say, your avatar creeps me out..

and if you're a duke fan, let me just say, your avatar creeps me out....

Maybe he's a creep, period (just like the jerk in the avatar).

:cool:

El_Diablo
07-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Maybe he's a creep, period (just like the jerk in the avatar).

:cool:

Hey! I resemble that remark!

ThePublisher
07-05-2010, 09:25 PM
If Bosh, Wade, Boozer and James end up on the same team I will become a crapel hill fan. In other words, not ever in any way possibly going to happen unless its on a video game. No way. 2 of them yeah, but not 4.
Amare is a Nick now for the next 5 years and 100 million dollars. Wonder who will join him?

MisterRoddy
07-05-2010, 09:29 PM
If Bosh, Wade, Boozer and James end up on the same team I will become a crapel hill fan. In other words, not ever in any way possibly going to happen unless its on a video game. No way. 2 of them yeah, but not 4.
Amare is a Nick now for the next 5 years and 100 million dollars. Wonder who will join him?

Who ever brought up the thought that all 4 would team up? It was always the possibility of only the 3 of Wade/James/Bosh.

EDIT- The original poster of this thread was mistaken, no one ever brought up the possibility of that because there isn't a possibility of that happening.

johnb
07-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Everybody's getting a bit harsh with a guy with 3 posts.

The underlying issue is not unreasonable: it's not impossible for 2-3 great players to take a (small) salary cut in exchange for the chance to play on a GREAT team (and the opp'y for big-time endorsements).

MisterRoddy
07-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Everybody's getting a bit harsh with a guy with 3 posts.

The underlying issue is not unreasonable: it's not impossible for 2-3 great players to take a (small) salary cut in exchange for the chance to play on a GREAT team (and the opp'y for big-time endorsements).

Of course that isn't impossible. What is, is 4 of those free agents teaming up together, which is what the OP brought up. We weren't being harsh on him, just realistic.

CrazieDUMB
07-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Hold on a sec. It's not totally impossible for the heat to get all three between Wade/Bosh/James.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-freeagency-100629/how-much-salary-cap-space-team-nba-free-agency

Miami Heat
Maximum cap room: 1.67 MCs (with Wade re-signed); 2.64 MCs (if Wade leaves)

What can they do to get more? There's not much left to trim from their roster. To keep Wade and go after both James and Bosh, they'd need to convince at least one of the free agents to take less. Even moving Michael Beasley and Mario Chalmers for nothing wouldn't create enough cap room to sign all three star free agents at the full maximum.

"MC" is max contract. The heat have been absolutely unloading for a while now (I think they only have five players under contract for next season, or something to that extent). While it is unlikely, it's not too unreasonable to suggest that each of the three take a 12% pay cut (2.64/3) in order to play together on a superteam. Especially since beasley is a potential bargaining chip in a bosh sign-and-trade.

I didn't hear that Bosh had denied this possibility; it was my impression that there was a "free agent summit" between the three where this scenario was discussed, maybe at their Stonecutters meeting. I love NBA rumors.

CDu
07-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Hold on a sec. It's not totally impossible for the heat to get all three between Wade/Bosh/James.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-freeagency-100629/how-much-salary-cap-space-team-nba-free-agency

"MC" is max contract. The heat have been absolutely unloading for a while now (I think they only have five players under contract for next season, or something to that extent). While it is unlikely, it's not too unreasonable to suggest that each of the three take a 12% pay cut (2.64/3) in order to play together on a superteam. Especially since beasley is a potential bargaining chip in a bosh sign-and-trade.

I didn't hear that Bosh had denied this possibility; it was my impression that there was a "free agent summit" between the three where this scenario was discussed, maybe at their Stonecutters meeting. I love NBA rumors.

Nobody is saying it's impossible that the Heat could get all three. What IS impossible is the idea that the Heat could get all three AND Carlos Boozer, which was what was intimated in the opening post.

I'd say it's highly unlikely (but slightly possible) that they could get the big three. But they will not be getting the big three plus Boozer (or any other relatively expensive big man).

-jk
07-06-2010, 12:25 PM
This one's turned into another Free Agency (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21441) discussion. Let's keep them together.

-jk