PDA

View Full Version : Jon Scheyer signs with Heat (NBA summer league)

DevilHorns
07-02-2010, 12:59 AM
http://www.pioneerlocal.com/northbrook/sports/highschools/2446660,northbrook-scheyer-070110-s1.article

"I'm really excited about the opportunity," said the 22-year-old Scheyer. "Obviously, I hope this will help get me invited to a training camp, and will eventually get me a contract.

"I looked at several teams (for the summer league), but the Heat is the team I'm really interested in right now. They have a lot of roster spots open because they're completely rebuilding their team to be a championship-type team in a year. I think it's a great situation, a great fit for me."

MisterRoddy
07-02-2010, 01:04 AM
http://www.pioneerlocal.com/northbrook/sports/highschools/2446660,northbrook-scheyer-070110-s1.article

"I'm really excited about the opportunity," said the 22-year-old Scheyer. "Obviously, I hope this will help get me invited to a training camp, and will eventually get me a contract.

"I looked at several teams (for the summer league), but the Heat is the team I'm really interested in right now. They have a lot of roster spots open because they're completely rebuilding their team to be a championship-type team in a year. I think it's a great situation, a great fit for me."

Thanks for posting. I really hope Jon, Mikhail Torrence, and Da'Sean Butler make the Heat team. I think Jon could really flourish playing next to Dwyane. A combo who can run a team and spot up with a deadly J when D-Wade takes over the point in important spots. It's a perfect fit on offense, imo. I hope he finds his niche on the defensive side of the ball.

ThePublisher
07-02-2010, 03:06 AM
Schyer wont see any PT anytime soon. Like, Reddick he wont be able to guard NBA players immediatly. It's going to take some work, but I believe he will eventually be solid. His versatility of being able to be a 1 or 2 can work very well with a complimentary player who can also be a 1 or 2.

flyingdutchdevil
07-02-2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks for posting. I really hope Jon, Mikhail Torrence, and Da'Sean Butler make the Heat team. I think Jon could really flourish playing next to Dwyane. A combo who can run a team and spot up with a deadly J when D-Wade takes over the point in important spots. It's a perfect fit on offense, imo. I hope he finds his niche on the defensive side of the ball.

Considering the Heat's game plan of having 3 super all-stars next year eating up all the salary cap, they're going to need players like Scheyer, Torrence, and Butler just to have enough players to fill up a roster. Having Scheyer on the Heat, IMO, is a great opportunity. Riley loves smart players, and Scheyer is one of the brightest in the game.

hq2
07-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Now that the Heat have Lebron, this definitely opens up a chance for Scheyer. With two great drivers, Scheyer could have lots of easy looks. He's got to be able to play D and knock down the open jumper, and he can play. He should watch tapes of Steve Kerr with the Bulls to see how he could fit in with superstars.

CDu
07-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Now that the Heat have Lebron, this definitely opens up a chance for Scheyer. With two great drivers, Scheyer could have lots of easy looks. He's got to be able to play D and knock down the open jumper, and he can play. He should watch tapes of Steve Kerr with the Bulls to see how he could fit in with superstars.

Perhaps, although if the Heat sign Mike Miller, there won't be a lot of minutes for Scheyer in Miami. With James at the 1, Wade at the 2, Miller at the 3, and Chalmers as the primary backup, that doesn't leave much floor time.

flyingdutchdevil
07-09-2010, 10:17 AM
I actually Redick as the perfect compliment to the Heat's superstars / egos: he can play D, works hard, loves to play team bbal, doesn't mind if others get the glory, and, most importantly, can shoot the three. Basically, you wouldn't be able to double team Wade or LBJ with Redick on the floor.

That said, I think Redick is really happy with his role in Orlando and his fans would hate him if he went to the rival Heat

RoyalBlue08
07-09-2010, 10:19 AM
I actually Redick as the perfect compliment to the Heat's superstars / egos: he can play D, works hard, loves to play team bbal, doesn't mind if others get the glory, and, most importantly, can shoot the three. Basically, you wouldn't be able to double team Wade or LBJ with Redick on the floor.

That said, I think Redick is really happy with his role in Orlando and his fans would hate him if he went to the rival Heat

Miami doesn't have the money to get him away from Orlando. I believe he is a restricted FA so Orlando can match...and it appear Miami is going to be offering people minimum contracts as they have no more room under the salary cap.

CDu
07-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Miami doesn't have the money to get him away from Orlando. I believe he is a restricted FA so Orlando can match...and it appear Miami is going to be offering people minimum contracts as they have no more room under the salary cap.

You are correct. Orlando will have the opportunity to match any offer made to Redick. There may be teams that go over what Orlando is willing to spend (the Bulls are a possibility, for example), but the Heat are not going to be one of those teams. They don't have the cap space to make a substantial offer, and Orlando would certainly match a lower-level offer (if Redick was even willing to sign a lower-level offer in the first place).

dukelifer
07-09-2010, 10:56 AM
You are correct. Orlando will have the opportunity to match any offer made to Redick. There may be teams that go over what Orlando is willing to spend (the Bulls are a possibility, for example), but the Heat are not going to be one of those teams. They don't have the cap space to make a substantial offer, and Orlando would certainly match a lower-level offer (if Redick was even willing to sign a lower-level offer in the first place).

Not only that - Stan really wants JJ to stay. He wants Orlando to match any offer unless by some remote chance JJ gets the max. Still JJ looks to get a very nice wedding present from some team.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2010/07/van-gundy-our-intention-is-to-match-an-offer-sheet-to-j-j-redick.html

Billy Dat
07-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Let's not get carried away with Jon's potential minutes. If he makes the team and gets a contract, it's a huge accomplishment. Even if he gets sent to the D-League but has a guaranteed NBA contract, it would be huge. Let's remember Demarcus who STARTED opening night 2008, was in the D-League within 2 weeks and then was waived by January. It is SO hard to make an NBA team, let's not set the bar too high.

RoyalBlue08
07-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm not setting any bars for Jon, and I agree that making the roster of the an NBA team as an undrafted player would be an accomplishment. I do think however that given the Heat's need for bodies, he has a pretty good shot at making the roster. And once he gets there, I think his basketball IQ and ability to hit open shots gives a decent shot at some minutes as the 8-9th guy. I admit I am insanely biased though.

BlueDevilBaby
07-09-2010, 12:19 PM
And now he gets to plan with the big trio for at least the summer. Not bad!

Edouble
07-09-2010, 12:32 PM
From the "Big 3" to the "Gianormous 3"? :p

CDu
07-09-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm not setting any bars for Jon, and I agree that making the roster of the an NBA team as an undrafted player would be an accomplishment. I do think however that given the Heat's need for bodies, he has a pretty good shot at making the roster. And once he gets there, I think his basketball IQ and ability to hit open shots gives a decent shot at some minutes as the 8-9th guy. I admit I am insanely biased though.

I think he has a reasonably good chance to make the roster. However, I think it will be hard for him to make the rotation. The 8th/9th guy would be the 4th guard. If Miami signs Mike Miller, then Scheyer becomes the fifth guard. That immediately pushes him to the extreme end of the rotation. That's not an attack on his basketball savvy/ability. That's just a reality of where the Heat are with players. He wouldn't bump Miller as a shooter, and he wouldn't bump Chalmers as a defender off the bench.

Now, if Miami does not acquire Miller (or another veteran sharpshooter), then Scheyer's chances of regular playing time would go up a good bit. But I don't see a scenario where they don't add another veteran shooter.

MChambers
07-09-2010, 04:26 PM
I think he has a reasonably good chance to make the roster. However, I think it will be hard for him to make the rotation. The 8th/9th guy would be the 4th guard. If Miami signs Mike Miller, then Scheyer becomes the fifth guard. That immediately pushes him to the extreme end of the rotation. That's not an attack on his basketball savvy/ability. That's just a reality of where the Heat are with players. He wouldn't bump Miller as a shooter, and he wouldn't bump Chalmers as a defender off the bench.

Now, if Miami does not acquire Miller (or another veteran sharpshooter), then Scheyer's chances of regular playing time would go up a good bit. But I don't see a scenario where they don't add another veteran shooter.
Miller isn't young, and had quite a few injuries last year. It wouldn't be bad to be the fifth guard on that roster.

CDu
07-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Miller isn't young, and had quite a few injuries last year. It wouldn't be bad to be the fifth guard on that roster.

Maybe, maybe not. It's not like Miller is THAT old. He's only 30. For a fourth option, that's not that old. I'm just saying I don't see Scheyer being the 8th/9th man in the Heat rotation, given the current roster and assuming the team actually signs some post players. An injury might change that, and it might not. If Miller does sustain serious injury, then playing time would open up for a sharpshooter. Of course, Scheyer would have to improve his shot quite a bit to become an NBA sharpshooter.

I'm sure it'd be a lot of fun for Scheyer to be on the Heat roster. I'm just not sure it's the best fit for him as a player - especially if the Heat are committed to the idea of James at PG.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-09-2010, 05:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5367416 good article on Scheyer from ESPN.com

nocilla
07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
I don't think the Heat can afford Mike Miller...

MisterRoddy
07-09-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't think the Heat can afford Mike Miller...

To afford Miller, the Big 3 would have had to take approximately 1.5 million dollar pay cuts, I believe (or something around that figure).
I also doubt that the Heat would've offered him, Miller consider them (and lean towards them), and the two sides engage in serious negotiations if the Heat couldn't afford him.

RoyalBlue08
07-09-2010, 09:30 PM

I agree with the others that say Miller to Miami is a long shot. He is going to be able to get more money elsewhere. With the lockout coming, I don't see these people taking pay cuts to play for Miami. I could be wrong. And when you say Miller could be a potential "4th guard", who are the other 3. Are we counting Lebron as a guard?

dukelifer
07-09-2010, 09:48 PM
I agree with the others that say Miller to Miami is a long shot. He is going to be able to get more money elsewhere. With the lockout coming, I don't see these people taking pay cuts to play for Miami. I could be wrong. And when you say Miller could be a potential "4th guard", who are the other 3. Are we counting Lebron as a guard?

Looks like they made it happen. They are slowly running out of cash unless the big three start taking less on the front end.

MisterRoddy
07-09-2010, 09:48 PM

I'm telling you, Mike Miller to Miami is, in all likelihood, going to happen.

DevilHorns
07-10-2010, 12:53 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5367416

espn article from today

CDu
07-10-2010, 09:18 AM

It appears that Miller will in fact sign with the Heat. And the plan is to play James at the point, like Magic. That puts Miller as the SF and shooter, and Chalmers as the backup guard for defense and more shooting. That leaves no minutes for Scheyer.

CameronBornAndBred
07-10-2010, 10:07 AM
That leaves no minutes for Scheyer.
No matter what team Jon might land on, you can't honestly expect him to get a lot of minutes anyway. Look at these guys who were drafted, and see what kind of minutes they got their rookie years.

JJ Redick---squat
Shelden Williams--squat
Josh McRoberts--squat
Gerald Henderson--squat
Now Williams is still pretty much getting squat, but you can't say the same about Redick and McRoberts. I'm sure it was frustrating for them, but they've both developed into respectable NBA players. Time will only tell for G, but he was pretty impressive in his Summer League games. I can easily imagine the same future for Scheyer, a guy who we won't see much of next year but that has the chance to make the most out of a great opportunity. McBobs was even sent to the D-League...twice! I think that would be a good chance for Scheyer as well. The D-League is a great place for a bench warmer to actually play a lot of minutes, and get valuable experience.
Of course, Jon has to make the roster first, but I think given the Heat's money sitution it bodes well in his favor.

NSDukeFan
07-10-2010, 10:52 AM
No matter what team Jon might land on, you can't honestly expect him to get a lot of minutes anyway. Look at these guys who were drafted, and see what kind of minutes they got their rookie years.

JJ Redick---squat
Shelden Williams--squat
Josh McRoberts--squat
Gerald Henderson--squat
Now Williams is still pretty much getting squat, but you can't say the same about Redick and McRoberts. I'm sure it was frustrating for them, but they've both developed into respectable NBA players. Time will only tell for G, but he was pretty impressive in his Summer League games. I can easily imagine the same future for Scheyer, a guy who we won't see much of next year but that has the chance to make the most out of a great opportunity. McBobs was even sent to the D-League...twice! I think that would be a good chance for Scheyer as well. The D-League is a great place for a bench warmer to actually play a lot of minutes, and get valuable experience.
Of course, Jon has to make the roster first, but I think given the Heat's money sitution it bodes well in his favor.

I think you make a very good point. I wouldn't expect Jon to play much anywhere in the NBA next year. I think it would have to be considered a success if he were to sign a contract and make a roster. I think Miami presents a great opportunity for him, not for playing time, but just to make a roster. Mind you, there are tons of college stars out there looking to make a roster as well, so there is no guarantee that he does. I hope and expect he will, but I have little to no expectation that he will be much of a contributor in his first year. I certainly hope he can be a contributor this year; I just think it is unlikely.

RoyalBlue08
07-10-2010, 10:53 AM
It appears that Miller will in fact sign with the Heat. And the plan is to play James at the point, like Magic. That puts Miller as the SF and shooter, and Chalmers as the backup guard for defense and more shooting. That leaves no minutes for Scheyer.

So who is the other big man besides Bosh? Miller, James, Wade, Bosh...I was sort of assuming the would go small and start Chalmers at "point", but just have Wade and James bring the ball up and do the ball handling. I guess I figured they were modeling this after the Olympic team, in which James was playing the 4 alot.

theAlaskanBear
07-10-2010, 10:57 AM
So who is the other big man besides Bosh? Miller, James, Wade, Bosh...I was sort of assuming the would go small and start Chalmers at "point", but just have Wade and James bring the ball up and do the ball handling. I guess I figured they were modeling this after the Olympic team, in which James was playing the 4 alot.

While he wont start, Shav Randolph could secure a big man backup spot with the Heat if he plays well in the summer league for them!

Also pretty funny: NBA.com has summer league rosters and where the player is from (usually indicating college team) and next to Scheyer it says "unknown'! Lol, starting PG for the National Championship team...

Richard Berg
07-10-2010, 11:26 AM
As long as we're dreaming up silly Duke-of-the-South scenarios: Shelden is a free agent too. He's not an NBA center, but I don't think Shav is either.

Lauderdevil
07-10-2010, 12:14 PM
No matter what team Jon might land on, you can't honestly expect him to get a lot of minutes anyway.

Normally true, but if he should latch onto Miami, remember that they may have a lot of 30-point blowouts next season. They'll want to rest the Big Three for an expected long playoff run, so the bottom of the bench could get more playing time than on most teams.

COYS
07-10-2010, 12:49 PM

JJ Redick---squat
Shelden Williams--squat
Josh McRoberts--squat
Gerald Henderson--squat

This is definitely true and important to remember. That being said, none of those players mentioned above could manage an offense when they got to the pros. Jon can. Jon was also a more efficient offensive player in college than any of those guys. I think it is a longshot, but Jon definitely has the potential to net some minutes off the bench to provide smart play, good shooting, and efficient management of the second string offense. He also can help spread the floor when the big three are on the court together. If Jon is given a chance, I think he could thrive as a role player on the Heat.

Richard Berg
07-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is hyping Jon's shooting so much. He was a very good (not great) shooter in college, and the NBA line is much more difficult.

Bob Green
07-10-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is hyping Jon's shooting so much. He was a very good (not great) shooter in college, and the NBA line is much more difficult.

Exactly. His side spin jumper is his weak spot. Scheyer's strength is his defense. He has a tremendous ability to deny his man the ball.

CDu
07-10-2010, 03:08 PM

The other big man doesn't exist yet. But they've already said they plan to play James as the PG. They'll get some able-bodied big (maybe a re-sign of Haslem) to go with Bosh. I'll be very surprised if they play James at the 4. Bosh doesn't want to do all the heavy lifting in the post, and playing James at the 4 would require that.

RoyalBlue08
07-10-2010, 06:37 PM
The other big man doesn't exist yet. But they've already said they plan to play James as the PG. They'll get some able-bodied big (maybe a re-sign of Haslem) to go with Bosh. I'll be very surprised if they play James at the 4. Bosh doesn't want to do all the heavy lifting in the post, and playing James at the 4 would require that.

Fair enough, but if that is the way the Heat go, I think it is a mistake. If you got two playmakers like James and Wade on the floor, I want to keep the floor spread with shooters. If they do add a big to start, I would think they would want one that maybe can defend the post but still shoot jump shots (not sure if there is someone like that available in FA). If I were the coach, we would have as many shooters and we could get our hands on, and Bosh would have to suck it up and guard the post, with Lebron guarding the big who was the lesser offensive threat so he could be a help side defender at the rim.

DevilHorns
07-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Where did you hear about the strategy the Heat will go with... any links? Can't seem to find any...was it just on tv?

airowe
07-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Spoelstra impressed by Scheyer:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/heat/jon-scheyer-earns-praise-from-heats-erik-spoelstra-797458.html

SMO
07-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Spoelstra also went out of his way to praise undrafted Duke guard Jon Scheyer.

"We wanted him because we thought he'd be a guy that would stretch the floor," Spoelstra said. "A lot of what we do offensively is predicated on spacing and 3-point shooting really helps. He's been a pleasant surprise with other aspects of his game. He has an extremely high basketball IQ. He does a better job of putting the ball on the floor, making plays, than I anticipated."

When are people going to stop being surprised by Scheyer's "other aspects"? Those "other aspects" are what define him, not his shooting!

CDu
07-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Where did you hear about the strategy the Heat will go with... any links? Can't seem to find any...was it just on tv?

I had read it somewhere in the day or so following the announcement. But now I can't find it. I will take a look for it at some point, but feel free to disregard if I can't find it quickly. Bad form of me to reference something without the link handy, and I apologize for that.

CDu
07-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Spoelstra also went out of his way to praise undrafted Duke guard Jon Scheyer.

"We wanted him because we thought he'd be a guy that would stretch the floor," Spoelstra said. "A lot of what we do offensively is predicated on spacing and 3-point shooting really helps. He's been a pleasant surprise with other aspects of his game. He has an extremely high basketball IQ. He does a better job of putting the ball on the floor, making plays, than I anticipated."

When are people going to stop being surprised by Scheyer's "other aspects"? Those "other aspects" are what define him, not his shooting!

Agreed. If anything, he's NOT a floor spreading shooting specialist. He's a fantastic free throw shooter, but he was never terribly consistent from 3pt range as a collegiate, and the NBA line is substantially further out than that.

rotogod00
07-12-2010, 09:34 AM
via ESPN's David Thorpe: "There is no doubt that Scheyer has the game that fits what the HEAT need. There is doubt that he'll get a chance, as there are many others."

RoyalBlue08
07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Agreed. If anything, he's NOT a floor spreading shooting specialist. He's a fantastic free throw shooter, but he was never terribly consistent from 3pt range as a collegiate, and the NBA line is substantially further out than that.

I agree with this, that Jon has been stereotyped into a 3 point shooter, when that has never really been what he was. On the flip side, 3 point shooting is something that one can improve with work, and if Jon wants to get regular minutes in the NBA, he is going to have to add a consistent, NBA range 3 to the things he already brings to the table IMO.

hq2
07-12-2010, 09:53 AM
I'd be very surprised if he made the Heat this year. Agreeing with previvous post, I don't think he has an NBA 3 point shot yet, and that's what they need. I'd say, if he shows some promise, that the Heat might send him over to the NBDL for a year or two to work on his shooting. Then, if they need help, they'd bring him back then. Remember, Wade and Lebron will be there together for several years, so there's no hurry for him to make the team now. Let's give him some time to develop his shot, then we'll see what happens.

gwlaw99
07-12-2010, 10:16 AM
I'd be very surprised if he made the Heat this year. Agreeing with previvous post, I don't think he has an NBA 3 point shot yet, and that's what they need. I'd say, if he shows some promise, that the Heat might send him over to the NBDL for a year or two to work on his shooting. Then, if they need help, they'd bring him back then. Remember, Wade and Lebron will be there together for several years, so there's no hurry for him to make the team now. Let's give him some time to develop his shot, then we'll see what happens.

Do you think he would do better going to the D league or Europe/Israel to develop his game?

DevilHorns
07-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Anybody have an update on how Jon has played in summer games so far? I haven't had the chance to watch any yet.

sagegrouse
07-12-2010, 10:22 AM

I agree and disagree with 'hq2.' Jon Scheyer does not yet have an NBA 3-pt. shot, although he may get a really close look by more than one team because of the demand and shortage of long-range shooters.

But I think his future in the NBA is in passing and play-making. Scheyer sees the court and distributes the ball as well as anyone who played college last year. I think he will find a spot in the NBA and have a nice career. Gee, maybe Jumbo was right. :eek:

Also, don't think he was to get a lot of minutes his first year. There are 15 players on the NBA rosters; he just needs one of those spots.

Think Matt Maloney, the undrafted Ivy Leaguer (Class of 1995) who played six years (316 games, 2,389 points, 852 assists) in the NBA despite only average athleticism. The can't-miss prospect from Penn that year was Jerome Allen, a guard who is currently the head coach at UPenn, who only played 117 games in three years. Yet Maloney is the guy that got the nice run because he could distribute the ball. IMHO (during breeding season for the Sage Grouse, the 'H' is silent) Scheyer is better than Maloney by any measure.

sagegrouse
'Disclosure: my daughter was a classmate of the two and a UPenn cheerleader, so I saw Allen and Maloney a lot.'

CameronBornAndBred
07-12-2010, 10:25 AM
He does a better job of putting the ball on the floor, making plays, than I anticipated."

You would never expect that from a guy who played point guard for a national championship team.

hq2
07-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Yes, Jon is clearly a better playmaker than they expected. The problem with him is that he's sort of in-between; he's a good playmaker, but not as good (or as quick) as some of the others, and he's a good shooter, but doesn't quite have NBA range. Neither of his skills are quite NBA level, but maybe in a year one or both will be. I think that's what the Heat are hoping for.

greybeard
07-12-2010, 11:04 AM
You gotta say that the kid will have a natural fan base. However, they will have to start the games at 6:00, right after the early bird special hour that starts at what, 4:30, for "the base," who skew kind of old, to get to watch their little bubeleh (affectionate term for young man) and be in bed by 8:30. ;)

DevilHorns
07-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Yes, Jon is clearly a better playmaker than they expected. The problem with him is that he's sort of in-between; he's a good playmaker, but not as good (or as quick) as some of the others, and he's a good shooter, but doesn't quite have NBA range. Neither of his skills are quite NBA level, but maybe in a year one or both will be. I think that's what the Heat are hoping for.

To be honest, I'm not convinced that there is strong in-game evidence the Jon doesn't have appreciable NBA 3-point range.

Unlike Duhon and JJ, Scheyer rarely (I think honestly, never) took 3s from the K symbol. I think the jury is still out regarding his range right now. Granted, I haven't watched any of the summer league games to see if he has tried his luck from 3 range, so I cant say if his shot mechanics don't look fluid from that far out.

Regardless, he can develop his range, and I'm confident he will.

94duke
07-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Jon hit a 3 last night to give Miami the lead.
Then he sank 4 FT's to seal it.

greybeard
07-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Jon, should he hit it off with LeBron, can help LeBron appreciate an aspect of the game that I do not think that he gets, and that I think he got a taste of through his exposure to K and only thinks, but is wrong, he found by playing with Wade and Bosh on the Redeem team. It has something to do with giving it (the it has many names) up to allow a teammate, a lesser talent, to lead.

The danger with this Thing of Theirs in Miami, is that the Kings will think that it is giving it over to eachother is what is of value, that will set the example for others. It won't be. It is giving it over to everyone, which makes the team game a team game. LeBron's achielles heal in my view is that he has lacked the mentor, the Phil Jackson, the Larry Brown, the Pop, the Doc, who can help him appreciate that it is not sacrificing part of your game that makes a team better, it is giving up a part of you in which you become more complete.

Jon's experience over four years at Duke speaks to that.

For what it is worth, I do not think that Riley gets that, nor do I think that he can teach it. I think that he gets a military like allegience to all out effort, and when he has a leader like Magic who embodies the concept perhaps better than any player who ever lived except for the REAL NUMBER 6, and that would be MR. RUSSELL, can get it done. In a funny way, having played for Phil, and being who he is, Shaq I think had some of that himself.

Sadly, LeBron couldn't hear him, couldn't see him. I think LeBron thought that Shaq's generosity of spirit on the court was just a function of age, rather than wisdom. Like I said, a real BLIND spot.

COYS
07-12-2010, 11:55 AM
To be honest, I'm not convinced that there is strong in-game evidence the Jon doesn't have appreciable NBA 3-point range.

Unlike Duhon and JJ, Scheyer rarely (I think honestly, never) took 3s from the K symbol. I think the jury is still out regarding his range right now. Granted, I haven't watched any of the summer league games to see if he has tried his luck from 3 range, so I cant say if his shot mechanics don't look fluid from that far out.

Regardless, he can develop his range, and I'm confident he will.

Also, one of the best indicators of the ability to develop NBA three point range is good foul shooting. Jon has that in spades. People may be right to say that Jon will never be a deadeye shooter in the league, but I am confident that he will be able to hit enough threes to be successful given his other talents. I also see his shooting improving as he improves as a player.

theAlaskanBear
07-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Also, one of the best indicators of the ability to develop NBA three point range is good foul shooting. Jon has that in spades. People may be right to say that Jon will never be a deadeye shooter in the league, but I am confident that he will be able to hit enough threes to be successful given his other talents. I also see his shooting improving as he improves as a player.

I refuse to draw conclusions about Jon's shots just from the first summer league game...a lot of nerves, rust, adjusting to new teammates, etc. My observations from the game however -- Jon was consistently short, he was on target but hit front rim 3 times (from my memory). HOWEVER, he sank the big one when he needed to.

We should have a much clearer picture of Jons range after the league finishes up. So much of shooting is comfort and rhythm.

hq2
07-12-2010, 04:35 PM
The danger with this Thing of Theirs in Miami, is that the Kings will think that it is giving it over to eachother is what is of value, that will set the example for others. It won't be. It is giving it over to everyone, which makes the team game a team game. LeBron's achielles heal in my view is that he has lacked the mentor, the Phil Jackson, the Larry Brown, the Pop, the Doc, who can help him appreciate that it is not sacrificing part of your game that makes a team better, it is giving up a part of you in which you become more complete.

Yes, there's no doubt of this. Reminds me of things in Chicago before Phil Jackson came on the scene. They didn't win championships until Jordan and Pippen figured out how to give it up to good shooters like B.J. Armstrong and Steve Kerr. So, I think that in a year or two, they may be interested in doing that more in Miami. Hopefully, Jon will be ready with his three point shot (and good passing to the Miami big three) when they do.

mkirsh
07-12-2010, 04:49 PM
I refuse to draw conclusions about Jon's shots just from the first summer league game...a lot of nerves, rust, adjusting to new teammates, etc. My observations from the game however -- Jon was consistently short, he was on target but hit front rim 3 times (from my memory). HOWEVER, he sank the big one when he needed to.

We should have a much clearer picture of Jons range after the league finishes up. So much of shooting is comfort and rhythm.

The 3 he did hit did looked good - admittedly he was wide open and got to step into it, but form was great and shot looked effortless, so I don't think the extra 2+ feet will bother him too much, but time will tell.

From what I saw it seemed the Heat were using him as a 2 instead of the 1, where he was coming up off baseline screens and catching on the wing, he never really had the ball up top or in his hands too much. Will be interesting to watch over their next few games how Jon fits in.

What I noticed most from last night (aside from how impressive Shav looked, could have used that in 2004) was that Jon basically won that game for the Heat. In the closing minutes with his team down, he hit the huge three, played great d (his man repeatedly tried to post him up but never scored, only had 1 assist when help came too soon that wasn't needed), battled for loose balls, and got open and hit his free throws. I know no one generally cares about summer league w-l record, but this is the defining characteristic of Jon, namely that he wins games. If the Heat are looking for his 3pt %, or A/TO ratio, or any other "stat", I worry that they will miss his true value. I hope they are smarter than that, but not optimistic.

Greg_Newton
07-12-2010, 05:08 PM
What I noticed most from last night (aside from how impressive Shav looked, could have used that in 2004) was that Jon basically won that game for the Heat. In the closing minutes with his team down, he hit the huge three, played great d (his man repeatedly tried to post him up but never scored, only had 1 assist when help came too soon that wasn't needed), battled for loose balls, and got open and hit his free throws. I know no one generally cares about summer league w-l record, but this is the defining characteristic of Jon, namely that he wins games. If the Heat are looking for his 3pt %, or A/TO ratio, or any other "stat", I worry that they will miss his true value. I hope they are smarter than that, but not optimistic.

Agreed. I do feel good about Jon's long-term chances at the NBA, regardless of what happpens this year - it seems counterintuitive, but he strikes me as someone with good upside who may just need to solidify certain aspects of his game.

If he gets a little stronger, gets his shot to the point where he's automatic on open 3's and gets comfortable with the pace of the NBA, he just seems like a role player who's only going to make his team better. The JJ Redick/Steve Kerr/Derek Fisher type guy on winning teams, who facilitates good things and flat-out makes plays when you need them.

The rest of his game might not quite be ready yet - we'll see - but Jon's a special player who should get his chance at some point.

RoyalBlue08
07-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Agreed. I do feel good about Jon's long-term chances at the NBA, regardless of what happpens this year - it seems counterintuitive, but he strikes me as someone with good upside who may just need to solidify certain aspects of his game.

If he gets a little stronger, gets his shot to the point where he's automatic on open 3's and gets comfortable with the pace of the NBA, he just seems like a role player who's only going to make his team better. The JJ Redick/Steve Kerr/Derek Fisher type guy on winning teams, who facilitates good things and flat-out makes plays when you need them.

The rest of his game might not quite be ready yet - we'll see - but Jon's a special player who should get his chance at some point.

I thought about writing a post like this a few days ago and didn't....maybe because it sounds crazy. But I think Jon is a player with a lot of upside. I know that the talking heads on TV generally use that term to refer to a great athlete whom isn't a great basketball player (yet), but in this case Jon has such a great feel for the game and instincts and he is a winner. These are also things you can't necessarily teach. I think if given the chance to get stronger (which should come with age and training) and more range and consistency on his shot, he will have a long and productive career.

Newton_14
07-12-2010, 10:58 PM

I will be shocked if Jon does NOT make the Heat this season. The guy can play and when it comes down to it, that is all that matters. He is an excellent wing defender, especially in ball denial, a good ball handler and playmaker who values possession and protect;s the ball.

He is not a bad shooter. It is an area that can be improved and I think he will make that improvement as well.

I say he makes it, this year, with the Heat. Playing time is " a whole nutha matter" as we say round these parts, but I do feel he makes the 12 man roster.

Mcluhan
07-13-2010, 01:06 AM
I will be shocked if Jon does NOT make the Heat this season. The guy can play and when it comes down to it, that is all that matters. He is an excellent wing defender, especially in ball denial, a good ball handler and playmaker who values possession and protect;s the ball.

He is not a bad shooter. It is an area that can be improved and I think he will make that improvement as well.

I say he makes it, this year, with the Heat. Playing time is " a whole nutha matter" as we say round these parts, but I do feel he makes the 12 man roster.

By NBA standards Jon is not an excellent wing defender. I'm trying to think of NBA 2 guards that get decent PT that he can capably defend. Can at any point the coach risk putting him in against Ginobili, Ben Gordon, or Andre Iguodola? I have a hard time seeing it. My hunch is that Raja Bell would eat him for lunch. He's also a substandard shooter. A good bit of his height is in his neck, which is not particularly helpful height.

I dearly hope I'm wrong, but Scheyer does not strike me as an NBA caliber player. He's close, though. He could have a 4+ year career overseas.

AZLA
07-13-2010, 01:17 AM

Speaking of which -- Derek is sticking with the Lakers. Good luck to Jon!

ricks68
07-13-2010, 03:06 AM
You gotta say that the kid will have a natural fan base. However, they will have to start the games at 6:00, right after the early bird special hour that starts at what, 4:30, for "the base," who skew kind of old, to get to watch their little bubeleh (affectionate term for young man) and be in bed by 8:30. ;)

Maybe they could put TV's up in the local cafeterias, too:D

ricks

jipops
07-13-2010, 01:00 PM
By NBA standards Jon is not an excellent wing defender. I'm trying to think of NBA 2 guards that get decent PT that he can capably defend. Can at any point the coach risk putting him in against Ginobili, Ben Gordon, or Andre Iguodola? I have a hard time seeing it. My hunch is that Raja Bell would eat him for lunch. He's also a substandard shooter. A good bit of his height is in his neck, which is not particularly helpful height.

I dearly hope I'm wrong, but Scheyer does not strike me as an NBA caliber player. He's close, though. He could have a 4+ year career overseas.

I disagree to an extent here. There are plenty of NBA guards out there today that Jon is capable of defending. There are also many that he would probably struggle to defend. Not much different than any other role player guard out there.

The guys you have pointed out - Ginobili, Gordon, Iguodola - are not typically the guys Jon would spend much of his time defending if he were to make the roster. Jon would be more likely defending guys like Dequan Cook, Charlie Bell, or Goran Dragic - other talented guys who also get spot duty off the bench. And Jon is an excellent defender in my opinion by the way.

Jon definitely strikes me as an NBA caliber player. Doesn't mean he'll make it, but he's got the skills. Just look at a guy like Derek Fisher who has had an extremely successful and lengthy career as a role player guard. It is very realistic for Jon to kind of fit that type of mold.

CEF1959
07-13-2010, 07:10 PM
I will be shocked if Jon does NOT make the Heat this season. The guy can play and when it comes down to it, that is all that matters.

I have to disagree with this and similar comments in this thread. The question isn't so much whether Jon Scheyer has NBA skills; the question is whether he has better skills (including smarts and character) than the other 1000 guys hoping for the last 60 roster spots in the league.

Like when you're hiking and being chased by a bear. You don't have to outrun the bear; but you do have to outrun at least one of your hiking partners.

I think he's got a tough row to hoe, but he knows that. He'll work his ash off and either get a contract or go to Europe.

CameronBornAndBred
07-13-2010, 08:28 PM
I have to disagree with this and similar comments in this thread. The question isn't so much whether Jon Scheyer has NBA skills; the question is whether he has better skills (including smarts and character) than the other 1000 guys hoping for the last 60 roster spots in the league.

Like when you're hiking and being chased by a bear. You don't have to outrun the bear; but you do have to outrun at least one of your hiking partners.

I think he's got a tough row to hoe, but he knows that. He'll work his ash off and either get a contract or go to Europe.
Is Irael in Europe?(No.) He has more money waiting there.

JaMarcus Russell
07-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Is Irael in Europe?(No.) He has more money waiting there.

They compete in European competitions in every sport though, basically for political reasons.

Newton_14
07-13-2010, 09:20 PM

I admit to not knowing much about bears but thats a story for another day. People said JJ would not make it either. Jon has a lot of positives in his game and being forced to play PG the last 1.5 years was a blessing in disguise and helped better prepare him for the NBA. Miami is high on him and with their roster situation Jon has an excellent opportunity to make the team.

moonpie23
07-13-2010, 10:09 PM
people!! PEOPLE!!!!

STEVE FREAKING "FARMER" BLAKE has an nba career.....i think jon will have one too...

CameronBornAndBred
07-13-2010, 10:15 PM
They compete in European competitions in every sport though, basically for political reasons.
Cool, thanks for the correction. I knew geographically Israel wasn't there, but they are close enough for travel. Do they play any of the Russian teams? Could Scheyer go against Trajan?

moonpie23
07-13-2010, 11:01 PM
currently, jon is on the floor from a wicked shot to the eye....

CMARTZ
07-13-2010, 11:05 PM
He's wearing number 13 tonight...

The announcers just said that he's being taken to the nearest hospital for a laceration above the eye. What a tough break :(

moonpie23
07-13-2010, 11:11 PM
the announcers just said they were taking jon to the hospital......

ugh.....it was a really bad shot to the eye on a swipe to knock the ball out of his hands...
:(

roywhite
07-13-2010, 11:16 PM
the announcers just said they were taking jon to the hospital......

ugh.....it was a really bad shot to the eye on a swipe to knock the ball out of his hands...
:(

Ugh indeed...Eric Maynor/VCU flashback.

Good luck there, Jon. Can't keep a good man down.

MisterRoddy
07-13-2010, 11:57 PM

THe NBA will find out how tough Jon is. He'll probably be back in there by next game. If not, here's hoping he gets well soon!

WiJoe
07-14-2010, 12:13 AM
He's wearing number 13 tonight...

The announcers just said that he's being taken to the nearest hospital for a laceration above the eye. What a tough break :(

He was wearing 13 Sunday night, too. That means ... he's No. 13!

:eek:

gep
07-14-2010, 12:23 AM

I forget... Jon had a gash on his face from FR year?... and then had a scar for the rest of his Duke days... was it VCU? I felt bad for Jon with that scar. But if it was his FR year, maybe he gets his "cut" early, then gets tougher as the going gets tougher... with GOOD results:D

moonpie23
07-14-2010, 07:42 AM
it was actually a relief to hear that it was only a laceration ABOVE The eye......the announcers last night said that it looked like the guy's finger went into jon's eye socket... :(

ugh...man...

MisterRoddy
07-14-2010, 07:49 AM
it was actually a relief to hear that it was only a laceration ABOVE The eye......the announcers last night said that it looked like the guy's finger went into jon's eye socket... :(

ugh...man...

Is this kind of like Nash's injury this past year? If anything, it'll make Jon look tougher.

SilkyJ
07-14-2010, 03:06 PM
people!! PEOPLE!!!!

STEVE FREAKING "FARMER" BLAKE has an nba career.....i think jon will have one too...

Yea but Juan Dixon, the ACC POY, doesn't (anymore). Neither does Terrence Morris, the highest pick from that MD class, IIRC, nor Lonny Baxter...who'da thunk it.

jimsumner
07-14-2010, 05:17 PM
"Yea but Juan Dixon, the ACC POY, doesn't (anymore). Neither does Terrence Morris, the highest pick from that MD class, IIRC, nor Lonny Baxter...who'da thunk it."

Dixon, the 17th pick in the 2002 draft, played seven seasons in the NBA.

Baxter was the 44th pick of the 2002 draft. He played four seasons in the NBA before running into legal troubles.

Morris was the 34th pick of the 2001 draft. He wasn't a member of the 2002 title team, nor was in the same class as Blake, Dixon or Baxter.

The highest pick from Maryland during that era was Chris Wilcox.

Not sure how any of this relates to Jon Scheyer playing in the NBA but it's an amusing way to spend a few minutes.

Orange&BlackSheep
07-14-2010, 06:06 PM
people!! PEOPLE!!!!

Dude ... Steve Blake is a solid NBA back-up point guard. He is a very, very good on the ball defender. He did a very good job keeping Jay Will in front of him (gone in 50 seconds happened as you recall after Blake fouled out). His big liability in college was his shooting. His ball handling was definitely superior to Jon's coming out of college, and he was/is a better on the ball defender than Jon too (against point guards at least).

That said, Jon does have that certain something that allows him to anticipate and put himself in the right place on defense. He also plays within himself very well and takes care of the ball. He certainly is a better shooter than Blake was at that stage of his career.

I don't think there is any question though that Blake was the better pro prospect coming out of college. Plus he is a Johnny Rockets expert.

DevilHorns
07-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Dude ... Steve Blake is a solid NBA back-up point guard. He is a very, very good on the ball defender. He did a very good job keeping Jay Will in front of him (gone in 50 seconds happened as you recall after Blake fouled out). His big liability in college was his shooting. His ball handling was definitely superior to Jon's coming out of college, and he was/is a better on the ball defender than Jon too (against point guards at least).

That said, Jon does have that certain something that allows him to anticipate and put himself in the right place on defense. He also plays within himself very well and takes care of the ball. He certainly is a better shooter than Blake was at that stage of his career.

I don't think there is any question though that Blake was the better pro prospect coming out of college. Plus he is a Johnny Rockets expert.

http://web.archive.org/web/20021213114039/www.wam.umd.edu/~blakes/project1.html

Just too good.

SilkyJ
07-14-2010, 06:51 PM
"Yea but Juan Dixon, the ACC POY, doesn't (anymore). Neither does Terrence Morris, the highest pick from that MD class, IIRC, nor Lonny Baxter...who'da thunk it."

Dixon, the 17th pick in the 2002 draft, played seven seasons in the NBA.

Baxter was the 44th pick of the 2002 draft. He played four seasons in the NBA before running into legal troubles.

Morris was the 34th pick of the 2001 draft. He wasn't a member of the 2002 title team, nor was in the same class as Blake, Dixon or Baxter.

The highest pick from Maryland during that era was Chris Wilcox.

Not sure how any of this relates to Jon Scheyer playing in the NBA but it's an amusing way to spend a few minutes.

Thanks for the digging, Jim. Should have done it myself.

Additionally, Blake was the 9th pick in the 2nd round (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=1994) of the 2003 draft.

As for what it has to do with Scheyer, I guess my point was that sometimes (or maybe, "often") its hard to predict and who will stick in the L and who won't...

MisterRoddy
07-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Here's some more bad news regarding Jon:

wallacesports: Heat guard Jon Scheyer to miss final 3 Vegas games w/lacerating right eyelid. Saw specialist Wed & flew home to Chicago.
1 minute ago

Jon really needed this :(

DevilHorns
07-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Sheez. First mono so he missed out on some pre-draft team tryouts and now this.

Stick with it Jon!

Newton_14
07-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Here's some more bad news regarding Jon:

Jon really needed this :(

Yeah. That stinks. I know I am out on the proverbial limb with my confidence in him making the Heat. This does not help. But I am sticking to my guns. Jon will show his worth in training camp and make the Heat opening day roster sporting a new scar as another badge of honor.

Get Well Soon Jon Scheyer #30

CameronBornAndBred
07-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah. That stinks. I know I am out on the proverbial limb with my confidence in him making the Heat. This does not help. But I am sticking to my guns. Jon will show his worth in training camp and make the Heat opening day roster sporting a new scar as another badge of honor.

Get Well Soon Jon Scheyer #30
Here's hoping he gets the invite to camp. At least he made the most of his one full game, can't argue with a winning shot and poise down the stretch.

livehead16
07-15-2010, 03:17 PM
i created an e-card for jon, for everyone who wants to send him thoughts, wishes, etc. kid's had a rough couple of months, and i think it would be nice for him to hear from all of us that we're supporting him. if you want to sign, go here: http://groupcard.com/c/-zzMj59vcc1 and please feel free to pass the link to anyone you like. i'm trying to get as many signatures as i can by saturday morning. just keep in mind that it would be better if it's a surprise for him, so no @ mentions of his name on twitter, etc.

thanks!
Lara

Daniel tosh
07-15-2010, 04:17 PM
i created an e-card for jon, for everyone who wants to send him thoughts, wishes, etc. kid's had a rough couple of months, and i think it would be nice for him to hear from all of us that we're supporting him. if you want to sign, go here: http://groupcard.com/c/-zzMj59vcc1 and please feel free to pass the link to anyone you like. i'm trying to get as many signatures as i can by saturday morning. just keep in mind that it would be better if it's a surprise for him, so no @ mentions of his name on twitter, etc.

thanks!
Lara

This is a great idea

juise
07-15-2010, 04:23 PM
This is a great idea

Agreed. I signed it.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Fantastic idea. Never hurts to offer support.

moonpie23
07-15-2010, 08:43 PM
awesome....thanks

livehead16
07-16-2010, 01:43 PM
thanks so much to everyone who has signed the card so far... the response has been awesome. today's the last day, if anyone still wants to sign: http://groupcard.com/c/-zzMj59vcc1

also, jon tweeted this morning:

Hey, thanks for the tweets about my eye, I appreciate all the support, ill b better in no time

livehead16
07-16-2010, 11:51 PM
bumping this to the front page one last time... last call for messages for jon's card. planning to send it to him on saturday. thanks again to everyone who's already signed.

CameronBornAndBred
07-17-2010, 02:12 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-56127-Chicago-High-School-Sports-Examiner~y2010m7d16-Jon-Scheyer-returns-to-Chicago-but-received-positive-feedback-from-Heat

In addition, Head Coach Erik Spoelstra, born in Evanston, said he liked what he saw from Scheyer. Winderman, in addition, shares his positive insights.
“I could see him possibly getting a non-guaranteed offer to attend training camp,” Winderman said.

We tend to forget that while Jon was only able to play one full game, the coaches were able to watch him in the practices they had up to the time of his injury. It sounds like they liked what they saw.

gadzooks
07-17-2010, 05:59 PM
bumping this to the front page one last time... last call for messages for jon's card. planning to send it to him on saturday. thanks again to everyone who's already signed.Thanks for setting it up, Lara. I know he'll appreciate it.

http://www.examiner.com/x-56127-Chicago-High-School-Sports-Examiner~y2010m7d16-Jon-Scheyer-returns-to-Chicago-but-received-positive-feedback-from-Heat

We tend to forget that while Jon was only able to play one full game, the coaches were able to watch him in the practices they had up to the time of his injury. It sounds like they liked what they saw.That's really good to hear. I'm still hopeful.

livehead16
07-18-2010, 12:23 AM
card delivered and appreciated (via twitter)....

JonScheyer @livehead16 thanks for the support, and for reaching out. And everyone else who wrote on my e-card. The support is much appreciated.

thanks again for signing... the outpouring of 92 messages in 2 days, many of them really heartfelt, was terrific. i'm proud to be a duke fan all the time, but times like this are extra special.

zkz90
07-18-2010, 04:24 PM
The Heat just signed James Jones. According to espn below they only have two spots left...with or after Arroyo, Magloire, and Howard expected signings? What are the chances Jon makes the squad? I can definitely see Jon play the 2 as a shooter since the 1 is extremely deep with Wade/Lebron, Chalmers, and Arroyo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5390603

CDu
07-18-2010, 05:22 PM
The Heat just signed James Jones. According to espn below they only have two spots left...with or after Arroyo, Magloire, and Howard expected signings? What are the chances Jon makes the squad? I can definitely see Jon play the 2 as a shooter since the 1 is extremely deep with Wade/Lebron, Chalmers, and Arroyo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5390603

Well, there isn't a spot for Scheyer on the 12-man roster, as the Heat have 10 players signed and appear to be about to sign Howard, Arroyo, and Magloire. But perhaps Scheyer could be one of the 13th-15th players who don't dress for games but are on the roster. Of course, the Heat aren't required to have more than 13 players under contract, so they may be done if they sign all those guys.

With Chalmers, Arroyo, Wade, Miller, James, and Jones, the PG, SG, and SF spots are pretty much full. They may or may not add another perimeter player at all. But if they do, that guy would likely not dress most nights.

UrinalCake
07-18-2010, 09:33 PM
I kind of assumed that Wade would play the 2, Lebron the 3, and Bosh the 4. Wade and Lebron are both very versatile and will be used in lots of different ways, but this basic setup would maximize their scoring potential.

Which means in terms of pure point guards, Scheyer's competition is down to Chalmers and Arroyo (who hasn't officially signed yet). I don't know a lot about those two guys but I wouldn't count Jon out just yet!

Dev11
07-19-2010, 01:35 AM
I kind of assumed that Wade would play the 2, Lebron the 3, and Bosh the 4. Wade and Lebron are both very versatile and will be used in lots of different ways, but this basic setup would maximize their scoring potential.

Which means in terms of pure point guards, Scheyer's competition is down to Chalmers and Arroyo (who hasn't officially signed yet). I don't know a lot about those two guys but I wouldn't count Jon out just yet!

Somebody from the Heat stated that they expect Lebron to play the point. Don't remember where I read that, but I'll post the article if I do. If I am remembering that correctly, its not good news for Jon. Still pulling for him, though. He certainly deserves his shot.

CDu
07-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Somebody from the Heat stated that they expect Lebron to play the point. Don't remember where I read that, but I'll post the article if I do. If I am remembering that correctly, its not good news for Jon. Still pulling for him, though. He certainly deserves his shot.

In the latest Sports Illustrated, it was Pat Riley who said he envisioned James to play the role of Magic Johnson (playmaker/distributor). Now, whether that means the Heat will actually play James at PG or whether he'll play a point forward is another question.

Regardless, I think the signing of Mike Miller, James Jones, and Carlos Arroyo is the death knell of any role for Scheyer in Miami. Chalmers and Arroyo are quicker and better on-ball defenders than Scheyer (who is a terrific off-ball defender), and they have a year advantage in Miami's organization. Also, Miller and Jones are better perimeter shooters than Scheyer. With only about 70 minutes to divide after Wade and James get their minutes, there are just too many solid veterans and too few minutes to go around for Scheyer to be any more than end of the roster filler.

He can hope to sign as a 15th man and be there in case somebody gets hurt, but that's about all I can see for his role in Miami.

diveonthefloor
07-19-2010, 09:01 AM
The Grizzlies could use Jon....(or any other decent PG)

As of now, Vasquez and Conley are going to be fighting for minutes and there's some talk of trading Conley to Cleveland.

I'm sending Chris Wallace a note today.

CDu
07-19-2010, 10:14 AM
The Grizzlies could use Jon....(or any other decent PG)

As of now, Vasquez and Conley are going to be fighting for minutes and there's some talk of trading Conley to Cleveland.

I'm sending Chris Wallace a note today.

It appears that Memphis is trying to move OJ Mayo to the PG spot:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36781661/ns/sports-player_news/

And Conley was the starter last year and wasn't awful (12ppg, 5.3 assists). So Scheyer would be fighting with Vazquez potentially for 3rd PG minutes.

But even so, that appears to be a better fit in terms of a chance at at least SOME playing time. But at the moment, Scheyer's hometown team would seem the best fit. They currently have no backup at PG at all (though I suspect they'll remedy that with a guy like Jason Williams or Rafer Alston).

theAlaskanBear
07-19-2010, 10:35 AM
I have to agree that with his injury, it appears unlikely that Jon will play for the Heat this year. It seems much more likely they would take a shooter like Hasbrouck who is 9/20 from 3...since James and Wade are going to dominate the ball....they dont need a decision-making point, but more shooters.

SupaDave
07-21-2010, 05:30 PM
I have to agree that with his injury, it appears unlikely that Jon will play for the Heat this year. It seems much more likely they would take a shooter like Hasbrouck who is 9/20 from 3...since James and Wade are going to dominate the ball....they dont need a decision-making point, but more shooters.

There are still some that believe Jon will end up on someone's roster... (including me).

http://dimemag.com/2010/07/10-undrafted-rookies-who-will-be-on-nba-rosters-this-fall/

ChicagoCrazy84
07-21-2010, 06:46 PM
There are still some that believe Jon will end up on someone's roster... (including me).

http://dimemag.com/2010/07/10-undrafted-rookies-who-will-be-on-nba-rosters-this-fall/

I am in agreement. He will end up somewhere and actually, with the Heat not looking like a viable option anymore for Scheyer, I am relieved because I do not want a reason to like/root for the Heat this year. :)

Cool that Zoubek's name came up on that list as well. I didn't think Zoobs had a GREAT showing in the summer league as it seemed his propensity to foul was still there.

RelativeWays
07-21-2010, 07:02 PM
They were right about Jeremy Lin, he signed with the Warriors. I feel pretty good about Z making the nets. I know there was some concerned when NJ signed that veteran center a few weeks back, but it makes sense. Even if they love Zoubs, if Lopez gets injured, do you want your back up to be a foul prone project who has no pro experience and is an offensive liability? Probably not. They'll let Brian cook abit on the bench and in work outs before making any moves on putting him in the rotation.

Scheyer has skills and smarts, but its looking less likely he'll end up in Miami. Even T-Mac will play for the league minimum on the Heat for a ring. Its too bad Laettner retired in 05, he'd have one too.

DukieBoy
07-28-2010, 04:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E72TI7w6Spo

Great little clip about Scheyer's summer league

Poincaré
07-28-2010, 06:06 PM

Wade was on record saying that the PG position is Mario Chalmers' to lose. Trouble in paradise?

roywhite
07-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Any updates on Jon's eye injury?