PDA

View Full Version : Miles Plumlee Dunks Over 5 Kids

bennett
06-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey guys, I just found this awesome video of Miles Plumlee dunking the ball after jumping over 5 kids. Yea, 5. Go check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y23eNBZrds0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y23eNBZrds0

mph
06-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Miles' arms and shoulders look huge in those videos.

DukeHoo
06-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah he definitely looks a lot more cut than last year. Guess someone's been taking on the Beast a lot this summer.

kestrel
06-29-2010, 12:20 PM
More importantly, look closely at his face as the kids surround him. Is it just me, or do I detect the humble beginnings of a new Beard of Power?

moonpie23
06-29-2010, 12:23 PM
man, that was a fun video to watch......glad it worked out ok for the kids...

DevilWearsPrada
06-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Miles looks more muscular than he did at the end of season. I really like the beard. I think the Beard gives a more mature look and adds a look of intimdation factor. Whatever works and gives them more confidence!!! The campers are having the time of their lives!!! Thanks for posting!!!!

Hancock 4 Duke
06-29-2010, 12:36 PM
I have a video on my phone, I'll try and post it later. I was pretty much in the same spot, everyone went crazy haha. He also has a little bit of the Zoubs beard this year

UrinalCake
06-29-2010, 12:50 PM
When I read this headline I thought it was referring to UNC's starting team.

amazinballer323
06-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Can it be an unwritten rule that one player each year has to have Zoubek style facial hair?

pfrduke
06-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Can it be an unwritten rule that one player each year has to have Zoubek style facial hair?

It's not an unwritten rule. The Beard has a life of its own. You don't choose the Beard, the Beard chooses you. Right now it's attached itself to Miles, and likes what it sees. Next year it has its sights set on Mason, and then Tyler Adams (who would, of course, be known as Grizzly once the Beard chooses him).

uh_no
06-29-2010, 01:11 PM
wow

he took off from just inside the free throw line

JasonEvans
06-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Fun video. A better angle can be seen in this version also posted on youtube -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JqzrJuoiNA.

--Jason "the campers just mob him - he must have loved it" Evans

CDu
06-29-2010, 01:27 PM
wow

he took off from just inside the free throw line

Yeah, that's the more impressive part for me. He did a split-leg dunk from not too far short of the free throw line. The fact that there were kids underneath is sort of moot, as he'd have to get that high off the ground to complete the dunk anyway. But it's VERY impressive that a 6'10" guy can dunk from that distance.

jacone21
06-29-2010, 01:29 PM

Love the post-dunk Singler pose by the kid at the front of the line.

superdave
06-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Nice. I went to Duke camp probably 4 or 5 years and always loved it when the players hung around and did stuff like this. They always had an evening pickup game and the court was lined with us 12 year olds.

I remember Greg Newton showing us a drill where you are allowed 1 dribble and have to dunk the ball. He would start from further out each time, take one big dribble, then two steps then dunk. Pretty cool to see. I think NBA draft workouts do that drill. And the Mikan drill but with dunking instead of laying it in.

jipops
06-29-2010, 01:50 PM
I was lucky enough to attend a Duke basketball camp as a kid. This video brought back some great memories. I wasn't dunked on by one of the players but just seeing the excitement on all the kids' faces got me reminiscing.

Lennies
06-29-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm just thankful that the subject of this thread wasn't "Miles Plumlee Dunks Over 4.5 Kids"..

BD80
06-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Yeah, that's the more impressive part for me. He did a split-leg dunk from not too far short of the free throw line. The fact that there were kids underneath is sort of moot, as he'd have to get that high off the ground to complete the dunk anyway. But it's VERY impressive that a 6'10" guy can dunk from that distance.

Wait. I am confused.

Miles is the unathletic one and his brother Mason the explosive leaper?

Bluedog
06-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Wait. I am confused.

Miles is the unathletic one and his brother Mason the explosive leaper?

I know you're being sarcarstic, but Miles actually was a great high jumper in high school. He posted a school record high jump of 6’9” and finished second in the state meet. They guy has some hops.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1580059

Mason and Miles are both listed by Duke at 6-foot-10 – Miles at 240-pounds, Mason at 230-pounds. Privately, Mason claims to be a half-inch taller. He might be a little quicker, although the younger brother admits that Miles is the better jumper.

“In high school, Miles high-jumped 6-9 ... I only jumped 6-8,” he said. “He has some dunks I can’t do. I thought I was more explosive, but the other day [in a pickup game], he hurdled Zoubs [Zoubek] on the break and dunked – like the famous dunk of Vince Carter jumping over that guy. I can’t top that.”

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204822517

rotogod00
06-29-2010, 03:18 PM
I know you're being sarcarstic, but Miles actually was a great high jumper in high school. He posted a school record high jump of 6’9” and finished second in the state meet. They guy has some hops.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1580059

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204822517

I don't believe he was being sarcastic as I too always hear that Mason is the athletic Plumlee brother. Thought that was the main reason that Mason is a projected lottery pick while Miles is nowhere to be found on Top 100 lists.

Jderf
06-29-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't believe he was being sarcastic as I too always hear that Mason is the athletic Plumlee brother. Thought that was the main reason that Mason is a projected lottery pick while Miles is nowhere to be found on Top 100 lists.

I thought Miles was always the better leaper, but that Mason (while also a fantastic leaper for his height) is universally agreed to be more agile. It's open for debate, though.

CDu
06-29-2010, 03:29 PM
I thought Miles was always the better leaper, but that Mason (while also a fantastic leaper for his height) is universally agreed to be more agile. It's open for debate, though.

I would guess that a big part of the difference in draft stock is simply that Mason showed more basketball skill as a freshman than Miles did. And Mason was the more highly-regarded high school prospect. Hype goes a long way in the draft world. And Mason came to Duke with more hype.

Purely athletically (run/jump stuff), they appear to be pretty similar. I never thought of Mason as especially quick or agile (at least not noticeably more than Miles). Mason just maybe appears to be capable of doing a bit more with his athleticism than Miles.

moonpie23
06-29-2010, 03:49 PM
well, let's not forget that the "dome" is now called the MASON PLUMLEE dome over in chapel hell....

he's undefeated there AND has just as many rings as tyler hansblow...

cspan37421
06-29-2010, 04:57 PM
I was there for that dunk! And so was my son, who was in camp that week (session 1). In fact, I saw myself in the stands in the second video from under the basket angle.

On the downside, Miles did this one after a couple of not-quite attempts at a between-the-legs throwdown. On the plus side, he looks amazingly fit. He's definitely hit the weight room with that upper body, but what blew me away was how trim he appeared around the middle. Of course, with that tank top he was wearing, it showed it off more than his Duke uniform would. But still, he looked like a triathlete in person.

I told him the beard was becoming a great tradition. I'm trying to remember - have we had some other beards prior to Zouperman during Coach K's tenure? A few mustaches, to be sure, but beards? Pretty cool, as long as it doesn't look too much like Gasol (love his game, but boy, that beard needs shaping badly).

AZLA
06-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Miles will ultimately be a great Duke leader, and I hope his summer work will not only differentiate him a little bit from Mason next year, but will also push his bro to be even that much better. Their situation is special and I think though they've accomplished a lot already -- the skies the limit for both of them.

Tim1515
06-29-2010, 06:43 PM
i can't believe how big Miles is.

I know we will see a lot of easy dunks from Miles, Mason and even Kelly this year due to the ability of Kyrie specifically. I do wonder, and hope, that these guys also see more pure post touches inside then our bigs did last season.

bennett
06-30-2010, 05:44 PM
I think Miles Plumlee will make a huge difference next year for Duke. He's bulked up and gotten much stronger, which will help him a ton. Also, I think another player who will make a huge difference next year is Ryan Kelly. He's been working stronger and has also been in the weight room every day this summer. Expect big things from him next yer.

ReformedAggie
06-30-2010, 06:27 PM
It's not an unwritten rule. The Beard has a life of its own. You don't choose the Beard, the Beard chooses you. Right now it's attached itself to Miles, and likes what it sees. Next year it has its sights set on Mason, and then Tyler Adams (who would, of course, be known as Grizzly once the Beard chooses him).

you crack me up

Verga3
06-30-2010, 07:30 PM

Nice. These kids will never forget this camp/dunk. Thanks for posting. Miles has always had the hops. Guess it's hard to shave in the morning when you are pumping iron.

pfrduke
06-30-2010, 08:20 PM
you crack me up

Thanks! :)

As an aside, I can't tell you how much I want a) Tyler Adams to, in fact, grow a beard and b) for the "Grizzly Adams" nickname to catch on. I'm really way too excited about this possibility. Must be the off-season ;)

bennett
07-01-2010, 12:28 PM
If Plumlee wears the beard this year and Duke wins another national championship, I think the beard will become a tradition and be passed down for many Duke teams to come.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-01-2010, 07:43 PM
If Plumlee wears the beard this year and Duke wins another national championship, I think the beard will become a tradition and be passed down for many Duke teams to come.
Would love to see a nasty point guard w/ a huge beard! Barron Davis like would be classic.

UncleBill
07-01-2010, 10:43 PM
At last! A good reason to have moved from Shelden's Atlanta to NJ!

bennett
07-02-2010, 02:17 PM
would love to see a nasty point guard w/ a huge beard! Barron davis like would be classic.

that would be sooooo awesome.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-02-2010, 10:02 PM
i can see Kyrie with a lil 2000ish Kobe Bryan lil afro and a Zoubeard... haha classic!

bennett
07-03-2010, 09:48 PM
i can see Kyrie with a lil 2000ish Kobe Bryan lil afro and a Zoubeard... haha classic!

Or a 2000ish Kobe Bryant lil afro and the Baron Davis Beard- that would be EPIC. Can someone show this to Kyrie Irving?

bennett
07-09-2010, 04:39 PM
This video is so awesome.

bennett
07-19-2010, 07:28 AM
If you haven't seen the video yet check it out!

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-19-2010, 10:38 AM

This is funny because it's true.

Plumbeard?

CEF1959
07-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Forget the beard. Check out the results of Miles' work in the weightroom.

Breakout season.

pfrduke
07-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Forget the beard.

How dare you spread such blasphemy! The Beard will not be sullied in this regard. Nor will it let you speak of the weight room results as if they were somehow unconnected. The Beard motivates. It pushes Miles beyond the limits of other, beardless mortals. The Beard shall not be forgotten, but shall endure.

BD80
07-19-2010, 02:24 PM
How dare you spread such blasphemy! The Beard will not be sullied in this regard. Nor will it let you speak of the weight room results as if they were somehow unconnected. The Beard motivates. It pushes Miles beyond the limits of other, beardless mortals. The Beard shall not be forgotten, but shall endure.

Excuse me, but the cart belongs behind the horse.

With Zou and Miles, there is no beard.

It is residue from the firing of the BIG GUNS. It took Zou until his fourth year in the weight room to build up his arms to the caliber necessary, Miles is there in year three.

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-19-2010, 02:46 PM
OK, I thought I had seen this before, but last year he could only dunk over four kids. :)

And Spatola.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y47zzmJ_QBQ