PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Kelly

sdotbarbee
06-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Just came across this in the Charlotte Observer.

Blend in Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith, plus Andre Dawkins, Miles Plumlee, Mason Plumlee, Seth Curry and beefed-up Ryan Kelly (232 pounds), and it's easy to see how the Devils could win their fifth title.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/06/28/1532016/dukes-lineup-may-change-but-talent.html#ixzz0sFYmSpqV

Great to hear that he has put on some weight.

roywhite
06-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Just came across this in the Charlotte Observer.

Blend in Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith, plus Andre Dawkins, Miles Plumlee, Mason Plumlee, Seth Curry and beefed-up Ryan Kelly (232 pounds), and it's easy to see how the Devils could win their fifth title.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/06/28/1532016/dukes-lineup-may-change-but-talent.html#ixzz0sFYmSpqV

Great to hear that he has put on some weight.

Barbecue, barbells, and beer...works every time.

Well, maybe the beer is not a good choice for athletes in training. :)

Ryan Kelly as the surprise player of the year?

Huh?
06-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Beer makes everything better, even athletes.

watzone
06-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Kelly's best hope of playing was to beef up and it should serve him well. His strength was a bit of an issue on the blocks, but at 230 or even 225, he will be tougher down low. I have 5 pounds I could give him;) With Ryan being one of three players 6-10 or over, his time will come.

DukieInBrasil
06-29-2010, 11:29 AM
with so many different questions that need to be answered and players that need to step up or into new roles, it's nice to read that RK is doing one of the things necessary for him to make a bigger impact as a Soph. Having Ryan as another effective weapon will only make us that much tougher. Go Ryan, Go Duke!!!

scottdude8
06-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Coach K said last year that Ryan was very ill over the summer and that impeded his development, both skill wise and body wise. If he's really 225, that is a great sign that he can be a solid backup bigman for us, especially since we need him to rebound.

-bdbd
06-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Given our thinness in the post, a bulked up Ryan Kelly could be critical. As most on these boards seem to think we'll start/play a lot of the "big" line-up, which includes both MP's and KS playing at the same time, we then don't have an obvious back-up in the post should either Plumlee get injured or run into foul or fatigue problems. RK could really play a key role, and I expect he'll get more minutes than many people realize at this point.

Still, will be eager to see his improved strength and willingness to bang down low. This is clearly a good sign though.

I'd worried that depth in the post was a real achillies heel for us potentially. Feeling better now.

jimsumner
06-29-2010, 12:00 PM
K discussed Kelly a couple of times yesterday. He did reference his weight as being in the 230-234 range and that the additional weight would make him better able to compete inside.

K also stated that Kelly's ability to shoot and pass from the perimeter would draw out opposing big men and open up the floor for the perimeter players to go inside.

I don't think there's any doubt that Duke views Kelly as an important component of next season's team.

MChambers
06-29-2010, 12:29 PM
K also stated that Kelly's ability to shoot and pass from the perimeter would draw out opposing big men and open up the floor for the perimeter players to go inside.
Right, which is why I'd think Kyle would often be at the 3 when posting up. Have Kelly outside, either at the 3 point line or the free throw line, and there will be a lot of room inside, either for Kyle to post up, or for one of the guards to drive.
Season can't start soon enough.

Hancock 4 Duke
06-29-2010, 12:31 PM
He was one of the speakers at Duke Basketball Camp, and he has beefed up quite a bit. I think he might be key his Junior and Senior years at Duke

amazinballer323
06-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Is he still able to knock down shots and even create his own? If so that look out he could be in for a massive year I could see him eclipsing a Plumlee in the lineup.

UrinalCake
06-29-2010, 12:58 PM
More strength is never a bad thing, but I've always perceived Kelly as a shooter. Perhaps that's not fair, as the longest I've ever seen him on a basketball court was during the McD's three-point shooting contest, but I would think that he needs to maintain a delicate balance between bulking up and not losing any quickness which would allow him to get open on the perimeter.

For this upcoming year I can see that playing inside gives him the best chance of getting on the floor, but I don't know that that makes the best use of his abilities. Either way, I hope we get to see him some more as I'm a big fan of his.

jimsumner
06-29-2010, 01:28 PM
"Right, which is why I'd think Kyle would often be at the 3 when posting up"

Correct. Krzyzewski specifically addressed this scenario yesterday. He expects Kyle to be able to post up smaller players while playing the 3 because Duke's bigs can invert the offense by pulling bigger defenders outside.

superdave
06-29-2010, 01:33 PM
With all this discussion of Kelly and Miles bulking up, I look forward to the release of the 2010-2011 team picture and this board lighting up with Nick Horvath circa 2003 references. Maybe Zoubek's beard is establishing a new team picture tradition for us.

jjh1080
06-29-2010, 02:08 PM
If Kyle plays the 3, that will create playing problem for the "guards."

Kyrie, Nolan, Seth, and Andre. Thornton is riding the pine a lot, maybe redshirts.

I'm concerned that the way Nolan played last year, he will get 30 minutes of playing time. Seth can shoot lights out from reports. Kyrie expects to play a lot, built up to be a lottery draft pick in 2011. Does this leave Andre in Kyle's shadow and will he be okay with that? I do like Kyle at the 3, he is a problem for just about anyone.

No speculation asked for, just something to think about.

CDu
06-29-2010, 02:14 PM
If Kyle plays the 3, that will create playing problem for the "guards."

Kyrie, Nolan, Seth, and Andre. Thornton is riding the pine a lot, maybe redI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.s.

I'm concerned that the way Nolan played last year, he will get 30 minutes of playing time. Seth can shoot lights out from reports. Kyrie expects to play a lot, built up to be a lottery draft pick in 2011. Does this leave Andre in Kyle's shadow and will he be okay with that? I do like Kyle at the 3, he is a problem for just about anyone.

No speculation asked for, just something to think about.

Well there is going to be a minutes crunch regardless of where Singler plays. If he plays mostly at the 3 (as many here including me expect), he'll crunch the guards minutes and likely one of the four guards will see limited time. If he plays mostly at the 4 (which some others expect), there'll be a crunch in post guy minutes and likely one of the four bigger guys will see limited time. No matter what, there are likely to be 1-2 players in our top-ten that don't see major minutes. That's the nature of having a deep and talented team.

amazinballer323
06-29-2010, 02:55 PM
or we could take the Rick Barnes approach and play everybody different minutes every game.

Wait...

MChambers
06-29-2010, 02:59 PM
everyone gets 20 minutes a game.

Big Pappa
06-29-2010, 03:03 PM
or we could take the Rick Barnes approach and play everybody different minutes every game.

Wait...

With absolutely no regard for match-up, situation, position, skill, or score. That's money.

gumbomoop
06-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Well there is going to be a minutes crunch regardless of where Singler plays. If he plays mostly at the 3 (as many here including me expect), he'll crunch the guards minutes and likely one of the four guards will see limited time. If he plays mostly at the 4 (which some others expect), there'll be a crunch in post guy minutes and likely one of the four bigger guys will see limited time. No matter what, there are likely to be 1-2 players in our top-ten that don't see major minutes. That's the nature of having a deep and talented team.

I agree with this, but do want to add a "friendly amendment" to the bolded sentence. In trying to be precise, I hope I'll not be too picky: I'd say there will be at least 2 players who, esp by late-season, will play only spot minutes, say 3-4 mpg at most. Those 2 will likely be TT and JH, not because they can't play, but because next season Duke will indeed by "a deep and talented team." My guess is that a 3d player will slide toward limited minutes [= "not major minutes"], or maybe both RK and DD will play "moderate" minutes.

And actually, "deep and talented" may be insufficiently precise, as well, for it leaves out this: 3 guys are way past "deep" in talent and/or experience. Given this fact, there's a 2d scenario, one that I wouldn't quite predict, but that is not inconceivable: maybe K will "mix and match" the 7 players other than the 3 near-certain late-season 30+ mpg guys [guess....], so that during last half-dozen ACC games, and through the tourneys, K and players will be comfortable knowing whoever's hot, or D-ferocious, will play major minutes in any particular game.

ChicagoCrazy84
06-29-2010, 08:33 PM
I am sure that Tyler and Josh would love to be playing 20 min a game come February or March, but the great thing is...They ARE NOT the type of guys that would bicker about it and start to create friction in the locker room or off the court. They know or knew what they were getting into and they'll become great players in the program because of years like this. Playing hard in practice against multiple AA candidates and potential NBA starters goes along way. With that said though, I hope Coach K thows them a bone every once in a while and gives them decent minutes.

uh_no
06-29-2010, 09:37 PM
They ARE NOT the type of guys that would bicker about it and start to create friction in the locker room or off the court.

That would probably be one of the quicker way to find yourself off a coach K led team....

Newton_14
06-29-2010, 10:50 PM
I am sure that Tyler and Josh would love to be playing 20 min a game come February or March, but the great thing is...They ARE NOT the type of guys that would bicker about it and start to create friction in the locker room or off the court. They know or knew what they were getting into and they'll become great players in the program because of years like this. Playing hard in practice against multiple AA candidates and potential NBA starters goes along way. With that said though, I hope Coach K thows them a bone every once in a while and gives them decent minutes.

Interestingly enough, I did a little research and found the below data:

- In 96/97 season, 9 guys averaged 12 mpg or higher. The lowest 3 were 12.0, 12.1, and 16.1. All of the other 6 averaged 21.4mpg or better with the highest being 31.3 and that was the only player above 30mpg.

- In 97/98 season, 10 guys averaged 12.6mpg or higher. The lowest 3 were 12.6, 14.4, and 19.3. All of the other 6 averaged 22.2 or higher with the highest being 28.8mpg.

- In 98/99 season, 9 guys averaged 9.9 mpg or higher. The lowest 3 were 9.9, 14.7, and 15.6 mpg. All of the other 6 averaged 17.7mpg or higher with the highest being 31mpg. There were only 2 players that averaged over 30mpg.

There are other similar years as well. The point is, when K has teams with quality depth, he uses it. Tyler will likely be on the low end in terms of mpg of the 10 guys, but I would expect the top 9 guys to all be in double figures with mpg with a lot of them in between 20mpg to 30mpg. We will likely have only 2 players average more than 30mpg in Kyle and Nolan but there should not be any iron man 35+mpg players this season based on history and the talent level on this squad.

As for Ryan, I like others expect to see a lot of him this year. I heard earlier he would spend some minutes at the 5 spot backing up Miles and the added weight seems to confirm that. Ryan only needs two things to break into the rotation. They are strength (seems to be progressing there), and the ability to catch up to the speed of the college game. I feel he will do that starting this year. Ryan is a very highly skilled player with a heck of a lot of talent. Before all is said and done he is going to leave his mark in the Duke uniform.

CampbellBlueDevil
06-30-2010, 03:09 AM
What was Ryan weighing during the season last year?

sagegrouse
06-30-2010, 09:10 AM
What was Ryan weighing during the season last year?

Ryan was listed at 220 last year, so 232 is a significant increase. But be careful. The issue for athletes on the skinny side is whether they maintain their weight during the season. And, of course, that's a state secret.

You may want to list the "stats" tab on basketball at GoDuke.com on your favorites list. Two clicks and you get the answer (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/roster.php?season=2009-10).

sagegrouse

-jk
06-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Let's keep race out of discussions of athleticism. It doesn't add anything meaningful to the conversation.

-jk

Devilsfan
06-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Didn't some services have Ryan ranked ahead of Mason coming out of high school? I for one would be happy if he played as good as Mason next year.

SilkyJ
06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Didn't some services have Ryan ranked ahead of Mason coming out of high school? I for one would be happy if he played as good as Mason next year.

Scout definitely did. I think some others may have as well.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2009

I also seem to recall that RK got significantly more playing time than MP2 on the USA U-XX team that both played on the summer (or 2?) before they arrived...

Lennies
06-30-2010, 02:09 PM
That would probably be one of the quicker way to find yourself off a coach K led team....

See Taylor King.

Double DD
06-30-2010, 07:27 PM

Mason came in with more hype because of his athleticism but Kelly was considered the superior recruit by the scouting services. The RSCI consensus rankings had Kelly ranked 14th and Mason ranked 18th.
http://rscihoops.com/

ACCBBallFan
06-30-2010, 09:15 PM

Agree the know what they are getting into, and it is not all bad.

While their PT except during blowouts may be down, Tyler improves his defensive specialty every day practicing vs. Kyrie and Seth and Nolan. much more than he would getting a few more MPG twice a week.

Same for Josh who either guards Kyle at WF or Ryan/Mason at PF or Miles at C and in the process helps his teammates who do get the bulk of the PT.

If Plumlees do not improve their tendency to foul while going for highlight reel blocks, Josh may see double digit minutes, unless coach K in that instance decides to play smaller to alleviate the PT crunch among Kyrie, Nolan, Seth and Dre.

buddy
06-30-2010, 10:20 PM
There are 200 available minutes in every game. We have three guys who will play 30-35 minutes every game, so that leaves 100 - 110 for everyone else. (Probably closer to 100). Assuming they continue to deserve to start, I would not be surprised to see MP1 and MP2 get 20-25 minutes apiece, maybe closer to 20. That would be in keeping with this past year's big man rotation (Lance got more, but Z only got 20-25, with the Plumlee's less, so I would expect them to be around Z's numbers). Despite the happy talk about Kyle being a 3, unless RK can play 20-25, then Kyle inevitably will be playing in a three guard lineup a considerable amount. Dawkins and Curry (and everyone else) will only play if they deserve it, but I expect them to deserve it. So I see a lot of guys with 15-20, which means rested players, and multiple looks to throw at the opposition. I actually would be happy if Nolan averages 28-30, because it would mean (a) we are really, really good in the backcourt, and (b) he would not have to worry about fatigue. I think a major key is whether the Plumlees improve sufficiently to merit 20-25 (or more minutes). If not, we could have problems, or Kyle will have to do more banging and less hanging. But after the 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 seasons, it sure will be nice to (hopefully) have lots of quality depth.

NSDukeFan
06-30-2010, 10:23 PM
There are 200 available minutes in every game. We have three guys who will play 30-35 minutes every game, so that leaves 100 - 110 for everyone else. (Probably closer to 100). Assuming they continue to deserve to start, I would not be surprised to see MP1 and MP2 get 20-25 minutes apiece, maybe closer to 20. That would be in keeping with this past year's big man rotation (Lance got more, but Z only got 20-25, with the Plumlee's less, so I would expect them to be around Z's numbers). Despite the happy talk about Kyle being a 3, unless RK can play 20-25, then Kyle inevitably will be playing in a three guard lineup a considerable amount. Dawkins and Curry (and everyone else) will only play if they deserve it, but I expect them to deserve it. So I see a lot of guys with 15-20, which means rested players, and multiple looks to throw at the opposition. I actually would be happy if Nolan averages 28-30, because it would mean (a) we are really, really good in the backcourt, and (b) he would not have to worry about fatigue. I think a major key is whether the Plumlees improve sufficiently to merit 20-25 (or more minutes). If not, we could have problems, or Kyle will have to do more banging and less hanging. But after the 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 seasons, it sure will be nice to (hopefully) have lots of quality depth.

I am curious as to who you know will play 30-35 minutes every game, because my current assumption is that whoever is third in minutes may not play much, if any, more than 25 minutes per game.

uh_no
07-01-2010, 08:35 AM
(b) he would not have to worry about fatigue.

Are you REALLY concerned about fatigue for nolan after last season?

are we STILL going to go through the season hearing people say 'k doesn't rest his starters enough' and 'we'll have tired legs in the tournament'?

when it comes to kyle or nolan, I don't want to hear 1 person even MENTION that 30-35 minutes a game will make them ineffective come the postseason

buddy
07-01-2010, 08:36 AM
I am curious as to who you know will play 30-35 minutes every game, because my current assumption is that whoever is third in minutes may not play much, if any, more than 25 minutes per game.

Kyle will play 30-35. Nolan will play 30. If Irving is as advertised, then he also will get 30. I don't see us playing point guard by committee--if we have to do that, then Irving is NOT as advertised and we have a problem.

buddy
07-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Are you REALLY concerned about fatigue for nolan after last season?

are we STILL going to go through the season hearing people say 'k doesn't rest his starters enough' and 'we'll have tired legs in the tournament'?

when it comes to kyle or nolan, I don't want to hear 1 person even MENTION that 30-35 minutes a game will make them ineffective come the postseason

I am not saying that fatigue will be a problem. I think this is a case where less is more. There will be games where Nolan will play 35-38 minutes, as will Kyle, but generally, I think our depth will give K the ability to expand his rotation.

Let me turn this around. There are 200 minutes. If we have a 10 man rotation, that's 20 minutes per player. If we have an 8 man rotation, that's 25 minutes per player. The more minutes Kyle and Nolan play, the fewer minutes for everyone else. And if Irving is not at the point, who will be? There was no plan B at point last year, as Jon played 35 minutes per game. I don't think there is going to be a Plan B this year either, unless it is Tyler Thornton. I don't think Nolan is Plan B at point. His value is generating his own shot, not someone else's.

roywhite
07-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Does every thread need to turn into a discussion of how playing time breaks down for next season?

Plenty to talk about with Ryan. Increased size, strength, and experience should give him a solid role. Playing the high post or outside should give him the opportunity to shoot or make a good pass...both of those skills are potential strong points for him.

And he can get his share of rebounds.

CDu
07-01-2010, 09:04 AM
I am not saying that fatigue will be a problem. I think this is a case where less is more. There will be games where Nolan will play 35-38 minutes, as will Kyle, but generally, I think our depth will give K the ability to expand his rotation.

Let me turn this around. There are 200 minutes. If we have a 10 man rotation, that's 20 minutes per player. If we have an 8 man rotation, that's 25 minutes per player. The more minutes Kyle and Nolan play, the fewer minutes for everyone else. And if Irving is not at the point, who will be? There was no plan B at point last year, as Jon played 35 minutes per game. I don't think there is going to be a Plan B this year either, unless it is Tyler Thornton. I don't think Nolan is Plan B at point. His value is generating his own shot, not someone else's.

I don't think there has to be a pure PG as the "plan B" at PG. There were plenty of times where Smith ran the offense last year, especially later in the season when Scheyer was "slumping" a bit. Smith and Curry are each capable of giving 5-10 mpg at PG. Is it their ideal role? Probably not. Both are better scorers than distributors. But that doesn't mean that they can't do it, especially if it means one of them distributes while the other takes the scoring guard role.

Irving may well play 30+ mpg this year. But it won't be because we don't have other options to play the position. And if he only plays 25 mpg, I wouldn't say that's cause for alarm. We have really good depth at the guard position, with two PG and two combo guards who are each very capable of beating pressure and initiating offense.

The Gordog
07-01-2010, 11:05 AM

No happy talk. Kyle was a 3 last year, is a 3this year, or would be if K played positions like that. There's no reason anyone has to play 30 MPG. I think we will see enough blowouts we'll end up like this:

Irving 27
Smith 28
Curry 19
Dawkins 13
Singler 28
Mason 25
Miles 25
Kelly 20
Hairston 10
Thornton 5
Total 200

Kyle will play 30-35. Nolan will play 30. If Irving is as advertised, then he also will get 30. I don't see us playing point guard by committee--if we have to do that, then Irving is NOT as advertised and we have a problem.

No, it means Seth is really, really good and/or we are blowing folks out.

Does every thread need to turn into a discussion of how playing time breaks down for next season?

Plenty to talk about with Ryan. Increased size, strength, and experience should give him a solid role. Playing the high post or outside should give him the opportunity to shoot or make a good pass...both of those skills are potential strong points for him.

And he can get his share of rebounds.

Absolutely. I have Ryan down for 20 MPG - up from 6.5 last year. I think he'll be a killer on O if he can stay on the court with his D.

Kedsy
07-01-2010, 11:49 AM

Well, I agree with your sentiment, Roy, but the funny thing is in a way it sort of does.

If Ryan is 230+ and it's muscle and he can keep the weight on, he would be a starter on many if not most teams.

If Seth is the potential superstar that many seem to think, he would be the primary option on many if not most teams.

If Miles has added as much muscle as it appears from his "dunk over five kids" video, then he shouldn't be relinquishing his starting job, and if Mason makes the freshman-to-sophomore jump and justifies the lottery hype then he's potentially an all-league performer.

If Andre has gotten stronger (and maybe taller) and has truly worked on his defense and ballhandling to go with his stellar shooting, he would be a solid starter for many teams.

If Josh is good enough to be a starter for the U18 team he certainly would deserve solid minutes in the middle of most teams' rotations.

And Tyler Thornton has supposedly beaten Kendall Marshall (an alleged key rotation figure and possible starter on a top 25 team) in most of their head-to-head matchups and for the area post-season awards, so he'd be in the regular rotation for a good number of teams.

And, oh yeah, our other three players have a really good chance to ALL be first-team ACC.

So, yeah, no matter how a conversation starts eventually we're going to be talking about minutes.

roywhite
07-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Well, I agree with your sentiment, Roy, but the funny thing is in a way it sort of does.

If Ryan is 230+ and it's muscle and he can keep the weight on, he would be a starter on many if not most teams.

If Seth is the potential superstar that many seem to think, he would be the primary option on many if not most teams.

If Miles has added as much muscle as it appears from his "dunk over five kids" video, then he shouldn't be relinquishing his starting job, and if Mason makes the freshman-to-sophomore jump and justifies the lottery hype then he's potentially an all-league performer.

If Andre has gotten stronger (and maybe taller) and has truly worked on his defense and ballhandling to go with his stellar shooting, he would be a solid starter for many teams.

If Josh is good enough to be a starter for the U18 team he certainly would deserve solid minutes in the middle of most teams' rotations.

And Tyler Thornton has supposedly beaten Kendall Marshall (an alleged key rotation figure and possible starter on a top 25 team) in most of their head-to-head matchups and for the area post-season awards, so he'd be in the regular rotation for a good number of teams.

And, oh yeah, our other three players have a really good chance to ALL be first-team ACC.

So, yeah, no matter how a conversation starts eventually we're going to be talking about minutes.

Well, when you put it that way, I shouldn't complain. :)

All that talent, and the best coach in the business....

Should be fun to watch.

hq2
07-01-2010, 04:29 PM
All that talent and only one ball. No doubt but that this appears to be the most talented and complete team since '04, and probably the deepest since '92. It will indeed be a challenge for K to find a way to keep everyone happy with their roles on the team. I'd say there's enough minutes for most of the players, but one or two may not be happy. If K can get the chemistry to work, then I don't see anybody beating them when they play their best.

Sandman
07-01-2010, 04:42 PM
I thought coming in that RK was touted as a rather tall outside player with good shooting and great passing skills. The passing was there during his limited play last year, but the shooting was not; unorthodox, flat shot with erratic results.

Now most people are saying he will be a 4, possibly a 5, this year. What are his inside strengths and weaknesses? I'm not sure there's much evidence to indicate how successful he will be, although I really hope he will because I'm a big fan of Ryan's and hope for the best for him.

MChambers
07-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I thought coming in that RK was touted as a rather tall outside player with good shooting and great passing skills. The passing was there during his limited play last year, but the shooting was not; unorthodox, flat shot with erratic results.

Now most people are saying he will be a 4, possibly a 5, this year. What are his inside strengths and weaknesses? I'm not sure there's much evidence to indicate how successful he will be, although I really hope he will because I'm a big fan of Ryan's and hope for the best for him.

When people say Ryan will be a 4 or 5, they're talking about defensive assignments more than offense. On offense, he'll be using his perimeter skills a lot, shooting from outside, passing, etc. He may do some low post scoring, mind you, but I think he'll operate outside more than inside.

on defense, the hope is that he is strong enough to supply solid low post defense and rebounding.

Think Danny Ferry (not saying he'll be as good, of course).

buddy
07-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Think Danny Ferry (not saying he'll be as good, of course).[/QUOTE]

I think you are right. RK showed he has good basketball instincts last year, but was not up to the bumping and grinding that occurs inside. With his size, he will have to be able to guard post players. If he can do that, he can wreak real havoc on offense, because he does have a perimeter game. With all this discussion of minutes, RK has the opportunity to make a significant impact, and bring an intriguing perspective to the line-up.

Big Pappa
07-01-2010, 11:47 PM
When people say Ryan will be a 4 or 5, they're talking about defensive assignments more than offense. On offense, he'll be using his perimeter skills a lot, shooting from outside, passing, etc. He may do some low post scoring, mind you, but I think he'll operate outside more than inside.

This is mostly a good assesment IMO, but I don't see him playing much at the 5 at all. I would assume it will most always be one Plumlee. I obviously think he will spend most of his time at the 4, but actually see Ryan playing the 3 before he plays the 5, even with extra weight.

gep
07-01-2010, 11:56 PM
... even with extra weight.

I hope the new/extra weight doesn't hamper his development/play. If I recall correctly, Shav put on some extra weight while at Duke, and while it wasn't apparent immediately, it may have affected him, at least a bit. When he went to the NBA, he trimmed down, and started playing better(?).

DevilHorns
07-02-2010, 01:21 AM
I hope the new/extra weight doesn't hamper his development/play. If I recall correctly, Shav put on some extra weight while at Duke, and while it wasn't apparent immediately, it may have affected him, at least a bit. When he went to the NBA, he trimmed down, and started playing better(?).

Perhaps true to some extent, but I think Shav was hindered more so by bad circumstance (If I recall correctly he required hip surgery during one off-season and was afflicted with mono during his soph year causing him to miss several games).

_TheFakeJWill_
07-02-2010, 02:17 AM
IMO more muscle is never a bad thing! especially if you under weight as RK is/was.

ThePublisher
07-02-2010, 02:47 AM
I see Kelly as being our backup 4, behind Mason when we are big. He has a similar skill set, although not as athletic. Both can pull the defender out of the lane and make room for someone to drive. Oh lets see Irving, Curry Smith and Singler can drive so that'll be excellent. If he has added as much weight as reported, then he'll be able to bang down low some as well. It seemed that he tried to some last year, but was just bumped out of the way. I think he will be a key reserve for us this year, especially (heaven forbid) if someone gets hurt.

Cockabeau
07-21-2010, 07:39 PM
This kid is going to be special? He has IT. anyone know his wingspan?

Osiagledknarf
07-21-2010, 08:04 PM
We already have a Ryan Kelly thread... Use the search option at the top of the page.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-21-2010, 08:09 PM
We already have a Ryan Kelly thread... Use the search option at the top of the page.

terrible answer boooooooooooo.

but OP random question though?! why does it matter. my 2 cents is that he will be very productive next year and will be a "sixth man" next to Dawkins and Curry (pending if Curry comes off the bench)

Cockabeau
07-21-2010, 09:11 PM

With all due respect, a soft-shelled turtle could go head to head with Kendall and probably win..

DukieInBrasil
07-22-2010, 09:32 AM
my 2 cents is that he will be very productive next year and will be a "sixth man" next to Dawkins and Curry (pending if Curry comes off the bench)
How many 6th men are we gonna have? In all seriousness, all 3 that you mention as 6th men ought to be able to make seriously important contributions, independent of minutes.

With all due respect, a soft-shelled turtle could go head to head with Kendall and probably win..
Hahahahaahaha!!! That was some good stuff. I know we're all Duke fans here, but it's interesting to see how much KM is getting dogged as he becomes more visible in the area. As of now, it seems to be that Ol' Roy may have really screwed ye olde pooch in his recruiting of PGs lately.

DevilHorns
07-23-2010, 10:01 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/dukes-kelly-gaining-strength-confidence

Nice read from the N&O

Memphis Devil
07-24-2010, 12:52 PM
All that talent and only one ball. No doubt but that this appears to be the most talented and complete team since '04, and probably the deepest since '92. It will indeed be a challenge for K to find a way to keep everyone happy with their roles on the team. I'd say there's enough minutes for most of the players, but one or two may not be happy. If K can get the chemistry to work, then I don't see anybody beating them when they play their best.

Keep in mind that an up tempo, fast paced offense will yield an additional 10 - 15 possesions per game which will come in handy when trying to get so much talent integrated into the game.

COYS
07-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Keep in mind that an up tempo, fast paced offense will yield an additional 10 - 15 possesions per game which will come in handy when trying to get so much talent integrated into the game.

It may also necessitate more substitutions to maintain that fast pace. I think there will be plenty of minutes for Kelly next year. No matter where he starts the game, he will be in the top three of the big man rotation.

Bay Area Duke Fan
07-24-2010, 01:41 PM
No matter where he starts the game, he will be in the top three of the big man rotation.

..... unless Hairston proves to be a better player.

DevilDan
07-25-2010, 12:58 AM
I hope our Duke scouts who are watching Ryan play this summer are right ... While we are absolutely LOADED on the perimeter, there are a few question marks re our interior play -- mostly about the evolution of the games of Miles & Mason. Miles is hinting that he wants to be "the man" at the "5". Kyle will be one forward, and a healthy competition between Mason and Ryan for the other starting forward can only be great news. Coach K will get thorough looks at both in our November games -- especially in our new uptempo offense. Josh could also be a factor, as he picks up the Duke system.

Right now I'd be happy with a rotation of Miles/Mason/Ryan, and .... say 25 pts / 18 boards among the three -- with a little Josh thrown in, for spite ! Man, I cannot wait to see what is shaping up to be a JUGGERNAUT TEAM ... !

hq2
07-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Kyle will be one forward, and a healthy competition between Mason and Ryan for the other starting forward can only be great news.

I think Andre will be in the mix at small forward if his defense improves, and may even start on occasion. Or, they'll put him in with the other guards and play a 3 guard offense, maybe run a double low post set with Plumlees and RK. However, look for him to get significant frontline minutes, especially if both Plumlees play together.

Big Pappa
07-25-2010, 10:06 AM
my 2 cents is that he will be very productive next year and will be a "sixth man" next to Dawkins and Curry (pending if Curry comes off the bench)

You can't have three "sixth men". That being said, I think Ryan will be in a nine-man rotation and prove to be a very solid player this year - and for two more years.