PDA

View Full Version : Coach K's Summer

Duke of Nashville
06-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Nice article about Coach K's summer, how he continues to work hard and get better as a coach, Tom Izzo asking for advice, 2011 Seniors, Kyrie Irving, and USA Basketball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5337426

Forgive me if this has been posted somewhere but I did not see it.

BattierD12
06-28-2010, 05:59 PM
"He said Singler and Smith will be among the roughly 20 college players who will head to Las Vegas to compete for a roster spot on the U.S. team."

Even with most of the top NBA stars skipping out this summer, it'll still be tough for these guys to crack the lineup, but still, what a great experience for them.

MChambers
06-28-2010, 08:00 PM
"I'm a basketball coach all the time. That's what I do. I don't play golf. I chase my dog, or he chases me, and I whack down some trees and bushes and play with my grandkids and drink a little bit of wine," a smiling Krzyzewski said. "I like to socialize, but I'm a basketball coach every day of my life."

Which coaches play golf?

Newton_14
06-28-2010, 11:07 PM
"I'm a basketball coach all the time. That's what I do. I don't play golf. I chase my dog, or he chases me, and I whack down some trees and bushes and play with my grandkids and drink a little bit of wine," a smiling Krzyzewski said. "I like to socialize, but I'm a basketball coach every day of my life."

Which coaches play golf?

I thought about that when I read it as well, but in fairness, I have heard him make that comment before. Last year in an interview where he was being "interrogated" about the time committment with Team USA, he stated that he did not have any hobbies, like playing golf for example, so he was always either being a family man or a basketball coach. I think he gave up on tennis and raquetball which he used to play once the hips were replaced.

So, with knowledge of his words in past interviews, I would be inclined to vote that this was not a dig at the local golfer. Just my two cents..

gep
06-29-2010, 12:16 AM
So, with knowledge of his words in past interviews, I would be inclined to vote that this was not a dig at the local golfer. Just my two cents..

I agree... but it's fun just to think about :D

But, if not golf, what about this...

"Last year's team was a team that, whatever you gave it, they gave back to you," Krzyzewski said. "So it wasn't an energy drain, like, 'Man, these guys don't get it.' They got it. ... We worked very hard, but there wasn't what I call couch time or motivational time. Our veterans took care of a lot of those things, either by talking or by setting an example.

... another dig?:rolleyes:

Indoor66
06-29-2010, 07:59 AM
I agree... but it's fun just to think about :D

But, if not golf, what about this...

"Last year's team was a team that, whatever you gave it, they gave back to you," Krzyzewski said. "So it wasn't an energy drain, like, 'Man, these guys don't get it.' They got it. ... We worked very hard, but there wasn't what I call couch time or motivational time. Our veterans took care of a lot of those things, either by talking or by setting an example.

... another dig?:rolleyes:

Something about "doth protest too much" pops into my head when I read posts like this. I seriously doubt that K is obsessive about the Mountain Man -- in contrast to the posters on this board (me included). I think, in most instances, his words mean only what he says. Only occasionally is he jabbing a needle. Let's nor parse every word to seek deeper meaning. Many, if not most, of us say what we mean.

Ima Facultiwyfe
06-29-2010, 08:12 AM
The comment that stood out to me was the one about having to get better at coaching every year because things keep changing.. Sounded quite the opposite to a familiar coach around here who claims he's been doing it the same way for years and it's always worked before.:rolleyes:
Love, Ima

CrazieDUMB
06-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Something about "doth protest too much" pops into my head when I read posts like this. I seriously doubt that K is obsessive about the Mountain Man -- in contrast to the posters on this board (me included). I think, in most instances, his words mean only what he says. Only occasionally is he jabbing a needle. Let's nor parse every word to seek deeper meaning. Many, if not most, of us say what we mean.

Agreed. I guarantee we on this board care about UNC about 100 times as much as K does. Why would he even be interested in talking about that school? Even if he did care, everyone already acknowledges that we "took the upper hand" with a NC.

MChambers
06-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Agreed. I guarantee we on this board care about UNC about 100 times as much as K does. Why would he even be interested in talking about that school? Even if he did care, everyone already acknowledges that we "took the upper hand" with a NC.

My tongue was mostly in my cheek, but I did find some of what coach K said to be in stark contrast to what Ol Roy usually says, so I had to post. But I have no doubt that coach K isn't particularly worried about what ol Roy is doing and wasn't trying to poke fun.

-jk
06-29-2010, 09:49 AM
These quotes become a DBR Rorschach test: we read into them what we want, keeping all our preconceived notions safe.

And perhaps they also say as much about those who offer to explain them as they say about the people who once said them. :cool:

-jk

Lord Ash
06-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I echo the above sentiment... K does not really care all that much about Williams, and certainly not enough to litter his press conference with jabs.

I DID think it was interesting that he mentioned Kyle playing inside! I am not sure if he had said that before, but a lot of people were wondering how Kyle would play the 3 with SO much guard talent... seems he might do some time at the 4, which I think is good for the team overall.

MChambers
06-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I echo the above sentiment... K does not really care all that much about Williams, and certainly not enough to litter his press conference with jabs.

I DID think it was interesting that he mentioned Kyle playing inside! I am not sure if he had said that before, but a lot of people were wondering how Kyle would play the 3 with SO much guard talent... seems he might do some time at the 4, which I think is good for the team overall.

I didn't interpret his statement to mean that Kyle would be at the 4, just that he would post up. If Kyle's posting up, it means he has a player he can score on down low. It would be easier to do that against most 3s than a 4.

Olympic Fan
06-29-2010, 04:02 PM
"He said Singler and Smith will be among the roughly 20 college players who will head to Las Vegas to compete for a roster spot on the U.S. team."

Even with most of the top NBA stars skipping out this summer, it'll still be tough for these guys to crack the lineup, but still, what a great experience for them.

I think the author of the article misunderstood ... the 20 college players are going to Vegas both to provide practice fodder for the pros that will make up the US World Cup team and to get a taste of USA Basketball for the coming years, when they WILL be competitors for the team.

There will not be any college players on the 2010 World Championship team.