PDA

View Full Version : Devils and the 2011 Draft

rotogod00
06-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Chad Ford just released his Top 100 for the 2011 Draft. Dukies on the list include:

4. Irving (#1 PG)
11. MP2
27. Singler
44. Smith

1, 2, 3 by the way are Barnes, Perry Jones (Baylor), and Jan Vesely (Czech Rep.)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/results/top100/_/year/2011

Big Pappa
06-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Chad Ford just released his Top 100 for the 2011 Draft. Dukies on the list include:

4. Irving (#1 PG)
11. MP2
27. Singler
44. Smith

1, 2, 3 by the way are Barnes, Perry Jones (Baylor), and Jan Vesely (Czech Rep.)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/results/top100/_/year/2011

Thanks for the link. Interesting to see Pullen and Dunn so low - 92 and 95 respectively.

muzikfrk75
06-25-2010, 11:21 PM
On Barnes' profile under Player Evaluation one of his negatives is 'doesn't have a killer instinct'....ruh roh...lol

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/results/players/_/id/19461/harrison-barnes

licc85
06-26-2010, 02:48 AM
that list is full of crap. There's no way that 3 UK freshmen go in the lottery.

MisterRoddy
06-26-2010, 02:58 AM

Actually, Brandon Knight, Terrence Jones, and Enes Kanter all have very good chances at making the lottery next year.

Big Pappa
06-26-2010, 11:02 AM

Actually, Brandon Knight, Terrence Jones, and Enes Kanter all have very good chances at making the lottery next year.

He is right, if these three don't make it into the lottery it would be a surprise.

Jderf
06-26-2010, 11:07 AM
He is right, if these three don't make it into the lottery it would be a surprise.

But that doesn't seem to square with the general perception around here that next year's class is not as good as last year's. Will they all go in the lottery only because of this year's mass exodus of underclassmen talent? I don't have my own opinion yet so I'm just asking.

COYS
06-26-2010, 11:08 AM

I think it would be less of a surprise than this past year, though. Knight is a talent, to be sure. But he is not as physically overwhelming as Wall and will have to demonstrate that he can distribute the ball well enough to be a true point guard in the NBA. Jones has a good chance because GM's always like athletic bigs, even as projects. If Kanter can show off the polished offensive game he showed in some of the All Star games, he goes high. If not, people will question his athleticism. At the very least, though, Knight < Wall; Jones < Cousins although I'll concede that Kanter is almost certainly > Orton. Knight's draft status may also depend on how well Kyrie and Josh Selby play and whether or not they declare. Knight could very well be viewed as the third best point guard prospect if both Irving and Selby enter the draft. That might be enough to push him out of the lottery.

jjh1080
06-26-2010, 12:38 PM
I hope all the talk is about them going in the lottery. Cali has shown that his players think of only one thing, making the NBA.

I want UK players to be focused on making the pros. Talk them up and up and up. No final four and a rebuilding year again. It won't be long before the UK fans tar and feather that slimy coach.

So talk these guys up, it won't take much, they already choose a slimy coach to play for. You know where their minds are, it won't take much to push them over the edge.

"None and done"

cspan37421
06-26-2010, 12:45 PM
I hope all the talk is about them going in the lottery. Cali has shown that his players think of only one thing, making the NBA.

Yep, clearly that's better than winning a national championship. So are they closer to being an AAU team or an NBADL team?

Good names? Could we call them the Lexington Layovers?

Cockabeau
06-26-2010, 01:06 PM
I have a feeling that if we get Marshall, MP2 may stick around another year. There family is tight like that.I think Kyle and Nolan will be first round picks.

Cockabeau
06-26-2010, 01:11 PM

Kanter will. Knight is an overrated small scoring guard.When I saw him play I didn't see any explosion of the dribble you expect to see in an elite guard...He is not much better than Avery Bradley who dropped to 19. Terrance Jones is good player but I am not sure he is good enough to be a lotto pick.

Olympic Fan
06-26-2010, 02:12 PM
But that doesn't seem to square with the general perception around here that next year's class is not as good as last year's. Will they all go in the lottery only because of this year's mass exodus of underclassmen talent? I don't have my own opinion yet so I'm just asking.

Every year is relative and the early perception is that every warm body came out this year to avoid the potential lockout that could prevent the draft next summer. I know they say this a lot and new players always come along, but it's likely to be a MUCH weaker draft class next year ... strengthened only by a slighter better foreign contingent.

I am one of those who thinks that this year's trio of Kentucky freshmen is not quite as good as last year's. I like Brandon Knight, but no way he goes close to as high as Wall did. Kanter is a polished big man with three years of professional experience in Turkey (again, how Calipari got around that is baffling), but he's no where near the physical talent of Cousins. Jones might be as good as Bledsoe.

Doren Lamb, the No. 4 Kentucky recruit, will be a better college player than Orton, but I'll be shocked if he's a first-round pick next season. In terms of rating and physical skills, he's similar to Nolan coming out of Oak Hill. That's not bad ... but it's not a prescription for a one-and-done player either.

But the other three COULD be lottery picks in 2011.

As for Duke, take a minute and reflect how lucky we are -- we win a national title and all three of our potential draftees (yeah, Mason would have been picked) elect to return?

That's not going to happen very often and we should cherish it.

If Duke repeats next year, we could see a mass exodus. I'd like to think the Kyrie would come back to play with his buddy Austin Rivers. And I'd like to think Mason would want to play one more year with Miles and maybe a year with his youngest brother.

But don't kid yourself -- a year from now we could easily be talking about four Duke players being picked (Sports Illustrated projects all four in the first round).

dchen09
06-26-2010, 02:40 PM
But don't kid yourself -- a year from now we could easily be talking about four Duke players being picked (Sports Illustrated projects all four in the first round).

Possibly 5. Don't forget, Seth Curry could very turn out to be every bit the player his brother is. Combine with the fact that he would be a junior and he originally transferred to get to the NBA and its easy to see how he could leave next year as well.

FireOgilvie
06-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Yep, clearly that's better than winning a national championship. So are they closer to being an AAU team or an NBADL team?

Good names? Could we call them the Lexington Layovers?

Haha nice. I like that.

MisterRoddy
06-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Kanter will. Knight is an overrated small scoring guard.When I saw him play I didn't see any explosion of the dribble you expect to see in an elite guard...He is not much better than Avery Bradley who dropped to 19. Terrance Jones is good player but I am not sure he is good enough to be a lotto pick.

No doubt that he should've performed on the big stage at the all-star games, but if you had seen that game against Austin Rivers and Winter Park where he scored around 48, you would know not to sleep on him. Knight has an excellent mid-range game to go along with a deadly jump shot. Also, he isn't undersized at all, he's 6'3 and very strong. If he produces next year for Kentucky, like I expect him to, I would be very surprised if he doesn't go in the lottery. Good point guards are hard to find in the NBA nowadays.

Duvall
06-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Possibly 5. Don't forget, Seth Curry could very turn out to be every bit the player his brother is. Combine with the fact that he would be a junior and he originally transferred to get to the NBA and its easy to see how he could leave next year as well.

Possible, but pretty unlikely. Stephen's freshman stats weren't a little better than Seth's, they were a *lot* better. Stephen didn't leave until after he had played three seasons of college ball, and I would be very surprised if Seth left any sooner than that.

DukieBoy
06-27-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm perfectly fine with Cal having players leave after 1 year. Plus, he had 5 first rounders this year and couldn't get out of the Elite Eight. I'm no longer worried about him until he proves he can win big games.

Olympic Fan
06-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Possible, but pretty unlikely. Stephen's freshman stats weren't a little better than Seth's, they were a *lot* better.

A "lot" better?

As a freshman at Davidson, Stephen average 30.9 minutes and 21.5 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.8 assists a game.

As a freshman at Liberty, Seth averaged 36.5 minutes and 20.2 poionts, 4.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists a game.

Stephen shot better -- 46.9 FG; 40.8 3PT; .855 FT

Seth was 41.9; 34.7; .822.

You guys can decide for yourself whether that constitutes a little better or a "lot" better.

Big Pappa
06-27-2010, 11:23 AM

That is part of it. Knight is also a very talented player. He is not small at all (as some have mentioned in this thread), he is 6'3" 185 and a powerful athlete. He is extremely fast end to end (a little less so than Wall) and has great hops to go with a very good jump shot (much better than Wall's). He could end up being a top 5 pick depending on who declares, but even if everyone and their dog declared like this year I don't see him falling out of the lottery barring something extreme happening (i.e. injury, trouble off the court, UK losing all rights to play basketball). Ok, the last one is a possibility.

rotogod00
06-27-2010, 12:07 PM
A "lot" better?

As a freshman at Davidson, Stephen average 30.9 minutes and 21.5 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.8 assists a game.

As a freshman at Liberty, Seth averaged 36.5 minutes and 20.2 poionts, 4.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists a game.

Stephen shot better -- 46.9 FG; 40.8 3PT; .855 FT

Seth was 41.9; 34.7; .822.

You guys can decide for yourself whether that constitutes a little better or a "lot" better.

more than a point more in almost 6 less minutes; shooting percentages significantly higher across the board. yeah, that's A LOT better.

rotogod00
06-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Andy Katz's take on the Devils draft prospects next year:

Kyrie Irving, Duke: Irving is already being hyped as an impact freshman. If he delivers and the Blue Devils get the point guard that could change their team, he will be considered a one-and-done. Irving has the chance to show early how much he can lead. The coaches from USA Basketball already are touting how much he'll impact the Blue Devils.

Mason Plumlee, Duke: Plumlee has been touted as a big-time player since he arrived at Duke. Now that Brian Zoubek is gone, Mason will have to take on a much more assertive role. The frontcourt is his to dominate.

Kyle Singler, Duke: Singler got the better of Butler's Gordon Hayward in the national title game, but Hayward would have dwarfed Singler on the 2010 draft board. But in 2011, Singler could be the national player of the year and a two-time national champ. He made the right move to wait.

Nolan Smith, Duke: Smith has emerged as a first-round talent. He makes shots at the right times, especially at the end of the shot clock. Smith has matured into a pro. Expect him to be a first-round pick and possible two-time champ in a year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=5327628

Jderf
06-27-2010, 12:26 PM
more than a point more in almost 6 less minutes; shooting percentages significantly higher across the board. yeah, that's A LOT better.

But wasn't Davidson also a better team that year? Stephen was playing off the ball (only had to worry about scoring), had three other double-digit scorers on his team, and had a very good point guard (7+ apg) feeding him the rock. On the other hand, Seth's freshman team at liberty had only an okay point guard and no post players over 6-6 to draw focus to the interior, and in a way resembled our team this year in that it only had three consistent scorers (though they were no where near as good as our three). While these differences might be minor, it is enough to make me think that the 1 ppg difference and shooting % difference might not be significant enough to draw any conclusions from. In any case, they both had stellar freshman years.

rotogod00
06-27-2010, 12:38 PM
But wasn't Davidson also a better team that year? Stephen was playing off the ball (only had to worry about scoring), had three other double-digit scorers on his team, and had a very good point guard (7+ apg) feeding him the rock. On the other hand, Seth's freshman team at liberty had only an okay point guard and no post players over 6-6 to draw focus to the interior, and in a way resembled our team this year in that it only had three consistent scorers (though they were no where near as good as our three). While these differences might be minor, it is enough to make me think that the 1 ppg difference and shooting % difference might not be significant enough to draw any conclusions from. In any case, they both had stellar freshman years.

definitely....wasn't implying that seth didn't have a great freshman year. only that stephen's was better. and also agree that you can't draw many (if any) conclusions on their abilities moving forward.

Daniel tosh
06-27-2010, 02:02 PM
That is part of it. Knight is also a very talented player. He is not small at all (as some have mentioned in this thread), he is 6'3" 185 and a powerful athlete. He is extremely fast end to end (a little less so than Wall) and has great hops to go with a very good jump shot (much better than Wall's). He could end up being a top 5 pick depending on who declares, but even if everyone and their dog declared like this year I don't see him falling out of the lottery barring something extreme happening (i.e. injury, trouble off the court, UK losing all rights to play basketball). Ok, the last one is a possibility.

Knight reminds me of Willie Warren,same type of scorer,about the same height,same style of play.

ChicagoCrazy84
06-28-2010, 12:20 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=5327628

Andy Katz looking ahead to 2011 and the top prospects the NBA will be looking at. Of course, the 4 Dukies that are on the board are no surprise.

Nolan Smith
Kyle Singler
Kyrie Irving
Mason Plumlee

He had a nice write up on Nolan Smith saying he is pretty much a lock for the 1st round next year. We all know Kyle will be late lottery-mid first and Kyrie would be lottery, how about Mason? Katz doesnt specify where Mason would go if he were to take a step forward this year, but if he ends up averaging a double double, 1st round status seems imminent IMO. Any other thoughts not just on Dukies?

ChicagoCrazy84
06-28-2010, 12:45 AM
I started the exact same thread a minute ago ot seeing this one :o
So, I figured I would just continue on this one and the Mods will take care of my other one that I created.

So, its funny, I have seen a couple of different opinions on Brandon Knight and his prospective freshman year and beyond. I have heard that he could become a Jrue Holiday type player who has all the hype and ends up struggling to find his rhythm, but I don't see that in Cal's system. We all know that Knight is no John Wall and honestly, when people say this year's class at UK is not as good as last year's, they are talking about Wall-Knight IMO. Kanter could become a Cousins type player and dominate. Last year's class also did not have a Terrence Jones type player, but I digress. So, I don't know what to think of Brandon Knight. I do know that Irving (if in the draft) would be selected over BK because Irving doesn't have leadership/PG question marks.

Also, I think Mason Plumlee will leave after this year if he puts up double-double numbers. Scouts love this guy and are waiting for him to break out of his shell before they pounce on him like a tiger chasing a zebra. :D

Bob Green
06-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Also, I think Mason Plumlee will leave after this year if he puts up double-double numbers. Scouts love this guy and are waiting for him to break out of his shell before they pounce on him like a tiger chasing a zebra. :D

It will be very difficult for Mason Plumlee to average double-double numbers on a team with proven scorers such as Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith, and potential stars such as Seth Curry and Kyrie Irving not to mention Andre Dawkins. I just do not believe either Mason or Miles will average a double-double. I could see them both being 8 point and 8 rebound type players if they are able to avoid foul trouble and average 20-25 minutes per game. Mason really needs to improve his free throw percentage as he only went .543 (25 of 46) from the charity stripe last season (his broken wrist probably affected his stroke).

rotogod00
06-28-2010, 08:50 AM
I started the exact same thread a minute ago ot seeing this one :o
So, I figured I would just continue on this one and the Mods will take care of my other one that I created.

So, its funny, I have seen a couple of different opinions on Brandon Knight and his prospective freshman year and beyond. I have heard that he could become a Jrue Holiday type player who has all the hype and ends up struggling to find his rhythm, but I don't see that in Cal's system. We all know that Knight is no John Wall and honestly, when people say this year's class at UK is not as good as last year's, they are talking about Wall-Knight IMO. Kanter could become a Cousins type player and dominate. Last year's class also did not have a Terrence Jones type player, but I digress. So, I don't know what to think of Brandon Knight. I do know that Irving (if in the draft) would be selected over BK because Irving doesn't have leadership/PG question marks.

MP2 doesn't need to average a double-double to be a lottery pick next year. Think our greatest leverage to keep him around is his younger brother. If he signs, I think he stays. If not, probably gone (imo).