PDA

View Full Version : Maryland's Debbie Yow to N.C. State

DukeUsul
06-24-2010, 10:04 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu/story/7850986/

moonpie23
06-24-2010, 10:16 PM
wow.....that's .......umm great? i guess?

Verga3
06-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Wow....GREAT decision for NC State!!

Newton_14
06-24-2010, 11:13 PM
That is a polarizing choice. The State family is going to be split over this pick.
I hope it works out and she does a great job. But wow, risky pick imo.

CameronBornAndBred
06-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Big humongous ginormous giant fat WOW. (And a good choice IMO)

Olympic Fan
06-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Let's review -- if you go to the Maryland boards, they are almost unanimously ecstatic to see State steal Yow ... if you visit the State boards, they are in meltdown mode.

This goes beyond Yow's competence. When you examine her record, she's done a very good job overall ... unfortunately, her two biggest problems/issues have been her handling of men's basketball (she and Gary have clashed big time) and football (she overpaid Fridgen after three good years and got locked into a financial deal that has forced her to stick with him even though he's run the program into the ground; beyond that, she committed to a stifling "coach in waiting" deal with a guy who wasn't exactly Jimbo Fisher).

But let's say she's an upgrade over Lee Fowler (nicknamed Lee Fowlup by many State fans).

It's obvious that the hire fails to do the one thing it should have -- unite and encourage the badly splintered State fan base. I'm sure plenty of State fans will support Yow, but many have already thrown her under the bus.

There's one other potential problem and it has to do with the behind-the-scenes machinations of the new Chancellor at State.

The school paid a search committee $75,000 to find it a new AD. The commitee eventually delivered six names -- and Yow wasn't one of them.

That much is definite. The rest is speculative, based on what I'm hearding from disgruntled State fans.

There are reports that Yow was hired BEFORE the six official candidates were interviewed and that their interviews were shams. Of course, this only matters to the six interviewees -- but one of them is Bobby Purcell, who has been State's top athletic fund-raiser for something like 20-plus years. He's VERY popular with the fan base (he was probably the popular choice for the job). He was a finalist when Fowler was hired and now.

Some who claim to be close to Purcell are suggesting that he's very bitter and fells that he was treated unfairly. I don't know, but if he does in fact resign over this, Yow would have some major fence-mending to do.

Not sure how I would grade this hire.

diablesseblu
06-25-2010, 12:40 PM
I can just imagine how devisive this will be among the State faithful. (I sometimes wonder though if they are a fan base that will ever be united.)

Have never been a Debbie Yow fan (loved Kay though)......but she may be just what that athletic program needs. State clearly has been abysmal in the Director's Cup and she has had great success with her nonrevenue programs at MD.

If the school wants to compete with Duke, UNC and WF on the overall quality of its sports programs, they need a major overhaul there.

Maybe they thought that Purcell was too much a "good ol' guy" to do the dirty work that needs to be done?

Will be fascinated to see who MD hires as AD. Maybe her replacement will address the Comcast Center behavior? Ah.......a Devil can dream.

gw67
06-25-2010, 02:06 PM
I note that John Feinstein has an article on Yow that is far from complimentary (see link below).

http://www.feinsteinonthebrink.com/index.php?id=2493004728911411645

One of my golfing buddies is a member of the Maryland boosters and has had many dealings with her over the years. Early on, he was complimentary of her actions to get the athletic budget in order. In recent years, however, I have not heard him say a kind word about her. Apparently, she got rid of a number of staffers in the Athletic Dept. during her tenure and was not professional in getting it done. According to my friend the replacements have not been of the same quality and are seen as yes men/women. On a personnel level, she is seen as inflexible, vindictive, a micro manager and unable to take any criticism. My golfing buddy did not trust her to make good choices for coaching replacements of the major men's sports.

With all the above, Yow may still turn out to be a good choice for State. It takes all kinds in this world and she may be able to help improve State in the minor sports. What happens when she needs to replace, say Lowe? That will be interesting.

gw67

Duvall
06-25-2010, 02:10 PM
I note that John Feinstein has an article on Yow that is far from complimentary (see link below).

http://www.feinsteinonthebrink.com/index.php?id=2493004728911411645

It's hard to take the thoughts of an unabashed Gary Williams fanboy like Feinstein seriously on this subject.

Still, there's really no excuse for the way Yow has managed Maryland's football coaching situation. State could have done better.

gw67
06-25-2010, 02:21 PM
It's hard to take the thoughts of an unabashed Gary Williams fanboy like Feinstein seriously on this subject.

Still, there's really no excuse for the way Yow has managed Maryland's football coaching situation. State could have done better.

I understand your point of view and agree that Feinstein likes Williams a whole bunch more than he likes Tiger Woods but the two paragraphs in the article dealing Williams were pretty much spot on as far as I know and I didn't have a dog in that battle. That's why I included another's point of view.

gw67

Devilsfan
06-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Since state believes the the other state college in chapel hill is their main rival maybe she will bring the famous maryland student body chants heard nation wide on espn directed at JJ and last year Jon. She being the head of the athletic department had to be responsible for actions repeated year after year by her "student" body.

-bdbd
06-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Let's review -- if you go to the Maryland boards, they are almost unanimously ecstatic to see State steal Yow ... if you visit the State boards, they are in meltdown mode.

This goes beyond Yow's competence. When you examine her record, she's done a very good job overall ... unfortunately, her two biggest problems/issues have been her handling of men's basketball (she and Gary have clashed big time) and football (she overpaid Fridgen after three good years and got locked into a financial deal that has forced her to stick with him even though he's run the program into the ground; beyond that, she committed to a stifling "coach in waiting" deal with a guy who wasn't exactly Jimbo Fisher). ...But let's say she's an upgrade over Lee Fowler (nicknamed Lee Fowlup by many State fans).

It's obvious that the hire fails to do the one thing it should have -- unite and encourage the badly splintered State fan base. I'm sure plenty of State fans will support Yow, but many have already thrown her under the bus.

I'm going to respond to the first half of Olympic's post, as I think the rumors over the hiring process will die down quickly now that it is feit accompli. At a minimum it is a credible, reasonable and defensible decision based on her NCSU/family connections and ACC AD experience at a similar school. BTW, any opinions on whether this is a step up or down for her?

I'm based in the DC area. About three years ago I'd have said the Terp fanbase was leaning her way over the Gary Williams tiff, and happy with her re-upping with Ralph Fridgen (mostly b/c Fridge was winning and Gary essentially was not -- MANY Terp fans wanted him gone ASAP). Today the pendulum has swung the other way. Looking at a couple local publications last night "breaking" the story of her imminent departure, fan/reader comments were about 10:1 ecstatic. People are now siding with Gary, who's had a couple decent/good years and against her earlier support of Fridge (who's doing poorly of late). (Aren't fans fickle?? Makes you glad for what we've got!!)

Interestingly, there are reports from "multiple sources within the Diamondback Club" that 2 years ago Yow was out soliciting funds from wealthy contributors to buy out Gary's contract, but was unsuccessful, and the same occured last year with Fridge (low expectations for football this year).

While I'm sure it mostly comes down to winning, I saw lots of complaints about her emphasizing womeen's sports over revenue/men's sports, and about her penny-pinching ways. Yow was the first to actively work to balance MD's athletic budget, which apparently had been badly mismanaged before her arrival.

Lastly, there are many Terp fan comments wondering "why would anyone ever want to leave MD to go THERE?" So, while generally happy to see her gone - the MD-alum AD at UCONN tops the list of replacement candidates - they find it "puzzling" on her part. Maybe a case of getting out of Dodge before the new sheriff (President?) arrives? Or so they say. But it did make me chuckle re how fan bases see themselves... (or don't!)

Personally, I think she's a safe, solid choice for State, and certaoinly NOT a bad pick-up. State needs some competence and confidence. Time will tell.

:D:rolleyes::cool:

bill brill
06-25-2010, 03:42 PM
let it be said that I like debbie yow and have always had a good relationship with her. that said, before state gets too excited, the vast majority of maryland's ncaa titles have been in lacrosse and field hockey, sports they don't have at maryland. she did hire brenda freise, who won an ncaa title at duke's expense, and who makes more money than sidney lowe. she doesn't any credit for men's basketball, because gary was already there, and they didn't get along. I think the dumbest thing is the coach in waiting in football. the fridge, after all, isn't bobby bowden. and what has franklin ever done to be in that position? debbie is tuff and a good money manager. but we'll see if this is major step up over fowler, who actually didn't make bad hires. I'm not at all convinced state can be great in anything.

4decadedukie
06-26-2010, 08:50 AM
As twice reported on DBR's front page, Debbie Yow is leaving Maryland to become State's Athletic Director. Living in Fairfax County and enduring the standard DC-area extolling of Maryland and loathing of Duke, it is difficult for me to be objective regarding the Terps. However, even basic fairness compels me to agree that UMd athletics -- in general -- have faired well during her stewardship. With that said, her egregious complicity with the outrageous conduct of many Maryland fans, boosters and alums alone renders her aggregate performance unsatisfactory (in my opinion). The loutishness, the incivility and the criminality that she has tacitly condoned for years documents a clear lack of integrity and leadership. The fact is Yow, Williams and senior UMd leaders have repeatedly permitted dangerous and felonious behavior -- not to mention, flagrantly unsportsmanlike conduct -- in order to intensify fan enthusiasm and to increase basketball victories (which then enhance revenues and visibility).

Many individuals criticize Duke and the Cameron Crazies for our comportment, although our conduct clearly remains within the traditions of civilized, passionate fans. Coach K (not to mention Dr. White and other Duke leaders) would NEVER countenance or permit fan-related behavior (rioting, arson, assaulting opposing player’s family members, gross vulgarities, and so forth) that not only is sometimes illegal, but that also would most adversely reflects on the University’s standards. It is highly significant that Coach K’s family does not attend games at UMd’s Comcast Center -- and ONLY in College Park -- due to outrageous and dangerous fan conduct.

As the University of Maryland’s Athletic Director, Ms. Yow is at least partially accountable for this atrocious, substantiated, multi-year record of “worst in class” fan boorishness and lawlessness.

kinsman_bob
06-26-2010, 09:44 PM
As twice reported on DBR's front page, Debbie Yow is leaving Maryland to become State's Athletic Director. Living in Fairfax County and enduring the standard DC-area extolling of Maryland and loathing of Duke, it is difficult for me to be objective regarding the Terps. However, even basic fairness compels me to agree that UMd athletics -- in general -- have faired well during her stewardship. With that said, her egregious complicity with the outrageous conduct of many Maryland fans, boosters and alums alone renders her aggregate performance unsatisfactory (in my opinion). The loutishness, the incivility and the criminality that she has tacitly condoned for years documents a clear lack of integrity and leadership. The fact is Yow, Williams and senior UMd leaders have repeatedly permitted dangerous and felonious behavior -- not to mention, flagrantly unsportsmanlike conduct -- in order to intensify fan enthusiasm and to increase basketball victories (which then enhance revenues and visibility).

Many individuals criticize Duke and the Cameron Crazies for our comportment, although our conduct clearly remains within the traditions of civilized, passionate fans. Coach K (not to mention Dr. White and other Duke leaders) would NEVER countenance or permit fan-related behavior (rioting, arson, assaulting opposing player’s family members, gross vulgarities, and so forth) that not only is sometimes illegal, but that also would most adversely reflects on the University’s standards. It is highly significant that Coach K’s family does not attend games at UMd’s Comcast Center -- and ONLY in College Park -- due to outrageous and dangerous fan conduct.

As the University of Maryland’s Athletic Director, Ms. Yow is at least partially accountable for this atrocious, substantiated, multi-year record of “worst in class” fan boorishness and lawlessness.

I absolutely agree with this post. As someone who lives in MD, in Montgomery County, I would never go to a MD/Duke game of any type at MD, particularly with Duke clothing. I think that Yow/Williams/Ralph bear a lot of responsibility for the crowd behavior. The WaPo doesn't help with their rabid anti-Duke writing, but the MD athletic department needs to step up to the behavior of their fans. Can anyone imagine Coach K letting the Duke students use the F word at Cameron?