PDA

View Full Version : NBA Garage Sale - or Give Away?

BD80
06-24-2010, 04:44 PM
The Bulls give away their #17 pick and Kirk Hinrich to the Wizards (who had cap room so they need not give anything back) just to clear cap room for close to 2 max salaries.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5324240

The Heat do the same thing, giving Daequan Cook and the #18 pick to the Thunder for the #32 pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/13557292/heat-trade-sg-cook-no-18-pick-to-thunder-for-32nd-pick?tag=globalNav.nba;headlines

Talk about moves that could backfire

G man
06-24-2010, 04:52 PM
I know this is all about helping teams land max contracts, but I hate when teams give away talent. Thanks to Memphis this kind of move gave the Lakers 2 extra championships! What ever I am ready for college ball to start again so I can listen to experts talk about that instead of crazy NBA trades.

DukieBoy
06-24-2010, 05:45 PM
I've always wondered since talks of the 2010 summer started about what's going to happen with these teams like Chicago, Miami, NY, or NJ don't get any FA and have 15-20 million in extra cap and awful players.

It's a HUGE risk/reward scenario right now

Duvall
06-24-2010, 06:01 PM
I've always wondered since talks of the 2010 summer started about what's going to happen with these teams like Chicago, Miami, NY, or NJ don't get any FA and have 15-20 million in extra cap and awful players.

It's a HUGE risk/reward scenario right now

I don't think Chicago is going to miss Kirk Hinrich and his $9M/year contract too much.

NovaScotian
06-24-2010, 06:25 PM
I don't think Chicago is going to miss Kirk Hinrich and his $9M/year contract too much.

exactly. especially with how unnecessary he is in their backcourt right now.

MChambers
06-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Why would any team that has Arenas, Wall, and Foye want Hinrich?

JasonEvans
06-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Why would any team that has Arenas, Wall, and Foye want Hinrich?

Because Arenas will never play for them again (just guessing).

I am troubled by the moves to just clear cap space. It seems like a big risk, but when you think about all the impressive free agents who are currently available, I can see it making sense.

--Jason "all this cap space is good for Carlos Boozer ;) " Evans

CrazyNotCrazie
06-24-2010, 10:39 PM
These cap clearing moves (along with drafting players solely for potential rather than exhibited talent) are why I don't actively follow the NBA. Teams routinely overpay players then dump them for nothing. A large majority of trades are driven by the cap, rather than talent. I don't care about luxury taxes, expiring contracts, etc. - I want to know that one player was traded for another player of similar talent.

superdave
06-24-2010, 11:31 PM
The Bulls can now get either LeBron or Wade plus have enough leftover for Bosh.

The Heat can re-sign Wade and get two more max guys (ie LeBron and Bosh). Plus the Heat have a bunch of 2nd round picks who they are not committed to signing.

Unless Cleveland can work out a sign-and-trade to get an all-star big guy (Bosh) after re-signing LeBron....then I dont see LeBron coming back. Cleveland and Miami made the right moves.

The other chip is if someone trades for Chris Paul (NJ or NY?).

After Bosh/Wade/LeBron sign, teams are going to throw waaaay too much $ at Boozer/Stoudamire/J. Johnson. Good players but I dont see any of them being a #1 option on a title contender. I'd keep the powder dry for Carmelo next summer if I were NJ.

DukieBoy
06-24-2010, 11:38 PM
I'd keep the powder dry for Carmelo next summer if I were NJ.

Not gonna work. Melo is really close to signing an extension with Denver

superdave
06-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Not gonna work. Melo is really close to signing an extension with Denver

Carmelo is crazy! He could be the man on the Brooklyn Ballers....

MisterRoddy
06-24-2010, 11:50 PM
The Bulls can now get either LeBron or Wade plus have enough leftover for Bosh.

The Heat can re-sign Wade and get two more max guys (ie LeBron and Bosh). Plus the Heat have a bunch of 2nd round picks who they are not committed to signing.

Unless Cleveland can work out a sign-and-trade to get an all-star big guy (Bosh) after re-signing LeBron....then I dont see LeBron coming back. Cleveland and Miami made the right moves.

The other chip is if someone trades for Chris Paul (NJ or NY?).

After Bosh/Wade/LeBron sign, teams are going to throw waaaay too much $ at Boozer/Stoudamire/J. Johnson. Good players but I dont see any of them being a #1 option on a title contender. I'd keep the powder dry for Carmelo next summer if I were NJ.

Next year, outside of Melo, there really aren't any players worthy of that type of money either, and I would hesitate to say they are better than Boozer, Stoudemire, David Lee, and Joe Johnson. (Guys like Tony Parker, Tayshaun Prince, and Shane Battier.)