PDA

View Full Version : Duke football recruiting thread

watzone
06-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Matt Skura called the staff about two hours ago and gave Duke a verbal - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/06/duke-football-picks-up-a-verbal-from-ol-matt-skura/

David Helton also pulled the trigger. Good job by Cut and Coach Luke with Skura and props for Helton as well.

Bluedog
06-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the report watzone.

Looks like a couple good pickups. Seems that David Helton has been more heavily recruited. The 6'3" inside linebacker with a 3.65 GPA had offers from Ga Tech, Kansas, Syracuse, Air Force, Chattanooga, Memphis, and Middle Tennessee State. Matt Scura, a 2-star recruit according to rivals, also had an offer from Air Force in addition to Duke.

Newton_14
06-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Matt Skura called the staff about two hours ago and gave Duke a verbal - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/06/duke-football-picks-up-a-verbal-from-ol-matt-skura/

David Helton also pulled the trigger. Good job by Cut and Coach Luke with Skura and props for Helton as well.

Thanks Watzone, us "low budget broke posters" appreciate a bone or two every now and then!

Coach Cut continues to reel them in. Building that program 1 "Cinder Block" at a time!:D

Go Duke Football!

pbc2
06-22-2010, 08:45 AM
The Skura commitment comes as a bit of a surprise to me, since he just received the offer over the weekend. Also, Duke is in the final running for a few more 2011 offensive lineman, notably Marc Mustoe, Cody Robinson, and Shane Mertz, all of whom visited campus recently. There are a few other offers out there, but those are the three I'm most familiar with and seem to all have serious interest in Duke. Skura makes the third OL commit, along with Lucas Patrick and Marcus Aprahamian. If the staff can land one or two more out of the outstanding offers, it would make for a very nice OL class.

Don't forget there are also 2 pretty good-looking young offensive lineman on campus this summer in Laken Tomlinson and Takoby Cofield. Matt Luke is doing a great job recruiting and coaching these big guys.

The staff "really wanted" David Helton, so I think they see him as a potential stud LB for the future. Britton Grier, from Charlotte, is another LB commit in the class of 2011.

Blue Devil Nation (http://bit.ly/bNcvP8) is running football articles for free, so you can read up on several of the commits and recruits above.

budwom
06-22-2010, 08:53 AM
The Skura commitment comes as a bit of a surprise to me, since he just received the offer over the weekend. Also, Duke is in the final running for a few more 2011 offensive lineman, notably Marc Mustoe, Cody Robinson, and Shane Mertz, all of whom visited campus recently. There are a few other offers out there, but those are the three I'm most familiar with and seem to all have serious interest in Duke. Skura makes the third OL commit, along with Lucas Patrick and Marcus Aprahamian. If the staff can land one or two more out of the outstanding offers, it would make for a very nice OL class.

Don't forget there are also 2 pretty good-looking young offensive lineman on campus this summer in Laken Tomlinson and Takoby Cofield. Matt Luke is doing a great job recruiting and coaching these big guys.

The staff "really wanted" David Helton, so I think they see him as a potential stud LB for the future. Britton Grier, from Charlotte, is another LB commit in the class of 2011.

Blue Devil Nation (http://bit.ly/bNcvP8) is running football articles for free, so you can read up on several of the commits and recruits above.

At quick glance the Skura commitment isn't that impressive, given his limited (so far) offer sheet. But evidently he performed extremely well at the Duke camp and has good size, 6-3, 274, so it sounds like a good thing. And Helton is a great addition.

Probably the biggest concern right now (in addition to just adding more top quality guys at any position) is to get several really good defensive tackles. We're sorely lacking in that area, and we absolutely need to fix that if we're to continue progressing. The skill positions and OL are looking very good (we redshirted some great prospects last year on the OL) but the defensive front needs help, especially at DT.

CLT Devil
06-22-2010, 09:11 AM
When Cut came to Charlotte on the Duke Athletics Tour he called Coach Luke "one of the best there is." Seems like he was on to something. Keep it up Cut!!!

budwom
06-22-2010, 10:38 AM
By all accounts Coach Luke is a good one, though this is the year (especially with a young, if highly talented starting QB) we need to see some results running the ball. Our running game was been abysmal. HOpefully some of Luke's charges will start opening holes for our improving group of running backs.

formerdukeathlete
06-24-2010, 12:01 PM
At quick glance the Skura commitment isn't that impressive, given his limited (so far) offer sheet. But evidently he performed extremely well at the Duke camp and has good size, 6-3, 274, so it sounds like a good thing. And Helton is a great addition.

Probably the biggest concern right now (in addition to just adding more top quality guys at any position) is to get several really good defensive tackles. We're sorely lacking in that area, and we absolutely need to fix that if we're to continue progressing. The skill positions and OL are looking very good (we redshirted some great prospects last year on the OL) but the defensive front needs help, especially at DT.

We seem to be more fluid and flexible in our approach this year. If we want a DT, but a 4 star DE from TX wants to come, over UT and many offers, because they are an excellent student, we need to happily offer. This is how we at Duke can build a team with elite level football talent. In the 2010 class process we fixated on a few DTs regionally and did not land who we wanted.

These two recruits suggest we are recruiting more effectively for the2011 class.

oldnavy
06-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks Watzone, us "low budget broke posters" appreciate a bone or two every now and then!

Coach Cut continues to reel them in. Building that program 1 "Cinder Block" at a time!:D

Go Duke Football!

Did someone say cinder block?? ;)

Indoor66
06-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Did someone say cinder block?? ;)

The cinder block is very adaptable. It can be used for weight as well as length.... :p

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-24-2010, 08:08 PM
The cinder block is very adaptable. It can be used for weight as well as length.... :p

It's also a common material used in building foundations.

Indoor66
06-24-2010, 09:36 PM
It's also a common material used in building foundations.

Yeah, but I was known for shooting bricks.

OldPhiKap
06-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Cut's a brick house
He's mighty mighty, lettin' it all hang out.

Oh yeah, he and the staff can bring da noise and bring da funk.

Can't wait to shock Alabama!!!!!

pbc2
06-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Jon Woodruff, a 6'4" 210 pound OLB from Waldorf, MD is the 12th commitment in the class of 2011. Woodruff plays DE in high school, but is projected as a LB in college.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Cut's a brick house
He's mighty mighty, lettin' it all hang out.

Oh yeah, he and the staff can bring da noise and bring da funk.

Can't wait to shock Alabama!!!!!

66 days until the first football game..... 40 days until the pre-season camp begins.

OldPhiKap
06-30-2010, 10:37 PM
66 days until the first football game..... 40 days until the pre-season camp begins.

Why not Duke?

Why not now?

I am excited about the upcoming season yet again. I know that building a program is a process, and I have both patience and belief in the staff. But there's no time like the present.

Rip, tear, givemhell. Duke!

CameronBornAndBred
07-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Add defensive end Jon Woodruff to Cut's list of commits.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/jul/02/blue-devils-land-talented-linebacker/sports-college-football/

Faison1
07-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Add defensive end Jon Woodruff to Cut's list of commits.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/jul/02/blue-devils-land-talented-linebacker/sports-college-football/

That guy is listed at 6'2, 186....pretty light for a DE. Can someone more informed than me speak to some of the highly-rated prospects we are looking good with?

roywhite
07-03-2010, 08:50 PM
That guy is listed at 6'2, 186....pretty light for a DE. Can someone more informed than me speak to some of the highly-rated prospects we are looking good with?

Listed by Rivals or Scout maybe?

The article linked indicates he is 6'4" 215#

I can't say for sure, but I'd say the measurements given in the article are more accurate than those you saw. Some of the recruiting sites don't update info very often.

Faison1
07-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Listed by Rivals or Scout maybe?

The article linked indicates he is 6'4" 215#

I can't say for sure, but I'd say the measurements given in the article are more accurate than those you saw. Some of the recruiting sites don't update info very often.

You're exactly right. I was looking at Scout. I guess I am getting a little concerned, as the last few commits have not been rated highly, again, according to Scout. Is there more to these guys than the "NR" vs "Stars"? Are we looking good with any highly touted recruits? Like some good D-Lineman?

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-03-2010, 10:38 PM
You're exactly right. I was looking at Scout. I guess I am getting a little concerned, as the last few commits have not been rated highly, again, according to Scout. Is there more to these guys than the "NR" vs "Stars"? Are we looking good with any highly touted recruits? Like some good D-Lineman?

The trend in Duke's football recruiting is clearly to bring in bigger, stronger, faster guys. Coach Cutcliffe has remarked that the staff likes to work with potential recruits in the camps on campus. During the camps, the staff can see how "coachable" each guy is, a significant factor for whether an offer will be made as some point. Coach Cutcliffe has also said that the rankings don't mean much to him.

Here's a link to some information about the class coming in this year. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=108638&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204878444

roywhite
07-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Coach Cut scores again. Another in-state player, Jamison Crowder from Monroe, has chosen Duke, this time reportedly over offers from UNC, Wake, ECU, and Illinois.

He's an explosive return man and defensive back (http://www.enquirerjournal.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Crowder+receives+second+offer%20&id=5509711&instance=most_recommended)

OZZIE4DUKE
07-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Coach Cut scores again. Another in-state player, Jamison Crowder from Monroe, has chosen Duke, this time reportedly over offers from UNC, Wake, ECU, and Illinois.

He's an explosive return man and defensive back (http://www.enquirerjournal.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Crowder+receives+second+offer%20&id=5509711&instance=most_recommended)
The linked article, dated today, says he was excited about getting an offer from carolina, although he's interested in Duke. Are you sure he committed today?

roywhite
07-12-2010, 02:25 PM
The linked article, dated today, says he was excited about getting an offer from carolina, although he's interested in Duke. Are you sure he committed today?

Yeah, today's date appears on the link, but the article is from January. Note the "6 months ago" and also if you hit the "Print" function on the article, it's dated 1/9/10. News of his commitment is on thedevilsden today.

The in-state theme continues. According to a list on Scout.com, that's the 17th commitment to Duke for players graduating in 2011, and the 9th from North Carolina high schools.

I like the idea of a dynamite punt returner/kick returner. Coach Cut is getting some nice weapons.

CameronBornAndBred
07-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Yup, Scout (TDD) confirms it. Congrats on another NC snag!
http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=983381&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f983 381.html

rotogod00
07-12-2010, 02:36 PM

and via ESPN on 7/10, 2 more:

1. "linebacker/tight end prospect, Kyler Brown of Christian (Charlotte, N.C.) has pledged to the Blue Devils for the Class of 2011 over the Oregon Ducks."

Joins older brother Kelby from last year's class.

2. "Duke has gained a pledge from outside linebacker Zeek Bigger of Ashbrook (Gastonia, N.C.) for the Class of 2011."

Brings the class total to 17

roywhite
07-12-2010, 03:23 PM
and via ESPN on 7/10, 2 more:

1. "linebacker/tight end prospect, Kyler Brown of Christian (Charlotte, N.C.) has pledged to the Blue Devils for the Class of 2011 over the Oregon Ducks."

Joins older brother Kelby from last year's class.

2. "Duke has gained a pledge from outside linebacker Zeek Bigger of Ashbrook (Gastonia, N.C.) for the Class of 2011."

Brings the class total to 17

Yeah, both of those guys sound good.

Zeke Bigger....candidate for all-name team?

Coach Cut has got things rolling.

sagegrouse
07-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Zeke Bigger....candidate for all-name team?

Coach Cut has got things rolling.

Yep. This is right up there with the all-time great, Exree Hipp of Terpdom.

sagegrouse

CameronBornAndBred
07-12-2010, 03:37 PM
I love this quote from Kyler..

"It's going to be sweet because my brother's already there," Kyler Brown said. "I'm going to get to play with him and win an ACC championship with him."
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/charlotte-christians-brown-picks-duke#ixzz0tUyQnQw9

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah, today's date appears on the link, but the article is from January. Note the "6 months ago" and also if you hit the "Print" function on the article, it's dated 1/9/10. News of his commitment is on thedevilsden today.

The in-state theme continues. According to a list on Scout.com, that's the 17th commitment to Duke for players graduating in 2011, and the 9th from North Carolina high schools.

I like the idea of a dynamite punt returner/kick returner. Coach Cut is getting some nice weapons.

P A R T Y in the making! Key word is dynamite.

OldPhiKap
07-12-2010, 08:24 PM

sagegrouse

Don't forget the Mapp brothers -- Majestic and Scientific.

rotogod00
07-22-2010, 09:03 AM
And another has committed: Sam Mitchell, a 6'8" (wow) defensive lineman

roywhite
07-24-2010, 09:48 AM
And another has committed: Sam Mitchell, a 6'8" (wow) defensive lineman

Here's some info on Mitchell. (http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/072010/07222010/563311)

Jarhead
07-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Here's some info on Mitchell. (http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/072010/07222010/563311)What am I missing here? The linked article is about Sam Marshall, your post only mentions Sam Mitchell. That's okay though. Maybe we got both of them.:rolleyes:

rotogod00
07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
This time Cutcliffe snatches one out of SEC country, cornerback Jared Boyd of Georgia. ESPN's grade is 76 and has him as the 39th best CB in the class

JasonEvans
07-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Boyd had offers from Ga Tech, Illinois, Vandy, Stanford, Ole Miss, Kentucky, UCF, and several other BCS conference teams.

Marshall (not Mitchell) had offers from Louisville, ECU, NC State, and Virginia.

Someone already mentioned that Oregon was looking at Brown.

Zeek Bigger had offers from Arkansas, South Carolina, Maryland, and others.

Folks, after years of seeing Duke beat out Citadel or Wofford for recruits, it is a real pleasure to see us going up against major BCS programs and nabbing recruits. I know Cut is also great at finding diamonds in the rough and identifying kids who others have overlooked. I firmly believe that it all has to start with recruiting and Cut has quite clearly taken Duke's recruiting up a very significant notch.

It is a long process in football, especially if you properly redshirt most of your freshmen, but anyone who does not see us on a path to success just ain't paying attention. Hiring Cut was the best move we've made in football in decades!

--Jason "get this, I am actually eager and excited for the football season to start-- stunning!!" Evans

roywhite
07-26-2010, 11:24 AM
What am I missing here? The linked article is about Sam Marshall, your post only mentions Sam Mitchell. That's okay though. Maybe we got both of them.:rolleyes:

My bad on the name. At his height, he'll definitely stand out.

Pretty good run on recruiting; we could be nearly done by the time the season starts.
I believe the total count is 20 commitments already.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-26-2010, 11:32 AM
My bad on the name. At his height, he'll definitely stand out.

Pretty good run on recruiting; we could be nearly done by the time the season starts.
I believe the total count is 20 commitments already.

In addition to improving the quality of recruits, Coach Cutcliffe is filling classes more quickly. I certainly appreciate his ability to identify "coachability" in recruits as a way to build a successful program.

Benchwarmer
07-26-2010, 11:33 AM
ESPN ranked our 2011 recruiting class as the 43rd best in the country. Dizzying heights considering a school like WVU, known for decades for pulling top shelf athletes out of Florida, was ranked 66th. Somebody in the athletic department better go nail Cutcliffe's door shut or put one of those house arrest anklets on him. I have always thought that we could compete in big time football with the right coach (look at Jim Grobe at WFU). Time to get my Duke mini-helmet out of storage and put it on my desk.

gumbomoop
07-26-2010, 11:54 AM

sagegrouse

I got one most will never have heard of because it's from awhile back and he played bball at Kentucky Wesleyan (I think). But the name - I'm not making this up - was Flenoil Crook. I vaguely remember a small piece in Sports Illustrated, probably on "Small Colleges," in which Flenoil's mom was quoted as yelling from the stands, "Dance on his face, Flenoil." I tend to fall out of my chair every time I recall this.... uhh...... admonition.

CameronBornAndBred
07-26-2010, 01:00 PM
This time Cutcliffe snatches one out of SEC country, cornerback Jared Boyd of Georgia. ESPN's grade is 76 and has him as the 39th best CB in the class

He looks good and it's great that Cutcliffe got him...but it sure would be nice to get a conerback that has some height. Boyd is only 5' 9".

OZZIE4DUKE
07-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Somebody in the athletic department better go nail Cutcliffe's door shut or put one of those house arrest anklets on him. I have always thought that we could compete in big time football with the right coach (look at Jim Grobe at WFU).
Coach Cut is here for the long haul. He solidified that himself when he turned down the Tennessee job last spring. That was supposed to be his "dream job". NOW Duke is his dream job!

kyriecrazy2013
07-26-2010, 08:11 PM
ESPN ranked our 2011 recruiting class as the 43rd best in the country. Dizzying heights considering a school like WVU, known for decades for pulling top shelf athletes out of Florida, was ranked 66th. Somebody in the athletic department better go nail Cutcliffe's door shut or put one of those house arrest anklets on him. I have always thought that we could compete in big time football with the right coach (look at Jim Grobe at WFU). Time to get my Duke mini-helmet out of storage and put it on my desk.

I speak from "close counsel," coach Cut is here to stay. I can't really elaborate on that but his plan is to stay at Duke for a long time. He truly loves it at Duke and says he has put together "the best coaching staff in the country" so it will really take a lot for him to give it up. I doubt he will give it up.

DevilWearsPrada
07-27-2010, 09:39 AM
we are duke!!!!!!

rotogod00
07-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Overview of Duke's recruiting efforts, now and the plan for the future:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=5394273

rotogod00
07-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Nick Hill, a 6-foot-2 wideout from TN, is the 21st pledge for the Devils. ESPN has him rated as the 99th best WR.

roywhite
07-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Nick Hill, a 6-foot-2 wideout from TN, is the 21st pledge for the Devils. ESPN has him rated as the 99th best WR.

Got one from Tennessee, but may lose a previous commitment from Tennessee, and lose him to the University of Tennessee.

Rivals is reporting that TE Brendan Downs from Bristol,TN is considering a recent offer from the Vols and will make an announcement Friday afternoon 7/30.

Could be bad news, but this sort of thing can happen, especially when our prospects are also recruited by well known programs.

DukeSean
07-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Got one from Tennessee, but may lose a previous commitment from Tennessee, and lose him to the University of Tennessee.

Rivals is reporting that TE Brendan Downs from Bristol,TN is considering a recent offer from the Vols and will make an announcement Friday afternoon 7/30.

Could be bad news, but this sort of thing can happen, especially when our prospects are also recruited by well known programs.

Decommittments happen, and sometimes they hurt us, sometimes they help us. In the end though, I have full confidence that Cut will continue building our program to national prominence

Class of '94
07-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Decommittments happen, and sometimes they hurt us, sometimes they help us. In the end though, I have full confidence that Cut will continue building our program to national prominence

I know it's goes on in college basketball (see Calipari and Terrence Jones); but it seems like the situation where a kid verbally commits to one school but other schools continue to keep recruiting that kid even after he verbals, occurs a lot in college footbal and people don't seem to be bothered about it as much. I continue to wonder why that is so. Does anyone have any thoughts about about this?

College basketball coaches seem to imply that there is a gentlemen's agreement that once a kid officially verbals, opposing coaches generally tend to back off; but it doesn't appear that college football coaches have a similar agreement in place for themselves.

jimsumner
07-29-2010, 01:04 PM
College basketball coaches seem to imply that there is a gentlemen's agreement that once a kid officially verbals, opposing coaches generally tend to back off; but it doesn't appear that college football coaches have a similar agreement in place for themselves.

There are some differences between the sports. First, there simply are a lot, lot more football recruits out there.

Second, there's no early-signing date for football players, so these kids are vulnerable to poaching until well after the conclusion of their senior seasons.

But there is a difference in culture. Call them "soft verbals" or "you'll do unless something better comes along" or whatever. But it's quite common for a football prepster to announce that he's committing to a school but will continue to take visits. That doesn't happen anywhere that often with basketball players.

Yes, it bothers me.

pbc2
07-30-2010, 08:32 AM
If Brendan Downs and his teammate Mack Crowder (another Duke recruit at OL) end up at Tennessee this afternoon, maybe that will help with four star TE Cameron Clear and OT Donovan Smith. Clear is thought to be down to Duke, Alabama, and Tennessee. Smith is still pretty wide open, but visited Duke on Tuesday (http://bit.ly/99D6G3).

Acymetric
08-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Well after the loss of Downs looks like we picked up what looks like a pretty good WR in Blair Holliday (http://rivals.yahoo.com/duke/football/recruiting/player-Blair-Holliday-93569;_ylt=Au6bxsd_427LSIH3j420sAqQrpB4). Not exactly a big time offer sheet, the most notable offer being Boise, but more offers may have been on the way later. 6'3 with a 4.5 40 sounds pretty good to me, and his highlight video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nug31hJ-IU4) is impressive too.

Listed as a 3 star on Rivals and ESPN, unrated so far on Scout. Does anyone know more about Holliday?

CameronBornAndBred
08-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Well after the loss of Downs looks like we picked up what looks like a pretty good WR in Blair Holliday (http://rivals.yahoo.com/duke/football/recruiting/player-Blair-Holliday-93569;_ylt=Au6bxsd_427LSIH3j420sAqQrpB4). Not exactly a big time offer sheet, the most notable offer being Boise, but more offers may have been on the way later. 6'3 with a 4.5 40 sounds pretty good to me, and his highlight video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nug31hJ-IU4) is impressive too.

Listed as a 3 star on Rivals and ESPN, unrated so far on Scout. Does anyone know more about Holliday?
He's 6'3? I hope we move him to cornerback!

formerdukeathlete
08-03-2010, 03:56 PM

Boise State and San Diego State offers not shabby. Stanford is going after 4 stars at this point, maybe explains why this qualified academically recruit was shy of that Stanford offer. Also on some Ivy League schools' radar. Might be a candidate to start early, next spring. solid 3 star player.

devildeac
08-03-2010, 11:31 PM

Well after the loss of Downs...

We got penalized again?

pbc2
08-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Interview with Holliday on his decision is here (http://bit.ly/ankc5f). Sounds like he was impressed with the recent success of Duke's receivers.

roywhite
08-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Scout is reporting that Chris Tavarez has committed to Duke.

He is a safety and and an actor! (http://disneyinfonet.com/2010/08/04/avalon-high-star-chris-tavarez-disney-infonets-exclusive-interview/)

Star power, indeed.

watzone
08-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Duke just added Atlanta's Chris Tavarez, a defensive hitter. I talked with him just a few minutes ago - great kid. See for yourself - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/08/duke-lands-chris-tavarez-and-he-discusses-his-decision-with-bdn/

Duke of Nashville
08-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Duke just added Atlanta's Chris Tavarez, a defensive hitter. I talked with him just a few minutes ago - great kid. See for yourself - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/08/duke-lands-chris-tavarez-and-he-discusses-his-decision-with-bdn/

I like his swag.....ooooooooooooooooooooh. Big Hitter.

devildeac
08-09-2010, 07:01 PM

Can we put him on the safety/DB "stretcher" before he arrives so he measures out about 6'1" during his 1st semester;)? Sounds like another good recruit for Coach Cut.

Dukefan1214
08-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I wasn't sure if you all had seen this or not, but the Duke Football program received a commitment from Chris Tavarez today.

Tavarez, a defender from Atlanta, is known for his big hits on the defensive side of the ball and has a big frame for a player 5'10. Tavarez's size will also allow him to play multiple positions for Coach Cutcliffe this season, and he sat down with BDN today to discuss his decision.

Full Story Here: http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/08/duke-lands-chris-tavarez-and-he-discusses-his-decision-with-bdn/

4decadedukie
08-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Coach Cut (and his colleagues) are doing a terrific job, including long-term recruiting of a sort that not only gets first-class players abroad now/soon, but additionally raises Duke's football stature and profile in key geographic areas and among top high school coaches. The last two years (not the seasons alone) have seen real progress, the impending campaign will be tough (seven top-25 teams as opponents, as I recall), however we are going to get there, Duke will be a competitive ACC force quite soon.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-09-2010, 08:22 PM
I wasn't sure if you all had seen this or not, but the Duke Football program received a commitment from Chris Tavarez today.

Tavarez, a defender from Atlanta, is known for his big hits on the defensive side of the ball and has a big frame for a player 5'10. Tavarez's size will also allow him to play multiple positions for Coach Cutcliffe this season, and he sat down with BDN today to discuss his decision.

Full Story Here: http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/08/duke-lands-chris-tavarez-and-he-discusses-his-decision-with-bdn/

Watzone posted his great interview of this recruit in the football recruiting thread.

arnie
08-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Coach Cut (and his colleagues) are doing a terrific job, including long-term recruiting of a sort that not only gets first-class players abroad now/soon, but additionally raises Duke's football stature and profile in key geographic areas and among top high school coaches. The last two years (not the seasons alone) have seen real progress, the impending campaign will be tough (seven top-25 teams as opponents, as I recall), however we are going to get there, Duke will be a competitive ACC force quite soon.

I'm not sure I understand why getting a 2-star recruit generates so much excitement and I don't think he's recruited any better than Roof. Afterall, unless we're bonified recruiting experts, we have to use some sort of rating service to decipher overall recruiting excellence. However, and this a big however, Cut knows how to coach, knows who to hire, knows how to build a program and knows how to inject enthusiasm. I think these are the qualities that will someday bring us higher rated recrujits and make us competitive. Incidentally, I think it actually five top-25 teams this year, UNC, Miami, Va Tech, Ga Tech and Alabama. Still a strong schedule.

CameronBornAndBred
08-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure I understand why getting a 2-star recruit generates so much excitement and I don't think he's recruited any better than Roof. Afterall, unless we're bonified recruiting experts, we have to use some sort of rating service to decipher overall recruiting excellence. However, and this a big however, Cut knows how to coach, knows who to hire, knows how to build a program and knows how to inject enthusiasm. I think these are the qualities that will someday bring us higher rated recrujits and make us competitive. Incidentally, I think it actually five top-25 teams this year, UNC, Miami, Va Tech, Ga Tech and Alabama. Still a strong schedule.
There is no way that Roof would have landed Renfree. He came solely because of Cutcliffe. I know what you are saying about the recruiting comparison though. I think Cut has done a better job, however..especially within the state. The main thing to remember is that until a program wins, recruiting is going to be hard...Roof was not going to win at Duke..at least not with the support he had from the athletic department. Part of Cutcliffe's mission is to change the whole culture of Duke football..not just the number in the win column. As that culture changes, his recruiting efforts will reap the rewards.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-09-2010, 08:45 PM

Coach Cutcliffe does seem to be recruiting more fast players, many of whom are taller and bigger than we often recruited in the past. He's also added another criterion to the usual ones by working with potential recruits in the football camps he hosts so he and the staff can makes judgment based on how "coachable" each prospect is.

To say that Coach Cutcliffe knows how to build a program and how to inject enthusiasm does recognize some important aspects of his stature as a coach, but what really sets him apart, in my opinion, is his skill at preparing for games and his skill as a tactician. His coaching ability in football is analogous to Coach K's in basketball.

roywhite
08-09-2010, 09:44 PM

Tavarez is rated as a 3-star prospect by Rivals with offers from Kentucky, Maryland, and Tulane.

In addition, he's an outstanding student who also has offers from Harvard and Princeton, and he's a budding movie star! (http://disneyinfonet.com/2010/08/04/avalon-high-star-chris-tavarez-disney-infonets-exclusive-interview/) So, having an exceptional young man like this decide on Duke is good news, indeed.

As to Coach Cut's recruiting vs some of his predecessors, the "star" ratings may be similar, but I like the emphasis on speed; I trust Coach Cut's judgment in evaluating and selecting talent. And coaching it.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Tavarez is rated as a 3-star prospect by Rivals with offers from Kentucky, Maryland, and Tulane.

In addition, he's an outstanding student who also has offers from Harvard and Princeton, and he's a budding movie star! (http://disneyinfonet.com/2010/08/04/avalon-high-star-chris-tavarez-disney-infonets-exclusive-interview/) So, having an exceptional young man like this decide on Duke is good news, indeed.

As to Coach Cut's recruiting vs some of his predecessors, the "star" ratings may be similar, but I like the emphasis on speed; I trust Coach Cut's judgment in evaluating and selecting talent. And coaching it.

Coach Cutcliffe is bringing in those guys who can be agile, hostile and mobile..... plus smart. He's said he doesn't think much of the rating scales and pays little attention to them. His use of the football camps to sort out recruits vs visitors is a very insightful component for identifying those who really will be good for our program.

rotogod00
08-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Coach Cutcliffe is bringing in those guys who can be agile, hostile and mobile..... plus smart. He's said he doesn't think much of the rating scales and pays little attention to them. His use of the football camps to sort out recruits vs visitors is a very insightful component for identifying those who really will be good for our program.

While he may not pay much attention to the ratings, he's doing a fine job in somehow finding talent. According to ESPN, he's already brought aboard 14 3-star guys after landing only 8 all of last recruiting season.

Oh, and the 22 verbals he's gotten so far is tied for tops in the nation.

Nugget
08-10-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm not sure I understand why getting a 2-star recruit generates so much excitement and I don't think he's recruited any better than Roof. Afterall, unless we're bonified recruiting experts, we have to use some sort of rating service to decipher overall recruiting excellence.

I pay less attention to the "stars" of our recruits than I do to the other schools who are offering players who choose Duke, as I have more faith in the judgments of the coaches who do the offering than I do in the rankings themselves.

And, in that respect at least, I've definitely seen a jump in Duke's recruiting under Coach Cut -- not so much at the top of the class (i.e., we aren't beating out Miami, FSU or Carolina for 4 and 5 star recruits), but in the across-the-board consistency of landing bona-fide BCS conference talent.

In particular, nearly every player we are landing now also has offers from solid, middle of the road, BCS schools -- we're consistently getting players who choose Duke over the likes of Kentucky, Maryland, Virginia, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Vandy, etc., whereas in the past 15 years probably half our class every year was picking between Duke and Buffalo, Western Carolina, Elon, and the Ivies.

DukeSean
08-10-2010, 04:01 PM
I pay less attention to the "stars" of our recruits than I do to the other schools who are offering players who choose Duke, as I have more faith in the judgments of the coaches who do the offering than I do in the rankings themselves.

And, in that respect at least, I've definitely seen a jump in Duke's recruiting under Coach Cut -- not so much at the top of the class (i.e., we aren't beating out Miami, FSU or Carolina for 4 and 5 star recruits), but in the across-the-board consistency of landing bona-fide BCS conference talent.

In particular, nearly every player we are landing now also has offers from solid, middle of the road, BCS schools -- we're consistently getting players who choose Duke over the likes of Kentucky, Maryland, Virginia, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Vandy, etc., whereas in the past 15 years probably half our class every year was picking between Duke and Buffalo, Western Carolina, Elon, and the Ivies.

completely agree. I trust Cut's judgment and that of other BCS coaches more than Scout's or Rivals' or any other recruiting site's. I think the increased average talent of our recruits is helping a lot in our depth. Even if you bring in one or two so-called 4 or 5 star recruits but only can manage to reel in 1 or 2 star talent in the rest of the class, you're not going to be all that successful. You'll hang around in the 1st quarter, but that lack of depth catches up when you're matched up against solid BCS schools. I think this is one area of great improvement that Cut has brought to the table.

pbc2
08-10-2010, 04:59 PM
There are a handful of top-tier recruits that Duke is in the final running for this fall. There are two in particular who are both down to Duke, Alabama, and Tennessee. Recruits are taking notice of what Coach Cut has done at Duke, and it is only a matter of time before Duke is consistently competing for some of the top recruits.

That being said, one of the biggest hurdles for Duke to land the top tier recruits is the lack of a recent NFL pipeline. The 4 and 5 star players want a chance to play professionally, and Duke hasn't had a lot of success with that of late. The players Coach Cut and the staff have recruited will develop into solid BCS football players over their careers, and hopefully a few of them will get a chance to stick in the league. Vinnie Rey played well in his first game with the Bengals, and hopefully Thad will get a chance in St. Louis.

pbc2
08-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Interview with prospect Dillon van der Wal (http://bit.ly/bQhYXE) is up on Blue Devil Nation.

He'd be a nice get for Duke. His highlights are up on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9GRLodjSHc

roywhite
08-14-2010, 08:31 AM
ESPN has an overall look at Duke's 2011 commitments so far. (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=150&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fschoolId%3d150% 26season%3d2011) This indicates 14 3-star commitment and 1 4-star among the 22 publicly announced so far.

Rivals has 8 3-stars noted and Scout has 6 3-stars noted, so ESPN has perhaps a different relative scale or is just more positive about these guys. At any rate, it looks like Coach Cut is recruiting well and may end up with his best class so far, particularly if he can fill out the class with a few more highly ranked prospects.

formerdukeathlete
08-14-2010, 12:50 PM
There are a handful of top-tier recruits that Duke is in the final running for this fall. There are two in particular who are both down to Duke, Alabama, and Tennessee. Recruits are taking notice of what Coach Cut has done at Duke, and it is only a matter of time before Duke is consistently competing for some of the top recruits.

That being said, one of the biggest hurdles for Duke to land the top tier recruits is the lack of a recent NFL pipeline. The 4 and 5 star players want a chance to play professionally, and Duke hasn't had a lot of success with that of late. The players Coach Cut and the staff have recruited will develop into solid BCS football players over their careers, and hopefully a few of them will get a chance to stick in the league. Vinnie Rey played well in his first game with the Bengals, and hopefully Thad will get a chance in St. Louis.

One of the biggest hurdles in the last couple of years in landing top tier recruits was not offering them. This year's success is related to going after many more of the very good students among the top tier recruits, and we are getting some of them. It is very much different this year; this approach to recruiting works for Duke - and will work big time if we stay after it.

NFL pipeline, sure, but Tavarez may have picked Duke because we are very close to Harvard, Princeton academically, on the verge of being better than Maryland, Kentucky, etc. in Football, geographically desirable, dead on in the middle of the East Coast, etc. It is a compelling combination for the very good students among the top tier.

chrishoke
08-14-2010, 05:17 PM
ESPN has an overall look at Duke's 2011 commitments so far. (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=150&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fschoolId%3d150% 26season%3d2011) This indicates 14 3-star commitment and 1 4-star among the 22 publicly announced so far.

Rivals has 8 3-stars noted and Scout has 6 3-stars noted, so ESPN has perhaps a different relative scale or is just more positive about these guys. At any rate, it looks like Coach Cut is recruiting well and may end up with his best class so far, particularly if he can fill out the class with a few more highly ranked prospects.

RIVALS has now upgraded one of our recruits to three star so they now have us with nine 3 stars.

sagegrouse
08-14-2010, 07:03 PM
RIVALS has now upgraded one of our recruits to three star so they now have us with nine 3 stars.

Aha! A sign of respect for Cutcliffe and the Duke football program. This has been happening with basketball recruits -- upgrading the rating after signing with Duke -- for years and years.

sagegrouse

Acymetric
08-14-2010, 07:22 PM

Who got the upgrade?

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Aha! A sign of respect for Cutcliffe and the Duke football program. This has been happening with basketball recruits -- upgrading the rating after signing with Duke -- for years and years.

sagegrouse

A great point.... and notice how the football threads are staying mostly near the top on the EK Board.

chrishoke
08-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Who got the upgrade?

Kaylen Pearson.

rotogod00
08-15-2010, 01:36 PM
ESPN Mailbag on Friday:

Q: Do you see Duke putting together classes that are on par with at least UNC in the near future?

A: While I don't think they will be on par with UNC, I believe that David Cutcliffe's staff has done a very good job upgrading talent. I would think their ultimate goal is to recruit similar to the way Stanford does, but to give you a better answer I went to Tom Luginbill, ESPN's national director of football recruiting, for his thoughts on the Blue Devils' recruiting:

"[Cutcliffe] has definitely upgraded their overall speed and athleticism," Luginbill said. "It will be tough for them to be Stanford because they don't have their facilities and Stanford does not have to deal with basketball being the dominant sport. Considering their academic standards, I think they have .500 or slightly above talent in coming years. They already have 22 verbals for this class."

chrishoke
08-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Rivals now has rated Tim Burton as a three star recruit, now giving Duke a total of 10.

DukeSean
08-18-2010, 09:09 AM
an interesting note on a recruit who picked Troy:

Cornerback Chris Davis of Thomasville, Ala., has given his commitment to Troy for the 2011 signing class.

Davis also considered Duke, South Alabama, Southern Mississippi and UAB.

"At first I was going to commit to Duke, but they dropped me," Davis told the Dothan Eagle. "I didn't want anyone else to drop me. I want to play Division I ball and play some of the top-ranked schools. I can do that at Troy. They're close to home, they're good and I want to go there."

No doubt some recruits recently have used Duke as a stepping stone to bigger offers (see: Aramide Olaniyan), but I like how our recruiting has come to the point where some recruits are feeling the heat to commit to Duke before someone else does, lest they lose that offer.

rotogod00
08-27-2010, 09:43 AM
23rd pledge is in: Virginia Beach CB Reggie Owens.

ESPN gives him 2 stars (on the cusp of 3) and a 74 grade, ranking him as the 60th best CB prospect

CameronBornAndBred
08-27-2010, 09:49 AM
23rd pledge is in: Virginia Beach CB Reggie Owens.

ESPN gives him 2 stars (on the cusp of 3) and a 74 grade, ranking him as the 60th best CB prospect
He's 6'. I'll take a tall cornerback any day.

CameronBornAndBred
09-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Duke is in the lead for 4 star tight end Dillon Van Der Wal. The dude is 6'7".

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=2&c=998246&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2frecruiting.scout.com%2f2 %2f998246.html

Dukeface88
09-04-2010, 03:18 AM
Duke is in the lead for 4 star tight end Dillon Van Der Wal. The dude is 6'7".

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=2&c=998246&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2frecruiting.scout.com%2f2 %2f998246.html

That's excellent news. From his profile it sounds like he's more of a blocker than a reciever, but he should make a pretty nice target. Looks like there will be minutes available next year at TE; we lose three seniors at that position.

I noticed we've got a verbal from a teammate of his, WR named Blair Holliday. Maybe the beginnings of a pipeline on the West Coast?

Acymetric
09-04-2010, 03:23 AM
That's excellent news. From his profile it sounds like he's more of a blocker than a reciever, but he should make a pretty nice target. Looks like there will be minutes available next year at TE; we lose three seniors at that position.

I noticed we've got a verbal from a teammate of his, WR named Blair Holliday. Maybe the beginnings of a pipeline on the West Coast?

We're actually only losing 2 seniors. True senior Danny Parker will redshirt this year (not injury related). He and Helfet will likely be our top 2 TEs next year, and should make quite a duo. Danny has made a few really athletic plays...there is one touchdown in particular that really caught my eye although I can't remember which game it was in.

Oh, and sorry I don't have a link, but it was on Cut's radio show.

Dukeface88
09-04-2010, 12:55 PM
We're actually only losing 2 seniors. True senior Danny Parker will redshirt this year (not injury related). He and Helfet will likely be our top 2 TEs next year, and should make quite a duo. Danny has made a few really athletic plays...there is one touchdown in particular that really caught my eye although I can't remember which game it was in.

Oh, and sorry I don't have a link, but it was on Cut's radio show.

That's...really clever. We're not likely to need 4 TEs, barring injury, and then we could choose to burn the shirt (or give some snaps to freshmen, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing). And in 2012, we'll have two RS jrs and, I'm assuming, a RS soph.

I haven't heard of us doing this sort of thing before. I continue to be impressed by our coaching staff's ability to find creative solutions in and out of the game.

watzone
09-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Duke Football is entertaining a ton of prospects this weekend - Duke Football entertains a ton of prospects - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/09/cutcliffe-and-duke-football-entertain-a-bevy-of-recruits/

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Duke Football is entertaining a ton of prospects this weekend - Duke Football entertains a ton of prospects - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/09/cutcliffe-and-duke-football-entertain-a-bevy-of-recruits/

I've heard a little discussion that quite a few of these guys have been targeted because they can play defense. What about it, any truth to that, Watzone?

Devilsfan
09-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Just a couple of observations/questions. Aren't there any 4 star recruits smart enough to know the value of a Duke education for post college/pro life? Aren't we ever going to find speedy corners/safetys that are over 5'10" in height? These tall receivers seem to be having a field day with our face guarding tiny D-Backs regardless of their make up speed.

mkline09
09-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Just a couple of observations/questions. Aren't there any 4 star recruits smart enough to know the value of a Duke education for post college/pro life? Aren't we ever going to find speedy corners/safetys that are over 5'10" in height? These tall receivers seem to be having a field day with our face guarding tiny D-Backs regardless of their make up speed.

I understand your frustration but it isn't all about the height of the coner back, it is about their speed, and technique. Darrell Revis arguably the best corner in the NFL is only 5'11. But his speed an superior technique allow him to make the Randy Moss' of the world look like slouches. Bob Sanders, when he isn't hurt, is only 5'8. So it isn't always about height.

Duke's current DBS are Ross Cockrell who is a freshman, and Johnny Williams has never played corner. They are clearly the weakiest link in the secondary right now. The other DBs Matt Daniels and Chris R. are holding their own.

Bob Green
09-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Duke's current DBS are Ross Cockrell who is a freshman....

Ross Cockrell is going to be a stud at cornerback once he gains a little experience. I'll defer to Olympic Fan for the details:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22243-FB-Wake-Forest-54-Duke-48-Post-Game-Thread&p=431586#post431586

Coach Cutcliffe has focused on increasing speed on the team. It takes time to put it all together. Let's remember folks, Rome wasn't built in a day.

mkline09
09-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Ross Cockrell is going to be a stud at cornerback once he gains a little experience. I'll defer to Olympic Fan for the details:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22243-FB-Wake-Forest-54-Duke-48-Post-Game-Thread&p=431586#post431586

Coach Cutcliffe has focused on increasing speed on the team. It takes time to put it all together. Let's remember folks, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I agree. I think he will be good eventually. He already looks better than Johnny Williams, although no fault of Johnny who is new to the position. Cut has focused on speed now it is a matter of coaching them good technique and using that speed wisely, because a fast receiver with good technique will beat a faster DB with poor technique.

Indoor66
09-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Bob Sanders, when he isn't hurt, is only 5'8. So it isn't always about height.

How tall is he when he is hurt?

mkline09
09-18-2010, 09:24 AM
How tall is he when he is hurt?

He still is only 5'8 but one hell of a player when he isn't hurt. So height in the defensive backfield isn't always that important. And besides taller players with these skill sets are usually on the offensive side of the ball.

watzone
09-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Future Duke kicker is one of the nations very best - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/09/future-of-duke-punting-looks-bright/

watzone
09-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Huge Tennessee lineman recaps his visit to the Duke-Alabama game - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/09/tennessee-offensive-lineman-cody-robinson-set-to-announce-decision-draft/

ChillinDuke
09-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Huge Tennessee lineman recaps his visit to the Duke-Alabama game - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/09/tennessee-offensive-lineman-cody-robinson-set-to-announce-decision-draft/

And with Watzone's segway and a few timely Tweets, 3-star OL Cody Robinson commits to Coach Cut and the Duke Blue Devils!

Welcome aboard, Cody!

http://twitter.com/search?q=cody%20robinson

sagegrouse
09-24-2010, 01:31 PM
And with Watzone's segway and a few timely Tweets, 3-star OL Cody Robinson commits to Coach Cut and the Duke Blue Devils!

Great news for Duke! Welcome aboard, Cody.

BTW, ChillinDuke, can we get a picture of Watzone on his Segway? I'll bet he can't really ride it. :p

sagegrouse

uh_no
09-24-2010, 01:42 PM

Welcome aboard, Cody!

http://twitter.com/search?q=cody%20robinson

congratulations both cut and cody....

cut has given so much to this university and program in the time that he's been here....he gave up so much to stay here......my only wish is that the students and community continue to increase their support

I also spoke to one of the players on the team last night....said "you have 9 games left, which 5 are you going to win to get us to a bowl"

"all of them"

thats the attitude I like

go devils

CameronBornAndBred
09-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Loved this quote from an article on Duke's recruiting this year. (We now have 24 recruits out of 25 maximum allowed)

“He told me, ‘Coach, when I went to visit Duke, the guys were so much more respectful than everywhere else I had gone,’” Johnson said.“I think it was the mannerisms of the players that impressed him. They carried themselves with class, a little more class than at other places, and with dignity. They spoke with a lot of intelligence and were very articulate.”

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2010/sep/30/blue-devils-recruiting-class-climbs-to-24-ar-427195/

duke09hms
10-26-2010, 06:52 PM
story on yahoo sports

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1143962

Before people overreact, I'm not saying we're failing in comparison, but it should serve as encouragement and provide a rough blueprint for future successful recruiting on a national basis, not just NC/regional.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2010, 07:15 PM
story on yahoo sports

Before people overreact, I'm not saying we're failing in comparison, but it should serve as encouragement and provide a rough blueprint for future successful recruiting on a national basis, not just NC/regional.
We'll get to compare on the field next year. They're coming to WW.

loran16
10-26-2010, 07:34 PM
story on yahoo sports

I HATE THIS COMPARISON: They've a much greater recent history of football relevance and have gotten top 25 recruiting classes recently. Vandy/Northwestern are better comparisons, if worse schools accidemically.

duke09hms
10-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Relax my man, no one is expecting us or our recruiting to be as good as stanford until a few more years. But I do think their example does show what Duke Football can become with the proper coaching, institutional support (conference championship contender, top 25 team/recruiting classes), and TIME.

I don't think anyone would argue with that or find that undesirable. Their methods are also pretty interesting to me. Much has been made of Coach Cut's focus on in-state recruiting. But besides building up local fan support (which is necessary to fill the stadium) is there any other reason besides that?

It seems we'd have a much better chance at getting better players that meet our standards if we recruited more nationally instead of locally (like Renfree out of AZ). Maybe it's because we've tried without success due to lack of football relevance, on-field success, or a coaching staff philosophy.

What do you all think?

Also, what's with the huge variation in ranking our current recruiting class? ESPN is giving us 1 four-star, 15 three-stars, 6 two-stars, and 2 unrated out of 24 commitments, which is spectacular! Probably our best class in a LONG time.

Rivals has us at 11 three-stars, 7 two-stars, and 6 unrated out of 24.
Scout has us at 12 three-stars and 12 two-stars out of 24.

Why is ESPN rating our class so much higher? Or is this just normal variation between services.

J.Blink
10-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Don't forget that Oghobaase in 2005 was a 5 star (I think universal? at least according to Scout). He's the only one in recent years I can remember?

According to scout (I'm not sure if people are missing off this list? This is the site (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&c=8&yr=2005)I was looking at), we've had:

2005 (Roof): 1 five star, 2 four stars, 8 three stars, and 12 two stars.
2006 (Roof): 2 four stars, 9 three stars, 15 two stars.
2007 (Roof): 7 three stars, 14 two stars

2008 (Cut/Roof I guess?): 2 four stars, 5 three stars, 10 two stars
2009 (Cut): 1 four star, 10 three stars, 16 two stars
2010 (Cut): 8 three stars, 12 two stars

I hadn't looked back at the recruiting lists like this before. It's actually kind of depressing. The recruiting trajectories--at least according to number of stars--seem shockingly similar. Roof had a phenomenal first class but couldn't do much with it...

I'm very glad for the renewed enthusiasm Cut has brought to the program, and with far better results than Roof managed. I've been to just about every home since ~2000 (with some gaps in there) and the last two years have been night and day compared to the Roof and Franks years. This does make me wonder... is our recruiting actually improving?

One question I have--is Scout reliable? I know in the past it's been said that one of Rivals/Scout is better for football, but I don't remember which.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Don't forget that Oghobaase in 2005 was a 5 star (I think universal? at least according to Scout). He's the only one in recent years I can remember?

According to scout (I'm not sure if people are missing off this list? This is the site (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&c=8&yr=2005)I was looking at), we've had:

2005 (Roof): 1 five star, 2 four stars, 8 three stars, and 12 two stars.
2006 (Roof): 2 four stars, 9 three stars, 15 two stars.
2007 (Roof): 7 three stars, 14 two stars

2008 (Cut/Roof I guess?): 2 four stars, 5 three stars, 10 two stars
2009 (Cut): 1 four star, 10 three stars, 16 two stars
2010 (Cut): 8 three stars, 12 two stars

I hadn't looked back at the recruiting lists like this before. It's actually kind of depressing. The recruiting trajectories--at least according to number of stars--seem shockingly similar. Roof had a phenomenal first class but couldn't do much with it...

I'm very glad for the renewed enthusiasm Cut has brought to the program, and with far better results than Roof managed. I've been to just about every home since ~2000 (with some gaps in there) and the last two years have been night and day compared to the Roof and Franks years. This does make me wonder... is our recruiting actually improving?

One question I have--is Scout reliable? I know in the past it's been said that one of Rivals/Scout is better for football, but I don't remember which.

One several occasions I've heard Coach Cutcliffe say that the ratings don't mean much to him when he recruits. In addition to all the video footage of recruits playing and on site visits made by the staff, Duke has camps in the off season which many recruits attend. The staff looks at the kids' skills and how coachable they are.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2010, 10:22 PM
One several occasions I've heard Coach Cutcliffe say that the ratings don't mean much to him when he recruits. In addition to all the video footage of recruits playing and on site visits made by the staff, Duke has camps in the off season which many recruits attend. The staff looks at the kids' skills and how coachable they are.
Exactly right. I'm not sure how many stars Varner and Vernon got...but obviously they are worth more than what the scouts projected them as. Same with Snead and Scott. These guys have been (and will be) leaders in the ACC (and country).

Bob Green
10-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Exactly right. I'm not sure how many stars Varner and Vernon got...but obviously they are worth more than what the scouts projected them as. Same with Snead and Scott. These guys have been (and will be) leaders in the ACC (and country).

I was just about to post the same thought. Conner Vernon was a two star per Scout but currrently he is one of the best receivers in the ACC. He leads the ACC in receptions per game and receiving yards per game. He was a freshman All-America last season and next year, or by his senior season, with continued development, he will compete for All-America honors.

J.Blink
10-26-2010, 10:31 PM

Good point. I looked up the killer Vs on Scout -- Vernon was a 2-star, Varner a 3-star. Desmond was a 4-star (deserved!) and Snead a 3-star.

I honestly know very little about football recruiting (next to nothing in fact) and have no idea how much these star rankings actually mean. I assume they mean SOMETHING (if for nothing more than bragging rights), but as you showed with Varner and Vernon, perhaps not so much,,,,

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Good point. I looked up the killer Vs on Scout -- Vernon was a 2-star, Varner a 3-star. Desmond was a 4-star (deserved!) and Snead a 3-star.

I honestly know very little about football recruiting (next to nothing in fact) and have no idea how much these star rankings actually mean. I assume they mean SOMETHING (if for nothing more than bragging rights), but as you showed with Varner and Vernon, perhaps not so much,,,,
Coach Cutcliffe places a high value on how readily a player can be coached. This characteristic isn't likely to be reflected in a rating, but it can surely make a significant difference in how good the player becomes.

duke09hms
10-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Regarding recruiting rankings:

I assume they mean SOMETHING (if for nothing more than bragging rights), but as you showed with Varner and Vernon, perhaps not so much,,,,

Two examples isn't showing anything compared to the overall body of recruits. Besides Vernon was rated a 3-star by scout and espn.

Ranking systems (recruiting stars, US News) are always debatable but when they come down to general trends, they are very reliable indicators.

Of course, once in a while some 2-stars outperform some 3 or 4-stars, but you can almost always say a class of 4/5-star recruits is better than 2-star recruits, any coach would agree. Just look at the current BCS or coaches poll rankings. The top teams almost always haul in top recruiting classes. Schools that recruit much better more often than not will beat schools that recruit much worse.

I'd be willing to bet that Cut's quote about "not looking at ratings" doesn't mean he ignores them but just that a player's skills determine the stars, and not the other way around.

As our program improves, it is an reasonable expectation that our recruiting and recruiting rankings will also improve. With 12 to 15 3-star athletes signed this year, I'd say that's not too bad.

Bob Green
10-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Besides Vernon was rated a 3-star by scout and espn.

Conner Vernon was rated 2-stars by Scout (http://scoutcombines.scout.com/a.z?s=450&p=8&c=1&nid=3603671) but he is a 5-stars player in my book.

duke09hms
10-27-2010, 12:17 AM
My bad - I meant rivals and espn: http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Conner-Vernon-74703;_ylt=AiONZNHY.01RKs_W13ChC2dDPZB4

Regardless of his HS rating, I love watching Vernon play.

Anyway, besides needing local support to fill Wally Wade, I was wondering why it's considered so great to emphasize recruiting in-state? NC isn't exactly the greatest football hotbed and the pool of academically-qualified stud recruits is going to be smaller compared to more populated states. Especially because we're competing against a (formerly hehehe) respectable academic state school in UNC that enjoys overwhelmingly popular support in the state.

Go Duke, Beat NAVY!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Regarding recruiting rankings:

Two examples isn't showing anything compared to the overall body of recruits. Besides Vernon was rated a 3-star by scout and espn.

Ranking systems (recruiting stars, US News) are always debatable but when they come down to general trends, they are very reliable indicators.

Of course, once in a while some 2-stars outperform some 3 or 4-stars, but you can almost always say a class of 4/5-star recruits is better than 2-star recruits, any coach would agree. Just look at the current BCS or coaches poll rankings. The top teams almost always haul in top recruiting classes. Schools that recruit much better more often than not will beat schools that recruit much worse.

I'd be willing to bet that Cut's quote about "not looking at ratings" doesn't mean he ignores them but just that a player's skills determine the stars, and not the other way around.

As our program improves, it is an reasonable expectation that our recruiting and recruiting rankings will also improve. With 12 to 15 3-star athletes signed this year, I'd say that's not too bad.
I have been present when Coach Cutcliffe has commented about ratings of players. He hasn't said he doesn't look at them. He said the ratings don't mean much to him. As for analyzing what he really meant, I've found him to be pretty direct and even blunt at times. My impression of him has developed from not only watching him from a distance, but also in direct conversation with him.

sagegrouse
10-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Here are the number of NFL draftees by school (http://www.drafthistory.com/colleges.html)in the ACC over the past ten years.

ACC Draftees by School
2001-2010

Duke 1
Wake 16
BC 19
Ga. Tech 24
State 27
UNC 27
Maryland 27
Clemson 29
Virginia 30
VT 47
FSU 52
Miami 62

The lone Duke draftee was Drew Strojny by the Giants in 2003. He never played in the NFL.

It is hard to believe a gap of this size exists, but it can't help Cut with recruiting.

sagegrouse

roywhite
10-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Here are the number of NFL draftees by school (http://www.drafthistory.com/colleges.html)in the ACC over the past ten years.

ACC Draftees by School
2001-2010

Duke 1
Wake 16
BC 19
Ga. Tech 24
State 27
UNC 27
Maryland 27
Clemson 29
Virginia 30
VT 47
FSU 52
Miami 62

The lone Duke draftee was Drew Strojny by the Giants in 2003. He never played in the NFL.

It is hard to believe a gap of this size exists, but it can't help Cut with recruiting.

sagegrouse

wow...that's a stunning stat.

got to have some kids with pro potential to compete

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-27-2010, 11:12 AM
wow...that's a stunning stat.

got to have some kids with pro potential to compete
You're right! Consider that these stats are just for the past decade and it's even more stunning. What a contrast between the top and the bottom! The highest numbers have a high positive correlation with the conference expansion beginning with FL State.

Devilsfan
10-27-2010, 11:55 AM
We all need to get out and attend our remaining home games. We are so lucky to have Coach Cut as a head coach and need to show our support so that he doesn't get too discouraged. He will produce wins given time but the intangibles and his high integrity in this "win at all costs" era is worth its weight in gold. Who would you want coaching and molding your son, Coach Cut or a Davis or Carroll? To me the answer is easy.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-27-2010, 12:02 PM
We all need to get out and attend our remaining home games. We are so lucky to have Coach Cut as a head coach and need to show our support so that he doesn't get too discouraged. He will produce wins given time but the intangibles and his high integrity in this "win at all costs" era is worth its weight in gold. Who would you want coaching and molding your son, Coach Cut or a Davis or Carroll? To me the answer is easy.
What a great post! I'm casting my vote for Coach Cutcliffe by attending all remaining home games.