PDA

View Full Version : Alex Murphy

Duke4life22
06-20-2010, 11:26 PM
I am new to this site and didn't see any threads about this. Sorry if there was a thread and I just missed it.

There is a rumor going around by a few people that Alex Murphy is going to sign with Duke.

The RecruitScoop tweeted
"Check out this premium Scout.com piece which entails Coach K's pitch to Alex Murphy '12. It looks like a done deal at http://bit.ly/d8UYQ5"

I am not able to read it since I am not a premium member but it seems we may be getting another great future duke player

juise
06-21-2010, 12:02 AM
RoboCop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Murphy_%28character%29)?

I knew Nate was a B.A. recruiter, but this is a whole new level. ;)

Bluedog
06-21-2010, 12:56 AM
An hour later the same guy tweeted:

Dont think to soon. RT @CLykinsBlog: @TheRecruitScoop Do you believe Alex Murphy will be committing to Duke anytime in the very near future?

http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop

So, doesn't look like it's a done deal. For those who don't know and don't feel like looking it up, Alex Murphy is a 6'8" rising junior (junior in the fall) from MA listed as a SF by scout. He's been offered by AZ, UConn, Wake, Indiana, GT, Florida, and us among others.

Holy cow...Rivals has him at 18 offers already!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Alex-Murphy-102115

That's a lot of offers...especially for somebody who just finished (or will soon be finishing) his sophomore year of high school.

MisterRoddy
06-21-2010, 01:11 AM
An hour later the same guy tweeted:

http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop

So, doesn't look like it's a done deal. For those who don't know and don't feel like looking it up, Alex Murphy is a 6'8" rising junior (junior in the fall) from MA listed as a SF by scout. He's been offered by AZ, UConn, Wake, Indiana, GT, Florida, and us among others.

Holy cow...Rivals has him at 18 offers already!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Alex-Murphy-102115

That's a lot of offers...especially for somebody who just finished (or will soon be finishing) his sophomore year of high school.

He never necessarily says he isn't a Duke lock, just that he probably wont commit anytime soon.

amazinballer323
06-21-2010, 02:51 AM
Kyle Singler much?

ChicagoCrazy84
06-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Adam Morrison :D

Olympic Fan
06-21-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm not going to knock the guy, but I would be careful about throwing the Kyle Singler/Adam Morrison comparisons around.

At about the same stage in his career, a lot of people were projecting Duke as the leader for Murophy's older briother Erik, who was a similarly rated prospect.

In the end when lost him to Florida ... and ended up getting Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly instead -- and both ended up as higher rated players. The elder Murphy had similar numbers to Kelly -- although I would argue that it was harder to crack Duke's frontcourt rotation than Florida's ... we'll see how they stack up in the future, but in hindsight, we were better off NOT getting an early commitment from Erik Murphy.

If Alex Murphy commits, great ... but let's not inflate this guy into something he's not.

watzone
06-21-2010, 05:36 PM
I think Duke leads for Murphy but where does this done deal stuff come from?

oldnavy
06-21-2010, 05:44 PM

Well I would say that if you don't know, then it really isn't a done deal after all! :eek:

Greg_Newton
06-21-2010, 05:55 PM

I know this was rhetorical, but I believe it came from a post from an "insider" on UConn's premium scout message board. No idea who he was or what he said though.

watzone
06-21-2010, 06:07 PM
One thing that is becoming obvious is that people seem to pay heed to anything they read with concerns to recruiting these days. It was evident during this weekends NBAPA Camp where I was asked if quite a few things were ture with concerns to DBB Recruiting and almost everything I was asked about made me snicker, but our of respect, I kept a straight face. Murphy may well make a decison in short time for he certainly likes Duke, but it's the first I have heard of a done deal. Let's face it, recruitniks hang on every word true or false these days. Anybody with a twitter account or a posting name can get some web burn by simply mentioning a name. ... a lot of experts with few credentials these days ... I'm afraid it'll only get worse.

BD80
06-21-2010, 06:12 PM
One thing that is becoming obvious is that people seem to pay heed to anything they read with concerns to recruiting these days. It was evident during this weekends NBAPA Camp where I was asked if quite a few things were ture with concerns to DBB Recruiting and almost everything I was asked about made me snicker, but our of respect, I kept a straight face. Murphy may well make a decison in short time for he certainly likes Duke, but it's the first I have heard of a done deal. Let's face it, recruitniks hang on every word true or false these days. Anybody with a twitter account or a posting name can get some web burn by simply mentioning a name. ... a lot of experts with few credentials these days ... I'm afraid it'll only get worse.

Yeah!

Until I read it on the Bleacher Report, its just gossip! :D

BTW I hear you can catch some nasty STDs from words on the streets

El_Diablo
06-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Until I read it on the Bleacher Report, its just gossip! :D

And after you read it on Bleacher Report, it gets upgraded to "baseless speculation."

SilkyJ
06-21-2010, 06:20 PM
BTW I hear you can catch some nasty STDs from words on the streets

Depends on who's word and which street. Some are, uh, safer than others.

ArnieMc
06-21-2010, 07:02 PM
BTW I hear you can catch some nasty STDs from words on the streetsIf you don't wear condoms on your ears, you could get hearing aids.

BD80
06-21-2010, 08:31 PM
If you don't wear condoms on your ears, you could get hearing aids.

I did NOT want to laugh at that, I really didn't.

Newton_14
06-21-2010, 10:18 PM
I did NOT want to laugh at that, I really didn't.

It's ok I laughed out loud, hard. Now that was funny, I don't care who you are....

Big Pappa
06-21-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote of he day.

oldnavy
06-22-2010, 09:26 AM

Good one! I appreciate the laugh this morning. Thanks.

jjh1080
06-22-2010, 09:23 PM
One thing that is becoming obvious is that people seem to pay heed to anything they read with concerns to recruiting these days... Let's face it, recruitniks hang on every word true or false these days. Anybody with a twitter account or a posting name can get some web burn by simply mentioning a name. ... a lot of experts with few credentials these days ... I'm afraid it'll only get worse.

This is about the same thing that can be said about people who get excited about the latest youtube video of a guy. Videos only show the highlights and not the low lights. So when people see the highlights they get excited. People on this site were high on Czyz and King because of their videos. It is good to see that they worked out.

If the speaker has seen the guys first hand on multiple outings I think they can speak to fact, otherwise you are nothing but a rumor monger and that is sad. You guys didn't like it when rumors were flying about Coach K and the Cleveland job, don't do the same.

DevilHorns
07-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Saw the link on the DBR homepage. Many schools like this kid.

Anyone have any updates on Alex Murphy? Anybody tracking his high school play?

chrisheery
07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
All available without paid subscriptions:

1. He definitely likes Duke (he has said this in at least 5 interviews I have read).
2. He is very impressed with Coach K and the 2 hour meeting he had with Coach K when his scholarship was offered.
3. He loves another top prospect (or two) we are looking at in Shabazz Muhammad and Caleb Tarczewski. Both are in his class (2012). He and Shabazz have played together and hung out a lot and get along very well. He and Caleb are on the same AAU and High School teams.
4. He says he is not ready to commit yet and wants to visit a lot of schools to get a better feel.
5. He is an excellent player with similarities to a few players (as he describes it): Singler, Dunleavy, and Mike Miller. His videos on youtube show him to be an outstanding leaper for his size at 6'8" and his shooting and ball-handling is also excellent for a player his size.

Speculation:
you have to find that on your own

SilkyJ
07-18-2010, 02:10 PM

1. He definitely likes Duke (he has said this in at least 5 interviews I have read).
2. He is very impressed with Coach K and the 2 hour meeting he had with Coach K when his scholarship was offered.
3. He loves another top prospect (or two) we are looking at in Shabazz Muhammad and Caleb Tarczewski. Both are in his class (2012). He and Shabazz have played together and hung out a lot and get along very well. He and Caleb are on the same AAU and High School teams.
4. He says he is not ready to commit yet and wants to visit a lot of schools to get a better feel.
5. He is an excellent player with similarities to a few players (as he describes it): Singler, Dunleavy, and Mike Miller. His videos on youtube show him to be an outstanding leaper for his size at 6'8" and his shooting and ball-handling is also excellent for a player his size.

Speculation:

Great update, thanks. Its amazing what a little Googling will do.

Like most players in the 2012 class, it looks like this story won't completely unfold for a while, but its great to hear that he likes Duke.

jimsumner
07-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Keep in mind that he has a brother at Florida and the Gators figure to be a significant player in his recruitment.

They would only overlap for one season, however. Of course, that also applies to Marshall and Miles Plumlee.

dukeballboy88
07-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Murphy looks slow on film, what is strong attributes?

DevilHorns
07-18-2010, 03:06 PM

Speculation:

Thanks for the update. I have read some pieces on that long meeting with K that can only be a positive. Haven't heard about the connection with Shabazz and Caleb, so thanks for that. Perhaps we'll have some sort of domino effect with the class of 2012.

As for speculation; I have learned one thing from the recruitments of Hawashaunbwns and John Wall. Speculation is useless. I won't jump around until I read about 'ink to paper.'

I also like what I see on some youtube highlights... and what seems more promising to me is the very positive evaluation of this guy from most of the premier programs. That doesn't happen with all 'stud' recruits.

chrisheery
07-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Keep in mind that he has a brother at Florida and the Gators figure to be a significant player in his recruitment.

They would only overlap for one season, however. Of course, that also applies to Marshall and Miles Plumlee.

Yes, depending on how things play out with his brother this year, that may be good for Florida or for Duke. One could speculate that Erik's play last year might steer Alex our direction. That, however, is only speculation.

Azdukefan
07-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Murphy looks slow on film, what is strong attributes?

I can remember that being the knock on Kyle when he was coming out of high school as well. If he follows on the same path as Kyle we will be just fine (FF MOP)! :)

FWIW......someone tweeted that Murphy is morphing into Kyle!

verga
07-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Murphy is not slow, what Murphy is, is, a player with many skils. He reminds me more of Robbie Hummell right now than Singler. He can shoot pass and has a killer attitude (the good kind). If we're lucky enough to get Murphy and Muhammed, we'll be in great shape for another run.

Duvall
07-18-2010, 11:38 PM
It looks like we'll be talking about Alex Murphy for a while. Maybe we should generic up the thread title a bit.

should_be_working
07-19-2010, 10:07 AM
It looks like we'll be talking about Alex Murphy for a while. Maybe we should generic up the thread title a bit.

Yes please! When someone posted in this thread a few days ago and brought it back to the first page, I got really excited thinking maybe he had just committed.

CEF1959
07-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Could be almost two years before we know anything concrete. Best grab some popcorn and settle in for this one.

CoBlueDevil
07-20-2010, 03:08 PM
I was bored at work and decided to catch up on the Duke bashing that occurs on IC. One thread talks about Alex, and how it seems Duke and UNC are going to "duke" it out for this kid (no pun intended). One dude said he thinks Alex is a lock for us and that his name should really be Shavkelly Plumbzoubsgler. I laughed my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. off when I read that. Just thought I would share.