PDA

View Full Version : Four Devils Logo on home page?

HateCarolina
06-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know anything background, history on the four devils logo on the home page? My dad gave me a small felt banner of them and I have had it professionally framed to hang in my office (and make all of my Carolina mates annoyed). I am trying to find out when the logo was popular, etc. so that when people ask about it I can say more than "my dad gave it to me". He said that one of his clients gave it to him some time back in the 80's and its been sitting in his attic since (a little moth bitten, but still looks great).

Any info you guys can give me would be most appreciated.

-jk
06-19-2010, 06:05 PM
It's been around for ages. We had it as a window decal (back in the days when you had to soak it in water first) in the early 70's.

-jk

Lennies
06-19-2010, 06:58 PM
I took that picture from a suitcase that my aunt had when she went to Duke in the late 1950s. The website also rotates a picture (caped devil standing in red and yellow flames) I took from my dad's trunk. He graduated in 1958.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-19-2010, 07:34 PM
And now each one represents one men's National Championship in basketball! :cool:

HateCarolina
06-19-2010, 09:37 PM
And now each one represents one men's National Championship in basketball! :cool:

I think I will use that in my description when people ask...

PaIronDuke
06-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Julian is correct. We had the four devils as a car window decal in the very early '50's (I was '54), and I remember seeing it on a number of other cars on campus. There wasn't a large selection of logos at that time, and most were pretty simple. Football-wise, those were Duke-dominant days.........

ricks68
06-20-2010, 02:05 AM
I also had that decal for my car in the mid to late 60's.

ricks

weezie
06-20-2010, 09:12 PM
I'd rather have that logo on the piece of this year's championship floor that arrived here on Friday.
The least expensive offering really did turn out to be kind of lame. It's just a sticker on a chunk of floor. I'm glad to have it but it could have been so much nicer....