PDA

View Full Version : Beating up the media

Olympic Fan
06-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Really interesting column from Mitch Albom in the Detroit Free Press about how Tom Izzo's press conference announcing his decision to stay at Michigan State was marred by some childish attacks by Izzo and the MSU AD at the media:

http://www.freep.com/article/20100617/COL01/6170438/1082/rss12

Albom (a best selling author) makes a point that I've tried to make at times on this board that in today's world, it's impossible to seperate the legitimate media from the "new" media. When a coach or administrator gets mad at a print reporter for the things bloggers or sports talk shows do, it's pretty ridiculous.

I see that mistake a lot of times on this board ... often in situations where "Duke hate" is involved. If it's Doug Gottlieb or Steve Lavin on ESPN, that's one thing ... but when we get upset at something on the Bleacher Report or something that Bomani Jones says on a sports radio site, you're spitting against the wind.

Izzo and his boss were apparently guilty of that too. I just think we need to save our ire for professionals who behave unprofessionally and not waste it on fans who use the new media to spread their ignorance.

dukemsu
06-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Really interesting column from Mitch Albom in the Detroit Free Press about how Tom Izzo's press conference announcing his decision to stay at Michigan State was marred by some childish attacks by Izzo and the MSU AD at the media:

http://www.freep.com/article/20100617/COL01/6170438/1082/rss12

Albom (a best selling author) makes a point that I've tried to make at times on this board that in today's world, it's impossible to seperate the legitimate media from the "new" media. When a coach or administrator gets mad at a print reporter for the things bloggers or sports talk shows do, it's pretty ridiculous.

I see that mistake a lot of times on this board ... often in situations where "Duke hate" is involved. If it's Doug Gottlieb or Steve Lavin on ESPN, that's one thing ... but when we get upset at something on the Bleacher Report or something that Bomani Jones says on a sports radio site, you're spitting against the wind.

Izzo and his boss were apparently guilty of that too. I just think we need to save our ire for professionals who behave unprofessionally and not waste it on fans who use the new media to spread their ignorance.

I saw the PC, and was a bit uncomfortable with Izzo's, the AD's, and the President's shots at the media writ large. There was some stuff over the decision period that was out of bounds, to be sure. Izzo would have been wise to let it go, but he's hypersensitive and admits to listening to everything said and written about his program. Not his best trait.

Some of the stuff was a bit Inside Baseball between Izzo/MSU and several Detroit sportswriters, including Albom and the writer Izzo broadsided. MSU, true to its accused inferiority complex, doesn't appreciate it when high profile Detroit writers show up on campus when something bad is going on, and otherwise bury MSU on page 5, while UM is on the front page. Albom is virtually never in East Lansing, unless UM is playing there. That is the perception among MSU folks. There are degrees of truth to it, but it's overplayed.

Izzo is far friendlier with the national press than the local press. It's a bit similar to how I've perceived K's relationships with the media (from a distance) over the years. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

dukemsu

hurleyfor3
06-17-2010, 05:06 PM
I just think we need to save our ire for professionals who behave unprofessionally and not waste it on fans who use the new media to spread their ignorance.

I think we should not give a crap that other people hate us in the first place.

sagegrouse
06-17-2010, 06:00 PM
I think we should not give a crap that other people hate us in the first place.

Especially "that other people hate us [when we are] in ... first place."

sagegrouse