PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story 3 - early review

JasonEvans
06-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Saw a screening of the best movie of the summer a couple days ago. Wow!! What a wonderful flick. Absolutely worthy of the other two. I'll have more a little later, but if you want to hear my review on the radio, you can listen live to 790 The Zone in Atlanta (or online here) (http://www.790thezone.com/ListenLive/index.aspx) at 9:40am Thursday morning.

--Jason "the folks who made Shrek 4 will watch this film and weep" Evans

tommy
06-17-2010, 01:40 AM
What about its suitability for a 4 yr old? Our boy does not watch TV (except for the Devils, of course, and a few other select sporting events) and has a couple of videos for airplane rides, etc., but that's it. We don't do weapons, violent videos, superheroes, etc. at all. And we try to not expose him to stuff that will scare him at this age. And he has no experience with death at all, though he is familiar with the concept. He's been to one movie, last year -- Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs -- and did fine, but there was nothing really even remotely scary in that film. So in your opinion, is there stuff in this movie that will be scary to a 4 yr old?

dukeblue1206
06-17-2010, 09:23 AM
What about its suitability for a 4 yr old? Our boy does not watch TV (except for the Devils, of course, and a few other select sporting events) and has a couple of videos for airplane rides, etc., but that's it. We don't do weapons, violent videos, superheroes, etc. at all. And we try to not expose him to stuff that will scare him at this age. And he has no experience with death at all, though he is familiar with the concept. He's been to one movie, last year -- Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs -- and did fine, but there was nothing really even remotely scary in that film. So in your opinion, is there stuff in this movie that will be scary to a 4 yr old?

Here is a link to a pretty good site that breaks down all movies and gives details about violence, sex, and profanity in movies. It has not reviewed Toy Story 3 yet but usually does the week after it comes out. Just thought you might find it interesting. We use it from time to time.

http://www.kids-in-mind.com/

tommy
06-17-2010, 01:15 PM
That's an awesome site. So helpful. Thanks!

JasonEvans
06-17-2010, 05:45 PM
I think it is asking a lot of a 4-year-old to sit through any movie. Keeping the attention of a kid that age for 2 hours is a chore. What's more, IIRC from when my kids were that age, the temperments and attention-spans of 4YOs varry a great deal from child to child. A film that might work just fine for one 4YO might be a disaster for another... and it really has little to do with the film itself.

There are a couple somewhat scary moments in this film -- nothing too bad, but there is one character (a baby doll) that looks fairly menacing and creepy at times. I don't think any kid over the age of 6 or 7 would have a problem with it, but a 4YO might be a different story.

--Jason "this is a film for kids of all ages, that's for sure" Evans

JasonEvans
06-17-2010, 05:46 PM
By the way, if you missed my segment this morning, it is online here (http://www.790thezone.com/instantreplay/Episodes.aspx?PID=1345).

-Jason "it is impossible to get a word in with these radio hosts" Evans

bjornolf
06-18-2010, 08:39 AM
I think it is asking a lot of a 4-year-old to sit through any movie. Keeping the attention of a kid that age for 2 hours is a chore. What's more, IIRC from when my kids were that age, the temperments and attention-spans of 4YOs varry a great deal from child to child. A film that might work just fine for one 4YO might be a disaster for another... and it really has little to do with the film itself.

There are a couple somewhat scary moments in this film -- nothing too bad, but there is one character (a baby doll) that looks fairly menacing and creepy at times. I don't think any kid over the age of 6 or 7 would have a problem with it, but a 4YO might be a different story.

--Jason "this is a film for kids of all ages, that's for sure" Evans

That is SO true. My 4 year old LOVES scary movies. "Nightmare Before Christmas" is one of his all time favorites, and I'm sure that many 4 year olds would be terrified by that. He also like "How to Train Your Dragon" a lot, and all the Shrek movies. His friend, on the other hand, who has an older sister, is terrified of movies that my 4 year old just laughs at. My son's friend's sister is also scared of that kind of stuff (she's 7), so that probably influences him somewhat. My son has a 7 year old brother that loves that stuff, so, like I said, he's probably influenced by that. My point is just that Jason makes a great point. Two kids that grew up friends in the same neighborhood (my son's friend is almost 6 months older than he is, too) have such totally different reactions to different movies.

bjornolf
06-18-2010, 11:10 AM
I can't wait for Jason's in-depth review!

allenmurray
06-18-2010, 12:06 PM
That is SO true. My 4 year old LOVES scary movies. "Nightmare Before Christmas" is one of his all time favorites, and I'm sure that many 4 year olds would be terrified by that. He also like "How to Train Your Dragon" a lot, and all the Shrek movies. His friend, on the other hand, who has an older sister, is terrified of movies that my 4 year old just laughs at. My son's friend's sister is also scared of that kind of stuff (she's 7), so that probably influences him somewhat. My son has a 7 year old brother that loves that stuff, so, like I said, he's probably influenced by that. My point is just that Jason makes a great point. Two kids that grew up friends in the same neighborhood (my son's friend is almost 6 months older than he is, too) have such totally different reactions to different movies.

Actually that makes perfect developmental sense. What is "no big deal" to a 4 year old (who has a limited capacity to understand how the world works) can be incredibly firgtening to a 7 year old because of the 7 year olds' better understandng of danger and reality.

bjornolf
06-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Actually that makes perfect developmental sense. What is "no big deal" to a 4 year old (who has a limited capacity to understand how the world works) can be incredibly firgtening to a 7 year old because of the 7 year olds' better understandng of danger and reality.

Then why is his friend of the same age terrified? I figured it was more the influence of the older siblings. My son has a 7 year old brother that likes that stuff. His friend has a 7 year old sister that's scared of everything. The funniest example of that is the bathroom. My daughter, who is 2, is around two brothers all the time, and she insists on standing to pee. My son's friend, who is around his sister and mom all the time, insists that the ONLY way to pee is sitting down. He won't even LOOK at a urinal, and insists that it's a small potty for babies.

weezie
06-18-2010, 06:19 PM
The funniest example of that is the bathroom. My daughter, who is 2, is around two brothers all the time, and she insists on standing to pee. My son's friend, who is around his sister and mom all the time, insists that the ONLY way to pee is sitting down. He won't even LOOK at a urinal, and insists that it's a small potty for babies.

Now that really is funny. Your daughter might be developing a very handy skill and the other little boy is welcome to come over to my house any time! ;)
It's been a long time since I had little kids around...I miss them! :)

bjornolf
06-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Now that really is funny. Your daughter might be developing a very handy skill and the other little boy is welcome to come over to my house any time! ;)
It's been a long time since I had little kids around...I miss them! :)

The scary thing is, she's actually very good at it. She sticks her little fists behind her hips and cants her hips way forward so the pee actually does go forward. It's pretty hysterical to watch. And she's SO proud of herself! :D

allenmurray
06-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Then why is his friend of the same age terrified? I figured it was more the influence of the older siblings. My son has a 7 year old brother that likes that stuff. His friend has a 7 year old sister that's scared of everything. The funniest example of that is the bathroom. My daughter, who is 2, is around two brothers all the time, and she insists on standing to pee. My son's friend, who is around his sister and mom all the time, insists that the ONLY way to pee is sitting down. He won't even LOOK at a urinal, and insists that it's a small potty for babies.

I'm not discounting the influence of siblings. Just in general there are a lot of things that are not frightening to a 4 year olds (becuase they do not know yet to be firghtened) that are frightening to a more mature child. After all, there are some things that it is good (in the Darwinian sense) to be afraid of! I want my kids to be afraid to walk across I-85. A seven year old will be afraid. A three year old might be oblivious to the danger.

mph
06-19-2010, 09:24 PM
We went to see Toy Story 3 with another family this afternoon and all of the children really enjoyed the movie. Two of the children are 4, two are six, and while there were some intense scenes, none of the children were especially frightened. There's a good mix of slapstick comedy that had my kids belly laughing and some emotionally poignant moments for the adults. It was easily the best movie I've seen in this otherwise disappointing summer season.

darthur
06-20-2010, 04:24 AM
We went to see Toy Story 3 with another family this afternoon and all of the children really enjoyed the movie. Two of the children are 4, two are six, and while there were some intense scenes, none of the children were especially frightened. There's a good mix of slapstick comedy that had my kids belly laughing and some emotionally poignant moments for the adults. It was easily the best movie I've seen in this otherwise disappointing summer season.

I watched it opening night in a theater mostly full of adults. Pretty much everyone loved it as far as I could tell. I don't think it quite tops the Incredibles or Wall-E for me, but it is my favorite of the Toy Storys, and I thought the ending was an absolutely magical way to end the series.

This and How To Train Your Dragon have been easily my two favorite movies of the year. Apparently I'm a kid at heart. :)

Farlan
06-20-2010, 06:48 PM
I also saw TS3 opening day and thought it was great! Best of the three movies and some parts really tug at your heartstrings. Maybe sequels aren't so bad afterall!

JasonEvans
06-21-2010, 02:17 PM
So, who else had tears rolling down your cheeks when (scroll over for spoiler text) Andy was giving the toys away to the little girl (Bonnie)?

I did think the film got off to a slow start. I was really worried about where it was going and what the story would be for about the first 20 minutes. The attic vs. the trash can was not a storyline that had me enthralled and when Woody and Jessie were squabbling over whether to go back to Andy or stay in what appeared to be a good situation at daycare... well, lets just say that I was in near panic at that point that this would turn out well. I am obviously relieved to report that my panic was injustified. Someone punch me the next time I doubt the folks at Pixar.

I am glad so many people are enjoying this film. It is a wonderful one.

--Jason "EW has a poll about crying in Toy Story 3 - 83% of folks say they did" Evans

allenmurray
06-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Simply brilliant.

Big Pappa
06-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Absolutely great movie and I'm not going to lie, I had a few rolling down during that scene. Of course, I played it off with a cough and a head itch so my wife didn't notice.

Really great movie and great storyline.

So, who else had tears rolling down your cheeks when (scroll over for spoiler text) Andy was giving the toys away to the little girl (Bonnie)?

I did think the film got off to a slow start. I was really worried about where it was going and what the story would be for about the first 20 minutes. The attic vs. the trash can was not a storyline that had me enthralled and when Woody and Jessie were squabbling over whether to go back to Andy or stay in what appeared to be a good situation at daycare... well, lets just say that I was in near panic at that point that this would turn out well. I am obviously relieved to report that my panic was injustified. Someone punch me the next time I doubt the folks at Pixar.

I am glad so many people are enjoying this film. It is a wonderful one.

--Jason "EW has a poll about crying in Toy Story 3 - 83% of folks say they did" Evans

soccerstud2210
06-29-2010, 07:01 AM
loved it. i don't know if i rank it about the original but it was definitely up there is not better than the other two. great plot. and i do agree with you jason, it was slow at first, but once you saw where they were headed i thought it was great. i am pretty sure i laughed more than most of the kids in there.

i didn't cry, but i think it probably was because everyone told me i was going to cry in the movie and i was expecting it, but it definitely tugs on the hearts strings a good bit

well done pixar!

bjornolf
07-04-2010, 06:36 AM
We went and saw it over the weekend. I didn't cry, because I saw it coming and was forewarned. However, my dad cried. We all loved it, from 66 year old Pop-Pop down to 2 year old Katie (first movie she's actually sat through the whole thing). We highly recommend it.

Udaman
07-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Saw it yesterday. Best movie of the summer (by far). Best movie of the year in my opinion as well.

This amazing film covers everything - childhood, growing up, abandonment, letting go, facing death, friendship, love. Everything. It was a wonderful, wonderful movie. This one not only should be nominated for best picture...given what's come out thus far to date, it would be the winner (of course, there are lots of movies left to come out).

And yes, I choked up at the end. Especially when

spoiler below

The little girl held Woody's hand and waved at Andy, and he gasped out with sadness and love at the memory of his childhood waving goodbye. Brilliant.

This, to me, is the best Toy Story and now my favorite Pixar movie. It is simply incredible what they have done with every single show they have developed.

Wow.