PDA

View Full Version : Yet more criminality from "student athletes"

4decadedukie
06-16-2010, 01:19 PM
A sophomore football player at Florida State, Ed Imeokparia, has been charged with grand theft.

sagegrouse
06-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Here's the article (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/seminoles/fsu-reserve-defensive-back-ed-imeokparia-arrested-on-750892.html) on the FSU player, Ed Imeokparia.

sagegrouse

uh_no
06-16-2010, 01:45 PM
A sophomore football player at Florida State, Ed Imeokparia, has been charged with grand theft.

what does his status as an athlete or student have anything to do with his criminal status?

do non-athletes never commit crimes? if an athlete does commit a crime does this mean he is not a student?

i'm confused about what you're trying to imply here

please explain

allenmurray
06-16-2010, 02:04 PM
what does his status as an athlete or student have anything to do with his criminal status?

do non-athletes never commit crimes? if an athlete does commit a crime does this mean he is not a student?

please explain

I'll give it a try. A student on full scholarship (tuition, room, board, books) is receiving something of great value. If he is at a state university he is getting it both through the generoisty of donors and via the taxes of that state's residents (at a private university it is only through the generosity of donors.

Once you accept this scholarship, worth as much as $200,000 over the course of your career, you obligate yourself to be a representative of that university. If you don't want that responsibility then don't take the scholarship. If you do you should hold yourself to a standard of personal behavior that does not embarass your benefactor.

mgtr
06-16-2010, 02:07 PM
I'll give it a try. A student on full scholarship (tuition, room, board, books) is receiving something of great value. If he is at a state university he is getting it both through the generoisty of donors and via the taxes of that state's residents (at a private university it is only through the generosity of donors.

Once you accept this scholarship, worth as much as $200,000 over the course of your career, you obligate yourself to be a representative of that university. If you don't want that responsibility then don't take the scholarship. If you do you should hold yourself to a standard of personal behavior that does not embarass your benefactor.

Very well thought out and stated!

4decadedukie
06-16-2010, 02:07 PM
In addition to Allen's fine response, the simple fact of ingratitude for the generosity being provided by donors and taxpayers plus the stupidity to risk an excellent future (resourced by others) through criminal behavior.

sagegrouse
06-16-2010, 02:11 PM

please explain

No special meaning. This is a sports board for an ACC school, and the accused is an ACC athlete.

If this were a classical scholars board, it would be irrelevant, but a sex crime by the Chair of the Classical Greek department at FSU would be front page news.

sagegrouse

jipops
06-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Whatever happened to Crime Beat with a photo of our favorite guy Makhtar Ndiaye?

cspan37421
06-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Whatever happened to waiting for a conviction before declaring "yet more criminality"?

JMO - imagine if the guy played FB for Duke. Would you be so quick to assume he's guilty as charged?

SupaDave
06-16-2010, 04:50 PM

EVERYTHING Allen said and some of what the rest of you guys said. Based on reading the article this could easily be that the kid simply got caught with a "hot" phone. Not entirely unusual for a kid who goes back to reality once the summer starts.

This reminds me of all the football players who got caught with phone cards back in the 90s - which cell phones all but eliminated the need for unless you're making international calls.

I think this will play out quite quietly. We've seen this before - at FSU at that... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Warrick

sagegrouse
06-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Where are you, Mr. Fly in the Stall, now that we really need you?

sagegrouse

4decadedukie
06-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Whatever happened to waiting for a conviction before declaring "yet more criminality"?

I agree, and after my post was submitted and the time for edits had expired, I reread it and wished I had inserted the appropriate words re "alleged" and "if true."

BlueThru&Thru
06-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Just noticed the picture. Nice MG-B.