PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Smith note from The Poop Sheet

Nugget
06-16-2010, 01:10 PM
I assume others have seen it, but the recent edition of the ACC Sports Journal has a telling tidbit about Nolan Smith that gives a window on how all of us would be better off in thinking about either NBA go/no-go or recruiting decisions.

They quote Nolan as saying that, despite his early, emphatic statements that he would be coming back, after the NCAA tournament he did, indeed, consider going (the reporter characterizes this as a "smokescreen"). Nolan essentially acknowledges as much, in a direct quote:

"I also had meetings with Coach K. I was also thinking about (the NBA). It just made it easier for me, not having to deal with all the questioning every day, be letting them know I was coming back. If I had to change my mind, I would have done that."

I find Nolan's candor refreshing. But, more importantly, it is a stark reminder to me of 2 things:

1. People who react to comments like the ones Nolan made early on that he was coming back as ironclad promises are deluding themselves --nothing a player says makes any difference until there is a deadline or a press conference; and

2. People who claim that players who say they are coming back but then go (or, do something like what Barnes did in his recruitment) are "liars," are going massively overboard -- sometimes someone just changes his mind.

kong123
06-16-2010, 01:37 PM
If a UNC player had done it, this board would be calling him a liar and giving multiple negative thoughts on why he left. If Nolan would have done it, UNC folks would say the exact same thing. I hope that we can all get passed saying such things based on the color of blue we support, but I doubt it.

roywhite
06-16-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm glad Nolan is coming back, and I think it was a good decision, which is based on my perception that he can further develop his game under Coach K this year and improve his draft position and readiness for the pro game.

But, really, the early entry stuff has been around for such a long time now that I don't count on much. How could we be upset with a guy that played for our school for 3 years and was a key part of a national championship if he decided to go to the NBA?

Yes, the lure of achieving a life-long dream of playing in the NBA and making a lot of money soon is a powerful thing, and probably even more so in Nolan's case with the strong example of his dad and his early death. Returning to school is a pretty good option, too.

sagegrouse
06-16-2010, 01:55 PM
If a UNC player had done it, this board would be calling him a liar and giving multiple negative thoughts on why he left. If Nolan would have done it, UNC folks would say the exact same thing. I hope that we can all get passed saying such things based on the color of blue we support, but I doubt it.

I don't know about others, but I consider it a demonstration of character and principle when a good UNC player decides to leave for the NBA. :)

sagegrouse

superdave
06-16-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't know about others, but I consider it a demonstration of character and principle when a good UNC player decides to leave for the NBA. :)

sagegrouse

Or an indictment of Roy!

Nolan could be ACC POY this year and AA. He will have some running mates and wont have to eb the one-man fast break anymore.

Kdogg
06-16-2010, 02:55 PM

Sean May did it and this board did no such thing. Also Mike Dunleavy did it and the reaction of the same.

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-16-2010, 03:44 PM

You don't seem to be thinking about this clearly. Or maybe you're fishing. Why would the respective fan bases say anything negative about a player wearing the other color blue who changes his mind and leaves for the NBA? On the contrary, there are parties to celebrate this sort of decision. I agree with the original sentiment that we should all be careful not to read too much into the statements kids make and that we should respect their decisions whatever they may be.

You could probably say something similar about decisions to transfer. Why make this about the color blue we Wear?

Bluedevil114
06-16-2010, 03:46 PM
I assume others have seen it, but the recent edition of the ACC Sports Journal has a telling tidbit about Nolan Smith that gives a window on how all of us would be better off in thinking about either NBA go/no-go or recruiting decisions.

They quote Nolan as saying that, despite his early, emphatic statements that he would be coming back, after the NCAA tournament he did, indeed, consider going (the reporter characterizes this as a "smokescreen"). Nolan essentially acknowledges as much, in a direct quote:

"I also had meetings with Coach K. I was also thinking about (the NBA). It just made it easier for me, not having to deal with all the questioning every day, be letting them know I was coming back. If I had to change my mind, I would have done that."

I find Nolan's candor refreshing. But, more importantly, it is a stark reminder to me of 2 things:

1. People who react to comments like the ones Nolan made early on that he was coming back as ironclad promises are deluding themselves --nothing a player says makes any difference until there is a deadline or a press conference; and

2. People who claim that players who say they are coming back but then go (or, do something like what Barnes did in his recruitment) are "liars," are going massively overboard -- sometimes someone just changes his mind.

Greg Monroe from Georgetown said he was coming back right after he lost to Ohio in NCAA Tournament. I knew there was no way he was coming back when he was projected to go in the top eight.

DevilHorns
06-16-2010, 04:02 PM
You could probably say something similar about decisions to transfer. Why make this about the color blue we Wear?

I see what you did there, and I like it!

WiJoe
06-16-2010, 06:18 PM

two words when ANY unc player leaves: good riddance

AZLA
06-16-2010, 08:56 PM
When a player says they plan on coming back, I don't take that as a binding contract. Circumstances change and an individual has the right to change his mind -- especially if they are making decisions for the betterment of their careers. Personally, I was disapointed when Dunleavy left early because I felt he was giving up too much (Duke degree; possible NPOY; jersey retired; Duke fandom immortality; run at a championship). But, at the same time, I respect his final decision even if he appeared to have changed his mind. He's had a decent NBA career.

Kfanarmy
06-16-2010, 10:41 PM

sagegrouse

I think the Bible addresses this, something like-- they saw the light and it was good, God separated them from the darkness. Not sure that is 100%, but I think the situation is seriously righteous.

MCFinARL
06-17-2010, 08:36 AM
When a player says they plan on coming back, I don't take that as a binding contract. Circumstances change and an individual has the right to change his mind -- especially if they are making decisions for the betterment of their careers. Personally, I was disapointed when Dunleavy left early because I felt he was giving up too much (Duke degree; possible NPOY; jersey retired; Duke fandom immortality; run at a championship). But, at the same time, I respect his final decision even if he appeared to have changed his mind. He's had a decent NBA career.

According to his NBA bio, he actually got his degree, finishing his work in the summer of 2005. Incidentally, he also found a wife at Duke, though he didn't marry her until 2008--Sarah Crotty (older sister of lax star Ned). So while he may well have missed a chance at hoops accomplishments, maybe he didn't miss that much off the basketball court by leaving early.;)

AZLA
06-17-2010, 02:40 PM
According to his NBA bio, he actually got his degree, finishing his work in the summer of 2005. Incidentally, he also found a wife at Duke, though he didn't marry her until 2008--Sarah Crotty (older sister of lax star Ned). So while he may well have missed a chance at hoops accomplishments, maybe he didn't miss that much off the basketball court by leaving early.;)

Thanks for providing this good info. The off the court accomplishments often mean more in the big picture.

elvis14
06-17-2010, 03:06 PM

I'm offended that you even mentioned Barnes in the same thread as Nolan Smith.

sagegrouse
06-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Personally, I was disapointed when Dunleavy left early because I felt he was giving up too much (Duke degree; possible NPOY; jersey retired; Duke fandom immortality; run at a championship). But, at the same time, I respect his final decision even if he appeared to have changed his mind. He's had a decent NBA career.

He didn't necessarily change his mind. It turned out, to his huge surprise, that he was going to be taken in the top three picks of the 2002 NBA draft. His discussion of being a "four-year guy" was not totally a commitment to play college that long but the expectation that he would have to mature physically over that time before being ready for the NBA.

As the #3 pick, it was more likely that another year would hurt rather than help his draft status.

Even then, he agonized over the decision.

sagegrouse