PDA

View Full Version : Point Guard stay in school

tecumseh
05-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Did anyone see that Seb Telfair the next great NYC point guard is out of the league already. He is another poster child for going to college. I think it is really dicey for point guards to do a one and done (cause they can no longer skip college). He really needed work on his shooting and D..

kydevil
05-25-2007, 09:16 AM
People tried to talk him out of it due to the fact they knew his game wasn't ready, but he needed the money for his family!

phaedrus
05-25-2007, 10:45 AM
money for his family? isn't he stephon marbury's cousin?

kydevil
05-25-2007, 02:59 PM
money for his family? isn't he stephon marbury's cousin?

He had multiple # of siblings, I just recall watching "through the fire" the show he had on espn and in one of the episodes he was talking about needing the money to support his family.

Im sure though with the "Starbury" line out Marbury has plenty of money to dish! :D

JasonEvans
05-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Where did you see that Telfair was out of the league? I know Boston is virtually certain to not pick up his option year, but what makes you say he will not catch on with some other team? He has not been a star, by any stretch, but he started games for the Celts this past season and I suspect someone will take a flier on him. He is still very young.

Lets assume for a second that he is not back in the league next year. Lets go so far as to assume that he does not play with a European team either-- he is just 100% out of basketball. Well, if that is case he still has more than $5 million of NBA salary and a few million more from his Addidas for hs endorsement deal (which was far bigger than the usual rookie endorsement contract).

I am sure he has spent a lot of his booty, but he is likely still pretty rich.

The only way to know if he made a good or bad move is to know how he would have done in college -- would he have improved his stock and his play enough to be a long-term NBA player and higher draft pick or would he have been not as good as advertised and perhaps never been drafted? Seeing as wee cannot know that, it is hard to say if he was smart to strike while the iron was hot or if he blew his big chance.

-Jason "FWIW, I bet he is on a NBA roster on opening day this fall" Evans