PDA

View Full Version : Coach K on Nightline

Big Pappa
06-09-2010, 12:46 AM
It just came on after Game 3 and my local news. Great opening about Coach K's respect for Wooden and how Coach k called him not only the gold standard of a coach, but the gold standard of a human being. The newscaster then said that torch has now passed to Coach K.

Great interview and some nice history. I honestly never get tired of listening to him speak.

Billy Dat
06-09-2010, 08:06 AM
I, too, always like to catch as many K interviews as possible but 'Nightline' felt like "K for Dummies". But, it was for a national news audience so I guess that's what I should have expected. Kind of a yawner.

diveonthefloor
06-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Well, it may have been a "yawner" but this is this first time I remember someone flatly asking K if he would ever ever ever coach in the NBA, and the first time I remember him saying no, never, no, never right into the camera.

I loved it.

NashvilleDevil
06-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Well, it may have been a "yawner" but this is this first time I remember someone flatly asking K if he would ever ever ever coach in the NBA, and the first time I remember him saying no, never, no, never right into the camera.

I loved it.

Favorite part was the the shot of Coach K with that wild hair when he was holding one of his baby girls. Bring that hair back coach!

Verga3
06-09-2010, 09:13 PM
What a great, albeit short, interview. http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/mike-krzyzewski-duke-basketball-coach-fans-love-hate/story?id=10849629

We are so very fortunate to have this kind of man leading our basketball program. His total impact at Duke is hard to fathom.

Almost forgot...If we could just get a karaoke rendition of "Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me" (Gladys Knight and the Pips) out of him one day....

4decadedukie
06-10-2010, 11:33 AM
I am pleased to read that the Nightline broadcast was favorable; I was unable to view it, however, if did read the companion ABC News piece (http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/mike...ry?id=10849629), which I found somewhat insulting to Coach K, in one respect. Specifically, its second paragraph sated:

“Krzyzewski is that man, but there's a lot sports fans might not know about the infamous head coach -- besides the spelling of his mind-boggling last-name.”

I may be a perfectionist concerning appropriate English, but the word “infamous” hardly seems appropriate for an individual who is being lauded.

UrinalCake
06-10-2010, 12:31 PM
I may be a perfectionist concerning appropriate English, but the word “infamous” hardly seems appropriate for an individual who is being lauded.

Oh, Dusty. Infamous is when you're MORE than famous. This man El Guapo, he's not just famous, he's IN-famous.

4decadedukie
06-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Oh, Dusty. Infamous is when you're MORE than famous. This man El Guapo, he's not just famous, he's IN-famous.

Unfortunately, that simply is not what the word means (which is why I offered my earlier comment). Merriam-Webster provides the following three definitions:
1) Having a reputation of the worst kind - notoriously evil
2) Causing or bringing infamy - disgraceful
3) Convicted of an offense bringing infamy

So please explain to me, "UrinalCake," how or why this latter-day definition is correct?

OldPhiKap
06-10-2010, 10:39 PM

Juan, would you say that I have a plethora of pinatas?