PDA

View Full Version : "Order" shirts everywhere at K Academy, where's mine?

jhole
06-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I just looked thru the photos of this year's K Academy and there were several shots with the "order has been restored" shirts with the official Nike logo, and even in white w/ blue and blue with white. My apologies if so, but did I miss something or are these now for sale on campus or elsewhere?

Example w/ Will Avery in blue (http://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com/2010-11/Players/K-Academy-Day-4-5/12468607_R6gmm#893262473_cK4Hp)

Example in white (http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2010-11/Players/K-Academy-VIII/12434421_qhmi9#890107546_zU9Yo)

chrisheery
06-08-2010, 05:38 PM
I just looked thru the photos of this year's K Academy and there were several shots with the "order has been restored" shirts with the official Nike logo, and even in white w/ blue and blue with white. My apologies if so, but did I miss something or are these now for sale on campus or elsewhere?

Example w/ Will Avery in blue (http://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com/2010-11/Players/K-Academy-Day-4-5/12468607_R6gmm#893262473_cK4Hp)

Example in white (http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2010-11/Players/K-Academy-VIII/12434421_qhmi9#890107546_zU9Yo)

You mean Sean Dockery?

airowe
06-08-2010, 06:18 PM
A certain coach at a certain school will not allow these shirts to be printed for the public as he feels it will give Duke and Coach K an unfair recruiting advantage.

WiJoe
06-08-2010, 06:31 PM
A certain coach at a certain school will not allow these shirts to be printed for the public as he feels it will give Duke and Coach K an unfair recruiting advantage.

I would hope you're not serious

:eek:

blueduke59
06-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I would hope you're not serious

:eek:

He's serious. Why else would the shirts not be widely available? Annoying too as I want one

BleedsP287
06-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Spreadshirt had them, http://www.spreadshirt.com

But I just checked and seems they are no longer available.

There are tons of places to make your own shirts online, that's probably the easiest way to get one, not all that expensive. The only worry I guess is the trademark or other intellectual property rights, but I'm not aware that the "order has been restored" phrase is copyrighted, and who really needs the swoosh...

jhole
06-08-2010, 08:53 PM
You mean Sean Dockery?

Was multitasking at work today, thanks for the catch...still want the shirt tho.

njpduke
06-08-2010, 10:31 PM
He's serious. Why else would the shirts not be widely available? Annoying too as I want one

It's true according to Dock on Twitter (unless he's being sarcastic).

On my way to the airport! It's been great Durham NC! Btw check out the best T-Shirt EVER! ~~~> http://yfrog.com/5btzfkj
http://twitter.com/Sean_Dockery/status/15581180867

Okay Im getting mad tweets about the Duke T-Shirt I posted early 2day! I'm sorry that T- Shirt will nvr b in stores Duke fans! : (
http://twitter.com/Sean_Dockery/status/15598586429

#True story RT @TRacsTitans31 @Sean_Dockery I heard it's because Roy Williams complained 2 Nike that it would give Duke an edge in recruiting
http://twitter.com/Sean_Dockery/status/15599486869

Class of '94
06-08-2010, 10:42 PM

If this is really true, it shows you how obsessed he is with the Duke program. Unfair advantage??!?? Give me a break! He's just jealous that he didn't think of the slogan for UNC first.

Mike Corey
06-08-2010, 10:45 PM
It's not because he thinks it will give Duke an unfair advantage; it's because he thinks its offensive that the slogan wasn't used after dUNCe won it all a year ago.

cspan37421
06-08-2010, 10:54 PM
If this is really true, it shows you how obsessed he is with the Duke program. Unfair advantage??!?? Give me a break! He's just jealous that he didn't think of the slogan for UNC first.

You took the words right out of my ... keyboard. I'll add this - if he's really worried about this, he's not the right guy for UNC, 2 NCs or not. He is self-absorbed and petty to such a pathetic degree that Dean Smith will turn over in his Select Comfort Sleep Number (c) bed.

And to think I thought that the complaining coach must have been from Oregon.

oldnavy
06-09-2010, 06:51 AM
Wait... Roy is whining about Duke getting an unfair recruiting advantage? This is precious considering how cocky he was just a few months ago when he signed Prince Harry!! My how the worm has turned!!

Just for that reason alone, I am going to have one of those shirts made!! Unbelievable!!

Lord Ash
06-09-2010, 07:06 AM
You know, if UNC has a contract with Nike, if I were Roy I'd be a bit miffed too.

Having said that, I totally want one of those:( I wonder how many Duke got? A thousand?

jdj4duke
06-09-2010, 07:36 AM
It's hard to believe that even Ol' Roy would or could make enough stink with Nike to get the shirt canned. This sounds like a rumor that became a tweet that became more or less an urban legend.

I suppose there will be no way to validate it unless K were to comment, which of course he never will. I suppose the fair turnabout would be to protest all the M. Jordan bleed over into UNC and Nike gear. But recalling the fabulous 25th anniversary silver uni's that the Heels donned back during the season, I would hate to think that we might not have the chance to see and wonder at their future fashion statements.

airowe
06-09-2010, 07:43 AM
It's hard to believe that even Ol' Roy would or could make enough stink with Nike to get the shirt canned. This sounds like a rumor that became a tweet that became more or less an urban legend.

This is most definitely not a rumor. Unc sells a lot of Nike gear and they have that guy who used to play basketball for them but now flies around on airplanes with a Hitler moustache on their side. He's got some pull with Nike.

jdj4duke
06-09-2010, 08:14 AM
This is most definitely not a rumor. Unc sells a lot of Nike gear and they have that guy who used to play basketball for them but now flies around on airplanes with a Hitler moustache on their side. He's got some pull with Nike.

OK- I am now suitably outraged. And Roy has slipped further into punkdom. No wonder he never seems to be the subject of NBA rumors. What a weenie. And his l'il buddy MJ for that matter!

It seems clear that an underground shirt network should develop. Dudgeon is high this morning.

camion
06-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Roy was asked to restore order at UNC last year, but he declined. :p

Class of '94
06-09-2010, 12:06 PM
It would be really cool if the folks going to the Carolina game at Cameron this upcoming year showed up wearing bootleg copies of the shirt just to rub it in and get under Roy's skin.

airowe
06-09-2010, 12:11 PM
It would be really cool if the folks going to the Carolina game at Cameron this upcoming year showed up wearing bootleg copies of the shirt just to rub it in and get under Roy's skin.

The vitriol will be turned up quite a bit when Prince Harry and the NITs show up next year.

DevilWolf
06-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I will now be bringing a sign to pass down to the student section that will have the UNC logo and the NIT logo with the phrase "Order Has Been Restored" on it.

allenmurray
06-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Roy was asked to restore order at UNC last year, but he declined. :p

He thought they wanted him to restore odor. He did. They stunk.

coldriver10
06-09-2010, 01:45 PM
I will now be bringing a sign to pass down to the student section that will have the UNC logo and the NIT logo with the phrase "Order Has Been Restored" on it.
Win!

WiJoe
06-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Guess I'm going to have to find someone to make that shirt.

:cool:

blueduke59
06-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Why wouldn't the Air Jordan logo be an unfair recruiting advantage? Or Stuart Scott reminding us all "I went to UNC and we're the bomb!" every chance he gets on Sportscenter broadcasts?

oldnavy
06-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Why wouldn't the Air Jordan logo be an unfair recruiting advantage? Or Stuart Scott reminding us all "I went to UNC and we're the bomb!" every chance he gets on Sportscenter broadcasts?

It would be. What we have to try and understand is that tarheels do not see things the way others do. In their minds it all revolves around them, Duke is the premier evil force in world, and K is essentially the anti-christ (I actually had a person tell me that once with a strait face). So, never mind all the things that go in UNC's favor - a Nike tee shirt with a Duke endorsement on it would be, sniff - sniff, UNFAIR!! :(

Kewlswim
06-10-2010, 01:08 PM
It would be. What we have to try and understand is that tarheels do not see things the way others do. In their minds it all revolves around them, Duke is the premier evil force in world, and K is essentially the anti-christ (I actually had a person tell me that once with a strait face). So, never mind all the things that go in UNC's favor - a Nike tee shirt with a Duke endorsement on it would be, sniff - sniff, UNFAIR!! :(

Hi,

I had some guy in the gym (who went to Penn State) tell me, with a straight face, "It is pretty widely known that Coach K does a lot of bad things." Here endth the quote because I can't remember the following words, I was dumbfounded, but it was something like, "He hits his players and gets away with it." He does? Show me proof!! Oh, sayeth the PSU rooter, "Yes, the NCAA is in his back pocket so he can get away with [it]." I think this kid must have a relative at UNC.

GO DUKE!

PS It is also like some people believe Coach K "brainwashes" his players because if he didn't nobody would like him? Did he brainwash the U.S. Olympic team too? Just asking.

superdave
06-10-2010, 04:41 PM
CIS should orchestrate a large "WAAAHHHHHHHH! WAHHHHH!" cheer for Roy's introduction next year.

Since when does Nike ask anyone permission to print a tshirt? I doubt they sent Roy the mockups to review....he almost had to have initiated this whine on his own.

airowe
06-10-2010, 04:44 PM
CIS should orchestrate a large "WAAAHHHHHHHH! WAHHHHH!" cheer for Roy's introduction next year.

Since when does Nike ask anyone permission to print a tshirt? I doubt they sent Roy the mockups to review....he almost had to have initiated this whine on his own.

There was an ad with this slogan in the SI immediately after the National Title. I'm sure someone close to the unc program read it...

Turk
06-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Hi,

I had some guy in the gym (who went to Penn State) tell me, with a straight face, "It is pretty widely known that Coach K does a lot of bad things." Here endth the quote because I can't remember the following words, I was dumbfounded, but it was something like, "He hits his players and gets away with it." He does? Show me proof!! Oh, sayeth the PSU rooter, "Yes, the NCAA is in his back pocket so he can get away with [it]." I think this kid must have a relative at UNC.

GO DUKE!

PS It is also like some people believe Coach K "brainwashes" his players because if he didn't nobody would like him? Did he brainwash the U.S. Olympic team too? Just asking.

LOL! It's pretty widely known that Penn State does not compete in basketball, so I'd dismiss that person's crying as sour grapes. (Penn State gets credit in my book for football, volleyball, and ice cream). On the other hand, JoePa is not immune from criticism his ownself. He has perfected a rare blend of "holier than thou" and "grumpy old man" moralizing, while his recent players have annual felonious encounters with State College law enforcement. I wonder how many of them have the local bail bondsman on speed dial. Your friend must be bitter that everyone thinks JoePa should retire while K shows no signs of slowing down...

DukieBoy
06-11-2010, 01:24 AM
I recall seeing Air Jordan UNC apparel. How is this any different? That obviously creates a recruiting edge for UNC. Hypocrites

cspan37421
06-11-2010, 05:56 AM
I recall seeing Air Jordan UNC apparel. How is this any different? That obviously creates a recruiting edge for UNC. Hypocrites

Yep, they've been milking that Nike/MJ connection for decades now. I guess they feel so entitled (ha!) that they cannot abide a simple tip of the hat from Nike to Duke.

jdj4duke
06-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Accepting of course that UNC is a bunch of whiny, spoiled little Air Jordan hypocrites who cannot stand anyone from outside their own little parochial universe, my special indignation goes out to Nike for apparently rolling over like a craven dog. Did they really think that they put significant UNC business or revenue in jeopardy over a shirt (the recruiting advantage hypothesis being just nonsense)?

Even assuming that a single little textile product would tip the scales toward Durham (again, nonsense) since when did Nike become the paragon of reason? I can only imagine the discussions around the Nike executive boardroom about whether or not Franklin Street would open up and swallow the Dean Dome if the Order shirt hit the shelves.

It is still difficult to believe that UNC made a fuss over this, and that Nike actually would bend over in response when clearly neither the Heels nor Nike nor Mr. Air Jordan and his royalties would suffer in the least from a tee shirt whose target audience would already be established. It looks like UNC has successfully franchised their weenie-dom to Oregon.

duke79
06-11-2010, 10:28 PM
If true, just another reason to boycott Nike products !!

mattman91
06-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Whiny little (female dog). Screw him. We have an unfair recruiting advantage alright...and it's not because of a (insert explicit word here) shirt. Our unfair recruiting advantage is that we have the greatest coach in college sports, the greatest arena in college sports, and the most national exposure in the nation.

Id like to have a shirt that says " 2+2=4...Roy+dean=k"

airowe
06-11-2010, 10:39 PM
It's not because he thinks it will give Duke an unfair advantage; it's because he thinks its offensive that the slogan wasn't used after dUNCe won it all a year ago.

Mike was right when he said this, by the way. This guy is a lot smarter than me... :cool:

ChrisP
06-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Whiny little (female dog). Screw him. We have an unfair recruiting advantage alright...and it's not because of a (insert explicit word here) shirt. Our unfair recruiting advantage is that we have the greatest coach in college sports, the greatest arena in college sports, and the most national exposure in the nation.

Id like to have a shirt that says " 2+2=4...Roy+dean=k"

I like the sentiment, but..dude, didn't you ever learn that two wrongs DON'T make a right? :D

Jim3k
06-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Hi,

GO DUKE!

The proper answer to that is: "You've been misinformed. No player has ever made that accusation and no one has ever seen it occur. Besides, the NCAA doesn't enforce such issues -- only the schools can...Oh...and when was the last time PSU made the Tourney?...Thought so." Then walk away, shaking your head sadly.

mattman91
06-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I like the sentiment, but..dude, didn't you ever learn that two wrongs DON'T make a right? :D

Dang...didn't think of that, your right. :D

Kewlswim
06-12-2010, 02:23 PM
The proper answer to that is: "You've been misinformed. No player has ever made that accusation and no one has ever seen it occur. Besides, the NCAA doesn't enforce such issues -- only the schools can...Oh...and when was the last time PSU made the Tourney?...Thought so." Then walk away, shaking your head sadly.

Jim,

I will next time. I guess I was really dumbfounded that time and didn't know what to say or even how to react. I know Coach K can get salty with his language, but hitting someone...wow. I bet he has grabbed a kid and yelled at him, but HIT...I mean who even thinks this stuff up?

GO DUKE!

Reilly
06-13-2010, 01:52 PM
T-shirts are sort of last century, aren't they? I thought folks touted messages via the web these days. To that end:

http://orderhasbeenrestored.com/

ReformedAggie
06-13-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm last century too, and love wearing my Order Has Been Restored T-shirt. Bite me Roy.

jimsumner
06-13-2010, 04:27 PM
"LOL! It's pretty widely known that Penn State does not compete in basketball"

You might wish to revisit the 2001 NCAA Tournament and amend this statement. :)

dukenilnil
10-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Shirts were worn again at C2C. Are they now available anywhere?

airowe
10-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Shirts were worn again at C2C. Are they now available anywhere?

No, Nike is not allowed to print them for the general public. The team had a short run for them done, but Oompa-Loompa 8 miles down the road won't allow them to be sold to the public.

Battierfan01
10-18-2010, 02:26 PM
No, Nike is not allowed to print them for the general public. The team had a short run for them done, but Oompa-Loompa 8 miles down the road won't allow them to be sold to the public.

Since when does Oompa-Loompa have any say-so in what Nike sells to the public??:confused:

GODUKEGO
10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
http://www.zazzle.com/order_restored_tshirt-235086819140744284

devildeac
10-18-2010, 02:44 PM
http://www.zazzle.com/order_restored_tshirt-235086819140744284

That means there are now 2 different "Order" shirts as the ones worn at CTC were rather different than the one contained in your link. I'll have one of each, please:D.

airowe
10-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Since when does Oompa-Loompa have any say-so in what Nike sells to the public??:confused:

Since he has a direct line to Heir Jordan.

WiJoe
10-18-2010, 03:40 PM
This is what I want (you can have the swoosh) someone to make. Yeah, I know, the Duke logo is a copyright item also.

DevilHorns
10-18-2010, 03:46 PM

I remember you or someone else saying this soon after the championship. Just curious, is this some insider info on oompa-loompa or is this something that's caught the attention of the media?

And I'm with Wi-Joe, would love the shirt the players wore (actually inverting the blue/white colors would make it even better!).

noyac
10-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Yea I would like one too.

Perhaps Ol Roy said if they make the shirts for the public he will find another sponsor for the team (or should I say group of individuals?).

I am speculating of course but Nike is out to make money and no matter who tells them not to make shirts they are gonna make them if there is money to be made unless it risks losing even more money on other merchandise opportunities.

airowe
10-18-2010, 04:01 PM

This is the reason, and UNC (and Jordan) have serious pull with Nike obviously. They don't have to threaten to do anything, it's just a matter of keeping your best customer happy.

DukieInKansas
10-18-2010, 04:52 PM

This is the reason, and UNC (and Jordan) have serious pull with Nike obviously. They don't have to threaten to do anything, it's just a matter of keeping your best customer happy.

Of course, UNC had (unfortunately) not gone as long between appearances in the Final Four. (May that change starting with last year's NIT final.)

Nike doesn't have to sell them, they could make them a free gift with purchase. Or as a free gift with a donation to the Emily Kzyzewski Center or some other charity of Nike's choice. Better yet - the donation could be to whatever charity is most important to Roy. He would have a hard time complaining about a bunch of Duke fans donating to his charity, even if they did it to get the dreaded (to him) shirt.

dukenilnil
10-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Does anyone actually have information that Nike wouldn't do the shirts because of UNC/Jordan or is that all merely speculation? Seems like the shirts wouldn't be all that different from the full page ads Nike did, and perhaps even, less offensive to other teams. Nike makes products for a lot of different teams, so don't see the issue.
Besides, AFAIK, Nike does not have exclusive rights to the phrasing "Order has been Restored." Thus, one of the other companies that has rights to use the Duke logo should be able to make shirts.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-18-2010, 04:59 PM
If the slogan is not copyrighted, I would love to see everyone in the student section wearing a shirt with the slogan on it when Ol Roy comes to town in Feb. :D

BD80
10-18-2010, 06:12 PM

It certainly is no longer hair Jordan.

airowe
10-18-2010, 08:25 PM
It certainly is no longer hair Jordan.

Unless you count the Hitler 'stache

http://www.sevensidedcube.net/wp-content/uploads/michael-jordan-hitler-moustache.jpeg

Reilly
10-18-2010, 08:43 PM
If the slogan is not copyrighted, I would love to see everyone in the student section wearing a shirt with the slogan on it when Ol Roy comes to town in Feb. :D

Can't Roy just use the internet today?

www.orderhasbeenrestored.com

Mike Corey
10-19-2010, 12:10 AM
From what I've been told, the information re: Roy-Will's objections is accurate. And not to defend him, but I don't blame him one bit for being upset. If the shoe were on the other foot, I'd be a little flabbergasted at Nike's gesture. I imagine that sentiment wouldn't be mine alone, either.

As a Duke homer, however, I'm thrilled that Nike celebrated Duke's title on its home page, and by creating those shirts for the team. The University and Nike have a very good relationship.

Now if only they'd take the darn black out of the jerseys. :)

DevilHorns
10-19-2010, 12:19 AM
From what I've been told, the information re: Roy-Will's objections is accurate. And not to defend him, but I don't blame him one bit for being upset. If the shoe were on the other foot, I'd be a little flabbergasted at Nike's gesture. I imagine that sentiment wouldn't be mine alone, either.

As a Duke homer, however, I'm thrilled that Nike celebrated Duke's title on its home page, and by creating those shirts for the team. The University and Nike have a very good relationship.

Now if only they'd take the darn black out of the jerseys. :)

No offense, but if the shoe was indeed on the other foot, I would think it would be incredibly petty and underhanded for K and the staff to somehow try and decrease the celebration and elation of a UNC championship by pushing a few connections to drop a cool slogan and a t-shirt idea.

I still think it's not really Roy's personality to do such a thing. After we whooped up on UNC 82-50 last year, Roy had a lot of kind words to say to our seniors individually, particularly Jon.

I don't think it's out of personality for Jordan to push the buttons on this one, however.

Mike Corey
10-19-2010, 12:31 AM
No offense taken. I didn't mean to imply that K--or anyone associated with Duke--would suggest anything of the sort to Nike. I didn't make that point clearly at all, however. Mea culpa.

I only meant to speak to the emotional reaction we as fans would have.

As to Roy-Will's personality, albeit in my admittedly limited experience, it would not be out of the ordinary at all.

Roy-Will's a terrific recruiter and an effective coach in many ways, and I respect and admire the way he runs his program for the most part. But he is far from perfect, and his inferiority complex is among his greatest weaknesses (and, perhaps, strengths as well).

DevilHorns
10-19-2010, 12:45 AM
No offense taken. I didn't mean to imply that K--or anyone associated with Duke--would suggest anything of the sort to Nike. I didn't make that point clearly at all, however. Mea culpa.

I only meant to speak to the emotional reaction we as fans would have.

As to Roy-Will's personality, albeit in my admittedly limited experience, it would not be out of the ordinary at all.

Roy-Will's a terrific recruiter and an effective coach in many ways, and I respect and admire the way he runs his program for the most part. But he is far from perfect, and his inferiority complex is among his greatest weaknesses (and, perhaps, strengths as well).

Oh, I definitely agree with you in terms of the emotional reaction from the fanbase.

Roy does have an inferiority complex, but this whole tshirt/slogan thing seems even too petty for him. Maybe it was just something hinted to Nike Corporate and they thought it was best not to upset their #1 client. I doubt there was any actual pressure by anyone from the sissy blues against this tshirt being available for the public.

CEF1959
10-19-2010, 09:19 AM
If you want the skinny on Ordergate, send Baby Blue U a public records request for any documents involving communications between athletic dept. personnel and Nike for the relevant time frame.

airowe
10-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Mike Corey has and still does write wonderful articles for GoDuke.com about the Duke Men's Basketball program.

A tweet from Sean Dockery, posted earlier in this thread confirmed the story.

I was told by someone who works in the basketball office, as well as two different high-level Iron Dukes that Roy complained to Nike regarding the ad campaign, shirts included. Believe it if you want, or don't. But that's wha happened.

DevilWearsPrada
10-19-2010, 11:13 AM
I still want a shirt......... Dad burn Ole Roy and MJ. I guess then, need to get the shirt silk screened at one of the mall kiosks. Any other suggestions.