PDA

View Full Version : Izzo to stay

cbfx3
06-08-2010, 02:44 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nba/story/7743822/

didnt see it posted here so there you go

billyj
06-08-2010, 02:52 PM
If he go, what would happen to the Michigan State team and its players?

Duvall
06-08-2010, 02:59 PM
If he go, what would happen to the Michigan State team and its players?

I imagine they'd find a way to play for their new coach.

Surprised to see Izzo considering a $6 million/year offer. I would have thought he could do better.

4decadedukie
06-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Tom Izzo is one of college basketball's great coaches and fine people. While I would always wish him well, would be very sorry if he opted for the NBA (and I would not be too surprised were he eventually to return to a major Division I program, presuming he departs MSU).

ChicagoCrazy84
06-08-2010, 03:28 PM
If he doesn't get one of Gilbert's jets, I think the deal is off :D

lotusland
06-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Hate to see Izzo go if he does. His players play hard, respect their coach and go to class - allot like our guys.

superdave
06-08-2010, 04:15 PM
I think sportsCenter showed the NBA winning % of the last several college coaches to make the jump: .415 was tops. Ouch.

SilkyJ
06-08-2010, 04:18 PM
I think sportsCenter showed the NBA winning % of the last several college coaches to make the jump: .415 was tops. Ouch.

I saw that. I was struck by Leonard Hamilton's sub 50% winning ptg as a college coach, which had me wondering why he was ever pulled into the NBA ranks in the first place (and his NBA ptg was sub 25% - mega Ouch)

_TheFakeJWill_
06-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Izzo is great for college basketball no doubt (2nd best coach in NCAAB right now) but id like to see a college bball coach excel in the NBA and i think he is one of the few that can do it!

fgb
06-08-2010, 08:45 PM
funny thing is, dan gilbert, the cavs' owner, is apparently an msu alum. what the hell kind of alum tries to hire a hall of fame coach away from his school?

weezie
06-08-2010, 08:58 PM
funny thing is, dan gilbert, the cavs' owner, is apparently an msu alum. what the hell kind of alum tries to hire a hall of fame coach away from his school?

Aw geez, too easy...a desperate one trying to make a pretty pink picture for his sweetie-pie LeBron.
Still, Izzo doesn't leave Sparty's cozy confines for this. Not buying it.
Why pass up a spanking in Cameron for a few minutes of NBA playoff flameout?!:eek::D

NovaScotian
06-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Surprised to see Izzo considering a $6 million/year offer. I would have thought he could do better.

are you kidding? that would probably be one of the top five coach's salaries in the nba.

dukemsu
06-08-2010, 09:20 PM

That's the question fellow MSU alumni are asking about Mr. Gilbert today.

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if Izzo goes. He's always had a bit of wanderlust, and he might be thinking it's time to go and try the NBA. His coaching acumen would fit-State runs a lot of pro-style sets, but his personality probably wouldn't. He is an emotional rollercoaster during the season, and that wouldn't fit well with an 82 game schedule plus playoffs. He has ultimate command at State-not just of the basketball program, he is the face of the University. He would be no higher than 4th on the Cavs pecking order, behind LeBron, whatever FA they bring in to play with him, and Gilbert. He might be up for that though, and just being able to concentrate on coaching.

If he goes, which I think is more likely than his staying, the logical question is Who's Next? First call will probably go to Scott Skiles, but I doubt he leaves the NBA to return to State. Most likely candidate is Brian Gregory, the former Izzo assistant who has coached Dayton for 7 years and has all the contacts in the Midwest that Izzo does. He also is well regarded by the MSU community. Tom Crean isn't as well regarded, and is shoulder deep in a mess at Indiana.

He's always said he's intrigued by the NBA. I think he bites this time, and it will be an unbelievably bad day in East Lansing.

dukemsu

WiJoe
06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
That's the question fellow MSU alumni are asking about Mr. Gilbert today.

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if Izzo goes. He's always had a bit of wanderlust, and he might be thinking it's time to go and try the NBA. His coaching acumen would fit-State runs a lot of pro-style sets, but his personality probably wouldn't. He is an emotional rollercoaster during the season, and that wouldn't fit well with an 82 game schedule plus playoffs. He has ultimate command at State-not just of the basketball program, he is the face of the University. He would be no higher than 4th on the Cavs pecking order, behind LeBron, whatever FA they bring in to play with him, and Gilbert. He might be up for that though, and just being able to concentrate on coaching.

If he goes, which I think is more likely than his staying, the logical question is Who's Next? First call will probably go to Scott Skiles, but I doubt he leaves the NBA to return to State. Most likely candidate is Brian Gregory, the former Izzo assistant who has coached Dayton for 7 years and has all the contacts in the Midwest that Izzo does. He also is well regarded by the MSU community. Tom Crean isn't as well regarded, and is shoulder deep in a mess at Indiana.

He's always said he's intrigued by the NBA. I think he bites this time, and it will be an unbelievably bad day in East Lansing.

dukemsu

Wow! Are you serious. I can't believe he'd leave for the NBA, even if the Cavs signed the alleged king.

Indoor66
06-09-2010, 02:03 PM
alleged king.

Have you got that right. Way overblown.

muzikfrk75
06-09-2010, 02:53 PM
I have a couple of friends who are originally from Michigan and are huge Sparty fans. They would be devastated if Izzo leaves. I remember how nervous I felt when Coach K took an entire weekend to think about the Laker job.

In my opinion though I think that Izzo is staying, especially since Lebron's future is still in the air. One question though (and it may have already have been answered), is there any chance that Gilbert would give him the GM job as well? I know that they have a new GM, but still...

Jderf
06-09-2010, 03:06 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/6/9/1509526/tom-izzo-cavs-coach-leaving-michigan-st-tells-players

Claims that Izzo has already told his players he is gone. We'll see.

muzikfrk75
06-09-2010, 03:11 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/6/9/1509526/tom-izzo-cavs-coach-leaving-michigan-st-tells-players

Claims that Izzo has already told his players he is gone. We'll see.

If this is true, WOW.

Jderf
06-09-2010, 03:20 PM
If this is true, WOW.

Yea, I'd be surprised too. Right before a season when he's got his best chance in years to grab that second title? It seems like awkward timing. But I guess you never know. Like I said, we'll have to wait and see.

muzikfrk75
06-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Yea, I'd be surprised too. Right before a season when he's got his best chance in years to grab that second title? It seems like awkward timing. But I guess you never know. Like I said, we'll have to wait and see.

I agree, but when someone is talking about doubling your salary, you have to at least listen, right?

muzikfrk75
06-09-2010, 03:53 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?date=20100609#16585

It's an insider article, but Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain states that his sources have told him that Izzo did not say anything to his players Tuesday about leaving.

Jderf
06-09-2010, 04:00 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?date=20100609#16585

It's an insider article, but Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain states that his sources have told him that Izzo did not say anything to his players Tuesday about leaving.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20100609/NLETTER05/100609004/1023/GW?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=LSJ_Media&utm_term=GreenandWhite.com&utm_content=RSS

It appears he definitely had a meeting with the players, but there is no indication he told them he was leaving. My bet is that he had a sit-down to let them know he was looking into it (but not that he was taking the job), and it got overblown. Goodman also has Izzo on record saying that the reports were "absolutely untrue" (http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox/status/15796425573).

MChambers
06-09-2010, 04:19 PM
I agree, but when someone is talking about doubling your salary, you have to at least listen, right?

I heard Coach K on the radio in 2001, with Tony Kornheiser (no mention of Greybeard), and he was asked about the NBA. Among the things he said was that he was wearing a nice sweater and he didn't need any more sweaters. At some point, some people realize they have something other folks don't have and never will have: enough.

Izzo has made an awfully nice living as MSU coach. Does he really need more money? Or are other things more important? Now, some of those other things could lead him to the NBA, but he shouldn't do it for $.

Anyway, hope he stays.

dukemsu
06-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Hysteria has broken out in East Lansing.

That's stretching things a tad, but the earlier blog report has been refuted by 10 or so reputable sources. Apparently no decision has been made.

There's a seriously legit chance Izzo splits. My personal guess is that he's leaning that way, and nothing I've heard has made me optimistic.

dukemsu

BD80
06-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Hysteria has broken out in East Lansing.

That's stretching things a tad, but the earlier blog report has been refuted by 10 or so reputable sources. Apparently no decision has been made.

There's a seriously legit chance Izzo splits. My personal guess is that he's leaning that way, and nothing I've heard has made me optimistic.

dukemsu

That is why it is so dangerous to "investigate" opportunities in any way that can be made public. Bloggers and desperate reporters are fertile kindling for a wildfire. Now other programs are telling recruits that Izzo is seriously considering going pro, if not the Cavs then maybe next year, and he won't likely

This is Gilbert's fault for making the overture so public. He loves the attention and craves the publicity boost the Cavs so desperately need.

I seriously doubt Izzo leaves. He is a control freak. He will admit it. Can you imagine him dealing with young millionaires? He might be OK with much of the team Danny assembled, the older veterans, but I really can't see him dealing with Delonte West or LeBron's entourage.

Izzo will have a great team next year, it would be hard to leave.

sagegrouse
06-09-2010, 05:13 PM

Lets see. Three years at $6 million per is a big number but less than 15 years at $3 million or more. (Izzo will be 55 this year.) Plus, outside income is probably higher as a college legend than as another NBA bench coach. Of course, Izzo could be a huge success and coach many years in the NBA.

Lets see. The list of successful college coaches in the NBA begins with Bill Fitch and extends all the way to ... Chuck Daly. Larry Brown doesn't count because he coached in the ABA/NBA, then went to UCLA, then to the NJ Nets, than to Kansas, and then back to the NBA. Gregg Popovich coached two years in Div III (Pomona-Pitzer). Cotton Fitzsimmons coached two years at K-State and was hardly an established college coach. Notable failures includes Pitino, Calipari, Montgomery, Lon Kruger, Leonard Hamilton (good move, MJ), Tarkanian (20 games), and Tim Floyd.

Izzo should stay in college.

sagegrouse

muzikfrk75
06-09-2010, 05:20 PM
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20100609/NLETTER05/100609004/1023/GW?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=LSJ_Media&utm_term=GreenandWhite.com&utm_content=RSS

It appears he definitely had a meeting with the players, but there is no indication he told them he was leaving. My bet is that he had a sit-down to let them know he was looking into it (but not that he was taking the job), and it got overblown. Goodman also has Izzo on record saying that the reports were "absolutely untrue" (http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox/status/15796425573).

According to Andy Katz, the meeting with the players was held. Izzo told them that the Cavs are interested and he has to seriously think about it. He didn't say that he was taking the job though...not yet anyway.

EDIT: link http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5268981

jjh1080
06-09-2010, 05:29 PM
I think this is the best time for Izzo to go.

He gets paid $6 million to go versus $3 million to stay. He is young enough so that if he doesn't make in the NBA he can come back to the college ranks, find a job pretty easy paying him $3 million a year and build a pretty good program before he retires at 70.

If he waits too long there will be no option to come back to the college ranks and build another program. He is 55, goes for 3 years and misses he comes back at 58 and coaches another 12 years. Plenty of time to build another program. The only way he stays is if he is pretty sure they can win the title next year. If it takes him 3 or 4 years to win another title and he goes pro there is no chance he can come back to the college ranks and build another program.

The time is now for Izzo.

Cockabeau
06-09-2010, 05:35 PM
my sources tell me that Izzo is gone...

kong123
06-09-2010, 05:42 PM

my sources tell me that Izzo is gone.......(thanks Cockabeau)

Greg_Newton
06-09-2010, 05:52 PM

my sources tell me that Izzo is gone.......(thanks Cockabeau)

Ladies and gentlemen, I am now hearing from multiple sources that Izzo is gone.

;)

BD80
06-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I am now hearing from multiple sources that Izzo is gone.

;)

Good grief. Now you are a source that he is leaving, that's three! He must be gone!

But what a great job opening that would be!

I hear Chris Collins would be interested! :rolleyes:

kong123
06-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Good grief. Now you are a source that he is leaving, that's three! He must be gone!

But what a great job opening that would be!

I hear Chris Collins would be interested! :rolleyes:

I would think the Spartans would be looking for a coach with an established name. Duke assistants have not had much recent success, would be a big leap of faith for the Spartans but a great grab for Collins.

WiJoe
06-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Vasher told me Michigan State officials have had multiple conversations with Roy Williams.

kong123
06-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Vasher told me Michigan State officials have had multiple conversations with Roy Williams.

I can confirm that a source close to Roy Williams says that the Spartans have reached out to Roy to reunite him with his former recruit Roe. Details still developing, but one this is quite clear- Roy still thinks Roe is a liar....

El_Diablo
06-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Roy has already turned them down 11 or 12 times.

kong123
06-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Roy has already turned them down 11 or 12 times.

Roy doesn't give a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. about Michigan State!

77devil
06-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Roy doesn't give a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. about Michigan State!

I'd hazard to guess that the feeling is mutual.

dukemsu
06-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Another report tonight that players in yesterday's meeting got the impression that Izzo was gone. It was from the Cavs beat writer, though. All the beat writers in and around EL think Izzo is genuinely conflicted and hasn't made up his mind.

I'll stick with my prediction that Izzo is gone, and that Brian Gregory from Dayton will be named head coach no less than 48 hours after Izzo announces his departure.

dukemsu

hedevil
06-09-2010, 10:09 PM
So as dukies, where do we stand on this? Do we hope he stays or goes? Izzo is a great college coach, sets a good example for collegiate basketball.

However, couldn't Izzo's leaving really dampen the upcoming season for the MSU kids/players/team who could very well be Duke's largest contender for the title (repeat). My selfish side says Izzo should go just to make a repeat a little more attainable (I like Duke's chances either way). That being said, Izzo is one of my favorite college coaches (ouside of K), so I sort of hope he stays. I'm kind of leaning towards what seems to be the long term good here (for college hoops), and hoping he stays.

WiJoe
06-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Another report tonight that players in yesterday's meeting got the impression that Izzo was gone. It was from the Cavs beat writer, though. All the beat writers in and around EL think Izzo is genuinely conflicted and hasn't made up his mind.

I'll stick with my prediction that Izzo is gone, and that Brian Gregory from Dayton will be named head coach no less than 48 hours after Izzo announces his departure.

dukemsu

I REALLY like Gregory. Have for a long time. His stock went up, of course, when he won the NIT!

sagegrouse
06-09-2010, 11:10 PM
So as dukies, where do we stand on this? Do we hope he stays or goes? Izzo is a great college coach, sets a good example for collegiate basketball.

Why should anyone associated with Duke even have an opinion about the contest to be the second-best college basketball coach?

sagegrouse

BD80
06-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Roy doesn't give a sh!t about Michigan State!

I'd hazard to guess that the feeling is mutual.

Direct hit!

Report says he going to Cleveland to meet with with Gilbert. The longer it goes, the worse it looks for MSU.

Good pick in Gregory. But why not Tom Crean? Born in Michigan, went to Central Michigan and was on the MSU staff TWICE, once under Heathcote and later four years with Izzo.

dukemsu
06-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Direct hit!

Report says he going to Cleveland to meet with with Gilbert. The longer it goes, the worse it looks for MSU.

Good pick in Gregory. But why not Tom Crean? Born in Michigan, went to Central Michigan and was on the MSU staff TWICE, once under Heathcote and later four years with Izzo.

Crean has a clause in his contract prohibiting from leaving for another Big 10 school.

dukemsu

airowe
06-10-2010, 01:57 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/06/sources_say_msu_players_believ.html

muzikfrk75
06-10-2010, 02:17 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/06/sources_say_msu_players_believ.html

Ruh roh. I hope that he stays at MSU but it looks like he might be gone.

NYC Duke Fan
06-10-2010, 04:20 AM
If Izzo leaves, and I sure hope that he does not, a perfect fit would be Larry Brown. He would inherit a team poised to win a National Championship which adds to his ego and legacy.

He would stay 1 year if he won and then leave for an NBA opening.

UrinalCake
06-10-2010, 06:01 AM

As a Dukie who is also a fan of college b-ball, I absolutely want him to stay. The game needs great coaches and it seems that they are becoming more and more rare. I have a similar feeling about players leaving early - I would prefer that they stay and make the college game better, even if it makes things harder for Duke. At the same time, I can't necessarily blame them for leaving if the right opportunity is there.

You can't blame Izzo for taking this job (assuming he does). It's natural in any profession to want to step up to the next level and see how you can perform. So much hinges on LeBron though, and it's hard to imagine Izzo wanting the job without knowing if he's staying. If LeBron leaves, the Cavs are a lottery team in a heartbroken city and Izzo's chances for success are virtually nil.

MChambers
06-10-2010, 08:18 AM

However, couldn't Izzo's leaving really dampen the upcoming season for the MSU kids/players/team who could very well be Duke's largest contender for the title (repeat). My selfish side says Izzo should go just to make a repeat a little more attainable (I like Duke's chances either way). That being said, Izzo is one of my favorite college coaches (ouside of K), so I sort of hope he stays. I'm kind of leaning towards what seems to be the long term good here (for college hoops), and hoping he stays.

I think you've got to vote for him to stay. He's good for college ball. And, if Duke is to win the title next year, they'll have to beat some good teams, whether or not Izzo is at MSU.

dukemsu
06-10-2010, 09:45 AM
If Izzo leaves, and I sure hope that he does not, a perfect fit would be Larry Brown. He would inherit a team poised to win a National Championship which adds to his ego and legacy.

He would stay 1 year if he won and then leave for an NBA opening.

LB has already pulled this trick in Michigan. He's not coming back.

The only pro coach who will get a call is Scott Skiles. MSU will keep this in the family if at all possible.

dukemsu

Olympic Fan
06-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Count me among those who hopes Izzo stays. I think he's good for college basketball -- a classy coach who doesn't cheat and wins at a high rate.

When K is acknowledged as the best coach in the game, I don't want critics to suggest that's because all his potential challengers went to the NBA.

Pitino dimished his legacy by going to the NBA (at least for the second time) -- I wonder where he would rank if he had stayed at Kentucky? Or imagine a scenario where he stays at Kentucky and K goes to the Celtics in 1989 or the Trail Blazers in 1994 or even the Lakers in 2004 (all jobs he considered). Who would we be talking about as the greatest living (men's) college basketball coach?

Izzo is a worthy challenger -- he's justly celebrated for his recent run of six Final Four appearances in the last 12 years. BUT even over that timespan K has been better -- just four Final Fours, but two titles to Izzo's one; 10 Sweet 16s to Izzo's eight; and 35 NCAA Tournament wins to Izzo's 32.

Obviously, if you go back beynond the 12 years where Izzo has been almost as good as K, it's not close -- K gets two more titles, seven more Final Fours and a boatload more NCAA wins.

Still, Izzo is close enough over the last dozen years to be in position to argue that he's the best CURRENT coach if he can win a second title and have a seventh Final Four in 13 years next season ...

I'd love to see he and K go at it.

Note: BTW, when you look at the best coach over the last 12 years -- hey, I know it's an arbitray time frame, but it's what the Izzo boosters pick -- I'd argue that Roy Williams is also ahead of Izzo (but just behind K). Counting his time at Kansas for the first five years of the 12-year span, he and K are tied with two titles; Izzo leads with six FFs to Roy's five and K's four; K leads with 10 Sweet 16s to Izzo's eight and Roy's seven; K leads with 35 NCAA wins, Roy has 34 and Izzo 32 ... Roy is the only one to miss the NCAA in any of those 12 years.

muzikfrk75
06-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Apparently Byron Scott is also a candidate for the Cavs job

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5271586

Pretty sure that Gilbert wants Izzo first though. I hope Izzo stays at MSU as well.

barjwr
06-10-2010, 12:48 PM
You can't blame Izzo for taking this job (assuming he does). It's natural in any profession to want to step up to the next level and see how you can perform.

I've been back and forth on this. I heard Mike & Mike debate this earlier this week. Greeny made a legitimate argument that comparing success on the collegiate level to success in the NBA is an apples-and-oranges situation--for coaches, is the NBA really the next level, or are the two jobs so different that they require vastly different abilities? Obviously, the players are better in the NBA, but does that make the coaching more difficult or easier? Golic's "thoughtful" retort was always "It's the next level--you have to want to go to the next level to see if you're good enough for the next level."

I guess you can look at it from two perspectives: one, like winning multiple major titles in golf and tennis, is that you want to see if you can coach in all types of situations/conditions (can you win at links golf and win the Masters, or can you win Wimbledon and on clay). The other is that collegiate coaching is so different because of what's required from a basketball developmental aspect (as well as mentoring and growing well-rounded young men) that the two cannot be compared.

I certainly don't think K is any less of a coaching master than Phil Jackson--should I, since K didn't coach at "the next level?" I don't think so.

theAlaskanBear
06-10-2010, 01:04 PM
I've been back and forth on this. I heard Mike & Mike debate this earlier this week. Greeny made a legitimate argument that comparing success on the collegiate level to success in the NBA is an apples-and-oranges situation--for coaches, is the NBA really the next level, or are the two jobs so different that they require vastly different abilities? Obviously, the players are better in the NBA, but does that make the coaching more difficult or easier? Golic's "thoughtful" retort was always "It's the next level--you have to want to go to the next level to see if you're good enough for the next level."

I guess you can look at it from two perspectives: one, like winning multiple major titles in golf and tennis, is that you want to see if you can coach in all types of situations/conditions (can you win at links golf and win the Masters, or can you win Wimbledon and on clay). The other is that collegiate coaching is so different because of what's required from a basketball developmental aspect (as well as mentoring and growing well-rounded young men) that the two cannot be compared.

I certainly don't think K is any less of a coaching master than Phil Jackson--should I, since K didn't coach at "the next level?" I don't think so.

I disagree. The NBA IS the pinnacle of basketball coaching. You have the best players in the world, and on any given night, every team can beat you. You can't say that about college, where the talent disparity is so severe between elite programs and the avg school. The NBA is a much harder environment to win in, and be consistently successful.

barjwr
06-10-2010, 01:14 PM
So, answer my question: is K as good a coach as Phil Jackson?

And, along the same lines, were John Wooden or Bob Knight as good as Red Auerbach or Lenny Wilkens?

theAlaskanBear
06-10-2010, 01:27 PM

And, along the same lines, were John Wooden or Bob Knight as good as Red Auerbach or Lenny Wilkens?

You can't compare coaches. You can make that argument for ANY sport in college, but that doesn't mean that the pro-leagues aren't still the best.

The biggest difference is continuity, NBA coaches for the most have better player continuity, while college coaches have essentially new teams every 2-3 years. But that also means coaches who are stuck on teams without team will be bad for several years.

Just because you cant compare college football coaches to NFL coaches doesnt mean the NFL isnt the pinnacle. Its a bad argument.

barjwr
06-10-2010, 04:59 PM
I agree that better basketball is played at the NBA level, but I don't necessarily agree that better coaching is done or required at the NBA level. The fact that the talent is better in the NBA actually emphasizes the need for better coaching at the collegiate level. Sure, any team can beat any other team on any given night in the NBA, but it's about as predictable professional league as there is--how many times has a true dark horse won the NBA Championship? Not very many. Meanwhile, college basketball is known for the monumental upsets that occur nearly every week of each season. I can't believe that's because of talent; my guess would be that it has more to do with variable focus (a responsibility of coaching) and better strategy.

Also, collegiate coaches have to develop players and their skills to a far greater degree than professional coaches, not to mention what sort of time commitments have to be made to recruiting. This is why I think that trying to compare the two jobs doesn't make sense--that being an NBA coach isn't the obvious "next step" for a college coach the way it is for a college player.

It's a little like the difference between academic and private practice physicians. One is trying to be innovative with new treatments and diagnostics to improve medicine in general, the other is trying to bring the innovations to the general public and improve health on a patient-to-patient basis. Neither is really better than the other--they just each have different career goals.

BD80
06-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Some of the national sportswriters are Tweeting that someone close to Izzo is saying that he is tired of recruiting and running a clean program in the rising cesspool of college basketball.

My take: Calipari is pooping in the pool, and those with self respect are getting out.

cspan37421
06-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Sure, any team can beat any other team on any given night in the NBA, but it's about as predictable professional league as there is--how many times has a true dark horse won the NBA Championship? Not very many.

Given the number of 5 and 7-game series required to win the NBA championship, that's not surprising. March madness is madness because in a single elimination tournament, you do get some upsets, and occasionally, monumental ones.

Jderf
06-10-2010, 07:37 PM
I disagree. The NBA IS the pinnacle of basketball coaching. You have the best players in the world, and on any given night, every team can beat you. You can't say that about college, where the talent disparity is so severe between elite programs and the avg school. The NBA is a much harder environment to win in, and be consistently successful.

I don't agree here. NBA coaches only have to run practices and games. Their players have been playing for so long and are so good that they don't need the coaching nearly as much as college players. And the coach has comparatively little control over his roster (at most he can make it clear to the boys upstairs that he wants/doesn't want a certain player, but that's it). College coaches not only have to run the x's and o's, but also have to assemble their team, manage it, find their assistant coaches, and, essentially, run the entire program.

The NBA is about the players, the NCAA is about the team. And because of that, the coach has a much bigger role. Think about it. Who is the most important person right now for, say, the Cavs? Lebron. For Kansas? Bill Self. If you want to completely revamp an NBA team, what do you look for? A franchise-building player. But for a college team? A star coach. The NCAA is the pinnacle of basketball coaching. The NBA is just a bigger market (at least by average salary).

jjh1080
06-10-2010, 07:41 PM
College versus Pro coaching.

College - you have to develop the players, you to teach them to respect their limits, work on their weaknesses and how to best use their strengths.

Pro - you have to manage egos. MJ was good when he got to the pros but Phil had to manage his ego. Even MJ said that until he learn he needed help to win the title he wasn't going to win a title. Phil is doing wonders with Kobe. 5 years ago Kobe would have had pressed in every playoff game to score as many points as he thought he needed to win. But today, he'll settle with 20 points as long as he is contributing, making assists and playing defense. Arenas is a good player but until he gets a coach that can manage his ego, he'll never win a title. The NBA is full of these guys and the coach has to manage them.

The only reason why a guy wants to coach the pros is for the money, but college salaries are catching up. We might see more $5 million+ salaries in the pros soon since the college salaries are getting up there.

NYC Duke Fan
06-10-2010, 07:43 PM

Good question. I think Auerbach was a better coach than Bobby Knight. He knew exactly how to handle Russell and the rest. I don't think it's my way or the highway from Knight would have been successful in Boston with Russell etc.

As to Coach K and Jackson...I just don't know. Would Coach K have won all those championships in Chicago with Michael..maybe but also maybe not? Would Jackson have won 4 national titles ? Don't know ih he would be a great recruiter

AZLA
06-10-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't agree here. NBA coaches only have to run practices and games. Their players have been playing for so long and are so good that they don't need the coaching nearly as much as college players. And the coach has comparatively little control over his roster (at most he can make it clear to the boys upstairs that he wants/doesn't want a certain player, but that's it). College coaches not only have to run the x's and o's, but also have to assemble their team, manage it, find their assistant coaches, and, essentially, run the entire program.

The NBA is about the players, the NCAA is about the team. And because of that, the coach has a much bigger role. Think about it. Who is the most important person right now for, say, the Cavs? Lebron. For Kansas? Bill Self. If you want to completely revamp an NBA team, what do you look for? A franchise-building player. But for a college team? A star coach. The NCAA is the pinnacle of basketball coaching. The NBA is just a bigger market (at least by average salary).

I agree with your disagreement.

NM Duke Fan
06-10-2010, 08:09 PM
For me at least, I think coaching the pros would be mind-numbing and soul-sapping much of the time. Pro coaches often have to be baby sitters, while college coaches at their best are in the business of helping to build men.

_TheFakeJWill_
06-10-2010, 08:46 PM
ive always wondered what Phils take on who is better (seeing he's coached both) MJ or KB???

OldPhiKap
06-10-2010, 10:46 PM
The question isn't which is better, harder, etc. It really depends on what his ultimate goal is. Remember, K gave real consideration to the Celtics and the Lakers.

In the end, it really depends on what Tom wants to do personally. The pro job offers money, new challenges, and a change of scene. The MSU job offers the continuation of what he has done to date (which to my mind is pretty impressive). None of us can judge that, and two different folks in the exact same situation could come to two different -- but legitimate -- conclusions.

I hope he follows his heart and does what he thinks is best for him, his family, his quality of life, and the best interests of those around him. Since I don't give a hoot about pro hoops and do not watch it, I personally hope he stays. But I won't begrudge whatever decision he makes.

moonpie23
06-10-2010, 11:06 PM
i went through a stage of hating izzo......i think it stopped in 05 against the heels ......

since then, i've tried to look at him more objectively and i really like him....he's my kind of coach.....as long as he's not beating us...

dukemsu
06-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Izzo just returned to East Lansing after a 9 hour visit to Cleveland with his family.

Nothing's been confirmed, but everything points to his immediate acceptance of the job.

I would guess he meets with the team tomorrow, and then it goes public.

Izzo will leave a big void in college basketball. He will leave a permanent void in East Lansing. Not a good day(s) to be a Spartan.

Wish we could have had the matchup on Dec 1. Not going to be the same now.

dukemsu

moonpie23
06-10-2010, 11:16 PM
so, i'm not sayin.....but would Izzo jump ship to a mediocre team like the Cavs minus lebron?

this, to me, signals that lebron is staying...

dukemsu
06-10-2010, 11:18 PM
so, i'm not sayin.....but would Izzo jump ship to a mediocre team like the Cavs minus lebron?

this, to me, signals that lebron is staying...

Not necessarily. I would guess that Gilbert sold Izzo on the fact that there is a good chance James will return. But I'm sure they talked about contingencies if he doesn't. Probably already have other people targeted.

Izzo apparently wanted out from a team ranked in the top 3 preseason and from a city and state where he was virtually above the law.

dukemsu

OldPhiKap
06-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Izzo just returned to East Lansing after a 9 hour visit to Cleveland with his family.

Nothing's been confirmed, but everything points to his immediate acceptance of the job.

I would guess he meets with the team tomorrow, and then it goes public.

Izzo will leave a big void in college basketball. He will leave a permanent void in East Lansing. Not a good day(s) to be a Spartan.

Wish we could have had the matchup on Dec 1. Not going to be the same now.

dukemsu

I hope you're wrong, personally, but I'm sure you have better info than I do.

Hope he stays, but good luck if you need to start looking.

WiJoe
06-10-2010, 11:54 PM
I would imagine there is something going on at msu that has soured a guy who is msu through and through on his current employer. Will we find out what? I doubt it, certainly not if he stays and doubtful even if he leaves.

brevity
06-11-2010, 05:28 AM
So many points to make.

1. Is Tom Izzo happy at Michigan State? I know he has a successful program and all, but does he like the working environment at MSU, or is he fed up with anyone there? To draw a bad comparison, Roy Williams had quite a bit of success at Kansas but cared little about the university's politics toward the end.

2. The Cavaliers job is a unique opportunity with LeBron James, and a below average position without him. Some call coaching LeBron a once-in-a-lifetime shot, but there's always the 2016 Olympics.

3. I remember listening to that Mike & Mike debate. Greenberg was completely correct, but did a lousy job of explaining it. Golic was completely off base, but could have put forth a better argument. So I'll try to help them now.

Greenberg: I'm not sure that the NBA is the pinnacle of basketball coaching. I'm not saying college coaching is either, just that they are like apples and oranges.

Golic: I disagree. The NBA is the pinnacle of basketball play, so it should follow that coaching at that level is also the pinnacle. The pressures are maximized with a longer season, greater press attention, and an ownership that has a deep financial commitment to the team that's assembled. Also, NBA fans don't have the patience to wait for a program to develop. A coach has to win and has to win now.

In my opinion, college coaching and NBA coaching are completely different skill sets. One can succeed in both, but not without significant personal adjustments. It's not immediately apparent to me that Tom Izzo is going to thrive in the NBA or that Phil Jackson would dominate at the college level. (I'm leaving Coach K out of the discussion because the Olympics provide us with some evidence of his ability to coach pros.)

4. For those of you focusing on the idea that college coaches do more to develop players (both physically and emotionally) than do NBA coaches: I agree with you, but don't go overboard. Using that criterion alone, I could argue that high school coaches handle development the most, making that level the pinnacle of the profession.

cspan37421
06-11-2010, 05:52 AM
Brevity, you make a decent point about how the reasoning can be carried to an illogical extreme. But HS coaches - public ones at least - don't really recruit much. You're in the school zone or not. Sure, sometimes families can be pressured to move, etc., but for the most part you're stuck with what is in your zone.

HS coaches do develop players, but it seems to me they focus on getting their kids to master the fundamentals. It isn't the Triangle Offense out there. I think that's where college ball takes it to the next level - it develops team play and more sophisticated offense and defense. Can't speak for the NBA, but for some reason it doesn't seem light years ahead of college in terms of coaching (for the most part). Seems like a lot of managing personalities, egos, matchups, etc.

PS brevity: time to update your blog! Last entry that comes up is a melacholy one about UNC winning the NCAA title in 2009!

UrinalCake
06-11-2010, 07:33 AM
I think people underestimate how much actual "coaching" is done in the NBA. The players are so good that they make it look easy, you think they just step out of bed and then tear it up on the court, but there's a lot more at play that the average fan doesn't see. Ray Allen made a subtle comment after his game where he made 8 of 9 threes - he said he didn't just magically get open out of nowhere. The team worked really hard to create those shots for him. Also, defenses have gotten much more complex in recent years. Watch any NBA game on ESPN classic and you'll see defenders just standing around, maybe holding their hands up.

It is true that NBA coaches do not have to recruit or deal with academic eligibility, but college coaches also do not have to manage a salary cap or a draft. So player evaluation is part of both jobs.

dukemsu
06-11-2010, 11:24 AM
So many points to make.

1. Is Tom Izzo happy at Michigan State? I know he has a successful program and all, but does he like the working environment at MSU, or is he fed up with anyone there? To draw a bad comparison, Roy Williams had quite a bit of success at Kansas but cared little about the university's politics toward the end.

2. The Cavaliers job is a unique opportunity with LeBron James, and a below average position without him. Some call coaching LeBron a once-in-a-lifetime shot, but there's always the 2016 Olympics.

3. I remember listening to that Mike & Mike debate. Greenberg was completely correct, but did a lousy job of explaining it. Golic was completely off base, but could have put forth a better argument. So I'll try to help them now.

Greenberg: I'm not sure that the NBA is the pinnacle of basketball coaching. I'm not saying college coaching is either, just that they are like apples and oranges.

Golic: I disagree. The NBA is the pinnacle of basketball play, so it should follow that coaching at that level is also the pinnacle. The pressures are maximized with a longer season, greater press attention, and an ownership that has a deep financial commitment to the team that's assembled. Also, NBA fans don't have the patience to wait for a program to develop. A coach has to win and has to win now.

In my opinion, college coaching and NBA coaching are completely different skill sets. One can succeed in both, but not without significant personal adjustments. It's not immediately apparent to me that Tom Izzo is going to thrive in the NBA or that Phil Jackson would dominate at the college level. (I'm leaving Coach K out of the discussion because the Olympics provide us with some evidence of his ability to coach pros.)

4. For those of you focusing on the idea that college coaches do more to develop players (both physically and emotionally) than do NBA coaches: I agree with you, but don't go overboard. Using that criterion alone, I could argue that high school coaches handle development the most, making that level the pinnacle of the profession.

1. Izzo may be unhappier with college basketball in general than anything MSU-specific. The AD is a lifelong friend, Izzo was best man at his wedding. Izzo basically picked him for the job. He's very close with the president and trustees, as well as the football coach. It's been said many places that Izzo has tired of the recruiting swamp, and that he's approaching burnout in general. Not sure how legit those are. The guy does seem to love his job, but he's only really visible during the season.

Izzo's actual game planning-the quick-hitter sets and the switching man to man D, translate. The emphasis on rebounding does not, but that to a degree has been overplayed in recent years. Too many national types focus on the Cleaves-era teams. Recent Izzo ball has changed considerably.

The part that I don't think he'll be as good at is the dealing of the egos-this year's Spartan team gave him a run for his money. It's going to be a lot worse at the next level in that regard.

Press conference in East Lansing at 4, supposedly. It's done.

dukemsu

BD80
06-11-2010, 12:02 PM
MSU has one of the nicest basketball facilities in the country, up there with Texas and Duke. Izzo may be taking a step down in facilities.

Would definitely be taking a step down in fanbase and geography. :D

Stiller fans can't resist an opportunity!

airowe
06-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Some interesting stuff from this fella...

http://twitter.com/JimComparoni

BD80
06-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Some interesting stuff from this fella...

http://twitter.com/JimComparoni

No preeser at 4.

Izzo "in talks" with MSU. Promising for MSU.

jdj4duke
06-11-2010, 12:50 PM
No preeser at 4.

So if Izzo stays at MSU with what one would expect some "contract adjustment" I wonder if the jackals over at IC will take him to task for entertaining NBA offers as leverage to improve his compensation at MSU? I would expect so, since they probably don't like Izzo either (given they don't like anyone outside of their own little Stepford "family").

dukemsu
06-11-2010, 02:10 PM
No preeser at 4.

Not sure I'd call it promising. Stay or go, they have a lot to discuss.

I do wonder what Byron Scott is doing this afternoon, though.

dukemsu

NSDukeFan
06-11-2010, 02:29 PM
It is true that NBA coaches do not have to recruit or deal with academic eligibility, but college coaches also do not have to manage a salary cap or a draft. So player evaluation is part of both jobs.

I thought you made some good points in your post, but I have to disagree here. Unless you are Popovich or have a lot of say as coach, it is the GM's job to manage the salary cap and draft. I would say managing egos and trying to be an influence over players, who may often make more money and be easier to get rid of than the coach, are two of the larger challenges for a pro coach. Another challenge is getting players to play as a team when that may not be what they are most interested in to increase their chances for a bigger contract. I agree that it is an entirely different set of challenges from being the CEO of a college team.

weezie
06-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Has Bill Self ever been approached by the pros? I didn't see anything when I looked around.

theAlaskanBear
06-11-2010, 02:53 PM
I thought you made some good points in your post, but I have to disagree here. Unless you are Popovich or have a lot of say as coach, it is the GM's job to manage the salary cap and draft. I would say managing egos and trying to be an influence over players, who may often make more money and be easier to get rid of than the coach, are two of the larger challenges for a pro coach. Another challenge is getting players to play as a team when that may not be what they are most interested in to increase their chances for a bigger contract. I agree that it is an entirely different set of challenges from being the CEO of a college team.

Coaches actually play a very large role in the draft and personnel decisions...GMs dont just draft guys and say, youre stuck with him! Coaches get input on many different levels in order to implement their system...

...where it is different, is that in the NBA it is often easier to get rid of coach than to completely change up your personnel.

BD80
06-11-2010, 02:59 PM
...where it is different, is that in the NBA it is often easier to get rid of coach than to completely change up your personnel.

Calipari being the exception with last year's purge at Lexington and reloading the roster with Memphis recruits.

muzikfrk75
06-11-2010, 03:31 PM
From Windhorst's Twitter:

Sounds like parties are not expecting an Izzo decision today. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise everyone.

muzikfrk75
06-11-2010, 05:49 PM
We'll find out tomorrow: http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

Tom Izzo tells Michigan State team he'll decide on #Cavs coach job on Saturday.

dukemsu
06-11-2010, 09:36 PM
We'll find out tomorrow: http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

Tom Izzo tells Michigan State team he'll decide on #Cavs coach job on Saturday.

Most NBA people and press think he goes. Most college people and press think he stays. Plain Dealer said some players think he's leaving. Draymond Green has reportedly been walking around campus saying he's staying.

I don't think anyone knows. Maybe not even Izzo.

dukemsu

WiJoe
06-11-2010, 10:27 PM
I say he stays. Be shocked if he leaves.

Nugget
06-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Izzo should stay and I hope he does.

No guarantee of Lebron.

The difference in money is purely short term -- he'll be fired in 3 years at Cleveland's $6 million per vs. probably have another 10-12 years at Mich St. at $3 million+ per.

His hard-nosed style is not likely to rub well in the NBA. Can you see him getting NBA players to put on the shoulder pads and football helmets like he did with the Flintstones for practice?

He's a perfect fit for college and at Michigan St.

muzikfrk75
06-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Windhorst:

Tom Izzo has been telling people that his decison will be soon but not necessarily tomorrow. The saga continues...

Good lord man, make a decision lol

hurleyfor3
06-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Why is there a Brett Favre thread on the main board? Do I need to move this?

muzikfrk75
06-12-2010, 01:20 AM

Ha! Well played...

dukemsu
06-12-2010, 10:31 AM

Ha! Actually there are many Spartan types making this comparison, because while this situation is the most public since 2000, Izzo to Whereever is an annual rite of spring/summer.

Sticking with my prediction that he's gone.

dukemsu

WiJoe
06-12-2010, 10:47 AM
No disrespect, but NOTHING compares to the annual freaking Favre fiasco. That will not end until someone hands Favre one of his limbs.

Oriole Way
06-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Windhorst:

Good lord man, make a decision lol

Who knows, I wouldn't blame him for negotiating a little pay raise from MSU if he stays. This is a rare opportunity that doesn't come around very often; makes sense for him not only to take his time with the decision itself, but to get the best offers possible from both the Cavs and MSU.

moonpie23
06-12-2010, 02:12 PM
it absolutely HAS to be linked to lebron staying.....i mean, what's he going to do? accept the offer on a speculation that lebron is gonna come back? you think he would announce his resignation to msu, sign on with the cavs, then when lebron didn't come back......what???

go back to msu? hang out in cleveland for a couple years THEN go back to msu?

this doesn't make sense...

Cockabeau
06-12-2010, 02:19 PM
I have been hearing that Izzo is gone. ho hum. personally I don't care for the man after he stalled the elite 8 game against us with victory in hand....

greybeard
06-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Does the conversion of the Big Ten (12) into a Super League portend changes to the college game that make Izzo less anamored of it?

Once Super leagues get to crack their own super cable deals, can going their own way on whether athletes are paid be far away?

At a minimum, seems the "charm" of the Big Ten rivalries, the parochialism of it all, is about to go the way of the goonie bird. Playing Nebraska is not the same as playing Ohio St. or U of M. Can't be.

Jderf
06-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Once Super leagues get to crack their own super cable deals, can going their own way on whether athletes are paid be far away?

Slightly off topic, but I've actually been wondering about this myself. If the superconferences end up coming into existence and exercising the amount of independence from the NCAA as some people speculate, it will be up to them to decide whether or not to offer players bonuses in addition to their scholarships. The conference that does this first will obviously gain a huge advantage in terms of snagging all the top talent, so I feel like there will be enormous amounts of pressure for them to do so the moment they are able. I know it's just speculation, but the possibility of paid college athletes might not be that far off.

greybeard
06-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Slightly off topic, but I've actually been wondering about this myself. If the superconferences end up coming into existence and exercising the amount of independence from the NCAA as some people speculate, it will be up to them to decide whether or not to offer players bonuses in addition to their scholarships. The conference that does this first will obviously gain a huge advantage in terms of snagging all the top talent, so I feel like there will be enormous amounts of pressure for them to do so the moment they are able. I know it's just speculation, but the possibility of paid college athletes might not be that far off.

I know I felt that something precious was lost when the ACC expanded and was just wondering what Izzo, who seemed to glory in the college game and spoke as if he'd never leave, might be influence to change his mind by the big changes portended by the planned and now being realized growth of the league he literally grew up in morphing the league into something different. Just trying to put myself in someone like Izzo's shoes, would that I could, and come up with potential changes to get me to say no mas and take a pro job.

Didn't mean to go off topic, but I think that the contemplated change in Izzo's mind and the change in his league are not disconnnected.

BD80
06-14-2010, 12:05 AM

If they leave the NCAA there is no way they get exempted from antitrust laws, so they wouldn't be able to decide AS A GROUP whether or not to pay players. It would be an uncapped market.

Jderf
06-14-2010, 12:25 AM
If they leave the NCAA there is no way they get exempted from antitrust laws, so they wouldn't be able to decide AS A GROUP whether or not to pay players. It would be an uncapped market.

Fair enough.

greybeard
06-14-2010, 12:37 AM

Ssurly an antitrust lawyer or a labor lawyer would find a way around that. Do the anti trust laws preclude the formation of a joint decision to pay people without fixing wages? Even if you fix wages, isn't there a question about relevant market share or something like that?

Does the NCAA have a statutory exemption like major league baseball, or do they get away with agreeing just to pay players through scholarships and food and now free product through shoe companies as that not being considered "compensation." Interesting. You sound like you have some experience with anti-trust laws and ways to navigate in the thicket, which ain't very thick any more is it?

Maybe for another thread. If you have expertise, it would be cool if you decide to start one.

hedevil
06-14-2010, 04:15 AM
I don't have a link because I just saw this on ESPN, but apparently Lebron endorses the hiring of Izzo in Cleveland 100%. Hmmm....

We'll see where this leads.

Bluedevil114
06-14-2010, 06:25 AM
I don't have a link because I just saw this on ESPN, but apparently Lebron endorses the hiring of Izzo in Cleveland 100%. Hmmm....

We'll see where this leads.

Yes it is curently on the crawl on ESPN. This could get very interesting.

MisterRoddy
06-15-2010, 06:38 PM
It's starting to look like Izzo is staying.

There's a meeting scheduled at around 7 or so with his MSU players and there have been numerous tweets like these....

NBAFanHouse WDIV's Bernie Smilovitz says Izzo will stay, presser expected tomorrow. Can we quit talking about this now?
6 minutes ago

Just one reliable source but things should start really happening in the next hour. Stay tuned (to espn or twitter that is).

BD80
06-15-2010, 07:38 PM
CBSSportsline announcing he is staying.

Good for him.

Good for college basketball.

Edouble
06-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Wow, NCAA Tourney MOP and Top 5 coach both turn down the NBA... a nice offseason for college ball, methinks.

dukelifer
06-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Wow, NCAA Tourney MOP and Top 5 coach both turn down the NBA... a nice offseason for college ball, methinks.

Without knowing Lebron's situation- this was a no brainer. Izzo is making decent money and while there is some allure of the NBA- it is really not a coach's league. Izzo is king where he is and would have to deliver a championship in the NBA to even get close to that. That is a tall order- even with Lebron.

WiJoe
06-15-2010, 08:28 PM
No surprise whatsoever.

Refer to post 89 in this very thread.

Newton_14
06-15-2010, 09:50 PM
CBSSportsline announcing he is staying.

Good for him.

Good for college basketball.

Indeed. I was scared he was going. So glad he didn't. He is one of those guys that the college game needs and imo it would have been a huge loss for college basketball had he jumped.

On the other hand, it would also be great for college basketball if this leads to Calipari getting the job!

cspan37421
06-15-2010, 10:00 PM
One thing is for sure - Wilbon won't be surprised.

You don't have to look deep into the meaning of "coach for life" and other things he said about helping all of Michigan State to realize that what he essentially did was cut a deal much like that which our Coach K did a few years ago. Good for him, good for college basketball, great for Michigan State.

dukemsu
06-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Well, December 1 will be fun after all. Trying to get to Durham for that one.

Izzo appeared completely off the rails during portions of his press conference. He basically destroyed a Detroit sportswriter who wrote an article suggesting Izzo's heart was no longer at MSU. I really thought he was going to physically attack the guy. Didn't come off all that well.

Good for MSU and college basketball in general. Izzo has his issues but he's a credit to the sport.

dukemsu

hedevil
06-15-2010, 11:21 PM
I said from the beginning that I didn't see Izzo leaving. I have to admit, I was starting to second guess myself.

Good for Izzo, MSU, and college hoops in general.

MisterRoddy
06-16-2010, 12:47 AM
I am so glad we will have another healthy competitor for the top spot next year in MSU and that's guaranteed with the return of Izzo.

Hmm, perhaps this thread should be renamed?

tommy
06-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Here's five reasons why Tom Izzo did not take the Cavs job: C - Anderson Varajao, F - J.J. Hickson, F - Antawn Jamison, G - Mo Williams, G - Delonte West (or Anthony Parker). That's the Cavs' starting five if LeBron leaves, and their bench will be one of the weakest in the NBA. That lineup looks like the pre-salary-dump Wizards ... only with less upside. (Of course, the pre-salary-dump Wizards plus LeBron might have contended for a title -- such is the impact of a superstar.) Worse yet, Cleveland will have no cap space in 2010-2011 even without LeBron -- and Varajao, Jamison, Williams, and Boobie Gibson will tie up more than $30 million in cap space through 2012.

Glad to see Izzo staying. Good for college basketball and a good guy.

UrinalCake
06-16-2010, 06:06 AM
Count me in with those who are glad he is staying. I do think that the uncertainty with LeBron played a big part in his decision. Many are calling it a "no-brainer" to stay, but the fact that he took so long to decide means he was at least considering taking the job. If LeBron were definitely staying, or if Izzo had at least gotten the opportunity to talk to him and get a feel for his intentions, then it might have been a totally different story.

Now that he has proclaimed himself a "MSU lifer," I wonder if any other NBA teams will come calling? Would he be as likely to turn down the Lakers? I guess we'll see...

4decadedukie
06-16-2010, 07:20 AM
I'm very pleased; this is, I am certain, the right decision for Coach Izzo and it's also excellent for college basketball and for MSU.

moonpie23
06-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Here's five reasons why Tom Izzo did not take the Cavs job: C - Anderson Varajao, F - J.J. Hickson, F - Antawn Jamison, G - Mo Williams, G - Delonte West (or Anthony Parker).

precisely why lebron is prolly gone....

specially that West guy... ;)

Olympic Fan
06-16-2010, 10:20 AM
I appreciate and agree with the long comment on the front page, expressing joy that Izzo is back. He's good for college basketball and I love college basketball.

Our Dec. 1 matchup will be fun because there's not really that much at stake. Even if it's No. 1 vs. No. 2, the outcome isn't that meaningful in the long run (remember Duke-Wisconsin this ast year?). If we end up meeting them against in March or April, when it will be life or death, I reserve the right to change my option of Izzo's return.

I did want to point out that I was a little uncomfortable with the quick, but snide comment on the front page referring to Izzo as "Hamlet". Aside from the problem of misreading Shakespeare's play (do I have to whip out my Prosser to debate the widespread but mistaken notion that Hamlet's flaw was that he couldn't make up his mind?), I'm reminded of another coach whom we all love and admire who went through almost the same flirtation with the NBA just six years ago.

Hmmm, interesting thought ... if Izzo is Hamlet, then who is Coach K? Maybe King Lear (at least they both have three daughters)?

BD80
06-16-2010, 11:22 AM
precisely why lebron is prolly gone....

specially that West guy... ;)

Totally. You get a gig like that, you'd like to be able to bring your mom to some games :eek:

... I did want to point out that I was a little uncomfortable with the quick, but snide comment on the front page referring to Izzo as "Hamlet". Aside from the problem of misreading Shakespeare's play (do I have to whip out my Prosser to debate the widespread but mistaken notion that Hamlet's flaw was that he couldn't make up his mind?), I'm reminded of another coach whom we all love and admire who went through almost the same flirtation with the NBA just six years ago.

Hmmm, interesting thought ... if Izzo is Hamlet, then who is Coach K? Maybe King Lear (at least they both have three daughters)?

I think the Hamlet reference was merely to indicate that TI is a bit of a drama prince.

Who is Coach K? He IS The Bard. He sets the scene, dictates the action, scripts the dialog, manipulates the audience, deploys the players, and chooses the ending.

I prefer his comedies.

Big Pappa
06-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Indeed. I was scared he was going. So glad he didn't. He is one of those guys that the college game needs and imo it would have been a huge loss for college basketball had he jumped.

On the other hand, it would also be great for college basketball if this leads to Calipari getting the job!

I agree that this is great for college basketball and it is also great for our game against State on December 1st (Happy Birthday to me). Without Izzo we would most likely be going against a depleted State team, not only with their great coach, but likely without Delvon Roe and Chris Allen. They also could have been without all of their great recruiting class.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index....zzo_hasnt.html

But, with Izzo it seems that State will be as strong as advertised and great test for us in early December. It could, potentially, end up being a preview of the NC.

WiJoe
06-16-2010, 08:37 PM
I think the Hamlet reference was merely to indicate that TI is a bit of a drama prince.

"Bit"? Understatement of the century.