PDA

View Full Version : Great Tom Konchalski Read

airowe
06-07-2010, 09:10 AM
I loved the article linked on the front page, not just because of the Kyrie focus, but for the behind the scenes look at the best talent scout in basketball. As someone who is very interested in college basketball recruiting, the name Tom Konchalski resonates loudly.

He has an amazing track record, and as you can tell in the article, has a very high opinion of Kyrie. He also has AlexMurphy rated as his #1 SF in the Class of 2012. Here's the article if you haven't seen it:

http://nymag.com/news/sports/66474/

Of the 220 teams who subscribe to HSBI, your favorite school is one of them. Yes, even you kong123.

roywhite
06-07-2010, 09:28 AM
He's the best at what he does.

I've read very positive comments from Coach K about Konchalski.

yancem
06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
I've read a bunch of articles/interviews about him over the years and I am always impressed. He doesn't seem to get caught up in a little thing like whether or not a kid has great jumping ability. He really takes in a kids entire game and factors in all of the variables. It's almost like a great chess player, he sees things others don't which allows him to project recruits future abilities better than anyone else.

billyj
06-07-2010, 10:36 AM
It gave me goose bumps when he compares KI to Bob Hurley and Jay Williams. :cool:

CrazyNotCrazie
06-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Guys like Konchalski are what recruiting is supposed to be about - he doesn't have an agenda or any self-interest, he's just a guy who loves the game and is earning a simple living watching basketball and writing about it. He is a true contrast to the Sonny Vaccaros of the world who seem to ooze with slime.

It is ironic that this article came out at a time when another real throwback, John Wooden, is in the news. It is amazing how much recruiting has changed over the last 10-15 years, and I'm glad to see that Konchalski's opinion remains well respected and all of the "analysts" who are stalking 5th graders aren't pushing him out of the business.

X-Man
06-09-2010, 08:36 AM
As an FYI to this article, the brother mentioned in the article is Steve Konchalski who is the head coach at St. Francis Xavier University in Canada. He recently became the winningest university coach in Canada, has 3 national championships, was the coach for Canada's national team in the mid 90's and is known as Canada's 'Coach K' (in fact I think he earned the moniker before Duke's Coach K ;)). The two Coach K's met in an exhibition game in Nov '04 at Cameron. If memory serves me, Duke won ;)

NSDukeFan
06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
As an FYI to this article, the brother mentioned in the article is Steve Konchalski who is the head coach at St. Francis Xavier University in Canada. He recently became the winningest university coach in Canada, has 3 national championships, was the coach for Canada's national team in the mid 90's and is known as Canada's 'Coach K' (in fact I think he earned the moniker before Duke's Coach K ;)). The two Coach K's met in an exhibition game in Nov '04 at Cameron. If memory serves me, Duke won ;)

This is why I always enjoy hearing about how Tom Konchalski is doing, as invariably there is a mention of his brother Steve, here in Nova Scotia, which may or may not discuss the great success he has had.

hedevil
06-09-2010, 01:46 PM
This is a very good read on Kyrie.

As far as the part of Kyrie being more selfish with the ball when the game is on the line, that may be true for his highschool team, however at Duke, I see him as the 3rd, possibly 4th scoring option (more of a distributor). In scenarios similar to those described in the article, during crunch time, I think that our best options will be for Kyrie to penetrate and dish. Unless, of course, an easy basket presents himself, then by all means...

Due to the weapons available, I think an unselfish Kyrie is a perfect fit for Duke this year.