PDA

View Full Version : Duke #48 in the country in royalties?

left_hook_lacey
06-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Some of the bigger football schools are in the top 5-10 as expected, but I really thought we'd be closer to UNC on this list. UNC comes in at 7 while we're 48?

http://www.clc.com/clcweb/publishing.nsf/Content/Second+Quarter+Rankings+2009-2010

airowe
06-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Besides Notre Dame, I believe Duke is the first private school on the list. Also, why does it only count sales in the 4th quarter of '09. Seems an odd time period, no?

JG Nothing
06-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Besides Notre Dame, I believe Duke is the first private school on the list. Also, why does it only count sales in the 4th quarter of '09. Seems an odd time period, no?

Syracuse and Miami are ahead of Duke.

TheOrb
06-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Syracuse is also private. So is Miami i think.

enrollment might play into it. those first 5 schools are HUGE. like 35,000 undergrads and up. outside of the Domers, the first 20 are huge.

left_hook_lacey
06-03-2010, 02:39 PM

Good point. Maybe they publish this report every quarter? Or perhaps, maybe more logical, they use the end of year quarter because of the big shopping months, Nov and Dec.

SCMatt33
06-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Good point. Maybe they publish this report every quarter? Or perhaps, maybe more logical, they use the end of year quarter because of the big shopping months, Nov and Dec.

They do. If you go to the "rankings" tab on the side, they have other quarters listed. They have already released the third quarter rankings from Jan 1 to Mar 31 in which Duke moves up to 42.

Also, does this company represent Duke for all licensing? I seem to remember buying some things in the past few years that didn't have their sticker on it. I don't know if that has changed now with the current Nike contract, though.

left_hook_lacey
06-03-2010, 04:58 PM
They do. If you go to the "rankings" tab on the side, they have other quarters listed. They have already released the third quarter rankings from Jan 1 to Mar 31 in which Duke moves up to 42.

Also, does this company represent Duke for all licensing? I seem to remember buying some things in the past few years that didn't have their sticker on it. I don't know if that has changed now with the current Nike contract, though.

I think they are pretty much the be all and end all for anything that is "official" merchandise. I'm not 100% sure though. But it seems any type of college apparal that I've ever bought, even Nike etc., still had this sticker somewhere on the tag or shirt/hat, whatever it is.

I wasn't a business major, but it sounds like they are the grand puba of "official" merchandise licensing. From their website......

"The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) is the nation’s leading collegiate trademark licensing and marketing company, assisting collegiate institutions in protecting, managing and developing their brands.

The mission of CLC is to be the guiding force in collegiate trademark licensing and one of the top sports licensing firms in the country. As such, CLC is dedicated to being a center of excellence in providing licensing services of the highest quality to its member institutions, licensees, retailers, and consumers.

Founded in 1981, CLC is the oldest and largest collegiate licensing agency in the nation and currently represents nearly 200 colleges, universities, bowl games, athletic conferences, The Heisman Trophy, and the NCAA (including the Men's and Women's Final Four, the College World Series, and all NCAA Championships).

CLC is a full-service licensing and marketing company, which employs a staff of 80 licensing professionals with the capability to establish and manage every aspect of a collegiate licensing program."

Devilsfan
06-03-2010, 05:46 PM
This must be only one of the firms that universities can be associated with. The are some mega universities not listed thus I believe this is not an official listing of ALL NCAA D-1 schools. The Ohio State University, UCLA, UTenn are just two not on the list.

Newton_14
06-03-2010, 07:58 PM
This is not a good indicator. As Airowe mentioned they only looked at one short period of time, and they only counted schools that use CLC and not all do. Examples of schools that don't are USC, Ohio St, etc.

MarkD83
06-03-2010, 08:20 PM

With the amount of Duke stuff I bought after Apr 2, Duke should move right up this list.

left_hook_lacey
06-04-2010, 09:16 AM
This must be only one of the firms that universities can be associated with. The are some mega universities not listed thus I believe this is not an official listing of ALL NCAA D-1 schools. The Ohio State University, UCLA, UTenn are just two not on the list.

Tennessee is #12 on the list.

UCLA is #37