jimsumner
06-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Note Duke-Alabama

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/060310aaa.html

Duvall
06-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Note Duke-Alabama

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/060310aaa.html

Regionally televised? How is Duke going to shock the world if only part of the country is watching?

wolfpackdevil
06-03-2010, 12:22 PM
These are great times for the first couple Duke football games.

The first game of the year is the 7pm game at home against Elon. This will call for some great tailgating and pre-game festivities a lot like last year.

And the game against Alabama is primetime TV. The 3:30 slot on ABC is the biggest TV slot of the week for college football and it will be very cool to see all of the excitment for that game.

David
06-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Regionally televised? How is Duke going to shock the world if only part of the country is watching?

No worries. When Duke takes a touchdown lead into the locker room at halftime, ABC will switch the entire country over to our game to watch us finish off the Tide. It will be sweet.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Unfortunately, the Duke-Alabama game is on Yom Kippur, the holiest day on the Jewish calendar. I was hoping they would delay it until the evening, as the holiday ends at sunset. These conflicts are inevitable but it is too bad that many Duke students and fans might have to miss the game.

devildeac
06-03-2010, 01:13 PM
These are great times for the first couple Duke football games.

The first game of the year is the 7pm game at home against Elon. This will call for some great tailgating and pre-game festivities a lot like last year.

And the game against Alabama is primetime TV. The 3:30 slot on ABC is the biggest TV slot of the week for college football and it will be very cool to see all of the excitment for that game.

Just be sure you drag your Dad and some of his famous ginger-plum pork loin to that Elon game at about 4 PM to help the the season started ;>)).

30scheyer
06-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Yes, I'm a newb at this Duke football thing, so I will appreciate any tailgating tips and hints. Here is what I have so far:

season football tix
Iron Dukes membership with football parking pass

My son will be a freshman so he is a rookie at tailgating too.

Thx in advance...

Reilly
06-04-2010, 12:19 PM
For tailgating tips and hints for a new Duke football fan ...

... come out for the "Devil Walk". It usually starts 2.5 hours before kickoff as the team gets off buses at the bus stop in front of the Chapel, then the band, mascot and team walk though campus, and walk through the parking lot in front of Card Gym (and Cameron) where the blue tailgating tents are set up. So, make your way from your parking spot over to the parade route to cheer the team as it goes by.

In the area in front of Card Gym and Cameron, Duke has tried to make it very festive. There's often a good live band playing there, a display of old Duke football memorabilia under a small tent, folks selling Chik-Fil-A sandwiches, moonbounces and Sumo-wrestler-fake-fat suits for kids to partake in.

Wallace Wade opens 1.5 hours before kickoff.

A sort of lost tradition but one seemingly sort of coming back is the shaking/dangling of car keys for kickoffs.

Learn the words to "Fight Fight Blue Devils" and "Blue and White."
http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/history/songs.html

Buy the Duke Pep Band CD from the bookstore -- it's great to listen to when driving over to the game.
http://www.shopdukestores.duke.edu/ePOS/this_category=70&store=106&item_number=65402&form=shared3/gm/detail.html&design=106

pbc2
06-04-2010, 12:56 PM
In addition to the pep band, be sure to listen to Bob Harris, the voice of the Blue Devils, while tailgating.

I second the Blue Devil walk - everyone should be there for it. It's a great new tradition, and it means a lot to the team.

jimsumner
06-04-2010, 01:00 PM
"My son will be a freshman so he is a rookie at tailgating too. "

The students are sleeping off their hangovers from the night before.

Sorry, I thought you knew. :)

Dev11
06-04-2010, 07:12 PM

30scheyer, don't bother trying to see your son on gameday, he will likely be busy at the student tailgate.

Jimsumner, you are incorrect. The students are up well before the adults to begin the Tailgate. Please see the Blue Zone about 4 hours before kickoff if you have any doubts.

Who's ready to go bowling this year?

Dev11
06-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Unfortunately, the Duke-Alabama game is on Yom Kippur, the holiest day on the Jewish calendar. I was hoping they would delay it until the evening, as the holiday ends at sunset. These conflicts are inevitable but it is too bad that many Duke students and fans might have to miss the game.

And yeah, second to this. Given how often we've had evening games the past two years with Cut, I would have expected otherwise, but I guess Alabama is more the controlling factor in when the game is played, and its probably not as relevant to them. Oh well. Shabbat shalom, ya'll!

30scheyer
06-04-2010, 07:40 PM
30scheyer, don't bother trying to see your son on gameday, he will likely be busy at the student tailgate.

Jimsumner, you are incorrect. The students are up well before the adults to begin the Tailgate. Please see the Blue Zone about 4 hours before kickoff if you have any doubts.

Who's ready to go bowling this year?
30scheyer, don't bother trying to see your son on gameday, he will likely be busy at the student tailgate

I know, I know, I'm just going to try and bribe him to stop by with steak kabobs at my tailgate

jimsumner
06-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Dev 11,

You haven't been on the board very long, so likely didn't understand the reference.

A few years ago, maybe Roof's last year, we had a lengthy discussion of the subject. A Duke student seriously proposed that Duke turn down noon-TV games because noon on Saturday was too early for students to attend games. It seems that they were all out drinking the night before and were still sleeping it off at noon.

You might note the use of the smiley face.

It was great fun but he/she was quite serious and had the support of a few posters. Those posters who drive 200 or so miles for home games weren't notably sympathetic.

Maybe someone can find that thread.

Cutcliffe has increased student interest and involvement but he would be the first to acknowledge that more needs to be done in this area. There's still too much room in the student section.

CameronBornAndBred
06-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Jimsumner, you are incorrect. The students are up well before the adults to begin the Tailgate.
I doubt it. The Brunchgate grills are fired up between 7 and 8am on Devil's Alley, and we have neighbors that are setting up the same time we are. (Gotta start early if you are gonna eat well!)

OZZIE4DUKE
06-04-2010, 08:57 PM

I doubt it. The Brunchgate grills are fired up between 7 and 8am on Devil's Alley, and we have neighbors that are setting up the same time we are. (Gotta start early if you are gonna eat well!)

Just be sure you drag your Dad and some of his famous ginger-plum pork loin to that Elon game at about 4 PM to help the the season started ;>)).
Brunchgate will be in full force again this year, and yes, we start around 7 a.m., even for the 7 p.m. games, and we continue after the games for at least an hour or two. Wolfpackdevil, you and your dad are members, aren't you? I've got Jarhead on the email list, although I haven't received his contribution yet... Jim Sumner, how come you haven't come by and joined us. 30Sheyer, please come by on Sept. 4th and introduce yourself, and then join us! :cool:

jimsumner
06-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Well, Oz, you've never actually invited me. :)

And Devilwithabluedress puts out a pretty mean spread. So, there's competition. Just saying.

Reilly
06-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Wasn't there some (admin.) talk to re-directing the student tailgate and re-orienting it to Main West given the Devil Walk? Thought I read that somewhere a couple months ago, or maybe that's just my wishful thinking. We have just about the prettiest campus in America that is tailor-made for hanging out pre-game, where the team can walk right through all the partying students, and it's a shame to let that central casting setting go to waste.

devildeac
06-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Well, Oz, you've never actually invited me. :)

And Devilwithabluedress puts out a pretty mean spread. So, there's competition. Just saying.

You can have your appetizers with Devil with a Blue Dress and then come join us for the main course/entree;). We shared a few comestibles with her last year and she's welcome to join us for a beverage and a slice or brisket, tenderloin or some seafood this year, too. Jarhead and allenmurray have sipped, nibbled and chatted with us the last couple years and we even hoisted a few fine ales with Bob Green last year when he was able to attend his only game.

30scheyer
06-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Thanks Ozzie for the invite; color me (Duke blue) there.

Just let me know the specs as the date approaches so I can find you guys. I can't be the early bird with you guys because I coach on Sat. mornings, but I live just an hour away and will get there pronto.

roywhite
06-05-2010, 06:56 AM
You can have your appetizers with Devil with a Blue Dress and then come join us for the main course/entree;). We shared a few comestibles with her last year and she's welcome to join us for a beverage and a slice or brisket, tenderloin or some seafood this year, too. Jarhead and allenmurray have sipped, nibbled and chatted with us the last couple years and we even hoisted a few fine ales with Bob Green last year when he was able to attend his only game.

Devil with a Blue Dress is a hostess with the mostest. Also has a great location for her tent. Legends like Crazy Towel Guy and bill brill come by.

Hope to meet a few more board folks this fall. FB season 3 months away?:(

uh_no
06-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Wasn't there some (admin.) talk to re-directing the student tailgate and re-orienting it to Main West given the Devil Walk? Thought I read that somewhere a couple months ago, or maybe that's just my wishful thinking. We have just about the prettiest campus in America that is tailor-made for hanging out pre-game, where the team can walk right through all the partying students, and it's a shame to let that central casting setting go to waste.

that might be the worst decision the duke administration ever made....both for the school and the students

Dev11
06-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Dev 11,

You haven't been on the board very long, so likely didn't understand the reference.

A few years ago, maybe Roof's last year, we had a lengthy discussion of the subject. A Duke student seriously proposed that Duke turn down noon-TV games because noon on Saturday was too early for students to attend games. It seems that they were all out drinking the night before and were still sleeping it off at noon.

You might note the use of the smiley face.

It was great fun but he/she was quite serious and had the support of a few posters. Those posters who drive 200 or so miles for home games weren't notably sympathetic.

Maybe someone can find that thread.

Cutcliffe has increased student interest and involvement but he would be the first to acknowledge that more needs to be done in this area. There's still too much room in the student section.

Thanks for the info, jimsumner. I think that was before my time at Duke, though Roof's last year was my freshman year. I can't believe a student would write that in the current Tailgate formation, since a good deal of the student population gets up early for it (though admittedly many are hungover). I do appreciate being filled in on the old news whenever its relevant.

As for moving the Tailgate to the main quad, it was proposed but ultimately shot down. If you've never been by the first lot to see it, go watch it for about 3 seconds and you will understand that we don't need it somewhere visible, as long as it is the way its been the past 3 or 4 years. Ive been slightly involved in the discussions about Tailgate on the student side, and its been really interesting to hear the arguments about why it is the way it is and how we can change it. Id be happy to share insight on the discussions with any of you.

Reilly
06-06-2010, 01:59 PM

As for moving the Tailgate to the main quad, it was proposed but ultimately shot down. ... Ive been slightly involved in the discussions about Tailgate on the student side, and its been really interesting to hear the arguments about why it is the way it is and how we can change it. Id be happy to share insight on the discussions with any of you.

When was the moving of the student gathering proposed and shot down? Have there been any discussions about this topic since the end of last football season? Please share your insight.

I realize the issue stirs passions. My point: I really don't care what the students do otherwise, they can be as crazy and debauched as they want to be ... in addition to all that, I wish more of them would also post for the Devil Walk, and for the game, in order to support the team, and in order to take part (along with other fans and alums) in the collective (meaning a certain coming all-together) Gameday Saturday experience that college football can be about. We have a great campus to foster that university-wide coming-together; I wish we and the students used it moreso to that end.

PumpkinFunk
06-06-2010, 03:25 PM

I won't miss the game for Yom Kippur. Perhaps that makes me a bad Jew (hey, I know I am one) but Duke football is a lot more important to me than a religion I don't care too much about.

I am pumped for football this season. Maybe because I just want the bowl game after my few years of dedication to band through some rough years, but really, I see us turning the corner. How we play the first 4 games will set the tone - we must beat Elon, Wake, and Army. Bama... I dunno there. I'm gonna be hopeful but skeptical until it happens. They are a scary team on paper, but they also are missing a lot of their defensive stars who are now in the NFL and could be a team who we could surprise.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-07-2010, 02:39 PM
I won't miss the game for Yom Kippur. Perhaps that makes me a bad Jew (hey, I know I am one) but Duke football is a lot more important to me than a religion I don't care too much about.

I am pumped for football this season. Maybe because I just want the bowl game after my few years of dedication to band through some rough years, but really, I see us turning the corner. How we play the first 4 games will set the tone - we must beat Elon, Wake, and Army. Bama... I dunno there. I'm gonna be hopeful but skeptical until it happens. They are a scary team on paper, but they also are missing a lot of their defensive stars who are now in the NFL and could be a team who we could surprise.

I understand your concern about Alabama. It's easy to be overwhelmed by their accomplishments and reputation. I also know that in order to become better, Duke has to begin to play the big boys. We've seen what playing against a high level of competition has done as a component of building and maintaining a successful basketball program, men's and women's teams.

My mindset is that I know that Coach Cutcliffe will do a through job of preparing our guys and that he will develop a game plan designed to maximize what our guys can do while playing up any weaknesses on the Alabama side. Beyond that, I expect our guys to play hard and play smart. As fans, we need to focus on what we can do to contribute to an environment which gives our guys some sort of edge because of playing at home.

My top concern is the possibility of significant injuries this early in the season, injuries which could cause problems the remainder of the year. (We saw that last year as a result of the Carolina game though the extent didn't become clear until the season ended.)