PDA

View Full Version : K Academy Participants

brianl
06-01-2010, 10:04 AM
I read last month that battier was attending the K Academy this weekend. Does anyone know or have any knowledge of how or if they're even remotely accessible.

I have a jersey that I've tried for a couple of years to have signed and I'm thinking about making the drive down to Durham to try again.

Plus grad some Champs gear. (So much to choose from):D

If anyone has some insight on this weekend's events, I'd be most appreciative.

airowe
06-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Here's the article from the end of April:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204938907

I'd call the SID office and ask them how to get items signed by the participants. Be honest with them, and they will be with you.

Or, you could camp out in the WaDuke parking lot and stalk the guys...

studdlee10
06-01-2010, 11:52 AM
During summer school a couple years back, I went down to Cameron to try to get pictures with some of the K Academy participants. It is somewhat frowned on to bother the coaches, etc during the event as the participants are there to coach the campers. They go into Cameron early in the AM and do not leave till late in the afternoon, often later if they play pick up. I was able to meet Coach K and take a picture with him, but he did express some hesitation, making it clear to me that the event's focus is on the participants and their families.

Just wanted to give you my experiences before you made the trek down.

airowe
06-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Quite a list:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/7708948/

cspan37421
06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Bobby Hurley! Would it be accurate to say that he's not been at very many of these before, or at least, since he retired from the NBA and got into horses?

I've seen a lot of pictures of Alarie, Bilas, Abdelnaby, Laettner, Jason Williams, and other past greats at these kind of events, but I've never noticed Hurley among them. Perhaps getting back with his brother at Wagner has rekindled his interest?

He was SO important to our program. Do we win in '91 and '92 without Bobby Hurley? Yes we had Hill (x2) and Laettner, but point guard - a rather important position, this year notwithstanding!

SmartDevil
06-03-2010, 03:08 AM
A little surprised to see our man in the White House Reggie Love listed as planning to attend. Those folks I have known who worked in various White Houses chose to stick pretty close to "home," particularly if they had regular interaction with the President, and Reggie's job certainly falls into that catgegory.

Maybe Reggie and the Prez had a tourney bet that the Devils won for him!

davekay1971
06-03-2010, 07:27 AM
Maybe the Prez is coming down with Reggie to hang with K and bone up on his basketball skills and pow-wow on leadership styles? :D

airowe
06-03-2010, 10:01 AM
K Academy has more to celebrate this year:

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/7781490/article-K-Academy-has-more-to-celebrate-than-usual?instance=homefourthleft

chrisheery
06-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Has anyone ever been to K Academy? What is the level of play like? (I am kinda asking whether it would be worthwhile for someone who plays a lot and is still young, or is it mainly older guys)

roywhite
06-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Has anyone ever been to K Academy? What is the level of play like? (I am kinda asking whether it would be worthwhile for someone who plays a lot and is still young, or is it mainly older guys)

Have not been, but have a good friend who has; he said:

Level of play---not very good; not many good young players
Level of fun---very high

SupaDave
06-03-2010, 01:12 PM

Level of fun---very high

Well you have to be at least 35 and it's 10K a camper. It's also about more than just basketball. That will keep lots of young folks out of the picture. I became eligible last year but my plan is stay in shape till I'm 40 and then go dominate the competition...

Duvall
06-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Well you have to be at least 35 and it's 10K a camper. It's also about more than just basketball.

Yeah, it looks like it's about extracting large sums of money for the privilege of playing basketball.

roywhite
06-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah, it looks like it's about extracting large sums of money for the privilege of playing basketball.

Don't know the exact numbers, but a good chunk of money goes to the Duke Legacy Fund and the Emily K Center.

gvtucker
06-03-2010, 01:34 PM

Level of fun---very high

While there aren't many good young players, there are plenty of good players that aren't so young. Most all of the players played competitively at one point in their life, and there's a healthy number of D 1 and D III players on all of the teams.

For someone that's 40 years old and played at a small college somewhere and still plays regularly in competitive pickups, the games will probably be at a higher level than he sees any other time of the year.

Duvall
06-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Don't know the exact numbers, but a good chunk of money goes to the Duke Legacy Fund and the Emily K Center.

Good to hear that. I wasn't criticizing, just a bit amused.

DevilHorns
06-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Cool write-up by ESPN journalist Geno W on the K camp.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=5265474

Farn
06-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Cool article. Nice to see some insight in to that camp. I am not surprised in the slightest at how intense the coaches are, especially Wojo.

Exiled_Devil
06-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Well you have to be at least 35 and it's 10K a camper. It's also about more than just basketball. That will keep lots of young folks out of the picture. I became eligible last year but my plan is stay in shape till I'm 40 and then go dominate the competition...

I don't know Dave. When I was there, one of the most fit guys was in his 60's.

For the record, I didn't score a single basket, but I was great rebounder. :)

WiJoe
06-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Fine piece by espn writer Wojo. But D-o-o-k-i-e-s? I will NEVER understand how media types continue to screw that up.

ChicagoCrazy84
06-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Im 26 so I hope that when I become eligible to play, Coach K is still around. Do you think it would continue on without K? It probably would lose some of its allure, but you could still make it happen. I would make it rain, so here's to hoping the tradition continues!!

Troublemaker
06-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Nice DBP video on the 2018 K Academy. As always, great seeing and hearing from familiar faces. Viewers might feel good after watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA0ASuwCdr0

HereBeforeCoachK
06-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Wow, awesome video.....loved it! And some blasts from the past....Chip Engellend.with a speaking role..and I think I saw David Henderson.....old school....

UrinalCake
06-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Years I ago was hoping that I would make it to 35 and be a millionaire so I could afford to attend this camp. I got halfway there! No I don’t have half a million dollars, but I did make it to 35.

NSDukeFan
06-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Years I ago was hoping that I would make it to 35 and be a millionaire so I could afford to attend this camp. I got halfway there! No I don’t have half a million dollars, but I did make it to 35.

I am well over 35, but do not have the million dollars either but will still dream about K camp for another few years.

Turk
06-12-2018, 07:53 AM
I am well over 35, but do not have the million dollars either but will still dream about K camp for another few years.

I think this is #1 on my bucket list, but at 55, I'm afraid my window might be closing. A few years ago, I got in good enough shape to do a 100 mile camping and hiking trek with the Scouts at Philmont, NM, but I've since given it all back and then some.

I think I could swing the $$$, although Mrs. Turk would point out we still have a small flock of young Turks still on the payroll...

weezie
06-12-2018, 08:19 AM
...Mrs. Turk would point out we still have a small flock of young Turks still on the payroll...

What was that Denis Leary joke about his father saying young Denis could go cry while pushing the lawnmower and that it would constitute excellent emotional therapy?

Not to cast any aspersions on your fine young children though! That joke always made me laugh. Especially since I would watch my older brothers cut the lawn.

UrinalCake
06-12-2018, 01:22 PM
I think this is #1 on my bucket list, but at 55, I'm afraid my window might be closing.

I thought that there was a way you could pay to attend, not participate on the court, but still go through the whole event and receive a jersey and stuff. I could be wrong though.

esavage
06-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Here is a fantastic blog on K Academy from camper, Sarah Goswick: https://blueinthe212.blogspot.com/2018/06/june-8-2018-this-is-life-in-color.html?m=1

nmduke2001
06-12-2018, 02:16 PM
I considered doing it this year as a birthday present to myself. Since it is a milestone birthday year for both my wife and me, we decided to join the team in Maui instead. We went to Maui in 2011 with an 18 month old and one in the oven (my 18 month old and Andre Dawkins made the cover photo of DBR). This year she's 8 and her brother, now 6, will be able to enjoy the islands.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-12-2018, 05:48 PM
I considered doing it this year as a birthday present to myself. Since it is a milestone birthday year for both my wife and me, we decided to join the team in Maui instead. We went to Maui in 2011 with an 18 month old and one in the oven (my 18 month old and Andre Dawkins made the cover photo of DBR). This year she's 8 and her brother, now 6, will be able to enjoy the islands.

Ooh nice... a few years ago my wife had a milestone birthday and we had a milestone anniversary.....we bopped off to Antigua....great trip. Not sure how much is left after that killer hurricane last year though...

4Gen
06-12-2018, 07:09 PM
Here is a fantastic blog on K Academy from camper, Sarah Goswick: https://blueinthe212.blogspot.com/2018/06/june-8-2018-this-is-life-in-color.html?m=1

I so enjoyed this blog. I hope somebody gives Sarah a scholarship to attend year after year until her jersey is retired.

UrinalCake
06-12-2018, 09:47 PM
I loved the blog too, thanks for sharing! Really surprised there have been so few female campers (she was only the second ever).

4Gen
06-14-2018, 09:22 PM

I'm bumping this because I think Sarah's blog is insightful about Duke hoop excellence at whatever it attempts. And besides, you gotta adore Sarah.

thedukelamere
06-15-2018, 02:50 PM

Thanks for sharing! The best part of it being so long was that it took enough time to read on my phone that my wife was forced to ask, "What the hell are you reading?"

Perfect segue into my pitch, "Oh nothing, just an amazing story detailing bucketlist item #1: K Academy."

Not a chance that she'd allow me to spend 10k on anything, but I'll save my $7.69 a day over the next 3 and a half years to be ready at 35 just in case ;)