PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget the old guys!

mgtr
06-01-2010, 02:13 AM
Seeing the front page picture of David Thompson imitating Luke Skywalker reminded me of a thought I had some time ago. Someone ought to be putting togeher films of some of the early great basketball players. I think that youngsters today think that awe-inspiring performances only began with LeBron, Kobe, and Dwight.
While these guys are great, no question, they had predecessors who weren't too shabby -- Russell, Chamberlain, Cousy, Barry, Pettit, Robertson, West, Magic Johnson, Bird, Thompson, Baylor, Thurman, Walton, Dr. J, Marevich.
Chamberlain may have been the greatest athlete to play the game, Russell the greatest team player, Cousy invented point guard, Dr. J invented "flash." Pistol Pete and David Thompson were in separate categories (I don't know what you call it). The battles among Chamberlain, Russell and Thurmond were legendary.
Somebody should be putting together a film retrospective about this group of superstars.. If it exists, and I missed it, I apologize. Please let me know about it so I can buy it. If it doesn't exist, put me down for a cash money purchase when it is put together.

ricks68
06-01-2010, 02:36 AM
Just put in Pete Maravich into the You tube box and you will see some amazing stuff.

ricks