PDA

View Full Version : Celtics v. Lakers dicussion

Osiagledknarf
05-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Well the finals is set; Celtics vs. Lakers once again... One of the most historic rivalries in all of sports.

Let's get ready for Kobe vs. the big 3!!!

moonpie23
05-30-2010, 09:45 AM
i think the celtics take the title again this year......they simply have more guys playing on a more efficient level....just by a little...

can fish hit shots? Sure, but he's no ray allen......

bynum? odom, gasol? Vs. big baby, perkins AND KG

then there's this kobe fellow.....but he'll revert to trying to take over the game way too early when the celtics start locking up his buddies...

oh, what's that paul pierce guy?? ugh.. artest could be the wild card....

i despise both these teams...

hurleyfor3
05-30-2010, 10:59 AM
i despise both these teams...

As a Celtics fan, I found myself rooting for the Lakers in the last few days. And I think most Celtics fans felt the same way. This would never happen in other sports, certainly not with us and unc.

PumpkinFunk
05-30-2010, 11:05 AM
I have to think that the Lakers will win this one. The Celtics are playing well, but I cannot bet against Kobe the way he's playing, and when you add Gasol and Odom playing great, Artest finally coming around, and of course Derek Fisher being consistent as always, I don't see the Celtics being able to stop them.

CoachJ10
05-30-2010, 12:07 PM
I am a Bucks fan, so I have no allegiance to either team...but I do have one observation from these playoffs.

Is this Celtics team not easily one of the most dislikable teams we have seen compete for an NBA title? Outside of Ray Allen and Doc Rivers (and of course Sheldon) who are good peeps...the rest of the team are not people I would want to cheer for. From the unrelenting scowl of Kendrick Perkins and the bullying of Kevin Garnett...to the theatrics of Paul Pierce (at this point in his career, there is no one who takes advantage of the horribleness that is NBA officiating more than PP) and the traveling of Rajon Rondo (who has taken that to a new level)...I find myself in the odd position of cheering for the Lakers.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention the Big Baby himself...

JasonEvans
05-30-2010, 12:07 PM

Ummm, the Celtics ain't been "The Big 3" for a while now. Rondo vs. Fisher will go a long way toward determining the outcome of this series, I think. Rajon probably needs to have big games for Boston to win. Fish is a crafty vet and still a darn good player.

--Jason "I pick the Lakers... but it will be close" Evans

Osiagledknarf
05-30-2010, 03:07 PM
I see the keys to this series as follows:

Rondo vs. Fisher: Rondo has taken his game to an entirely level this postseason. This is a HUGE mismatch for the Lakers and Rondo dominated this match up during the regular season. I see this as a huge advantage for the Celtics.

Lakers bench vs. Celtics Bench: The Celtics bench has come alive this postseason. Rasheed Wallace, Tony Allen, and the most recently Nate Robinson have been doing the job. Odom was great vs. the Suns last series, but he is there only consistent guy off that bench. I see if Rasheed Wallace is effective and making outside shots, this will be a problem for the Lakers to defend. They will have to bring out Bynum or Gasol to guard him from the outside which will allow guys like Kevin Garnett and Kendrick Perkins on the inside.

Celtics will have to prevent Odom from rebounding down low and get the Lakers 2nd and 3rd chances on the offensive end and starting fast breaks.

The toughness of the Lakers big man: This has been questioned throughout the years on both Bynum and Gasol. In the 2008 finals, Pau Gasol got pushed around and was realtively ineffective in that series. They need to body up KG, Perkins, Davis and Wallace who are one of the most physical groups in the league in order to be successful.

How to the Celtics contain Kobe: They did this rather effectively in the 2008 finals, but Kobe is in the zone right now and there is no James Posey. Paul Pierce and Tony Allen will have to do a good job controlling an unstoppable force known as Kobe Bryant.

Prediction: Celtics in 6.

ice-9
05-30-2010, 03:17 PM
It's all Rondo. Without Rondo to penetrate and create plays, the Celtics will struggle against the Lakers' length.

MisterRoddy
05-30-2010, 03:54 PM
We know what we will get out of Rondo and Kobe
Andrew Bynums health could also play a big factor because with him, Pau, and LO, I believe the Laker's front court is a step above a noticeably older KG led Boston frontcourt.
We know Paul Pierce will get his

I believe it will come down to the jumpshooters in Ray Allen and Derek Fisher. Whoever is hitting shots on their team on a regular basis will go a long way in deciding the winner.

I also believe the play of bench guards Nate Robinson, Tony Allen, Jordan Farmar, and Sasha Vujacic will be a big factor. IMO, without Nate Robinson's performance in Game 6 for the Celts, the Magic wouldve won that game, brought it back to ORL and eventually won the series.

I believe the Lakers will end up winning this one though with Kobe being too much for the Celtics to handle. As he showed in his Game 6 performance against the Suns, he has still got it.

DukieInBrasil
05-31-2010, 01:22 PM
this is the Finals that I least wanted to see out of all possible combinations from the Conference Finals. In fact, it is the polar opposite of the one I really did want to see, Suns v. Magic.
Can't say that I hate Kobe, but I have always hated the Lakers. I have always liked the Celtics but I detest Rasheed Wallace and Shelden is essentially not going to play in the series. So there is really nothing to pull for.

Big Pappa
05-31-2010, 03:44 PM

Ummm, the Celtics ain't been "The Big 3" for a while now.

I agree. IMO Rondo will be the second best player on the floor and the best one wearing green and white.