PDA

View Full Version : Lax All-Americans...Duke got robbed!

DukeBlueNikeShox
05-29-2010, 11:39 PM
http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2010/05/27/usila-announces-division-i-all-america-honors?page=1

1. Please explain how Max Quinzani didn't get 1st Team?! He's scored over 65 goals this season, scored at least 3 goals in 15 games this season, and scored in 65 straight games. Don't get it...

2. Justin Turri and Zack Howell didn't even make Honorable Mention AA?! I have a hard time believing there are 88 players in the country better than those two...

3. Syracuse had 10 players who earned AA honors, yet, they lost in the first round of the tourney....at home.

4. ACC Breakdown:
1. Virginia - 10 (2 1st, 3 2nd, 1 3rd, 2 HM)
2. dUNCe - 5 (2 1st, 1 2nd, 0 3rd, 2 HM)
3. Maryland - 6 (0 1st, 1 2nd, 2 3rd, 3 HM)
4. Duke - 5 (1 1st, 2 2nd, 2 3rd, 0 HM)

5. Notre Dame - 5 (0 1st, 0 2nd, 0 3rd, 5 HM)

-bdbd
05-29-2010, 11:50 PM
As they say, "the best revenge is living well. "

Duke Lax corollary: "The best revenge...is winning the championship."

:rolleyes:

Is this just more anti-Duke sentiment after the NCAA granted our players a 5th year eligibility after the Nifong scandal cancelled our "championship" season????

Whatever. It'll all look pretty silly and soon forgotten if we win onb Monday!

weezie
05-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Another good revenge is having two of your former players interviewed on the stadium screen during the games today since they are now excellent pro-lax players with great reputations.
Even if the 'hoo tools booed them, it was still pretty cool.
Plus, we're a very good looking team of young men. So there.

DukeBlueNikeShox
05-30-2010, 12:05 AM
I just love how when they mention Duke players getting a 5th year or that Max honored his scholarship by enrolling at Duke, they fail to mention how Virginia gained Ken Clausen, who opted out of his scholarship to Duke...

DevilHorns
05-30-2010, 12:52 AM
I love going into a tourney NOT being the overall number 1 seed. It just feels better that way.

Lets take it to them Irish. If anyone wants to pre-game Monday, I know some Dukies that will likely get some lunch and some drinks at Pickles (next to Camden Yards) beforehand.

devildeac
05-30-2010, 07:07 AM
I just love how when they mention Duke players getting a 5th year or that Max honored his scholarship by enrolling at Duke, they fail to mention how Virginia gained Ken Clausen, who opted out of his scholarship to Duke...

As a corollary, I believe they also failed to mention how the uva coach was such a whiny little canine over the fact that anyone on our team could stay for an extra year of eligibility due to the fiasco. Did he "poach" more than just the one recruit?

buddy
05-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Starsia whined about the 5th year, but was more than happy to have Peter Lamade play his 5th year at UVA. I have empathy for the tribulations of the UVA squad(s) over the past two or three years, but not for Starsia.

burnspbesq
05-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Being a jerk must be considered a requirement to be the lax coach at Hoo U. Starsia's predecessors include Bruce Arena.

Kewlswim
05-31-2010, 12:04 AM
Starsia was not the only coach of administrator to criticize the decision to grant a fifth year. However, he was the most vocal and the one who had the least complaint. I would add that, when Peter Lamade went to UVA, Starsia gained not only a solid player, but also a tremendous scouting resource about the strongest team on UVA’s schedule that year and one it ended up playing twice.

Nevertheless, understand the point that Starsia was trying to make. While he sympathized with the players, he felt that the Duke administration was the one that shot itself in the foot by cancelling the entire season. Granting the fifth year of eligibility prevented those responsible for the problem from being held accountable. Starsia has a point. The Duke administration did not lobby for the fifth year out of the goodness of its heart. It was trying to limit its liability in the anticipated civil suits.

While I too would like to see the Duke administration held accountable, that should not have been done at the expense of the players.

Hi,

As much as I like to support Duke Administration, it so dropped the ball on this one that it will take me some time to forgive. I figured that stopping my annual giving to the University wasn't going to hurt Brodhead and his cronies, but the students so I decided to continue giving and even gave my first donation to the Iron Dukes this year in spite of living a couple of thousand miles away from campus. I must be an a softy or something. :( Then again, I give to the Iron Dukes and we win the Naty Championship in men's hoops and are poised to (with a little luck) win one in men's LAX too...coincidence...I don't think so.

GO DUKE!

MCFinARL
05-31-2010, 12:20 AM

Plus, PS, the 5th years at Duke aren't much different from any redshirt player at another team, because they didn't play or practice for most of the season that they lost. So they are older, yes, but not that much more experienced. Nor did Duke receive dispensation to increase the number of lacrosse scholarships, etc.--so the amount of advantage to the team from the ruling (as opposed to the advantage to the individual players, who were restored their full opportunity to play college lax) has been pretty significantly overstated by the complainers.

I sympathize, though, with the people who thought it let the university off the hook for their own bad decision, even though in the end I was glad the NCAA (to my complete surprise, frankly, because it was unprecedented--the NCAA hasn't ever been especially generous about granting hardship requests for extension of eligibility when athletes have actually played in any significant number of games during a season) made the decision that actually put the athletes first.

cspan37421
05-31-2010, 06:41 PM
As they say, "the best revenge is living well. "

Duke Lax corollary: "The best revenge...is winning the championship."

I suspect there are a number of Danowski's guys who would agree with you. Not reaching 200 goals? Only the 2nd most prolific scorer ever? I think being known as an NCAA Champion will go a long way to assuage those feelings of disappointment!

blueprofessor
05-31-2010, 07:00 PM
Howell made all-tourney---one of 4 Dukies. He was a third teamer all-America at worst.
How Bitter beat Max for 1st team all-A is baffling. Shameful.

Turri's omission from honorable mention (55 named, IIRC) is ridiculous.

We'll see how strong the prejudice is as the T is announced. Ned should win it, but....

Congrats, Devils. You guys are tough enough! Blueprofessor:D

4decadedukie
06-01-2010, 06:49 AM
I agree that these selections -- and the exclusion of several eminent Duke student-athletes -- are absurd. However, sometime in early 2011 a permanent blue and white sign will be added to Koskinen Stadium's fence line that says: "2010 NCAA Men's Lacrosse National Championship."

In 2060, when yesterday's victors are old men, I suspect that sign -- and all it represents -- will mean a GREAT deal more to them than individual selection to an All American team.