PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. Kentucky - Carolina BBQ Emergency!

neuro
05-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Please let me know if this is the right board for this, or perhaps I should move to main board.

The Problem: I am flying into RDU for my cousins wedding. I have not been to Durham in over 8 years, and I have not had Carolina BBQ since I graduated 1.5 decades ago. I was craving Bullock's BBQ SO BAD, and even got my wife excited about it. HOWEVER, I just figured out given the timing of our flights and the wedding obligations, coupled with Bullock's hours of operation, we will NOT be able to GO! Qu'ell Horreur Y'all!

My Question: Can someone recommend an alternative BBQ place that may be close to the airport (where the hotel and wedding stuff is going on)? It doesn't have to be the 'best' place, just a decent place that's easy to find that's not too far from the airport, and would have vinegar-based pulled pork que?

I'm going to look back through all the bbq threads to see what I can find, but if someone has a quick suggestion, let me know!

Neuro, aka Disappointed in NYC.

P.s. The apostrophe in 'quelle' was intentional.

Farlan
05-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Not the same as Bullocks, but there's a Smithfield's Chicken n' Bar-b-q on Davis drive in Morrisville which is just a hop, skip and jump from the airport. Definitely Eastern NC bar-b-q! Here's the website: http://scnbnc.com/.

2535Miles
05-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Bullock's (http://bullocksbbq.com/catering.html) offers catering services. Have them deliver the food to your hotel or wherever you're staying.
Good luck!

Verga3
05-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Backyard BBQ Pit is your best bet. The Q is great, but the veggies and desserts are amazing.......all "old school" homemade. Mac & cheese to die for.

http://www.sweetribs.com/backyard-bbq-durham-nc-story.html

JBDuke
05-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Barbeque is ALWAYS on-topic. I'll move this thread over to the King Board.

Greg_Newton
05-28-2010, 08:20 PM
I think the Q-Shack is very underrated. It's got more of a "chainey" feel than a homestyle restaurant like Bullocks or Smithfield, but it is deliiiiicious!

roywhite
05-28-2010, 08:39 PM
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=216&RefID=216

How about Allen & Son?

It's pretty close off I-40, exit 266 I believe, so it's probably within 20 minutes of the airport, if that works for you. Really good stuff; prices are a bit more expensive than most barbeque joints, but I guess you're not counting nickels on this trip.

weezie
05-28-2010, 08:39 PM
The Pit in Raleigh is going to be your best bet, since it's more cosmopolitan than local dives. Late hours, good bar. Kind of chintzy on the hush puppies but otherwise, pretty good. Beans are metz-a-metz, fried okra very nice.

I'm in the Que Shack contingent, too, the sides alone and the smoked turkey are absolutely 1st class. But, you haven't the time to lollygag all that way from RDU.

Indoor66
05-28-2010, 08:45 PM
But, you haven't the time to lollygag all that way from RDU.

We all know that Durham is THE place to lollygag! :p

striker219
05-29-2010, 12:26 AM
Barbeque is ALWAYS on-topic. I'll move this thread over to the King Board.

The DBR is so awesome.

The only thing missing is a thread on Britt's donuts.

Greg_Newton
05-29-2010, 02:29 AM
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=216&RefID=216

How about Allen & Son?

It's pretty close off I-40, exit 266 I believe, so it's probably within 20 minutes of the airport, if that works for you. Really good stuff; prices are a bit more expensive than most barbeque joints, but I guess you're not counting nickels on this trip.

D'oh, completely forgot about Allen & Son's. Can't beat 'em... might want to check the hours though, I believe they're closed on Mondays and whatnot.

slapthefloor12
05-29-2010, 08:19 AM
may want to call allen and son. i tried to go a few days ago and it was closed...with a little sign in the window that said that they were on vacation.

if not and you can make it to raleigh, the pit would be great (starting to become a raleigh landmark).

smithfield's should do the trick as well. all very good choices.

neuro
05-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Leaving in a hour, have taken names and addresses and numbers of all suggestions. One way or another we're going to get BBQ on this trip!

Bullock's will have to wait for another time. At Bullock's my freshman year I had 1) sweet tea 2) Brunswick stew 3) hushpupies 4) pulled pork...each one for the VERY FIRST TIME. Now that was taste-newness overload, and I've been addicted ever since!

Thanks again!

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Don't waste your time or valuable stomach capacity at Smithfields.

Same for the Pit in Raleigh. Food is mediocre at best. And there's absolutely no reason to go to an "upscale" barbecue restaurant. Who ever heard of a barbecue restaurant anyway! :eek:

cbfx3
05-29-2010, 11:08 AM
if pushed for time I seem to remember a bbq joint located inside RDU

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-29-2010, 12:01 PM
if pushed for time I seem to remember a bbq joint located inside RDU

Try this link for information about restaurants in RDU. http://www.rdu.com/shoprest/dining.htm

killerleft
05-29-2010, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=Dr. Rosenrosen;411860]Don't waste your time or valuable stomach capacity at Smithfields.

Same for the Pit in Raleigh. Food is mediocre at best. And there's absolutely no reason to go to an "upscale" barbecue restaurant. Who ever heard of a barbecue restaurant anyway! :eek:[/QUOTE

Ed Mitchell at The Pit can't cook BBQ?! Smithfield's is no good? Does a place have to hang a No-Pest Strip and have ketchup on the walls to be considered good?:)

If we ever did a blind taste-test, I'm betting plenty of DBR 'experts' would be embarrassed by the results.

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-29-2010, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=Dr. Rosenrosen;411860]Don't waste your time or valuable stomach capacity at Smithfields.

Same for the Pit in Raleigh. Food is mediocre at best. And there's absolutely no reason to go to an "upscale" barbecue restaurant. Who ever heard of a barbecue restaurant anyway! :eek:[/QUOTE

Ed Mitchell at The Pit can't cook BBQ?! Smithfield's is no good? Does a place have to hang a No-Pest Strip and have ketchup on the walls to be considered good?:)

If we ever did a blind taste-test, I'm betting plenty of DBR 'experts' would be embarrassed by the results.

Well, we're all entitled to our opinions, right? I went to the Pit b/c it was supposed to be so good and was amazingly disappointed. And IMO Smithfield's is a poor excuse for barbecue. Go if you're desperate. Maybe my standards for taste are too high. I like bullocks. I LOVE lexington bbq. This would be a great topic for that new show Food Wars...

tallguy
05-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Don't waste your time or valuable stomach capacity at Smithfields.

Same for the Pit in Raleigh. Food is mediocre at best. And there's absolutely no reason to go to an "upscale" barbecue restaurant. Who ever heard of a barbecue restaurant anyway! :eek:

While the Pit's bbq is overrated, it's not horrible by any stretch of the imagination. Also, Smithfield's has perfectly decent BBQ, and they have the best Brunswick stew anywhere, period.

magjayran
05-31-2010, 03:43 AM
Q Shack doesn't belong in any conversation about NC BBQ. They do a pretty straight forward Texas style.

brian2007
05-31-2010, 08:55 AM
Backyard BBQ Pit is your best bet. The Q is great, but the veggies and desserts are amazing.......all "old school" homemade. Mac & cheese to die for.

http://www.sweetribs.com/backyard-bbq-durham-nc-story.html

+1 for backyard bbq pit. For more information, you should see when Man vs. Food visited there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xSDHN9Lh3U

brevity
05-31-2010, 10:44 AM

Never commented on a BBQ thread before. It's only now that I have an opinion, and here it is: killerleft has a great idea. DBR should orchestrate a blind taste test. Seriously, this needs to happen. I care so little about the subject matter, but even I would be really interested to read the outcome.

Do it whenever: Homecoming weekend, reunion weekend, Duke-NCSU game. Just make sure DBR's resident cardiologist is on site.

MulletMan
05-31-2010, 11:38 AM
I realize I am late to the party, but I highly recommend Hog Heaven in Durham and Roxboro. I have to admit that I eat BBQ for the pork. That's it. Sides are nice, but they don't do it for me, and Hog Heaven is probably the one place in The Triangle where I don't even bother to add sauce to the pork. Seriously... so good.... mmmmmmmmmm.

ricks68
06-01-2010, 02:11 AM
Q Shack doesn't belong in any conversation about NC BBQ. They do a pretty straight forward Texas style.

I agree with the first statement, but please do not judge Texas BBQ by what is at the Q Shack.

Texas BBQ emphasizes the flavor of the meat, and does not routinely smother the meat in a flavored sauce. Yes, some Texas BBQ joints have sauces available, and are even normally slathered on there. But that is not the norm, or considered "classic". Now, you will see Tabasco, or some form of Louisianna Hot Sauce available, as those are used to just plain add the appropriate amount of "fire" when necessary.

So, if you are looking for good NC BBQ, do avoid the Q Shack.

ricks

RelativeWays
06-01-2010, 08:30 AM
I agree with the first statement, but please do not judge Texas BBQ by what is at the Q Shack.

Texas BBQ emphasizes the flavor of the meat, and does not routinely smother the meat in a flavored sauce. Yes, some Texas BBQ joints have sauces available, and are even normally slathered on there. But that is not the norm, or considered "classic". Now, you will see Tabasco, or some form of Louisianna Hot Sauce available, as those are used to just plain add the appropriate amount of "fire" when necessary.

ricks

I went to San Antonio last summer and went to a local BBQ chain. They're big on the brisket, the sauce doesn't have the same light mix of sweet and tangy that NC does. It was ok and I think this place was a dive so probably not the best example, but it still pales in comparison to NC style.

allenmurray
06-01-2010, 09:26 AM

ricks

HUH? The Original Q Shack (the one on University Drive in Durham) is no longer affiliated AT ALL with the ones in Raleigh. The one in Durham puts no sauce on thier briskit. None. Their is some available, but they know what they are doing when it comes to briskit.

Hog Heaven does good eastern NC BBQ. Backyard BBQ Pit, just down the road, also does it very well. Both are far superior to Bullocks, which tries to make up with quantity and variety of sides what they lack in quality of their actual pork BBQ.

superdave
06-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I stopped at Parker's in Wilson last night on my way back to DC from the beach. That will be my dinner tonight. I did have one bite last night and it had great smokey flavor. It's about 10 minutes from I-95 on 301 if anyone is traveling that road.

The best Texas Q I've had on my trips there is The Salt Lick. You can even get it in the Austin airport. Rudy's is a great chain too - I recommend 1/2 lb of moist brisket. You can fine Rudy's all over in Austin and San Antonio.

jdj4duke
06-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I
The best Texas Q I've had on my trips there is The Salt Lick.

I ate at the Salt Lick last month while taking my daughter to visit UT before she enrolls in the fall. The brisket is the best I ever had, and the beef ribs are extraordinary. Plus the place is big time fun, hanging out waiting for a table with coolers of BYOB around the patio. The parking lot was a hoot, with everything from a Bentley to duct-taped fishing cars there.

I wasn't sure about my child's matriculation at UT, but having been to the Salt Lick, I'm now hoping she stays on through grad school. Having been raised on NC, and now SC pork, I could entertain with some seriousness the notion of abandoning pig for the Salt Lick brisket and beef rib. Heretical I know, but I am counting the days till Parent's Weekend in the fall.

Biscuit King
06-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Never commented on a BBQ thread before. It's only now that I have an opinion, and here it is: killerleft has a great idea. DBR should orchestrate a blind taste test. Seriously, this needs to happen. I care so little about the subject matter, but even I would be really interested to read the outcome.

Do it whenever: Homecoming weekend, reunion weekend, Duke-NCSU game. Just make sure DBR's resident cardiologist is on site.

Count me in for this event.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-01-2010, 04:28 PM
I ate at the Salt Lick last month while taking my daughter to visit UT before she enrolls in the fall. The brisket is the best I ever had, and the beef ribs are extraordinary. Plus the place is big time fun, hanging out waiting for a table with coolers of BYOB around the patio. The parking lot was a hoot, with everything from a Bentley to duct-taped fishing cars there.

I wasn't sure about my child's matriculation at UT, but having been to the Salt Lick, I'm now hoping she stays on through grad school. Having been raised on NC, and now SC pork, I could entertain with some seriousness the notion of abandoning pig for the Salt Lick brisket and beef rib. Heretical I know, but I am counting the days till Parent's Weekend in the fall.

Salt Lick has been featured on the Food Network this week. Everyone was raving about the brisket and the ribs.

whirlieduke4
06-01-2010, 05:16 PM
I will be attending North Carolina School of Science and Math next year in Durham (moving from the Greensboro). Barbecue is far and away my favorite food, and one of my favorite Christmas gifts last year was a barbecue book about the history of North Carolina 'cue. My question to all of those who have lived in Durham or are currently living there: Where is the best barbecue? NCSSM is on Broad Street if you didn't know, so that can give you a reference point as to where I'll be next year.

Thanks!

superdave
06-01-2010, 05:19 PM
I will be attending North Carolina School of Science and Math next year in Durham (moving from the Greensboro). Barbecue is far and away my favorite food, and one of my favorite Christmas gifts last year was a barbecue book about the history of North Carolina 'cue. My question to all of those who have lived in Durham or are currently living there: Where is the best barbecue? NCSSM is on Broad Street if you didn't know, so that can give you a reference point as to where I'll be next year.

Thanks!

Do you have Bob Garner's NC bbq book? A good one...

Allen & Son seems to be held in the highest regard on this board for Durham area places and the BBQ Pit (? ) in Raleigh as well.

But dont hesitate to try out others if you have a car:
Q Shack, Barbecue Joint, Smithfield's, Hursey's, A&M, Huey's, Bullocks etc.

RelativeWays
06-01-2010, 07:34 PM

Thanks!

Going by your user name and that you're moving from Greensboro, you went to Grimsley I take it?

whirlieduke4
06-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Going by your user name and that you're moving from Greensboro, you went to Grimsley I take it?

You'd be right my friend. A proud Grimsley Whirlie, the only mascot of it's kind in the nation! And superdave, the name of the book is Holy Smoke by the Reed brothers. I highly recommend it.

Verga3
06-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Thanks!

BBQ Pit #2 on Guess Road is less than 5 minutes away from NCSSM as is Bullocks. Try them both.....can't go wrong. Go Whirlies!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-01-2010, 08:40 PM

The Salt Lick ships their fine meats, sauces and rubs.
http://www.saltlickbbq.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=0100

Newton_14
06-01-2010, 09:27 PM

Thanks!

I keep telling my fellow DBR family members where the best cue is, but I am still too new around here to have any cred, so no one believes me yet!:p

But, do yourself a favor and take a very short drive up 85 North to the Hwy 56 exit in Butner/Creedmoor. Turn right at the top of the exit ramp, and Bob's Barbecue is a few hundred yards down on your left. The cue is awesome, as is the brunswick stew. They also make homemade pies every day that melt in your mouth.

20 minutes tops, from Durham, and I promise you will not regret it! If you don't like it I will pay you for your meal! So there, nothing to risk but gas and time!:D

Indoor66
06-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I keep telling my fellow DBR family members where the best cue is, but I am still too new around here to have any cred, so no one believes me yet!:p

But, do yourself a favor and take a very short drive up 85 North to the Hwy 56 exit in Butner/Creedmoor. Turn right at the top of the exit ramp, and Bob's Barbecue is a few hundred yards down on your left. The cue is awesome, as is the brunswick stew. They also make homemade pies every day that melt in your mouth.

20 minutes tops, from Durham, and I promise you will not regret it! If you don't like it I will pay you for your meal! So there, nothing to risk but gas and time!:D

Bob's is located along the old Missing Link of I-85. Anyone remember that road?

Newton_14
06-01-2010, 09:58 PM

That is interesting. I grew up here but have never heard of that, but, there is an old service station that is today a convenient store and I know it was once called "Missing Link".

The store is on Hwy 15 which was the main road of travel through the area before I-85 was built. I will have to do a little research on this to learn more!

roywhite
06-01-2010, 10:48 PM

Nearly all students from the North traveling to Duke back in the day remember the missing link of I-85, the last part to be completed was the area around Creedmoor.

Also back in the day, Creedmoor was the place to go to buy beer on Sundays, or at least I am told.:)
Can't say I went there for barbecue.

Newton_14
06-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Nearly all students from the North traveling to Duke back in the day remember the missing link of I-85, the last part to be completed was the area around Creedmoor.

Also back in the day, Creedmoor was the place to go to buy beer on Sundays, or at least I am told.:)
Can't say I went there for barbecue.

You are correct. We were long famous for being the only town to sell beer on Sunday's. There was one convenient store in Creedmoor named "Stevenson's" or aka "Earl's" that opened on Sunday's for that sole purpose and was the only store open in town on Sunday's. College kids came in droves each Sunday back in those days.

allenmurray
06-02-2010, 08:55 AM

Thanks!

My guess is that since you'll be at NCSSM you won't have a car. That limits you a fair bit. However, Hog Heaven is not a bad walk from NCSSM - slightly less than a mile - about a 10-15 minue walk. Ifugure it will take 10 minutes when you're hungry and excited for some BBQ, and longer to walk back whey ou're stuffed! Go out the front door of the school (the one that faces Club Blvd.) and go to Maryland Avenue. Turn right on Maryland Avenue and go to Guess Rd. Turn left on Guess Raod to Hog Heaven (which will be in a small strip shopping center on your left. It is a really pleasant walk through a nice neighborhood.

RelativeWays
06-02-2010, 02:11 PM
You'd be right my friend. A proud Grimsley Whirlie, the only mascot of it's kind in the nation! And superdave, the name of the book is Holy Smoke by the Reed brothers. I highly recommend it.

Well...its close, though Iowa State calls themselves the Cyclones, they they have a bird instead of a tornado. I used to live in Greensboro many moons ago and my sister graduated from your arch enemy. I know the rivalry is still pretty heated but in the 80's Grimsley/Page was much bigger than Duke/ UNC in Greensboro. No thats not hyperbole, it was pure hatred.

northernduke
03-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Apologies if this isn't the correct thread and I missed another...I'll be in Greensboro for my first ACC tournament this year. Any recommendations on bbq spots to hit while there? Many thanks!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Apologies if this isn't the correct thread and I missed another...I'll be in Greensboro for my first ACC tournament this year. Any recommendations on bbq spots to hit while there? Many thanks!
This is definitely the correct thread, or thread genre. There are other Duke vs. Kentucky threads, but this one will do just fine! I have no suggestions other than the place near the Greensboro Coliseum, Stamey's I think. As Yogi Berra said of a NY steak house, no one ever goes there anymore because it's too busy. It's either good, or convenient. Or both! :cool:

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-01-2013, 04:25 PM
You're just 40 minutes (each way) from heaven... build in the extra time required to go to Lexington BBQ. Debate over.

Olympic Fan
03-01-2013, 04:43 PM
If you are going to the ACC Tournamnt, Stamey's is the institution - it's right across the street from the Coliseum. You can walk it between sessions or park before thfirt game and eat before tipoff. Be prepared for long lines, but they move pretty fast.

I'm a big fan of Smithfield Chicken an Barbeque -- a chain that runs all through eastern NC.

Hog Heaven on Guess Road is oky ... not as good as Bullocks. Q Shaq is a good place, but it's not NC barbeque.

I'm an outlier on Allen and Sons. Every time I've been there, its been mediocre. Not bad, but not worth driving out there.

jamos14
03-01-2013, 04:51 PM
I agree with the above. Travel to Lexington. Eat at the BBQ Center. best BBQ in the area. True pit cooked and smoked.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-01-2013, 04:58 PM
If you are going to the ACC Tournamnt, Stamey's is the institution - it's right across the street from the Coliseum. You can walk it between sessions or park before thfirt game and eat before tipoff. Be prepared for long lines, but they move pretty fast.

I'm a big fan of Smithfield Chicken an Barbeque -- a chain that runs all through eastern NC.

Hog Heaven on Guess Road is oky ... not as good as Bullocks. Q Shaq is a good place, but it's not NC barbeque.

I'm an outlier on Allen and Sons. Every time I've been there, its been mediocre. Not bad, but not worth driving out there.
If we're now talking about Durham area bbq, there is only one choice here as well... Backyard BBQ Pit #1 on Hwy 55. If you've been, there is simply no comparison to smithfield, bullocks or q shack - totally different leagues. Allen and Sons is horrible... why would you want to eat (and pay for) bbq that is just full of inedible chunks of grossness?

Bob Green
03-01-2013, 05:06 PM
I agree with the above. Travel to Lexington. Eat at the BBQ Center. best BBQ in the area. True pit cooked and smoked.

Lexington BBQ is good every now and then for a change, but my taste buds say Eastern NC BBQ is far superior.

Hog Heaven on Guess Road is okay ... not as good as Bullocks.

I'm going to have to try Bullocks, perhaps before the Spring Game. I had Hog Heaven last year and agree with your assessment of okay. It lacked spice IMO.

Native
03-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Smokey's on NC 54 in Morrisville.

ricks68
03-01-2013, 06:10 PM
If we're now talking about Durham area bbq, there is only one choice here as well... Backyard BBQ Pit #1 on Hwy 55. If you've been, there is simply no comparison to smithfield, bullocks or q shack - totally different leagues. Allen and Sons is horrible... why would you want to eat (and pay for) bbq that is just full of inedible chunks of grossness?

I thoroughly disliked Allen & Sons, also.

ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Since you'll be attending the tournament, your nearest and best choice is Stamey's. It's across the street from the venue and very popular among locals and visitors alike. It was founded in 1930 and is included on the NCBS's Barbecue Trail. http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail.html

The menu is shorter than some places. The chopped pork sandwich is tasty and can be ordered with out without the barbecue slaw. I prefer it with. You may order a plate with chopped barbecue and sides. The flavor of this barbecue is softer than some, but it does have a nice hint of smoke. I use of a lot of the house made sauce. The Brunswick stew is also tasty can could be ordered as a side (cup) or an entree (bowl). The cobblers are homemade and wonderful with a dollop of ice cream.
www.stameys.com

ricks68
03-01-2013, 06:20 PM
:)

Take the short trip (that's like around the corner to most Texans), but go to Lexington #1, like other posters have said. The trick is to order the coarse chopped with some of the outside brown.

Trust me. Others on this board will confirm my BBQ expertise. To be only 40 minutes away from some of the finest of NC BBQ and not take advantage of your situation would be a pity. Remember, life's too short to waste on eating inferior BBQ.

ricks

ricks68
03-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Since you'll be attending the tournament, your nearest and best choice is Stamey's. It's across the street from the venue and very popular among locals and visitors alike. It was founded in 1930 and is included on the NCBS's Barbecue Trail. http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail.html

The menu is shorter than some places. The chopped pork sandwich is tasty and can be ordered with out without the barbecue slaw. I prefer it with. You may order a plate with chopped barbecue and sides. The flavor of this barbecue is softer than some, but it does have a nice hint of smoke. I use of a lot of the house made sauce. The Brunswick stew is also tasty can could be ordered as a side (cup) or an entree (bowl). The cobblers are homemade and wonderful with a dollop of ice cream.
www.stameys.com

If you can't get to Lexington, however, from what I've heard from others, go with DITBD. She more than usually knows what she is talking about.

ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-01-2013, 06:43 PM

Take the short trip (that's like around the corner to most Texans), but go to Lexington #1, like other posters have said. The trick is to order the coarse chopped with some of the outside brown.

Trust me. Others on this board will confirm my BBQ expertise. To be only 40 minutes away from some of the finest of NC BBQ and not take advantage of your situation would be a pity. Remember, life's too short to waste on eating inferior BBQ.

ricks

Lexington #1 is outstanding. But the truth is that anyone attending the tournament is not likely to fit that in and have sufficient time to appreciate it. Traffic between Greensboro and Lexington can be quite unpredictable as can the wait at Lexington #1. Give Honey Monk his due and plan an unhurried visit to Lexington #1 when it's the prime attraction.

Jarhead
03-01-2013, 09:53 PM

This is definitely the correct thread, or thread genre. There are other Duke vs. Kentucky threads, but this one will do just fine! I have no suggestions other than the place near the Greensboro Coliseum, Stamey's I think. As Yogi Berra said of a NY steak house, no one ever goes there anymore because it's too busy. It's either good, or convenient. Or both! :cool:

Take it from a former resident of Greensboro, Stamey's is the choice for BBQ in, or near, Greensboro. It was the stop of choice for take out of really good NC BBQ, eastern version. I worked on Elm Street, downtown, and went right by Stamey's on the way home. I assume it is still pretty much the same.

As far as Lexington is concerned, I heard that they used ketchup there. There used to be a place up north of Greensboro called Short Sugar's that was pretty good. A former NC Governor was reported to have ridden on a National Guard helicopter to Short Sugar's for lunch, on occasion.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/78.gif

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Take it from a former resident of Greensboro, Stamey's is the choice for BBQ in, or near, Greensboro. It was the stop of choice for take out of really good NC BBQ, eastern version. I worked on Elm Street, downtown, and went right by Stamey's on the way home. I assume it is still pretty much the same.

As far as Lexington is concerned, I heard that they used ketchup there. There used to be a place up north of Greensboro called Short Sugar's that was pretty good. A former NC Governor was reported to have ridden on a National Guard helicopter to Short Sugar's for lunch, on occasion.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/78.gif
Amen on Stamey's.

Short Sugar's is located in Reidsville, north of Greensboro, founded in 1949. Their barbecue is excellent. But driving there and finding it if you don't know Redisvile could be rather time consuming. This restaurant is also on the NCBS's Historic Barbecue Trail.

For those who want to know about this little gem here's a link:http://shortsugarsbar-b-q.com/

devildeac
03-01-2013, 11:03 PM
If you'd find these ne'er-do-wells a couple tix for the tourney, they might even agree to bring their grills and fix up some 'cue for you right in the parking lot;):

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?26219-Duke-vs-Kentucky-True-Blue-Cue-Crew-and-our-first-competition

killerleft
03-02-2013, 11:45 AM
I tried to like Stamey's, I really did. Went three times before I had to admit it was not going to be my Greensboro barbeque joint. Plenty of people like/love it, though. Smoky but trashy taste is my take on the BBQ, but us North Carolinians have varying opinions which seem to start with which part of the state we grew up in, and can include how authentically ramshackle the building is where the Q is cooked:o.

I found my go-to Greensboro spot over on Wendover Ave. about 6-7 minutes away at Country Barbeque. They put out a tasty version of Lexington-style Q. They also have beef and pork ribs in addition to barbeque chicken, burgers, dogs, and even fried bologna sandwiches. The BBQ sandwich is full and messy, has slaw unless you specify. The plate comes with two sides, I like the potato salad and baked beans (which have a touch of green pepper), and plain, good hushpuppies. Sweeet tea. Sweeeet canned-peach cobbler with icecream.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/country-barbecue-greensboro

The reviews are all over the place at this site and others. Take all of them with a grain of salt, several of the reviewers have confused themselves and described other places in other towns.

devildeac
03-02-2013, 01:00 PM
I tried to like Stamey's, I really did. Went three times before I had to admit it was not going to be my Greensboro barbeque joint. Plenty of people like/love it, though. Smoky but trashy taste is my take on the BBQ, but us North Carolinians have varying opinions which seem to start with which part of the state we grew up in, and can include how authentically ramshackle the building is where the Q is cooked:o.

I found my go-to Greensboro spot over on Wendover Ave. about 6-7 minutes away at Country Barbeque. They put out a tasty version of Lexington-style Q. They also have beef and pork ribs in addition to barbeque chicken, burgers, dogs, and even fried bologna sandwiches. The BBQ sandwich is full and messy, has slaw unless you specify. The plate comes with two sides, I like the potato salad and baked beans (which have a touch of green pepper), and plain, good hushpuppies. Sweeet tea. Sweeeet canned-peach cobbler with icecream.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/country-barbecue-greensboro

The reviews are all over the place at this site and others. Take all of them with a grain of salt, several of the reviewers have confused themselves and described other places in other towns.

I'd trust this guy. Look where he lives;).

northernduke
03-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks all for the help --- plenty to go on here!

CameronBornAndBred
03-04-2013, 11:45 AM
If you'd find these ne'er-do-wells a couple tix for the tourney, they might even agree to bring their grills and fix up some 'cue for you right in the parking lot;):

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?26219-Duke-vs-Kentucky-True-Blue-Cue-Crew-and-our-first-competition

We can do that!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks all for the help --- plenty to go on here!
A friend of mine with significant connections to Lexington barbecue mentioned that sometimes one of the Lexington barbecue restaurants (such as Speedy's) caters at the tournament. You may have an opportunity to sample in the tournament venue.