PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Bob Gibbons' TOC

airowe
05-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Schedule for Friday night and pools are out.

http://www.bobgibbons.net/index.php?/weblog/article/2010_tournament_of_champions_friday_night_schedule/

http://www.bobgibbons.net/index.php?/weblog/article/2010_tournament_of_champions_pools/

roywhite
05-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Schedule for Friday night and pools are out.

http://www.bobgibbons.net/index.php?/weblog/article/2010_tournament_of_champions_friday_night_schedule/

http://www.bobgibbons.net/index.php?/weblog/article/2010_tournament_of_champions_pools/

Thanks, airowe. Do we know for sure which Duke targets will be attending?

airowe
05-25-2010, 10:49 AM
I know Amir Williams, Alex Murphy, and Chasson Randle are in town. I'm trying to figure out what teams they're on. I know Murphy is on New England Playaz, not sure what age bracket he'll be with though.

airowe
05-25-2010, 11:24 AM
I know Amir Williams, Alex Murphy, and Chasson Randle are in town. I'm trying to figure out what teams they're on. I know Murphy is on New England Playaz, not sure what age bracket he'll be with though.

Scratch Amir off the list. Add JP Tokoto, Rodney Purvis, and Amile Jefferson.

studdlee10
05-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Shabazz Muhammad will be there with Dreamvision.

roywhite
05-25-2010, 11:27 AM

Do you have a preference on the 2012 wings?

Maybe Shabazz Muhammad?

airowe
05-25-2010, 11:32 AM

I thought Shabazz played with Las Vegas Prospects?

airowe
05-25-2010, 02:47 PM

Sorry I doubted you. Looks like he'll be playing in Cameron at the same time Alex Murphy is playing in the Nose Dome.

west_coast_devil
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM

I believe JP Tokoto plays for the WI Playground Warriors.....the AAU team that used to whoop on my team during my playing days in Whisky.

airowe
05-28-2010, 08:28 AM
http://duke.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1088885&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

SupaDave
06-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Well I was waiting for Airowe to tune in while I was getting caught up with life but I'm back now so here it is - my recap on the Bob Gibbons tourney.

First, I didn't necessarily go to see Duke recruits b/c I have a younger cousin who is a D-I recruit in his own right. He and his team made the trip up from Houston. Houston Hoopstars Elite - more on them in a second...

I also saw one of the tall Indian kids. Didn't get to see him play but man is he TALL - and BIG. Sim Bhullar, 17, is 7-4, 285 pounds and he looks every bit of it. However, when I saw him in front of the Dean Dome he was limping. Not a good sign.

I got to see Andre Drummond play at NC State - WHOA! I got the feeling of probably seeing Greg Monroe play for the first time like Holy SMOKES Batman! The kid looked just huge - and SKILLED out there.

I also saw Elijah Brown, Mike Brown's son, play for the Ohio Team. He's decent. Yep THAT Mike Brown, formerly of the Cavs, was in the house as well and I sent a few of the players around me to get his autograph.

This article gives a little more info on Elijah and Andre...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5238478

Most of the reviews of the TOC have a decidedly North Carolina/Southern appeal to them based on who they watched but that only makes sense with their being a lot going on last weekend. Nike had their tourney and it was a holiday weekend.

Now a little about my baby cousin's team - they are NICE (think Baylor here b/c they are typical Houston players). They have a real smooth small forward that reminds me of Georgetown's Charles Smith - he's a great finisher. The two centers - who may go to high school together next year - are legit D-I prospects - big and bruising. Cameron Quinn and Aaron Durley form a very potent one-two combo that even plays well together when Durley is at the 4. Another one of the guards reminds me of a young Derrick Fisher - very strong for his size and he'll play basketball somewhere. They have a young shifty guard that reminds me of Rapper Bow Wow but he needs to work on his turnovers (but they all do actually). They have other very complimentary players. #15 was very similar to the other small forward but he was a stronger player but not necessarily a better scorer. Defensively, this team can clamp down when focused. It could be their bread and butter if they were more vocal - which I mentioned to my cousin - and actually noticed a difference in the night game. They need to FEEL it a little more. They had an outstanding showing - won three games in one day after getting in late and losing a tough game the night before. They also got to play in Reynolds Coliseum, at Duke, and in the Dean Dome. Pretty Sweet...

Now WHY did I tell you all this? Well as luck would have it, after leaving the Dean Dome I decided to stop by Duke with another of my cousins to show him around a bit. We walk into Cameron and what do my eyes see on the main court? None other than Indiana Elite. Yep - the team with Cody Zeller and baby bro Marshall Plumlee. Their team was picked to make noise at the TOC but it appears that guard play was one of the weaknesses of that team. They lost that game which was also their second of the day (Saturday).

Why should you care? Well once again luck was in my favor. The loss that we witnessed by Indiana Elite pitted them against none other than Houston Hoopstars Elite for a 10pm game at Duke (in Carr gym). Yep!!! What luck!!! I was also sitting with the families of Cody and Marshall which included Miles, Perky, Tyler, and Tyler's parents (who were decked out in UNC gear by the way). Basketball families talk - it's what we do!

To the game, the Hoopstars started off slow and Indiana started fast with some very good play from Cody Zeller. Cody is READY. Let me just start by saying that. He's strong and built well and he reminded me a LOT of Mason's build right NOW. All of the Hoopstars are long and athletic so they weren’t really fazed by the size of Indiana Elite. But Indiana Elite was shooting lights out. They had a guard - No. 23 - that's going somewhere for sure. He was a deadeye shooter. But then the Hoopstars caught on and got physical. Indiana also couldn't hang with Houston's guards who were simply too quick for them. The Hoopstars came back from 16 down to win the game - and ended Indiana's run.

Cody and Marshall were the only posts available for Indiana's squad and they don't really play a physical game. Cameron Quinn, Houston's starting center, had MANY two-handed slam putbacks and there was very little Indiana could do to contain him. Marshall has the body but none of the bulk. He did display some good skills but he's going to have to get more physical and more confident. Right now it looks as though Cody and No. 23 run that team. I actually saw No. 23's name mentioned in one of the reviews. While Cody and Marshall were the marquee players they were hardly the best I saw during the weekend. Both have a great set of wheels and run the floor very well however. I didn't see either display any real back to the basket moves and I think some of that has to do with not being able to do much with Houston's twin towers. But as far as ceilings go - Marshall and Cody have high ones...

Ok – whew. I’m worn out from typing all of this. Got questions? I’ll see how I can help.

Newton_14
06-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Ok – whew. I’m worn out from typing all of this. Got questions? I’ll see how I can help.

Did you get a vibe from any of the Plumlee family about Marshall's current interest in Duke or vice versa? WTVD interviewed Miles and Perky Saturday night and both indicated there was still high interest.

Any idea on that?

Great write up by the way. Appreciated the read.

SupaDave
06-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Did you get a vibe from any of the Plumlee family about Marshall's current interest in Duke or vice versa? WTVD interviewed Miles and Perky Saturday night and both indicated there was still high interest.

Any idea on that?

Great write up by the way. Appreciated the read.

There's definitely high interest. The Plumlees spent most of their time in Durham and most of Saturday at Duke. It's pretty much a second home for them (as you could imagine). Marshall is just enjoying himself and trying to get better right now. He doesn't really have to worry about where he's going...