PDA

View Full Version : Two seven foot brothers to get Duke visit?

CameronBornAndBred
05-24-2010, 07:08 PM
The article says Duke is taking a trip to see them. Both of them are taller than Zoubs, they also sound about as athletic as Z, or even less. But they have time to develop.
http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1087336

(The article says that Duke is only planning on visiting Sim, but since they are brothers it would be hard not to look at both)

BD80
05-24-2010, 07:28 PM
The article says Duke is taking a trip to see them. Both of them are taller than Zoubs, they also sound about as athletic as Z, or even less. But they have time to develop.
http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1087336

(The article says that Duke is only planning on visiting Sim, but since they are brothers it would be hard not to look at both)

Bhullar?

Bhullar?

Bhullar?

Sim, 17, is 7-4, 285 pounds.

Tanveer, only 15, is 7-2, 260 pounds.

Kiski is a beautiful area, but not a basketball hotbed.

Sim, who just completed his sophomore season, averaged about 16 points, 14 rebounds and eight blocks. He has three-point range and is a strong passer, but he also can run the floor and finish strong with power dunks. ...

Tanveer averaged about 12 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks during his freshman season. He possesses a smooth 15- to 17-foot jumper and has quick feet and soft hands, key attributes to low-post success.

... Sim, who has lost 30 pounds, could not run the court more than two or three times. Tanveer, who started last season as a backup, needed a month before he could dunk after a running start. ... [and] must resist the urge to shoot fadeaway jumpers

However, the area is very well known for wrestling, so this is promising:

They both have ... remade their bodies, regularly working out at 5 a.m. with the Kiski wrestling coach.

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't want my 7'4" sophmore shooting threes, or my 7'2" frosh shooting fadeaways.

theAlaskanBear
05-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Bhullar?

Bhullar?

Bhullar?

Kiski is a beautiful area, but not a basketball hotbed.

However, the area is very well known for wrestling, so this is promising:

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't want my 7'4" sophmore shooting threes, or my 7'2" frosh shooting fadeaways.

At the same time, you aren't going to be blocking any of those shots ;P so if they have solid jumpers, they will be unstoppable.

m g
05-24-2010, 07:42 PM
you're telling me that a high school team starting three guys who are supposed to be that good at 6'9, 7'2, and 7'4 lost four games??? something has to give here

dukeforever333
05-24-2010, 07:55 PM
I guess this is a weird time to have my first post...I'm a long-time lurker. But this thread caught my eye because I've been following the Bhullar brothers for a few months and wanted to share some footage of them with you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Y04AMkvdg

They are far more agile than Zoubs (No disrespect) and are learning the ins and outs of how to efficiently excel at the game very, very quickly. I think with time they could be very well rounded given the mechanics of their very unblock-able jump shot. Remember it's still two years before even Sim graduates, three for Tanveer. Oh well, here's to a legendary Plumlee-Bhullar bomb squad: Mason, Marshall, Sim, and Tanveer.

CameronBornAndBred
05-24-2010, 08:09 PM
They are far more agile than Zoubs (No disrespect) and are learning the ins and outs of how to efficiently excel at the game very, very quickly. .
I wasn't sure about that according to the article, so it's good to hear, especially after reading about being unable to dunk after running.

FireOgilvie
05-24-2010, 10:24 PM
The article says they would like to play together somewhere near Toronto... so that might work against us.

CameronBornAndBred
05-24-2010, 10:28 PM
The article says they would like to play together somewhere near Toronto... so that might work against us.
Good luck winning an NCAA championship in Toronto. The closest school I can think of with a chance would be Syracuse.

Daniel tosh
05-24-2010, 10:36 PM
This subject is very interesting.Will also be very interesting to see how it plays out

FireOgilvie
05-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Good luck winning an NCAA championship in Toronto. The closest school I can think of with a chance would be Syracuse.

Yeah, and Michigan St is a 5 hour drive. Also, Pittsburgh, near where they go to high school. Also Villanova, Ohio State, UCon, and Purdue are a long drive away (7-10 hours).

IBleedBlue
05-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Bo Ryan at Wisky is known to stock up on big men and UCONN is known for its shot blocking big men. And both are close enough to Toronto to drive.
These guys still have much time to go. Let's wait and see where they go.

hedevil
05-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Why not Duke?

It's only two steps away.:D

Dukefan4Life
05-25-2010, 01:38 AM
I guess any team including us could always use 7"4,but i have a feeling with this kind of height with this early, age health problems might not be far from behind. I have read comments from other sites that say they are not interested in duke but who knows???

OZZIE4DUKE
05-25-2010, 07:22 AM
I wonder how many thousands and thousands of posts this thread will have before the younger brother finally makes a commitment somewhere? :p

airowe
05-25-2010, 07:45 AM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21183&highlight=real+life+ivan

PADukeMom
05-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Apparently Daryn Freedman, the head coach at the Kiski, was an assistant coach for Cal for 8 years & UK has the inside track. That is if Cal is still at UK by the time either of these brothers graduate.

Jeff_Fedotin
05-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Hey guys,

I wrote the Rivals.com article about the Bhullar bros. Although I have not seen them play, I did extensive reporting abt. them. It's WAY too early to start talking abt. their recruiting, but I wanted to address some stuff.

Also feel free to ask me add'l questions.

1)Sim flat out said Duke plans to visit him.

2)Geography of their future college is important. They partly chose Kiski because it's just a 6-hr. drive from Toronto. But I wouldn't say Duke is too far. Remember they considered DeMatha and Montrose for HS. The notion really came up when he mentioned the interest of Wash St., USC and Stanford. They said that was too far.

3)You can't discount the Kentucky factor. Freedman, the HS coach, even lived at Calipari's house for a bit.

4)The Bhullars are from a good, close-knit family. Both -- especially Tanveer -- are good students.

5)Don't rip Tanveer too bad for his inability to dunk at first. Yeah, it's crazy to think that a 7-2 guy struggled w/ that. But remember he was a very out of shape, 15-year-old. Freedman said he's now adept at "power dunks."

-- Jeff

DukeSean
05-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Although they are tall, the last videos I saw of them didn't impress me greatly. Unless they get into even better shape, they won't be able to keep up. K does a marvelous job shaping the team pace/strategy around personnel, but as it is, they might require too much of a slower pace.

Then again, they're still young at 17 and 15, we'll give them time and see what happens.

CEF1959
05-25-2010, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't underestimate the importance they and their parents might put on a quality college education. That would rule out some programs. I'll bet Tommy Amaker is all over this. How far is Cambridge from Toronto?

devildeac
05-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Hey guys,

I wrote the Rivals.com article about the Bhullar bros. Although I have not seen them play, I did extensive reporting abt. them. It's WAY too early to start talking abt. their recruiting, but I wanted to address some stuff.

Also feel free to ask me add'l questions.

1)Sim flat out said Duke plans to visit him.

2)Geography of their future college is important. They partly chose Kiski because it's just a 6-hr. drive from Toronto. But I wouldn't say Duke is too far. Remember they considered DeMatha and Montrose for HS. The notion really came up when he mentioned the interest of Wash St., USC and Stanford. They said that was too far.

3)You can't discount the Kentucky factor. Freedman, the HS coach, even lived at Calipari's house for a bit.

4)The Bhullars are from a good, close-knit family. Both -- especially Tanveer -- are good students.

5)Don't rip Tanveer too bad for his inability to dunk at first. Yeah, it's crazy to think that a 7-2 guy struggled w/ that. But remember he was a very out of shape, 15-year-old. Freedman said he's now adept at "power dunks."

-- Jeff

Thanks for sharing. Please keep us updated about their progress. Welcome to the DBR. Visit frequently and post often and don't be afraid to calm some of our anxieties with your current info.

LSanders
05-27-2010, 04:29 AM
I wonder how many thousands and thousands of posts this thread will have before the younger brother finally makes a commitment somewhere? :p

Maybe something like ...

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5554

:cool:

OZZIE4DUKE
05-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Maybe something like ...

http://http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5554

:cool:
You've got an extra http:// in your link. Eliminating that it still didn't work right.

(http://http//www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5554)

DukieInBrasil
05-27-2010, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't underestimate the importance they and their parents might put on a quality college education. That would rule out some programs. I'll bet Tommy Amaker is all over this. How far is Cambridge from Toronto?

Not to say that Tommy can't find alternate methods but Harvard, as an Ivy League school, doesn't give "athletics scholarships", although I highly doubt that any of their recruited players pay full (or any) tuition. That might be an issue for Harvard landing one or both of them.

lilblue
07-02-2010, 01:50 AM
What I saw of this kid, is that he is very tall and very slow... Definately not trying to knock him but wow was he slow, not just in foot speed but in his movements as well. This was pretty much the consensus of everybody seated around me at the FIBA u18 Americas. Not sure what to make of him, he had multiple missed dunks and was always the last man down court on defense! Not sure if this could be fixed with conditioning training or not but he is definately not as athletic Z is from what I have seen.

ThePublisher
07-02-2010, 02:55 AM
This guy looks more agile/smoother than Zoubek, but doesnt have the drive at all. He looks like the jolly green giant blobing around out there. If he can get some umph, muscule up a little and refine that shot, he/they could be amazing. I'm glad to see Duke using that 14 million basketball budget to its best. Its great to know tuition goes towards the important things. Serioulsy, I'm not being sarcastic =)

Big Pappa
07-02-2010, 10:31 AM
What I saw of this kid, is that he is very tall and very slow... Definately not trying to knock him but wow was he slow, not just in foot speed but in his movements as well. This was pretty much the consensus of everybody seated around me at the FIBA u18 Americas. Not sure what to make of him, he had multiple missed dunks and was always the last man down court on defense! Not sure if this could be fixed with conditioning training or not but he is definately not as athletic Z is from what I have seen.

From what I saw of him at the FIBA Americas games you are right on with your assessment. He rarely played for a Canada team that really could have used him inside. As lilblue said, he was always the last one down the floor and missed many easy shots. He makes Zoubs look like Mason from an athletic standpoint. The only thing that I saw positive about him (aside from his height) was that he has a semi-accurate jumper from 10-12 feet.

He could be decent because of his physical tools, if he drops some weight and works very hard on his speed and quickness. Even still, I don't see him competing in the ACC or a comparable conference.

FerryFor50
07-02-2010, 11:36 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/luke_winn/07/01/sim-bhullar/index.html?eref=sihp

Timely article by Luke Winn/CNNSI on them