PDA

View Full Version : K to the Cavs? C'mon

devildownunder
05-24-2010, 06:16 PM
So over at espn.com, Ric Bucher is speculating the K is the top name involved in the Cavaliers' search for a new head coach after firing Mike Brown. You can hear him if you click on the "Cavs Fire Brown" video link on the front page. I say speculation because that is exactly what it is. He has no source and he isn't pretending he does.

I can't see this happening. K makes a ton of money already and to leave Duke for a situation where literally it's an NBA title or nothing doesn't seem like a smart move or like something Krzyzewski would want to do.

One other thing Bucher said that I don't get. He mentioned Phil Jackson first, because Jackson's contract is up after this year. But then he dismissed that idea because Ferry is from San Antonio and that, Bucher says, means his philosophy and Phil Jackson's are "like oil and water." Anyone have an idea what he means by that?

billyj
05-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I believe now days journalist use certain "keywords" to attract more traffic to their website. They get paid by view counts.

Yes, Krzyzewski is a sexy word.

DreAllDay
05-24-2010, 06:24 PM
There's a about a zero percent chance Coach K leaves, Krzyzewski will remain at his rightful kingdom until he retires.

On another the note, it's too bad that the NBA playoffs are so bad this year.. The Lebron James sweepstakes is much much more riveting.

ElSid
05-24-2010, 06:32 PM
I believe now days journalist use certain "keywords" to attract more traffic to their website. They get paid by view counts.

Can you say conflict of interest? Is all the world a tabloid now?

I'd pay extra to know something's very likely true.

For the record, Coach K has already said he has no interest in this job.

SilkyJ
05-24-2010, 06:39 PM
So over at espn.com, Ric Bucher is speculating the K is the top name involved in the Cavaliers' search for a new head coach after firing Mike Brown. You can hear him if you click on the "Cavs Fire Brown" video link on the front page. I say speculation because that is exactly what it is. He has no source and he isn't pretending he does.

Is it so hard to believe that the Cavs, or any other team, might covet Coach K? He should be at the top of everyone's wishlist! It can't hurt to call him and ask, but he'll say no.

Saying the Cavs having interest in K is not the same as saying K has interest in the Cavs.

Mike Corey
05-24-2010, 06:58 PM
K is not going anywhere. ESPN knows this.

BlueBDeviler
05-24-2010, 07:01 PM
I hate it when ESPN, or, some other entity, starts an unstantiated rumor like this.

Coach K is not going anywhere. They know this. We'd all do well to just not even read any of that nonsense.

BD80
05-24-2010, 07:14 PM

Your assumption is that the journalist uses "keywords" that will come up it searches, such as a Google search, which will direct traffic to the article.

What are the chances the average person can spell "Krzyzewski" to generate a Google search?

devildownunder
05-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Is it so hard to believe that the Cavs, or any other team, might covet Coach K? He should be at the top of everyone's wishlist! It can't hurt to call him and ask, but he'll say no.

Saying the Cavs having interest in K is not the same as saying K has interest in the Cavs.

No, it's not hard to believe that have an interest in him. It's hard to believe he's leaving, and if you're going to mention his name, you should also mention likelihood (or lack thereof) of him actually taking the job.

muzikfrk75
05-24-2010, 07:34 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/05/coach-k-no-interest-in-cavs-job/1

Time to close the thread I think.

moonpie23
05-25-2010, 12:35 AM
hits are generated on wave like "news" posts such as DBR.....it's pretty interesting how many times one post on DBR might be replicated and linked..

look at how HUGE the erroneous post of greg paulus getting picked up by the saints spread...

Dukefan4Life
05-25-2010, 02:10 AM
The rumors are getting tiresome..Any real duke fan knows K will retire here...

4decadedukie
05-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Both Coach K -- and equally important, his extended family -- are deeply integrated with and committed to Duke (and Durham). This is their home, and by this I mean a GREAT deal more than the venue where they reside. Beyond that, the program that Coach K has created at Duke is integral to the University; they are essentially inseparable. We are blessed to have the Krzyzewski family as a fundamental element of Duke, and I believe they may feel that they are also blessed by this outcome.

RoyalBlue08
05-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I actually like the fact that we have the coach that is immediately placed as the #1 rumor for every open NBA job. We and everyone else in the world know K isn't going anywhere, but it is nice to know that most NBA owners dream coach is coaching at Duke. To illustrate my point, would you rather reading Roy's name scrolling across ESPN every time a NBA coach got fired. I certainly wouldn't.

weezie
05-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Any real duke fan knows K will retire here...

Yeah, the idea of leaving the Gothic Wonderland for "The Mistake By The Lake."
is a laffer!

theAlaskanBear
05-25-2010, 09:28 AM

I can't see this happening. K makes a ton of money already and to leave Duke for a situation where literally it's an NBA title or nothing doesn't seem like a smart move or like something Krzyzewski would want to do.

One other thing Bucher said that I don't get. He mentioned Phil Jackson first, because Jackson's contract is up after this year. But then he dismissed that idea because Ferry is from San Antonio and that, Bucher says, means his philosophy and Phil Jackson's are "like oil and water." Anyone have an idea what he means by that?

We all know K isnt going anywhere for the foreseeable future (the next 2-3 years, and probably not until he retires.

I thought I would address Phil Jackson though and LeBron though. It is being reported that the Bulls have gone through back channels to see if Phil would be interested in coming back, and the word is yes. SO after the playoffs, do not be surprised to hear Chicago and Phil in negotiations. I think LeBron is looking more and more likely to make it to Chicago...if Phil shows up it's game over. Of course, maybe LeBron REALLY wants to be in NYC.

Bay Area Duke Fan
05-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Yeah, the idea of leaving the Gothic Wonderland for "The Mistake By The Lake."
is a laffer!

When I was growing up in Cleveland in the 1950s, Cleveland called itself "The Best Location In The Nation."

weezie
05-25-2010, 11:19 AM
When I was growing up in Cleveland in the 1950s, Cleveland called itself "The Best Location In The Nation."

Yeah, civic pride is a wonderful thing. Speaking as a Detroit-er, home to several MLB, NBA, Stanley Cup championships, I know all about that ;)

Enjoying the Bay Area these days, are we?????:cool:

brevity
05-25-2010, 11:30 AM
The rumors are getting tiresome..Any real duke fan knows K will retire here...

It would be presumptuous for me to generalize about real Duke fans, but I'd like to think they wouldn't take anything for granted.

Still, so glad to read that the tone of this thread is missing the usual DBR nervousness.

SoCalDukeFan
05-25-2010, 12:28 PM
I actually like the fact that we have the coach that is immediately placed as the #1 rumor for every open NBA job. We and everyone else in the world know K isn't going anywhere, but it is nice to know that most NBA owners dream coach is coaching at Duke. To illustrate my point, would you rather reading Roy's name scrolling across ESPN every time a NBA coach got fired. I certainly wouldn't.

It is interesting that every NBA owner seems to want K.

SoCal

hc5duke
05-25-2010, 12:49 PM
"The Vegas odds stand at an unprecedented 1000 to 0. A bet of zero dollars on Coach K joining the Cavs pays 1000 dollars if he goes. Still, very few takers."
http://theinfosphere.org/images/thumb/5/5c/Rich_Little's_head.png/225px-Rich_Little's_head.png
Stolen from this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0584448/quotes)

DukeBlueNV
06-08-2010, 10:29 PM
sorry if this was allready posted but i didnt see it anywhere...

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/06/08/dukes-coach-k-on-nba-jump-not-ever/

diveonthefloor
06-08-2010, 10:29 PM
And so dead-eye Stuart Scott tries to start up the "K to Cleveland" talk during halftime of game 3 of the playoffs.

Stuart....you need to go back to Chapel Hole where you belong

Newton_14
06-08-2010, 10:34 PM
And so dead-eye Stuart Scott tries to start up the "K to Cleveland" talk during halftime of game 3 of the playoffs.

Stuart....you need to go back to Chapel Hole where you belong

I am watching the game but distracted and missed that, but you have to be kidding? Did he really go there? Even after K immediately dismissed this the minute it came out a few weeks ago, and dismissed again last week at the fantasy camp.

The big news all day has been the offer of the job to Izzo, so how in the world does ESPN allow Scott to go back to K somehow being relevant to the discussion of who will get the Cav's coaching job?

Sorry for the rant, but that is just plain stupid unless Scott was making a joke or something..

lotusland
06-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Both Coach K -- and equally important, his extended family -- are deeply integrated with and committed to Duke (and Durham). This is their home, and by this I mean a GREAT deal more than the venue where they reside. Beyond that, the program that Coach K has created at Duke is integral to the University; they are essentially inseparable. We are blessed to have the Krzyzewski family as a fundamental element of Duke, and I believe they may feel that they are also blessed by this outcome.

K will have to weigh all that against the opportunity to move his family to Cleveland.:D

Newton_14
06-08-2010, 10:39 PM

You might need to send this to Stuart Scott. He somehow missed the news that K is not EVER going to the NBA and that Cleveland has actually offered the job to Tom Izzo.

So give Stu an inside scoop he can run with tonight at 11 since his normal sources seem to be failing him badly.:D

jdj4duke
06-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Nope- not kidding. Old Stuie did the Nightline promo with the teaser along the lines of "would the chance to coach Lebron get Coach K away from Duke? Tune in and see" or some such nonsense.

I guess he must be in the throes of very public wishful thinking. Izzo is probably glad they are not coming to ask him about leaving his current gig.

DevilHorns
06-08-2010, 10:51 PM

There is NO doubt. But, I guarantee this will come up again and again every time there is an attractive NBA coaching vacancy. Time to ignore the articles (to stop watching Sportscenter is pretty much impossible, but we can do our part on the web). We fuel the media to report this repeated nonsense by clicking on the links. Let's decide not to.