PDA

View Full Version : Men's LAX NCAA Semis, Duke 14, UVA 13

whirlieduke4
05-23-2010, 05:50 PM
National Semifinal game is this Saturday May 29 at 6:30 PM. Let's take it to 'em like we did in the first match-up!

greybeard
05-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Well, here we go again my Duke friends. Cornell and Duke at Ravens' stadium in the final four of lax. Glad that this time that I'll be able to root for both on Saturday and hopefully watch both compete for it all on Sunday. That would be unbelieveably terrific, more so were Cornell to win, but I couldn't be hatin on the result if it turns out otherwise.

Here's to a Blue vs. Red final; may it be a great, great contest, may somebody win it by making a great play, and hey, I wouldn't mind if the last play heroics went for my guys this time. Cheers, Grey

4decadedukie
05-24-2010, 09:18 AM
UVa will obviously be a MAJOR challenge; our offense seems to be peaking and truly peerless right now and our defense is quite good, but could be improved (especially in goalkeeping - no offense intended here, but it's true).

roywhite
05-24-2010, 09:35 AM
National Semifinal game is this Saturday May 29 at 6:30 PM. Let's take it to 'em like we did in the first match-up!

I like the later start time. Heat has been an issue in previous tournament games in Baltimore starting mid-day.

blueprofessor
05-24-2010, 10:10 AM
UVa will obviously be a MAJOR challenge; our offense seems to be peaking and truly peerless right now and our defense is quite good, but could be improved (especially in goalkeeping - no offense intended here, but it's true).

In the 13-9 Duke win at UVA, we had 7 saves out of 16 UVA shots on (our) goal, a save percentage of 44%.
UVA saved 11 of 24 Duke shots on goal, a 46% save percentage.

In the 4-23-10 ACC tourney UVA win (16-12) 6 days after Duke's victory, Duke saved 8 UVA shots out of 24 shots on goal---a dreadful save percentage of 33%.
On the other hand, UVA had a save percentage of 50%: 12 saves of 24 shots on goal.

Best regards--Blue Prof:)

roywhite
05-24-2010, 10:17 AM
In the 13-9 Duke win at UVA, we had 7 saves out of 16 UVA shots on (our) goal, a save percentage of 44%.

In the 4-23-10 ACC tourney UVA win (16-12) 6 days after Duke's victory, Duke saved 8 UVA shots out of 24 shots on goal---a dreadful save percentage of 33%.
On the other hand, UVA had a save percentage of 50%: 12 saves of 24 shots on goal.

Interesting comments relative to this point in Coach Danowski's remarks after the quarter-finals win over UNC.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=25937&SPID=2027&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204949770

In goal, freshman Dan Wigrizer earned the win and made three saves in 27-minutes of action. Junior Mike Rock earned the start, making one save in 26-minutes of action.

"Sometimes in the tradition of our sport, it's like you can't switch goalies," Danowski said. "You can't switch quarterbacks in football. You know, why not? We've got two guys that we think we can win with and be successful. Actually, we think we have four. We've gotten [Devon] Sherwood in there and that has worked out as well. It's just a matter of playing in front of them and playing with them and how we're playing defensively."

Looks like he won't hesitate to make a change during the game if goaltending is an issue vs UVa.

MCFinARL
05-24-2010, 10:43 AM
I like the later start time. Heat has been an issue in previous tournament games in Baltimore starting mid-day.

Agreed about the heat--but might this make angles of sun and shade a factor at the end of the first game (4 PM) and/or beginning of the second? Hope our goalie never has the sun in his eyes.

On a selfish personal note, as I will come to see both games, I'm sad I'll have to eat dinner at Ravens Stadium. A hot dog for lunch seems less unhealthy somehow than a hot dog for dinner.

greybeard
05-24-2010, 12:13 PM
I thought the Va Stoneybrook game was the best of the tournament thus far. I think that Va was outplayed, and was lucky to hold on, but that they made their own luck by making some great plays at crunch time when the game was completely up for grabs.

Va did not do jack on ground balls against Stoneybrook, even though that is supposed to be a VA strength.

I think that the Duke Va match up should be the most entertaining of the tournament, a real shoot out. In that regard, while everyone talks about Va's mids, who really are all that, the guy who I think is responsible for goals in the half court for Va is Stanwick. Stanwick was the one-one pick of his class and his freshman year was a finisher. This year he is Va's set up man in the half court and is quietly terrific at it. I mean terrific.

Stanwick likes to come from behind out wide and reverse. He is tall and sees over the defense and throws passes that are not only extremely accurate but also have great touch. He is particularly adept at finding the dangerous mids on the periphery, which is different than just hitting cutters, which Crotty is great at.

I think Stanwick understands what it takes to score the ball as well as anyone and his play as the set up man reflects it. How Duke tries to contest a guy who only rarely challenges the interior of the defense but is such a potent offensive weapon could well decide this contest.

Having never played the game, I nevertheless will offer a thought about how I might go about defending Stanwick--I would try to disturb Stanwick's vision, and almost force him to try to duck and penetrate. If he scores a few, so what. Keeping Va from doing what it wants in the half court would, I believe, be worth it, and might well result in poor shot selection by Va's mids when they play in the half court. Poor shot selection that is on goal can fuel even further Duke's run out game and make a real difference. A few goals from Stanwick off his own penetration would be worth it.

Of course, the way these two teams like to get up and down, this entire post might be moot. Transition traps, being able to impede clearances, and Duke's ability to pressure the exterior, especially on the wings, might be determinative. Duke seems willing to risk open looks from outside if its pressure in the half court fails to turn people over, which leaves its goal tender pretty vulnerable. I give Va the edge in the goal, and its goalie can get hot and that could be a difference maker, as the guy was a quarterback in an earlier life and when he catches it clean is great at starting Va run outs by some terrific long passes.

Should be a terrific game.

4decadedukie
05-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Best regards--Blue Prof:)

My comments re Duke's goalkeeping are principally prompted by our most recent game against UNC. Although this was an OVERWHELMING Duke victory -- and one we should cherish -- we had a clear weakness "between the pipes." My obvious concern is goaltending of a similar nature against UVa could be the pivotal difference in attaining the National Final game or not doing so. By the way -- and with no offense intended toward Notre Dame, Cornell, or greybeard -- I am personally convinced that the UVa/Duke Semifinal pits the two best Men's Lacrosse teams at season's end.

roywhite
05-24-2010, 02:55 PM
I am personally convinced that the UVa/Duke Semifinal pits the two best Men's Lacrosse teams at season's end.

Duke Basketball did not achieve a National Championship until it's 9th trip to the Final Four.

Keep knocking on the door....and something good may happen.

4decadedukie
05-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Duke Basketball did not achieve a National Championship until it's 9th trip to the Final Four.

Well, I will be 64 next month, I played as an undergraduate, and am an avid Dukie and Lax fan; therefore, I would ask Providence to provide a somewhat more expedited schedule.
:D

greybeard
05-24-2010, 03:57 PM
My comments re Duke's goalkeeping are principally prompted by our most recent game against UNC. Although this was an OVERWHELMING Duke victory -- and one we should cherish -- we had a clear weakness "between the pipes." My obvious concern is goaltending of a similar nature against UVa could be the pivotal difference in attaining the National Final game or not doing so. By the way -- and with no offense intended toward Notre Dame, Cornell, or greybeard -- I am personally convinced that the UVa/Duke Semifinal pits the two best Men's Lacrosse teams at season's end.

No offense taken. I am not at all sure that you are wrong. On the other hand, the Northern game encountered by Maryland and UVa last weekend, and mastered by Cornell and hopefully to a lesser extent by ND, present real problems for the run-and-gun style both Duke and UVa favor.

Having watched Duke carefully for the first time this weekend for a complete game, it seems to be that "the problem between the posts" might well be less a problem with the goalie than a defensive choice made by Danowski.

I see Duke's defense being geared to creating turnovers, in the half court by putting extraordinary pressure on the ball carrier when near the sidelines. The sideline impedes the ball carrier's ability to retreat, some times if the ride begins early enough, the sideline literally creeps up on the guy, and Duke looks to create and win ground balls and run.

That naturally leaves the middle of the field more exposed. With time from straight on, shooters might have time to pick out exposed net and aim well, thus making stops off those long shots when a sideline trap has failed particularly difficult.

It is a price that Duke appears more than willing to pay in order to create and maintain tempo. It lives to run.

So does UVa.

Cornell lives to stop teams which live to run from doing what they live for. I have written many times before how they go about doing this, but they have been wildly successful with that strategy, if my take on the strategy is correct, for two years running.

Cornell is difficult to trap in the half court and its half court offense has been potent. Shot to makes ratios go out the window playing Cornell, since it misses from out front on purpose a good deal of time as a strategy. When it gets what it wants and choses to shoot on goal which is usually from in close, I'm betting it is very proficient and its misses produce few runout possibilities. The danger for Cornell is Tambroni's insistence, which I hate, on playing with a short bench but he seems to have solved some of the tired legs problems that doing so creates and I am hopeful that he will go deeper in the final stages of the tournament, having been burnt by Syracuse last year when its coach's announced strategy was to run in transition just to keep Max and that other dude on the field for extended stretches to take their legs away.

ND plays a similar game, which is misconstrued in my mind by the talking heads as being "defense" oriented. They too play an offense that is geared to prevent run and gun offense and to make people play offense in the half court. They, like Cornell, feel that they are a better half court defense than the run and gun teams and a better half court offense as well.

UVa had all it could handle and then some from a Stoneybrook school that played a similar style.

So, which are the "best" teams in the final four? That's why they play them, 4decadedukie, that's why they play em.

MCFinARL
05-24-2010, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=greybeard;410758]

Having watched Duke carefully for the first time this weekend for a complete game, it seems to be that "the problem between the posts" might well be less a problem with the goalie than a defensive choice made by Danowski. [QUOTE]

This seems like a reasonable explanation up to a point--but UNC actually scored a goal on a pass on Saturday. That's not really a strategy issue; it's a goalie issue. On a brighter note, Wigrizer, who hasn't been starting since he got peppered in the second UVA game, had 3 saves and 3 goals against, for a respectable, if not impressive, 50% average. If we can get a 50% goalie performance, we have a shot against UVA; if not, everything else is going to have to be perfect.

greybeard
05-24-2010, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=greybeard;410758]

Having watched Duke carefully for the first time this weekend for a complete game, it seems to be that "the problem between the posts" might well be less a problem with the goalie than a defensive choice made by Danowski. [QUOTE]

This seems like a reasonable explanation up to a point--but UNC actually scored a goal on a pass on Saturday. That's not really a strategy issue; it's a goalie issue. On a brighter note, Wigrizer, who hasn't been starting since he got peppered in the second UVA game, had 3 saves and 3 goals against, for a respectable, if not impressive, 50% average. If we can get a 50% goalie performance, we have a shot against UVA; if not, everything else is going to have to be perfect.

You need to win the ground ball game, which you are both very good at, impede Stanwick from finding people on the exterior and delivering easily, and hope Ghittleman does not have a couple of his hot runs, in which he makes unconscionable stops and then uses his quarterback skills to lead to something easy on the other end. Make Stanwick shoot, do not let him lay back and pass and UVa's settled offense becomes much more manageable.

Also, your half-court pressure along the sidelines must turn UVa over. If it does and Stanwick is impeded, the percentage your goalie stops becomes less significant. I think Danowski's pressure defense leaves the goalie exposed and that he is happy to live with good-look, long shot goals if the pressure fails to turn teams over. Goal percentages are not the goalie's fault, from what I saw. Nobody in the way to even narrow the look shooters have on goal.

Then, let Crotty be Crotty, and the Duke offense will follow

Also, I would not let S Bratton get off a shot moving to his left. I'd let him get to the goal going to his right and even score a few but I would not let him double back to his left. I'd make him beat me doing what I chose, not the way he wants. I think that that ends up a victory that will pay dividends.

Wow, what a game that one is going to be.

4decadedukie
05-24-2010, 05:47 PM
That's why they play them, 4decadedukie, that's why they play em.

Absolutely; I know that both of us can hardly wait for next weekend. Warm regards.

BlueBDeviler
05-24-2010, 06:49 PM
I really like the confidence that this Duke team is playing with right now. That said, Quinzani and Co will have to step it up another notch this week vs UVA.

We as Duke fans should cherish the win over Carolina. That said, UVA will not play the same 'matador' type defense UNC did. In that game, there were at least two occasions where our guys had basically uncontested runs right into the face of the goal. The 'Hoos will be much more sound on that end. We need to continue the good movement on offense, taking our chances when they present themselves.

UVA survived a tough assignment vs Stony Brook, who has been playing as well as any team in the country of late. Not to mention, doing so in their first road game since the young lady lacrosse player lost her life. You know that weighed upon them.

Duke-UVA should be a great game. It cannot get here soon enough.

LEt'S GO DUKE! :cool:

whirlieduke4
05-24-2010, 07:43 PM
No offense taken. I am not at all sure that you are wrong. On the other hand, the Northern game encountered by Maryland and UVa last weekend, and mastered by Cornell and hopefully to a lesser extent by ND, present real problems for the run-and-gun style both Duke and UVa favor.

Having watched Duke carefully for the first time this weekend for a complete game, it seems to be that "the problem between the posts" might well be less a problem with the goalie than a defensive choice made by Danowski.

I see Duke's defense being geared to creating turnovers, in the half court by putting extraordinary pressure on the ball carrier when near the sidelines. The sideline impedes the ball carrier's ability to retreat, some times if the ride begins early enough, the sideline literally creeps up on the guy, and Duke looks to create and win ground balls and run.

That naturally leaves the middle of the field more exposed. With time from straight on, shooters might have time to pick out exposed net and aim well, thus making stops off those long shots when a sideline trap has failed particularly difficult.

It is a price that Duke appears more than willing to pay in order to create and maintain tempo. It lives to run.

So does UVa.

Cornell lives to stop teams which live to run from doing what they live for. I have written many times before how they go about doing this, but they have been wildly successful with that strategy, if my take on the strategy is correct, for two years running.

Cornell is difficult to trap in the half court and its half court offense has been potent. Shot to makes ratios go out the window playing Cornell, since it misses from out front on purpose a good deal of time as a strategy. When it gets what it wants and choses to shoot on goal which is usually from in close, I'm betting it is very proficient and its misses produce few runout possibilities. The danger for Cornell is Tambroni's insistence, which I hate, on playing with a short bench but he seems to have solved some of the tired legs problems that doing so creates and I am hopeful that he will go deeper in the final stages of the tournament, having been burnt by Syracuse last year when its coach's announced strategy was to run in transition just to keep Max and that other dude on the field for extended stretches to take their legs away.

ND plays a similar game, which is misconstrued in my mind by the talking heads as being "defense" oriented. They too play an offense that is geared to prevent run and gun offense and to make people play offense in the half court. They, like Cornell, feel that they are a better half court defense than the run and gun teams and a better half court offense as well.

UVa had all it could handle and then some from a Stoneybrook school that played a similar style.

So, which are the "best" teams in the final four? That's why they play them, 4decadedukie, that's why they play em.

So, having outlined everything Cornell is good at, could you tell us how Duke, UVA or ND can exploit the Cornell weaknesses and win? I read your post and the only negative thing you said was about the short bench. I haven't watched Cornell lax this year, so could you outline a way for Duke to beat them were they to face each other in the final?

MCFinARL
05-24-2010, 10:43 PM
"Also, I would not let S Bratton get off a shot moving to his left. I'd let him get to the goal going to his right and even score a few but I would not let him double back to his left. I'd make him beat me doing what I chose, not the way he wants. I think that that ends up a victory that will pay dividends. "

Sounds like Shane Battier defending Kobe, per the New York Times!

-bdbd
05-24-2010, 11:17 PM
I really like the confidence that this Duke team is playing with right now. That said, Quinzani and Co will have to step it up another notch this week vs UVA.

We as Duke fans should cherish the win over Carolina. That said, UVA will not play the same 'matador' type defense UNC did. In that game, there were at least two occasions where our guys had basically uncontested runs right into the face of the goal. The 'Hoos will be much more sound on that end. We need to continue the good movement on offense, taking our chances when they present themselves.

UVA survived a tough assignment vs Stony Brook, who has been playing as well as any team in the country of late. Not to mention, doing so in their first road game since the young lady lacrosse player lost her life. You know that weighed upon them.

Duke-UVA should be a great game. It cannot get here soon enough.

LEt'S GO DUKE! :cool:

Agreed. But that "survive at the buzzer" outcome vs SB canNOT have helped an already distracted UVA squad, right? Also, for once we don't have to beat a home-standing Hopkins squad in their home town, in a state where the biggest (other) school/fanbase considers themselves to be a bitter Duke rival. I don't see the crowd being strong either way in Saturday's nightcap.

I really agree with this a lot Roy. I've said the same for Duke Women's BB as well, and occasionally for Men's BB -- get there enough times and, even if you're not ranked #1, 2, or 3, you will eventually win it all. Simple law of averages. We've got as good a shot as anyone, especially since (1) We are playing terrific ball recently and clearly have great momentum and confidence; and (2) Given recent events at UVA the 'hoos probably have had a few distractions to hinder their focus -- bodes well, for example, if we were to get out to an early lead.

Should be a great game. I'll see you there!

:cool:

greybeard
05-24-2010, 11:38 PM
So, having outlined everything Cornell is good at, could you tell us how Duke, UVA or ND can exploit the Cornell weaknesses and win? I read your post and the only negative thing you said was about the short bench. I haven't watched Cornell lax this year, so could you outline a way for Duke to beat them were they to face each other in the final?

First, Duke could go on a run early and make Cornell play catch up, which if the lead is big enough, game, set and match.

It seems to me that I have been outlining all season that Duke needs to master the old-school style of playing Cornell-like, that is, exercising dominion over the ball in the half court, utilizing dodges and shots from distance as a way of drawing midfield defense out, missing on purpose to avoid a goalie catch and a possible run out and instead using the miss as a change-in-the-point of attack ploy.

I really do not know whether Duke has anything like that in its arsenal. If it does, then Duke can do what Syracuse did to Cornell last year and UVa did a bit to Stoneybrok down the stretch--use run outs not to go into immediate attack but to bring Cornell's offensive middies back onto defense and do not give them a chance to get off the field when the Duke offense settles. In other words, play to take away their legs. It worked for Syracuse.

I really have not seen Cornell play any more than I have seen Duke. Rob Per (sorry spelling) is special playing from behind, and they have a box-lax type with experience and length who plays exceptionally well around the goal. You will not stop either. The key is to be physical and committed to guarding the out front offensive players and I believe on the offense to run the heck out of Cornell's defenders, whom Cornell relies upon to do an awful lot.

I have to say that at the beginning of the season I gave Cornell zero chance of getting this far. I still think that they have to be a tad out of their league and that Duke will try to just run away with the game early. If they can force Cornell in needing to score a bunch to catch up, I do not know that Cornell can. Of course, Tambroni is a master at having his guys ready to come out, control tempo, catch the lead and then try to hold on. Who am I to say that Cornell will not continue to do that and win out.

In short, my sense has long been that Duke's weakness is its singular reliance on its strength, everything geared to a run and shoot contest, and inability to play a more controlled style which at times they often must, just like UVa was forced to do against Stoneybrook. UVa did not do that particularly well and had to rely on some spectacular plays and a tiring big three for Stoneybrook to win out.

Cornell's achillies heal, which I hate, is also its seeming strength--Tambroni's style of keeping his best players out on the field longer than the other guy and then leaving them out there to try to hold on down the stretch. You tire them and you invite a team that is otherwise very careful with the ball into one who struggles to hold onto it.

Hope we get to play you guys and find out who wins. If they meet, here's hoping that both teams play really well and that game is decided by one making a few more plays. Lacrosse when it comes down to that, and it often does, well, that to me is the best of what a team sport has to offer.

weezie
05-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Is anybody here going to the games on Sat? IDs sent an email inviting one and all to a party in parking lot H of M&T Stadium at 2pm. Said food and drink will be served and admission free.
Tix are still available for game. Slather on the sunblock; that stadium is a real frying pan, even if it is a 4pm game.
Let's go Duke, c-r-u-s-h the hoos!

AceDukie77
05-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I was at the Cornell vs Loyola triple overtime game and Cornell was lucky to pull that one out. Their defense was non existent in the second half against a limited Loyola team. I will be VERY pleased if we play Cornell for the Championship!

DukieInKansas
05-26-2010, 11:07 AM
I was at the Cornell vs Loyola triple overtime game and Cornell was lucky to pull that one out. Their defense was non existent in the second half against a limited Loyola team. I will be VERY pleased if we play Cornell for the Championship!

Shhh! Let's not discuss this until after the UVA game.

Let's go, Duke!

blueprofessor
05-26-2010, 11:38 AM
The former Hop goalie's analysis: Duke must have a 50% save mark.
Duke's double mumbos will be deadly.

Link:http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2010/05/26/warrior-may-madness-quint-kessenichs-semifinal-matchup-breakdown

Best regards---Blueprofessor:)

greybeard
05-26-2010, 03:58 PM

Depends if you win. Who knows, if Crotty gets clocked in the first minutes of such a contest as Cornell's star did three years ago, could impact the outcome. Sorry, that was a cheap shot, but so is saying that you wish to meet an opponent which by grit alone has earned the respect of the entire LAX world this season.

The LAX world remains an unusual place, at least for a while. Mostly, people play before extremely small crowds and are true to a Lakota tradition of revering one's opponent, without whom there can be no battle and therefore no honor.

When Matt Abbott was interviewed on the evening that the Tewaartan award was to be presented last year, he was asked to detail how the final play in regulation unfolded, the one in which Abbott played a pivotal role--he made that incredible behind the ear pass while being crushed from two sides by Cornell defenders that lead to the last-second goal to tie the game. The interviewer then asked Abbott what he would remember most about that game throughout his life. Abbott's response, "How badly I felt for the Cornell guys after we scored the winning goal." Here, here.

By the way, be careful what you ask for. Cornell, if they can play with the lead in the first half, will be trouble for anyone. Trambroni will invert and have Rob Pannell and the other attackers playing out front, which will save tired legs and present a whole new offense set for an opponent to confront, which is what he showed against Army, although it was not needed. He will then let Pannell loose as a scorer, which he did against Army and the kid delivered (his forte is as a set up man from behind). I also think that Tramboni will go deeper into his bench and do it early. I do not see Tambroni making the misstake of tiring his front line players again, as he did against Loyola and the two games before that, in this Tournament.

If Cornell gets an early lead, and I am surprised to be saying this, you've got to give them a pretty good shot.

Hope the games are great.

77devil
05-27-2010, 12:02 AM
I have one ticket available for Saturday in section 153, lower midfield row 6. If anyone is interested send me a P.M.

blueprofessor
05-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Crotty first team a-A.
Quinzani and McKee second team.
Manley and Costabile 3rd.

UVA had two 1st-teamers, 3 second teamers, and goalie on 3rd team.

Link:http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2010/05/27/usila-announces-division-i-all-america-honors

Link:http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=25937&SPID=2027&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204951361

Go,Duke! Foil the Cavaliers!
Best--Blueprofessor

DevilHorns
05-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Anyone know if tickets are sold out?

all I could find was:

http://www.ticketsnow.com/InventoryBrowse/NCAA-Lacrosse-Championships-Tickets-at-M-T-Bank-Stadium-in-Baltimore?PID=851865

Hope this isn't all thats available...

MCFinARL
05-28-2010, 04:50 PM

all I could find was:

http://www.ticketsnow.com/InventoryBrowse/NCAA-Lacrosse-Championships-Tickets-at-M-T-Bank-Stadium-in-Baltimore?PID=851865

They are definitely not sold out; the official sales are through Ticketmaster.

As it happens I have four seats for the weekend in sec. 129, row 29 (bought 6 tix, only using 2), which I'd be happy to sell you some or all of--but I am in Arlington, VA--so I don't know how I would get them to you without trying to meet you at the stadium, which could be pretty complicated.

weezie
05-28-2010, 08:46 PM

all I could find was:

Check your PMs

greybeard
05-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Cornell is having a team meal at the pregame tailgate spot west of the stadium. there are three large screens that will be there for those who want to watch the second game with the team, which will have to include their families and friends, at least, and lots of others. I should think that people will be happy to give away their tickets even to Dukies. Whether there is some special stamp to get back in, who knows. I know that I would argue like hell and prevail if they stopped me from entering with a valid ticket. Something to think about.

I bought two seats on Tickmaster, immediate print out of tickets, in the club section in the corner of one end zone from $50 a seat this morning. Have to think seats are still available.

If you like passing and catching sports with a lot of acrobatic and clever play, it has to be the best day on the planet except perhaps the day of the semis in the Dance. See you guys there, let's hope it's a read and blue finals!

MCFinARL
05-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Cornell is having a team meal at the pregame tailgate spot west of the stadium. there are three large screens that will be there for those who want to watch the second game with the team, which will have to include their families and friends, at least, and lots of others. I should think that people will be happy to give away their tickets even to Dukies. Whether there is some special stamp to get back in, who knows. I know that I would argue like hell and prevail if they stopped me from entering with a valid ticket. Something to think about.

I bought two seats on Tickmaster, immediate print out of tickets, in the club section in the corner of one end zone from $50 a seat this morning. Have to think seats are still available.

If you like passing and catching sports with a lot of acrobatic and clever play, it has to be the best day on the planet except perhaps the day of the semis in the Dance. See you guys there, let's hope it's a read and blue finals!

They may have hand stamps--they did in Foxborough. According to the elaborate rules and policies that came with my tickets, you can reenter the stadium if you leave only between the games (presumably to reduce alcohol consumption, since they don't sell in the stadium during NCAA championship events), so anyone who wants to use a Cornell seat might need to time it pretty carefully even if they don't have stamps.

-bdbd
05-29-2010, 12:03 AM

For those who are going, is there any sort of Iron Dukes function or tailgate between games, or just beforehand (or after)? Where? Would love to say hello to some fellow DBR's. Am going but maybe not for the first game due to a conflict. Send me a private note if you like.

Let's go Devils!! Feelin' lucky Duke???!

Thurber Whyte
05-29-2010, 12:54 PM
For those who are going, is there any sort of Iron Dukes function or tailgate between games, or just beforehand (or after)? Where? Would love to say hello to some fellow DBR's. Am going but maybe not for the first game due to a conflict. Send me a private note if you like.

Let's go Devils!! Feelin' lucky Duke???!

Yes, there is a pre-game party! Here is the information I got from the Iron Dukes:

All Duke Fans in attendance are invited to a pre-game party on Saturday, May 29th prior to the semi-final contests. Admission is free to the party, which will be held in Lot H at tents O and P (marked by the Duke flags) in the tent village at M&T Bank Stadium from 2 PM - 6 PM.
Should Duke win on Saturday, another pre-game party will be held on Monday, May 31st in the same location from 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM.

It says “All Duke fans” so I do not think you have to be an Iron Duke or have purchased your game tickets through Duke to get in.

Indoor66
05-29-2010, 06:13 PM

Rough day for the Greybearded one. ND doing a number on the Big Red.

godukerocks
05-29-2010, 08:05 PM
7-5 Virginia at the half.

Both Ned and Max have no points. Mckee and Torii are keeping us in it.

Good man-up play, but overall a sloppy game so far.

Let's see if we can get our top guys going and hopefully establish an offensive rhythm.

Spy
05-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Man, this is frustrating. They need to play to their strengths offensively. There is too much outside shooting. That is not the type of team they are. They best at getting inside the defense and taking close shots.

And some better goalie play would be good. But there isn't too much we can do about that.

4decadedukie
05-29-2010, 09:19 PM
No one ever suggested this game would be easy; it was not, it was a war. However, Duke again heads for the National Championship (14 - 13, with only seconds left).

Go Blue Devils!!!

FireOgilvie
05-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Wow, that goal with 13 seconds left was fantastic! Awesome game.

Son of Mojo
05-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Way to go Devils!!!

godukerocks
05-29-2010, 09:25 PM
What an incredible game, and unbelievable finish. Fitting that it was Ned to Max. Somehow Quinzani got an opening, and put it away. One more!

uh_no
05-29-2010, 09:26 PM
and the best part of this national final is that Johns Hopkins isn't part of it

obowl1955
05-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Way to go Devils!!!!

devildeac
05-29-2010, 09:41 PM
We felt like we were watching the MBB NC game with losing a lead and then a couple TO/misses/give-aways in the last minute. Whew!

devildeac
05-29-2010, 09:42 PM
and the best part of this national final is that Johns Hopkins isn't part of it

And WE sent THEM home this year:D.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Huge win - clutch play all around. Games like this are why lacrosse is so much fun to watch. Crotty and Max stepped up big as seniors, excellent play by the face-off unit, and our goalie made some nice saves as the game progressed. I'm hoping we have some energy left for Monday and this wasn't a case of the two best teams beating each other up in the semis - Notre Dame had a much easier run of things.

The announcers caught most of the major story lines but failed to mention that Clausen, who was guarding Crotty most of the game, is one of the guys who bailed on his commitment to Duke when they were all released after the Nifong debacle. Quinzani stuck around and was rewarded.

Devilsfan
05-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Great game Devils! Take that D.B.

rfaison
05-29-2010, 09:57 PM
We felt like we were watching the MBB NC game with losing a lead and then a couple TO/misses/give-aways in the last minute. Whew!

I was thinking/feeling that too ... glad to read I wasn't the only one. Wow, what a finish. I was worried after things seemed to be slipping away after that TO.

I'm debating whether to go to the finals - superstition says stay at home as attending a final four game @ College Park some years ago ended in a loss to Princeton - but it sure would be fun to be there for our first national title!

Was anyone else bothered by how often the announcers talked about the tragic events (and I surely agree it was beyond awful) @ UVA? I don't know what the right balance is, but I thought they gave it too much time (but maybe that's bc I live in DC metro MD area, not so far from Landon school and it's gotten a lot of press here) and have a colleague whose daughter played lax @ UVA and is still in Charlottesville, so I've been kind of immersed in it.

DukeSean
05-29-2010, 10:00 PM
what a game, what a game, what a game! still catching my breath...

westwall
05-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Fantastic 4th quarter win.
Sorry it ended with a turnover by UVA, but nevertheless!!

burnspbesq
05-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Props to Virginia for not folding at 12-8.

Props to Dan Wigrizer for making just enough saves.

Props to the Duke mids, who kept us in the game in the first half.

Props to the Duke face-off unit.

So many big plays, it's hard to sort them all out. Howell's diving goal was huge. Crotty's first goal was huge. Costabile and Montelli were huge for 60 minutes. At the time, I thought the turnover that Jake Tripucka caused behind our net was a game-changer. He and Lawson have really stepped into their roles as short-stick d-mids and wingmen on the faceoff unit.

Definitely watching that one again.

terrih
05-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Super game today. Clutch goal at the end. Keep it going guys. LGD!

devildeac
Fantastic 4th quarter win.
Sorry it ended with a turnover by UVA, but nevertheless!!

I thought it was fitting as it sure looked like the ref just stopped play with about 5 seconds to go and we had the ball. Next thing ya know, uva had the ball AND 3 more seconds on the clock. Grrr. But, like Heyward missing the last shot, we prevailed.

Verga3
Congrats to MLAX!! Tough game against #1 UVA. Our seniors really stepped up....Thanks Max and Ned and company.

This may have been one of the most intense and emotional (Yeardley Love) Final Four games ever...in any sport.

God bless and keep the UVA family as they face life beyond and above college sports. Duke loves you.

burnspbesq
05-29-2010, 10:19 PM
I thought it was fitting as it sure looked like the ref just stopped play with about 5 seconds to go and we had the ball. Next thing ya know, uva had the ball AND 3 more seconds on the clock.

It was a good call. Costabile put one foot into the box, and stepped out when he started to lose the handle. In the last two minutes stall warning is automatic for the team with the lead. Virginia going offside with five seconds to go is a brain-cramp of staggering proportions.

4decadedukie
05-29-2010, 10:20 PM
A deserved victory, one that represents a season where Duke began as the consensus #1 team, initially played disappointingly, and -- with effort, teamwork, and talent -- resurrected itself. Two facts seem especially germane: (1) UVa suffered only two losses this year, both to Duke and (2) in the last several years against UVa -- always a great men's lax team -- Duke is now (if memory serves) 10 for 11.

Notre Dame is an excellent team, they defeated Duke early in the season, they turned their season around in April and May, and their NCAA play has been outstanding. Further, Duke could be understandably mentally -- and perhaps physically -- exhausted after tonight's marathon against Virginia. However, we can -- and we should -- be the 2010 National Champions.

chrishoke
It just doesn't get any better that this. Great job devils. So sweet.

grossbus
Wow!

Go Duke!!!

SCMatt33
05-29-2010, 10:35 PM
WTF IS THIS (from NCAA.com)!?!?!? IIRC, didn't something like this happen with basketball, too?

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/Ads/10874/10/NCAA_052910-NotreDameLacrosse-BigAd.jpg

MB in MD
05-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Just back from seeing the game at M&T. Just tremendously exciting. I have to say part of the excitement was generated by the UVa comeback after Duke was up 12-8 as it was very much a UVa crowd (or possibly an anti-Duke crowd, so what else is new) and while I appreciate their contributing to the atmosphere it was all the more gratifying to shut them up at the end.

A couple of observations from being there without having the benefit of having announcers tell me what I should have been thinking:

We win because
a) Wigrizer grew up in the second half. He was very shaky in the first half, and I was pretty sure up until about 5 minutes into the second quarter that the main difference in the game was Ghitelman being Ghitelman and Dan not coming up big enough. He was hardly lights out, but he made enough plays to give us confidence

b) faceoffs. I haven't seen the statistics, but I was there. We were great. What else is there to say?

c) Whatever Danowski put in Quinzani's and Crotty's water bottles at halftime. They were almost completely eliminated as factors in the first half, but the second half was a totally different story. The two Crotty to Quinzani goals were things of beauty, the last one, of course, being the more beautiful. I don't know the game well enough to tell if we actually made adjustments or if they just woke up, but it was nice to see.

d) We contained the Brattons. We sacrificed a bit and Stanwick, Bocklet and Carroll hurt us but you have to give up something. I only remember Shamel successfully going left twice: once he scored, and the second was on a ridiculous stick-behind-the-back move where he got off a good shot and just barely missed. We'll take it.

We almost lost because:
a) we couldn't clear the damn ball. This was the weakest part of our game all game long. I remember a sequence at about the 8 or 9 minute mark in the 4th quarter when we scored to go up 4, won the faceoff and then whoever won it (I forget who) took an ill advised quick shot, Va came back, took a shot that Wigrizer saved but then we turned it over trying to go back upfield. Va recovered, scored quickly, and the crowd was back in the game, which I think contributed to the only stretch of the game that they were at all competitive on faceoffs.

b) We did not handle physical play all that well and turned the ball over too much, and especially panicked in the face of Virginia's desperation pressure when they got down 12-8.

c) We still are weak in goal. I do give props to Wigrizer for stepping up and getting better, but he still let in some shaky goals, and also made some terrible passes. Though he played well enough, just watching Ghitelman (and Rogers in the game before) illustrated how far he has to come to be a first rate D1 goalie.

BTW, can anybody tell me what those two turnovers were in the last 12 seconds of the game after Quinzani scored? I did see the faceoff violation that gave us the ball, but don't know what our turnover was at :08 nor the last UVa one that sealed it. Needless to say, after we gave it back to them I was going nuts, thinking impure thoughts about Haywood's revenge.

Hope the guys can cherish the win for a few hours. They should not underestimate Notre Dame. They absolutely imposed their will on a very good Cornell team, and their defense is organized and very physical. We need to not panic, but also not be afraid of that mountain in goal. In two successive games, first Maryland and then Cornell were just afraid to shoot the ball unless they got the perfect opportunity. And Notre Dame's defense is too good to allow that to happen too often.

good luck Monday LAXDevils. I'll be there cheering for you, in what promises to be a sea of Notre Dame fans.

rfaison
05-29-2010, 11:24 PM
J
BTW, can anybody tell me what those two turnovers were in the last 12 seconds of the game after Quinzani scored? I did see the faceoff violation that gave us the ball, but don't know what our turnover was at :08 nor the last UVa one that sealed it. Needless to say, after we gave it back to them I was going nuts, thinking impure thoughts about Haywood's revenge.

The last turnover was offsides by UVA, our turnover is explained in an earlier post - something about our guy stepping in then out of the box with the ball (helpful to have the tv announcers to tell me what just happened).

MB in MD
05-29-2010, 11:29 PM
The last turnover was offsides by UVA, our turnover is explained in an earlier post - something about our guy stepping in then out of the box with the ball (helpful to have the tv announcers to tell me what just happened).

thx. Missed that post--came thru while I was writing I think

Big Pappa
05-29-2010, 11:30 PM
What an incredible game. Max played great and I love the quote from Crotty, "Obviously, I like going to Max, so I was looking at the field, I saw him make a cut and kind of threw it behind the guy's head. And Max was there just in time and stuck it."

-bdbd
05-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Just back from seeing the game at M&T. Just tremendously exciting. I have to say part of the excitement was generated by the UVa comeback after Duke was up 12-8 as it was very much a UVa crowd (or possibly an anti-Duke crowd, so what else is new) and while I appreciate their contributing to the atmosphere it was all the more gratifying to shut them up at the end.

Hope the guys can cherish the win for a few hours. They should not underestimate Notre Dame. They absolutely imposed their will on a very good Cornell team, and their defense is organized and very physical. We need to not panic, but also not be afraid of that mountain in goal. In two successive games, first Maryland and then Cornell were just afraid to shoot the ball unless they got the perfect opportunity. And Notre Dame's defense is too good to allow that to happen too often.

good luck Monday LAXDevils. I'll be there cheering for you, in what promises to be a sea of Notre Dame fans.

Very, very exciting game. I was very excited when we made that incredible run to go up by 4. Then scared s---less when we seemed to lose composure and aggressiveness and allow them to tie with a minute to go. The high-fiving everyone in the vicinity after the final goal. Wow!

The Duke t/o at 8 sec remaining - I too don't know the rules that well - the ref had his mike on and said "...the ball hit him (pointing to the Duke player), Virginia ball." It was a loose ball and I guess either you can't have it hit off your body, or he kicked it or something. The UVA t/o with three seconds was an offsides call.

The TV analysts seemed to be saying afterwards that Duke'll be favored on Monday, but that hot goalie for ND could easily give them the win.

Just awesome gang! Knocking on the door again. Keep banging and we're gonna break in eventually. Maybe Monday! See you there.

:eek: :o :rolleyes: :D

weezie
05-29-2010, 11:46 PM

We were stumped in our little clot of Duke fans, glad to have this explanation.

Wow, it was quite a game! Every time it seemed that Duke was caving in, lo and behold!!! Just the definition of grit tonight.
BTW, though, the M&T stadium is getting grimy and narsty. The bathrooms were gross.
And the mess in lot H, leftover from party people, many of whom delighted in booing our Duke shirts as we walked by, along with the chants of "Duke *****" soooooo original :rolleyes:, was really appalling.
Beaucoups tix available for Monday's game.
Boo-hoo 'hoos. Couldn't happen to a better fan base of annoying blowhards.
[Hey bdbd, sorry we missed you!]

weezie
05-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Welcome back from your honeymoon, big man! :)

CoBlueDevil
05-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Man, I recorded the game but only had a half hour extension, and it went longer than that so I missed the last six minutes or so. Which is when the game got crazy. Pissed me off!

But whatever, they won and played great. Showed some resilience to come back three down and take it. Cant wait for the title game. Lets go Duke! Take the LAX title, just like our beloved bball team did!

77devil
05-29-2010, 11:59 PM

A couple of observations from being there without having the benefit of having announcers tell me what I should have been thinking:

We win because
a) Wigrizer grew up in the second half. He was very shaky in the first half, and I was pretty sure up until about 5 minutes into the second quarter that the main difference in the game was Ghitelman being Ghitelman and Dan not coming up big enough. He was hardly lights out, but he made enough plays to give us confidence

b) faceoffs. I haven't seen the statistics, but I was there. We were great. What else is there to say?

c) Whatever Danowski put in Quinzani's and Crotty's water bottles at halftime. They were almost completely eliminated as factors in the first half, but the second half was a totally different story. The two Crotty to Quinzani goals were things of beauty, the last one, of course, being the more beautiful. I don't know the game well enough to tell if we actually made adjustments or if they just woke up, but it was nice to see.

d) We contained the Brattons. We sacrificed a bit and Stanwick, Bocklet and Carroll hurt us but you have to give up something. I only remember Shamel successfully going left twice: once he scored, and the second was on a ridiculous stick-behind-the-back move where he got off a good shot and just barely missed. We'll take it.

We almost lost because:
a) we couldn't clear the damn ball. This was the weakest part of our game all game long. I remember a sequence at about the 8 or 9 minute mark in the 4th quarter when we scored to go up 4, won the faceoff and then whoever won it (I forget who) took an ill advised quick shot, Va came back, took a shot that Wigrizer saved but then we turned it over trying to go back upfield. Va recovered, scored quickly, and the crowd was back in the game, which I think contributed to the only stretch of the game that they were at all competitive on faceoffs.

b) We did not handle physical play all that well and turned the ball over too much, and especially panicked in the face of Virginia's desperation pressure when they got down 12-8.

c) We still are weak in goal. I do give props to Wigrizer for stepping up and getting better, but he still let in some shaky goals, and also made some terrible passes. Though he played well enough, just watching Ghitelman (and Rogers in the game before) illustrated how far he has to come to be a first rate D1 goalie.

Back from M&T and not much to add to this excellent summary. Face offs were indeed key particularly in the first half when Duke's goal tending was shaky and theirs was smothering. Duke won all but a couple. Interesting that Duke switched players for a few face offs during the the UVA comeback from down 12-8.

I was a bit resigned at 8-5. Maybe it was from sitting across the isle of the main UVA section, Howie Long and all. Duke's poor play in closing minutes of the first half when UVA scored two seemed to carry over into the beginning of the second half. And Duke reels off seven straight. Go figure.

Last call against UVA was offsides. Clever move by the Duke player to hit the brakes short of midfield. No idea what the call on Duke was immediately before.

Onto Monday. Tonight felt like the championship game. If Duke plays to its ability, it should win.

SCMatt33
05-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Man, I recorded the game but only had a half hour extension, and it went longer than that so I missed the last six minutes or so. Which is when the game got crazy. Pissed me off!

But whatever, they won and played great. Showed some resilience to come back three down and take it. Cant wait for the title game. Lets go Duke! Take the LAX title, just like our beloved bball team did!

The entire game is on replay on ESPN3.com if you have access to it.

CoBlueDevil
05-30-2010, 01:35 AM
The entire game is on replay on ESPN3.com if you have access to it.

Good looking out, thanks man!

77devil
05-30-2010, 08:45 AM
We were stumped in our little clot of Duke fans, glad to have this explanation.

Wow, it was quite a game! Every time it seemed that Duke was caving in, lo and behold!!! Just the definition of grit tonight.
BTW, though, the M&T stadium is getting grimy and narsty. The bathrooms were gross.
And the mess in lot H, leftover from party people, many of whom delighted in booing our Duke shirts as we walked by, along with the chants of "Duke *****" soooooo original :rolleyes:, was really appalling.
Beaucoups tix available for Monday's game.
Boo-hoo 'hoos. Couldn't happen to a better fan base of annoying blowhards.
[Hey bdbd, sorry we missed you!]

Didn't receive the third degree on the walk. I suppose the "Order Has Been Restored" phrase on my shirt went over their heads

blueprofessor
05-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Back from M&T and not much to add to this excellent summary. Face offs were indeed key particularly in the first half when Duke's goal tending was shaky and theirs was smothering. Duke won all but a couple. Interesting that Duke switched players for a few face offs during the the UVA comeback from down 12-8.

I was a bit resigned at 8-5. Maybe it was from sitting across the isle of the main UVA section, Howie Long and all. Duke's poor play in closing minutes of the first half when UVA scored two seemed to carry over into the beginning of the second half. And Duke reels off seven straight. Go figure.

Last call against UVA was offsides. Clever move by the Duke player to hit the brakes short of midfield. No idea what the call on Duke was immediately before.

Onto Monday. Tonight felt like the championship game. If Duke plays to its ability, it should win.

Costabile juggled the ball and stepped out of the box, giving UVA a last chance.
Perhaps, the sloppiest, great game I have seen.
Turnovers were 17-17! 88 shots! Duke cleared only 12 of 21 times!

Our unlisted all-Americas Turri (3 goals, 1 assist) and Howell (2 goals, 1 assist) played very well.

We won the faceoffs 19-11. We were more athletic in this game. We scored on 4 of 5 extra-man opps; UVA only scored on 1 of 2 opps.

Our goalie had only 1 save in last quarter, their all-A goalie had none. We attacked and pressured UVA the entire game all over the field-- trying to limit UVA's close shots.

Goalie save percentage: Duke 7/21 (33%) was awful. We were saved by Ghit's 8/22 (36%).

Crotty's pass to Max for winner was all instinct and ,if both were not such great players, would have been a miracle. The pass was incredible, but the catch/shoot was at that level, too.

Crotty had a great 2nd half. Clausen limited him in the 1st half. Crotty finished with 1 goal and 2 beautiful assists--putting him in lead for the T.

We cannot be sloppy vs. ND. Their goalie will be tough. We need maximum possessions to win the game.

Starsia got his due. Sports Center nimrod's description that there were "still questions left" re the hoax was as erroneous as it was outrageous.

ND beat us earlier. We are an improved team , but so are they.

Go, Duke! Best--Blueprofessor:)

burnspbesq
05-30-2010, 10:41 AM
After re-watching it three times, I am certain that the offside call against Virginia at the end was correct. When play resumes, they have only four players in the defensive end: Carroll, Ghitelman, and two defensemen. So as soon as Carroll crosses the midfield line, it's a violation.

The more interesting question is where was the third defenseman. Can't be certain from the camera angle that ESPN presented, but did the Cavs only have nine guys on the field?

The stall violation against Duke was also a correct call, although I didn't describe it correctly in my earlier comment. The ball was on the ground inside the box (as a result of Costabile dropping it), and Costabile took it outside when he scooped it up with both feet outside. The smarter play would have been to knock it toward the corner, but vacuum cleaners gotta do what vacuum cleaners gotta do.

devildeac
05-30-2010, 11:23 AM
After re-watching it three times, I am certain that the offside call against Virginia at the end was correct. When play resumes, they have only four players in the defensive end: Carroll, Ghitelman, and two defensemen. So as soon as Carroll crosses the midfield line, it's a violation.

The more interesting question is where was the third defenseman. Can't be certain from the camera angle that ESPN presented, but did the Cavs only have nine guys on the field?

The stall violation against Duke was also a correct call, although I didn't describe it correctly in my earlier comment. The ball was on the ground inside the box (as a result of Costabile dropping it), and Costabile took it outside when he scooped it up with both feet outside. The smarter play would have been to knock it toward the corner, but vacuum cleaners gotta do what vacuum cleaners gotta do.

Thanks for the explanation. Some strange rules as he certainly did not give the appearance of "stalling," especially with 8 seconds left. I guess he could have made a run on goal, taken a "wild" shot, have it go over the end line as long as we had a player closer to the ball, thereby retaining possession.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-30-2010, 12:37 PM
When the whistle blew for offsides on UVA, I actually thought they were calling us for the same penalty, as I think our guy who was chasing the guy with the ball (I think it was Quinzani) took a few steps over the line as well. Luckily their guy went over first.

3rd Dukie
05-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Congrats to MLAX!! Tough game against #1 UVA. Our seniors really stepped up....Thanks Max and Ned and company.

This may have been one of the most intense and emotional (Yeardley Love) Final Four games ever...in any sport.

God bless and keep the UVA family as they face life beyond and above college sports. Duke loves you.

DITTO!
May God be with the Hoos through this awful time of pain and insanity.

Kewlswim
05-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi,

Did others catch a bunch of shirts that said "Puke" on them? Every time I saw one on t.v. I wanted to yell out to them, "Honor Code." (As if yelling at the t.v. does much good.)

Also, where is it written that every female LAX player has to be amazingly attractive? Or are those just the ladies who play for Duke or UVA? I thought female field hockey players were gorgeous. My goodness. Maybe women feel the same way about male LAX players? No wonder when I hung out with LAX players beautiful women seemed to just appear as if by magic. I so wished I had learned the sport rather than tennis. Now tennis is a great sport to play, but then...LAX for sure (even short guys seemed to do ok in the sport).

GO DUKE!

roywhite
05-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi,

Did others catch a bunch of shirts that said "Puke" on them? Every time I saw one on t.v. I wanted to yell out to them, "Honor Code." (As if yelling at the t.v. does much good.)

Wasn't at the game yesterday, but I've visited Charlottesville several times and seen the UVa fans in action. They seem to regard lacrosse as their thing, a sport that fits their image and lifestyle.

Bugs the heck out of them that Duke owns them in lacrosse over the last several years. Good.

devildeac
05-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Wasn't at the game yesterday, but I've visited Charlottesville several times and seen the UVa fans in action. They seem to regard lacrosse as their thing, a sport that fits their image and lifestyle.

Bugs the heck out of them that Duke owns them in lacrosse over the last several years. Good.

And MBB and WBB.

Now FB is another story but Cut seems to be starting a trend...:D

Hey, maybe THEY are our rivals...;)

Kewlswim
05-30-2010, 10:43 PM

Hi,

UVA grads I meet, once they learn I went to Duke, seem to blurt out how UVA is just as good as or better than Duke. And on many occasions add, for good measure, how Duke is the most academically over-rated school in the nation. This is usually done without any provocation. If there are Duke people in the room we usually don't say anything one way or the other. The chip on their shoulder is huge. Too bad their football or basketball teams don't have it, maybe they would be a little more successful. Oops I meant to add LAX teams to that list too. :D Whiny Ho's. I mean Whiny Hoos.

GO DUKE!

MCFinARL
05-30-2010, 11:52 PM
When the whistle blew for offsides on UVA, I actually thought they were calling us for the same penalty, as I think our guy who was chasing the guy with the ball (I think it was Quinzani) took a few steps over the line as well. Luckily their guy went over first.

Not sure who it was, but, yes--he got right up to the line, tried to stop, and fell over it.

MCFinARL
05-31-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the explanation. Some strange rules as he certainly did not give the appearance of "stalling," especially with 8 seconds left. I guess he could have made a run on goal, taken a "wild" shot, have it go over the end line as long as we had a player closer to the ball, thereby retaining possession.

Yes, but that wouldn't have prevented the "stall" call if the player's feet left the box in the course of his run. It is an odd rule, sort of a substitute for a shot clock, except that instead of requiring you to shoot, they require you to keep the ball inside the box once you get it in there. Through most of the game, the rule applies only when the refs give a stall warning. But at the end of the game, as someone noted earlier in the thread, it automatically applies to the team with the lead. So because the ball was inside the box when Duke got it but the player's feet went out of the box, the stall rule applied even though Duke had just gotten possession. You are certainly right, though, that in this case actually stalling had nothing to do with it.

burnspbesq
05-31-2010, 01:04 PM

If Duke had gone offside with Virginia in possession, the correct officiating decision would have been to throw a flag and let play continue. If UVa had scored to tie the game, the flag would have been picked up and teams would have started overtime at even strength.

burnspbesq
05-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Speaking of violations at the end, Kessenich blew the call - the procedure violation by Virginia on the last faceoff was a really astute bit of coaching by Starsia. I'm sure that Dano sent Payton out with instructions to tie it up for as long as possible and force the ball into the Virginia end when it finally came out. The only way the Hoos could be certain of defeating that strategy was to commit the violation and then try to force an immediate turnover, which they got when Costabile committed the stall violation.

They were set up pretty well if they hadn't gone offside. Carroll would have gotten to the top of the box with time for one quick dodge or one pass and an immediate shot. I'm sure they have a play where Shamel Bratton comes off a screen on the right wing with an opportunity to crank it left-handed. I would not have bet on Wigrizer making the save in that situation.