PDA

View Full Version : It's getting a bit testy in here!

-jk
05-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Folks... Please keep it civil. Attack the post not the poster. All that stuff. If you haven't read the stickies recently (or at all) please take some time and read them and think on them. Before you post again.

We picked up a lot of new members in March and April. Newbies, take the time to understand the culture here, and read more than you post. Everyone else, take it easy on the newbies. Teach them our culture without belittling them.

This is supposed to be a fun and informative place.

Things are slow right now, but posting just to post doesn't help. If you have nothing to say, don't say it. If you just want to kvetch, take it somewhere else. Lord knows the interwebs are full of places that welcome kvetching. But we're not one of them.

And please take the time to use some reasonable facsimile of the English language.

We do have standards here. And they will be enforced.

C'mon, really... It's late spring. The flowers bloomed. The birds sang. The Tar Heels choked. And we won the friggin' national championship! It doesn't get any better for a Duke fan!

So do what your mom always told you: turn off that blasted idiot box and get outside and play! Don't worry - we'll still be here when you come back in.

-jk

-jk
05-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Let me try again, from a slightly different angle: There is no reason to get into a lather about each other's posting style. We're here to have fun, not to nit-pick everyone's posts.

We do appreciate when people spell players' names correctly. It shows respect.

We also appreciate some attempt at correct spelling, punctuation, grammar - all that stuff our parents and teachers mercilessly and thanklessly pounded into our heads. Turns out some of it's really useful for clarity. We have way too many opportunities to misconstrue messages around here; let's not add to them with twitter or l33t or txt msg grmr. The interwebs are full of places for that but this isn't one of them. We plan to keep it that way.

And please think for a moment before you post. Think if your post makes sense in its context. Think how it fits within the Posting Guidelines. Think if it really advances the conversation and adds something to the community here. Think about others and their reactions; it's not just about you. Think!

Then take a few moments to read what you've written (the preview button helps) and decide if you want to put that thought out there. We've yet to have a member get attacked or get in trouble for not posting. Think about that option sometimes, too.

This place is only as good as we collectively make it. Let's keep it the best sports board around. It'll be more fun for all of us that way.

-jk

gep
05-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Then take a few moments to read what you've written (the preview button helps) and decide if you want to put that thought out there. We've yet to have a member get attacked or get in trouble for not posting. Think about that option sometimes, too.

-jk

jk... As I've read your 2 posts, I started thinking of what you say above. While I don't think the software currently provides... it would be cool if after a post is written, the only option is "preview"... then a pause for 30 seconds or so, where nothing can happen... then the "submit reply" button appears. May force posters to at least glance at their posts... if not actually reading and thinking... before "submitting"... :)

-jk
05-24-2010, 10:06 AM
jk... As I've read your 2 posts, I started thinking of what you say above. While I don't think the software currently provides... it would be cool if after a post is written, the only option is "preview"... then a pause for 30 seconds or so, where nothing can happen... then the "submit reply" button appears. May force posters to at least glance at their posts... if not actually reading and thinking... before "submitting"... :)

I really like this idea. We'll be making some changes throughout the summer, perhaps we can incorporate this somehow.

-jk

Indoor66
05-24-2010, 06:49 PM
I really like this idea. We'll be making some changes throughout the summer, perhaps we can incorporate this somehow.

-jk

Not a bad idea but 30 seconds is a loooooooooong time.

-jk
05-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Not a bad idea but 30 seconds is a loooooooooong time.

Yeah, I can see that. Perhaps something vaguely proportional to the word count. (Sorry, Greybeard ;) )

gep
05-25-2010, 01:47 AM
I thought that 30 seconds was probably "general" in nature... no real "feel" except to put on some kind of "pause". I did think of those rather "long" posts... the word count sounds like a plan...:)

weezie
05-25-2010, 09:26 AM
If there is going to be any redecorating done this summer, would it be possible to get a click at the bottom of the page that takes you back to the main/OT boards instead of scrolling back up to the top? Or am I overlooking something? Something that is different from the forum jump, that is.

MulletMan
05-25-2010, 12:35 PM
That feature is available just below the Quick Reply Box in the lower right hand corner where it says "Forum Jump".

-jk
05-25-2010, 01:49 PM
If there is going to be any redecorating done this summer, would it be possible to get a click at the bottom of the page that takes you back to the main/OT boards instead of scrolling back up to the top? Or am I overlooking something? Something that is different from the forum jump, that is.

There are several ways to get back to the top without scrolling.