PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Gift Ever

Big Pappa
05-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Well DBR family I am taking a short hiatus from you in order to get married tomorrow. I am having my bachelor party today (a 3 on 3 basketball tournament), and then following the wedding we are going on a honeymoon for 5 days. Subsequently, I will not be frequenting the boards.

The title of the thread comes from the picture below, it is what my Dad got me for my wedding present.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2wd3a8o.jpg

It may be a little hard to see but it says:

To Zach: Always lead with your heart! Also, congratulations & best wishes to you and your bride 5/21/10. Mike Krzyzewski

I'm gonna miss you guys for the week, but my new bride and my new picture will ease the pain :D.

wilko
05-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Hey Fella,
Congrats man. I enjoy reading your posts. The board wont be the same without you while you are gone.

I'm sure you must mean that your bride-to-be is the greatest gift ever... :D
It would be indeed sad to hear about the man that spent his Honeymoon on the couch.:eek:

My Best.

airowe
05-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Congrats Big Pappa. I'll joining you in the Land of the Married at the end of next month.

All the best to you, your bride, and your picture.

calvindog
05-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Zach -- congrats on your big day! And yes, that is an incredible present.

Your posts will be missed!

DukieInKansas
05-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Best wishes for a long and happy marriage.

I bet the best gift will be the sight of your bride as she begins her walk down the aisle to join her life with yours. The book will take 2nd place to that - but it is really cool!

Kedsy
05-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Well DBR family I am taking a short hiatus from you in order to get married tomorrow. I am having my bachelor party today (a 3 on 3 basketball tournament), and then following the wedding we are going on a honeymoon for 5 days. Subsequently, I will not be frequenting the boards.

The title of the thread comes from the picture below, it is what my Dad got me for my wedding present.

It may be a little hard to see but it says:

To Zach: Always lead with your heart! Also, congratulations & best wishes to you and your bride 5/21/10. Mike Krzyzewski

I'm gonna miss you guys for the week, but my new bride and my new picture will ease the pain :D.

Congrats, big guy. I also had a little basketball tourney the morning of my wedding. Enjoy the 'moon and married life!

BD80
05-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Well DBR family I am taking a short hiatus from you in order to get married tomorrow. I am having my bachelor party today (a 3 on 3 basketball tournament), ...

Big congrats Big Pappa!

As for the tourney, you gearing up for the 2020 Olympics?

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64I5ON20100519

rhcpflea99
05-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Congrats Big Pappa

Bluedog
05-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Congrats! Quite a nice gift, too! I have a similar Coach K signed 8.5" x 11" "poster" from a few years ago, so it doesn't have recent players (and out of date stats on the back!). Random question - you think it was actually Coach K that wrote the message or simply signed his name? On mine, I had always assumed it was a secretary or something that wrote the message and he just signed it...But now that I see yours the all-caps writing looks like the same as on mine, so it's either the same person that has been doing it for him for the past few years or Coach K himself. Can anybody who perhaps got Coach K to write a message in person at a book signing or something confirm that's his all-caps writing? I was always curious...

dukemsu
05-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Way Awesome Big Pappa.

Congrats and have a great honeymoon.

dukemsu

dukemsu
05-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Congrats! Quite a nice gift, too! I have a similar Coach K signed 8.5" x 11" "poster" from a few years ago, so it doesn't have recent players (and out of date stats on the back!). Random question - you think it was actually Coach K that wrote the message or simply signed his name? On mine, I had always assumed it was a secretary or something that wrote the message and he just signed it...But now that I see yours the all-caps writing looks like the same as on mine, so it's either the same person that has been doing it for him for the past few years or Coach K himself. Can anybody who perhaps got Coach K to write a message in person at a book signing or something confirm that's his all-caps writing? I was always curious...

My High School Coach got me a signed Nike Play Diagram sheet from K at a clinic, and he did the all caps "Thanks for your genuine support! Go Duke" before signing his name.

dukemsu

kong123
05-20-2010, 11:48 AM
My High School Coach got me a signed Nike Play Diagram sheet from K at a clinic, and he did the all caps "Thanks for your genuine support! Go Duke" before signing his name.

dukemsu

congratulations, I am getting married on Oct 16th, the day after basketball practice starts. gonna be a fun weekend!

PADukeMom
05-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Congratulations & awesome gift!

When you get back from your honeymoon post a picture of the happy couple.

David
05-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Congratulations!

Now the big question is whether your new bride will let you hang this awesome poster in a prominent place... :D

Huh?
05-20-2010, 12:02 PM
So where in Austin do you live again? ;)

kingboozer
05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
that is seriously awesome!

dukeinal
05-20-2010, 12:41 PM
congratulations, I am getting married on Oct 16th, the day after basketball practice starts. gonna be a fun weekend!

Congrats to Big Pappa and for Kong123 a good omen, Oct 16th is my birthday and I have been happily married for 33 years, wish the same for all of you getting married..

G man
05-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Being married is great enjoy the wedding and your honeymoon!

weezie
05-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Congratulations, Largest of Pappas!

Wishing you and your lucky bride a lifetime of happiness!

CoBlueDevil
05-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Congratulations Big Poppa! I hope everything goes smoothly, and that the honeymoon is relaxing and reguvenating.

moonpie23
05-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Congrats man.....be safe out there!!!

Starter
05-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Congrats to all -- seeing that gift, I'm going to have get married! Oh yeah, and for companionship or whatever.

I have a signed picture of myself with Krzyzewski -- unfortunately, the picture was taken the day after they lost the national title in 1999. I don't know, we just kind of ended up in the same place that day and took the picture. So we both look pretty bittersweet, but knowing they won two years later, I can fully enjoy the picture.

cbnaylor
05-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Congrats man. Sending my best wishes and good luck.

Class of '94
05-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Congratulations Big Pappa. I hope you and your bride have a wonderful wedding, enjoyable honeymoon; and a very long and blessed marriage. My wife and celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary yesterday; and I can definitely speak from experience that marriage is great when you're spending your life with the right person.

yancem
05-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Congratulations on your big day! My advise is to take some time during the reception to sit back and take it all in. It will go by real fast and be quite a blur so take a moment to just watch your bride and families celebrating your wedding.

Dukefan4Life
05-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Aw man! You wont be around to disagree with my post anymore?? Just kidding man Congrats on tying the knot.

dukestheheat
05-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Congratulations! Let me ask you one very important question: Is she a Duke fan?

If she isn't, she is in for a tough life I think.

dth.

AZLA
05-20-2010, 04:14 PM
A hearty CONGRATULATIONS to you and your Bride. Enjoy the experience.

P.S., your Pops rocks!

Merlindevildog91
05-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Best wishes for your future, and MAN! what a present.

Newton_14
05-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Congrats Big Pappa. Awesome present. I have a Duke Basketball signed by K, and yes he signed it himself and like always wrote a personal note to me. That is just his style which is great.

Good luck tomorrow! I wish you and Mrs. Pappa many years of happiness and blessings. Just tell her the poster goes in the living room as the center of attraction!!;)

Big Pappa
05-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks so much for the support guys. The wedding is in a few hours so this will be my last post for about a week, but I wanted to answer a few questions:

1. Yes my wife-to-be is the greatest gift of all.
2. Yes she is a Duke fan
3. Number two being true makes saying number 1 much easier :D

hedevil
05-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Assuming that you're married now, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure that you love her, hold her, carress her, and tell her what she means to you everyday. Do all that you can to protect her no matter what it takes. But do keep in mind : It's just a poster! J/K:D

But in all seriousness, congrats Big Pappa. We all get caught up in the fun of Duke/sports and whatnot, but in the end it's these kinds of real life moments that make life so special. Marriage is a wonderful thing. Wish you and your bride the best.

chrishoke
05-21-2010, 10:23 PM
All the best big poppa and big mama.

-bdbd
05-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Congratulations Big Pappa!
Cool gift! I hope the ceremony/reception all go smoothly. But as I told my bride (who was a bit emotional) - when ours didn't all go perfectly - "at the end of the day we/you are gonna be married. All the rest is just noise." Have fun!! And enjoy the Honeymoon!

:D

OZZIE4DUKE
05-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Congratulations! Mazel tov!

ricks68
05-23-2010, 03:47 PM
A little late on this, but congrats from me, also. All the best. Hope to see you at a game next season.:D

ricks

dukedrummer
05-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Life is good!

Congrats Big Papa!!! Really enjoyed your posts. Maybe she will let you out and play some more when you get back from your honeymoon. :)

Go Duke!,
Duke Drummer