PDA

View Full Version : Where and when will Jon Scheyer get drafted?

Andy
05-20-2010, 09:05 AM
I have looked at a couple of mock drafts and he has been anywhere from mid second round to undrafted. I think he could be a solid role player in the NBA and I think that he would be a good player for any team to have because he plays so smart. It would be a mistake for no team to pick him up. Plus he is 6-5 and with some work could get pg down, and even if he doesn't his shooting abilities will work fine for him as a sg. Also he clearly knows how to win after four years at duke.

www.nbadraft.net/2010_mockdraft

www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2010/
This one didn't have Scheyer but it does have Zoubek going to the Pacers

www.mynbadraft.com/2010-NBA-Mock-Draft
Another one without Scheyer but with Zoubek at 51.

kingboozer
05-20-2010, 09:28 AM
I really hope Zoubs doesn't have to deal with Tyler Hansblow on the Pacers

kong123
05-20-2010, 09:47 AM
he will be united with his old friend Josh McRoberts on the bench.

UrinalCake
05-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Jay Bilas was on Bill Simmons' podcast yesterday and said he felt it might work in Scheyer's favor to go undrafted, so that he can choose which teams to try out for and look for a good situation for him. Kind of like what DeMarcus Nelson did, but hopefully he's be able to stay in the league longer.

IMO it is essential for him to land on the right team, because if he doesn't get an opportunity to show he can play then he will likely never make it in the NBA. Hopefully someone who recognizes his abilities will give him a shot!

ElSid
05-20-2010, 10:56 AM
I think going undrafted is his best option.

I have a feeling he'll make it on to a team. A friend of mine made a bet during Jon's sophomore year that he would make it to the league and score at least 500 points in his career. If he wins, he gets a trip to Paris with his family and a night out at a restaurant of his choosing. And when I say sophomore, I mean high school. Could be a long time before he collects his winnings, but this guy has a way of predicting the future correctly.

I know their games aren't all that similar, but you have to be encouraged by Redick's progression. Jon is deceptively good on defense and takes care of the ball and makes good decisions. I think he's a pretty good back up guard option for the right team.

airowe
05-20-2010, 11:12 AM
he will be united with his old friend Josh McRoberts on the bench.

He will relegate HansWhoa! To the bench if he can recover from his inner ear infection.

davekay1971
05-20-2010, 11:38 AM
He will relegate HansWhoa! To the bench if he can recover from his inner ear infection.

No worries about :eek: and that inner ear infection. We all know that :eek: fights inner ear infections with more intensity than anyone in the history of inner ear infections. His immune system brings it, relentlessly, EVERY...SINGLE...DAY!

DukieBoy
05-20-2010, 11:54 AM
I've seen a couple mock drafts that have Scheyer going to the Lakers with the 2nd to last pick. I think this would be a great situation for him

First, they Lakers run the triangle offense, so they do not a natural PG to create shots for others. They really need a smart player and a spot up shooter. The triangle system is a complex offense, but this fits everything Scheyer is good at. Look at Fisher and compare him to Scheyer. Great spot up shooters. Decent drivers. Not your typical PG. Known for hitting big shots.

Second, he would have a chance to prove himself. Fisher is getting old and Farmar and Shannon Brown are very, very inconsistent. Scheyer could come in and gain some minutes right away. And if the Lakers decide not to bring back any of those 3 players next year (Farmar, Fisher, and Brown will be FA), that's more playing time for Scheyer

Huh?
05-20-2010, 11:58 AM
I've seen a couple mock drafts that have Scheyer going to the Lakers with the 2nd to last pick. I think this would be a great situation for him

First, they Lakers run the triangle offense, so they do not a natural PG to create shots for others. They really need a smart player and a spot up shooter. The triangle system is a complex offense, but this fits everything Scheyer is good at. Look at Fisher and compare him to Scheyer. Great spot up shooters. Decent drivers. Not your typical PG. Known for hitting big shots.

Second, he would have a chance to prove himself. Fisher is getting old and Farmar and Shannon Brown are very, very inconsistent. Scheyer could come in and gain some minutes right away. And if the Lakers decide not to bring back any of those 3 players next year (Farmar, Fisher, and Brown will be FA), that's more playing time for Scheyer

I agree with this 100%. Phil Jackson typically likes taller guards so Jon may be what he is looking for....that is if Phil is still there.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
05-20-2010, 03:24 PM
http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/14379015690

"Two most surprising no shows Quincy Pondexter & Jon Scheyer. Scheyer has an excuse. He has mono per his agent."

CameronBornAndBred
05-20-2010, 03:37 PM

"Two most surprising no shows Quincy Pondexter & Jon Scheyer. Scheyer has an excuse. He has mono per his agent."
Thank you Jon, for waiting until after the season to get sick!

Dukefan4Life
I see jon being a late second round pick, but i can see the team that gets him will be very lucky! The kid is like having a coach on the floor! He has a very smart basketball IQ, can run the point,Very good outside shooter,good passer. I wouldnt mind seeing him with the Lakeshow if thats where he falls..

Billy Dat

Is it OK to say THANK GOD HE WAITED UNTIL MAY TO GET MONO?!?!?!?!?!

stillcrazie
05-20-2010, 04:16 PM

It's probably safe to say that if the Lakers got Scheyer, they would be the only NBA team with two Jewish players, both guards/point guards. To which I would say, Mazel tov! I hope they bring you lots of nachas (not to be confused with nachos, my friends)!

AZLA
05-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Is it me or is does the draft feel really lackluster this year in terms of players that will make a long-lasting impact on the NBA years to come? J. Wall will be good, but would anyone put his skills above current players like Rondo or D. Rose? Probably too early to tell but I doubt it.

That being said, it's good to see E-Will projected in the first round.

Lakers would be a great opportunity for Scheyer. Too bad about his illness.

"I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored." -Wayne Campbell

ElSid
05-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Is it me or is does the draft feel really lackluster this year in terms of players that will make a long-lasting impact on the NBA years to come? J. Wall will be good, but would anyone put his skills above current players like Rondo or D. Rose? Probably too early to tell but I doubt it.

That being said, it's good to see E-Will projected in the first round.

Lakers would be a great opportunity for Scheyer. Too bad about his illness.

"I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored." -Wayne Campbell

Yes, I would put his current play and potential about D. Rose.

CDu
05-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Well, to be fair, you're comparing him to two of the very best young players in the NBA at their positions. I'd say Rose and Rondo are on the very short list of great PGs in the league right now. So to discuss Wall in their category is pretty complimentary, if you ask me.

After the top 2-3, I think the "star-power" is debatable. But you just never know until you see these guys play.

DukieInBrasil
05-20-2010, 05:55 PM
I would love for Jon to get a shot in the Show, as I think he's the type of player that makes others better, while being pretty good himself. Battier is this type of player too and gets pooh-pahed for his lack of blazing athleticism etc, but he's considered a very valuable player, and not just in $$$. Jon may not be as good as Battier (he may be just as good though) but I think he'll play in the NBA.

hq2
05-20-2010, 09:33 PM
It's really hard to say if he'll make it or not. I think going undrafted will probably help him so he can choose his team and find one he can make. Remember, if he gets picked, it would be late in the 2nd round, which would put him on a good team, one he probably wouldn't make anyway. I think
he also needs to find the right coach who believes in him and will give him a shot.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
05-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Hollinger's ESPN statistical draft ratings came out today. Big Z and Scheyer faired pretty well.

toooskies
05-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Not all teams at the end of the draft have particularly good talent all the way to the end of the bench. Both the Lakers and Celtics have relatively thin benches.

superdave
05-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Hollinger's ESPN statistical draft ratings came out today. Big Z and Scheyer faired pretty well.

Saw this. Landesburg and Greivis did well too.

I think Scheyer will have to work out the sidespin issue on his shot to satisfy scouts, a la Tebow pre-NFL draft. Scouts will doubt the fact that he can regularly hit the NBA distance 3 ball as long as he has that sidespin.

G man
05-21-2010, 04:07 PM
This is the draft ranker not sure how the data works, because this is premium info wont say anything else about it except those that have access look at it.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-100521

Billy Dat
05-21-2010, 04:08 PM
There is buzz about Jon playing in Israel.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5207242/hayward-remembers-one-got-away
Duke's Jon Scheyer was supposed to be here but his agent told NBA Insider Chad Ford that he had mono. That's a crushing blow for Scheyer, who needed to be here to prove he can hang at this level. But Scheyer may get a deal in Israel that would match any money he would make here as a possible second-round pick.

miramar
05-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Thank you Jon, for waiting until after the season to get sick!

I think that's why he had two turnovers in the championship game. I can't think of any other explanation.

DevilHorns
05-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Saw this. Landesburg and Greivis did well too.

I think Scheyer will have to work out the sidespin issue on his shot to satisfy scouts, a la Tebow pre-NFL draft. Scouts will doubt the fact that he can regularly hit the NBA distance 3 ball as long as he has that sidespin.

I am a Miami Heat fan, and I can tell you that you don't need perfect spin to impress scouts.-> Look at Tim Hardaway. His shots had little to no spin and he was pretty deadly from 3 range.