PDA

View Full Version : Big PG recruiting news

JasonEvans
05-23-2007, 06:46 PM
UNC has gotten their successor to Ty Lawson. Larry Drew Jr. is going to Chapel Hill. His father was a heck of a player!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/la-spw-hsdrew24may24,0,3497856.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-highschool

Yesterday, Arizona picked up a real stud in Brandon Jennings, the kid who played point alongside a certain incoming Dukie this year at Oak Hill is likely one of the top 5 players in the 2008 class. As soon as he picked Arizona, Drew went for UNC.

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/184386

-Jason "Clark Francis says Jennings and Jared Bayless could be one of the best backcourts of all time at Arizona... hyperbole much?" Evans

jimsumner
05-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Recruiting gurus think Drew is a better prospect than Quentin Thomas but he is ranked well below Felton or Lawson. He's a good pick up but I don't think he's going to strike fear in opponent's hearts.

Bob Green
05-23-2007, 08:46 PM
UNC has gotten their successor to Ty Lawson. Larry Drew Jr. is going to Chapel Hill. His father was a heck of a player!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/la-spw-hsdrew24may24,0,3497856.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-highschool

Yesterday, Arizona picked up a real stud in Brandon Jennings, the kid who played point alongside a certain incoming Dukie this year at Oak Hill is likely one of the top 5 players in the 2008 class. As soon as he picked Arizona, Drew went for UNC.

-Jason "Clark Francis says Jennings and Jared Bayless could be one of the best backcourts of all time at Arizona... hyperbole much?" Evans

Who is Duke recruiting to eventually replace Greg Paulus? This is great news for UNC and Arizona, but I'm concerned about the future of the PG position at Duke. Any of you guys have any Intel?

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Clipsfan
05-23-2007, 09:14 PM

I thought Jennings had made a non-binding verbal commitment to USC. I guess he thought better of it. I watched some of the Oak Hill games, Jennings is quick and can make some SICK passes.

YmoBeThere
05-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Any of you guys have any Intel?

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Haven't really liked INTC, even though the new chips have put them back ahead of AMD.

PS Often times postings are made for the pleasure of 1 person, hahahahaha...

watzone
05-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Jennings to Arizona closed the deal for the Heels. This kid is a true smooth PG that has a great motor. I saw his game at the TOC and came away very impressed. IMO, he is better than the 40 something ranking. I don't see him as a huge dropoff from Felton other than his scoring. UNC under Williams will continue their good PG play.

CMS2478
05-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Jennings to Arizona closed the deal for the Heels. This kid is a true smooth PG that has a great motor. I saw his game at the TOC and came away very impressed. IMO, he is better than the 40 something ranking. I don't see him as a huge dropoff from Felton other than his scoring. UNC under Williams will continue their good PG play.

Are we going after any PG's in the near future or is Nolan Smith going to be the guy?

Bud
05-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Leslie McDonald in 09 will be are next pg prospect he is 6'4 and is from TN he is ranked in the top 10 in the 09 class I have seen a few vidoes of him he is going to be a good one.

Patrick Yates
05-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Drew has really stunk up the AAU circuit lately. Scout and Rival dropped him, big time. UNC was in on him, and offered for him long ago, and probably wish they had that offer back. Roy, like K, is a class act who would never rescind an offer, barring a first come first serve type situation. UNC is not involved with any other PGs, and they have to have one, but they are stuck.

Rivals said LD is more of an undersized scoring guard, with an awkward shot. Unlike the stout TL, LD is reed thin (the 150-160 range, ouch), and may not be able to take the pounding that comes with penetrating. He is short like TL, and quick (but not as quick), and he lacks TL's outstanding court vision. Personally, I do not see this as hurting UNC that much. earlier this year LD was a top 15 recruit and the clear no 2 PG in the class. Neither is still the case. In fact, based on what I have read, LD might be a backup to Frasor the entire time at UNC, and will be a prime candidate to be recruited over. Hoorah. LD announcing out of the blue like this reeks of grabbing onto the UNC offer while it still existed. Still, Congrats to UNC.

Patrick Yates

watzone
05-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Duke will be very involved with a 2009 kid starting this weekend. I will let you know who he is by Saturday or sooner. I hesitate to say this here, but I have to keep the name to my members for a day or two. Leslie McDonald is definately on the radar but will not partcipate in this weekends TOC which is a reebok event.

It is my understanding that the staff feels Nolan Smith can handle the PG position and spell Paulus until the heir is in place.

Bud
05-24-2007, 10:09 AM
That is great news Watzone, becouse I have herd McDonald is more of a combo guard but can play the point guard position. In the vidoes I have seen from him he is very quick and athletic with a very good looking shot. I would love to see Duke get him and another pure pg type player in 09.

Bud
05-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Also Watzone do you no any thing about Demarcus Cousins 6'9 PF from AL, rivals a while ago had Duke on his list but now they do not have Duke on his current list, do you no if Duke is recruitng this kid, becouse I have seen vidoes of this kid and he is good, reminds me of Brandon Wright. Also I no you can only tell so much but some other names I have herd Duke will be are allready have started recruiting are. Reeves Nelson 6'7 F from CA, Daniel Ortan 6'9 C from OK, and Stephan Van Treese 6'8 PF from IN.

Troublemaker
05-24-2007, 11:11 AM

Agreed. Larry Drew is very good, guys, so I would ignore what the rankings say. He's got elite level ball control and he's quick with a true PG IQ. Just look at the schools and coaches that were recruiting him, which includes Duke and Coach K.

jawk24
05-24-2007, 01:11 PM
I hate to give it to Roy but he’s getting after it and doing his job. He’s anticipating the loss of Lawson and has taken care of his pg needs for next year. If coach K would have done this in the case of Microburst we wouldn’t be in such a situation next year.

Highlander
05-24-2007, 02:21 PM
I hate to give it to Roy but he’s getting after it and doing his job. He’s anticipating the loss of Lawson and has taken care of his pg needs for next year. If coach K would have done this in the case of Microburst we wouldn’t be in such a situation next year.

I am pretty sure everyone at Duke knew that McRoberts was gone this year, so I think it's fair to say that it was anticipated by the coaching staff. Remember that McRoberts almost went pro last year.

As for addressing his needs ahead of time, what do you consider Lance Thomas, Greg Zoubeck, and Kyle Singler to be?

Patrick Yates
05-24-2007, 04:19 PM
I am pretty sure everyone at Duke knew that McRoberts was gone this year, so I think it's fair to say that it was anticipated by the coaching staff. Remember that McRoberts almost went pro last year.

As for addressing his needs ahead of time, what do you consider Lance Thomas, Greg Zoubeck, and Kyle Singler to be?

Agreed. With the above players in the system, a post player recruit would have to be wary.

Discounting Singler, who will be good, but is more of a 3-4 than a true post, Duke has great POTENTIAL in the post. Outside of Love, and probably DeAndre Jordan, no one in this year's HS class would be guaranteed to beat these guys out.

If, big if, LT and BZ really improve, a frosh might sit. Suppose, just suppose, that LT bulks up and is able to be a solid 4-5 next year. Same with BZ. Well, then Duke will be set.

In fact, it is not outside the realm of possibility that LT and BZ would both be ahead of even PP next year, if they really committ this summer. For all my doom and gloom (that way if I am surprised, it is a good surprise), we could be really good next year. If BZ really makes strides, and LT can really contribute, we have three guys who are legitimate 4-5 players, with a fourth in King for spot or emergency minutes behind them. We are good to great at other positions.

If you were a senior in HS next year, Duke was iffy as to the availibility of minutes in the post, especially once KS committed. Even though McBo(o)b (the SI.com mock draft doesn't list him in the first round) was a lock to go, the upcomming year was clouded in mystery.

Yes, the odds favor our current post options not being ready. But, if they are, well, they already know the system and the other players, so they have a leg up fron day 1. Much like UNC this year, the future was too murkey for a great (but not super like Love) player to be sure of his role at Duke.

Them's the breaks.

Patrick Yates

madscavenger
05-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Patrick, i don't even want a high school All American, if he is wary of competing for a starting position (or minutes) against a couple of guys who were not even starters for us last year (and still have to prove they can start). Wrong attitude for a guy that is going to have to be mentally tough if he plays here. This is not to say that PP fell into that category - just addressing your post.

kydevil
05-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Agreed, if a recruit doesn't want to compete for a starting position or minutes why want him? this means he cares little about the team or how they perform, but just about his individual stats and performance!

watzone
05-25-2007, 10:08 AM
That is great news Watzone, becouse I have herd McDonald is more of a combo guard but can play the point guard position. In the vidoes I have seen from him he is very quick and athletic with a very good looking shot. I would love to see Duke get him and another pure pg type player in 09.

The name is Kenny Boynton (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2007/5/24/2973709.html). He is listed as a SG, but so was Jason Williams. Much like Jason, the kid is strong and can score and has a personal drive to get better all the time.

Saratoga2
05-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Agreed. With the above players in the system, a post player recruit would have to be wary.

Discounting Singler, who will be good, but is more of a 3-4 than a true post, Duke has great POTENTIAL in the post. Outside of Love, and probably DeAndre Jordan, no one in this year's HS class would be guaranteed to beat these guys out.

If, big if, LT and BZ really improve, a frosh might sit. Suppose, just suppose, that LT bulks up and is able to be a solid 4-5 next year. Same with BZ. Well, then Duke will be set.

In fact, it is not outside the realm of possibility that LT and BZ would both be ahead of even PP next year, if they really committ this summer. For all my doom and gloom (that way if I am surprised, it is a good surprise), we could be really good next year. If BZ really makes strides, and LT can really
contribute, we have three guys who are legitimate 4-5 players, with a fourth in King for spot or emergency minutes behind them. We are good to great at other positions.

If you were a senior in HS next year, Duke was iffy as to the availibility of minutes in the post, especially once KS committed. Even though McBo(o)b (the SI.com mock draft doesn't list him in the first round) was a lock to go, the upcomming year was clouded in mystery.

Yes, the odds favor our current post options not being ready. But, if they are, well, they already know the system and the other players, so they have a leg up fron day 1. Much like UNC this year, the future was too murkey for a great (but not super like Love) player to be sure of his role at Duke.

Them's the breaks.

Patrick Yates

The spring and summer months are always a time of optimism for the fans. At the point Paulus can pass and score and should be fully recovered going into the season. He will still have some defensive weakness based on speed, but all in all we are loaded at the guard position.

Singler being a freshman is a little bit of an unknown. He is rated about as well as McRoberts was coming to the team. McRoberts contributed as a freshman but was not a dominant player. We shouldn't expect more of Singler than McRoberts was able to deliver. Still, other NCAA teams would love to have him so we have to be optimisitic about his play.

The inside play is a place where I have more problem being optimistic. We have Zoubek, who was not much of a factor as a freshman. He has the size to contest in the post but the rest of his game has to come a long way. LT had a very aggressive attitude which got him into foul trouble early and often. He was also pretty slim for playing in the post. His offensive game was also pretty limited last year. While we can expect improvements from both of the inside players, I have trouble being optimistic about them being in the elite ACC category. McClure is a cagey player and really will help, but he is only 6'6" and 205 pounds and has a very limited offensive game. King is another thought but would probably only used for limited relief of the other bigs inside.

So, I think it wise to temper the temper the natural optimism of this time of year with the realistic view of the team and it's prospects. Other teams have lost ground with the draft or graduation, so Duke will still be in the upper tier of the ACC. UNC still looks like the team to beat.

We need to get out there and get a top notch point guard to replace Paulus and a top notch inside man with power to bolster Zoubek and Thomas. Let's hope that at least coach K will get the big man in 2008.

kydevil
05-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Have we all ready been in contact with Boynton? If so have we came in to late, I saw were he all ready has offers from some big schools, Is he interested in us?
Does this mean that we are still going after McDonald or not?

jimsumner
05-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Yes. Boynton and Duke have a mutual interest.

watzone
05-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Yes. Boynton and Duke have a mutual interest.

Well, this was sad, but that's basketball. Boynton was carried off after inuring his ankle. The kid had a great attitude despite the injury slightly less than ten minutes into Team Breakdowns first game. There are some Elliot Williams notes up too. He very much enjoyed his visit to Duke.

He went down last evening (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2007/5/26/2976114.html)

Carlos
05-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Recruiting gurus think Drew is a better prospect than Quentin Thomas but he is ranked well below Felton or Lawson. He's a good pick up but I don't think he's going to strike fear in opponent's hearts.

So he's somewhere between Quentin Thomas and Felton/Lawson? That's a gap you could park the Queen Mary in.

Carlos
05-26-2007, 12:56 PM

I consider Lance Thomas to be a guy who can play the 4 but is not a guy who can give you a lot of minutes at the 5. He's 220 lbs. and at best I think he could top out to around 235 lbs. - and that's a stretch.

I consider Greg Zoubeck to be Brian Zoubek and I consider him to be the one guy on Duke's roster over 220 lbs. next year. I also consider him to be a guy who will take a little while to develop as we saw last year.

I consider Singler to be a tremendous player who is best suited to play the 4 spot in the Duke offense.

The reality here is that Duke is 5 fouls or a twisted ankle away from having absolutely no power players on the floor. That one guy who is a power player is someone who may or may not be ready for prime time next year. Addressing the need would have meant casting a wider net for power players this past season rather than just Patrick Patterson.

Duke really needed a post player this year and the philosophy was to pass on recruiting several good players in favor of focusing on landing a great player. With the makeup of Duke's current roster I don't believe they had the luxury of being that selective.

jimsumner
05-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Now, now Carlos. Some folks actually had Thomas ranked pretty high out of h.s., top 60 or 70 or somewhere in that neighborhood.

Carlos
05-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Jim - I was going through a list of the qualities a point guard would need to possess to be ranked ahead of QT.

I started with breathing and then added awake.

freedevil
05-26-2007, 01:57 PM
^ Post of the month.

SilkyJ
05-26-2007, 02:41 PM
I consider Lance Thomas to be a guy who can play the 4 but is not a guy who can give you a lot of minutes at the 5. He's 220 lbs. and at best I think he could top out to around 235 lbs. - and that's a stretch.

I consider Greg Zoubeck to be Brian Zoubek and I consider him to be the one guy on Duke's roster over 220 lbs. next year. I also consider him to be a guy who will take a little while to develop as we saw last year.

I consider Singler to be a tremendous player who is best suited to play the 4 spot in the Duke offense.

The reality here is that Duke is 5 fouls or a twisted ankle away from having absolutely no power players on the floor. That one guy who is a power player is someone who may or may not be ready for prime time next year. Addressing the need would have meant casting a wider net for power players this past season rather than just Patrick Patterson.

Duke really needed a post player this year and the philosophy was to pass on recruiting several good players in favor of focusing on landing a great player. With the makeup of Duke's current roster I don't believe they had the luxury of being that selective.

I agree completely. Even is ZB and LT BOTH erupt to be a big presence down low (and as you said, LT is not big enough to be a force at the 5) we have no depth there I discussed this in another thread, but all of our big men have always had someone behind them to give them a breather or step in if they get in foul trouble, or even step in for a few games if we have an injury.

Brand had burgess, boozer had casey sanders/the love machine, sheld had shavlik (and PJ in emergencies) and mcbob his senior year.

In defense of K, some people pointed out that we didn't "anticipate" what our needs would be re: McBob leaving. Don't forget that we did try to get Brandan Wright and PP...

^ Post of the month.

maybe the year...

kydevil
05-26-2007, 09:13 PM
For anyone out there, I've never seen Williams game besides his video on youtube(which he looked very flashy) but what his is game, a combo guard? shoot the 3? drive?
Information would be appreciated.

jimsumner
05-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Disagree about Thomas. Give him 10 pounds and an extra year's experience and I think he can be a competent ACC 5. Not great, not exemplary, not Brand or Boozer or Shel but as good as John Smith in '87 or Roshown McLeod in '97 (not '98). Thomas and Zoubek need to give Duke a decent 40 mpg, probably a little less, because Kyle will be some situational 5. Hold your own at that one position and win the games at the other 4.

I think that's a reasonable and achievable goal.

hondoheel
05-27-2007, 02:32 AM
Duke would have won several more games last year with QT at the point.

Bob Green
05-27-2007, 03:50 AM

I disagree. QT is a liability as he plays out of control. Greg Paulus is a much better Point Guard injured than QT is healthy. With Greg healthy, QT is completely outclassed.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

JasonEvans
05-27-2007, 08:24 AM

I 100% agree. If QT had been Carolina's PG then Duke would have had 2 more wins last year, for sure.

-Jason

yancem
05-27-2007, 12:11 PM
I 100% agree. If QT had been Carolina's PG then Duke would have had 2 more wins last year, for sure.

-Jason

Actually, I think that is the quote of the month!

freedevil
05-27-2007, 01:08 PM
hondo - you can brag up and down this board about UNC's recent PG success, such as talking about players like Felton and Lawson, and you can even comment about Paulus' struggles and most people won't be too upset with you, but please, remain rational while you do so. As good as UNC was last year, and will be next year, if there is one player on UNC's team that I would absolutely not want on Duke's roster, it would be QT. Take two advil and call us in the morning.

sandinmyshoes
05-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Quinten Thomas had a pretty decent assist to turnover ratio, with something like 47 assist to 21 turnovers. He wasn't nearly as out of control as he was in in his freshman and sophmore years. But he was evidently chained to the bench for a reason. Very, very poor shooting would be the prime suspect, along with Lawson and Frasor being ahead of him in the rotation.

hondoheel
05-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Many, if not most, fans on IC last year were dumbfounded at Roy's insistence on using Frasor and Miller ahead of QT. Frasor and Miller would come in and the opposing team would go on a 12-0 spurt. QT would come in, play better than any PG on Carolina's roster, then get banished to the bench for 2 games. You guys weren't watching last year if you think he was still playing like he did as a frosh.

Oh yeah, QT 47 to 21 assist to TO ratio.

Paulus 124 to 101.

That's not even very close, is it now?

Not to mention that Greg couldn't guard Rick Majerus.

freedevil
05-27-2007, 05:28 PM
^ That's a joke right? Let's finish out QT's stat line, shall we?

Games played: 27 of 38

Minutes per game: a tiring, and daunting 6.1

His all-impressive FG%: 31.3%

His 3-point %: 0% (Is that because he never made one or because he never took one? I didn't take the time to look. Either way, I'm still laughing at hondo)

And, the BEST, stat QT has: .5 points per game.

Compare Paulus to Lawson all you want. Don't come on here and compare your 3rd string PG, that is the whipping boy of IC from my experience over there, who racked up probably some 75-90% of his #s against poor teams or during mop-up time in wins against good ones, to Greg Paulus. It's like taking Jordan Davidson, a Duke walk-on guard, with a 100% FT percentage, and comparing it to Lawson's 68% FT percentage and saying, "Hah! Wouldn't you rather have Davidson???" Please, take the advil, please.

hondoheel
05-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Oh, I'll give you that Paulus is a better shooter and scorer.

Tell me though, why doesn't Paulus ever guard the opposing team's point guard?

freedevil
05-27-2007, 05:46 PM

Your original post, and all subsequent posts, minus one line about Paulus not being able to guard Rick Majerus, are about you saying Duke would be better had QT run the point. That is laughable. I am the first one to point out that Paulus is a defensive liability, but the thrust of all your posts, particularly the one about assist to turnover ratios, and how they aren't even close, is about offense, now isn't it?

My question to you is, if QT is so much better than Paulus, why couldn't he get minutes over a hobbled Frasor? I mean, his assist to turnover ratio is awesome, so maybe he can't guard anyone either. But we don't really know now do we, since QT only played 6 minutes a game, in only 70% of UNC's games.

hondoheel
05-27-2007, 05:56 PM
I wish I knew why he doesn't get more time. There were a few games last year when Lawson looked horrible, when QT came in and got things under control. Roy plays who he wants to though. Sometimes it looks like he's cutting off his own nose to spite his face. Look at the Georgetown game, QT made 2 beautiful assists to Deon Thompson late in the first half, then never sniffed the court after that. Lawson was meanwhile busy turning it over 5 (officially, though it seemed like twice that) times and shooting 2 for 9.

jimsumner
05-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Who knew bringing up Quentin Thomas would bring us to this? Ain't message boards fun?

Look, at the ACC level, QT is a nice back-up point guard. Anything else is a reach.

freedevil
05-27-2007, 08:00 PM
^ Agreed. But by back up, you mean 3rd string right? :D

kramerbr
05-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Talk of Duke's post players or lack there of, was brought up earlier in this thread. I think most people are forgetting that we lost Boateng and Boykins, both of which would log in some minutes down low. It usually takes a couple years to catch up after losing multiple transfers from a class.

kydevil
05-28-2007, 07:10 PM
I doubt Boykin's departure hurt us that bad, he was more of an energy player and with Dave back from his injury I doubt Boykin would have gotten many minutes.

jaimedun34
05-28-2007, 08:17 PM
If you say "switch Paulus and QT and Duke has 2 more wins last season", do you mean we'd have to take the whole QT, or could we just take Paulus's broken foot and trade it for QT's healthy one?

hondoheel
05-28-2007, 09:02 PM
^What good would it do for one of Paulus's feet to beat the rest of him downcourt by 3 to 4 seconds?

Heelo
05-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Regardless of whether duke would have won any games with QT that it lost with Paulus, duke with QT at the point would have lost some games that it won due to Paulus' much-needed offensive contributions.

Duke's problem last year was that they didn't have a reliable offense. QT would have done nothing to address that.

If Singler and King can offer consistent scoring without hindering the defense, duke should be much stronger next season.

freedevil
05-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Hondo. Have you forgotten to take that advil? QT's feet are firmly planted on benches around the country.

jawk24
05-29-2007, 01:51 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this was anticipated by the staff, then why didn't coach K recruit another post player other than Patterson. Talking about putting all your eggs in one baslet and another average season (tell me the logic in that).

jawk24
05-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Oh, I'll give you that Paulus is a better shooter and scorer.

Tell me though, why doesn't Paulus ever guard the opposing team's point guard?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is from an honest Duke fan, to answer your question he has trouble guarding athletic pg's.

jimsumner
05-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Everybody has trouble guarding athletic point guards.

Paulus also played last season with an injured foot.

sandinmyshoes
05-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Quintin Thomas is not nearly so bad as some have made him out to be. But there is a long gap between that and being better than Greg Paulus. Thomas is a better on the ball defender than Paulus, but he does seem easily rubbed off by screens. Paulus is not nearly so good on the ball, but seems grittier in fighting through screens.

Offensively, Paulus is a much better shooter and passer. Their handles are probably about equal. Paulus is a better finisher in traffic. Thomas is quicker in the open floor.

Thomas would probably have benefited by transferring if playing time is all that matters. But if education and even learning basketball matter, then what would have been the point, no pun intended. If he was good enough to be a professional, then he would get playing time at UNC.

Greg Paulus, still has plenty of time to overcome his injuries and re-establish why he was so high sought after, including by UNC.

whereinthehellami
05-29-2007, 04:06 PM
I don't think Qtip has any of the leadership qualities that Paulus brings to the table. Or any of the toughness either. Overall Qtip doesn't belong starting as a PG on an elite college basketball team.

kydevil
05-29-2007, 08:41 PM
There is no way a whole page of a DBR thread should be used debating Unc's third string point guard QT.
Hondo drop it he's third string for a reason, he's not a better pg than paulus.