PDA

View Full Version : It's out today: NCAA 2010 Championship DVD

cbnaylor
05-18-2010, 10:55 AM
I was just curious as to see if anybody was going to get this DVD. I thought it was bittersweet that I order it out of Kentucky! :)

Farn
05-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Mine came in the mail yesterday. I tossed it in quick just to see the extra features and discovered a few things...

1. The game opens about 10 seconds before tipoff. No pregame show.

2. It does include the full postgame presentation and such.

3. It does not include One Shining Moment (one can debate whether that's bad or good this year.)

4. The extra features only include tournament highlights set to crappy background music. Nothing more.

El_Diablo
05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Mine came in the mail yesterday. I tossed it in quick just to see the extra features and discovered a few things...

1. The game opens about 10 seconds before tipoff. No pregame show.

2. It does include the full postgame presentation and such.

3. It does not include One Shining Moment (one can debate whether that's bad or good this year.)

4. The extra features only include tournament highlights set to crappy background music. Nothing more.

It also includes the semifinal games, although I only watched the Duke-WVU one. They cut out all the stoppages and stalled possessions, so it moves pretty briskly...like 25-30 minutes or so. Much more than just a highlight show.

And it's been out for a while now.

cbnaylor
05-18-2010, 01:16 PM
It also includes the semifinal games, although I only watched the Duke-WVU one. They cut out all the stoppages and stalled possessions, so it moves pretty briskly...like 25-30 minutes or so. Much more than just a highlight show.

And it's been out for a while now.

You must have a different copy of some sort. Here's the link. This one doesn't include the WVU vs Duke game.

https://www.nmnathletics.com/sellnew/ViewItem.dbml?_IN_STORE_=YES&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ITMID=336579&ITMCATID=47404&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=4200&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

Osiagledknarf
05-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Good Goog stuff. Does anyone know if this will be in stores in non ACC Markets or will you have to order it online? I would love to pick this up

El_Diablo
05-18-2010, 01:33 PM
You must have a different copy of some sort. Here's the link. This one doesn't include the WVU vs Duke game.

https://www.nmnathletics.com/sellnew/ViewItem.dbml?_IN_STORE_=YES&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ITMID=336579&ITMCATID=47404&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=4200&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

Interesting. Here's the one I bought, directly from the NCAA:

http://www.ncaaondemand.com/clips/298266_xxx

Since they're the same price, I would recommend this one (since it also has the quick version of the Duke-WVU game as well). The DVD cover isn't shown in the link, but it's a hardwood background with the Final Four logo on it.

El_Diablo
05-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Interesting. Here's the one I bought, directly from the NCAA:

http://www.ncaaondemand.com/clips/298266_xxx

Since they're the same price, I would recommend this one (since it also has the quick version of the Duke-WVU game as well). The DVD cover isn't shown in the link, but it's a hardwood background with the Final Four logo on it.

Here's what mine looks like:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/collegefanfare_2102_174317944

cbnaylor
05-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Huh that is interesting. Is there any special features?

El_Diablo
05-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Huh that is interesting. Is there any special features?

-Full championship game.
-"Extended" highlights of the semifinals. Every scoring possession and possibly every non-scoring possession (it's hard to tell if they cut any out)...minus the 5-10 seconds it takes to get the ball up court and set the offense, and minus any stops--like for Butler's injury, you only see him go down, and then the ball is inbounded. It goes by pretty quickly compared to a real game, but it is definitely is more than just a highlight reel.
-Tournament highlights, which doesn't have the "One Shining Moment" song or Jennifer Hudson (maybe CBS owns the rights to it or something?)...but still has the exact same clips used in the OSM video. It's like they took OSM, edited out Hudson, and set it to some generic action music.

Huh?
05-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Is there a bundle of all the Duke championship games you can buy?

cbnaylor
05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
-Full championship game.
-"Extended" highlights of the semifinals. Every scoring possession and possibly every non-scoring possession (it's hard to tell if they cut any out)...minus the 5-10 seconds it takes to get the ball up court and set the offense, and minus any stops--like for Butler's injury, you only see him go down, and then the ball is inbounded. It goes by pretty quickly compared to a real game, but it is definitely is more than just a highlight reel.
-Tournament highlights, which doesn't have the "One Shining Moment" song or Jennifer Hudson (maybe CBS owns the rights to it or something?)...but still has the exact same clips used in the OSM video. It's like they took OSM, edited out Hudson, and set it to some generic action music.

Well that just doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't goduke.com carry that edition? Or better yet, why would you release another verison.

Philsfan
05-18-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm fairly certain. Got mine yesterday, had ordered it through goduke.com, and it has the complete title game as advertised.

The "special features" mentioned on that link are both national semi's action as described above, and the pseudo OSM. Same cover.

Highlander
06-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Anybody have a blu-ray version of the game?

brevity
06-29-2010, 09:10 AM

Good question. If it's available to watch live with CBS hi-def cameras, you would think there'd be a Blu-Ray transfer at some point.

I'm holding out for the 3-D version. Z's beard grows before your very eyes. And at the end the ball leaves Gordon Hayward's hands and lingers in your living room for a few seconds before returning to Indianapolis and hitting rim.

Stray Gator
06-29-2010, 09:27 AM

I still have the recording of the CBS game telecast in high-def saved on my DVR--as well as the telecast of the UNC at Duke game, the regional final game against Baylor, and the National Semifinal game against West Virginia. I'd really like to burn those to Blu-ray discs before my DVR dies or football season begins, but have been unable despite considerable online research to determine how to transfer a DVR recording onto a Blu-ray disc in high definition. I understand from a Gator acquaintance that it can be done using a Hauppauge HD-PVR and certain software (Nero 10, VideoRedo TVSuite). I'm willing to purchase the necessary equipment, but have read on more than one AV forum that DVR recordings cannot be transferred to recordable media in high-def. If anyone here can provide helpful information or advice, I'd appreciate it. Alternatively, if anyone finds a source selling Blu-ray DVDs of the games, please share the information.

dukee94
06-29-2010, 05:28 PM
I still have the recording of the CBS game telecast in high-def saved on my DVR--as well as the telecast of the UNC at Duke game, the regional final game against Baylor, and the National Semifinal game against West Virginia. I'd really like to burn those to Blu-ray discs before my DVR dies or football season begins, but have been unable despite considerable online research to determine how to transfer a DVR recording onto a Blu-ray disc in high definition. I understand from a Gator acquaintance that it can be done using a Hauppauge HD-PVR and certain software (Nero 10, VideoRedo TVSuite). I'm willing to purchase the necessary equipment, but have read on more than one AV forum that DVR recordings cannot be transferred to recordable media in high-def. If anyone here can provide helpful information or advice, I'd appreciate it. Alternatively, if anyone finds a source selling Blu-ray DVDs of the games, please share the information.

I have the Hauppauge HD-PVR and have used it to archive many HD games with Dolby 5.1 sound (including all of our NCAA games this year). You will basically connect the HD-PVR via component to your DVR and play the game in real time as the Hauppauge records it to a computer via USB in H.264 AVCHD. The default software that comes with the HD-PVR (Arcsoft Total Media Extreme) has editing capabilities and can burn the H.264 AVCHD format onto a standard DVD that will be played as a Blu-ray DVD, although I have not done that. I don't bother burning to a disc, I just store it on a computer and stream it to a tv via a PS3. I also use H.264TS_Cutter to edit out all the commercials.

Stray Gator
06-29-2010, 05:55 PM
I have the Hauppauge HD-PVR and have used it to archive many HD games with Dolby 5.1 sound (including all of our NCAA games this year). You will basically connect the HD-PVR via component to your DVR and play the game in real time as the Hauppauge records it to a computer via USB in H.264 AVCHD. The default software that comes with the HD-PVR (Arcsoft Total Media Extreme) has editing capabilities and can burn the H.264 AVCHD format onto a standard DVD that will be played as a Blu-ray DVD, although I have not done that. I don't bother burning to a disc, I just store it on a computer and stream it to a tv via a PS3. I also use H.264TS_Cutter to edit out all the commercials.

Thanks. It sounds like I'm going to need a bigger hard drive...and a Blu-ray burner.

dukee94
06-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks. It sounds like I'm going to need a bigger hard drive...and a Blu-ray burner.

You can choose the quality of the capture from 1 to 13 Mbps, I think I typically use 8Mbps and the quality is excellent. One hour of recording at that level usually ends up about 3.8GB. My archive of the NCAA final (minus commercials, including a lot of pre and post-game) is 7.2GbB. You don't need a Blu-ray burner, the H.264 AVCHD file format is Blu-ray and the software will burn a Blu-ray compatible disc onto a standard DVD (as long as you have enough space on the DVD). According to Hauppauge: it "can be used to burn Blu-ray compatible disk recordings. These files can be burned onto a standard DVD+R or DVD+RW disk for playback in a Blu-ray disk player using the included Arcsoft TME Disk Create application. Approximately 2 hours of HD TV recorded at 5Mbits/sec can be put onto a standard DVD+R or DVD+RW disk" (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html). So you can burn the Blu-ray compatible DVD in a standard burner, you just won't be able to watch it in a standard DVD player. Depending on the size of the file you'll probably need to use dual-layer DVDs. You can also transcode the H.264 AVCHD into MPEG2-TS and burn regular DVDs as well (which I have done).

I would definitely recommend lots of disk space and a good computer for the capturing/editing. I've had my HD-PVR for about 1.5 years and have archived off many hundreds of hours of recordings. Feel free to send me any questions and I'll help out as best I can. I am very happy to have had it for this basketball season.

WiJoe
06-29-2010, 11:40 PM
Folks, need some HELP. Are the contents on these DVDs the same, despite the different packaging?

Left is what Sports Illustrated is selling, right is product available from goduke.com.

Thanks.

El_Diablo
06-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Folks, need some HELP. Are the contents on these DVDs the same, despite the different packaging?

Left is what Sports Illustrated is selling, right is product available from goduke.com.

Thanks.

Don't know about those two, but here's the one I got:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/collegefanfare_2108_1032454273

Sorry for the repetition, but the image is gone from my previous post. Anyway, as I mentioned before, this one had the sped-up version of the semifinals. Based on the comments near the beginning of this thread, I'd be careful with those other two versions you mentioned (if you want to see the WVU game, at least).

1 24 90
06-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Has anyone actually received their hardcover book and DVD from Sports Illustrated yet? I recall a previous post saying there was a 30 day delay but it's approaching 3 months now.

DukeDevilDeb
06-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Don't know about those two, but here's the one I got:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/collegefanfare_2108_1032454273

Sorry for the repetition, but the image is gone from my previous post. Anyway, as I mentioned before, this one had the sped-up version of the semifinals. Based on the comments near the beginning of this thread, I'd be careful with those other two versions you mentioned (if you want to see the WVU game, at least).

I got this one as well, actually a long time ago at Costco. It does have the Duke-Butler game with no commercials (YAY!) and has highlights of the other two games.

What I'd really like is the good old-fashioned NCAA Championship video like they released in 1991 and 1992. The first one was called, "Duke is King."
The second called "Blue Reign." Jim Nance did the narration, and you got the whole story of the tournament.

Man, those were the days! :D

Stray Gator
06-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Has anyone actually received their hardcover book and DVD from Sports Illustrated yet? I recall a previous post saying there was a 30 day delay but it's approaching 3 months now.

Mine arrived separately--the book about 10 days ago, and the DVD last week.

bluedevil007
06-30-2010, 01:58 PM

I'm still waiting on mine. I received a postcard a few weeks ago requiring I call them to confirm I still wanted the items. If I didn't call the order would be cancelled. I called, confirmed, and wait...

NSDukeFan
06-30-2010, 10:17 PM

I have the hardcover book but haven't received the DVD yet. I think there is supposed to be a mini-ball come with it as well.