PDA

View Full Version : Durham Pro-Am Summer League At Central

Pages : [1] 2

Newton_14
05-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Any news yet on whether or not Stackhouse is holding his annual Pro-Am Summer League at Central this year? I have not seen anything yet, and was hoping someone had some insight.

With all the new guys it would be great if this happens again and a lot of our guys participate like normal. Would love to go see Kyrie in that environment just to see who attempted to guard him.

Also, if the league does happen, any of you guys interested in starting up a "DBR Fan Club":D and catching some of the games?

Use this thread to post any info on this league.

mattman91
05-17-2010, 09:52 PM
The fan club sounds like a great idea. I could make the 3 hour ride down to Durham to catch a few games. I think we just started it buddy lol

airowe
05-17-2010, 09:59 PM
It's gonna be happening again. All of the State recruits have already said they would be there.

I'm personally more excited about the TOC coming up in two weekends though.

Newton_14
05-17-2010, 09:59 PM
The fan club sounds like a great idea. I could make the 3 hour ride down to Durham to catch a few games. I think we just started it buddy lol

Sounds good. I am 25 minutes from Durham and Central is about 15 minutes from where I work. Would love to catch some games and meet fellow DBR's in person. Hopefully the league is on again.

Newton_14
05-17-2010, 10:01 PM
It's gonna be happening again. All of the State recruits have already said they would be there.

I'm personally more excited about the TOC coming up in two weekends though.

Thanks Airowe. Figured you would know. Congrats on the marriage gig. I wish you and momma Airowe well on that.

What is the location of the TOC?

SupaDave
05-18-2010, 09:20 AM
It is indeed going down this year...

You can find more info here...http://www.ncproam.com/

airowe
05-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks Airowe. Figured you would know. Congrats on the marriage gig. I wish you and momma Airowe well on that.

What is the location of the TOC?

Thanks Booze.

TOC is on the campuses of Duke, NCSU, and UNC-CH. Many Duke targets will be there. The list won't be made public until probably the week before the event, but I believe Austin, Quincy, Shabazz Muhammad, Alex Murphy, Michael Gbinije, Anthony Davis, and Tyler Adams have all stated they plan to be there.

I'm definitely going to be at the Pro-Am though and will do my writeups on players of interest again this year.

Greg_Newton
05-18-2010, 06:19 PM
I wish there was some way to stream these games online. I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks to watch Kyrie, Carrick and the Plumbrothers execute dunk shots on some fools during the dry season...

SupaDave
05-18-2010, 09:09 PM
I wish there was some way to stream these games online. I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks to watch Kyrie, Carrick and the Plumbrothers execute dunk shots on some fools during the dry season...

Good idea. I'll see if they would mind doing that. If someone here is willing to offer I'm sure they would let you assist.

billyj
05-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I can probably catch a few games. I will be moving to Durham late July. ;)

dball
05-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Looks like Team Navy will need a couple of recruits since the Wears shipped out.

PhillyDuke
05-19-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm waiting to hear reports about Curry lighting the ProAm up, because that's when we'll get a glimpse of what he brings to the table.

SilkyJ
05-19-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm waiting to hear reports about Curry lighting the ProAm up, because that's when we'll get a glimpse of what he brings to the table.

While I want to believe you are being sarcastic, I feel like you're being serious. And frankly, its about time someone saw Nick Horvath draining 3s blindfolded.

See: Appendix, Section D. There are rules, Donny.

http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf

Newton_14
05-19-2010, 09:52 PM
While I want to believe you are being sarcastic, I feel like you're being serious. And frankly, its about time someone saw Nick Horvath draining 3s blindfolded.

See: Appendix, Section D. There are rules, Donny.

http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf

But but but SilkyJ, Czyz tore that league up dude! Was like regular season MVP and winner of The Dunk contest. Against real NBA pro''s too! Summer league is where Legends are born, right?;)

airowe
06-11-2010, 01:06 PM
According to their website (a work in progress evidently) the league starts on July 1st and goes through August 8th.

I know Kyrie, Josh, and Tyler get in to Durham July 1, but not sure when they'll start playing...

I'll be on my honeymoon for the first week of July, but will definitely be over at the gym quite a bit after that.

http://www.ncproam.com/index.html

weezie
06-11-2010, 02:32 PM
The fan club sounds like a great idea. I could make the 3 hour ride down to Durham to catch a few games.

The 'Ham in July, sweet. Can we bring in those wonderful soccer horns and cowbells, too?

NSDukeFan
06-11-2010, 02:50 PM
According to their website (a work in progress evidently) the league starts on July 1st and goes through August 8th.

I know Kyrie, Josh, and Tyler get in to Durham July 1, but not sure when they'll start playing...

I'll be on my honeymoon for the first week of July, but will definitely be over at the gym quite a bit after that.

http://www.ncproam.com/index.html

Congrats, have a great honeymoon and now where do you expect me to get recruiting info that is not just regurgitation of dated scout reports? (Not that everyone does that, just a little joke, highlighting that I thank you for and respect your contributions.)

airowe
06-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Congrats, have a great honeymoon and now where do you expect me to get recruiting info that is not just regurgitation of dated scout reports? (Not that everyone does that, just a little joke, highlighting that I thank you for and respect your contributions.)

Thanks NSDukeFan. Most of my info is found easily on the interwebs. You just have to want to find it...

SilkyJ
06-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks NSDukeFan. Most of my info is found easily on the interwebs. You just have to want to find it...

That's what you want us to think ;):p

Greg_Newton
06-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Anyone heard any news on the schedule? Last time the website was somewhat-functional, it said the league started July "1nd".:rolleyes:

I'm going to be in town for a few days around the July 4th weekend and was hoping to catch some of our guys in action...

Greg_Newton
06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Anyone heard any news on the schedule? Last time the website was somewhat-functional, it said the league started July "1nd".:rolleyes:

I'm going to be in town for a few days around the July 4th weekend and was hoping to catch some of our guys in action...

Bumpity bump.

I'm only in town for this week and would really like to see some of our guys play Thursday, but I have no idea when to show up. Anybody heard anything?

stillcrazie
06-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Bumpity bump.

I'm only in town for this week and would really like to see some of our guys play Thursday, but I have no idea when to show up. Anybody heard anything?

Greg, the schedule says that July 1 is the first day of the tournament, but I didn't see any details about who is going to be on which team:

http://www.ncproam.com/news-events.html

This says that John Wall will be participating.

Newton_14
06-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Bumpity bump.

When do you head back? If there are games prior to the day you leave, I will be happy to ride over and catch a game with you. I will see if I can find out if there are any games this week and which teams/players are playing. I am anxious to see Kyrie play. He is supposed to be on a team once FIBA wraps up.

ChicagoCrazy84
06-29-2010, 01:17 AM
If I read it right, rosters will be announced tomorrow at 7pm EST. I'll be checking in then!

Indoor66
06-29-2010, 08:00 AM
If I read it right, rosters will be announced tomorrow at 7pm EST. I'll be checking in then!

Is that on ESPN1 or 2? :D

Dukie4Life
06-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Teams have been posted and so have the rosters!

Supposedly John Wall will be there this year, although I highly doubt that! Here are where the boys will be!

Team Hendricks; Kyle and Kyrie
Team D1 Sports; Casey
Team Dreamworks; Mason and Nolan
Team Jamison; Miles, Josh and Seth

The Pro Am starts July 1 and has been great the past two years I've gone!

watzone
06-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Some of the Duke guys will miss some time due to skills academies. It's a great opportunity to see the guys. My understanding is that some of the rosters will be tinkered with as well.

chadlee989
06-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Seems like Kelly should be playin with a team since he is already in town.

Newton_14
06-29-2010, 09:47 PM
The schedule is up. Below is the list of games for Thursday night. Rosters are available as well. I will check to see what players of interest are on tap Thursday and post that as well.

Thursday, July 1

6 pm McGladrey vs. Hendricks

7 pm D1 Sports vs. Stackhouse

8 pm Lucky 7 vs. Dreamworks

9 pm Coaches In Christ vs. Jamison

Team McGladrey POI
Tracy Smith (NC State)
Ryan Harrow (NC State)
Lorenzo Brown (NC State)
CJ Leslie (NC State

Hendrick Of Durham
Kyrie Irving (Duke)
Kyle Singler (Duke)

D1 Sports & Charles Ryan
KC Petters (Duke)
Quincy Miller
John Wall (Washington)

Team Stackhouse/Tobacco Road Sports Cafe
Reggie Bullock (UNC)
Harrison Barnes (UNC)
Dexter Strickland (UNC)
John Hinson (UNC)

Newton_14
06-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Dreamworks
Mason Plumlee (Duke)
Nolan Smith (Duke)

Coaches In Christ
Tyler Zeller (UNC)
Will Graves (UNC)
Marcus Ginyard

Team Navy
Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City)
Tyler Thorton (Duke)
Andrew Dawkins (Duke)
Ryan Kelly (Duke)

Note: Big thanks to Watzone. He provided roster info in a pm that looks to have more names than the actual website. I am comparing to see if he has names of Duke players that the website does not. Will post that if there are more.

_TheFakeJWill_
06-30-2010, 12:16 AM
so this might be a noob question but is there anyway to view these either on TV or online? i would guess prob not.

ChicagoCrazy84
06-30-2010, 12:45 AM
So it looked to me that everyone was accounted for, with the excpetion of Todd Zafirovski and Steve Johnson. Correct?

MulletMan
06-30-2010, 08:58 AM
so this might be a noob question but is there anyway to view these either on TV or online? i would guess prob not.

No, but the games are free and relatively poorly attended until the tournament. Its a good way to kill an evening if you can make it.

Just remember, just because a guy is on a roster doesn't mean that he'll be playing at all. (See: Wall, John, and Durant, Kevin)

ThePublisher
06-30-2010, 12:28 PM
I find it hard to believe that Irving and Hairston will be playing tomorrow. As they are playing in the FIBA U18 finals tonight.
Speaking of that Austin Rivers put up 9 3's in a row last night and set the record for most points scored in a U18 game at 35. Man I hope he commits to Duke, guy is insanely good. The U18 is fun b/c its Irving, Rivers, Quincy Miller and Hairston on the floor at the same time. But I digress.

A state friend of mine and I will be heading to Durham to watch the games tomorrow night. I'll be in a duke shirt, or my 'order has been restored' shirt. I'll check on here to see who else is there. It would be great to meet some of you guys.

I highly doubt Irving, Hairston will be playing after playing in Texas tonight and for the past few nights. But it would be awesome to see Curry play as I can't barely find a highlight of him playing that isn't over a year old from Liberty.

Greg_Newton
07-01-2010, 05:42 PM
When do you head back? If there are games prior to the day you leave, I will be happy to ride over and catch a game with you. I will see if I can find out if there are any games this week and which teams/players are playing. I am anxious to see Kyrie play. He is supposed to be on a team once FIBA wraps up.

Sorry Booz, just saw this. I'm about to meet my pops over there now... sure hope some of the guys actually show up tonight! I'll be the 6'3 mid-20's guy in a gray shirt/red gym shorts and sandals if anyone wants to say hey.

ThePublisher
07-02-2010, 02:37 AM
I am very disappointed that not 1 Duke player made a showing at the pro am tonight. I drove about an hour to Durham to see the games.
Hopefully some better info can be provided by someone in the know about when the Duke guys will actually be there. John Wall made an appearance, but didn't play. He stayed for the first two games and left after unc played.

Some thoughts:
UNC: John Henson is still as scraggly as last year. He was blocking everything that went up, but they were playing against a team full of nobody's. Barnes looked good, very good. He can create a shot whenever he wants. His pull up 3 is deadly. And Bullock can shoot, well when no one is there guarding him, he missed when he was guarded.

Quincy Miller made it, even after being in San Antonio last night. He looked good. Very athletic. Obviously needs to be polished, but has great raw skill.
Duece Bello is quite talented and entertaining to watch.
Rodney Purvis is amazing to be 16. He can seriously fly.

State: Tracy Smith was constantly relying on a turn around jumper which he rarely hit. Leslie has good handles for a guy that size and has freakishly long arms (not henson freak but close). He is a serious athlete and is going to be a tough guard for any team in the ACC. If he keeps shooting free throws like he did tonight, there will be a hack-a-leslie option for teams that are close with state at the end of the game. From my count, he went 2 for 8.

DUKE GUYS PLEASE COME TO THE PRO-AM!

watzone
07-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Day one at the NC Pro Am - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/07/quincy-miller-highlights-opening-night-of-the-nc-pro-am-for-duke-fans/

MarkD83
07-02-2010, 03:57 PM
At the start of last season, Nolan had to sit out 2 games for playing in "unsanctioned" summer games. Are these Pro-Am games sanctioned? Could it be that the Duke players are staying away until they here that it is OK to play in them?

Kedsy
07-02-2010, 04:57 PM
At the start of last season, Nolan had to sit out 2 games for playing in "unsanctioned" summer games. Are these Pro-Am games sanctioned? Could it be that the Duke players are staying away until they here that it is OK to play in them?

They all played in them last year. And the year before. Not to mention the UNC guys all played, plus some high school kids. It's hard to imagine there's a sanctioning issue.

ChicagoCrazy84
07-02-2010, 06:09 PM

I am hesitant to call that a stupid question because it's not very nice and I don't really know what constitutes a sanctioned event and a non-sanctioned event, BUT with that said, the whole UNC team, a good amount of NC State's team and small local college players are playing and not to mention more than a few current high school players are playing in this event. Also, we have always had current players play in this traditional summer event.

MarkD83
07-02-2010, 06:54 PM
I guess I have a more specific question.

Are college players allowed to only play in a specific number of summer games? If this is the case perhaps the coaching staff told them to sit out a few of these games. Players from other schools may have already gotten clearance from coaches/compliance officers that they are ok to play.

ThePublisher
07-02-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm sure they are allowed to play as they are listed on the roster. No way Coach is going to allow them to play in unsanctioned games that are located IN Durham.

According to the blue devil nation article the Duke guys were away because of both Nike skills camps and the break at school. Everyone went home for the 4th, which is understandable. Guess I'll be driving back out there next week.

LETS GO DUKE! I hope they can all get on 1 team, or at least most of them like the state and crapel hill guys are.

Newton_14
07-02-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm sure they are allowed to play as they are listed on the roster. No way Coach is going to allow them to play in unsanctioned games that are located IN Durham.

According to the blue devil nation article the Duke guys were away because of both Nike skills camps and the break at school. Everyone went home for the 4th, which is understandable. Guess I'll be driving back out there next week.

LETS GO DUKE! I hope they can all get on 1 team, or at least most of them like the state and crapel hill guys are.

Just bear in mind that on any given night, the Duke guys may or may not be at that particular game. Especially once the tournament starts. But on most nights once they get a couple of games into the schedule the Duke guys on the roster will be there.

Kyle has played a lot of games in the past. Nolan won't be seen much. Last year Jon and Mason played on the same team and were there for most all of the regular season games. It all depends on each individual's personal schedule.

It is a fully sanctioned league and the college guys can play in as many games as they choose. They could play every single regular season game and tourney game if they chose to.

Nolan's mistake last year was playing in a game with NBA players on the teams, with a referee and official scoreboard/clock. That made it an official game that required sanctioning and I believe written approval to play in. Nolan did not check into either and played anyway. Turned out to be an unsanctioned event so he was toast.

riverside6
07-06-2010, 10:36 PM
For those who aren't following Nolan Smith and Seth Curry on Twitter, both told me today that they would likely be playing at the pro-am on Thursday night.

PhillyDuke
07-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Dawkins, Thornton, and Kelly played Tues. night. Anyone know how they did?

MisterRoddy
07-07-2010, 01:40 AM
Dawkins, Thornton, and Kelly played Tues. night. Anyone know how they did?

Quote from Twitter.

BlueDevilNation: It's been a long day. Their. Dukies team lost more on that coming, most of them got minimal burn, again more later. RK 10, AD 10, TT 8
about 4 hours ago

watzone
07-07-2010, 12:41 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/07/n-c-pro-am-thornton-is-efficient-in-his-short-stint/

Devils play sparingly.

Class of '94
07-07-2010, 12:57 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/07/n-c-pro-am-thornton-is-efficient-in-his-short-stint/

Devils play sparingly.

Not trying to spread any conspiracy theories, but I find it strange that the Duke players are spread out; yet the UNC players are all together and the State freshmen are together. What's up with that??? The Raleigh News and Observer paper did a write-up talking about Barnes and UNC contingent with a brief mention of the show down the Tar Heel team will have the NC state freshmen team; yet nothing about the Duke players who played last night.

While I'm sure it wasn't intended to be this way, it seems like the this year's Pro-Am tournament is skewed towards highlighting the UNC contingent while trying to minimize any impact or focus on the Blue Devil players. Maybe it will change when Nolan, Kyle and Kyrie start playing next week; but it still doesn't change the fact that they put all the Heels on one team and didn't do the same for the Dukies or NC State players.

What do you guys think?

PhillyDuke
07-07-2010, 01:35 PM
I say that the Duke players are going to have to go in and "brodie" (i.e. takeover) the league, and show them who we are!!!!!

DukeBlueNV
07-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Not trying to spread any conspiracy theories, but I find it strange that the Duke players are spread out; yet the UNC players are all together and the State freshmen are together. What's up with that??? The Raleigh News and Observer paper did a write-up talking about Barnes and UNC contingent with a brief mention of the show down the Tar Heel team will have the NC state freshmen team; yet nothing about the Duke players who played last night.

While I'm sure it wasn't intended to be this way, it seems like the this year's Pro-Am tournament is skewed towards highlighting the UNC contingent while trying to minimize any impact or focus on the Blue Devil players. Maybe it will change when Nolan, Kyle and Kyrie start playing next week; but it still doesn't change the fact that they put all the Heels on one team and didn't do the same for the Dukies or NC State players.

What do you guys think?

They may think it's a little unfair to put the all them members of the number one team in the country on the same team seeing how they would wreak every other team there... just a guess....

Class of '94
07-07-2010, 03:05 PM
They may think it's a little unfair to put the all them members of the number one team in the country on the same team seeing how they would wreak every other team there... just a guess....

I was thinking that too :); but I guess you can't expect things to be different when the league is founded and operated by a Heel; and who happens to have "all" the Heels on his team.

ACCBBallFan
07-07-2010, 03:10 PM

What do you guys think?

Not sure how accurate it is but I read recently a post that claimed coach K wanted his guys spread out and not all on one team. If true, probably not an accident that Kyrie is on Kyle's team and Mason on Nolan's to team with their senior captains, then the others in bunches of three except for Casey Peters who apparently is nursing a sore knee.

So when they all start playing Seth Curry, Josh Thornton and Miles together as was case last night with Ryan Kelly, Tyler Thornton and Andre Dawkins. One of these guys would be a starter with the other 4, and who else starts may vary while the subs get used to teaming together.

BlueThru&Thru
07-07-2010, 04:48 PM

What do you guys think?

Don't think it really matters what teams they play on. They are what they are come next season. Hard to imagine that the Heels will get an early advantage for next season in this venue.

Bob Green
07-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Hard to imagine that the Heels will get an early advantage for next season in this venue.

I find it hard to imagine the Heels getting an early advantage for next season in any venue. :D

stickdog
07-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Not trying to spread any conspiracy theories, but I find it strange that the Duke players are spread out; yet the UNC players are all together and the State freshmen are together. What's up with that???

It's a stacked house.

mattman91
07-07-2010, 06:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46DaSrpF428

nice video of tyler andre and ryan from the pro am. May want to mute this one if you dont like the "F" word.

SilkyJ
07-07-2010, 07:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46DaSrpF428

nice video of tyler andre and ryan from the pro am. May want to mute this one if you dont like the "F" word.

Good stuff! Ryan really does look much thicker and still looked like he had some bounce in his step.

chadlee989
07-07-2010, 08:10 PM
It's a stacked house.

Kinda like a Jerry Stackhouse

Daniel tosh
07-07-2010, 08:31 PM
I know its against lesser competition,and its a highlight reel but Ryan looks like a totally different player.Andre and Tyler looked great also.This year is gonna be so much fun!

mgtr
07-07-2010, 09:09 PM
I know its against lesser competition,and its a highlight reel but Ryan looks like a totally different player.Andre and Tyler looked great also.This year is gonna be so much fun!

Of course we expect Andre to perform this year, and we hope that Tyler and the other newbies (especially Kyrie) to do well and make a real contirbution. But I think that it is imperative that Ryan does. We need some backup size inside.

Daniel tosh
07-07-2010, 09:19 PM
I guess i was just suprised to see Ryan leading breaks,with behind the back dribbles,and alley oops,since we didnt get much of a chance to see him showcase his talent last year.In that video did he remind anyone of McBob?Too me their games are similar Ryan may be less athletic though.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Of course we expect Andre to perform this year, and we hope that Tyler and the other newbies (especially Kyrie) to do well and make a real contirbution. But I think that it is imperative that Ryan does. We need some backup size inside.

any pics of the "new" Ryan???

SupaDave
07-07-2010, 11:08 PM
I was in the house last night. Ryan looked decent and even had back to back dunks. Unfortunately he has someone in his team that Thinks he's a superstar and the team struggled when Ryan wasn't running the show - which he did a lot of. Ryan definitely benefits from knowing his teammates. He does things based on feel.

I also got a close up look at the UNC boys. I'll hold off on judgement.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-07-2010, 11:51 PM
I was in the house last night. Ryan looked decent and even had back to back dunks. Unfortunately he has someone in his team that Thinks he's a superstar and the team struggled when Ryan wasn't running the show - which he did a lot of. Ryan definitely benefits from knowing his teammates. He does things based on feel.

I also got a close up look at the UNC boys. I'll hold off on judgement.

no please dont "thought we were in the trust tree in the next... are we not" Old School quote of the day

What was ur take on the UNC players and our I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ies???

juise
07-08-2010, 01:12 AM
What was ur take on the UNC players and our I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ies???

For shame. :p We don't spell "Dukies" like that in these parts. :mad:;)

ThePublisher
07-08-2010, 03:30 AM
Any updates on when the majority of the Duke guys will be playing. I'm on the other side of Greensboro and don't really want to make the 1hr drive back out there to not see anyone play, like I did for opening night.

Anyone know anything?

dukelifer
07-08-2010, 08:33 AM
I guess i was just suprised to see Ryan leading breaks,with behind the back dribbles,and alley oops,since we didnt get much of a chance to see him showcase his talent last year.In that video did he remind anyone of McBob?Too me their games are similar Ryan may be less athletic though.

He looked like he did in high school. Ryan is a kid who just needs confidence and needs to learn to play on the big stage. He will get there and when he does- he will be a very good player for Duke. Ryan may be less athletic than McBob but he shoots much, much better.

roywhite
07-08-2010, 09:30 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/07/07/568746/barnes-makes-a-bold-statement.html

Story in the N&O about early action in the summer league.

Most notable is this bit of information.

DURHAM -- Harrison Barnes' shirt said it all.

The North Carolina super freshman entered N.C. Central's McLendon-McDougald Gym with a black Nike shirt reading, "I'm that dude."

Ugh.

Big Pappa
07-08-2010, 09:40 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/07/07/568746/barnes-makes-a-bold-statement.html

"Team Stackhouse will take the floor again Tuesday when it faces Team McGladrey in a pseudo-showdown between the Tar Heels and Wolfpack. Team McGladrey has N.C. State's Tracy Smith, Ryan Harrow, Lorenzo Brown
and C.J. Leslie on its roster."

I really wish I could see this game live.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Ryan looks like Masons build from last year. I've always thought he should have played more last year. He looks more confident out there in the Pro Am. Cant wait for more vids

Devilsfan
07-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Like the old Johnny Carson skit of the magician answering the question before it's asked. Answer: "I'm that dude. Question: Who's is the third best freshman basketball player coming to the Triangle behind Kyrie Irving and C. J. Leslie?

buzz
07-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Ryan Kelly pic:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/07/n-c-pro-am-thornton-is-efficient-in-his-short-stint/sub_6606/

SupaDave
07-08-2010, 03:38 PM
"Team Stackhouse will take the floor again Tuesday when it faces Team McGladrey in a pseudo-showdown between the Tar Heels and Wolfpack. Team McGladrey has N.C. State's Tracy Smith, Ryan Harrow, Lorenzo Brown
and C.J. Leslie on its roster."

I really wish I could see this game live.

I'm gonna try and be in the house. I'll see about a write-up. One thing to note - I've never seen so many NC State fans in my life (and I've got two engineering cousins from there my same age). At NCCU of all places. I was waiting on Valvano to come in. Needless to say, the triangle seems to have re-formed.

Back to Ryan, one thing I noticed is that he HAS added some bulk. It will be good for banging but honestly I think he will need to slim down to be the player he can and will be. Think Kyle Singler when I say this - and no - I'm not playing. Ryan is capable of some amazing things with the right teammates.

The UNC team? Well if you actually read the review of the game - a group of nobodies took them to overtime. Yeah HB scored a lot of points but the crazy thing is that I SWEAR that I saw none of them. It's so strange to me how he scores. It's SO dang quiet and I was sitting with the players. He might have a crazy ego but it's so quiet in it's demeanor that I'm not sure how to take the kid. You don't know he killed you until you're dead. (Remember I said that...)

Bullock? I'm pretty sure we'll be able to defend the kid. Marshall. Ditto. Watts. Ditto. Henson. Ditto. Anybody else? Ditto.

More later - gotta pick up the baby bro for his basketball fix...

amazinballer323
07-08-2010, 05:22 PM
If Kelly plays like that start him over the Plumlees!

Bob Green
07-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Back to Ryan, one thing I noticed is that he HAS added some bulk. It will be good for banging but honestly I think he will need to slim down to be the player he can and will be. Think Kyle Singler when I say this - and no - I'm not playing. Ryan is capable of some amazing things with the right teammates.

How does Ryan's foot speed look? I saw some youtube video from the NC Pro-Am action on Tuesday and he still looked a bit slow to me. I'm referring to his lateral quickness more so than his ability to get up and down the court.

SupaDave
07-08-2010, 05:31 PM
If Kelly plays like that start him over the Plumlees!

Ha - well the Plumless bring some things that he can't right now and most notably is a post presence. Ryan can play down there but his skills say he play the three or the four.

We will reap the benefits of Ryan next year most likely. BUT his style will fit with Kyrie as well. I just think that body needs a little more development and then whoa...

DukeBlueNV
07-08-2010, 05:34 PM
nolan said he is playing tonight...

from nolan's twitter:

Headed to Central to play a little basketball! :)

Cockabeau
07-08-2010, 06:20 PM

No.Ryan has a jumpshot. Big difference.

SupaDave
07-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Andre got here late but Ryan has been awesome tonight. More later...

_TheFakeJWill_
07-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Andre got here late but Ryan has been awesome tonight. More later...

sweet thanks for the update!

SupaDave
07-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Miles and Seth's game has been much tougher. Expect to see a lot o alley-oops next year by the way. Seth Is a steal monster and a master of the reverse lay-up.

It appears that Mason is playing next game but we gotta go get food.

Newton_14
07-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Miles and Seth's game has been much tougher. Expect to see a lot o alley-oops next year by the way. Seth Is a steal monster and a master of the reverse lay-up.

It appears that Mason is playing next game but we gotta go get food.

Thanks for the updates Supa. I plan on being there next Thursday. I am hoping Kyrie makes his debut next week. So how good is Miles looking out there tonight? Does he look like he has bulked up any?

_TheFakeJWill_
07-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the updates Supa. I plan on being there next Thursday. I am hoping Kyrie makes his debut next week. So how good is Miles looking out there tonight? Does he look like he has bulked up any?

pics pics pics pics pics :D

DukeBlueNV
07-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Ryan Kelly had 32 points tonight... :)

http://twitter.com/BlueDevilNation

EDIT:
Just saw some highlights fed in to the station... (i work at a local tv station) Seth Curry looked great! Didnt see any shots of him hitting threes, which we all know he can do but some sick drives with one REALLY NICE finish...

_TheFakeJWill_
07-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Ryan Kelly had 32 points tonight... :)

http://twitter.com/BlueDevilNation

EDIT:
Just saw some highlights fed in to the station... (i work at a local tv station) Seth Curry looked great! Didnt see any shots of him hitting threes, which we all know he can do but some sick drives with one REALLY NICE finish...

ddaaaammmnnnnn Ryan congrats!

kyriecrazy2013
07-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Ryan did play well. A lot of Zoubek type offensive boards and putbacks but way way more dunks and alley-oops. Nailed 3+ 3s also. Seth is very quick and has fast hands. Wasn't shooting great and forced some shots but nailed some jumpers and had some great strong finishes. Miles played ok... good defense but got blocked 2-3 times and wasn't a huge factor on the offensive glass or on offense at all. Andre played and kept jacking up 3s and only hit 1-2.

Talked with Mason and Nolan, Nolan seems very focused and very in shape but is still friendly and funny. Mason seems very relaxed and seems to be in shape. Miles looks JACKED.

SupaDave
07-08-2010, 11:32 PM
FYI - I talked to my boy D - who actually coached Miles/Seth's team today, and he let me know that Tuesday is THE day. Yep - it's the day the UNC boys get a little taste of some Dukies. Not sure who exactly b/c I talked to him at half-time but he let me know that I should be in the house. Why should this matter to you? Well, he's also the organizer of the event and Stackhouse's best friend - his word means a little something.

Oh yeah, about that whole live streaming thing - we talked about that too and b/c of the nature of the college atheletes it's no way they could do that - lots of rules man - lots of rules.

Oh and my update?

NC State's Scott Wood and Johnny Thompson had good showings. Thompson is expected to do some things this year at the three and he hit quite a few threes. Did I mention that he's also a DUNKAHOLIC? Please youtube Johnny Thompson - you won't be disappointed. Sidney Lowe has some surprises for the ACC. The kid Wood hit some shots as well but overall he's a bench player - plainly stated.

Crazy shout outs to NC A&Ts and NCCU's guards. They showed a lot of game and I suspect the level of play throughout the Triangle/Triad is cresting in way that I haven't seen in a while.

I'm not even joking about this but be on the lookout for NCCU who got a guard to transfer from UNC-G, that will actually have to sit out a year, before he can play - and he CAN play.

My Aggies have a shooting guard that's lights out. If he plays like this during the year I expect the Aggies to return to the NCAAs.

Oh and about Seth - the kid plays defense. He doesn't care - he's in the mix. His shot was a bit off from three and admittedly - he shot a few 30 footers but I don't care, he attacks the basket like no other. THAT is something just a little more aggresive than his brother.

Miles, yeah he's gotten bigger since I saw him Memorial Day. Quite frankly, he's entering BEAST category. The older guys around me looked at me and said, "he's going pro isn't he?", and I said "yes, he is."

Miles runs well and he looks good. He stills needs to work on his post defense but then again these games aren't called like well... any game. So in saying that he was able to grab LOTS of rebounds. No problem there. If he could get his hands close to it - it was his. This is not the Miles that we got freshmen year for sure. He runs the court beautifully. He LOOKS like an NBA player out there.

Oh and I just looked and saw that Ryan scored 32 points. Yeah - that sounds about right. He put on a clinic of sorts tonight. While most of his threes were wide open - the fact of the matter is that he knocked down at least 4 that I saw. He was killing it. Gosh, he might have had about 8 dunks with 3 or 4 of them being alley-oops. He made me say "gosh". Seriously. Cause I want to say something else. He made my little brother get interested in the game which is saying something.

Guys, please feel free to come out. We welcome you. It's free to the public and so is the parking. These guys have worked hard at giving the community some good quality entertainment. Come out and enjoy the best of what is not only Triangle/Triad basketball but also ALL of basketball.

I enjoyed myself today and will try to be in the house on Tuesday. You can look for me on the court.

Peace!

airowe
07-09-2010, 01:09 AM
Heard Nolan dropped 34 tonight. Will be in the house on Tuesday!

Good to be back...

MisterRoddy
07-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Oh and about Seth - the kid plays defense. He doesn't care - he's in the mix. His shot was a bit off from three and admittedly - he shot a few 30 footers but I don't care, he attacks the basket like no other. THAT is something just a little more aggresive than his brother.

Miles, yeah he's gotten bigger since I saw him Memorial Day. Quite frankly, he's entering BEAST category. The older guys around me looked at me and said, "he's going pro isn't he?", and I said "yes, he is."

Miles runs well and he looks good. He stills needs to work on his post defense but then again these games aren't called like well... any game. So in saying that he was able to grab LOTS of rebounds. No problem there. If he could get his hands close to it - it was his. This is not the Miles that we got freshmen year for sure. He runs the court beautifully. He LOOKS like an NBA player out there.

Oh and I just looked and saw that Ryan scored 32 points. Yeah - that sounds about right. He put on a clinic of sorts tonight. While most of his threes were wide open - the fact of the matter is that he knocked down at least 4 that I saw. He was killing it. Gosh, he might have had about 8 dunks with 3 or 4 of them being alley-oops. He made me say "gosh". Seriously. Cause I want to say something else. He made my little brother get interested in the game which is saying something.

Guys, please feel free to come out. We welcome you. It's free to the public and so is the parking. These guys have worked hard at giving the community some good quality entertainment. Come out and enjoy the best of what is not only Triangle/Triad basketball but also ALL of basketball.

I enjoyed myself today and will try to be in the house on Tuesday. You can look for me on the court.

Peace!

Thanks for the updates, our front court will look to be much better than people expect (especially if Ryan Kelly breaks out, which, from your updates, looks like a real possibility. Miles, it seems, is very dedicated to working hard and I applaud him for his improvement over the past 2 years, he should be very fun to watch next year and Im sure The Plumlee Bros. will be one of the most feared starting front courts in the ACC.

I certainly wish I could come up there but I guess updates like this will suffice. I absolutely can't wait for the season. It will be very, very fun.

TaiAdmiral
07-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Hey guys, here are some highlights of today at the ProAM...brought to you by Crazie Talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFWaBmbd6-4

oldnavy
07-09-2010, 06:54 AM
Hey guys, here are some highlights of today at the ProAM...brought to you by Crazie Talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFWaBmbd6-4

Maybe I have a bad computer resolution or just old eyes, but is that Nolan with the pink shoes? I could make out Mason, and Miles, but not sure who the guard was, looked a little like Nolan but I could not be sure.

username
07-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Maybe I have a bad computer resolution or just old eyes, but is that Nolan with the pink shoes? I could make out Mason, and Miles, but not sure who the guard was, looked a little like Nolan but I could not be sure.

Yes, that's Nolan, listen to the announcer at 0:49.

Bluedevil114
07-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Yes, that's Nolan, listen to the announcer at 0:49.

I am real sure he knew it was Nolan but I think the question was more about if he was actually wearing pink shoes.

jimrowe0
07-09-2010, 08:49 AM
His shoes were orange

flyingdutchdevil
07-09-2010, 08:59 AM
His shoes were orange

Orange is a beautiful color. Turn on your TV at 2:30 on Sunday

Faison1
07-09-2010, 08:59 AM
I know "summer league/Nick Horvath" talk is not the best predictor of future success, but SHOOT, I am getting excited for the upcoming season!

Thanks to SupaDave for the great info! Wish I could come see some games.

NSDukeFan
07-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Orange is a beautiful color. Turn on your TV at 2:30 on Sunday

I thought Spain's uniforms were a bit more yellow or gold. ;)

flyingdutchdevil
07-09-2010, 10:10 AM

Ouch. Ouch...

TaiAdmiral
07-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Maybe a little better quality on this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFZLzFuhIek

username
07-09-2010, 10:45 AM

He's talking about team Netherlands.

Slackerb
07-09-2010, 10:49 AM
NC State's Scott Wood and Johnny Thompson had good showings. Thompson is expected to do some things this year at the three and he hit quite a few threes. Did I mention that he's also a DUNKAHOLIC? Please youtube Johnny Thompson - you won't be disappointed. Sidney Lowe has some surprises for the ACC. The kid Wood hit some shots as well but overall he's a bench player - plainly stated.

Actually, if it's Johnny Thomas that you're talking about, he graduated and is going to play ball elsewhere. He won't be at State this year. He is crazy athletic and just never could seem to get healthy until now.

And that kid Wood that is a "bench player" started every game for the Wolfpack last year and averaged 8 PPG. His field goal percentage and 3-point percentages were about as good as Scheyer and Dawkins last year, for example. He dropped 31 on FSU(the best defensive team in the ACC) and had more than 3 3-pointers 7 times.

He's also a good defensive player with good size for the SG and SF spots.

Thanks for the report, but you're a bit off on State's guys.

COYS
07-09-2010, 11:04 AM
He's talking about team Netherlands.

I'm certain that NSDukie knew that. He was just stating his rooting preference for the WC Final.

Anyway, it sounds like Ryan is getting a chance to show some of his offensive potential. Being sick at the beginning of last year really hurt him. Actually, all three of our frosh were hamstrung last year by injury (Mason), sickness (Ryan), or unavoidable late arrival and family tragedy (Andre). I think we'll see a nice jump from all of them this coming season.

CDu
07-09-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm certain that NSDukie knew that. He was just stating his rooting preference for the WC Final.

Anyway, it sounds like Ryan is getting a chance to show some of his offensive potential. Being sick at the beginning of last year really hurt him. Actually, all three of our frosh were hamstrung last year by injury (Mason), sickness (Ryan), or unavoidable late arrival and family tragedy (Andre). I think we'll see a nice jump from all of them this coming season.

I had heard that the illness for Kelly was fairly minor and fairly early in the summer. Thus, I think his issues were more just that he wasn't up to the speed of the college game yet (which I think many expected for him), and not due to illness.

In either case, with a year of development and experience with the speed of the game, hopefully he's a much different player this year. I certainly hope to see a big jump from all of them this year. Not that I'm complaining at all about what they did last year - just that it would be great to see them take big steps forward. And (especially for Mason and Kelly) we'll need them to take on bigger roles this year.

SupaDave
07-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Actually, if it's Johnny Thomas that you're talking about, he graduated and is going to play ball elsewhere. He won't be at State this year. He is crazy athletic and just never could seem to get healthy until now.

And that kid Wood that is a "bench player" started every game for the Wolfpack last year and averaged 8 PPG. His field goal percentage and 3-point percentages were about as good as Scheyer and Dawkins last year, for example. He dropped 31 on FSU(the best defensive team in the ACC) and had more than 3 3-pointers 7 times.

He's also a good defensive player with good size for the SG and SF spots.

Thanks for the report, but you're a bit off on State's guys.

Wood will be on the bench this year.

I looked up Thomas while at the game and a current interview popped up (at least it looked current). Sorry to hear that State wont get his services. He would've really helped.

DukieInBrasil
07-09-2010, 12:38 PM

I believe this to be true. State's got some very talented kids coming in this year who I think will take away Wood's starting gig.

Delaware
07-09-2010, 01:11 PM

theman5207
07-09-2010, 05:34 PM

Is that Miles with a beard early in the clip? Nice.

TaiAdmiral
07-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Nolan's shoes and Zoubeard...now in HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSJCUBuK1i4

oldnavy
07-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Ok, granted this is summer league play, BUT does it look like Nolan has stepped up his game to yet another level? I really do not remember him having that sic crossover move and step back jumper. I am sure he did it last year but I just do not remember it like I saw on this video. I do not want to make too much of it, but it is pretty impressive. Can not wait until November!

COYS
07-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Ok, granted this is summer league play, BUT does it look like Nolan has stepped up his game to yet another level? I really do not remember him having that sic crossover move and step back jumper. I am sure he did it last year but I just do not remember it like I saw on this video. I do not want to make too much of it, but it is pretty impressive. Can not wait until November!

He definitely used it some last year. However, most of his shots from the elbow came off of a catch and shoot curl from the baseline aided by a stonewalling Zoubek or Thomas pick. These highlights definitely show him doing a little more shot creation on his own.

magjayran
07-10-2010, 01:26 PM
I think part of it is that he continues to work on and improve his game. Anyone following him on Twitter knows that he's become quite the gym rat over the last couple of years. The other part is that the defense in the summer league is a little loose.

Olympic Fan
07-10-2010, 01:57 PM

We'll see ... but the projection I get from my State buddies are that they expect to start Harrow at the point, Lorenzo Brown at wing guard, C.J. Leslie at power forward, Tracey Smith at center and Scott Wood as small forward.

Sidney has suggested that he might go bigger -- with Vandenberg/Painter sharing the middle, Smith at PF and Leslie on the wing. If that happens, then Wood becomes the sixth man.

Whether he starts or not, Wood is going to play a huge role -- he's clearly State's best 3-point shooter and that tends to come in handy.

The thinking is that with so many other offensive threats it will free Wood to spot up and get more open looks. He hit a solid .373 on 169 3-point tries last season -- leading State in 3pts made, attempted and pct.

PS Johnny Thomas -- aka the NC State version of Olek Czyz -- averaged 1.6 points and 1.7 rebounds in his three seasons at State. It looks like he's transferring to Marshall, using the grad-early loophope to be eligible for the Herd next season.

amat1129
07-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Nolan's shoes and Zoubeard...now in HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSJCUBuK1i4

That was so enjoyable to watch

riverside6
07-10-2010, 09:57 PM
We'll see ... but the projection I get from my State buddies are that they expect to start Harrow at the point, Lorenzo Brown at wing guard, C.J. Leslie at power forward, Tracey Smith at center and Scott Wood as small forward.

Sidney has suggested that he might go bigger -- with Vandenberg/Painter sharing the middle, Smith at PF and Leslie on the wing. If that happens, then Wood becomes the sixth man.

Whether he starts or not, Wood is going to play a huge role -- he's clearly State's best 3-point shooter and that tends to come in handy.

The thinking is that with so many other offensive threats it will free Wood to spot up and get more open looks. He hit a solid .373 on 169 3-point tries last season -- leading State in 3pts made, attempted and pct.

I'm thinking Wood will start as well. That said, a player you didn't mention is most likely to bump Wood from the lineup. That player is Richard Howell. In this scenario Howell would play the 4 and Leslie would move to the 3.

verga
07-10-2010, 11:20 PM
the one thing i noticed about Nolan, other than the shoes, was how quick he was and his handle has improved.:)

amazinballer323
07-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Now that MP1 has hit puberty the ACC can watch out!

ChicagoCrazy84
07-11-2010, 01:52 AM
the one thing i noticed about Nolan, other than the shoes, was how quick he was and his handle has improved.:)

He looked very comfortable. That's the best way to describe it. He has always been quick, but never put all the other things together.

roywhite
07-11-2010, 08:34 AM
He looked very comfortable. That's the best way to describe it. He has always been quick, but never put all the other things together.

If I recall correctly, Coach K talked about the improvement that Nolan had made between his sophomore and junior year, and then said he would also take another big step for his senior year.

theAlaskanBear
07-11-2010, 09:19 AM
So did I hear Tuesday is a big day? If I was going to come up and watch some BB tuesday what do I need to know? Anyone from the boards going to be there?

I live in Charlotte...so it's going to be a long drive, not sure if I want to make the trek yet but I do have friends in Chapel Hill to hang out with and stay the night...

Bluedevil114
07-11-2010, 09:41 AM
If I recall correctly, Coach K talked about the improvement that Nolan had made between his sophomore and junior year, and then said he would also take another big step for his senior year.

Agreed!!

Nolan will improve and look even stronger in a fast pace push the ball and go environment next year. Singler and Nolan already know how to score in the half court game but next year they will both benefit with Kyrie and Seth pushing the ball and getting easy baskets. Nolan will look explosive next year with the ball being pushed up the court quicker then the defense.

oldnavy
07-12-2010, 06:58 AM

This is what I am looking forward to. As much talk (rightfully so) that has surrounded KI and Seth Curry coming in, I expect Nolan to be the best player on the court in most every game we play next year. No offense to Kyle who I absolutely love, but Nolan has just exponentially improved his game IMO. Last year he was amazing, this year with his continued hard work and new found confidence (winning a NC will do that) I just expect that he is going to be something to behold.

CDu
07-12-2010, 02:38 PM

There are a few pretty nice highlights in there, although I can see why people say to take the Pro-Am games with a grain of salt. The defense looks absolutely abysmal in those clips. Poor organization (which should be expected in what is basically a pick-up summer league) and minimal effort on the perimeter. You'd never see Smith given that much time against a good team.

Looking forward to seeing those guys against real competition in a few months!

magjayran
07-13-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm thinking about going tonight. Anyone know who will be playing?

Duvall
07-13-2010, 12:58 PM

Everyone.

No, not really. But Irving and Singler are supposed to play at 6:00, Curry, Hairston and Miles are supposed to play at 7:00, and the UNC squad is supposed to square off with the NCSU squad at 8:00.

airowe
07-13-2010, 01:00 PM

Kyrie and Kyle are playing tonight at 6. Its Kyrie's debut and the first time I'll see him live!

Miles, Seth, and Josh are playing at 7.

The big matchup is NCSU vs. unc at 8 and the place will be packed so get there early.

We will be live tweeting twitter.com/dukehoopblog and hope to get video of the action as well as video interviews after the games...

magjayran
07-13-2010, 01:03 PM
How early do you think I should get there? I wanna see the Duke guys so I was thinking about getting to the gym about 5:30.

billyj
07-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Kyrie and Kyle are playing tonight at 6. Its Kyrie's debut and the first time I'll see him live!

Miles, Seth, and Josh are playing at 7.

The big matchup is NCSU vs. unc at 8 and the place will be packed so get there early.

We will be live tweeting twitter.com/dukehoopblog and hope to get video of the action as well as video interviews after the games...

Niice, I will be reading your tweets.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-13-2010, 07:23 PM
updates??? arent they playing @6:00 tonight?

Duvall
07-13-2010, 07:49 PM
updates??? arent they playing @6:00 tonight?

airowe Tweets (http://twitter.com/dukehoopblog).

ThePublisher
07-13-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm not there, stupid job getting in the way of fun an important stuff, but my friend is and he has confirmed that:
Irving put up at least 25 points in the first game and is very fast. (this guy is a state fan by the way) There was no Singler in the first game.
Nolan Smith is there. Along with Seth Curry. Mile Plumlee is also there but is supposedly not doing well.

I will be going back on the 20th, as all of the Duke teams will be playing, and there is a rematch of the state v. unc game from tonight. Hopefully all the Duke players will show.

billyj
07-13-2010, 08:05 PM
"He dropped 35 and broke a couple ankles"

sweet! :eek:

_TheFakeJWill_
07-13-2010, 08:17 PM
"He dropped 35 and broke a couple ankles"

sweet! :eek:

wow i cant wait for a video of this :)

roywhite
07-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Yeah, it's fun reading about this summer league action (with the usual disclaimers).

From some of the reports, the gym is packed, with State fans, Carolina fans, Duke fans, and just local hoops fans all checking out the guys, especially the new talent.

This is gonna be a special hoops year in the Triangle.

http://twitter.com/ArmstrongWTVD

Cockabeau
07-13-2010, 08:47 PM
This is what I am looking forward to. As much talk (rightfully so) that has surrounded KI and Seth Curry coming in, I expect Nolan to be the best player on the court in most every game we play next year. No offense to Kyle who I absolutely love, but Nolan has just exponentially improved his game IMO. Last year he was amazing, this year with his continued hard work and new found confidence (winning a NC will do that) I just expect that he is going to be something to behold.

IMO, Nolan was our most valuable player last year.

Newton_14
07-13-2010, 09:08 PM
I just got back. I caught the 2nd half of Kyrie's game (Kyle was a no show). Kyrie played well offensively. Defense will need some work. He he had one shake, bake, elevate for 3 that swished and hit 2 or 3 other 3's in the half I saw. The dude is a magician. The breaking ankles report was accurate as he had one sick drive from the wing where he made the defender look stupid.

Miles, Seth, and Josh were in the 2nd game. Miles rocking the long hair and beard. He looked fine. Made a few nice moves inside. His jumper was not there tonight so that part was not good.

Josh Hairston has really good hands. When he gets his hands on a rebound it is his. He also has good length, and is much smoother with his jumper than LT was. He is built fairly well but just needs to get stronger which I am sure he will. He definitely looks like he has the skillset and body type to play the 3 and 4.

Seth was smooth with the ball and hit a couple of deep three's. He looks like he will be a good on ball defender too.

Ryan, Nolan, and Andre were all there watching the action. Tracy Wood played in game 2 as well. It was a who's who of the ACC out there tonight. Had to leave at halftime of Miles' game but saw Tracy Smith, Ryan Harrow, John Henson, and a few other State guys.

The place was beyond capacity. I got there at 6:20 and ended up having to sit in a folding chair in the corner right at the baseline. Had a great view. When I went to leave the cops were not letting anyone else in and there were literally hundreds more people outside not being allowed in. It was crazy.

kyriecrazy2013
07-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I just got back. I caught the 2nd half of Kyrie's game (Kyle was a no show). Kyrie played well offensively. Defense will need some work. He he had one shake, bake, elevate for 3 that swished and hit 2 or 3 other 3's in the half I saw. The dude is a magician. The breaking ankles report was accurate as he had one sick drive from the wing where he made the defender look stupid.

Miles, Seth, and Josh were in the 2nd game. Miles rocking the long hair and beard. He looked fine. Made a few nice moves inside. His jumper was not there tonight so that part was not good.

Josh Hairston has really good hands. When he gets his hands on a rebound it is his. He also has good length, and is much smoother with his jumper than LT was. He is built fairly well but just needs to get stronger which I am sure he will. He definitely looks like he has the skillset and body type to play the 3 and 4.

Seth was smooth with the ball and hit a couple of deep three's. He looks like he will be a good on ball defender too.

Ryan, Nolan, and Andre were all there watching the action. Tracy Wood played in game 2 as well. It was a who's who of the ACC out there tonight. Had to leave at halftime of Miles' game but saw Tracy Smith, Ryan Harrow, John Henson, and a few other State guys.

The place was beyond capacity. I got there at 6:20 and ended up having to sit in a folding chair in the corner right at the baseline. Had a great view. When I went to leave the cops were not letting anyone else in and there were literally hundreds more people outside not being allowed in. It was crazy.

Tyler Thornton was there also. Kyrie was amazing, Seth wasn't super flashy but he quietly scored about half of his team's points.

WiJoe
07-13-2010, 09:18 PM
airowe Tweets (http://twitter.com/dukehoopblog).

http://twitter.com/dukehoopblog

"Prince Harriett does not like to pass."

:D :D :D :D

Newton_14
07-13-2010, 09:32 PM
http://twitter.com/dukehoopblog

"Prince Harriett does not like to pass."

:D :D :D :D

I hate I had to leave before the 8pm game. From Airowe's tweets sounds like that State/unc game is a barn burner with tempers flaring...

magjayran
07-13-2010, 11:12 PM
I got back a little while ago. Irving dominated on a team full of scrubs. I couldn't believe that his teammate decided to take it to the hole and force a bad shot with the game on the line after Kyrie had dominated most of the game.

In the next game, Miles jumper was off but he had some decent post moves and dunks. He rebounded well too. He was also far and away the biggest guy out there so I wouldn't really form an opinion on him other than he probably shouldn't shoot too much.

Josh has a similar game to Lance. The form on his J looks better than Lance's but he didn't hit any of them. He might have just been off tonight but I wouldn't look for him to score much this year.

Seth looked nice. Good ball handling. He scored on the drive, from 3 and with tough pull-ups. He's the type of guy that could get hot and win a game for us but I'm glad he's not the only option because I don't think he would ever stop shooting just because he might be a little cold.

The UNC vs. State game started off with tons of intensity but sort of died down by the second half. I thought Reggie Bullock stood out the most from UNC and Leslie for State. Ryan Harrow is shorter than 5'11" and Henson is grotesquely skinny. Barnes has great ball-handling skills and seems to excel in one on one situations. Leslie appeared taller than him by at least an inch.

It looked like CJ Leslie might have a bit of an attitude problem. I'd watch for that this year in tight games. I couldn't tell if there was gonna be another game tonight or not but I was ready to go after the UNC/State showdown.

SilkyJ
07-14-2010, 12:04 AM
In the next game, Miles jumper was off but he had some decent post moves and dunks. He rebounded well too. He was also far and away the biggest guy out there so I wouldn't really form an opinion on him other than he probably shouldn't shoot too much.

I wouldn't form an opinion of anyone from one game. Miles also showed the ability to knockdown the midrange J last year with some consistency, so I think he'll be fine next year.

MisterRoddy
07-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Incredible Highlights at the Pro-Am of Our Very Own: Kyrie Irving (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/7957278/)

TaiAdmiral
07-14-2010, 02:15 AM
Hey guys, thanks for your patience. Here's CrazieTalk's highlights from today's Pro-Am action...with some bonus clips that you might enjoy! Might want to wait a lil bit for the video to finish processing if you wanna watch in high-def.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jEMZ3SHpZE

ThePublisher
07-14-2010, 02:56 AM
Incredible Highlights at the Pro-Am of Our Very Own: Kyrie Irving (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/7957278/)

Watch the interview that comes up after this highlight clip. Kyrie is asked if he is excited about the next game (state v unc) and he says that he is excited to see Ryan Harrow play, that he is a "great little point guard" LOL

On another note about tonight a couple of my State friends have been brought back to earth after watching their guys loose to unc. Hopefully after witnessing Kyrie, and seeing their guys play less than excellent, order can be restored in our basketball conversations.

funkmeister
07-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Some sick highlights from last night as well as last Thursday (7/8). Featuring Kyrie, Miles, Seth, Josh, Nolan, and Mason.

Link (http://www.crazie-talk.com/2010/07/14/video-duke-at-the-nc-pro-am/)

airowe
07-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Our article from the Pro-Am last night with the NouBeard in all it's glory: http://dukehoop.blogspot.com/2010/07/pro-am-last-night.html

Bob Green
07-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Our article from the Pro-Am last night with the NouBeard in all it's glory: http://dukehoop.blogspot.com/2010/07/pro-am-last-night.html

Thanks for the link and the eyewitness report. I enjoyed your article and look forward to future editions.

Waynne
07-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Thank you all for the great videos and reports. I haven't seen anything about what Mason is doing this summer. Anyone have any info about him?

Bob Green
07-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Thank you all for the great videos and reports. I haven't seen anything about what Mason is doing this summer. Anyone have any info about him?

He played in the Pro Am with Nolan Smith last Thursday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GmALnbvcnc

Bluedevil114
07-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey guys, thanks for your patience. Here's CrazieTalk's highlights from today's Pro-Am action...with some bonus clips that you might enjoy! Might want to wait a lil bit for the video to finish processing if you wanna watch in high-def.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jEMZ3SHpZE

Carolina looks much like they did last year in this video. Was this shot at the Pro Am or the ACC Tournament?

watzone
07-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Mike Mueller on Kyrie Irving and the Pro Am - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/07/kyrie-irvings-debut-at-the-n-c-pro-am-thrills-duke-fans/

airowe
07-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Duke guys are saying they'll be there tonight, I'm thinking Nolan won't...

http://dukehoop.blogspot.com/2010/07/duke-players-at-pro-am-tonight.html

Devilsfan
07-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Looks like he should have gone somewhere this summer where he could of had some real competition.

BlueThru&Thru
07-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Carolina looks much like they did last year in this video. Was this shot at the Pro Am or the ACC Tournament?

ACC Now’s J.P. Gilgio was there and had high praise for Reggie Bullock:

None of the freshmen, on either side, disappointed but Bullock, who pumped in 30 points, stole the show.

The book on Bullock, a 6-6 wing from Kinston, is that he can shoot, sort of a newer version of Wayne Ellington, the shooting guard on UNC’s 2009 national title team.

Based on Tuesday’s performance, Bullock’s got more game than that, more like a senior-year Danny Green than just a spot-up shooter like Ellington. He can handle the ball and create his own shot off the dribble. :D

In addition to the Bullock show Duke had a nice showing tonight with Kyrie Irving definitely showing that he can handle the ball and shoot. He is going to be trouble but he doesn’t make great decisions all the time like Barnes and isn’t as physical as Bullock. Still he can shoot and I would assume he’ll only get better with time at Duke.

Duvall
07-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Based on Tuesday’s performance, Bullock’s got more game than that, more like a senior-year Danny Green than just a spot-up shooter like Ellington. He can handle the ball and create his own shot off the dribble. :D

FUN FACT: ACC ain't pickup ball. Let's see how he does when people are playing defense.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-15-2010, 06:35 PM
FUN FACT: ACC ain't pickup ball. Let's see how he does when people are playing defense.

amen! we still have 3 SG's id pick over Bullock.... plus i can already tell i wont like this guy. I hated Green and I know im gonna feel the same about this loud mouth... and unlike Green he won't win 4 in a row in Cameron ;)

Jderf
07-15-2010, 07:11 PM

None of the freshmen, on either side, disappointed but Bullock, who pumped in 30 points, stole the show.

The book on Bullock, a 6-6 wing from Kinston, is that he can shoot, sort of a newer version of Wayne Ellington, the shooting guard on UNC’s 2009 national title team.

In addition to the Bullock show Duke had a nice showing tonight with Kyrie Irving definitely showing that he can handle the ball and shoot. He is going to be trouble but he doesn’t make great decisions all the time like Barnes and isn’t as physical as Bullock. Still he can shoot and I would assume he’ll only get better with time at Duke.

Interested to know what you're basing the bolded part on.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-15-2010, 07:24 PM

same thing i was thinking.. i mean i wasnt there but just doesnt sound like him from all the scouting reports ive read?! If anything the ball should have been in his hands more from what i read.

airowe
07-15-2010, 08:05 PM

First, let Bullock play in the ACC before you start comparing him to a Senior anyone.

Second, I was there and your contention that "Irving doesn't make great decisions all the time like Barnes" doesn't jive with what I saw.

VaDukie
07-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Lets not get too upset. This is the best part of UNC's season. All bad things are forgotten and great things are still possible.

gumbomoop
07-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Second, I was there and your contention that "Irving doesn't make great decisions all the time like Barnes" doesn't jive with what I saw.

You gotta cut out this "jive" talk; I'm guessing you meant to type "jibe" instead, but the computer gremlins tricked you, or at least your fingers. Easy typo, since those 2 letters are smack up against each other. [Indeed, I begin to wonder whether the common confusion over this quasi-idiomatic expression originated from the keyboard coincidence.]

Anyhow, to the substance of KI's decision-making, I'll not be surprised to see the occasional turnover, given his warp-speed. Possible, even, that a marvelous pass to an unobservant teammate will go awry. But I agree with you that it's not mostly a matter of decision-making.

As for HB's decision-making, surely Duke posters are allowed to point to one big decision he got way wrong. Big way wrong. Way big wrong. Big wrong way.

almostrufio
07-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Wrong decision? Why would he want to play coming off of the bench behind Kyle Singler? I prefer our wing.

stillcrazie
07-16-2010, 10:56 AM

I don't know anything about this J.P. Gilgio fellow, but everything in this post is dripping with light blue.

CDu
07-16-2010, 11:20 AM

I haven't seen Bullock play, so I won't comment on the accuracy of Giglio's assessment (or your interpretation of his assessment if this is paraphrasing). But the descriptions don't really match Green and Ellington accurately. Green was much more of a spot up shooter with minimal dribbling ability. He most certainly didn't create his own shot. Now, he was a better all-around player than Ellington (rebounding, shotblocking, defending), but I would never have said Green was able to handle the ball and create his own shot. Conversely, Ellington was, by his junior year, pretty darn good at creating his own shot. I felt he was a much better ballhandler than Green.

Lord Ash
07-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Watching this video from Crazy Talk....

http://www.crazie-talk.com/2010/07/14/video-duke-at-the-nc-pro-am/

Is that #7 Miles?! If so... yikes. He looks SO fast and fluid and strong... just jumping-out-of-the-gym moves. Is that him?

Oh, and I have never seen a shot more deserving of the adjective "wet" than Nolan's midranger.

Very excited for the season...

ElSid
07-17-2010, 11:04 PM

Is that #7 Miles?! If so... yikes. He looks SO fast and fluid and strong... just jumping-out-of-the-gym moves. Is that him?

Oh, and I have never seen a shot more deserving of the adjective "wet" than Nolan's midranger.

Yes that is Miles. You can tell by the Zouby scraggle beard he's got going on. He certainly looks like a physical force out there. Hairston looked good too. I love the end of the first video showing the struggles of our rivals down the road. Is it too early to say they're not going to be that good? Yes? Ok, I'll wait. But I got an inkling Roy is going to have another tough year. Duke is simply going to be scary. I can't wait.

Kedsy
07-17-2010, 11:05 PM

Yes, it is Miles, although apparently he was playing against a very small team, so he may not be quite as good as he looked in that video.

roywhite
07-17-2010, 11:08 PM
A few comments on some recent observations here:

If Bullock and Barnes do indeed play very well as freshmen, and they may, that can cause some potential defensive problems for a "small" Duke lineup. Let's make sure all the "minute men" forecasters on this board realize that.

Don't care much for JP Giglio; he was a non-believer about Duke's chances of going far in the tournament last year, and that's after watching plenty of games courtside. He's kind of a cross between a light blue fan and a general wiseguy.

If one wanted to be very picky about Kyrie Irving's game so far (based on HS, all-star games, Nike Hoops Summit, etc.) it would be that he occasionally has a lapse in concentration or judgment. This is a very correctible problem, and is far out-weighed by his ability and competitive spirit. He'll be very good very soon, and I wouldn't trade him for Bullock or Barnes.

Oh, also....82-50.

ElSid
07-17-2010, 11:08 PM

Miles also looks like he put on a few pounds of muscle. Big big dude. Bouncy. Made Mason look almost scrawny, which wasn't the case this past season.

moonpie23
07-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Oh, also....82-50.

look....82-50 is important...i admit....but let's not forget the IMPORTANT thing about that night.....which was.....if duke doesn't EVEN FREAKING SCORE in the 2nd half....we still win...

like a 24 oz bone in ribeye knocked in the head and dragged over the grill....

DeBlueDevil
07-18-2010, 08:25 AM
RoyWhite....I just wanted to comment on the last part of your statement. First of all, I totally understand that you were just making convo because you clearly say "if one wanted to be picky" but my rebuttal to that would be that could Kyrie's lack of focus here and there be due to the lack of competition at times?! I've been watching him a little over a year and a half now and its crazy to see how he really hasn't had the slightest competition! It's really amazing to see someone virtually not struggle...especially a high school player.

Only game he even came close to struggling the slightest bit was the one game against that stacked Findlay Prep high school team and thats cause Mike Gilchrist was hurt and they focused slowly on him. I think once he puts that Duke uni on and we're in the regular season he will be what they call LOCKED in.

Lastly, you know the best part about this year with Kyrie? If he does have a lapse of focus at any time can't you already picture "Big Brother" Nolan Smith pulling him by the jersey and being a leader and letting him know to get his head in the game. Not to mention a threat that if he doesn't focus he has someone as good as Seth Curry competing for his position? It's going to be a beautiful year....and better yet a rather long one for our foes up the road....:)

roywhite
07-18-2010, 08:37 AM
RoyWhite....I just wanted to comment on the last part of your statement. First of all, I totally understand that you were just making convo because you clearly say "if one wanted to be picky" but my rebuttal to that would be that could Kyrie's lack of focus here and there be due to the lack of competition at times?! I've been watching him a little over a year and a half now and its crazy to see how he really hasn't had the slightest competition! It's really amazing to see someone virtually not struggle...especially a high school player.

Only game he even came close to struggling the slightest bit was the one game against that stacked Findlay Prep high school team and thats cause Mike Gilchrist was hurt and they focused slowly on him. I think once he puts that Duke uni on and we're in the regular season he will be what they call LOCKED in.

Lastly, you know the best part about this year with Kyrie? If he does have a lapse of focus at any time can't you already picture "Big Brother" Nolan Smith pulling him by the jersey and being a leader and letting him know to get his head in the game. Not to mention a threat that if he doesn't focus he has someone as good as Seth Curry competing for his position? It's going to be a beautiful year....and better yet a rather long one for our foes up the road....:)

Yeah, just talkin'.

Probably the worst lapse I've seen from Kyrie was a pretty bad shot clock violation in the last few minutes of the USA-Brazil game in the U-18 Americas competition. Of course, it was Kyrie who ignited the comeback and was carrying the USA team down the stretch. He takes on the challenge in key situations, another reason to like him.

In terms of expectations, I definitely can't wait to see the coming edition of the Blue Devils . Not much doubt that we will play a fast-paced, exciting brand of basketball and Kyrie will be right in the middle of it, with the added advantage of having talented, experienced teammates. He should have a bunch of assists and also score well. Again, to be realistic, he'll probably also have more turnovers than Scheyer did.

moonpie23
07-18-2010, 09:34 AM
umm...i've seen LEbron, kobe, timmy, dwade, chris bosh, steve nash and even doug gotlieb have "lapses in judgement".....

and?

Bluedevil114
07-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Not to get too far ahead of myself with this post but.........

At times next year we are going to look like an All-Star team compared to even this past year. With the depth Duke will have at guard, mismatches all over the court.

Kyrie is going to be able to push the ball up the court so quickly even before the defense has a chance to set. His options of driving to the basket or passing to Kyle, Seth and Nolan on the wings or a Plumlee for an easy slam.

Duke will definitely have scores in the 90's and 100's compared to this season in the 60's and 70's. Defense also will be very tough. The only difference on Defense and Offense could be how well our bigs rebound. Will we get second chance opportunities and do the Plumlees kick those opportunities out for easy three point opportunities or do they go for the slam?

Bottomline is they will be so exciting to watch and anything but a trip back to the Final Four is a disappointment.

roywhite
07-18-2010, 12:07 PM

Bottomline is they will be so exciting to watch and anything but a trip back to the Final Four is a disappointment.

I'm afraid you are getting too far ahead.

Let's enjoy the journey.

Bluedevil114
07-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Let's enjoy the journey.

Agreed. But do you think Kyle or Nolan would come back for their senior years if they did not feel that they had as good a chance to win again then any other team in college basketball?

_TheFakeJWill_
07-18-2010, 03:42 PM

Let's enjoy the journey.
How is that getting ahead of his self? it would be a disappointment if Duke doesn't make the FF every year :D
But especially if we are #1 preseason and have 2 stud Seniors coming off a career Junior year.

-jk
07-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Agreed. But do you think Kyle or Nolan would come back for their senior years if they did not feel that they had as good a chance to win again then any other team in college basketball?

I'll grant you "as good a chance" as any team, and even raise you to "better than most". It's still way less than 50/50.

-jk

14duke
07-18-2010, 04:34 PM
I think people are forgetting that our # 2 pg recruit Tyler Thornton has regularly out played Kendall Marshall/ "the next Jason Kidd". Great time to be a Duke fan.:)

sagegrouse
07-18-2010, 04:44 PM

Uh.... One game at a time, if you don't mind.

sagegrouse

airowe
07-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Pro-Am article with focus on Kyrie from the NY Times: http://nyti.ms/cflijd

WiJoe
07-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Pro-Am article with focus on Kyrie from the NY Times: http://nyti.ms/cflijd

In Summer League, Lessons Begin Early for a Duke Recruit
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

:cool:

magjayran
07-19-2010, 12:30 AM
I haven't seen Bullock play, so I won't comment on the accuracy of Giglio's assessment (or your interpretation of his assessment if this is paraphrasing). But the descriptions don't really match Green and Ellington accurately. Green was much more of a spot up shooter with minimal dribbling ability. He most certainly didn't create his own shot. Now, he was a better all-around player than Ellington (rebounding, shotblocking, defending), but I would never have said Green was able to handle the ball and create his own shot. Conversely, Ellington was, by his junior year, pretty darn good at creating his own shot. I felt he was a much better ballhandler than Green.

I was at that game and Bullock didn't resemble Danny Green in any way. I would say that Bullock looked like he has a much higher ceiling offensively than Danny Green. Because of the nature of these Summer League games it's much harder to comment on a players defensive ability but Bullock didn't show me anything on that front to remind me of Danny Green either.

Kedsy
07-19-2010, 01:03 AM
I was at that game and Bullock didn't resemble Danny Green in any way. I would say that Bullock looked like he has a much higher ceiling offensively than Danny Green. Because of the nature of these Summer League games it's much harder to comment on a players defensive ability but Bullock didn't show me anything on that front to remind me of Danny Green either.

Yeah, but can he dance?

CampbellBlueDevil
07-19-2010, 01:13 AM
I'll be driving to Durham to watch all the Duke players... excited to see Seth alongside the bulked up Miles and all the incoming freshmen as well. Does anyone know what time they open the gym up?

airowe
07-19-2010, 07:52 AM
I'll be driving to Durham to watch all the Duke players... excited to see Seth alongside the bulked up Miles and all the incoming freshmen as well. Does anyone know what time they open the gym up?

There's an AAU tournament that usually goes on from 5-6 before the games, there are a lot of AAU Tournaments going on this week though, so I'm not positive they'll be there. Remember that Kyle and Nolan are in Vegas with the USA Select team, so they will not be in attendance this week.

BD80
07-19-2010, 12:00 PM
... If one wanted to be very picky about Kyrie Irving's game so far ... it would be that he occasionally has a lapse in concentration or judgment. This is a very correctible problem, ... He'll be very good very soon, ...

This is why Duke was such a good choice for Kyrie. Although college ball is a big step up in terms of overall athleticsm and the players understanding the game, it is still several steps below the NBA. Coach K and the staff will break down every moment of his play with Kyrie and he will learn to be a complete player, and carry those lessons to the next level. Even though Kyrie's athleticsm and skills will allow him to make it at the next level no matter what, he would tend to compensate for a lack in fundamentals and not reach an even higher level of play. Example - John Wall. Coach K is not the only coach that would help Kyrie learn to value each possession and to participate as actively on defense as offense, but he is a big step ahead of some of his contemporaries such as Calipari.

... Kyrie is going to be able to push the ball up the court so quickly even before the defense has a chance to set. ...

... The only difference on Defense and Offense could be how well our bigs rebound. ...

Completely disagree. Although the "bigs" will probably have more rebounds next year (due to many more possessions per game), I think there will be a higher percentage of rebounds going to our wings. With Kyrie splitting out on shots for an outlet, opposing teams will be keeping at least one and more likely two guards back to defend the break - leaving easy rebounds for our guards to collect. Similarly, with the speed of Miles and Mason getting down the court, opposing bigs will be less likely to fight along the baseline for rebounds they probably won't get. With the fast breaks, missed first attempts will be more open for the faster players and less dependent on rebounding position. I also see us being able to send three or four players to crash the offensive glass (Kyrie BETTER learn to rotate back) and there being continuous tip drills, with rebounds going to our third guy in who is less likely to be boxed out.

This year will be completely different than last year, except hopefully for that 6 game winning streak at the end. Hopefully Miles will box out and rebound more like Zoubs and hopefully Mason will defend more like Lance, but they will give us things offensively we could never have asked of our big men last year. We will also be able to extend ball pressure so much farther out that opposing point guards might start crying. As well as Coach K coached last year, and as much as he loved his seniors, this year's team is much more Coach K's style of team. When does practice start?

flyingdutchdevil
07-19-2010, 12:25 PM
This is why Duke was such a good choice for Kyrie. Although college ball is a big step up in terms of overall athleticsm and the players understanding the game, it is still several steps below the NBA. Coach K and the staff will break down every moment of his play with Kyrie and he will learn to be a complete player, and carry those lessons to the next level. Even though Kyrie's athleticsm and skills will allow him to make it at the next level no matter what, he would tend to compensate for a lack in fundamentals and not reach an even higher level of play. Example - John Wall. Coach K is not the only coach that would help Kyrie learn to value each possession and to participate as actively on defense as offense, but he is a big step ahead of some of his contemporaries such as Calipari.

I'm not a Calipari fan at all. But there is no denying his ability to get PGs to the NBA who are ready - Derrick Rose, Tyrese Evans, most likely John Wall. All these players have (or will) reached the HIGHEST level of play at the next level - Rookie of the Year.

IMO, Kyrie would be just as NBA-ready if he went to Kentucky (and maybe even more so - he would be the focus on the offense, that's for sure). Calipari is the best in the business at getting PGs to the NBA. But by going to Duke, Kyrie has a chance to win, and win big. Under UK's model, they can't win an NC with top recruit after top recruit. John Wall and Cousins were two of the best prospects in the last 5 years, and UK couldn't even get into the FF.

Bluedevil114
07-19-2010, 12:36 PM
This year will be completely different than last year, except hopefully for that 6 game winning streak at the end.

You do mean 10 game winning streak, starting with North Carolina, ACC Tournament Champs and ending with the NCAA Tournament Champs.

flyingdutchdevil
07-19-2010, 12:38 PM
You do mean 10 game winning streak, starting with North Carolina, ACC Tournament Champs and ending with the NCAA Tournament Champs.

Make it 11. Don't think we're gonna lose to a non-Greivis Maryland team.

BD80
07-19-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm not a Calipari fan at all. But there is no denying his ability to get PGs to the NBA who are ready - Derrick Rose, Tyrese Evans, most likely John Wall. All these players have (or will) reached the HIGHEST level of play at the next level - Rookie of the Year.

My point is they would have done that well no matter who coached them in college, they are that talented. I think Evans and Rose and Wall would be even BETTER players if they had had a coach like Coach K (or Izzo or others) help them break the game down at the college level to see the fundamentals at work at the intermediate speed before going to full speed (NBA). With a better understanding of the game and a greater appreciation of the fundamentals, those players would be even better.

How about this, I'll say that Kyrie will be a better pro than John Wall - because he will have a year of learning the game with Coach K. Of course better does not just mean number of points scored - or AI and Agent zero would be "great" players. I am talking about a better player in directing a team toward a win.

Duvall
07-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Make it 11. Don't think we're gonna lose to a non-Greivis Maryland team.

We don't know who Duke will be playing in that game.

flyingdutchdevil
07-19-2010, 12:44 PM
We don't know who Duke will be playing in that game.

Thanks for ruining my moment ;)

NSDukeFan
07-19-2010, 01:45 PM

IMO, Kyrie would be just as NBA-ready if he went to Kentucky (and maybe even more so - he would be the focus on the offense, that's for sure). Calipari is the best in the business at getting PGs to the NBA. But by going to Duke, Kyrie has a chance to win, and win big. Under UK's model, they can't win an NC with top recruit after top recruit. John Wall and Cousins were two of the best prospects in the last 5 years, and UK couldn't even get into the FF.

I think the key statement is the first one that I bolded. Calipari is great at getting NBA-ready players NBA-ready. In other words, he is a good recruiter. I don't know if recruiting the best point guards (who would be able to go to the NBA no matter what) and having them declare for the draft makes the coach good at getting PGs to the NBA.

I certainly don't think Calipari is a bad coach. I think his teams play solid defense. I think he has taken a few teams to the verge of making (legally?) the final four. I think he did a very good job with the inexperienced, but very talented UK team he had last year. It was very impressive that a team that inexperienced only ended up with 3? losses. But, he is not in the same class as coach K in terms of ethical leadership. I think anyone who went to the NBA after playing for Calipari, would do at least as well as a player, and perhaps better as a person, if he had played for coach K instead.

CDu
07-19-2010, 02:42 PM

I think we need to be careful about making conclusions about the effectiveness of Calipari's approach based on a sample size of one. This is especially true when making those evaluations based on a six-game, single-elimination tournament.

Remember - the Wildcats were one atrocious shooting night away from the Final Four. If they win that game, who's to say they don't turn around and blow us and Butler away in the Final Four?

It's not fair to say that Calipari's approach at UK can't win a title. There's a lot of luck involved with winning a championship, even if you have the very best team. As has been said ad nauseum, even the very best teams have only about a 33% chance to win it all going into the tournament, and I'm guessing probably only a 50/50 shot to make the Final Four.

Calipari's approach got them to a #1 seed and the #2-3 ranking going into the tournament. For a team that was previously not ranked, I'd say that his system worked just fine. I think the bigger question with his approach is sustainability.

DukieInBrasil
07-19-2010, 03:05 PM
There's a lot of luck involved with winning a championship, even if you have the very best team.
Amundsen: Victory awaits him who has everything in order; luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck.
Seneca: Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

A good coach will prepare their players to have everything in order and to take advantage of opportunity. Part of that is on the coach to recruit the right players, ie the correct mixture of talent and coachability. Part of that is on the players to have the right emotional and psychological make-up to be teachable and have the desire to seize opportunity. This was perfectly encapsulated by one Mr. Shane Battier, and more recently by Mr. John Scheyer.
Having the very best team is not necessarily having the collection of the most physically gifted players.

CDu
07-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Amundsen: Victory awaits him who has everything in order; luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck.

A good coach will prepare their players to have everything in order and to take advantage of opportunity. Part of that is on the coach to recruit the right players, ie the correct mixture of talent and coachability. Part of that is on the players to have the right emotional and psychological make-up to be teachable and have the desire to seize opportunity. This was perfectly encapsulated by one Mr. Shane Battier, and more recently by Mr. John Scheyer.
Having the very best team is not necessarily having the collection of the most physically gifted players.

And even this year's team with Mr. Scheyer needed some luck, on top of fantastic coachability and talent.

I realize that it's not simply the best teams on paper that win. It's also the case that the truly best teams in performance don't win the championship. In a six game single-elimination format, it takes talent, skill, chemistry, coaching/coachability, matchups, AND luck/fortune. For example, do you think that the Indiana team that beat us in 2002 was the better team? What about the Villanova team from 1985?

Remember - Duke didn't win every game we played this season. We didn't even win every game we played once Coach K switched to that ultimate starting lineup. So clearly some amount of good fortune/luck goes into winning a championship.

Osiagledknarf
07-19-2010, 04:31 PM
I think people are forgetting that our # 2 pg recruit Tyler Thornton has regularly out played Kendall Marshall/ "the next Jason Kidd". Great time to be a Duke fan.:)

Marshall's stock has been dropping since the Mcdonald's All America game. For what I saw in the Mcdonald's and Jordan Classic was that he struggled vs. the elite players in the nation. He has since then drop from the 4th over PG and a 5 star prospect to the 9th overall PG prospect and a 4 star prospect on Scout, and dropped from 96 to a 95 grade ESPN. I know it is only all star games, but watching him play, he is pretty underwhelming. And is showing that in the Pre AM as well.

Duvall
07-19-2010, 05:04 PM
And is showing that in the Pre AM as well.

Marshall isn't playing in the Pro Am.

gumbomoop
07-19-2010, 05:14 PM
If they win that game, who's to say they don't turn around and blow us and Butler away in the Final Four?

Me.

I agree with your overall point, but dissent from your speculation here. While true that anything might have happened in a Duke-UK battle, the Duke team that made the FF wasn't the same team blown out by G'town. Much, much better than early season play, much more disciplined and consistent than..... UK, for example. No team could stop 2 of 3-S (and usually not even 1 of them], no team could adjust effectively to both LT and Z, in part, I suspect, because they didn't take them seriously. Not "athletic enough," too pedestrian, no flash, couldn't really hurt you.

Maybe Wall/Cousins/Bledsoe/Patterson would have had hate-Duke-blood in their eyes, but they barely beat some mediocre SEC teams in late-season, so the odds of their blowing away the Devils were fairly low.

Had they nipped the Devils in OT, maybe they'd have blown away Butler.

Anyhow, as I cheerfully emailed a UK friend some weeks after the NC, you don't have to have the most spectacular athletes to win it all. You just need the NCAA, CBS, the refs, Dick Vitale, Bobby Knight, and the Trilateral Commission in your back pocket...... Not to mention WVa.

airowe
07-19-2010, 05:15 PM
And is showing that in the Pre AM as well.

He will, but hasn't started yet...

CDu
07-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Me.

I agree with your overall point, but dissent from your speculation here. While true that anything might have happened in a Duke-UK battle, the Duke team that made the FF wasn't the same team blown out by G'town. Much, much better than early season play, much more disciplined and consistent than..... UK, for example. No team could stop 2 of 3-S (and usually not even 1 of them], no team could adjust effectively to both LT and Z, in part, I suspect, because they didn't take them seriously. Not "athletic enough," too pedestrian, no flash, couldn't really hurt you.

Maybe Wall/Cousins/Bledsoe/Patterson would have had hate-Duke-blood in their eyes, but they barely beat some mediocre SEC teams in late-season, so the odds of their blowing away the Devils were fairly low.

Had they nipped the Devils in OT, maybe they'd have blown away Butler.

Anyhow, as I cheerfully emailed a UK friend some weeks after the NC, you don't have to have the most spectacular athletes to win it all. You just need the NCAA, CBS, the refs, Dick Vitale, Bobby Knight, and the Trilateral Commission in your back pocket...... Not to mention WVa.

Let me clarify. I wasn't saying that I think UK would have blown us away. I was just saying that anything could have happened if UK hadn't had their worst shooting performance of the season in the Elite 8. As such, I didn't think it was fair to say Calipari's approach won't/can't work based on one awful night (for them).

The reality is that Duke was such a matchup team that any number of outcomes could have resulted. For example, if Cousins gets Zoubek and the Plumlees in foul trouble and UK wins the battle on the boards, it could be a very long game. Conversely, if we get Cousins in foul trouble and keep the game in the half court, maybe it's a rough night for UK. The two teams differ so much in style that it would be a case of whomever could get their style of play going.

My point was merely that one awful shooting night isn't proof that Calipari can't win with elite one-and-dones.

CDu
07-19-2010, 05:35 PM

Hence, he's been underwhelming. It's almost like he hasn't even shown up! ;)

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-19-2010, 06:41 PM
I am planning to go tomorrow night. Two questions for anyone who has been...

1. where is the best place to park?
2. do you have to get there early due to crowds?

airowe
07-19-2010, 07:05 PM

Find a spot on the side street across from the gym.

Yes, there is another NCSU-UNC matchup tomorrow night so the place should be packed again. Tracy Smith had to pay someone to park in their back yard last time and he almost got shutout.

roywhite
07-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Find a spot on the side street across from the gym.

Yes, there is another NCSU-UNC matchup tomorrow night so the place should be packed again. Tracy Smith had to pay someone to park in their back yard last time and he almost got shutout.

The Wolfpack's emergence from hibernation is a good thing for the ACC and the Triangle IMO.

It's nice that the area will have one top team and two others that rank somewhere in the Top 25. :)

gumbomoop
07-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Let me clarify. I wasn't saying that I think UK would have blown us away. I was just saying that anything could have happened if UK hadn't had their worst shooting performance of the season in the Elite 8. As such, I didn't think it was fair to say Calipari's approach won't/can't work based on one awful night (for them).

The reality is that Duke was such a matchup team that any number of outcomes could have resulted. For example, if Cousins gets Zoubek and the Plumlees in foul trouble and UK wins the battle on the boards, it could be a very long game. Conversely, if we get Cousins in foul trouble and keep the game in the half court, maybe it's a rough night for UK. The two teams differ so much in style that it would be a case of whomever could get their style of play going.

My point was merely that one awful shooting night isn't proof that Calipari can't win with elite one-and-dones.

Because we [I and you and possibly other guilty parties] have gotten off-thread here, I'm going to continue this over on the"Duke-Butler" thread, which I will right now bump to the top.....

CDu, maybe you'll follow me over there?

Newton_14
07-19-2010, 09:17 PM

To add to what Airowe provided, get there really early. Like 5:30 early. Otherwise you are SOL on parking on the street. I got there at 6:20 the night I went. (night of the first NCSU/unc matchup) and the street was packed with no openings. As were most of the yards where people were charging patrons to park.

I ended up driving on down Lawson street several blocks an came upon a parking lot for falcuty right beside a campus building. There were only 5 or 6 cars in a lot that holds like 80 or more. It was not a bad walk so I would suggest parking there if you get there too late to catch a spot on the street.

The 2nd thing is seating in the gym. When I got there that night basically all of the seats were gone. We would find a section that had 3, 4, 5 open seats and the folks near them would all say the seats belonged to someone already.

After failing to find a seat upstairs I walked downstairs and found a folding chair on the baseline and sat there. I only stayed for the first game and then first half of the 2nd game, and when I left there were hundreds of people outside that were not being allowed in.

GO EARLY

Enjoy. Seeing Kyrie is worth the hassle! Not to mention getting to see most of the members of the current National Champions!:D

BlueThru&Thru
07-20-2010, 12:28 AM

Read my post. I didn't bold it and it was quote from J.P. Gilgio.

BlueThru&Thru
07-20-2010, 12:30 AM
First, let Bullock play in the ACC before you start comparing him to a Senior anyone.

Again, not my contention. A Gilgio quote.

ThePublisher
07-20-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm planning on head to the Pro-Am tonight. Driving from Gboro. Anyone have any news about who is supposed to show up? Via twitter or whatever means you have?
Thanks!

m g
07-20-2010, 12:55 PM
J.P. Giglio bleeds Carolina Blue... I stood behind him on press row during the 09 home game vs. UNC. In his play-by-play, he referred to all the UNC players by their first names and all of the Duke players by their last names (except Hansbrough, who was always "PT" or "Psycho T"). And if you read his stuff for the N&O, a pretty clear pattern emerges.

It's also worth noting that he wrote a line about the best thing the crazies did a full thirty minutes BEFORE the game started - and that same line, word for word, ended up in his recap.

airowe
07-20-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm planning on head to the Pro-Am tonight. Driving from Gboro. Anyone have any news about who is supposed to show up? Via twitter or whatever means you have?
Thanks!

http://dukehoop.blogspot.com/2010/07/dukes-players-at-nc-pro-am-tuesday-july.html

Also, looks like all the NC State guys will be there but Bullock, Marshall, and Henson are all expected to sit out. No word yet on Barnes.

The Gordog
07-20-2010, 01:14 PM

Sorry to be so snarky, but seriously, it's Jon as in short for Jonnathan.

Kedsy
07-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Sorry to be so snarky, but seriously, it's Jon as in short for Jonnathan.

Or possibly "Jonathan," if you truly want to be snarkily accurate.

roywhite
07-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Or possibly "Jonathan," if you truly want to be snarkily accurate.

Jonathan James Scheyer

He picked "Jon" after hearing "JJ" was taken :)

_TheFakeJWill_
07-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Any updates on the proam games tonight? i know Kyrie,Seth,Mason,Miles,Tyler,Josh are playing tonight per twitter.

Greg_Newton
07-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Sounds like Seth had an off night early on, but reports from various twitters are that Kyrie had 32, 6 assists and 5 steals in a win, and that Kelly had 25 and Dre 20 in a win over Mason (26), Thornton (12) and suprise guest Marshall (12).

Sounds like Kelly looked really good. I'm really excited that he seems to be coming out of his shell a little, and showing more of that dicing, attacking combo-forward game he had in high school. If he can carry over any of that confidence into the season, it will help him and us immensely.

Greg_Newton
07-20-2010, 09:51 PM
And now apparently NCSU is beating up on UNC 19-5 in the early going. That would sure be hilarious if it holds up.

Class of '94
07-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Does anyone know if Barnes is playing on the UNC team? Someone had mentinoned earlier that Henson and Bullock were sitting out tonight, but they weren't sure what Barnes was going to do.

MisterRoddy
07-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Alright guys, for updates these guys are gold:

Twitter.com/

- ncproam

- dukeblueplanet

- DukeHoopBlog (Airowe)

Many of our guys have already played but if you want to see how they did, check them out.

BTW- Class of '94, yes Harry is playing.

Bluedevil114
07-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Does anyone know if Barnes is playing on the UNC team? Someone had mentinoned earlier that Henson and Bullock were sitting out tonight, but they weren't sure what Barnes was going to do.

Barnes is playing.

DevilDan
07-21-2010, 01:07 AM
The emergence of Ryan (more than hinted at on this Summer League thread) could give Coach K yet another strong option. What about a starting lineup of Kyle/Miles/Ryan on the frontline, and Nolan/Kyrie in the backcourt? With Mason and Josh waiting to sub in at the 15min. mark .... uhhhh .... sound familiar?

Not to mention the 3-4 quality players waiting to get in to play on the perimeter .... ANOTHER reason I can't wait for NOVEMBER .... W-O-W ! !

Jderf
07-21-2010, 02:24 AM
Read my post. I didn't bold it and it was quote from J.P. Gilgio.

Realized that later as it was a bit tricky to read. I guess at Duke we use quotation marks when quoting people:D. In any case, I'd like to know what on earth Gilgio was basing it on...

MisterRoddy
07-21-2010, 02:27 AM
The emergence of Ryan (more than hinted at on this Summer League thread) could give Coach K yet another strong option. What about a starting lineup of Kyle/Miles/Ryan on the frontline, and Nolan/Kyrie in the backcourt? With Mason and Josh waiting to sub in at the 15min. mark .... uhhhh .... sound familiar?

Not to mention the 3-4 quality players waiting to get in to play on the perimeter .... ANOTHER reason I can't wait for NOVEMBER .... W-O-W ! !

Interesting scenario and perhaps Ryan has developed well enough to be a starter for this team but I would fully expect Mason to start barring injury. Ryan should get solid minutes off the bench though.

ThePublisher
07-21-2010, 02:52 AM
I saw all four games of the pro-am tonight.

Game 1: The only Duke guy was Curry, who was less than spectacular. It's almost like he was not into it. He probably missed his first 6 3's before hitting a couple. He did well at the point facilitating, but nothing great.

Game 2: -Irving is a man among children. He lackadaisically dropped a ton of points and stole the ball constantly, while playing the off guard and not running he court. He is unbelievable quick and in control. He can shoot 3's in your face. He can change direction in the air about a dozen times before he makes an easy layup. He is so smooth in everything. Just plain fantastic. Get excited. Frosh of the year? Yeah....
-Thornton also played this game and was pretty good. He is very strong and should be a good 4 year backup pg for us. Very much a defender/facilitator type PG.

Game 3: Best game of the night. Kelly, Dawkins and Hairston in black, Mason and surprise! Marshall Plumlee in white. High scoring and fast paced fun.
-Kelly may be fighting for a starting role as he has vastly improved over last year. Even my girlfriend commented on it tonight. His shot is much quicker, just a little flick of the wrist. Its like he is cheating shooting 3's b/c he is so tall and leans in to shoot. His rebounding, energy, strength and most importantly awareness have all improved. I wont be surprised if he steals Mason's starting spot at the 4.
-Dawkins was quite but still put up a lot of points. He didn't have the ball in his hands much. He had one 3 in particular from NBA range where he just dribbled in front of the defender and pulled up, in your face 3. Nice.
- Hairston is Thomas Jr. He is a hustler, he is scrappy. He will very much fill a role for next years team. His turn around fade away mid-range shot is sweet and smooth, unlike Thomas. He doesn't quite have the motor of Thomas, but could develop into that.
- Mason is a bit of a showoff. He was dribbling the ball all around the court and dunking on everyone. It was fun, but not practical for ACC play. He has improved his 3 shot, and can sky like crazy. Look for the highlight of his dunk where his elbow was practically in the rim. Insane.
- Marshall is going to be great for us. His offense needs to develop, but he has time. He has the same energy as the other MP's, and is very athletic. Not mason athletic, but for a 7-footer, he can fly.

Game 4: State took an early lead and was destroying UNC, 11-0, 23-10 and so on. This is until Leslie has to leave the court and go in the back with a trainer. He apparently dislocated his pinky from what I could see of him having a really crooked looking pinky. From that moment on, UNC ruled the game. State lost all energy and rhythm they were playing with. Leslie came back but fumbled half of the balls that came to him and looked to be in pain.
- Harrow is very fast. He is good at crossing over people and confusing defenders. He is, however, not even close to the talent Kyrie is. He left one guy in the front row. He is explosive and can jump out of the gym. I guarantee he would be a star, for an AND-1 mixtape. I'm not sure how is itty bitty frame and tricks are going to work in the ACc. He was rightfully snubbed from the McD's game b/c he is far from polished. The trio of fresh coming in for state are all very good together. I don't think they have to worry about chemistry between themselves, with the other state players is what I would question. I could see them playing backyard ball with each other, more than the team. That'll be up to Sid.
UNC's young guys are good. Barnes can turn it on at any time and score from anywhere on the court. He is going to have to work on his fade away mid range shot if Ol'roy expects him to play the 4 at all. CJ had a swat feast on a couple of times before he got hurt. Bullock is going to be my least favorite UNC player (well along with stretch armweak, Henson) because of his attitude. He flagrantly fouled Leslie after knowing he had been hurt. This is a summer league game! Who flagrantly fouls someone in one of these? Seriously. Henson can block shots, and... um... block shots. He still cant reliably score inside as he missed 4-5 foot shots all night long. Marshall didn't show up.

MisterRoddy
07-21-2010, 03:05 AM
I saw all four games of the pro-am tonight.

Game 1: The only Duke guy was Curry, who was less than spectacular. It's almost like he was not into it. He probably missed his first 6 3's before hitting a couple. He did well at the point facilitating, but nothing great.

Game 2: -Irving is a man among children. He lackadaisically dropped a ton of points and stole the ball constantly, while playing the off guard and not running he court. He is unbelievable quick and in control. He can shoot 3's in your face. He can change direction in the air about a dozen times before he makes an easy layup. He is so smooth in everything. Just plain fantastic. Get excited. Frosh of the year? Yeah....
-Thornton also played this game and was pretty good. He is very strong and should be a good 4 year backup pg for us. Very much a defender/facilitator type PG.

Game 3: Best game of the night. Kelly, Dawkins and Hairston in black, Mason and surprise! Marshall Plumlee in white. High scoring and fast paced fun.
-Kelly may be fighting for a starting role as he has vastly improved over last year. Even my girlfriend commented on it tonight. His shot is much quicker, just a little flick of the wrist. Its like he is cheating shooting 3's b/c he is so tall and leans in to shoot. His rebounding, energy, strength and most importantly awareness have all improved. I wont be surprised if he steals Mason's starting spot at the 4.
-Dawkins was quite but still put up a lot of points. He didn't have the ball in his hands much. He had one 3 in particular from NBA range where he just dribbled in front of the defender and pulled up, in your face 3. Nice.
- Hairston is Thomas Jr. He is a hustler, he is scrappy. He will very much fill a role for next years team. His turn around fade away mid-range shot is sweet and smooth, unlike Thomas. He doesn't quite have the motor of Thomas, but could develop into that.
- Mason is a bit of a showoff. He was dribbling the ball all around the court and dunking on everyone. It was fun, but not practical for ACC play. He has improved his 3 shot, and can sky like crazy. Look for the highlight of his dunk where his elbow was practically in the rim. Insane.
- Marshall is going to be great for us. His offense needs to develop, but he has time. He has the same energy as the other MP's, and is very athletic. Not mason athletic, but for a 7-footer, he can fly.

Thanks for the writeup, I suspect Seth's sprained ankle had something to do with his poor performance. I'm so excited that Ryan has developed so much from last year. It looks like our front court will be very potent as well as our highly touted back court. As for Hairston, I really wouldn't call Hairston Thomas Jr. as by the time Hairston is an upper classman, I would expect his offensive game to be much more advanced than Thomas' was his senior year. Thomas was a defensive stopper by every meaning of the term. Offense will probably play a much bigger role in Hairston's game.

MisterRoddy
07-21-2010, 03:33 AM
Here is Crazie Talk's video from the Pro-Am, enjoy.

http://www.crazie-talk.com/2010/07/20/video-duke-at-the-pro-am-720/

billyj
07-21-2010, 04:22 AM

:eek::eek::eek:

:D That would be awesome haha

billyj
07-21-2010, 04:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoNhWVCYEbk
Found another video.
Note: language may not be safe for work. also is that will smith in the crowd? :confused:

Kedsy
07-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Here is Crazie Talk's video from the Pro-Am, enjoy.

http://www.crazie-talk.com/2010/07/20/video-duke-at-the-pro-am-720/

I know it's a highlight reel from a pickup game, and I don't know what (if anything) to make of it, but from this video it looked like Mason and Ryan were attempting to guard each other and both failing big time.

I hope once the season starts they both work really hard on their defense, because to me the key to the season will be the D of Mason, Ryan, and Miles.

Another interesting thing is Mason's highlights almost all seemed to involve dribbling the length of the court (or at least from well beyond the top of the key), which is something he'll rarely be doing for Duke next year. Nor do I think he'll be showing off his "improved 3 shot" very often. I do expect him to get a whole lot of alley-oop dunks, however. I'm not sure whether he or Ryan will end up starting. Again, it will probably depend on defense.

Tyler Thornton seems like a very solid player from these videos, one who would probably be a decent rotation player right off the bat. It's a shame for him we're so crowded in the backcourt.

I'll say this, though, it would be amazing to get a chance to watch Duke's practices next season. Absolutely amazing.

TampaDuke
07-21-2010, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the summary. How has Ryan looked on the interior? Most of what I'm hearing from the write-ups, while encouraging as to his confidence and outside offensive game, doesn't say much about his interior defense and rebounding. I would think that those areas are likely to be the key to how many minutes he plays this coming year. I could be wrong, but I can't see us starting Miles and four perimeter players.

I guess it might be hard to tell from summer league games, but for those of you that have been able to watch the games, has Ryan been assertive in the interior?

DevilDan
07-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm thinking along the same lines of Kedsy... it kind of sounds like Mason is treating the Summer League as "showtime" -- and NOT working on some of the skills he could use this season. For just a second, it brings back thoughts of McRoberts -- all those dunks in the high school all-star games looked great, but when he arrived in Durham he didn't bring much of an offensive skill set (tho' he helped his teams in so many other ways).

I'd like to see Mason work on some near-the-basket moves, as he would be the likely go-to when Miles needs a breather at the "5", or gets in foul trouble. At the moment, Ryan appears to have twice the moves, a more consistent shot, and can put the ball to the floor from the 3or the 4 and score --something Mason has not shown so far .... if that theory holds, and Ryan can board and play good D, he may snare the start from MP2 ... Competition is a good thing, and I'm sure the first 3-4 weeks of practice this fall will be INTENSE ..!

Osiagledknarf
07-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know the official stats from last night?

roywhite
07-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks very much to The Publisher and others who have shared their insights from the Pro-Am.

Question on Ryan Harrow of NCSU....is Ish Smith a good comparison? Or does Harrow maybe have a chance to be better than that?

airowe
07-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm thinking along the same lines of Kedsy... it kind of sounds like Mason is treating the Summer League as "showtime" -- and NOT working on some of the skills he could use this season. For just a second, it brings back thoughts of McRoberts -- all those dunks in the high school all-star games looked great, but when he arrived in Durham he didn't bring much of an offensive skill set (tho' he helped his teams in so many other ways).

I'd like to see Mason work on some near-the-basket moves, as he would be the likely go-to when Miles needs a breather at the "5", or gets in foul trouble. At the moment, Ryan appears to have twice the moves, a more consistent shot, and can put the ball to the floor from the 3or the 4 and score --something Mason has not shown so far .... if that theory holds, and Ryan can board and play good D, he may snare the start from MP2 ... Competition is a good thing, and I'm sure the first 3-4 weeks of practice this fall will be INTENSE ..!

These games are showtime. There's no working on interior moves and defense. If Mason were to post up down low he'd never get the ball from the subpar guards he's playing with.

This is pickup basketball working on his interior footwork and positioning are what Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are for. Tuesdays and Thursdays are for goofing off and having fun.

Marshall was guarding Ryan for the most part and Ryan was just too quick with shoulder fakes and around the back dribles to be stopped. Yeah, I said shoulder fakes and around the back driblles when referring to Ryan Kelly. I saw him play in this last year and he's twice or three times the player he was then. The extra 20 pounds he's put on seems to have really boosted his confidence.

You can't take too much from these games and you certainly shouldn't expect some kind of practice or conditioning drills. These guys are out there to have fun. At least Mason actually cared about the game and almost carried his team back to victory. However, with 0 bench players they looked a little gassed by the end of the game.

roywhite
07-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Marshall was guarding Ryan for the most part and Ryan was just too quick with shoulder fakes and around the back dribles to be stopped. Yeah, I said shoulder fakes and around the back driblles when referring to Ryan Kelly. I saw him play in this last year and he's twice or three times the player he was then. The extra 20 pounds he's put on seems to have really boosted his confidence.

Even with the disclaimers about summer league pick-up action (which you rightly include in your writeup), I'm very pleased to hear about Ryan's development, both physically and in terms of confidence.

Relative to some other veterans (and Kyrie), Ryan has been flying under the radar somewhat when looking at Duke for next year. If he's a major contributor...wow.

Duke: A Dynasty
07-21-2010, 12:19 PM
I went to my first pro am game last night and heres what i thought.

Kyrie was as good as advertised. only problem was his turnovers but that may be due to the fact that he tried to do to much to excite the crowd. i expect he wouldn't try some of those things in acc play. 31 points by my count last night.

Seth Curry was a disappointment but ive heard he was injured and that may have affected his shot but he did a good job running the point even though he couldn't score.

Tyler Thornton was a good all around guy who worked hard, he will be a 4 yr player at Duke but didnt shine like the others.

Ryan Kelly was the big surprise to me last night. he was the only big guy on his team so he had to cover Mason and Marshall down low and did pretty good in the first 3 qtrs on them just because he never gave up on the plays. he hit 3s with ease, dunks like no1 was around him and great looking jump shot. he got 28 pts.

Mason and Marshall are to hard to judge by these games cause they tend to run they point.

Josh Hairston was also very unimpressive to me as he got pushed around way to much by just about everyone and he also did not shoot well.

Andre Dawkins was not flashy but he was effective. He hit 3s with easy and has the ability to drive it but doesn't seem to be aggressive enough.

other notable guys: Harrison Barnes was not that effective last night but you could tell he has a great feel for the game and can be force when he chooses. Ryan Harrow was completely dominant no matter who was in front of him, his change of direction was amazing along with his high jumps. Cj Leslie was doing really well till an injury took him out then he seemed to struggle holding the ball. biggest disappointment though was Reggie Bullock who was for the most part invisible, he just didn't do anything. And John Henson and Pj Hairston have attitude problems BAD. but Henson was blocking the mess outta people and Pj was scoring well.

flyingdutchdevil
07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
And John Henson and Pj Hairston have attitude problems BAD. but Henson was blocking the mess outta people and Pj was scoring well.

Henson may be my least favorite UNC player in the last 10 years. I'm not sure I've read anything positive about him. He just rubs me the wrong way - him mouthing off to Miles when we were up 28 points basically sealed the deal for me.

MChambers
07-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Henson may be my least favorite UNC player in the last 10 years. I'm not sure I've read anything positive about him. He just rubs me the wrong way - him mouthing off to Miles when we were up 28 points basically sealed the deal for me.

His sister is going to Duke, so he can't be all bad. Plus, in interviews, he actually comes across pretty well. Not that I like any UNC player, tho . . .

flyingdutchdevil
07-21-2010, 12:51 PM
His sister is going to Duke, so he can't be all bad. Plus, in interviews, he actually comes across pretty well. Not that I like any UNC player, tho . . .

IMO, a man who conducts himself on the court is more representative than a man in an organized interview.

With the sister thing, I'm banking on the fact that they aren't blood related ;)

magjayran
07-21-2010, 01:02 PM
This summer league is not the time for a big man to work on his low post moves. If you go into these games trying to play the traditional big man, the only touches you're getting are gonna be offensive rebounds and the occasional dump off when a guard decides to pad his assist stats. Mason and Ryan were really playing more the 3 mostly (and actually some 1 and 2) and both looked good doing it. I see Ryan as a true 4 that could cause real problems for a slower defender on the perimeter. Mason is a 4 as well but I could see him actually playing the 3 some day if he continues to work on his ball handling. He's very natural with the ball and can finish anytime he gets a lane to the basket. I think the new quicker pace is going to be highly beneficial for both of these guys.

Anyway, I haven't seen this video posted yet. From my position, I could see this play developing and it was all I could do not to jump out of my seat and run on to the floor after Mason threw it down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGdT6KC9gyc

JasonEvans
07-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Anyway, I haven't seen this video posted yet. From my position, I could see this play developing and it was all I could do not to jump out of my seat and run on to the floor after Mason threw it down.

Umm, he is almost looking down on the rim. Yikes!!

Worth noting, it appears that the guy who was --ahem-- "guarding" Mason on that play was Ryan Kelly. Still needs to work a bit on his D, methinks ;)

-Jason "not much D being played in these games, is there?" Evans

CDu
07-21-2010, 02:56 PM

It's just really hard to take too much from these games seriously, for a variety of reasons:
- The quality of players is highly variable. I mean, in one of the earlier videos, there appeared to be a 40-ish year old fat man playing in the game.
- As you note, there's minimal defense being played - certainly minimal team defense.
- There appears to be minimal gameplanning involved, which results in what appears to be a series of fast breaks and one-on-one moves. Basically, as someone else pointed out, it just looks like pickup basketball.

It's nice to see that Kelly looks bigger and more confident than he did in the pro-am last year. It's nice to see that Mason is still a ridiculous athlete. But beyond that, there's not a whole lot to take from these games.

DukieInBrasil
07-21-2010, 03:15 PM
But beyond that, there's not a whole lot to take from these games.

But Nick Horvath is gonna just be SICK this year, I mean did you see how stacked he is and how he is just dominating everyone and the way he threw it down on....oh wait, what are we talking about? Oh summer league basketball?

In all seriousness, I wish I could be there just to see the guys play, as I probably will never get to see a game in Cameron again, minus a fantastic gift from some kind-hearted stranger, ahem, cough, ahem ahem....

Greg_Newton
07-21-2010, 05:27 PM

:eek:

watzone
07-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Irving is at 21 and 5 assists, Josh Hairston is playing his best game yet with 16 tonight. Here is a KI interview I did with the help of Ken Tysiac of the Charlotte Observer. http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/07/kyrie-irving-talks-hoops-and-more/
Be sure to turn the volume down.

watzone
07-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Umm, he is almost looking down on the rim. Yikes!!

Worth noting, it appears that the guy who was --ahem-- "guarding" Mason on that play was Ryan Kelly. Still needs to work a bit on his D, methinks ;)

Well it's 99-92 with 2:06 left in Kyries game. Matador!

ACCBBallFan
07-22-2010, 08:18 PM
http://greaterncproambasketballleague.blogspot.com/

The NCProam blog has an interview with Seth Curry who says he enjoys talking trash when he is facing his teammates. Should get a chance to do that in 9 PM game when Dre and Ryan face Seth and Miles.

watzone
07-22-2010, 08:22 PM
The UNC and NCSU guys pulled no show at the Pro Am. Hairston scored 18 points tonight, KI cruised to 22 and 7 dimes. Tyler Thornton plays great on ball defense. His opponent threw an elbow and a fouled was called after he shadowed him the whole time he was in there. KI has a throng of kids following him for autographs. Looks like that's it for Dukies in the Pro Am tonight. Former Deacon Rodney Rodgers was honored tonight appearing at mid court in a wheel chair. For those who do not remember he had an accident which confined him to said wheel chair. Final was 110-96 and there was little defense in this one. FWIW, some games there is great D and others resemble the NBA All Star game. Irving did not play but a little over half the game and toyed with the opposition bringing the crowd to their feet on showboat assists and or dunks. I generally update on twitter from the event which is entertaining and free to the public

Newton_14
07-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks Mark. I liked what I saw of Josh Hairston the night I went. The one thing I noticed was he has great hands. He gets good extension when rising for rebounds and was great at securing the ball with one hand or two hands when he was rebounding in traffic. He also looks smoothe on offense though I know it will take time for him to develop into a scoring threat in college.

What are your thoughts on Josh? Do you feel he will be good enough to garner 15mpg this year and be in the rotation no matter who the opponent is? Or do you see him getting minutes similar to what we saw in Kelly last year with several DNP's?

Thanks!