PDA

View Full Version : El Sid coming to the University area of Charlotte

davekay1971
05-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Yeah, yeah, I know, it's Duke Basketball Report. Anyway, The Red Jacket is coming to Oehler's BBQ about a half mile from my house tomorrow night to give a Wolfpack Club talk. Tickets are pretty cheap and my wife and I (who are not Wolfpack Club members) bought a pair. If anyone else is interested, I think tickets are still available.

Two things:

1) I think it's just awesome and totally NC State appropriate that he's talking at a podunk little North Carolina BBQ place. BBQ! Hell yeah!

2) Any particular questions anyone on the board wants asked?

roywhite
05-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah, yeah, I know, it's Duke Basketball Report. Anyway, The Red Jacket is coming to Oehler's BBQ about a half mile from my house tomorrow night to give a Wolfpack Club talk. Tickets are pretty cheap and my wife and I (who are not Wolfpack Club members) bought a pair. If anyone else is interested, I think tickets are still available.

Two things:

1) I think it's just awesome and totally NC State appropriate that he's talking at a podunk little North Carolina BBQ place. BBQ! Hell yeah!

2) Any particular questions anyone on the board wants asked?

Not a question per se, but you might pass along to him that's it admirable that he has gone through hard times with his program and not thrown his own players under the bus. A real contrast to his neighbor in Chapel Hill.

I'm also curious to hear whether the addition of some good young guards will alter the Wolfpack style of offense.

Newton_14
05-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Not a question per se, but you might pass along to him that's it admirable that he has gone through hard times with his program and not thrown his own players under the bus. A real contrast to his neighbor in Chapel Hill.

I'm also curious to hear whether the addition of some good young guards will alter the Wolfpack style of offense.

To add to that. It is also admirable that he did not kick all of the Sendek recruits off the team in year one, and bring in a whole team of his recruits instead.

SupaDave
05-17-2010, 07:59 PM

Well you know he wants to run - and he's finally built for it.

However, I would like to know how he's involving former NCSU players. Del Negro could be a valuable asset to the program.

devildeac
05-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Oh, the NCSU coach. I thought you were talking about one of our newer posters:rolleyes:;).

Newton_14
05-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Oh, the NCSU coach. I thought you were talking about one of our newer posters:rolleyes:;).

Bout lost my cookies on that one! Hilarious!:p

Newton_14
05-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Well you know he wants to run - and he's finally built for it.

However, I would like to know how he's involving former NCSU players. Del Negro could be a valuable asset to the program.

Great point Supa. From talk amongst the locals Sid has done just that and is really trying to embrace former players and create the same basketball "family" atmosphere like Duke and unc have done. He needs to continue on that path.

Great point too on Del Negro. It would do Sid well to find a way to get Del Negro a spot on that bench.

I really hope State can bounce back and become a power again. (Just as long as they are always just a tick or two below Duke but above the Hucksters at the Hump where the Dump is)

davekay1971
05-18-2010, 10:04 PM

Lowe talked quite a bit, and answered some mighty redundant questions, along this line. In short, he definitely feels that the addition of Harrow and Brown will drastically alter the style of offense. He referred to them as being thoroughbreds that he could finally run with and said he was looking forward to really be able to force the pace, rather than play mainly half-court and run when there was an opportunity. He talked about the improved three point shooting that Brown would bring. He was very, very high on Brown. He also talked about how Wood and Smith would benefit from the increased offensive options, especially on the perimeter.

davekay1971
05-18-2010, 10:08 PM

Del Negro didn't come up by name. He did talk about making sure the history of the program was front and center. He's trying to involve the former Pack players as much as possible, especially those in North Carolina. Rodney Monroe specifically came up, who's currently the boy's basketball coach at Lake Norman Christian, I believe, and apparently has two sons.

roywhite
05-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Lowe talked quite a bit, and answered some mighty redundant questions, along this line. In short, he definitely feels that the addition of Harrow and Brown will drastically alter the style of offense. He referred to them as being thoroughbreds that he could finally run with and said he was looking forward to really be able to force the pace, rather than play mainly half-court and run when there was an opportunity. He talked about the improved three point shooting that Brown would bring. He was very, very high on Brown. He also talked about how Wood and Smith would benefit from the increased offensive options, especially on the perimeter.

Thanks for the followup and the report, davekay.

Glad to see NCSU on our schedule twice this coming year. Great stores for all 3 Triangle programs---the rise of State, will UNC bounce back, can Duke win the conference and contend again? The center of the college basketball universe for 2010-11 could well be in a 3-county region of the Old North State.

davekay1971
05-18-2010, 10:23 PM
A few points not related to questions above:

Lowe said very definitively that the method of recruiting that has landed him Harrow, Brown, and Leslie, will be yielding good recruiting classes coming up. He said he expects similar results in the 2011 and 2012 classes because of relationships formed with kids as high school freshmen and sophomores.

He said that he would be playing Tracy Smith more at the 4 this season. That surprised me, because I saw a lineup of Brown, Harrow, Wood, Leslie, and Smith. If he wants to put Smith at the 4, then Howell or Painter is going to be getting alot of time at the 5.

He was very happy about being "2 deep" at every position. Sounds like he intends to use a deep rotation and play up tempo as much as possible.

Most of the old white guys asking questions could have read DBR and known the answers.

On a personal note, Lowe was incredibly friendly, approachable, and kind. My 18 month old, Christina, ran up to him when he was walking by our table and he stopped and obviously enjoyed talking with her for a minute. At the end, he took a picture with Christina and my wife and signed a NC State picture frame for us. He took time chatting with everyone for a long time after the dinner and question and answer session, and was still there after we left.