PDA

View Full Version : No more Sunday Nite ACC Hoops?

Faustus
05-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Sounds as if this might be the case once the new contract with ESPN gets underway. I, for one, am fine with that. I never liked having those games on Sunday nights in the first place, and never thought the argument that it was good because it gave the conference "more exposure" carried much weight. The ACC (or at least us) got plenty of exposure as it was (in bball anyway, which is my concern) and will continue to for now. I'm no fan of the increasingly smarmy ESPN atmosphere either, but currently it's clearly the place to be, and if everything had gone over to Fox and the pretty capricious coverage Fox local outlets have shown ACC games in past years, this looks to me easily to have been the better option, even if Doug Gottleib and the guy with the lazy eye and etc. come attached. (I particularly won't miss those Sunday night horror shows down in Tallahassee.) As a cheap guy desperately trying to hang on to a simple basic cable package, I'm pleased with this decision. As for the future...?

P.S. Title should be ACC instead of CC ... doesn't seem to be a way to edit that...

should_be_working
05-17-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm just happy to finally get rid of the baseline camera shots that drove me crazy, and the muted sound that made you think you were watching a tennis match.

Bluedog
05-17-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm happy to not get blacked out by my local hockey game, which would happen sometimes for me on Sunday Night Hoops on FSN...ESPN is much more predictable.

1 24 90
05-17-2010, 12:05 PM
I would be glad for ACC Sunday Night Hoops to go away. I don't need game stress the night before the work week starts. I prefer to relax on Sunday evenings.

UrinalCake
05-17-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm still wrapping my head around these changes, but according to the article linked on the main page, Raycom should still be involved and Fox may continue to carry the sunday night game:

"Raycom Sports, a 30-year partner with the conference, is expected to continue running the syndicated package of football and basketball by sublicensing those games from ESPN."

"It remains to be seen if FSN will continue its Sunday night basketball programming by purchasing those games from ESPN in the new contract."

I like Raycom because they stream the games that they carry online. I can't get ESPN360, and Fox doesn't have an online feed.

Rich
05-17-2010, 12:55 PM
I can't get ESPN360

Renamed ESPN3.com.

While I agree Fox's production was lousy, their commentators (including G-Man) were very good, IMO.

airowe
05-17-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm just happy to finally get rid of the baseline camera shots that drove me crazy, and the muted sound that made you think you were watching a tennis match.

That's one thing ESPN does better than all the other channels.

I never understood the baseline camera angle either. It always felt like somebody filming on their iPhone in the worst seat in the house.

tteettimes
05-17-2010, 01:48 PM
I hope Erin Andrews will be part of the "coverage" :)
her contract is up for review/renew in July
however she may decide to further her career via other avenues
she really is tall and can dance too :D

left_hook_lacey
05-17-2010, 02:48 PM
I was actually fan of the Sunday night hoops idea. The Fox coverage wasn't great, but it was better than Raycom IMO.

But I always liked the idea of getting one more basketball fix to cap off the weekend. I didn't like it as good when the game I was most interested in was the late game, but I still watched. It gave me a chance to catch up on the standings of the ACC and focus on this team or that team to see what they were working with. It's hard for me to keep up with all the other ACC teams on Saturday's especially during college football season.

elvis14
05-17-2010, 03:33 PM
I would be glad for ACC Sunday Night Hoops to go away. I don't need game stress the night before the work week starts. I prefer to relax on Sunday evenings.

I like the Sunday night games. Saturday's are often too hectic to watch the games live (thank you DVR). But then, I don't see watching the games as 'stress'. I actually like watching the games and think watching the Blue Devils is a great way to start the week (especially when we win) :D

strawbs
05-17-2010, 03:37 PM
i don't care if they have the sunday night games or not. just as long as i get the same amount of duke games on national television.

moonpie23
05-17-2010, 03:50 PM
show me which button deletes RAYCOM......

i'll push it...

sagegrouse
05-17-2010, 03:55 PM
show me which button deletes RAYCOM......

i'll push it...

The issue with Raycom is that it enforced territorial blackouts extending into the Rocky Mountain states, which is 1,000 miles or more from its natural territory of the Southeast. Now, I am sure that this is all part of a behind-the-scenes war to get DirecTV to pay more or carry more games on Full court. But I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, when a good ACC game is subject to a regional blackout half a continent away.

sagegrouse

jv001
05-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Hope Duke does not play on one Sunday night game this year. Church begins at 6pm and I don't get home until 8:30 or 9pm.. Have to set the DVR and hope no ones tells me the outcome ahead of time. Go Duke!

Cameron
05-17-2010, 04:37 PM
This is unfortunate if true. The Sunday Night Hoops package as a whole, especially the announcers such as the G-Man and Tim Brando, are a great diversion from the usual ESPN hacks. Jim Dykes, anyone?

Although Duke games often generate some stress -- for an almost pathological fan such as me, it's inevitable -- count me in the camp that thoroughly enjoys watching the Blue Devils in action. I live for game day, and Sunday nights have always been such an exciting cap to the weekend when Duke's on.

Hopefully, ESPN doesn't screw this up, which, also inevitably, it will. That network is the colossus of the castle in terms of screwing up game scheduling, start times and missing prime action. FSN, despite the camera angles and sound complaints some here have grappled with, has always done one thing right: scheduling. The two and a half hour time slots for games, what a novel idea.

Cameron
05-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Hope Duke does not play on one Sunday night game this year. Church begins at 6pm and I don't get home until 8:30 or 9pm.. Have to set the DVR and hope no ones tells me the outcome ahead of time. Go Duke!

Maybe it's time you switch denominations. ;)

roywhite
05-17-2010, 04:42 PM
The issue with Raycom is that it enforced territorial blackouts extending into the Rocky Mountain states, which is 1,000 miles or more from its natural territory of the Southeast. Now, I am sure that this is all part of a behind-the-scenes war to get DirecTV to pay more or carry more games on Full court. But I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, when a good ACC game is subject to a regional blackout half a continent away.

sagegrouse

I remember with fondness the old "Sail with the Pilot" ads and liked the broadcast crew of Packer, Thacker, and Bones. No doubt C.D. Chessley and original advertisers like Pilot Life Insurance were key in the ACC achieving prominence and developing their media package.

I wonder if that legacy hasn't been about the only thing going for Raycom and that the ACC might be better served to make other arrangements?

jv001
05-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Maybe it's time you switch denominations. ;)

It's not the denomination, but the preaching of God's Word that won't let me change. Go Duke!

Cameron
05-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Just giving you a hard time:) It's great that you choose to preach God's word at all hours, to reach every man. I just happen to prefer listening to God's Word in the morning and then cheering on the Devil's in the evening:)

And every Tar Heel went to Hell!

jacone21
05-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Hopefully, ESPN doesn't screw this up, which, also inevitably, it will. That network is the colossus of the castle in terms of screwing up game scheduling, start times and missing prime action. FSN, despite the camera angles and sound complaints some here have grappled with, has always done one thing right: scheduling. The two and a half hour time slots for games, what a novel idea.

Yep. Prepare for even more instances of missing the start of the game while the bottom line scroll reminds you that "Program Alert! Up Next (1) Duke vs Virginia!"

Some things in life are inescapable, and that Bottom Line is one of them.

chrisheery
05-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Yep. Prepare for even more instances of missing the start of the game while the bottom line scroll reminds you that "Program Alert! Up Next (1) Duke vs Virginia!"

Some things in life are inescapable, and that Bottom Line is one of them.

That is true, but at least I can get ESPN. Fox Sports Net is not part of many cable packages and I had to watch all of those games through other means this year. Looking forward to something my TIVO can find and trust.

That, and the fact that Fox Sports production of college basketball games is awful, should make next year much better for ACC hoops for us, the viewers.

TruBlu
05-17-2010, 07:27 PM
If this is really the end of Sunday night games, great! They make getting back to Atlanta in time for work on Monday really difficult. Stock prices for "5Hour Energy" drinks will fall drastically!

-jk
05-17-2010, 08:20 PM
If this is really the end of Sunday night games, great! They make getting back to Atlanta in time for work on Monday really difficult. Stock prices for "5Hour Energy" drinks will fall drastically!

Not to go PPB, but I feel your pain.

-jk

Newton_14
05-17-2010, 08:51 PM
The local Adam Gold show today had some guy on from the ACC Business Journal? I think that is what he said anyway. The guy was a lawyer and was going over some of the high points of the new deal.

He thinks the Sunday Night games are now history. He stated the coaches hate the Sunday Night games and said ESPN would likely end that. But, then he turned around and said ESPN would sell some of the games to syndication likely to Raycom. Like RoyWhite I grew up watching ACC games on JeffersonPilot Raycom with Packer/Thacker/Bones. Those were the good ol days.

I am happy as long as all of the Duke games are on TV. I do worry about missing some of the starts though. That is the only downside for me. That and possibly missing out on G-Man and Brando. Hopefully those two find a way to get a few games that ESPN sells.

roywhite
05-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Not seeing a game, esp. Duke games, in it's entirety due to a tight schedule and a preceding game that runs long is a pet peeve. ESPN has the capability to eliminate the overlap of telecasts with use of their other channels (ESPN-News, ESPN-Classic, etc.) and their overflow channels (channels 210, 211 on DirecTV).

Is that sort of thing in the agreement between the ACC and ESPN? Don't know, probably not. But it seems like a reasonable area to address, especially with the value of this package.

Newton_14
05-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Not seeing a game, esp. Duke games, in it's entirety due to a tight schedule and a preceeding game that runs long is a pet peeve. ESPN has the capability to eliminate the overlap of telecasts with use of their other channels (ESPN-News, ESPN-Classic, etc.) and their overflow channels (channels 210, 211 on DirecTV).

Is that sort of thing in the agreement between the ACC and ESPN? Don't know, probably not. But it seems like a reasonable area to address, especially with the value of this package.

That's the worst part. All they have to do is either A. Show the start of the new game on one of the alternate channels like ESPN-News for example, so viewers of the new game can see the start or B. Move the game that is running over to one of the alternate channels, or C. Schedule games a minimum of 2 hours and 15 minutes apart.

They have many options to choose from, yet they insist on doing nothing or showing the start of the new game on ESPN360 which many folks including myself cannot get.

It's senseless...

lotusland
05-17-2010, 09:18 PM
I watch online and 360 is the best by far. Raycom is terrible. I didn't make it through a single Raycom boadcast without losing the stream and then not being able to log back in. Also they don't show the score and clock most of the time. At least that loud mouth baffoon Billy Packer is gone. Fox does not stream at all so I prefer ESPN to carry as many as possble on whatever night the games are played.

It also seems strange to me how CBS has such a great setup for streaming the tournament but they don't stream the regular season games at all. Is CBS still in the mix? Do they have the tournament again next year?

Indoor66
05-17-2010, 09:35 PM
I remember with fondness the old "Sail with the Pilot" ads and liked the broadcast crew of Packer, Thacker, and Bones. No doubt C.D. Chessley and original advertisers like Pilot Life Insurance were key in the ACC achieving prominence and developing their media package.

I wonder if that legacy hasn't been about the only thing going for Raycom and that the ACC might be better served to make other arrangements?

Yeah. I well remember the Saturday ACC Game of the Week - the only time you saw baskeball on TV in the SE! I seem to remember those games in 1960, but it might have been a little after that. Maybe someone else recalls when they started.

roywhite
05-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Yeah. I well remember the Saturday ACC Game of the Week - the only time you saw baskeball on TV in the SE! I seem to remember those games in 1960, but it might have been a little after that. Maybe someone else recalls when they started.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/121907aaa.html

Who better to tell the story than that Jim Sumner guy. :)

So Chesley knew his way around the nascent world of college sports on television. But what he did in March 1957 practically defies belief. In less than a week after North Carolina advanced to the final weekend in Kansas City, Chesley paid the NCAA for rights, acquired equipment, found sponsors, and put together a network of five North Carolina stations to show UNC's games from Kansas City.

Chesley was emboldened. That May he founded the C.D. Chesley Network and convinced the ACC to carry a dozen basketball games, Saturday afternoons, regular-season only; the ACC didn't broadcast the ACC Tournament title game until 1964. Chesley spent the summer driving up and down the four states that comprised the ACC. By the time he had finished, he had come up with 20 stations willing to carry the games. Chesley also signed Pilot Life Insurance Company as the anchor sponsor. Generations of mid-South basketball fans would grow up knowing at least some of the words to its theme song, "Sail with the Pilot."

Thanks to Jim for the great work he does on the history of ACC college basketball.

Newton_14
05-17-2010, 09:56 PM
http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/121907aaa.html

Who better to tell the story than that Jim Sumner guy. :)

Thanks to Jim for the great work he does on the history of ACC college basketball.

Thanks for the info Roy. Lots of history there. Remember the "Holly Farms Chicken" MVP of the game? Quick story, my father (God rest his confused soul) was a huge unc fan and worshipped the ground Dean walked on. My sister joined him in those ranks and my brother and I were with "The Dukes" as Bob Knight would say.

Anyway as a kid in the 70's it was torture watching unc win all the time and the 4 Corners was their big weapon in those days. So, the heels would win yet another game with Phil Ford milking the game away with the 4 Corners. With about a minute to go in each game I would look at my dad and say "Well I guess Ford is going to get the "chicken" award again since like always they are scared to play ball so they hold it all the time"

Dad would get mad but that was about all I had to rib him about back then. Until of course, the tourney came and they choked away yet another title. Al Mcquire always said that Dean gave him that title in 77 when he made the fatal mistake of going to the 4 Corners too soon and Marquette came back and beat them. Still my all time favorite unc loss without Duke being the winning team.

-jk
05-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Sail With the Pilot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HznVEfzaEl8)

-jk

rfaison
05-17-2010, 11:56 PM
OMG, does that every bring back memories. "Sail with the pilot" and the Pabst Blue Ribbon jingle ... something like "I've got Pabst Blue Ribbon on my mind ..." have stuck with me for jeez is it really 30 years??? Was the RA in Giles for 2 years including the run to the Final Four in '78 and have such fond memories of watching many a game (and hating how Packer & Thacker always seems to favor UNC and the apparently god-like Mike O'Koren) in the lounge there. We'd sing along lustily to these two commercials.

I especially remember that classic game w/UNC when Carolina stalled from the start and we led 7-0 at halftime. I think being able to expend our frustrations by singing these at the top of our voices may have kept us from losing our minds.

Don't know if they actually ran these ads during the Final Four semi-final vs. Notre Dame (w/Digger Phelps and Kelly Tripuka) but that game remains a vivid memory all these many decades later.

WiJoe
05-17-2010, 11:57 PM
The thing that will bother me most is the fact that on FOX games, even if there were 60 fouls and the game ended 160-154 in five OTs (OK, sorry, over the top), it still fit into the two-hour window. On espn, it always seems the game before the DUKE game, even if there are ZERO fouls and no free throws, the game lasts 2:20 or 2:30 and we end up missing the first half of the DUKE game. Barf.

throatybeard
05-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Most coverage, irrespective of network, is bad quality, but it's basketball--it has a lot of bad announcers--whatever. I'm worried about this because the Fox games got carried nationally, mostly, far more than Raycom games. I think we may end up with fewer games on the tube outside ACC country. I am not a fan of 360 and their 2m delayed feed.

Cameron
05-18-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm worried about this because the Fox games got carried nationally, mostly, far more than Raycom games. I think we may end up with fewer games on the tube outside ACC country. I am not a fan of 360 and their 2m delayed feed.

This is one of the concerns I have, too. I think many here -- the ones riding ESPN's wave -- will be changing their tune in the future.

Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.