PDA

View Full Version : DBR Community, I beseech your help...

RelativeWays
05-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Okay its not exactly a Duke topic (at all) but I figure some of you here may know the answer to this question, particularly those of you who have lived in NC for a while. Out of the entire UNC system, why is Chapel Hill the only one that has a football team? Is it something written in the charter that states that the satellite schools cannot have one? I know money may seem like the obvious answer but I'm not sure. In Greensboro alone, Guilford College and Greensboro College have football teams, but there is now way in hell they have more money than UNC-Greensboro. Money certainly can't be a problem for UNC-Charlotte which has one of the largest campuses, but no football team. Anyone know? This doesn't seem to be an issue for the other state universities like App, NCSU, Western Carolina and ECU.

jimsumner
05-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Not sure what you mean by UNC system. North Carolina State isn't called UNC-Raleigh but it is part of the UNC system. East Carolina is part of the system.

UNC-Greensboro was founded as a woman's school. By the time UNC-W and UNC-C came along, there were so many established programs that it was pretty hard for a newbie to get a toehold. UNNC also has significant competition from an NFL team, not to mention an NBA team and NASCAR.

The state of North Carolina has five D-1 programs. Georgia, which has almost the exact population as NC, has two. So it's not like there's a pressing need here.

-jk
05-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Um. There are a lot of campuses in the UNC system not called UNC-something.

http://www.northcarolina.edu/content.php/system/campuslinks.htm

-jk

RelativeWays
05-23-2007, 05:47 PM
I should have been more specific. The schools that have the UNC prefix such as Asheville, Wilmington, Greensboro and Charlotte, none of them have a football team. I'm not saying there is a need necessarily. I'm wondering if one of the schools, such as UNC-Charlotte wanted one, would they be prevented from having one. I'm aware that all the state universities are affiliated.

jimsumner
05-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Don't put too much emphasis on school names.

To answer your original question. No.

In fact, UNCC is thinking about testing the waters.

http://www.publicrelations.uncc.edu/default.asp?id=15&objId=208

Indoor66
05-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Also there is Western Carolina, Appalachian, East Carolina, NC State, North Carolina Central, Winston-Salem State, Fayetteville State - all part of the UNC system and playing football.