I basically agree.

I'd say:

Kyrie: 14 pts, 5 assists
Nolan: 16 pts, 3 assists
Singler: 18 pts, 7 reb
Mason: 8 pts, 6 reb
Miles: 7 pts, 8 reb

Seth: 13 pts, 3 assists

That adds up to 76 pts/game. Add in Dawkins, Kelly, Hairston and everyone else and I'm guessing we average right around 90 pts/game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Seth ended up being the 3rd leading scorer.

hedevil
05-16-2010, 02:08 AM
This is basically an impossible equation at this point with all the unknown factors, but I'll give it my best try.

Kyrie: 11ppg, 6apg
Nolan: 15ppg, 4apg
Seth: 9ppg, 3apg
Kyle: 18ppg, 8rpg
Miles: 8ppg, 8rpg

Mason: 9ppg, 9rpg
Dre: 7ppg
Ryan: 4ppg
Hairston, Felix, TT, combined 5ppg

I think Duke will average around 86 points per game, give or take.

Starter
05-16-2010, 02:31 AM
I think Hedevil has the lineup right and most of the stats on point. I'd put Kyrie's scoring at around 14 and Seth at 13. It'll be a balanced attack next season to be certain.

MarkD83
05-16-2010, 09:15 AM
After seeing highlight films of Kyrie Irving I would add 1.3 bapg

Cisco
05-16-2010, 10:13 AM
1.3 bapg ?

blocked attempts ?

DoubleDuke Dad
05-16-2010, 11:22 AM
1.3 bapg ?

blocked attempts ?

Broken Ankles!

MarkD83
05-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Broken Ankles!

DoubleDuke Dad wins the prize!! By the way this average will be doubled against UNC because one of the highlights I saw was againast Kendall Marshall.

Big Pappa
05-16-2010, 12:36 PM
I basically agree.

I'd say:

Kyrie: 14 pts, 5 assists
Nolan: 16 pts, 3 assists
Miles: 7 pts, 8 reb

Seth: 13 pts, 3 assists

That adds up to 76 pts/game. Add in Dawkins, Kelly, Hairston and everyone else and I'm guessing we average right around 90 pts/game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Seth ended up being the 3rd leading scorer.

I like it for the most part but I think you (and the rest of the posters on this thread) are undercutting Mason. I see it more like this:

Kyrie: 12 pts, 7 assists
Nolan: 15 pts, 3 assists
Mason: 13 pts, 8 reb
Miles: 6 pts, 8 reb

Seth: 12pts, 3 assists
Dre: 6 pts, 2 assists
Kelly: 4 pts, 3 reb
Hairston: 2pts, 4 reb
Carrick and TT: 2 pts, 2 reb, 2 assists

sagegrouse
05-16-2010, 04:32 PM
No way Kyrie averages 14 PPG. As the point guard, he gets to pass the ball. Who are the recipients? How about, Kyle and Nolan, who are big-time scorers? And how about Andre and Seth, who are big-time shooters and, probably, also big-time scorers?

He's gonna pass the ball, but I'm not sure it's coming back. :)

sagegrouse

COYS
05-16-2010, 04:42 PM
No way Kyrie averages 14 PPG. As the point guard, he gets to pass the ball. Who are the recipients? How about, Kyle and Nolan, who are big-time scorers? And how about Andre and Seth, who are big-time shooters and, probably, also big-time scorers?

He's gonna pass the ball, but I'm not sure it's coming back. :)

sagegrouse

I agree. Nolan's minutes may go down a bit this season, but they won't go down too much and the increased pace of play will probably come close to making up for the fewer minutes played. I think his scoring average will stay the same or close to the same and is more likely to increase by a point than it is to decrease all the way to 15 per game or below. He's going to get even more end of game free throw opportunities than he got this past year now that Scheyer is gone. Kyle's scoring may go up a tick, as well, with more possessions per game. I also see him as, yet again, the most unique player on our team who K will want to keep on the floor as much as possible. Kyrie will have the keys to the offense, but I'd be surprised if that means that he scores more than he passes.

I also agree with those that say that Mason's being sold short a bit in these projections. He's going to be beating opposing big men down the floor for easy scores all season long. Give him increased minutes, a few more opportunities to score, and a few plays where we run the offense for him and I see him cracking double figures (maybe just a hair short).

BleedsP287
05-16-2010, 06:30 PM
I pretty much agree with everyone else's estimates. I have a sneaking suspicion that Nolan is going to be the leading scorer though. I think Singler and Kyrie are next, in that order. I hope Mason comes on strong, I'm not convinced he will yet, but if he and Kyrie and Seth can live up to expectations we will be an excellent team.

MisterRoddy
05-16-2010, 06:47 PM
What do you think each player will average in the 2010 season? My predictons

G - Kyrie Irving; 14 ppg, 2 rpg, 7 apg, 1 spg
G - Nolan Smith; 18 ppg, 3 rpg, 3 apg
F - Kyle Singler; 18 ppg, 7 rpg
F - Mason Plumlee; 11 ppg, 8 rpg, 2 bpg
F - Miles Plumlee; 9 ppg, 8 rpg, 2 bpg

G - Seth Curry; 8 ppg, 3 apg
G - Andre Dawkins; 6 ppg
F - Ryan Kelly; 5 ppg, 3 rpg, 1 bpg
F - Joshua Hairston; 3 ppg, 2 rpg

G - Kyrie Irving: 13 ppg, 3 rpg, 8 apg, 2 spg
G - Nolan Smith: 15 ppg, 3 rpg, 3 apg
F - Kyle Singler: 16 ppg, 6 rpg, 2 apg
F - Mason Plumlee: 9 ppg, 7 rpg, 2 apg, 2 bpg
F - Miles Plumlee: 6 ppg, 9 rpg, 1 apg, 1 bpg

G - Seth Curry: 10 ppg, 1 rpg, 3 apg
G- Andre Dawkins: 8 ppg, 1 rpg, 2 apg
F - Josh Hairston: 5 ppg, 3 rpg, 1 apg
F - Ryan Kelly: 6 ppg, 1 rpg, 2 apg

With the addition of Irving, and Curry and hopeful development by Dawkins, I dont see Smith/Singler having to score as many points as last year.

Big Pappa
05-16-2010, 09:29 PM
F - Mason Plumlee; 11 ppg, 8 rpg, 2 bpg

Mason: 9ppg, 9rpg

I really think you guys are underestimating Mason. IMO he is going to have a HUGE year. I see him averaging a double-double. I know I said 13 and 8 earlier but honestly I think it will be closer to 14 and 10.

chrisheery
05-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Really? I think you can count on one hand the number of guys in Duke history (under Coach K) who averaged a double double for the entire season. I'd even let you count G-man and I don't know if you could get over 5.

Clipsfan
05-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Coach K is on the record as saying that he thinks Nolan is going to really improve next year, which suggests to me that scoring will pick up along with the rest of his game. I really just don't see his points regressing as he possibly becomes the primary scoring threat on the team. Sure, fewer minutes will impact the average but the projected pace of play would more than make up for that.

Big Pappa
05-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Really? I think you can count on one hand the number of guys in Duke history (under Coach K) who averaged a double double for the entire season. I'd even let you count G-man and I don't know if you could get over 5.

I'm not sure but I know that Shelden did it twice (04'-05' and 05'-06'), but I do know that the farther back you go the harder it will be to find someone because of the shot attempts per game. With the fast-paced style I believe we will run next year I think it can happen. Hopefully we will be quoting this at the end of next year after he averaged 18 and 12 and was an All-American :D. Although that (<-) may be a little far-fetched I really can see him averaging 14 and 10.

chrisheery
05-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Although that (<-) may be a little far-fetched I really can see him averaging 14 and 10.

I hope you are right. That would be incredible, but I would be pretty amazed. Especially because I think we will go small at times and I am expecting Mason will average around 25 minutes per game. 14 and 10 in 25 minutes would be just amazing.

MisterRoddy
05-16-2010, 10:15 PM
I really think you guys are underestimating Mason. IMO he is going to have a HUGE year. I see him averaging a double-double. I know I said 13 and 8 earlier but honestly I think it will be closer to 14 and 10.

As much as I hope that you are right, I honestly dont see him averaging that much in only his sophmore year.

Here are some things to remember:

- Mason will probably be the 4th option on Duke's roster (behind Singler, Smith, and Irving) who are all expected to be posting doubvle digits points. It's pretty rare for a team to have 4 double digit scorers in college basketball. (I think there was a discussion on this before)

- He has shown that he isnt really a back-to-the-basket type player that has a decent amount of post moves. Mason is a face-up guy that gets his points more on alley-oops, second chance points, and mis-matches. Those can only get you so many points.

- He's a sophmore. Yes, I know he was highly touted. But you got to remember this kid is young and needs to develop more to expect big numbers (such as 14 and 10) from this guy. Cole Aldrich was known by some as the best center in the NCAA last year and he averaged only 11.3 points as the second option on the 2nd best team :)

As much as I hope you are right... I just don't see him putting up huge numbers...I do however, see him making a noticeable improvement from last year and while visually, he will be a great player for us, I dont think he will exactly light up the stat sheet.

FireOgilvie
05-16-2010, 10:23 PM

I hope that happens, but even in his best game last year he had only 9 rebounds. He has a ton of potential, but he's never shown anything that makes me think he can average 10 rebounds/game. I could actually see Miles getting close this year though.

chrisheery
05-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Come to think of it, I am not even sure he averaged more than 10 rebounds per game in high school.

Big Pappa
05-16-2010, 11:47 PM
As much as I hope that you are right, I honestly dont see him averaging that much in only his sophmore year.

Here are some things to remember:

- Mason will probably be the 4th option on Duke's roster (behind Singler, Smith, and Irving) who are all expected to be posting doubvle digits points. It's pretty rare for a team to have 4 double digit scorers in college basketball. (I think there was a discussion on this before)

- He's a sophmore. Yes, I know he was highly touted. But you got to remember this kid is young and needs to develop more to expect big numbers (such as 14 and 10) from this guy. Cole Aldrich was known by some as the best center in the NCAA last year and he averaged only 11.3 points as the second option on the 2nd best team :)

I know it's no guarantee, but predicting sure things on this board is boring. I do have to disagree with your two bolded points. I do think he will be the fourth option (possibly tied for third with KI) but it isn't all that rare for a team to have four guys average double digits. You only have to look back to the 07'-08' team at Duke who had 5 guys average over 11.

I also don't think you can call Cole Kansas' second option when he was their 4th leading scorer (yes they also had 4 guys in double digits) and was 50 shot attempts behind the person who had the third most shot attempts. He may have gone into the season as the favorite to be their second option, but it certainly didn't end up that way.

Big Pappa
05-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Come to think of it, I am not even sure he averaged more than 10 rebounds per game in high school.

He averaged 15.3 and 10.1 as a senior and 12.8 and 10.5 as a junior.

MisterRoddy
05-16-2010, 11:56 PM
I know it's no guarentee, but predicting sure things on this board is boring. I do have to disagree with your two bolded points. I do think he will be the fourth option (possibly tied for third with KI) but it isn't all that rare for a team to have four guys average double digits. You only have to look back to the 07'-08' team at Duke who had 5 guys average over 11.

I also don't think you can call Cole Kansas' second option when he was their 4th leading scorer (yes they also had 4 guys in double digits) and was 50 shot attempts behind the person who had the third most shot attempts. He may have gone into the season as the favorite to be their second option, but it certainly didn't end up that way.

Well, it must not be that rare. I guess I was thinking more of the specific situation and more that its rare to have 4 guys averaging 14+ ... but then again, I'm not positive about that either.

Also, even if Cole wasn't the second option, he was the fourth option (as Mason is expected to be) and only averaged 11 during his senior year. Hopefully, Mason can out-perform, but its not gonna be easy.

COYS
05-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Well, it must not be that rare. I guess I was thinking more of the specific situation and more that its rare to have 4 guys averaging 14+ ... but then again, I'm not positive about that either.

Also, even if Cole wasn't the second option, he was the fourth option (as Mason is expected to be) and only averaged 11 during his senior year. Hopefully, Mason can out-perform, but its not gonna be easy.

Starting with our 1997-98 team we went on a stretch all the way through the 2002 year that every team had at least four players in double figures. Carawell was .1ppg away from averaging 10 in 1998-1999 which would've given us six double digit scorers . . . and actually, Battier was .9 ppg away from giving us seven. 14ppg plus for more than three guys might be tough, but if we play at a fast enough pace (and it seems like we will given our personnel and what K has hinted at so far and it will almost certainly be faster than Kansas this past year), having four guys at 12+ is not far fetched at all and possibly having five in double figures is also possible. Mason is a unique player who has great passing ability and scoring ability from the high post. I think he'll be able to create more space for himself in the high post this season and, with a summer of development and an offensive set that will probably be a little bit more spread out, I think we'll see him blossom. I definitely think he can reach double figures.

MisterRoddy
05-17-2010, 12:48 AM
Starting with our 1997-98 team we went on a stretch all the way through the 2002 year that every team had at least four players in double figures. Carawell was .1ppg away from averaging 10 in 1998-1999 which would've given us six double digit scorers . . . and actually, Battier was .9 ppg away from giving us seven. 14ppg plus for more than three guys might be tough, but if we play at a fast enough pace (and it seems like we will given our personnel and what K has hinted at so far and it will almost certainly be faster than Kansas this past year), having four guys at 12+ is not far fetched at all and possibly having five in double figures is also possible. Mason is a unique player who has great passing ability and scoring ability from the high post. I think he'll be able to create more space for himself in the high post this season and, with a summer of development and an offensive set that will probably be a little bit more spread out, I think we'll see him blossom. I definitely think he can reach double figures.

Going back 12-7 years ago doesn't unprove something to be rare. Those Duke teams were great. I'm pretty sure that run UCLA went on with National Championships that spanned about a decade was rare but you dont see anybody saying that its not rare just because they did it for an extended period of time. I already concieted that it wasnt rare in respone to BP's post, who actually did give good evidence about it not being rare. (Although it is amazing how many guys we had at or close to DF's those seasons)

I agree with you that Mason will blossom and I didn't say he wasnt going to reach double figs, just 14 ppg. I had him at 9 and 1 or 2 more per game is not so far fetched to me. 5 is a different story. I just think itd be hard for Mason to average 14 with Kyle, Nolan, Kyrie, Seth, and Andre on the same team, not to mention his own brother who has a year's more experience and an actuall post up game. Hope he does get 14 and 10, but I just dont see it.

atldukie68
05-17-2010, 08:37 AM
G - Kyrie Irving: 13 ppg, 3 rpg, 8 apg, 2 spg
G - Nolan Smith: 15 ppg, 3 rpg, 3 apg
F - Kyle Singler: 16 ppg, 6 rpg, 2 apg
F - Miles Plumlee: 6 ppg, 9 rpg, 1 apg, 1 bpg

G - Seth Curry: 10 ppg, 1 rpg, 3 apg
G- Andre Dawkins: 8 ppg, 1 rpg, 2 apg
F - Josh Hairston: 5 ppg, 3 rpg, 1 apg
F - Ryan Kelly: 6 ppg, 1 rpg, 2 apg

With the addition of Irving, and Curry and hopeful development by Dawkins, I dont see Smith/Singler having to score as many points as last year.

-----------

I like this spread. I would take 2 ppg from Josh and give 1 ppg to Nolan and 1 ppg to Ryan. I think Ryan is going to score some points at 18 minutes per game...

atldukie68
05-17-2010, 08:38 AM
-----------

I like this spread. I would take 2 ppg from Josh and give 1 ppg to Nolan and 1 ppg to Ryan. I think Ryan is going to score some points at 18 minutes per game...

And I hope at least 3 rpg for Ryan playing backup at the 4. If not, that's an issue.

airowe
05-17-2010, 09:56 AM
G - Kyrie Irving: 8 apg

Wow. That's a ton of dimes being dropped. Who was the last Duke PG to tally 8 apg?

MisterRoddy
05-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Wow. That's a ton of dimes being dropped. Who was the last Duke PG to tally 8 apg?

I believe Boiby Hurley was close to 8 per for his career. While it will be difficult, I think Kyrie is up to the task

basket1544
05-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Bobby averaged 7.7, J Will had 6 per game for his career. The way everyone is talking, I think Kyrie should average somewhere around 6 to 8 (although maybe not that high for his freshman year). If he is passing it off that much though, I don't think he will average double figures in points.
I think Kyle, Nolan, Mason, Seth and Andre will be our high scorers. Miles has some nice post moves and a good 12-15 foot jumper, but he doesn't look to take many shots.

MisterRoddy
05-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Bobby averaged 7.7, J Will had 6 per game for his career. The way everyone is talking, I think Kyrie should average somewhere around 6 to 8 (although maybe not that high for his freshman year). If he is passing it off that much though, I don't think he will average double figures in points.
I think Kyle, Nolan, Mason, Seth and Andre will be our high scorers. Miles has some nice post moves and a good 12-15 foot jumper, but he doesn't look to take many shots.

I agree with between somewhere from 6-8 assists but I think you are underestimating Kyrie's abilities somewhat. His driving and ability to finish are flat out uncanny. He's been working on his skill to be one of the top players in High School and has accomplished that. His mentality and work ethic seem to be right where we want it. I expect him to get around 25-30 mins and score around 13 or 14 per game.

Newton_14
05-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Not sure on everyone else yet, but I think there are 2 givens. Nolan and Kyle will match or better their averages from this past season. Even though their minutes will drop a little bit, the faster pace will lead to more possessions and will balance out the minutes they lose.

I see both of those guys at 18ppg or slightly higher. I also think 4 to 5 guys averaging double figures is a good possibilty as well. This team will have no trouble scoring the basketball. Too many varying weapons not too. Kyrie alone will boost Miles and Mason's numbers a couple of points each. I think both Miles and Mason will be somewhere in the 8 to 11 ppg each. Not sure yet on, Seth, and Andre. Kyrie is a lock for double figures and I guess I would put him in the 13 to 15 range.

Still pondering on the others and what I think the team will average.

Big Pappa
05-17-2010, 11:04 PM
I believe Boiby Hurley was close to 8 per for his career. While it will be difficult, I think Kyrie is up to the task

Bobby averaged 7.7, J Will had 6 per game for his career.

I just don't see KI out-assisting the NCAA's all-time leader in assists his freshman year.

MisterRoddy
05-17-2010, 11:09 PM
I just don't see KI out-assisting the NCAA's all-time leader in assists his freshman year.

I believe Kyrie has the potential to be a great player, and while yes it will be difficult, I believe (with the up-tempo offense along with Smith and Singler, sharpshooters Seth and Dawkins and Alley-oop recipient Plumlee Trees) there will be a few games where Kyrie really racks up the assists, and, by the end of the year, he could have upwards towards the 6-8 assists per game mark. Great players do great things and I think Kyrie will be a great player.

Dukeface88
05-17-2010, 11:39 PM
I agree with between somewhere from 6-8 assists but I think you are underestimating Kyrie's abilities somewhat. His driving and ability to finish are flat out uncanny. He's been working on his skill to be one of the top players in High School and has accomplished that. His mentality and work ethic seem to be right where we want it. I expect him to get around 25-30 mins and score around 13 or 14 per game.

So Hurley-espue numbers are an underestimation? Those are some pretty high expectations you've got for a kid that hasn't played a college game yet.

Let's try to keep a bit of perspective here folks. Saying that Kyrie could approach, and may even have the potential to surpass, the numbers put up by gentlemen with their laundry in Cameron is already very high praise. Saying that you expect him to do so, and in his freshman season, is a rather unrealistic bar to set.

MisterRoddy
05-17-2010, 11:48 PM
So Hurley-espue numbers are an underestimation? Those are some pretty high expectations you've got for a kid that hasn't played a college game yet.

Let's try to keep a bit of perspective here folks. Saying that Kyrie could approach, and may even have the potential to surpass, the numbers put up by gentlemen with their laundry in Cameron is already very high praise. Saying that you expect him to do so, and in his freshman season, is a rather unrealistic bar to set.

It seems you missed the first sentence in my post, which stated that I agreed with the 6-8 assists.

I believe he was underestimating Kyrie's scoring ability.

Dukeface88
05-18-2010, 01:37 AM
It seems you missed the first sentence in my post, which stated that I agreed with the 6-8 assists.

I believe he was underestimating Kyrie's scoring ability.

I did no such thing. Hurley had 7.2 apg and 9 ppg as a frosh, and JWill had 6.5 and 14.5. 7apg and 13.5 ppg (taking the average of your numbers) would be better on balance than either Hurley or JWill as freshmen. Oh, and he'd be doing it in less time (25-30 minutes vs. 33 for both of Hurley and JWill). So yeah, expecting a freshman season better than that of any Duke point guard is a bit high.

This might be a semantic disagreement; I'd hope for something near your numbers, but I'd "expect" less.

sdotbarbee
05-18-2010, 08:20 AM

Maybe not but one thing to look at is with the shooters we have it could be pretty easy to get some assists. LD2 averaged 6 assists per game last year and I don't feel he is anywhere close to the player Irving is. I will say 7 assists per game just because of some of the "easy passes" he will make to shooters like Nolan, Seth, and Kyle.

MisterRoddy
05-18-2010, 08:47 AM
I did no such thing. Hurley had 7.2 apg and 9 ppg as a frosh, and JWill had 6.5 and 14.5. 7apg and 13.5 ppg (taking the average of your numbers) would be better on balance than either Hurley or JWill as freshmen. Oh, and he'd be doing it in less time (25-30 minutes vs. 33 for both of Hurley and JWill). So yeah, expecting a freshman season better than that of any Duke point guard is a bit high.

This might be a semantic disagreement; I'd hope for something near your numbers, but I'd "expect" less.

I just think he will score around 13 or 14 points per (which isn't necessarily that big of an expectation, and 6-8 assists (which, with all his weapons will be difficult but very much possible. Overall, IMO, his frosh season could very well look similar to jwills, he's that good.

MisterRoddy
05-18-2010, 08:52 AM

I just think he will score around 13 or 14 points per (which isn't necessarily that big of an expectation, and 6-8 assists (which, with all his weapons will be difficult but very much possible. Overall, IMO, his frosh season could very well look similar to jwills, I think, and hope that he's that good.

DallasDevil
05-18-2010, 11:09 AM
KI-10 pts, 7 ast
NS-18 pts, 3 ast
KS-19 pts, 8 reb
MP2-11 pts, 8 reb
MP1- 7 pts, 8 reb

SC-11 pts
AD-8 pts
RK-5 pts