PDA

View Full Version : Twitter Cheer Sheets

BD80
05-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Bill Simmons is trying something that might work in the Cam

He is using Twitter to organize chants at tonight's Celtics game:

http://twitter.com/CelticsChants

It isn't working well for him, but it is an interesting idea.

I also like the prospect of Simmons pioneering something that the Crazies end up using to good effect.

Jarhead
05-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Lord save us from twitter.

DukeDevilDeb
05-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Lord save us from twitter.

Can you imagine 800 Crazies tweeting or twitting or whatever different messages in Cameron? Talk about no coordination!

Jarhead
05-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Sorta' like texting while driving, don't you think?

BD80
05-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Can you imagine 800 Crazies tweeting or twitting or whatever different messages in Cameron? Talk about no coordination!

There would be a single Cheer coordinator. When he/she "tweets" everyone who has a smartphone (I assume there is wireless internet available to student in the Cam) or a 3G phone and "follows" the Cheer coordinator on Twitter will receive the next cheer "suggestion."

The issue arises if there is a disagreement as to who the cheer coordinator will be.

SilkyJ
05-13-2010, 10:34 PM
There would be a single Cheer coordinator. When he/she "tweets" everyone who has a smartphone (I assume there is wireless internet available to student in the Cam) or a 3G phone and "follows" the Cheer coordinator on Twitter will receive the next cheer "suggestion."

The issue arises if there is a disagreement as to who the cheer coordinator will be.

HLM would have to do it. Either that or Viking Ed. Someone please tell me he hasn't graduated (I know he posts here all the time). He was there years before I was a U-grad, then years after I was a U-grad. I don't think I can deal with him leaving. If you read this Viking Guy, you've used my duke card more than once. Still waiting on that check (ok, my dad is waiting on that check...but he posts here too!)

Also, neither a smartphone nor a 3G phone is required to access twitter via mobile.

(I work in the wireless industry :D)

CrazieDUMB
05-13-2010, 11:00 PM
How long has it been "the cam"?

BD80
05-13-2010, 11:08 PM

Might be better to ask how long has it been SINCE it was called "the Cam"

It has been a few years (decades) since I have visited the holy land.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
05-13-2010, 11:12 PM
I thought it was funny that a notorious Duke hater (owns a Duke sucks t-shirt) came up with an idea so close to cheer sheets.

It actually seemed to work fairly well towards the end. Watching on TV you could hear very loud New York Knicks chants with Lebron at the foul line. That was what Simmons tweeted. For a first try it seemed to go OK.

If you could get a section of an arena full of diehard fans all going with the same chant it could work. Pretty much how Cameron works but with someone organizing via twitter instead of the sheets.

Deslok
05-14-2010, 12:11 AM

Since Brad Musberger has done games. You know, at The Cameron, at the Pauley, and at the Hinkle.

David
05-14-2010, 01:21 PM
I thought it was funny that a notorious Duke hater (owns a Duke sucks t-shirt) came up with an idea so close to cheer sheets.

It actually seemed to work fairly well towards the end. Watching on TV you could hear very loud New York Knicks chants with Lebron at the foul line. That was what Simmons tweeted. For a first try it seemed to go OK.

If you could get a section of an arena full of diehard fans all going with the same chant it could work. Pretty much how Cameron works but with someone organizing via twitter instead of the sheets.

It was funny to see Simmons organize this effort in light of his dislike for Duke. I don't know if he appreciated the link to the Crazies' cheer sheets, but others picked up on this connection. See this piece on Mediaite:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/bill-simmons-now-is-going-to-lead-celtics-cheers-from-twitter/

Key quote: "The only history of anything similar is the college hoops’ fans (probably most known to be conducted the those Blue Devils who camp out in Krzyzewskiville) and chant sheets passed around before games. But that doesn’t allow the on-the-spot mobilization and embracing the technology that so many sports fans bring with them to games."

I also thought the "New York Knicks" chants worked well towards the end of the game. The tv commentators mentioned it at one point.

hurleyfor3
05-14-2010, 01:43 PM
How the hell we ever came up with cheers in Cameron before the Twitter was invented is a mystery.

weezie
05-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Simmons can now be captain of the dork patrol.
Give him a nice sash to wear.

cspan37421
05-14-2010, 04:02 PM
back in my day, we relied on each other to come up with ideas. If it was a good idea, it spread from person to person VERBALLY until it caught on. If it wasn't ... it didn't spread. Very spontaneous.

btw, you kids, get off my lawn.

BD80
05-14-2010, 04:06 PM
back in my day, we relied on each other to come up with ideas. If it was a good idea, it spread from person to person VERBALLY until it caught on. If it wasn't ... it didn't spread. Very spontaneous.

I remember those days. A trip to the hospital and a quick shot, everything cleared up in a couple of days

Viking Guy
05-17-2010, 10:18 AM
HLM would have to do it. Either that or Viking Ed. Someone please tell me he hasn't graduated (I know he posts here all the time). He was there years before I was a U-grad, then years after I was a U-grad. I don't think I can deal with him leaving. If you read this Viking Guy, you've used my duke card more than once. Still waiting on that check (ok, my dad is waiting on that check...but he posts here too!)

Long gone my friend, long gone. Even grad skool doesn't last forever.

You must have been an undergrad for an incredibly short period of time. Viking Guy was only active in Cameron from 2001-2002 to 2005-2006.

And I don't remember ever borrowing a card, LOL.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-17-2010, 04:41 PM

Are you referring to oral tradition as a means of passing on information, traditions, history, etc.?

davekay1971
05-17-2010, 05:24 PM
I went through the 5 stages of grief when a guy I worked with (who happens to be a card carrying tarhole IC guy, not to mention a brutally incompetent cardiologist) informed me that the Cameron Crazies used "cheer sheets".

Stage 1: "Bull$!#*"
Stage 2: "Tarhole!"
Stage 3: "Yeah, well there are plenty of dorks at UNC...like Kris Lang."
Stage 4: "I can't believe they actually used cheer sheets. WTF?"
Stage 5: "Oh, well. Cameron still rocks."

I'm not against technology, but having some kind of e-cheerleader tweeting out cheer instructions seems kind of, well, nerdy. I'm basically with Hurleyfor3 and cspan...the old way of using word-of-mouth to pass around a great chant idea worked nicely.

cspan37421
12-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Reviving this thread ... going through some of the stuff I picked up at the UTK game on the way out of Thompson-Boling, there were sheets for the students which included on one side, a schedule + the opponents' roster, and on the other, words to the various school songs (I admit, that would have been helpful for me ... never learned the alma mater at Duke), plus 8 specific things to do during the game. Seems to me the kids are missing out on the thrill of coming up with something on the spot and having the idea catch on across the stadium. Anyway, here it is:

Wear your Rocky Top Rowdies shirt to every home game.

Hold the newspaper up during opposing team intros.

During home team introductions, interlock arms and sway back and forth.

After player introductions, tear up the newspaper into confetti. After the Vols score their first point, throw it up in the air.

On Tennessee foul shots, hold 1 arm up in the air. Hold 1 finger up in [sic] the first shot and 2 fingers on the second shot.

Remember the players feed off of the students* so be quick to move on when the other team makes a good play.

Keep the cheers respectful and try to follow the Rowdy section, we have better impact as studetns if we are all unified in the same cheers.

When the opposing team is dribbling, each time the ball hits the court, say "WHAT." When the opposing team passes the ball, say "OHHHH."

Kind of makes you wonder if student services has a guide to dating:

"Ask the waiter to bring his freshest bottle of wine"
"During the movie, pretend to stretch your arms, but after lateral extension, leave one across your date's shoulder"
;)

* That must be Meal Plan C, for cannibal. Do the players ever complain that the fans are tasteless? ....

uh_no
12-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Reviving this thread ... going through some of the stuff I picked up at the UTK game on the way out of Thompson-Boling, there were sheets for the students which included on one side, a schedule + the opponents' roster, and on the other, words to the various school songs (I admit, that would have been helpful for me ... never learned the alma mater at Duke), plus 8 specific things to do during the game. Seems to me the kids are missing out on the thrill of coming up with something on the spot and having the idea catch on across the stadium. Anyway, here it is:

Wear your Rocky Top Rowdies shirt to every home game.

Hold the newspaper up during opposing team intros.

During home team introductions, interlock arms and sway back and forth.

After player introductions, tear up the newspaper into confetti. After the Vols score their first point, throw it up in the air.

On Tennessee foul shots, hold 1 arm up in the air. Hold 1 finger up in [sic] the first shot and 2 fingers on the second shot.

Remember the players feed off of the students* so be quick to move on when the other team makes a good play.

Keep the cheers respectful and try to follow the Rowdy section, we have better impact as studetns if we are all unified in the same cheers.

When the opposing team is dribbling, each time the ball hits the court, say "WHAT." When the opposing team passes the ball, say "OHHHH."

Kind of makes you wonder if student services has a guide to dating:

"Ask the waiter to bring his freshest bottle of wine"
"During the movie, pretend to stretch your arms, but after lateral extension, leave one across your date's shoulder"
;)

* That must be Meal Plan C, for cannibal. Do the players ever complain that the fans are tasteless? ....

While the information is useful, specific cheers are kinda lame.....

Native
12-11-2011, 04:23 PM
As a current student, I have to say that in theory this is a great idea, but in implementation it probably won't be. You'd have to make the Twitter account private so that other fans couldn't read it (come on, let's just invite the entire world to come look at every chant we think of) and then every person would have to have their own Twitter account. Most kids don't, and they aren't about to sign up for one just so they can do chants at a basketball game that they could do in the old-fashioned way.

While we're on the subject, I've been talking to a few other students about the environment in Cameron. We've all pretty much agreed that the rap music played before the game is hugely detrimental. In the good old days when I was little and sat in the upper deck, the band just played and then it was quiet, giving the students time to heckle. Now the players can't hear anything we yell at them because of some idiot Top-40 song blaring over the loudspeaker. "Everytime We Touch" and "All I Do Is Win" are great, but everything else just seems like filler. We'd like to work on maybe, possibly, getting this changed. I know it helps make us seem like a more contemporary program and therefore more attractive to recruits, but we're Duke. We don't do what everyone else does — and I feel like we have been for recent seasons in regard to Craziness.

dukebsbll14
12-11-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm a big fan of the info sheets. I do my research before the game, but its nice to have a list that someone else made in case there's something I've missed...also so everyone else knows stuff too. It's easiest to spread cheers by word of mouth, but if someone comes up with a really good one, then by all means put it on the sheet.

uh_no
12-11-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm a big fan of the info sheets. I do my research before the game, but its nice to have a list that someone else made in case there's something I've missed...also so everyone else knows stuff too. It's easiest to spread cheers by word of mouth, but if someone comes up with a really good one, then by all means put it on the sheet.

I think where it goes over the top is specifying a) EVERY cheer and b) when to do it

Jderf
12-12-2011, 08:23 AM
As a current student, I have to say that in theory this is a great idea, but in implementation it probably won't be. You'd have to make the Twitter account private so that other fans couldn't read it (come on, let's just invite the entire world to come look at every chant we think of) and then every person would have to have their own Twitter account. Most kids don't, and they aren't about to sign up for one just so they can do chants at a basketball game that they could do in the old-fashioned way.

While we're on the subject, I've been talking to a few other students about the environment in Cameron. We've all pretty much agreed that the rap music played before the game is hugely detrimental. In the good old days when I was little and sat in the upper deck, the band just played and then it was quiet, giving the students time to heckle. Now the players can't hear anything we yell at them because of some idiot Top-40 song blaring over the loudspeaker. "Everytime We Touch" and "All I Do Is Win" are great, but everything else just seems like filler. We'd like to work on maybe, possibly, getting this changed. I know it helps make us seem like a more contemporary program and therefore more attractive to recruits, but we're Duke. We don't do what everyone else does — and I feel like we have been for recent seasons in regard to Craziness.

Yes. Do it. If you get enough students behind you and made contact with the right person in the program, I'm sure you could get it changed. As I remember it, the music really is a mood-killer. Takes the life right out of the gym.

dukebsbll14
12-12-2011, 12:49 PM

I tweeted Dave Bradley about this last year, said he doesn't care too much for the stereo music either. I mean, how the heck are we supposed to heckle other teams if they just drown us out for Kanye or something? Side note, of all the music to choose, why is there no Mike Posner??

I came up for the 2008 Blue-White game (my first game experience in Cameron) and I can remember the students just being so energized; anytime there was a break between pep band songs or the game, they were chanting "Lets or Duke!" or something. I remember it being so cool because EVERYONE in the student section was doing it. And it was the Blue-White game! I dunno. What do the guys sitting up top think? I don't really notice much outside of the first 3 rows (#firstrowproblems...), but I get the feeling that we've let the mood of Cameron die a little bit these last few years. This is our house, and you're gonna hear it all night long (cue pep band).