PDA

View Full Version : SI.com Preseason Power Ranking

dukeblue1206
05-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Just thought I would blow my own horn. Luke Winn wrote a story last week about Duke next year and I wrote him about how I thought Duke would be different on defense next year, and he used what I said in his story this week for the Duke being #1 in the Power Ranking. The name Stephen is me. Sorry, I was just so shocked to see my name in print like that. Never thought that would happen. Guess he thought I made a good point. Here is the link to the Power Rankings.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/luke_winn/05/10/power.rankings.1/index.html?eref=sihp#

Big Pappa
05-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Just thought I would blow my own horn. Luke Winn wrote a story last week about Duke next year and I wrote him about how I thought Duke would be different on defense next year, and he used what I said in his story this week for the Duke being #1 in the Power Ranking. The name Stephen is me. Sorry, I was just so shocked to see my name in print like that. Never thought that would happen. Guess he thought I made a good point. Here is the link to the Power Rankings.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/luke_winn/05/10/power.rankings.1/index.html?eref=sihp#

Congrats on the publicity and not a half bad little blurb. It is pretty ridiculous that he doesn't mention Kyle's name one time in the entire article. I'm not sure how you leave a pre-season POY candidate off of the number 1 team in your rankings.

dukeblue1206
05-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Yeah not to mention Kyle is a little bizarre. Kyle seems to get overlooked in a lot of articles. I wonder if he will get overlooked on the preseason All-America 1st team? I would hope not, and Nolan should at least be on 2nd team IMO.

Him having the Heels at #10 may be a little high as well with them having no depth in the front court. I guess that is why they play the games. It will all be sorted out, just not soon enough for me!!

Double DD
05-11-2010, 12:57 AM
I don't see what's so bizarre. He mentioned Singler multiple times in the article about Duke he did last week. And this was just a short blurb for his power rankings anyways. He doesn't mention Robbie Hummell in his paragraph on Purdue either because there was no need to shoehorn his name into the conversation.

Slackerb
05-11-2010, 09:10 AM
LOL at UNC at #10 preseason.

Did these guys watch them last year?

ChicagoCrazy84
05-11-2010, 11:05 AM
LOL at UNC at #10 preseason.

Did these guys watch them last year?

LOL indeed. Again, they are speculating so much on Harrison Barnes' impact, but I don't think they will be close to a top 10 team this season. Top 25 sure, but they're still a year away.

kong123
05-11-2010, 11:22 AM
LOL indeed. Again, they are speculating so much on Harrison Barnes' impact, but I don't think they will be close to a top 10 team this season. Top 25 sure, but they're still a year away.

No one thought Duke would win the championship this year either. In fact, Duke was picked 9th in the preseason ranking. Why were they picked so high, the existing players like Z have never produced the way they needed to. So, while you say that UNC is weak and will not challenge in the ACC, you felt the exact opposite for your team last year. If the UNC players make an improvement the way that Z did this year and HB makes the impact many people believe he will make, then UNC can be a force. I sold Duke short last season and I had to swallow the bitter pill of this years championship. UNC will probably not win a NC, but I believe they will challenge for the ACC regular season.

Duvall
05-11-2010, 11:28 AM
No one thought Duke would win the championship this year either. In fact, Duke was picked 9th in the preseason ranking. Why were they picked so high, the existing players like Z have never produced the way they needed to. So, while you say that UNC is weak and will not challenge in the ACC, you felt the exact opposite for your team last year. If the UNC players make an improvement the way that Z did this year and HB makes the impact many people believe he will make, then UNC can be a force. I sold Duke short last season and I had to swallow the bitter pill of this years championship. UNC will probably not win a NC, but I believe they will challenge for the ACC regular season.

Of course, Duke challenged for the ACC regular season last year, and won the ACC championship, whereas this year's UNC team...didn't. Last year's Duke team had players like Scheyer and Singler that had already shown that they could play at a high level, which this year's UNC team...doesn't.

Jaymf7
05-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I read his comment as suggesting that Duke should NOT extend next year, despite the added depth, because we were so successful this year playing more conservatively. I disagree. While I agree our numbers were great this year, I think they can be just as good (or better when TOs are factored in) next year if we pressure.

Lack of guard depth last year forced the more conservative approach. With it, we were able to keep 3PT % down in part due to size -- with Nolan the only player under 6' 5" getting lots of time. Next year, we will have the bodies to play denial, but at times will not be as tall (particularly if the Plums get into foul trouble and Kyle needs to slide to the 4 for signiticant periods). Accordingly, 2 major reasons for our more conservative style will be less in play.

The problem with the overplay has been containing quick guards. The VCU screenshot the SI guy used (likely on purpose to support his point) brings back terrible Maynor memories. The aggressive approach should work for us this year because we will have more athletic guards to apply the pressure and more athletic bigs behind them to erase mistakes. As such, we should be able to apply substantially increased pressure, create more turnovers, and also maintain something close to the defensive efficiency we saw last year.

Last year's defense worked great for that team. No reason we cannot improve upon it by adapting to the new personnel on next year's team.

airowe
05-11-2010, 11:30 AM
The higher they're ranked, the farther they have to fall. I've said it a million times on here, I respect Barnes as a talent, but small forwards are not a big part of roy's offense. If roy stays true to his word on the recruiting trail and plays Barnes strictly on the wing, he won't be as dangerous as people are making him out to be. I could see him being more effective as a PF in the right lineups and if Zeller continues his pattern of missing half the season he just might have to. I don't see how you can expect such big things from this team as they are put together. We'll see how much of a detriment Marcus Ginyard was to that team last year.

Props on the shouout to the OP and you did make a good point on the extension of pressure D. Even though I wasn't crazy about the comparison between the VCU game and the Butler game, a switch back to our defenses of old will lead to more possessions, higher points totals, and a more appealing style of play to recruits. We should be a very entertaining team to watch next year and I don't disagree with the #1 ranking ;)

roywhite
05-11-2010, 11:31 AM

Huh?

Not many predicted a national championship for Duke last year, but nearly everybody here thought Duke would be good and should be a favorite for the ACC race.

It's fine for you to pull for your team; most fans here are not counting them out but don't see them jumping back to top rankings or a conference championship so soon after last year's debacle.

Devilsfan
05-11-2010, 11:45 AM
That #10 ranking should have been when considering solely the ACC Conference, IMO. Also didn't we lose the VCU game with our "extended" D and didn't the VCU guards get to the basket at will that game?

brevity
05-11-2010, 11:52 AM
The higher they're ranked, the farther they have to fall.

Exactly! Would you rather UNC started at #20 and slipped off the charts quickly, or started at #10 so you could savor their gradual demise?

gumbomoop
05-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Didn't want to start new thread, but FYI:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5179885/smith-working-defending-title

flyingdutchdevil
05-11-2010, 12:28 PM

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5179885/smith-working-defending-title

I like Katz. I like his writing, I like his objective take on basketball, and he isn't Forde.

ElSid
05-11-2010, 12:32 PM

Love it. Love that he's in the gym nearly vomiting already. I'd be doing the same if I had a clear goal like this. Hope the rest of the team is doing something similar.

GODUKEGO
05-11-2010, 01:58 PM
I hope that he is right with the Blue Devils at #1 and UNC and Kentucky not in the top 15.

http://nmsn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/College-Hoops-Preseason-Top-25-for-2010-11-051010

DoubleDuke Dad
05-11-2010, 02:26 PM

In the words of the former chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, Alan Greenspan, it appears that UNC supports may be experiencing irrational exuberance when it comes to their expectations for next year’s team.

Jaymf7
05-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Also didn't we lose the VCU game with our "extended" D and didn't the VCU guards get to the basket at will that game?

Agreed. He is saying that we should not extend because we played better defense this year by taking less chances. Our 2010 team will be very different from the 2007 team, though. We will have very quick guards and multiple shot-blocking big men. We should be able to pressure and still cover the lane.

Big Pappa
05-11-2010, 03:25 PM

I agree they won't be close to the top this year but they have to opportunity to be 3rd or 4th in the league. I don't see them being a year away though because HB will be gone after this year.

With the Wears leaving and Graves graduating they will be back to where they were this past year; even with McAdoo coming in.

CDu
05-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah, Luke Winn is falling prey to some poor logic here in his assertion that the team's defensive strategy should stay basically the same as last year. Using 2010's success and 2007's failure is cherry-picking.

Why use 2007 as an argument for why we should stick with last year's approach? Why not look at 2001, when we played pressure defense with very quick guards/wings?

Why assume that the 2010 strategy (which had more experience and arguably better rebounding) will work with the 2011 team?

The 2011 team is going to be VERY different than the 2007 team and also different than the 2010 team. Using those two seasons as examples as to why we should stick with the less-pressure approach is irrelevant.

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-11-2010, 05:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=5179956

Jaymf7
05-11-2010, 05:52 PM
I think his two key questions -- can we replace Zou's D and Jon's 3pt shooting -- are pretty far off. The Plumlees should be able to intimidate and defend (and hopefully rebound close to Zou's level). Guys like Curry and Dawkins should easily shoot like Scheyer. Silly questions if you ask me.

If I were drafting his one paragraph piece, I might replace his points with:

1) Will a team that replaces 3 seniors with a talented influx of newcomers have the chemistry and character needed to advance in the face of adversity in March?

and

2) Will the Plumlees (and the limited frontcourt bench) stay out of foul trouble and avoid injuries that could leave the roster imbalanced?

If we answer both of these in the affirmative, I think expecting another final four (at least) would be reasonable. Both issues should be largely influenced by our coaching staff, which will surely do a great job as always.

gumbomoop
05-11-2010, 06:00 PM
If we stick precisely to 2 criteria - preseason and on paper - it's Duke, and it's easy.

I do not deny that MichSt, Purdue, and possibly some unspecified team or 2 will emerge to challenge Duke for top spot once play begins. But right now, and until November, Duke is the obvious frontrunner, based on talent, enough experience, coaching, depth to 8-10-men. Any team that has seniors KS and NS, plus realest-new-dealer KI, is going to be very tough to beat, no matter the remainder of the roster [marginally, but only marginally, hyperbolic].

I would argue [and am apparently doing so, just now] that the only serious ?, re Duke's upper limit, is how improved will MP2 be. Seems reasonable to assume some improvement by both MPs. I do not discount the possibility that MP1 will bust out. But if - a perfectly mundane possibility here - MP2 busts out, big time, then, then...... geez........

BleedsP287
05-11-2010, 06:20 PM

Congrats. It's great that he credited you and must be cool to see your name in the article. And a good point you made as well.

BleedsP287
05-11-2010, 06:40 PM
In the words of the former chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, Alan Greenspan, it appears that UNC supports may be experiencing irrational exuberance when it comes to their expectations for next year’s team.

I don't think the Heels are going to be anywhere near as bad this coming year as last. They had major chemistry issues (among other problems, injuries, etc.) last year. With HB coming in and all the losses I think they have a good chance to rebuild the lost chemistry and they will have good talent with which it's possible Roy can craft a quality team. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them 3rd in the ACC, and possibly 2nd if they have luck and their recruits mature quickly. I think 10th in the nation is a stretch, but I'd predict top 25 in mid season form. I'm betting Duke beats them twice though, which would be awesome to see for a second year. Not being a big hater type I don't wish them ill, but I do love to see Duke stomp them good heads up.

hedevil
05-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Great articles on this thread.

Question:Can the bullseye on Dukes chest get any bigger?

Preseason #1, defending National Champions, higher expectations going into this season than last years', and the fact that Duke is Duke.

Answer: Yes!

Not that the Devil's don't play hard every game, every year, but this year is going to be insane. Even for Duke standards, I feel like these guys will have to step it up a notch, if that's even possible. All the haters will be salivating to see Duke lose (what's new).

I like to hear that Nolan and Kyle are up for the challenge (no surprise). Cousin's (what a clown).

Big Pappa
05-11-2010, 08:05 PM

Great article although I think it is a stretch to say that both Nolan and Kyle were consensus first round picks. I feel strongly that Kyle would have landed in the back 5-8 picks in the first but I don't think Nolan had a very good chance at the first round.

hq2
05-12-2010, 09:17 PM
This reminds me a little of what happened in 1979, when Duke was the consensus preseason #1. What people forget is that if a guy from Rhode Island had hit a wide open layup in the last minute of the 1978 tournament, Duke would never have even gotten out of the first round. In which case, would they have been preseason #1 the next year? No.

The media tend to overrate who ever was good the previous year, assuming they are returning a decent nucleus. Make no mistake about it, we'll be as good as anyone next year. But supposing in the Baylor game that Baylor had gotten that rebound for the put back instead of Duke, and then hit a basket or two and Duke would have lost. Would we be preseason #1 for next year? I think not. So taking any preseason #1 hype seriously at this point is silly. The media (Jay Bilas excepted) don't know squat. I never take their predictions seriously.

ice-9
05-13-2010, 06:05 AM
You're right in your premise that preseason rankings don't mean much, and perhaps are too overly influenced by what happens in the tournament.

However, even if Baylor had defeated us, I believe Duke would have still be a preseason top 5 team; definitely top 10. We weren't "lucky" to win the tournament last season -- most computer rankings had us as heavy favorites and we were #3 in the human polls.

Kedsy
05-13-2010, 09:37 AM
The media tend to overrate who ever was good the previous year, assuming they are returning a decent nucleus. Make no mistake about it, we'll be as good as anyone next year. But supposing in the Baylor game that Baylor had gotten that rebound for the put back instead of Duke, and then hit a basket or two and Duke would have lost. Would we be preseason #1 for next year? I think not.

While I agree that the media tend to overrate the good teams from the year before and pre-season rankings are next to useless, I think you're wrong about where we'd be ranked. If Duke lost to Baylor we'd still be #1 or #2 in the 2010-11 pre-season rankings.

Look at Purdue. Yes, they had an injury to their best player, but they lost in the 3rd round of the NCAAT and Winn, Goodman, and Katz all have them in the top 3. (Although personally I think they're all underestimating the loss of a two-time Big 10 defensive player of the year (Kramer). Purdue will be good, but not top 5 good, in my opinion.)

hq2
05-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Even if we had lost to Baylor, I agree that we would not have been ranked lower than 3rd next year; we have too much talent and too many good players returning. However, I don't think the media would be jumping on the Duke #1 bandwagon that they're on now.

And on another line, we will miss Zoubs much more than people think. Without him, that 4th banner would not be in the rafters. Hopefully, the Plumlees will (finally) step up and show us what they can do.

Clipsfan
05-13-2010, 09:48 AM

I like Katz' stuff, but found it odd that he called Zoubek the defensive stopper, not Lance.

MCFinARL
05-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Even if we had lost to Baylor, I agree that we would not have been ranked lower than 3rd next year; we have too much talent and too many good players returning. However, I don't think the media would be jumping on the Duke #1 bandwagon that they're on now.

And on another line, we will miss Zoubs much more than people think. Without him, that 4th banner would not be in the rafters. Hopefully, the Plumlees will (finally) step up and show us what they can do.

I think we may also miss Lance much more than people think. His floor leadership, defensive focus, and "glue guy" role were pretty important, despite his lack of offense.

soccerstud2210
05-13-2010, 10:09 AM
it will be interesting to see who steps up. there are three big holes that are left from the seniors leaving.

do we have the guys to fill them? yes

will those guys fill them? TBD

MChambers
05-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Don't think I saw this preview mentioned in this thread, but DeCourcy, who I respect (like Katz and Goodman), has MSU #1, Duke #2, and Purdue #3.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2010-05-12/2010-11-rosters-set-michigan-state-looks-top-team?obref=obinsite

Personally, I could care less where Duke is ranked before March. The lower, the better. And I think it's fair to rate a team that has to replace three starters lower than teams that do not.

I do note that the two teams consistently mentioned as being on a par with Duke, MSU and Purdue, each have a key player returning from a major injury. I hope Lucas and Hummel are recovered, but I'm glad Duke doesn't have to deal with that (knock on wood).

Big Pappa
05-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Don't think I saw this preview mentioned in this thread, but DeCourcy, who I respect (like Katz and Goodman), has MSU #1, Duke #2, and Purdue #3.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2010-05-12/2010-11-rosters-set-michigan-state-looks-top-team?obref=obinsite

Personally, I could care less where Duke is ranked before March. The lower, the better. And I think it's fair to rate a team that has to replace three starters lower than teams that do not.

I do note that the two teams consistently mentioned as being on a par with Duke, MSU and Purdue, each have a key player returning from a major injury. I hope Lucas and Hummel are recovered, but I'm glad Duke doesn't have to deal with that (knock on wood).

Here (http://www.freep.com/article/20100513/SPORTS07/100513041/1048/rss03) is a pretty nice little article about it:

You're right about us not having to replace a key guy coming back from injury, but neither one of those teams are replacing three starters.