PDA

View Full Version : Bob Knight Halftime Speech

KYtotheCore
05-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Warning - Not For Children.

George Takei - "OH MY!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw7KijRfU-c&playnext_from=TL&videos=Ng1D7gjDNj0&feature=grechttp://

ElSid
05-10-2010, 07:09 PM
K learned to swear from one of the best...

roywhite
05-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Hmmm...a coach who yells to make a point and uses profanity, but values academics, plays by the rules, is honest with his players, and wins championships...

Or, a win-at-all costs coach who plays fast and loose with the rules, doesn't particularly care about academics, has Final Four appearances vacated, and runs good kids off his team to meet the scholarship limit?

Pretty clear choice, I think.

Lord Ash
05-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Phew. They must have had to repaint after that one.

I would not have wanted to play for Coach Knight, I don't think, but a good coach nonetheless, and a GREAT basketball announcer.

My favorite Bob Knight collection is this one... not only a real barn burner, but also shows Coach Knight's humor at its finest:)

DEFINITELY NSFW. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZD1vkzYmyI)

dukieinhebron
05-10-2010, 07:39 PM
I like it. Coach Knight got his point across.

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-10-2010, 07:44 PM
No one said it was pretty, but it was effective

ElSid
05-10-2010, 07:46 PM
No one said it was pretty, but it was effective

are you kidding? i thought it was *#@&ing gorgeous.

i was ready to go out and beat purdue after hearing that.

Lord Ash
05-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Far be it from me to question one of the masters of the game, but as someone who has been involved in sports at every level, both as an athlete as well as not, there are definitely some athletes who would not respond well to the idea of a coach being angry about HIS record being 8-10.

It certainly worked for Coach Knight, as evidenced by his body of work, but it is not for everyone.

ReformedAggie
05-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I do wish he'd write a childrens' book :)

ElSid
05-10-2010, 07:58 PM
I would not have wanted to play for Coach Knight, I don't think, but a good coach nonetheless, and a GREAT basketball announcer.

Love it when Knight does Duke games. Calls us "The Dukes" which is far superior to "Dukies". Also, clearly likes Coach K and says truthful positive things about him, which many others aren't willing to do, but not in an obsequious sounding way, like Dickie V, often. Good analysis. Obviously knows a thing or two about hoops.

The golf video is great. I'm sure I would not want to spend a lot of time with this man, but he's entertaining from a distance.

KYtotheCore
05-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Pretty clear choice, I think. Roy. I have to apologize. What was the question?

roywhite
05-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Roy. I have to apologize. What was the question?

From my original post, which type of coach is preferable?

Hmmm...a coach who yells to make a point and uses profanity, but values academics, plays by the rules, is honest with his players, and wins championships...

Or, a win-at-all costs coach who plays fast and loose with the rules, doesn't particularly care about academics, has Final Four appearances vacated, and runs good kids off his team to meet the scholarship limit?

Pretty clear choice, I think.

greybeard
05-10-2010, 10:21 PM

George Takei - "OH MY!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw7KijRfU-c&playnext_from=TL&videos=Ng1D7gjDNj0&feature=grechttp://

Good to hear how it's all about the kids, for Bobby. He played? His team? They played for the fx83k8n Univeristy of Indiana, Bobby, and it was their team!

I enjoy the guy as a commentator. Thought he was a horrid coach, who all but ruined the game by intimidating officials into allowing the kind of defense that Purdue played against Duke in the tournament this year, only taken up a notich as Emeril the cook would say.

By and large, his teams manhandled people to fight for space on the court, most of it irrelevant but for the intimidation factor, you move on my court in the offensive half only if I let you was the message, conveyed through body pushing which before Bobby was a foul.

Should have been a football coach. Would have been wonderful watching Ohio State play Indiana. Both Woody and Bobby would be beating the crap out of the same guys, Bobby's.

moonpie23
05-10-2010, 10:48 PM
sometimes, kids need gentle reminders of the consequences of their choices....

i thought he made his points pretty clearly...

dukeblue1206
05-11-2010, 12:23 AM
If I was a player in that locker room, I do not think that tirade would have made me play any harder. I am not against profanity at all, but all of them thrown together like that would just go in one ear and out the other. I think profanity is very effective when used properly for effect. I would have been much more into what he had to say if he made a passionate speech, then at the end used a colorful word or two to put a stamp on his thoughts. A coach like Gary Williams who just spews crap out of his mouth the whole game to his bench players would do nothing for me. I would think they just have to ignore him at some point. I just love watching him yell at his bench guys when they have no effect on what is going on in the game or caused his moment of anger.

ElSid
05-11-2010, 12:30 AM
If I was a player in that locker room, I do not think that tirade would have made me play any harder. I am not against profanity at all, but all of them thrown together like that would just go in one ear and out the other. I think profanity is very effective when used properly for effect. I would have been much more into what he had to say if he made a passionate speech, then at the end used a colorful word or two to put a stamp on his thoughts. A coach like Gary Williams who just spews crap out of his mouth the whole game to his bench players would do nothing for me. I would think they just have to ignore him at some point. I just love watching him yell at his bench guys when they have no effect on what is going on in the game or caused his moment of anger.

well. seems to work pretty well for k and seemed to work pretty well for knight. out of context, and without seeing the likely terrifying look on his face, this tirade sounds kinda funny.
sweaty gary does swear a lot. but so does k. i don't particularly care one way or the other as long as my favorite team wins.

greybeard
05-11-2010, 12:53 AM
well. seems to work pretty well for k and seemed to work pretty well for knight. out of context, and without seeing the likely terrifying look on his face, this tirade sounds kinda funny.
sweaty gary does swear a lot. but so does k. i don't particularly care one way or the other as long as my favorite team wins.

For Knight, it seems that it was the old saw, you can get more with choking a player and cursing him than you can just by cursing him. I'm not opposed to the creative use of curse words, heck, Lewis Black is my favorite comedian, but a string of curse words that were all about how the game was all about Mr. Knight shows just what a self centered p--, nope I won't, he is.

K, from everything he said about Duke basketball this year, was completely behind the notion that the game was about the team, their development, their accomplishments, not his. Curse words can be cool. The tape I heard was a self-centered tirade that was filed with filth that was all about the speaker's ego. Nothing cool about it.

dukeblue1206
05-11-2010, 12:53 AM

I like the fact that Coach K swears and does not really try to hide that fact, I just feel he uses his swears to better effect then Knight. Coach Knight seems to let them fly because of anger and temper issues, while Coach K uses it to get a point across or because of disappointment. I would much rather have a coach that curses then just says the old Golly Gee like Coach Huckleberry. I curse a good bit but know how to control it, like Coach K, Knight seems to just lose it because of blind rage and lets the words fly. Just watch those Coach Knight golf show outtakes. He lets them fly and it is rather entertaining.

ElSid
05-11-2010, 01:45 AM
I like the fact that Coach K swears and does not really try to hide that fact, I just feel he uses his swears to better effect then Knight. Coach Knight seems to let them fly because of anger and temper issues, while Coach K uses it to get a point across or because of disappointment. I would much rather have a coach that curses then just says the old Golly Gee like Coach Huckleberry. I curse a good bit but know how to control it, like Coach K, Knight seems to just lose it because of blind rage and lets the words fly. Just watch those Coach Knight golf show outtakes. He lets them fly and it is rather entertaining.

to be clear, i'm pro college coaches cursing. i try to limit it myself because it makes a woman i like think less of me. but to each his own.

coach knight is a big scary bully. he's probably a jerk to everyone who doesn't share his worldview. but he got results in college bball. who knows how many suffered in his wake, but he won a lot.

grew up hating knight rooting for a big ten team not named indiana. starting to like him more recently. guess i'm susceptible to the world today, which offers a lot more chances for redemption. a negative character trait simply makes you more marketable. and all these commercials are starting to make me laugh at what an out of control, violent, bully knight was. his publicist should get a raise. oh, and his reliably positive comments about duke always help.

chi
05-11-2010, 02:07 AM
Phew. They must have had to repaint after that one.

My favorite Bob Knight collection is this one... not only a real barn burner, but also shows Coach Knight's humor at its finest:)

DEFINITELY NSFW. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZD1vkzYmyI)

That was hilarious, especially at the beginning ... Thanks for the post

Spret42
05-11-2010, 12:54 PM
I have had this as an .wmv file on my computer forever.

As others have said the whole thing is a fantastic look into Knight. Listen to what is making him most angry. He is mad at how their poor play affects HIM. It is all about how he "had to sit around for a year with an 8-10 record in this blanking league." "You will not do that to me again." etc etc. The man really should have been a football coach, with all the bluster and wanna be commanding general of troops going into battle BS.

My take on Coach K and Knight is that K was smart enough to employ all of Knights genius for basketball, ref intimidation and defense while letting loose any connection between his teams record and his own self worth. He knew that to drill them hard was important. But I also think he saw the genius in John Wooden's ability for understanding people and how to bring out the best in individuals. I think that is why K is so great. He melds the best parts of the two schools of coaching into one person.

Vincetaylor
05-11-2010, 01:40 PM
I think the only reason people are saying they like this is because of Knight's ties to Coach K. Although I think it is funny and entertaining, he totally comes across as an ego maniac and a bully.

BD80
05-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Reminds me of the story that ends with the youngest boy alone at the breakfast table, having seen his two older brothers punished so severely, replying:

"You can bet your sweet ... that I won't ask for the ... corn flakes!"

ndkjr70
05-11-2010, 02:33 PM
"When I'm retired and my coaching career is in the past, I want them to bury me upside down so my critics can kiss my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this."

Cameron
05-11-2010, 03:26 PM
This is awesome. What's the problem here?

As they say, some things aren't for the faint of heart. Another one: if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I imagine that similar speeches have rang inside Cameron's bowels...

BD80
05-11-2010, 03:52 PM
... I imagine that similar speeches have rang inside Cameron's bowels...

But not the bowels of the Dean Dome, those bowels are too full to echo

hedevil
05-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Does anyone here really believe that coach K has never gone off like that in the privacy of the locker room? Come on!

If coach Knight was recruiting me for his team, I think I would take that (the angry verbal scoldings) into consideration when choosing whether to commit or not. Who doesn't know Knight's tendencies?

Players who play for Knight know who's recruiting them. Let's not treat the players like victims. If you choose Duke, it probably has alot to do with coach K (Kyrie Irving for example). If you had chosen to play for Knight, it might have been because of the coach that he is (flaws and all). I respect Knight because, like him or not, he is who he is, calls it like it is, and doesn't put up a front for anyone. The way I see it, the world needs more straight forward people as it is. I know I like his honesty when it comes to discussing Duke, as opposed to hating on Duke every opportunity like some people.

Big Pappa
05-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Does anyone here really believe that coach K has never gone off like that in the privacy of the locker room? Come on!

If coach Knight was recruiting me for his team, I think I would take that (the angry verbal scoldings) into consideration when choosing whether to commit or not. Who doesn't know Knight's tendencies?

Players who play for Knight know who's recruiting them. Let's not treat the players like victims. If you choose Duke, it probably has alot to do with coach K (Kyrie Irving for example). If you had chosen to play for Knight, it might have been because of the coach that he is (flaws and all). I respect Knight because, like him or not, he is who he is, calls it like it is, and doesn't put up a front for anyone. The way I see it, the world needs more straight forward people as it is. I know I like his honesty when it comes to discussing Duke, as opposed to hating on Duke every opportunity like some people.

There is no doubt that Coach K has profanity laced locker room speeches and yells at referees, but there is a huge difference between K and Knight and that is: control. I am not naive enough to say I think K only cusses out of anger and it doesn't happen all that often. I do, however, think that K has a purpose for everything he does, profanity laced speeches included.

No team is better coming out of half than Duke and that is because K is a great motivator but he also knows when and where to use it.

ChicagoCrazy84
05-12-2010, 06:11 AM
I like it mainly because if I was a basketball coach, I would be the same way. Sometimes its not about trying to motivate your players, but to simply get your point across. There were times after a few games this past year (NC State, GTown) where I know I would've gone ballistic and I think most coaches would too. A poster earlier nailed it though and said its all about having control. Would I have it? Who knows? If I was in that position facing my team after getting drubbed where we converted 20+ turnovers and allowed 50% shooting, maybe not. Thankfully I can rest easy knowing my real team's coach knows exactly what he's doing in those tough positions. Thanks Coach K!

oldnavy
05-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Having been on the receiving end and on the giving end of those type of speeches, my take is that they are only effective if employed correctly. A good leader needs many tools to effectively lead and motivate. I am a recovering cusser myself (20+ years in the Navy), and I found that leaders that rant and rave as a standard method were not nearly as effective as those that remained firm, fair and in control. HOWEVER, when a leader that usually exercised restraint, went off like Knight did, it most certainly made an impact. I had to use that tactic twice that I remember with my sailors over the 20 years. Both times it was after the message I was trying to convey did not get through the first couple of times with a more reserved, calm approach. Once in my first tour, and once while on deployment in the Horn of Africa near the end of my career. The one in Africa was funny, I almost passed out because I was yelling so loud and for so long, and it was about 130 degrees! I actually had to stop for a second, bend over an place my hands on my knees, and get my Senior Chief to hand me a bottle of water before I could continue! But I got their attention and they stopped doing the stupid stuff, and we all came back alive, by God's good grace!

Zeke
05-12-2010, 10:34 AM
My experience with this type of thing is: 1) when as coach you don't know anything elase to do - tell your team to play harder 2) when you really don't know what else to do - add swearing. If you pound hard enough you reallly can fit a square object into a round hole.

Devilsfan
05-12-2010, 12:39 PM
I think the General is a great on TV. He was first to mentioned that Jon should be the point for Duke back in February 2009. Who knows maybe he suggested that Zoubs become a starter back on February 13th.

JG Nothing
05-12-2010, 02:49 PM

George Takei - "OH MY!"

I heard basically the same thing playing high school football in Alabama during the 1970s. I think Knight is an arrogant bully, but not because of "motivational" speeches like that.

Lord Ash
05-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Having been on the receiving end and on the giving end of those type of speeches, my take is that they are only effective if employed correctly. A good leader needs many tools to effectively lead and motivate. I am a recovering cusser myself (20+ years in the Navy), and I found that leaders that rant and rave as a standard method were not nearly as effective as those that remained firm, fair and in control. HOWEVER, when a leader that usually exercised restraint, went off like Knight did, it most certainly made an impact. I had to use that tactic twice that I remember with my sailors over the 20 years. Both times it was after the message I was trying to convey did not get through the first couple of times with a more reserved, calm approach. Once in my first tour, and once while on deployment in the Horn of Africa near the end of my career. The one in Africa was funny, I almost passed out because I was yelling so loud and for so long, and it was about 130 degrees! I actually had to stop for a second, bend over an place my hands on my knees, and get my Senior Chief to hand me a bottle of water before I could continue! But I got their attention and they stopped doing the stupid stuff, and we all came back alive, by God's good grace!

I've learned the same thing through both coaching and teaching... the rant and rave is MUCH more effective when it is not the norm, and personally I prefer when it is not "selfish" in nature.

hedevil
05-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Knight did play a huge role in paving the way for coach K, right?

Coach K does credit coach Knight with steering his way (in part) to getting where he is today, right?

I don't think coack K credits Knight with helping to make him the coach he is today just for the hell of it, do you?

That's enough for me. Dude (Knight) knows how to coach, period!

Jarhead
05-12-2010, 04:48 PM
What a terrific orator. He didn't stumble over a single word, and he did it in rhythm, and without a teleprompter.

Huh?
05-12-2010, 08:50 PM

George Takei - "OH MY!"

He was pissed.

4decadedukie
05-14-2010, 10:17 AM
A good leader sculpts and optimizes both his massage and his delivery-mode to best fit the circumstances and the audience. Any of us who have led youngsters as coaches, military officers, teachers, parents, etc. know this is true. Coach Knight’s halftime, motivational speech was appropriate for the circumstances and for his team at that time; obviously, this does not suggest that it would be universally suitable. It is my opinion that, far too frequently, individuals are criticized by self-anointed pundits, who neither understand the context nor have any real experience in similar situations.

duke79
05-14-2010, 11:15 AM
LOL. Glad is he NOT my boss. LOL. I wonder how many parents, if they heard this rant from Bobby Knight, would have let their sons play basketball from him? I mean basketball is a GAME. We're not talking about the D-Day invasion of Normandy here.

4decadedukie
05-14-2010, 11:58 AM
I mean basketball is a GAME. We're not talking about the D-Day invasion of Normandy here.

Perhaps, but the self-discipline, the teamwork, the leadership, the character development, the tenacity, and the self-sacrifice developed through athletic competitions have substantial, pervasive applicability in the military -- both during combat operations and in less-demanding circumstances. This is the precise reason why General Douglas MacArthur had the following quotation carved in stone over the entryway of West Point’s gymnasium:

"Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds, that upon other fields, on other days, will bear the fruits of victory."

It is also why the service academies make constant athletic competition (intramural or intercollegiate) mandatory.