PDA

View Full Version : Hippocracy in the rivalry?

oldnavy
05-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Kong123 brought it up how we tend to think that when Duke players transfer, it is because they are not cut out to be Duke fans, but when UNC players transfer it is because of internal problems, etc...

I have another question about how the perceptions of K have or have not changed with regards to UNC fans since Roy's arrival at UNC;

These are a sampling of the criticisms I have heard of K from UNC fans:

-too commercial (did commercials, i.e., loved the celebrity status)
-too profane (use bad words, and that was terrible)
-too rigid and difficult to play for (i.e., transfers)
-too egotistical (thought way too much of himself)

I am sure that there have been more but this is good enough to start the discussion.

Now that Ol Roy is over on the Hill, seems that a lot of those criticisms have tapered off, although they still are around. Seems that Roy:

-does commercials (poor mom, and the dime for a Coke brought tears to my eyes)
-has been known to drop an F bomb or two during interviews no less. Cannot ever remember K doing that!
-seemed a little rigid this year in forcing a style of play on a team not able to execute it well. Now with the Wear brothers leaving (rumored) and the kid that went back west (blanking) a year or so ago..
-refers to himself in the third person as much if not more than anyone in coaching... personally has opposing fans tossed from HIS arena...

I am interested in hearing others experiences on this topic. My experience has shown that the previous criticisms of K have all but dried up... Anyone else have similar experiences.

Mike Corey
05-09-2010, 08:28 PM
I swear by Apollo the Physician and Asclepius and Hygieia and Panaceia and all the gods, and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfill according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant:
To hold him who has taught me this art as equal to my parents and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach them this art–if they desire to learn it–without fee and covenant; to give a share of precepts and oral instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me and to pupils who have signed the covenant and have taken the oath according to medical law, but to no one else.
I will apply dietic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice.
I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.
I will not use the knife, not even on sufferers from stone, but will withdraw in favor of such men as are engaged in this work.
Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief and in particular of sexual relations with both female and male persons, be they free or slaves.
What I may see or hear in the course of treatment or even outside of the treatment in regard to the life of men, which on no account one must spread abroad, I will keep myself holding such things shameful to be spoken about.
If I fulfill this oath and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely, may the opposite of all this be my lot.

DukeDevilDeb
05-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I swear by Apollo the Physician and Asclepius and Hygieia and Panaceia and all the gods, and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfill according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant:
To hold him who has taught me this art as equal to my parents and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach them this art–if they desire to learn it–without fee and covenant; to give a share of precepts and oral instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me and to pupils who have signed the covenant and have taken the oath according to medical law, but to no one else.
I will apply dietic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice.
I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.
I will not use the knife, not even on sufferers from stone, but will withdraw in favor of such men as are engaged in this work.
Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief and in particular of sexual relations with both female and male persons, be they free or slaves.
What I may see or hear in the course of treatment or even outside of the treatment in regard to the life of men, which on no account one must spread abroad, I will keep myself holding such things shameful to be spoken about.
If I fulfill this oath and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely, may the opposite of all this be my lot.

Our hippos needed that! :D

sandinmyshoes
05-09-2010, 09:37 PM
I remember that we used to always gripe about Dean Smith being too controlling and tight lipped. Now we complain about Roy letting his players have too little rein, and speaking his mind too freely.

And the UNC fans have pretty much flipped to the opposite side of the coin, as pointed out in previous posts.

The Rilvary. Gotta love it. :cool:

moonpie23
05-09-2010, 10:12 PM
like a slick, powerful, high octane warrior, the UNC SS 396 oozed horsepower for 4 years, two titles and a wave of national dominance.

but now......the spark plugs are corroded, the fuel line clogged and the ignition timing off.

to make matters worse.....that sound....behind them for a while, begins to close the gap......the sonic muscle confirms the worst as roar of the HEMI rattles the ground and shakes the faithful as it blows past the SS like a titan rocket.

82-50, baby.....82-50....

LEEEEEEET's GET REAAAAAAAAADY TO RUMMMMMMBLLLLLEEEEEEE !!

DevilHorns
05-09-2010, 10:42 PM
like a slick, powerful, high octane warrior, the UNC SS 396 oozed horsepower for 4 years, two titles and a wave of national dominance.

but now......the spark plugs are corroded, the fuel line clogged and the ignition timing off.

to make matters worse.....that sound....behind them for a while, begins to close the gap......the sonic muscle confirms the worst as roar of the HEMI rattles the ground and shakes the faithful as it blows past the SS like a titan rocket.

82-50, baby.....82-50....

LEEEEEEET's GET REAAAAAAAAADY TO RUMMMMMMBLLLLLEEEEEEE !!

82 - 50. Oh man that was a good night. I think im going to watch that game right now to cap off the night.

JBDuke
05-09-2010, 11:17 PM
I shut this thread down a little over 2 days ago, as I see no discussion here that adds value to this board, and we already have too much obsessing over Carolina. Again, as before, I invite the OP or any other reader to PM me, and if anyone can give me any reason why this thread might generate an interesting discussion, I'll reopen it. I await enlightenment.