PDA

View Full Version : Paulus and the Saints

MtPJimB
05-06-2010, 03:15 PM
NOLA.com is reporting that Greg Paulus is among about 40 undrafted tryout players that will get a shot at making the team at the New Orleans Saints weekend minicamp this weekend.

See http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/05/syracuse_quarterback_greg_paul.html

BD80
05-06-2010, 03:18 PM
NOLA.com is reporting that Greg Paulus is among about 40 undrafted tryout players that will get a shot at making the team at the New Orleans Saints weekend minicamp this weekend.

See http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/05/syracuse_quarterback_greg_paul.html

Don't the Saints realize that a quarterback that height can't make it in the NFL?

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Who 'dat? Greg Paulus

Daniel tosh
05-06-2010, 06:08 PM
dONT EVEN GET YOUR HOPES UP FOR THIS,HES TOO "UN-ATHLETIC":D.But seriously,I'm happy for Greg hes out there trying,I would really like to see him make a team

MisterRoddy
05-06-2010, 06:17 PM
(via Jeff Goodman's twitter) If it doesnt work out with the Saints, Paulus wants to get involved in college bball coaching.

Daniel tosh
05-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the staff in the future

Jeff0r3
05-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the staff in the future

He'll definitely be on a Duke Sideline, because his Football Career will be short-lived.

Tappan Zee Devil
05-06-2010, 09:36 PM
He'll definitely be on a Duke Sideline, because his Football Career will be short-lived.

And just why are you so confident of that.
Celebrate what he has accomplished rather than throw gratuitous insults at him

We will see how it turns out. He has accomplished much more than the vast majority of his detractors (now including you) have predicted.

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Good luck Greg

JaMarcus Russell
05-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Best of luck to Greg when he tries out in New Orleans. As many of you guys know, his coach at Syracuse was the Saints offensive coordinator beforehand. Hopefully he impresses Sean Payton and makes the team as the third string quarterback this year.

hedevil
05-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Wishing you well Greg. Be it football, coaching, or any other venture.
GOOD LUCK!:)

greybeard
05-07-2010, 12:46 AM

I do not think that Paulus will coach at Duke. I think he will coach and that he is a decent enough shot to be good at it. I just doubt that it will be at Duke.

Big Pappa
05-07-2010, 12:51 AM

No reason to think that yet. He has been successful at every single thing he has put his mind to.

Good luck Greg. All the best.

MisterRoddy
05-07-2010, 12:59 AM
He has all the intageables that Drew Brees has, there's no reason to think he can't succeed in football. The Saints have a great coaching staff that I think is capable of developing a guy with will and determination like Paulus. I hope when I watch Saints games next year, I see him holding a clipboard, conversing with Drew and [enter 2nd string qb here]. I at least hope he makes the practice squad.
If it doesnt work out, I wouldnt mind seeing him on our bench in the future.

All I can say is good luck Greg, we're rooting for ya!

moonpie23
05-07-2010, 01:33 AM
i am predisposed to dislike the saints because:

a. they are in the panther's division
b. they whupped the colts

however, it's hard to hate brees and if paulus was backing him up, i'd have to pull for them (just not against the panthers)

good luck greg...

JaMarcus Russell
05-07-2010, 02:30 AM
I do not think that Paulus will coach at Duke. I think he will coach and that he is a decent enough shot to be good at it. I just doubt that it will be at Duke.

Why not at Duke?

formerdukeathlete
05-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Why not at Duke?

Greybeard is a Cornell grad, NY guy...maybe he thinks it would be on Boeheim's staff.

The Saints camp starts today, and player interviews may be granted tomorrow. The media whirlwind may start again if Greg makes it to the pre-season. Invited to the Saints camp is a similar to better situation than Riley Skinner's invite to the Giants camp. http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042610aaa.html

Who has the greater NFL potential? Well Paulus is taller, smart, relentless work ethic (recall Dave Paulus saying that Greg was at Syracuse from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm every day during the informal workouts period), and reports are he is throwing the ball well.

NM Duke Fan
05-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Greybeard is a Cornell grad, NY guy...maybe he thinks it would be on Boeheim's staff.

The Saints camp starts today, and player interviews may be granted tomorrow. The media whirlwind may start again if Greg makes it to the pre-season. Invited to the Saints camp is a similar to better situation than Riley Skinner's invite to the Giants camp. http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042610aaa.html

Who has the greater NFL potential? Well Paulus is taller, smart, relentless work ethic (recall Dave Paulus saying that Greg was at Syracuse from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm every day during the informal workouts period), and reports are he is throwing the ball well.

Due to his various outstanding qualities of character, in addition to some real QB ability, I think he does have a slight chance at making a team if its system plays to his strengths. In any case, very glad to hear he is getting this chance, and may he make the best of it!

ReformedAggie
05-07-2010, 07:41 PM
GL Greg

dchen09
05-08-2010, 01:52 AM
http://www.citrustv.net/view-video5.aspx?id=713

He sounds classy as ever. And if he doesn't make the NFL, we might still see him on the sidelines at Duke!

1Devil
05-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Looking at this completely objectively, what attributes as a player did Paulus bring that would make him a good coach? He certainly did not excel as a player, getting steadily worse through his career. You can attribute that to:

injuries
lack of good/mature players around him
lack of talent

It did seem that he had a great attitude and was trying hard (despite results). Is that all it takes to be on the staff? How about knowing how to succeed against all odds?

I will always wish the best for Paulus, but I think there may be better candidates for the coaching staff.

Bluedog
05-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Looking at this completely objectively, what attributes as a player did Paulus bring that would make him a good coach? He certainly did not excel as a player, getting steadily worse through his career. You can attribute that to:

injuries
lack of talent

It did seem that he had a great attitude and was trying hard (despite results). Is that all it takes to be on the staff? How about knowing how to succeed against all odds?

I will always wish the best for Paulus, but I think there may be better candidates for the coaching staff.

There are many qualities that Paulus exhibits that would make him a good coach. First of all, leadership. Even when Paulus' minutes dwindled his senior year, he was still a very vocal leader as a captain, and teammates and coaches commented on his leadership skills. Secondly, recruiting. Apparently, Paulus was key in getting a few guys to commit to Duke with his likeable personality and hospitality when they visited. Thirdly, intelligence. Paulus is a smart dude; learned Syracuse playbook quickly and has exhibited a knack for understanding defenses and seeing schemes well.

The "getting steadily worse throughout his career" I think is slightly unfair. When he was a freshman, there was no other true PG on the team so he didn't have any competition at the spot, and could constantly feed JJ and Shelden. When you've got two dominating players like that alongside you, it's easy to look good. Later on, there was more competition at the point and not All-Americans to dish to. It makes life on the PG a lot harder and we required a PG that could create off the dribble more. Having said that, Paulus was key in many games in his career. The nailing of multiple 3s against UNC in Chapel Hill his senior year comes to mind. We don't win that game without him. He also came up big vs. Miami (I think we won in OT) his senior year, so even though his stats went down, he was still clutch in several games and didn't wallow in self-pity like many players would do. He gave it his all and contributed when he was called upon to do so.

Personally, I think Paulus would make a great coach. But best of luck to him with the Saints tryouts! We're wishing you well Greg!

Edit:

He certainly did not excel as a player

Paulus wasn't a super star, but he was a serviceable player in his four years at Duke. He averaged 8.6 PPG, 3.4 APG, shot 42% from the field and 40% from three point land, and 78% from the free throw stripe. Those are certainly solid numbers. I'd also almost guarantee you Paulus was a better player than Coach K was at Army, and Coach K has turned out all right. Bob Knight in interviews constantly says he "told Mike not to shoot. That wasn't his role and he understood it better than any other player I've ever coached" (slightly paraphrasing...)

northernduke
05-08-2010, 12:19 PM

injuries
lack of talent

I don't think succeeding as a player is necessarily indicative of being a good coach - at least in the way you phrased your opinion. Playing the game is both physical and mental. If the player is physically incapable of succeeding but demonstrates mental strength and intuition necessary to be great then that player very well could be a good coach. Additionally it comes down to a player's ability to command respect, which is another crucial aspect to a coach's success.

ElSid
05-08-2010, 01:04 PM

injuries
lack of talent

Agreed on all fronts. Outwardly, Paulus had a great attitude. He didn't complain when he was relegated to the bench. But, I never got the sense that other players loved playing with him. Team chemistry in the Paulus years was not at a high point. Not pinning all of that on him...just some of it.

ElSid
05-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Paulus wasn't a super star, but he was a serviceable player in his four years at Duke. He averaged 8.6 PPG, 3.4 APG, shot 42% from the field and 40% from three point land, and 78% from the free throw stripe. Those are certainly solid numbers. I'd also almost guarantee you Paulus was a better player than Coach K was at Army, and Coach K has turned out all right. Bob Knight in interviews constantly says he "told Mike not to shoot. That wasn't his role and he understood it better than any other player I've ever coached" (slightly paraphrasing...)

Paulus was also a glaring defensive liability. Undersized, slow, no hops. His shooting wasn't terrible. When he didn't have JJ and Shelden to throw the ball to, he wasn't that great at passing. I defended this guy during his playing days vehemently because I want to root for Duke, but in hindsight, I just don't think he was great for the program.

formerdukeathlete
05-09-2010, 09:41 AM
This is a joke, right, the negative, Paulus was not good for the Program posts?

As to his level of success, and whether he in fact was a successful player at Duke, it is misleading to quote career points, statistics rather than analyzing these year to year. Focus on the sophomore and junior seasons, that he started as a freshman, that in his 2 and 3rd years,

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=497

where he averaged just shy of 12 points per game, mostly 3 pointers, with a hit percentage of well over 40%. Over 5 assists per game as a freshman. Playing time peaked as a sophomore, but even as a junior he played over 3 / 4 ths of the minutes per game.

The judgmental negative posts are the sort of thing that K so strongly dislikes. Judging players negatively when in fact they have come to Duke worked hard under his system and delivered.

Watch the linked interview. Greg Paulus really looks the Football player now.

The innane negative is even more inappropriate considering the sacrifice Greg made in coming to Duke, forgoing Football at least through his freshman and sophomore years. He did this to play for K, yes, but Miami, Notre Dame, Syracuse and just about every other top program were ok with both sports. Had Greg gone out for Football his junior year, based on how well he did at Syracuse with a couple of months of preparation and the improvements he made later in the season, Ted Roof might have kept his job. And, we might be further on our way to recruiting other 5 star QBs to Duke.

Lets hope if Greg ends up in college basketball coaching it will be at Duke. His intelligence, toughness, competitiveness are very much like K's.

Tappan Zee Devil
05-09-2010, 10:01 AM

As to his level of success, and whether he in fact was a successful player at Duke, it is misleading to quote career points, statistics rather than analyzing these year to year. Focus on the sophomore and junior seasons, that he started as a freshman, that in his 2 and 3rd years,

where he averaged just shy of 12 points per game, mostly 3 pointers, with a hit percentage of well over 40%. Over 5 assists per game as a freshman. Playing time peaked as a sophomore, but even as a junior he played over 3 / 4 ths of the minutes per game.

The judgmental negative posts are the sort of thing that K so strongly dislikes. Judging players negatively when in fact they have come to Duke worked hard under his system and delivered.

The innane negative is even more inappropriate considering the sacrifice Greg made in coming to Duke, forgoing Football at least through his freshman and sophomore years. He did this to play for K, yes, but Miami, Notre Dame, Syracuse and just about every other top program were ok with both sports. Had Greg gone out for Football his junior year, based on how well he did at Syracuse with a couple of months of preparation and the improvements he made later in the season, Ted Roof might have kept his job. And, we might be further on our way to recruiting other 5 star QBs to Duke.

Lets hope if Greg ends up in college basketball coaching it will be at Duke. His intelligence, toughness, competitiveness are very much like K's.

FDA

I normally agree with very few of your points. But here you are right on. Greg bled Duke basketball. Whether or not we succeeded to the extent that people wanted with him as PG, he gave it his all (which was actually pretty good) and represented our University well. Some of the posts above are just embarassing.

formerdukeathlete
05-09-2010, 10:13 AM
with 3 of 5 practices completed, Coach Payton said:

"Early on, he’s (Greg's) done a good job of making decisions and locating the ball. He’s pretty interesting."

Payton also says some things about 7th round pick Sean Canfield and QBs in general:

“Yes. I like when you are in a setting like this, you really begin to look at new faces and you try to go in and really evaluate what you see. Sean (Canfield) was a guy we’ve seen some good things from and there are some things we liked that he did and is doing well. These other guys are here in good physical shape and ready for the opportunity. That’s been impressive, watching them operate, getting in and out of the huddle. Those are some of the more difficult things, can you get the play out of the huddle, can you get to the line of scrimmage with the proper snap count and all the other things that go into the mental aspect of getting the snap from center and running a play.”

http://www2.wjtv.com/jtv/sports/professional/professional_football/article/sean_payton_at_rookie_minicamp/142108/

'Canfield and former Syracuse quarterback Greg Paulus - who was coached by former Saints offensive coordinator Doug Marrone - are among those scrapping to get their chance to back up Brees.

It's a situation we'll explore a little more in Tuesday's Times-Picayune.'

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/05/new_orleans_saints_looking_for.html

This a guess, Paulus looks good so far and may look better than Canfield. Could lead to an invite to camp.

moonpie23
05-09-2010, 11:25 AM
i would wager that anyone with negative comments about greg paulus has never met him...

i defend him like a brother .......

"greg is a pure dukie through and through"

..................sam hodgin

ElSid
05-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Ha. You guys are hilarious.
Can't state an opinion that doesn't laud Greg Paulus without being called "inane" and "embarrassing"? I'm a Duke homer, but I'm also not an automaton. I just didn't love his style of play, thought he was a bad defensive match up for a lot of teams, and I simply wished we'd had a better point guard. Not questioning the guy's character. He was "fine" as a player but I don't think he was amazing and I doubt he'd be a great coach for Duke University. Of course, I could be completely wrong. It's a personal opinion.

I don't think he was outwardly bad for the program, but I just think we lacked "swag", as Austin Rivers puts it. Duke had its "swag" back this year. I recognize that rebuilding swag takes time. I thought our senior and junior leaders were just much better players. I think that translates to recruiting momentum.

Is this really a board where you can't question anything about Duke basketball without being name called?

JBDuke
05-09-2010, 02:47 PM
...Is this really a board where you can't question anything about Duke basketball without being name called?

No, but it is a board where, if you choose to denigrate the talents and/or contributions of a Duke player, you better bring a lot of evidence or have some very solid reasons why board readers should respect your opinion. Otherwise, you will get questioned and/or slammed yourself.

Big Pappa
05-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Paulus was also a glaring defensive liability. Undersized, slow, no hops. His shooting wasn't terrible. When he didn't have JJ and Shelden to throw the ball to, he wasn't that great at passing. I defended this guy during his playing days vehemently because I want to root for Duke, but in hindsight, I just don't think he was great for the program.

Is this really a board where you can't question anything about Duke basketball without being name called?

He shot 45% and 42% from 3 his so. and junior years and averaged in double digits both years. He was a career 77.5% from the line. His junior year he led the ACC with a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio and almost had more steals than turnovers (50 to 55). He was a second team Freshman All-American in 05'-06' and third team all ACC in 07'-08' and a 3 time Academic All-American.

It has nothing to do with "questioning" Duke basketball it has to do with being blatantly wrong with your facts. He was a good player and he was good for the program. Your opinions about him are not only insensitive about a guy who gave everything he had to Duke for 4 years, they are completely and utterly wrong.

Newton_14
05-09-2010, 03:43 PM

Well said. FDA. I must have watched a different player for 4 years than some of the other posters. This isn't TDD or IC, and the personal attacks on Greg's playing ability, contributions, and character are out of line and not appropriate on this board.

The guy played hurt, absorbed being the poster boy of hate, and yet through it all battled like a champion. People are quick to forget that he played his entire sophomore year on a bum foot, and got hurt again in preseason of his Senior year and never recovered from it. Had he been healthy his senior year he would have played a bigger role.

Was he the greatest player ever? No, and no one is saying he was. But he made a lot of contributions over his 4 years and represented Duke well. And he does not deserve the shots being thrown his way in this thread.

BD80
05-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Paulus was also a glaring defensive liability. Undersized, slow, no hops. ... he wasn't that great at passing. ... I just don't think he was great for the program.

Ha. You guys are hilarious.
Can't state an opinion that doesn't laud Greg Paulus without being called "inane" and "embarrassing"? ... thought he was a bad defensive match up for a lot of teams, and I simply wished we'd had a better point guard. Not questioning the guy's character. He was "fine" as a player but I don't think he was amazing and I doubt he'd be a great coach for Duke University. Of course, I could be completely wrong. It's a personal opinion. ...

This is a Duke board. Why would you WANT to make such negative comments about a former player?

Seriously. Why?

The discussion was about Greg as a potential coach. How does taking pot shots at his playing abilities contribute to the discussion regarding his potential as a coach?

LSanders
05-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Well said. FDA. I must have watched a different player for 4 years than some of the other posters. This isn't TDD or IC, and the personal attacks on Greg's playing ability, contributions, and character are out of line and not appropriate on this board.

The guy played hurt, absorbed being the poster boy of hate, and yet through it all battled like a champion. People are quick to forget that he played his entire sophomore year on a bum foot, and got hurt again in preseason of his Senior year and never recovered from it. Had he been healthy his senior year he would have played a bigger role.

Was he the greatest player ever? No, and no one is saying he was. But he made a lot of contributions over his 4 years and represented Duke well. And he does not deserve the shots being thrown his way in this thread.

Yes!! I thought I was joining a thread containing news and opinions about Greg's NFL shot and was mightily disturbed to read all the Greg-bashing posts.

Duke has been blessed to have many, many players who played with courage, passion, and intelligence over the years ... Traits displayed and celebrated by K and staff. Greg virtually always played with as much heart and competitive fire as anyone I've seen in royal blue. The guy is a winner and would, IMO, be an asset to the playing field or the sidelines of any team lucky enough to have him.

So ... Thanks to all the posters who effectively and thoughtfully told the "other side" of Greg's story.

No, but it is a board where, if you choose to denigrate the talents and/or contributions of a Duke player, you better bring a lot of evidence or have some very solid reasons why board readers should respect your opinion. Otherwise, you will get questioned and/or slammed yourself.

Thank God!!

ElSid
05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
y'all circled the wagons effectively. zheesh.
i'm pro duke so it's no use arguing. greg was part of the program for 4 years of a decade when it won more games than any other.
i hope he gets a look at the saints and makes us all proud.

Indoor66
05-09-2010, 05:05 PM
y'all circled the wagons effectively. zheesh.
i'm pro duke so it's no use arguing. greg was part of the program for 4 years of a decade when it won more games than any other.
i hope he gets a look at the saints and makes us all proud.

The previous posts were not circling the wagons. They were pointing out where you failed to support your assertions and provided the facts that refute your assertions. Maybe your finger-pointing should be reversed.

Paulus was a valuable contributor during his career. Have there been better players at Duke? Yes. Have there been worse? Yes. Have there been more dedicated players? Darn few.

ElSid
05-09-2010, 05:17 PM
The previous posts were not circling the wagons. They were pointing out where you failed to support your assertions and provided the facts that refute your assertions. Maybe your finger-pointing should be reversed.

Ok. Got it! Go Greg!

formerdukeathlete
05-09-2010, 07:19 PM
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/photos-and-videos/photo-gallery/2010-New-Orleans-Saints-Rookie-Mini-Camp/14ec7204-2941-4886-b51e-34551d20ce04

pics of Greg Paulus at his NFL audition, on the Saints website.

Bluedog
05-09-2010, 11:15 PM
So, what's the Saints QB situation like and how many do they expect to sign? This is simply a minicamp, and then they eventually get invited to camp, then potentially pre-season, and then get signed. So, there are still like 3 rounds of cuts. Let me see if I got this straight...

Obvious starter: Drew Brees

Chase Daniel (2nd year in NFL; was with Saints last season) - Missouri
Sean Canfield (Selected in 7th round) - Oregon State

Brought in for rookie minicamp:
A.J. McKenna - Albany State
Greg Paulus - Syracuse

Mark Brunell (17-year veteran, played with Saints last yr; could re-sign)

Others possible via free agency:
Patrick Ramsey (9-yr veteran; played with Lions last yr)
Josh McCown (9-yr veteran; played with Panthers last yr)

Most teams have, what, three QBs on a roster? So, it appears that it's still an uphill battle for Paulus and he'd have to have a great workout to have a chance. But he's proven that he's capable of surprising people in the past. I wish him the best!

formerdukeathlete
05-10-2010, 06:24 AM
So, what's the Saints QB situation like and how many do they expect to sign? This is simply a minicamp, and then they eventually get invited to camp, then potentially pre-season, and then get signed. So, there are still like 3 rounds of cuts. Let me see if I got this straight...

Obvious starter: Drew Brees

Chase Daniel (2nd year in NFL; was with Saints last season) - Missouri
Sean Canfield (Selected in 7th round) - Oregon State

Brought in for rookie minicamp:
A.J. McKenna - Albany State
Greg Paulus - Syracuse

Mark Brunell (17-year veteran, played with Saints last yr; could re-sign)

Others possible via free agency:
Patrick Ramsey (9-yr veteran; played with Lions last yr)
Josh McCown (9-yr veteran; played with Panthers last yr)

Most teams have, what, three QBs on a roster? So, it appears that it's still an uphill battle for Paulus and he'd have to have a great workout to have a chance. But he's proven that he's capable of surprising people in the past. I wish him the best!

that's basically the progression, except that were Greg invited to camp, the Saints typically would sign Greg prior to the start of camp.

The Saints worked out Ramsey and McCown before the draft, yet decided to draft Canfield. Canfield had a good senior year, all Pac 10, had a shoulder injury during the prior year. The scouting report on Canfield, "He has prototypical NFL size and release but has always struggled to come up big when under pressure. He does a good job of reading coverages and making pre-snap reads but can struggle when things break down and he needs to improvise or make plays on the move. He has enough of an arm to make most of the throws needed in the NFL but lacks the cannon needed to hit small windows or hit receivers in stride on the deep outs." http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/sean-canfield?id=497104 Sounds like some of his weaknesses may be Greg's strengths.

Throwing to receivers at on campus pro days is one thing. Looking at film of a player after a 5 year layoff and a couple of months back into Football is another. Mini camps give the coaches a lot more to work with and think about.

DevilHorns
05-10-2010, 09:14 AM
I hope that since Greg is a little undersized for an NFL qb and a few other dings (same questionmarks as Brees' had) that they see him as a good fit for a backup qb position if bad luck strikes the starters. His size and strengths allign with Brees', at least superficially.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-10-2010, 12:14 PM
I think that Paulus was a very valuable contributor throughout his time at Duke. Some of the adversity he faced will actually help him to be a better coach IF and when he decides to go into coaching - he will better be able to relate to players who are struggling or not playing as much, unlike a coach who has never struggled.

Question for those who know more about the NFL: do teams tend to carry a QB on the practice squad? I would think they wouldn't, but perhaps that could be an opportunity for Greg as well, particularly since he is behind his peers in terms of the number of reps he has seen.

SupaDave
05-10-2010, 04:53 PM
I think that Paulus was a very valuable contributor throughout his time at Duke. Some of the adversity he faced will actually help him to be a better coach IF and when he decides to go into coaching - he will better be able to relate to players who are struggling or not playing as much, unlike a coach who has never struggled.

Question for those who know more about the NFL: do teams tend to carry a QB on the practice squad? I would think they wouldn't, but perhaps that could be an opportunity for Greg as well, particularly since he is behind his peers in terms of the number of reps he has seen.

A good portion of NFL teams keep QBs on the practice squad. It just depends on how many QBs they carry on their roster. Just last year - the Pats elevated a QB from their practice squad and made him a WR. Julian Edelmen to be exact. The Pats actually carried 4 QBs on their roster last year and Edelman was listed as a WR by year's end.

Teams that carry three QBs (a la last year's Eagles) would not normally keep more than one QB on the practice squad.

A team like the Saints most definitley would b/c that QB tends to get to do scout team work. Greg has a great chance in a familiar system...

SilkyJ
05-10-2010, 06:00 PM
He does a good job of reading coverages and making pre-snap reads but can struggle when things break down and he needs to improvise or make plays on the move. He has enough of an arm to make most of the throws needed in the NFL but lacks the cannon needed to hit small windows or hit receivers in stride on the deep outs." http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/sean-canfield?id=497104 Sounds like some of his weaknesses may be Greg's strengths.

But it also sounds like they have a common weakness: arm strength.

NovaScotian
05-10-2010, 06:56 PM
are sure this isn't just a good-willed favor called in by doug marrone? wasn't he an assistant in NO?

SupaDave
05-10-2010, 07:31 PM
are sure this isn't just a good-willed favor called in by doug marrone? wasn't he an assistant in NO?

The NFL is indeed an unusual workplace known for "phone calls" but familiarity will only get you as far as any other place in America. Once you get there you've still gotta perform and if they haven't already spent big money on you - then you've gotta do it sooner than later.

formerdukeathlete
05-10-2010, 08:43 PM
So far apparently the Saints have signed two from mini camp http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/05/new_orleans_saints_sign_two_mo.html, including a linebacker who is not as fast as Paulus in the 40. I'd expect we would hear more in the next couple of days.

Newton_14
05-10-2010, 09:46 PM
A good portion of NFL teams keep QBs on the practice squad. It just depends on how many QBs they carry on their roster. Just last year - the Pats elevated a QB from their practice squad and made him a WR. Julian Edelmen to be exact. The Pats actually carried 4 QBs on their roster last year and Edelman was listed as a WR by year's end.

Teams that carry three QBs (a la last year's Eagles) would not normally keep more than one QB on the practice squad.

A team like the Saints most definitley would b/c that QB tends to get to do scout team work. Greg has a great chance in a familiar system...

I am not ready to bet against Paulus making it in the NFL as a backup QB. The Saints would be a nice fit. And call me crazie, but I think he also would have a decent chance of making it as a slot receiver. A poor man's Wes Welker if you will. Not out of the realm of possibilty.

If we have learned anything from watching Greg, it is "do not bet against him". Many poor souls bet their entire reputations that Greg "would never see a college football field" and there was a dining table full of crow eaten on that one.

SupaDave
05-10-2010, 10:15 PM
I am not ready to bet against Paulus making it in the NFL as a backup QB. The Saints would be a nice fit. And call me crazie, but I think he also would have a decent chance of making it as a slot receiver. A poor man's Wes Welker if you will. Not out of the realm of possibilty.

If we have learned anything from watching Greg, it is "do not bet against him". Many poor souls bet their entire reputations that Greg "would never see a college football field" and there was a dining table full of crow eaten on that one.

You actually aren't too far from reality. One of the advantages of the scout team is that you MAY have to play different positions.

It's the same reason why a "slow" line backer can be picked up, b/c he may be a "fast" defensive end.

Big Pappa
05-11-2010, 12:02 AM

I agree. The kind of heart and desire that Greg have are not easy to find. IMO they are not worth trading a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick to take him with the 25th pick in the first round when, in all likelihood, he will drop to you in the third or fourth.

Anyway, Greg is a talented and dedicated guy that will succeed in whatever he does. It may be the NFL and it may not, but whatever it is I am pulling for him.

formerdukeathlete
05-11-2010, 08:55 AM

dont bet against Greg

nola.com reports Greg signed a free agent contract with the Saints.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/05/competition_to_become_drew_bre.html

this is big, means he played well at mini camp, as noted by Coach Payton's comments.

SupaDave
05-11-2010, 10:48 AM
dont bet against Greg

nola.com reports Greg signed a free agent contract with the Saints.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/05/competition_to_become_drew_bre.html

this is big, means he played well at mini camp, as noted by Coach Payton's comments.

Good deal FDA!!!!! This thread title is officially changed...

SupaDave
05-11-2010, 11:24 AM
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/05/syracuse_quarterback_greg_paul.html

ElSid
05-11-2010, 11:39 AM
awesome. hope he surprises everyone.
watched the citrusTV link someone posted on here. great interview. certainly sounds genuine and positive, which i knew he was already. i feel slightly bad for saying he was "bad for the program" but that was never meant to be about greg, the person, just about style of play on the team, and me being spoiled and wishing for someone like jason williams to be on duke every year (which we obviously don't require to win NCs). i'll still get heat for that but i'll take it. i appreciate his contribution and think if he can even make the practice squad it would be a truly amazing story that reflects well on greg and on duke.

Troublemaker
05-11-2010, 11:55 AM
I agree. The kind of heart and desire that Greg have are not easy to find. IMO they are not worth trading a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick to take him with the 25th pick in the first round when, in all likelihood, he will drop to you in the third or fourth.

There was no way Tebow was going to last past the second round, imo. Even if you're not a fan of his QB skills between the 20s, he would've been worth a second round pick just for being an excellent short-yardage, goalline weapon and for his intangibles. Football coaches love the guy.

Maybe not literally impossible but pretty far-fetched. Wes Welker, even though he is a short white guy, is a physical freak. Amazing change of direction skills, quickness, and hands, perfect for the slot. You can't just plug anyone into the slot and expect him to be a poor man's Welker.

Anyway, good luck to Greg. I'm very happy that he was invited to a minicamp and I think he chose the right team to compete for a job with. The odds are probably still stacked against him but beating out either Chase Daniel or Sean Canfield for the 3rd QB position on a team isn't impossibly daunting. If Sean Payton likes what he sees from Greg, there's also the option of being a practice squad player.

ElSid
05-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Greg Paulus leading the Saints against Tim Tebow's Broncos. If only we could get Redick involved in some capacity, you'd have a triple play of players people loved to hate. Duke wins!

SupaDave
05-11-2010, 12:36 PM
awesome. hope he surprises everyone.
watched the citrusTV link someone posted on here. great interview. certainly sounds genuine and positive, which i knew he was already. i feel slightly bad for saying he was "bad for the program" but that was never meant to be about greg, the person, just about style of play on the team, and me being spoiled and wishing for someone like jason williams to be on duke every year (which we obviously don't require to win NCs). i'll still get heat for that but i'll take it. i appreciate his contribution and think if he can even make the practice squad it would be a truly amazing story that reflects well on greg and on duke.

Let's not rehash whatever negative you may have and focus on Greg's moves going forward.

Big Pappa
05-11-2010, 03:38 PM
There was no way Tebow was going to last past the second round, imo. Even if you're not a fan of his QB skills between the 20s, he would've been worth a second round pick just for being an excellent short-yardage, goalline weapon and for his intangibles. Football coaches love the guy.

Since this is a Greg thread I won't debate you on Tebow's ability or even where he was drafted. All I will say is that, using your points, there have been many excellent short-yardage, goal line weapons, and intangible filled players who don't go in the first round. You basically just described a fullback with really good intangibles. Something you could easily get in the 3rd-4th rounds of the draft and someone that you shouldn't mortgage your entire draft for.

Anyway, I'm so happy for Greg and I wish him a long and happy career.

Greg_Newton
05-11-2010, 04:06 PM
I wonder if there has ever been another athlete who played basketball and not football during his entire undergraduate career and then went on to receive an NFL contract?

BD80
05-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I wonder if there has ever been another athlete who played basketball and not football during his entire undergraduate career and then went on to receive an NFL contract?

Antonio Gates

tbyers11
05-11-2010, 04:09 PM

Antonio Gates only played basketball at Kent State.

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-11-2010, 04:12 PM
This is great, I hope he becomes a Star...

Big Pappa
05-11-2010, 04:24 PM

Antonio Gates only played basketball at Kent State.

I don't think its fair to compare Gates to Greg... Greg will be WAY better!! I'm just glad we aren't putting any pressure on him.

roywhite
05-11-2010, 04:29 PM

Here's a trivia question. This former NFL player was a very good college basketball player who has the added distinction of playing in a win vs Duke in Cameron. Who was it?

formerdukeathlete
05-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Here's a trivia question. This former NFL player was a very good college basketball player who has the added distinction of playing in a win vs Duke in Cameron. Who was it?

you got it, roy, that guy was Sam Clancy.

4 QBs going into camp for the Saints, and Greg may have out impressed at least one of them (already) in mini camp.

roywhite
05-11-2010, 04:44 PM
you got it, roy, that guy was Sam Clancy.

Very good, fda...

Clancy and Gene Banks knew each other from some all-star basketball games in Pennsylvania. Had some spirited contests...Pitt actually won at Duke and then Duke won up there the following year.

Tinkerbell might have been a decent football player. I could still picture Jason Williams as a very good running back.

Troublemaker
05-11-2010, 05:53 PM
You basically just described a fullback with really good intangibles. Something you could easily get in the 3rd-4th rounds of the draft...

No, fullbacks aren't a dual threat like Tebow is. That is what will make him dangerous in short yardage situations, like how a basketball player is much more dangerous when he can both shoot and drive, imo.

there have been many excellent short-yardage, goal line weapons, and intangible filled players who don't go in the first round.

It's possible Denver reached for Tebow but I'm not sure how one goes about determining what his proper value should be since there's never been a prospect quite like him. That's the underrated thing about Tebow; he's actually a rare physical specimen. Try naming players from previous drafts that were 6'3", 245 lbs, ran a 4.7 and leapt 38" at the combine, beat all the other QBs in agility drills (cone, shuttle) at the combine, threw for 80+ TDs in college with a 66% completion percentage, and ran for 57 more TDs, all against SEC-level competition. Again, I'm not sure he should've been a first-rounder but I don't think this rare level of athlete should've been a mid-rounder, either.

hedevil
05-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Congrats Greg!!

Just for the record, I'm a Chargers fan. If Greg can have half the success of Antonio Gates (and I think he can), that will make for a great life for Greg. This seems like an ideal way for Paulus to enter the league, where he can learn behind one of the better quarterbacks in the NFL. Maybe one day he'll be a Charger. A dream come true!

BD80
05-11-2010, 06:26 PM

Julius Peppers?

roywhite
05-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Julius Peppers?

Yeah, unfortunately both Julius Peppers and Ronald Curry played in this game:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20010201

Newton_14
05-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Maybe not literally impossible but pretty far-fetched. Wes Welker, even though he is a short white guy, is a physical freak. Amazing change of direction skills, quickness, and hands, perfect for the slot. You can't just plug anyone into the slot and expect him to be a poor man's Welker.

Ummmm.. I see more similarities in the two beyond race and height. You are correct that Welker is the Gold Standard, no argument there. But Greg is quick, has great hands, and contrary to popular belief is a good athlete.

It is a reach, I admit. But I can see him in that role.

Either way, I hope he makes it no matter what the position. He took a great first step with this signing so congrats to him on that one!

Go Greg Paulus! Prove the naysayers wrong!

SupaDave
05-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Julius Peppers?

Peppers is still playing by the way...

SupaDave
05-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Ummmm.. I see more similarities in the two beyond race and height. You are correct that Welker is the Gold Standard, no argument there. But Greg is quick, has great hands, and contrary to popular belief is a good athlete.

Either way, I hope he makes it no matter what the position. He took a great first step with this signing so congrats to him on that one!

To be honest Welker didn't start putting up monster stats until the Pats. He was however a MAJOR standout on special teams. At this point, his vision is light years ahead of Greg - but take a look at Welker's first years. Oh yeah - Welker wasn't drafted either...

Big Pappa
05-11-2010, 08:01 PM

To be honest Welker didn't start putting up monster stats until the Pats. He was however a MAJOR standout on special teams. At this point, his vision is light years ahead of Greg - but take a look at Welker's first years. Oh yeah - Welker wasn't drafted either...

I gotta agree with Trouble. The biggest difference between Greg and Wes is that Wes played football for 4 years in college and did really well. He finished with over 3000 yards and 21 touchdowns, he also ran for just under 500 yards. His senior year he won the Mosi Tatupu award for the best special teams player in the nation, he is still tied for the most punt returns for tds ever.

Greg is a great guy and a great athlete but Wes is not a fair comparison.

SupaDave
05-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I gotta agree with Trouble. The biggest difference between Greg and Wes is that Wes played football for 4 years in college and did really well. He finished with over 3000 yards and 21 touchdowns, he also ran for just under 500 yards. His senior year he won the Mosi Tatupu award for the best special teams player in the nation, he is still tied for the most punt returns for tds ever.

Greg is a great guy and a great athlete but Wes is not a fair comparison.

But the fact of the matter is that they can be compared. To be a slot receiver you must first be tough. Greg has got that. If you search the early Paulus football threads you will see I have ALWAYS been high on Paulus' football skills.

You yourself should know that while top speed matters in breakaway runs in football, you don't necessarily run FULL speed during plays.

But honestly, that arguement is neither here or there for me. I'm a proponent of Paulus the QB. The guy who just keeps proving me right...

moonpie23
05-11-2010, 11:11 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/11/greg-paulus-is-not-a-member-of-the-saints/

Troublemaker
05-11-2010, 11:19 PM

Well, I don't want to belabor the point, but while Greg is quick among the general human population, he is not quick among NFL receivers and especially not quick compared to Welker who ran legendary short shuttle times that demonstrate his incredible ability to cut on a dime. At Syracuse's Pro Day this year, Greg ran an average short shuttle time (pretty good for a QB, though!) and very slow 40s (4.89 seconds) if you're talking about an NFL receiver. I'm not sure how to rate Greg's hands since I've never seen him play WR. But, at any rate, I think we're both much more interested in how he fares at QB anyway. I'm pretty encouraged that Sean Payton, regarded as an offensive/QB guru, thought enough of Greg to bring him to minicamp and praised him afterwards.

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-11-2010, 11:24 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/11/greg-paulus-is-not-a-member-of-the-saints/

Wait What?

Big Pappa
05-12-2010, 12:31 AM
But the fact of the matter is that they can be compared. To be a slot receiver you must first be tough. Greg has got that. If you search the early Paulus football threads you will see I have ALWAYS been high on Paulus' football skills.

You yourself should know that while top speed matters in breakaway runs in football, you don't necessarily run FULL speed during plays.

But honestly, that arguement is neither here or there for me. I'm a proponent of Paulus the QB. The guy who just keeps proving me right...

I am glad you are high on his football skills, I am too. He was a fantastic high school player but a so-so college player. In his defense he only played one year with virtually no experience. I think he has a lot of football skill and can be an asset to an NFL team whether that's in the film room or on the practice field. I don't see him being a successful starting QB but I sure hope he is.

The discussion we were having is about him compared to Wes. As Trouble pointed out, he is not particularly quick or fast for an NFL receiver while Wes is super quick (4.01 shuttle) and fast enough (4.65 40). All in all I just don't see it as an accurate comparison, obviously you can compare them I just don't think it is fair to Greg. Wes played receiver for 4 years in college and Greg played QB for one, that just doesn't translate into a good comparison IMO.

Big Pappa
05-12-2010, 12:33 AM
BTW I think the name of this thread needs to be changed:

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/Paulus-fails-to-make-Saints-but-takes-step-in-right-direction-93457839.html

CameronBornAndBred
05-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Maybe there's a CFL team that would look at him.

SupaDave
05-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Very interesting turn of circumstances. I'll have to take a closer look here.

formerdukeathlete
06-05-2010, 09:53 AM
http://www.sunherald.com/2010/06/04/2234249/shockey-sharper-command-attention.html

The Saints brought former Duke basketball star Greg Paulus back in for a three-day tryout, in part to limit the burden on Super Bowl MVP Drew Brees. Paulus played quarterback for one season at Syracuse, and the only other quarterbacks on the Saints’ roster are Chase Daniel and seventh-round draft choice Sean Canfield.

“I’ve heard a lot of good things about Greg,” Brees said. “If he can get a chance here, or maybe someplace else, who knows?”

DevilHorns
06-05-2010, 10:56 AM
http://www.sunherald.com/2010/06/04/2234249/shockey-sharper-command-attention.html

The Saints brought former Duke basketball star Greg Paulus back in for a three-day tryout, in part to limit the burden on Super Bowl MVP Drew Brees. Paulus played quarterback for one season at Syracuse, and the only other quarterbacks on the Saints’ roster are Chase Daniel and seventh-round draft choice Sean Canfield.

“I’ve heard a lot of good things about Greg,” Brees said. “If he can get a chance here, or maybe someplace else, who knows?”

Awesome for Greg. Good luck!

Also a nice compliment from Drew Brees. I'm not a Saints fan so don't really know the back-up QB situation with Chase Daniel and Sean Canfield but hopefully Greg has a chance to beat one of them out.

COYS
06-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Awesome for Greg. Good luck!

Also a nice compliment from Drew Brees. I'm not a Saints fan so don't really know the back-up QB situation with Chase Daniel and Sean Canfield but hopefully Greg has a chance to beat one of them out.

I would think he has a good chance. Chase Daniels is significantly undersized. He had a great run at Missouri but his lack of size is a serious obstacle for him. Canfield out of Oregon State has the physique to be an NFL QB, but he never really emerged as a true star in college. Greg's definitely got a shot.

Osiagledknarf
06-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I think he has a great shot here. As you said below, Chase Daniel is undersized and really doesn't have much of a pocket presence. Canfield is a case of a Quarterback which really never showed off his full potential in college. However, he does still have some upside, so he will be the chief competitor I believe to be back the backup behind Brees.

Remember this now as well... If Paulus has a good preseason then he could be looked at other teams even if the Saints decide to go with a Veteran behind Brees. Keep in mind of the Quarterbacks that have gone in 6th round- on:

Tony Romo, Trent Green, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Matt Cassel and Matt Shuab. Pretty impressive list of guys... I am NOT saying that Paulus will be as good as one of these guys, but it has happen before, and in Cassel's case, he didn't play in college at all.

So hopefully he can make a NFL team out there even if isn't the Saints.

formerdukeathlete
06-06-2010, 07:42 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iKNXpJ42lBkho45rRvGYhQuDCa0wD9G5D5B80

' Although Paulus is focusing on football now, the first NFL team to give him a look was the same one that drafted Miami tight end Jimmy Graham, a converted basketball player himself whose four years as a Hurricanes power forward coincided with Paulus' four seasons playing point guard at Duke.

"We'd have a good basketball team," Paulus joked after practice this weekend. "We could run the pick-and-roll. We could have some fun."

Paulus and Graham were rivals in the ACC from the 2005-06 through 2008-09 college basketball seasons. This weekend, they've been working on the same football field in suburban New Orleans and carpooling to practice.

"It's a little bit different, but it's fun," Paulus said. "To switch sports, it's a very difficult thing, so to have this type of opportunity, it's something we were hoping for when we made the decision to play football a year ago."

Graham said it was "weird" to see Paulus joining him at Saints practice, "because I played him four years in basketball and threw his layups — or him — out of bounds a couple times."

"He's a smart player, obviously going to Duke," Graham continued. "He hasn't necessarily had as much time as the rest of us with the offense, but he catches on quick and is definitely a good football player. Anybody that gets him, or if he stays here, has a smart quarterback." '

formerdukeathlete
06-07-2010, 09:39 AM
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/06/new_orleans_saints_notes_qb_gr.html

New Orleans Saints notes: QB Greg Paulus on bubble

' The Saints obviously like Paulus, whom they first invited to their rookie camp last month. He appears to handle himself well on the field and he clearly possesses some of those intangible personality traits Payton values highly in his quarterbacks.

But the Saints drafted a quarterback in April, and last year the team only kept two signal-callers active on its roster. Chase Daniel, who ran the Saints practice squad in 2009 as the third quarterback, showed no reason he should drop on the depth chart at minicamp and there is always the possibility the Saints will still sign a veteran backup as the calendar moves toward the July 29 training camp opener.

In other words, there are more guys wearing red jerseys at practice than the Saints are going to have in a couple of months.

Payton diplomatically avoided the issue, however, when asked about Paulus.

"He did well," Payton said. "He's someone that gets us in and out of the huddle. He has quickly picked up on what we're doing. I think he's a good decision maker. I'm glad he was back. We saw some good things in the rookie minicamp and again in this camp. He gets limited reps, but he's someone that can handle everything you're installing and take it to the field." '

Wildcat
06-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Wow, can't believe we are still hoping for Greg to find employment as a professional athlete in any sport. He had a good career at Duke and performed well, at times with Syracuse; seems as though he is still keeping hopes alive for a chance at a "big pay-day." Good luck G, but at some point, you gotta put that prestigious degree you got to work and join the rest of us. He shoulda thought about football more while he was still at Duke. His name alone warrants him second and third looks at the professional level; but even the name has a shelf life in the sports world. Hang in there buddy; keep hope alive.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Wow, can't believe we are still hoping for Greg to find employment as a professional athlete in any sport. He had a good career at Duke and performed well, at times with Syracuse; seems as though he is still keeping hopes alive for a chance at a "big pay-day." Good luck G, but at some point, you gotta put that prestigious degree you got to work and join the rest of us. He shoulda thought about football more while he was still at Duke. His name alone warrants him second and third looks at the professional level; but even the name has a shelf life in the sports world. Hang in there buddy; keep hope alive.
I must say that this is not my favorite post in this thread. Don't like the negative tone at all (not a personal attack, but a comment on your outlook). Greg will earn a professional paycheck from someone in either football or basketball, at some high level, for several years, until he turns his long term attention to coaching, probably in basketball.

toooskies
06-07-2010, 06:09 PM
The fact that he's being quoted as picking things up well means that he's an ideal 3rd QB candidate on any NFL roster. That person on the roster almost always has the responsibility of running the scout team against the first-string defense. So you need someone there who can pick up new plays frequently. The job is as much to make the defense better as it is to contribute on offense.

Also, a seventh-round pick is not a guy who has a guaranteed spot on the roster. Canfield was chosen 239th out of 255 overall picks. It's not far-fetched to see a seventh-round guy get beaten out by a FA. Canfield was on the "perceived best available" list at that point, but that doesn't mean Paulus isn't a better potential QB.

Big Pappa
06-07-2010, 06:37 PM
I must say that this is not my favorite post in this thread. Don't like the negative tone at all (not a personal attack, but a comment on your outlook). Greg will earn a professional paycheck from someone in either football or basketball, at some high level, for several years, until he turns his long term attention to coaching, probably in basketball.

I agree and I think that we should be supporting Greg in whatever he decides to do. That aside, I do think that Greg will be successful at whatever he decides to do; whether it's playing, coaching, or studying to be a doctor (that isn't a rumor it's just an example).

Greg has the intangibles, will, and confidence that it takes to excel in any field and I know he will be successful for many years to come.

DevilHorns
06-07-2010, 06:45 PM

I agree and I think that we should be supporting Greg in whatever he decides to do. That aside, I do think that Greg will be successful at whatever he decides to do; whether it's playing, coaching, or studying to be a doctor (that isn't a rumor it's just an example).

Greg has the intangibles, will, and confidence that it takes to excel in any field and I know he will be successful for many years to come.

Agreed. He is getting another shot at making the team. They called him back for a reason; they obviously can tell he is talented and has the potential even after only one year of college football. It's absurd to think that he should just call it in now and "start using his degree like the rest of us" since he is not guaranteed a spot. If he can't make an NFL roster, then he has several options playing football or basketball in other professional leagues.

Good luck Greg!

oldnavy
06-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Greg will do wonderful things whether it is on a field of play or in a boardroom some where. The kid is a winner, and a good person. GO GREG, best of luck in whatever happens. AND THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AT DUKE!!

formerdukeathlete
06-08-2010, 11:54 AM

http://whodatdish.com/2010/06/07/patrick-ramsey-to-sign-with-the-saints-before-training-camp/

suggestion is that Patrick Ramsey will be signed before camp to compete for a spot. and mention of Greg, 'Payton has said that Paulus is “on the bubble” so the chance exists he could be in the mix as well.'

The Saints wont be considering Greg for the name, or the novelty.

Also, you are aware, right, that Greg was prohibited from going out for Football until his junior year, because he had signed a basketball letter of intent? And, planning for his junior and going into his senior years he was starting at the point for Duke.

If Greg can learn the playbook so quickly at Syracuse, perhaps there is a chance he has already impressed the Saints enough, and perhaps there is a chance he can win a roster spot. Its a bit more than "keep hope alive."

SupaDave
06-08-2010, 05:25 PM
http://whodatdish.com/2010/06/07/patrick-ramsey-to-sign-with-the-saints-before-training-camp/

suggestion is that Patrick Ramsey will be signed before camp to compete for a spot. and mention of Greg, 'Payton has said that Paulus is “on the bubble” so the chance exists he could be in the mix as well.'

Also, you are aware, right, that Greg was prohibited from going out for Football until his junior year, because he had signed a basketball letter of intent? And, planning for his junior and going into his senior years he was starting at the point for Duke.

If Greg can learn the playbook so quickly at Syracuse, perhaps there is a chance he has already impressed the Saints enough, and perhaps there is a chance he can win a roster spot. Its a bit more than "keep hope alive."

One foot in the door baby!!!

Big Pappa
06-09-2010, 01:07 AM

The first two spots are pretty much guaranteed to Brees and Chase Daniels with Ramsey, Josh McCown, and Rookie Sean Canfield from Oregon State all still in the mix for the third spot along with Greg.

formerdukeathlete
06-09-2010, 02:12 PM
The first two spots are pretty much guaranteed to Brees and Chase Daniels with Ramsey, Josh McCown, and Rookie Sean Canfield from Oregon State all still in the mix for the third spot along with Greg.

I know the Saints have worked out McCown, but dont think he was at the mini camp and dont see that he is still in the equation. You have some info. to post on that? Seems to me that the only lock in the pecking order is Brees. That Payton may have more of than a hunch about Paulus. If you followed the developments at Syracuse last summer and fall, players were quoted that in the informal workouts very early on, in 7 on 7 drills, when the lights went on in the Carrier Dome, Greg lit it up, etc. Sure, this is a whole other level, and Greg will have to perform very well, if in fact he goes to camp. Tim Green, former Syracuse and NFL player http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Green apparently thinks Greg may have a 15 year NFL career http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=185&f=2826&t=6010056
A guess, but if Greg is in camp and wins a roster spot, it will because Coach Payton thinks he has the most potential next to Drew Brees, even more so than Daniels.