PDA

View Full Version : Duke Athletics Tour 2010 - Cutcliffe Talk

CLT Devil
05-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Couach Cut came to Charlotte Tuesday night to give his annual (now in it's 3rd year) talk about Duke Football and the prospects for the upcoming year. For those of you who have never heard him speak in a setting like this you really should make an effort to go if he is coming to a city near you.

Couple of notes:
Renfree coming along better than expected

Got a new recruiter who is very respected in the Charlotte and NC area, has already worked wonders.

The Cornell head coach left his position to come coach at Duke as an assistant. I think this speaks volumes to the level of loyalty people have to Cut.

There have already been 6,000 more season tickets sold this year than last year...impressive.

In all, he is building something here, and said that the kind of kids that he gets to coach are so special that he loves his job that much more.

In all, depending on the play of Renfree, we could be a really good team, lots of talent at the skill positions.

alteran
05-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Couach Cut came to Charlotte Tuesday night to give his annual (now in it's 3rd year) talk about Duke Football and the prospects for the upcoming year. For those of you who have never heard him speak in a setting like this you really should make an effort to go if he is coming to a city near you.

Couple of notes:
Renfree coming along better than expected

Got a new recruiter who is very respected in the Charlotte and NC area, has already worked wonders.

The Cornell head coach left his position to come coach at Duke as an assistant. I think this speaks volumes to the level of loyalty people have to Cut.

There have already been 6,000 more season tickets sold this year than last year...impressive.

In all, he is building something here, and said that the kind of kids that he gets to coach are so special that he loves his job that much more.

In all, depending on the play of Renfree, we could be a really good team, lots of talent at the skill positions.

Thanks for the update.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-06-2010, 12:05 PM
If you're not sure whether you're a fan of Duke football or if you're not sure you want to invest in season football tickets, please make a point of going to hear Coach Cutcliffe speak at one of the events scheduled on the "tour."

He's a special person who is so down to earth that you'll feel as if you've known him forever. He's an interesting speaker who knows football well yet can make his points appeal to listeners with a variety of points of view.

Spend an evening with Coach Cutcliffe and you'll leave feeling excited about Duke football.

DukeSean
05-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Spend an evening with Coach Cutcliffe and you'll leave feeling excited about Duke football.

I get excited about Duke football just reading about it. Would love to hear him speak in person one day.

30scheyer
05-06-2010, 12:21 PM
I saw Cutliffe speak a couple of weeks ago at my son's Blue Devil Days closing ceremonies. He promised the incoming class that he would get the team to a bowl game and an ACC Championship during their 4 years.

He is quite the charming speaker with that Southern drawl.

I wish him and team luck! I am a new football season ticket holder; I hope I don't get stuck on Sept. 18 sitting next to those AL fans who are buying up the season tix.

Gewebe14
05-06-2010, 01:08 PM

I apologize for nitpicking, but actually the new coach they hired does not have a particular connection to Charlotte - the way Coach Cut was talking about it made it seem like he did, but this guy a Nate James Style recruiter with a national (mostly West Coast) footprint. He brought many many 5/4 stars to ASU over the past few years.

DukeSean
05-06-2010, 01:12 PM
I saw Cutliffe speak a couple of weeks ago at my son's Blue Devil Days closing ceremonies. He promised the incoming class that he would get the team to a bowl game and an ACC Championship during their 4 years.

The promise of a bowl game is not surprising, given their recent numerical increase. But promise of an ACC championship is a big thing. Hopefully they all deliver!

CLT Devil
05-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I apologize for nitpicking, but actually the new coach they hired does not have a particular connection to Charlotte - the way Coach Cut was talking about it made it seem like he did, but this guy a Nate James Style recruiter with a national (mostly West Coast) footprint. He brought many many 5/4 stars to ASU over the past few years.

Were you there in Charlotte? Yeah, I think you are right as far as his background, but he also brought in the recruit that was there and Cut said Charlotte was a priority and the guy had already gotten a few. You're not nitpicking, I was just trying to convey what all was said and please feel free to add or correct my post.

I wanted to share as much as I could because Cut has a way of making one a believer. I wanted him to come speak at a local club here in Charlotte, The Sportsman Club, and through some connections spoke with his secretary and let her know who else had talked to our group. When I let her know coaches from the Big 4 NC schools had all been there except for him I got an immediate call back. He really won over the crowd, which is a good mix of all schools, but mainly UNC and State grads which reflects the population of CLT. Cut remembered me from that event, and basically gave me his number and told me to call him next time I was in Durham so I could see his office and get a tour....man was I blown away! And for the record I am an Iron Duke but in no way am I a big fish, or even a tadpole. He did it because he wants people to fall back in love with Duke FB, just like everyone loves our BBall team.

In all, he as a vision and I think if he sticks around long enough he can become a legend. You just get that sense in dealing with him. I'm not saying we are going to be playing in any BCS Bowl Championship games, but I don't see why we can't at least be in the hunt in the ACC from what he has said...and even as soon as this year.

Gewebe14
05-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Were you there in Charlotte? Yeah, I think you are right as far as his background, but he also brought in the recruit that was there and Cut said Charlotte was a priority and the guy had already gotten a few. You're not nitpicking, I was just trying to convey what all was said and please feel free to add or correct my post.

I wanted to share as much as I could because Cut has a way of making one a believer. I wanted him to come speak at a local club here in Charlotte, The Sportsman Club, and through some connections spoke with his secretary and let her know who else had talked to our group. When I let her know coaches from the Big 4 NC schools had all been there except for him I got an immediate call back. He really won over the crowd, which is a good mix of all schools, but mainly UNC and State grads which reflects the population of CLT. Cut remembered me from that event, and basically gave me his number and told me to call him next time I was in Durham so I could see his office and get a tour....man was I blown away! And for the record I am an Iron Duke but in no way am I a big fish, or even a tadpole. He did it because he wants people to fall back in love with Duke FB, just like everyone loves our BBall team.

In all, he as a vision and I think if he sticks around long enough he can become a legend. You just get that sense in dealing with him. I'm not saying we are going to be playing in any BCS Bowl Championship games, but I don't see why we can't at least be in the hunt in the ACC from what he has said...and even as soon as this year.

Yes I was there - My impression was that the Charlotte connection was somewhat coincidental but that he was trying to play it up since he was in Charlotte at the time. Maybe not though - regardless Cutcliffe is a great coach, a great guy, and things are really looking up.

Duke of Nashville
05-06-2010, 06:16 PM
The promise of a bowl game is not surprising, given their recent numerical increase. But promise of an ACC championship is a big thing. Hopefully they all deliver!

Last year, from what I remember, we were one game short on playing GT for the out-right championship.