PDA

View Full Version : Duke player w the most swagger?

houstondukie
05-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Swagger can be viewed as a good thing (~ confidence, pride, etc) or a bad thing (arrogance, boastful, etc). I generally view it as a good thing and I like it when a player plays with swagger, but only if they can back it up of course.

What current/former Duke player had the best swagger?

Some that come to mind...

- JJ Redick
- R. McLeod
- E. Brand

Lord Ash
05-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Christian Laettner.

/thread

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Current: Nolan but Seth can take that over this year maybe,
Former: JJ Redick, hands down.

Duvall
05-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Swagger can be viewed as a good thing (~ confidence, pride, etc) or a bad thing (arrogance, boastful, etc). I generally view it as a good thing and I like it when a player plays with swagger, but only if they can back it up of course.

What current/former Duke player had the best swagger?

Some that come to mind...

- JJ Redick
- R. McLeod
- E. Brand

Dude (http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0327/pg2_ap_claettner1_576.jpg).

houstondukie
05-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Redick versus Laettner is probably the top 2.

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Past it's between Laettner and Redick. I don't think anyone else is even close. As far as currently, I think right now it is Nolan but I think it will be overwhelmingly Mason by the end of the year.

David
05-05-2010, 10:35 PM
In terms of current players, Mason has much swagger potential...

Dahntay Jones is another former player with swagger.

Vincetaylor
05-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Definitely Laettner.

jimsumner
05-05-2010, 10:42 PM
My top 3.

3.Laettner on a bad day

2.Laettner on a good day.

1.Laettner in the NCAA Tournament.

Daniel tosh
05-05-2010, 10:44 PM
IMO you guys are underrating Kyle's swagger

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-05-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm a younger Duke fan so, I can't really speak on Laettner as much as other posters can.

Duvall
05-05-2010, 10:47 PM
We probably should not overlook Art Heyman, one of the pioneers in introducing swagger to ACC basketball.

DukeBlueNV
05-05-2010, 10:48 PM
"swagger" IMO is a mix between style confidence attitude and skill... best i can remember is redick and currently nolan has to be it.

basket1544
05-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Christian. If you look up the word swagger, you should see Christian.
A lot of players on this team will walk back down the court in an arrogant manner after making their last shot. They don't make it a way to get in the opponents' heads like Christian (and JJ) did.

Lord Ash
05-05-2010, 10:50 PM
We probably should not overlook Art Heyman, one of the pioneers in introducing swagger to ACC basketball.

Hm, good point... Heyman had it in spades.

Sooo...

Heyman
Laettner
Redick

I agree that Kyle, currently, has got a lot... so does Nolan.

Daniel tosh
05-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Wouldn't you love to have Laettner-1989-92,and Redick-2003-06 together for a SWAG-OFF :D

Jarhead
05-05-2010, 11:06 PM

Sooo...

Heyman
Laettner
Redick

Yeah, right. Art Heyman, but not any more so than Gene Banks. Ole Tinkerbell could really swagger. You all shoulda' seen him on his senior night.

Starter
05-05-2010, 11:08 PM
I'll put Jason Williams right up there with Redick. I remember being at a game in Chapel Hill where Brian Morrison (remember that guy?) slapped the floor in front of him, so Jason went out of his way to dribble close to Morrison so that he could go up and drain a three directly in his eye. When he was truly feeling it, he knew nobody could stop him. (17 straight points vs. UCLA, 38 points vs. Kentucky in the Meadowlands)

Daniel tosh
05-05-2010, 11:13 PM
I'll put Jason Williams right up there with Redick. I remember being at a game in Chapel Hill where Brian Morrison (remember that guy?) slapped the floor in front of him, so Jason went out of his way to dribble close to Morrison so that he could go up and drain a three directly in his eye. When he was truly feeling it, he knew nobody could stop him. (17 straight points vs. UCLA, 38 points vs. Kentucky in the Meadowlands)

Didn't even think about J-Will,gotta put him up there just not quite as high as Redick & Laettner

cspan37421
05-05-2010, 11:13 PM
To me, swagger is an confident attitude on display for one's opponent. Christian had tons of game and confidence, and he was demonstrative, but it was more for his own teammates, and not often directed to the other team. He barely acknowledged their existence, no more so than a pesky fly around one's face.

For swagger, I'd turn to Dahntay or JJ. Maybe Gerald, too. Look at the guys who get T-ed up for taunting. It does not happen much at Duke, but when it does, I think of those guys.

airowe
05-05-2010, 11:34 PM
1st Place

Laettner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTe-8L7GeXI)

2nd Place

JJ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMc8ThnpmjE&feature=fvsr)

Honorable Mention

Corey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLsuG9dCckE&feature=related) Maggette (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ZF_oaO1lA)

Dahntay Jones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOisVIE5NR8&feature=related)

UrinalCake
05-05-2010, 11:41 PM
I'd put Jason Williams up there too. He had such confidence and channeled his aggressiveness in a good way. Other teams didn't want to make him mad because he'd go off. Even though he didn't talk a lot of trash, he owned the floor.

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 11:48 PM
I'd put Jason Williams up there too. He had such confidence and channeled his aggressiveness in a good way. Other teams didn't want to make him mad because he'd go off. Even though he didn't talk a lot of trash, he owned the floor.

I agree with that but IMO that isn't swagger. airowe is right about Laettner and JJ even though I'm not sure which one is first in my book.

On the team now I think Mason showed flashes of swagger last season and with a vastly increased roll he will be able to flaunt even more swagger.

Vincetaylor
05-05-2010, 11:53 PM
To me, swagger is an confident attitude on display for one's opponent. Christian had tons of game and confidence, and he was demonstrative, but it was more for his own teammates, and not often directed to the other team. He barely acknowledged their existence, no more so than a pesky fly around one's face.

For swagger, I'd turn to Dahntay or JJ. Maybe Gerald, too. Look at the guys who get T-ed up for taunting. It does not happen much at Duke, but when it does, I think of those guys.

I think Christian's swagger was totally directed at the other team. His attitude was "I am better than you. We are going to kick your butt. You don't even deserve to be on the same court as me." It isn't the same type of swagger as J.J., Dahntay, etc., but it gets under the opposing teams' and fans' skins just as much, if not more.

Jderf
05-06-2010, 12:02 AM
I agree with that but IMO that isn't swagger. airowe is right about Laettner and JJ even though I'm not sure which one is first in my book.

On the team now I think Mason showed flashes of swagger last season and with a vastly increased roll he will be able to flaunt even more swagger.

For current players I think it has to be between Nolan and Mason, although their swaggers are very different. Nolan's is almost playful and lighthearted, while Mason's is very much an in-you-face kind of swagger (those reverse dunks + backboard slaps cannot be underestimated). I do think that by the end of next year it might be Mason by a longshot. Kyle definitely is one of the most confident players on the team but I don't know if I would call it swagger.

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Seth, I can see Seth having a swagger sort of in between Nolan's and Mason's. Draining three's and doing a JJ down the court. haha

Starter
05-06-2010, 12:17 AM
A little video I like watching (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avuG5Bjqk58) ... just in case Jason's unique brand of swagger -- an arbitrary term to say the least, but one we all kind of have a grip on -- is no longer fresh in your minds, and in case you're overlooking that style of play is an extension of a player's personality. Histrionics and technical fouls aren't swagger to me. Knowing you're the best, playing with that confidence and occasionally letting your opponents hear about it -- that's swagger, my dudes. Some of the shots Jason would take, the breakneck drives he would attempt, that gunslinger mentality... mercy. And of course, there's the Miracle Minute alone.

You have to give first to Laettner, obviously -- like a 6-foot-10 Eminem out there, you hated him but you couldn't stop him. Behind him were J.J. and J-Will -- that's too tough to call, as I said before. I'd lean toward the guy with a national title. I liked Dahntay, but he wasn't good enough to back up those technicals and have me call it swagger, pushups on some chump or not. And Maggette was too sloppy and egocentric for me to consider him to have swagger in a complimentary sense. I'd put Hurley's swagger -- a mix of effectiveness, intensity and confidence -- over either one of them.

Bay Area Duke Fan
05-06-2010, 12:25 AM
1. Laettner (only the 2 championships put him ahead of Heyman)
2. Heyman
3. Redick
4. Singler

Note that the first three were all POY in senior year. Can Singler make it next year?

Big Pappa
05-06-2010, 12:26 AM
A little video I like watching (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avuG5Bjqk58) ... just in case Jason's unique brand of swagger -- an arbitrary term to say the least, but one we all kind of have a grip on -- is no longer fresh in your minds, and in case you're overlooking that style of play is an extension of a player's personality. Histrionics and technical fouls aren't swagger to me. Knowing you're the best, playing with that confidence and occasionally letting your opponents hear about it -- that's swagger, my dudes. Some of the shots Jason would take, the breakneck drives he would attempt, that gunslinger mentality... mercy. And of course, there's the Miracle Minute alone.

You have to give first to Laettner, obviously -- like a 6-foot-10 Eminem out there, you hated him but you couldn't stop him. Behind him were J.J. and J-Will -- that's too tough to call, as I said before. I'd lean toward the guy with a national title. I liked Dahntay, but he wasn't good enough to back up those technicals and have me call it swagger, pushups on some chump or not. And Maggette was too sloppy and egocentric for me to consider him to have swagger in a complimentary sense. I'd put Hurley's swagger -- a mix of effectiveness, intensity and confidence -- over either one of them.

I agree that JWill was an absolute STUD but as you can see from the video (aside from the music) there isn't much swagger to his game. But, as you said, it is an arbitrary term.

Differences aside, your bolded statement is, IMO, the statement of the thread thus far. Describes Laettner exactly, love it.

muzikfrk75
05-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Redick...I mean, he got booed in the Bobcats arena last week...He hasn't played at Duke since 2006!

Sixthman
05-06-2010, 01:38 AM
I agree that JWill was an absolute STUD but as you can see from the video (aside from the music) there isn't much swagger to his game. But, as you said, it is an arbitrary term.

Differences aside, your bolded statement is, IMO, the statement of the thread thus far. Describes Laettner exactly, love it.

IMO JWill's game was his swagger. He always looked to demoralize the other team by scoring before they got their defense set. Reddick's swagger was in his offensive talent -- everyone knew he was going to run the base line and curl to the elbow off a screen and he and everyone else knew they couldn't stop him. Laettner's swagger was a more pervasive, "I'm going to beat you and put fear into the hearts of your women and children" swagger.

I'm surprised no one has mention Shane Battier. Notwithstanding his solid citizen appeal, by his senior season he had a man among boys element to his game that has to be called swagger.

Starter
05-06-2010, 02:09 AM
Sixthman's picking up what I'm putting down. JWill's game did his talking for him. And I watched this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEHsMXblbAg) tonight, got me all pumped up about Battier all over again. I remember watching this live at the 2001 banquet.

But I got love for every player mentioned (except Maggette, who I never liked), and for all you guys for bringing them up -- props for Big Pappa for appreciating the Em/Laettner parallel. I almost compared him to Tupac and was like... nahhhh. But yeah. I'm just glad Duke has its swagger BACK.

4decadedukie
05-06-2010, 07:09 AM

Heyman
Laettner
Redick

I concur. I was not blessed to see Heyman play (other than many recordings) but JJ and especially Lattner had swagger; not only an attitude, but additionally an almost constant ability to actually bring it off in the face of fierce adversary opposition -- on and off the court. We have had a relatively recent thread that focuses on the most hated Dukie; it is interesting that the same three Duke-blue stars may also lead that contest, with the logical conclusion that:

Superlative, constant, in-your-face play + additional attitude (looks) = Swagger =/~ Loathing

flyingdutchdevil
05-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Superlative, constant, in-your-face play + additional attitude (looks) = Swagger =/~ Loathing

Great equation. Gotta agree with it. I didn't see Laettner play (outside of a few replays here and there), but Redick fits this bill perfectly.

I don't think anyone on this team has the type of swagga that even closely resembles Redick. Neither Nolan or Kyle have in-your-face play. I think the two players who could easily get it are the Brother Plumlee. With their dunks (and technical fouls), they can easily build upon their swagg-a-meter.

I have rarely seen Nolan or Kyle display attitude after hitting a big shot. Sure - they celebrate, but that's not swagger. That's basketball.

That said, I love swagger. Duke has missed it since the days of Redick. Gotta bring that back.

Indoor66
05-06-2010, 08:04 AM

Sooo...

Heyman
Laettner
Redick

Jack Marin had a little bit of that as well. So did Verga.

Nrrrrvous
05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Don't I recall Dahntay doing pushups under the basket after a monster slam over someone?? Does that qualify?;)

Nrrrrvous
05-06-2010, 08:21 AM
I also recall Kyle in Booker's face last year after Kyle blocked his shot. It takes a little swagger to get in Booker's face...

Big Pappa
05-06-2010, 08:45 AM
IMO JWill's game was his swagger. He always looked to demoralize the other team by scoring before they got their defense set. Reddick's swagger was in his offensive talent -- everyone knew he was going to run the base line and curl to the elbow off a screen and he and everyone else knew they couldn't stop him. Laettner's swagger was a more pervasive, "I'm going to beat you and put fear into the hearts of your women and children" swagger.

I'm surprised no one has mention Shane Battier. Notwithstanding his solid citizen appeal, by his senior season he had a man among boys element to his game that has to be called swagger.

Some may say this is nitpicking but the man is one of the greatest Duke basketball players of all time. We gotta spell his name right: REDICK

Also, I still disagree about JWill having swagger but he is WAY closer to it than Shane. Shane was the opposite of swagger.

Daniel tosh
05-06-2010, 08:51 AM
I am a younger Duke fan so I didn't some of these guys play,but what about Wojo,did he have swagger or was it just a "your not gonna win in my house attitude"?

RepoMan
05-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Let us not forget C'Well:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2226.html

Reddevil
05-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Chris Collins would shake his head while jogging back on D after draining a 3. If he had made a couple more in the Arkansas game he may have been one of the most reviled Duke players ever!

slower
05-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Don't I recall Dahntay doing pushups under the basket after a monster slam over someone?? Does that qualify?;)

Dahntay was not everybody's cup of tea - not mine, at least. Only Duke player I ever actively disliked.

greybeard
05-06-2010, 10:14 AM
I vote for Nolan going away as the best ever swaggerer. His game this year I thought was off-the-charts great; his cold-stone step-yourself-back-a-tad dude when someone on the other team came at him or one of his team mates in a quasi aggressive fashion after a successful offensive play ain't actin folks, and to me speaks of a swagger born of a confidence and determination rooted so deep that the Devil hisownself would do well to step back.

Nolan, going away. BTW, man is that guy GREAT on the court. GREAT!

hedevil
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Past - Dahntay Jones.

2010 NC team - Nolan

Future - I'm gonna give it to Seth. Something about him tells me he will bring some swagger to the team during this quest for a back to back NC.

Big Pappa
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Dahntay was not everybody's cup of tea - not mine, at least. Only Duke player I ever actively disliked.

You may not like him but hard to argue that this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOisVIE5NR8&feature=related) isn't swagger.

UrinalCake
05-06-2010, 10:38 AM
I am a younger Duke fan so I didn't some of these guys play,but what about Wojo,did he have swagger or was it just a "your not gonna win in my house attitude"?

Wojo had confidence and played with a ton of emotion, but I wouldn't call it swagger. It was more internalized. Also, he was such an unselfish player that it was hard to think of him as having swagger. He definitely grated on a lot of opposing fans when he would try to pump up his teammates. And because, you know, he was a short white guy who looks unathletic.

Speaking of Wojo, I used to love the dog pound barks we'd give him when he was getting in someone's face defensively. We should break that out more often, like when they announce the assistant coaches.

duke4life32182
05-06-2010, 10:41 AM
JJ in the past. I agree that Mason showed signs of it and will have the most by season's end.

CameronBlue
05-06-2010, 10:59 AM
There's swagger and then there's swagger that emerges in moments of opportunity. Laettner was a champion, and rarely failed to seize the moment. Most of the rest is merely bluster.

flyingdutchdevil
05-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Wojo had confidence and played with a ton of emotion, but I wouldn't call it swagger. It was more internalized. Also, he was such an unselfish player that it was hard to think of him as having swagger. He definitely grated on a lot of opposing fans when he would try to pump up his teammates. And because, you know, he was a short white guy who looks unathletic.

Speaking of Wojo, I used to love the dog pound barks we'd give him when he was getting in someone's face defensively. We should break that out more often, like when they announce the assistant coaches.

Slapping the floor isn't swagger? We must have very different definitions of swagger then.

MCFinARL
05-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Slapping the floor isn't swagger? We must have very different definitions of swagger then.

Okay, but then don't you have to talk about Greg Paulus and Lee Melchionni--two players who were very emotional (and who definitely slapped the floor) but who otherwise didn't really seem to have swagger?

PADukeMom
05-06-2010, 11:21 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXki-yInDQg

1. Laettner
2. JJ
3 Jason (never Jay)

I think Mason could probably have swagger. I see Kyle & Nolan as more letting their talent speak for them rather than swagger.

flyingdutchdevil
05-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Okay, but then don't you have to talk about Greg Paulus and Lee Melchionni--two players who were very emotional (and who definitely slapped the floor) but who otherwise didn't really seem to have swagger?

I'd definitely call that swagger, but inconsistent swagger ;).

Our team this year is surprisingly swagger-less. With Kyrie's "H&H," it's not going to come from him next year. Kyle and Nolan are great, confident players but don't have the type of swagger of players past. I had argued that the Brothers Plumlee could easily be the next big swaggerers (yes, I just made up a word).

NOTE: Swagger isn't necessary (this year's team proved that). But it is fun to watch!

slower
05-06-2010, 11:40 AM
You may not like him but hard to argue that this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOisVIE5NR8&feature=related) isn't swagger.

I wasn't arguing it at all. I just said that I didn't like him.

Next year's team should have an abundance of swag. Mason and Nolan, to be sure. Maybe Kyrie - haven't seen enough of him to tell yet. And Kyle - well, Kyle doesn't really NEED swag, now does he?

Miles just doesn't seem to be the swaggering type. And that's just fine.

Nrrrrvous
05-06-2010, 12:07 PM
I think we've seen glimpses of Kyle's swagger over the past 3 years. Now that he has a NC and been MOP of a final four, etc, I think we are going to see a lot more out of him next year.
I feel like he's been holding back and it's a lot easier to have swagger when you're sitting on top of the mountain.

Big Pappa
05-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Next year's team should have an abundance of swag. Mason and Nolan, to be sure. Maybe Kyrie - haven't seen enough of him to tell yet. And Kyle - well, Kyle doesn't really NEED swag, now does he?

Miles just doesn't seem to be the swaggering type. And that's just fine.

I agree about Mason especially. After the season ends I don't even think it will be in question who has the most swagger on the team. Enjoy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqmfa0MdLnc).

DukeSean
05-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I agree about Mason especially. After the season ends I don't even think it will be in question who has the most swagger on the team. Enjoy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqmfa0MdLnc).

yea, you gotta have some swagger to attempt dunking 3. nice.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-06-2010, 12:21 PM
I've resisted this conversation, but now feel that I want to add my opinion to the conversation.

Those of you who cite players from about 1990 to the present day have mentioned some good choices, but I have to say that after watching Duke basketball for years, nobody touches Art Heyman. The attitude, the presence burns through even in still pictures. His mercurial presence on the court could ignite an arena in a way few players have ever done.

Others have mentioned some additional players from the Bubas era.... Marin, Verga.... all possibilities for this discussion, but my next choice would be a post Bubas era player, Gene Banks. He brought a level of confidence Duke had lost during the down glide between the exit of Coach Bubas and Bill Foster's entrance on the scene.

hedevil
05-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Those were some sick dunks.

Mason's nasty!

slower
05-06-2010, 12:31 PM
I think we've seen glimpses of Kyle's swagger over the past 3 years. Now that he has a NC and been MOP of a final four, etc, I think we are going to see a lot more out of him next year.
I feel like he's been holding back and it's a lot easier to have swagger when you're sitting on top of the mountain.

I agree. He gave us a few JJ-style head shakes after draining 3s this year, so he might just release his inner swag next year.

I can't see K putting up with TOO much swag, though. Disrespecting opponents is not his style.

Starter
05-06-2010, 01:36 PM
So listen, with that equation someone posted, being loathed is not a requisite or a substitute for swagger. James Dean had swagger. My man Frank Sinatra, who lived in my town, had swagger. As the great poet Ghostface Killah points out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klByHG-dKR4), "My swagger is Mick Jagger." None of those guys were hated. Laettner had swagger independent of the fact that people hated him, though he fed into people's opinion of him willingly.

And yeah, I think Kyle's got some swagger -- leaving it up there with a grin after some of those dagger threes, letting the crowd hear about after a dunk. He just didn't show it off that often this year; he had a championship to win.

magjayran
05-06-2010, 02:12 PM
In my time I gotta go with
Christian
Dahntay
Shane
JJ
Chris Collins

honorable mentions to J Will, Bobby, and Brian Davis. For what it's worth, I hear that Marty Clark talked the best trash during games.

Duke of Nashville
05-06-2010, 02:32 PM
People..people.....

Andre Buckner beating up (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/357778-unc-duke-recounting-the-past-decade-in-the-greatest-rivalry-on-earth#page/7)Matt Doherty has swagger written all over it......

cspan37421
05-06-2010, 05:36 PM

Isn't the game played with one ball?

I'm getting my grumpy old man on. When I watch that stuff, sure it's impressive, but I can't help but remember when Coach K and Coach Knight were being interviewed, and they were asked if there was anything about the modern game they liked better than the old days.

A few seconds of awkward silence, and, basically, it was:

"Nope. You?"

"Nope."

Daniel tosh
05-06-2010, 05:54 PM
After watching Mason this year he seems kind of shy,but once hets gets better i expect to see more of the unc game and wake forest game type of swagger from him.Also just a note on Kyle,on a local sports radio a few weeks back they Mike Gminski on air and he was talking about how Kyle talks alot of trash.He said he talks more trash than anyone.I kind of like that about him.:D Kind of makes me think of Larry Bird

cato
05-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Dahntay gets honorable mention for the best single example of swagger in the 25 years I've been following Duke basketball: the push-ups after the dunk.

JJ also gets honorable mention for his trademark outstretched arms and nod.

And I'm sure others have some flair, but Laettner walks away with this one.

Jeff0r3
05-06-2010, 08:32 PM

+1 and that is a great video! I miss ole Jason Williams!

Newton_14
05-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I have to agree with Laettner as hands down 1 and Redick hands down 2.

For current players, to me it is easily Kyle. Kyle talks mucho trash during games. You see it better when you are catching the game in person, but he lets his defender know early and often in most games who the man is.

He did dial it back a bit this year as far as openly showing it. The smack talk with Booker is actually the last time I recall seeing Kyle openly talk it up for all to see. He was way more open about it his first 2 years.

Kyle has a lot of Laettner's qualities which is a good thing and why he is such a winner. I do not like "taunting" and that is really not how I would describe what Kyle does either. As an example you would not see Kyle do what Henson did after Henson dunked "near" Miles in the game in Cameron, and then got up in Miles face heading back up the court. "Yeah man I got a putback dunk near you dawg and now we're only down by 28". That was a braindead stupid freshman move.

But Kyle definitely gives opponents an earful most games.

dukeballboy88
05-06-2010, 10:10 PM
when you talk about the greatest and anything that has to do with duke basketball, Laettner is the top of the list. he was the greatest college player of all time.
i love the story during the timeout of the duke kentucky game that grant hill told on mike and mike.
he said after woods made the layup to go up 1, k called the timeout. got em in the huddle and drew up the play and said "grant can you make the pass?" grant said, "yes!", k turned to laettner and said, "can you make the shot?" Laettner replied, "if grant makes the pass ill make the shot!"

now thats swag!

Gthoma2a
05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Laettner and Redick for all time. JJ was the Prince of Cameron in his day and was looked at as a trained killer when we were visiting. He had swagger in spades because he knew he was going to put points on the other team and bury them. Laettner just had that, "I could do this with my eyes closed" attitude.

This year that is coming up has swagger in spades. Kyrie has more confidence and ability than any freshman we have had in years. Dre has sick swagger and gets the most pumped about dominating a team of anybody. Nolan has that veteran, "you can't throw anything at me that I haven't already seen" swagger. Kyle has the swagger of a gladiator that you will have to kill to stop. Mason's swagger is that he is bigger, better, faster, and no matter what you do, you aren't going to stop all of the guys on the team. Seth has a shot, the confidence of his lineage, and the pent up will to ball from having to sit out during a championship season. Don't underestimate Miles' swagger either. He had started to come into his own last year and I expect him to be feeling it when it sinks in that he is already a national champ on a team poised to repeat.

dukemsu
05-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Laettner, and it isn't close.

Laettner projected swagger just sitting on the bench in introductions, wearing his old Adidas shooting shirt when the other guys had the new stuff on.

Laettner not only didn't show any fear against Mourning, Shaq, Larry Johnson, or the entire ACC, he projected contempt towards them all for even daring to play against him. Even on the rare occasion he lost at Duke, his attitude remained.

He pretty much invented it from a Duke perspective.

dukemsu

Big Pappa
05-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Isn't the game played with one ball?

I'm getting my grumpy old man on. When I watch that stuff, sure it's impressive, but I can't help but remember when Coach K and Coach Knight were being interviewed, and they were asked if there was anything about the modern game they liked better than the old days.

A few seconds of awkward silence, and, basically, it was:

"Nope. You?"

"Nope."

Very true that it's played with one ball but he made quite a few amazing plays with just one in that video as well.

I understand about the old school game but this thread it about swagger. Plenty of guys in the "old school" game had swagger as well but it seems like people forget that. Heyman, Gene Banks, Verga, and even Laettner had an "old school" game with plenty of swagger.

Coach K and Knight may not like anything better about the modern game but swagger is something that extends across all generational gaps.

dukeballer2294
05-06-2010, 11:23 PM

ahaha funny you should mention him because he is not the assistant varsity coach at my high school

sagegrouse
05-07-2010, 05:53 AM
I hope...

Others have mentioned him in the posts above, I believe, but here is a quote from Lenox Rawlings's excellent column (http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/may/07/transition-in-the-acc-some-will-stay-some-go/sports-columnists/)linked on the Front Page:

"...Seth Curry, the latest deadeye from the first family of lasers."

Wow!

sagegrouse

Nrrrrvous
05-07-2010, 08:49 AM
So I went to check the definition of swagger, just to see and what do you know...

(Hopefully my attachment works)

MCFinARL
05-07-2010, 11:29 AM

So--do I see J-Will slapping the floor about 2 minutes into this video?:)

Starter
05-07-2010, 01:57 PM
So--do I see J-Will slapping the floor about 2 minutes into this video?:)

Could be... and slapping the backboard on a dunk directly after that.

CEF1959
05-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Laettner schooled Mourning when they played head-to-head in March of 1989, saying after the game, "He [Mourning] wasn't talking as much in the second half as he was in the first." And Duke won by 18. IIRC, Mourning blocked Laettner's first shot, which Laettner calmly put back in and then didn't miss from the floor the rest of the game.

Laettner also schooled Shaq in February of 1991 when they played head-to-head, with Duke winning again by 18.

Except for the famous non-stomp, Laettner was not that demonstrative with opposing players on the court. But the guy could swagger.

So yeah, Laettner. JJ was flashier and talked more, but Laettner was cool in teaching more highly touted big men how to play the college game. Then the three of them went 1-2-3 in the draft.